Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carrie Fisher was a treasure .

I miss her .

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2021 4:18 AM

Now she is a buried treasure.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 4:03 AM

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 7:04 AM

And the bipolar and an alcoholism were just color to that vibrant personality.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 7:09 AM

Maybe her audience were bipolar and people with alcohol and drug addictions. The "Hollywood Royalty" thing of her parents had faded by about the time she was born, and what a grim talentless mother caught in a time warp her whole life. The big blowsy no filters personality might have been more appealing had she not had all the many other excuses.

I never found much charm or humor or insight behind all the faces of Carrie Fisher. There was no part of her story that ever grabbed - the one exception might be the stories of her turning over a guest house to various people she barely knew, for them to write, or rehearse, or just hole up. That at least is interesting and generous, more so than the "I'm so fucked up!" schtick.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 8:09 AM

She surely had her demons, but she was talented enough to give at least as much or, per chance, more in sheer talent to make up for it. A charmed life? Sure...perhaps. What of it anyway?. In life there are no guarantees. I'm sure she'd be able to add a few great script re-writes. Perhaps something off-beat at least. Now, well never know. This is how we can better define depression.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 9:30 AM

She made M seem sufferable by writing her speeches.

That took real talent.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 11:18 AM

She was best friends with Griffin Dunne

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 3:30 PM

She really was. 2016 was a shitty year in general, we lost a lot of great talents. Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Carrie & her mom. I was crushed by the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 4:49 PM

Me too.

I know she had lots of issues, but she was just so fucking talented.

by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2021 12:44 AM

Saw her one woman show at Studio 54 and she was hilarious. Great storyteller.

by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2021 12:49 AM

She roasted George Lucas to within an inch of his existence at his year to be honored at the AFI.

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2021 1:11 AM

Carrie was intriguing fun

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2021 1:42 AM

Outside of Princess Lea for a brief moment, her charm evaded me. Sad way to die, though. Addiction really didkick her ass, then kill her at its leisure. Felt sorry for her mom to outlive her child. Must have hurt her so much she died so soon after Carrie. Thought her mom had more sparkle than Carrie by a long shot. Would have loved to do lunch & drink w. Mom. Carrie, not to be rude, but if I had to do lunch, I would have worn earplugs.

by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2021 1:48 AM

She had mental illness which she talked about and helped others. She was an addict because she would self medicate. and that was her downfall. But she was wickedly funny.

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2021 1:54 AM

R14 FFs she lived in Hollywood was massively rich, like she couldn't find a shrink? Spare me the self medicate blather. She was an addict, not her fault. Doesn't matter how it happened. What is sad is there is loads of help for it. To die like that on a plane. JFC that thought of it, is just dreadful. I still feel great compassion for her, and for any active addict who has to die an addict's death, even though, I never saw her charm or humor.

by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2021 1:59 AM

Her second husband left her for another man - even though she was gay-friendly I suspect that this didn't do much for her self esteem.

First hubby singer Paul Simon and her didn't get along very well so it ended in divorce. Didn't have much luck with men.

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote]Carrie Fisher was a treasure .

Stop typing a space before your stops/punctuation, you insufferable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 17October 29, 2021 2:17 AM

Actually, Carrie is entombed with Debbie. They have a beautiful ‘grand resting place at one of the most exclusive resting places in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2021 2:23 AM

"resting"

That'll be a long-ass rest

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2021 2:24 AM

[quote]Spare me the self medicate blather.

She had a real serious mental illness that regular prescribed medication didn't help for a century sufferers were institutionalized. So shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 20October 29, 2021 2:39 AM

She was Princess Leia. And that was all. If she'd never gotten that role nobody would have ever heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 21October 29, 2021 2:43 AM

I feel like in an earlier version of Hollywood she would have had a place. Her wittiness would have been embraced.

Just as an earlier era of Hollywood would have better appreciated Lucie Arnaz.

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2021 4:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!