Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jeff Bezos Thanks Amazon Workers And Customers For Paying For His Trip To Space

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2021 4:58 AM

His girlfriend makes Guilfoyle look like Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 12:45 AM

I have seen people disparaging this quote but I don't really get what's so bad about it. Like, you know that's how he made his billions, right?

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 12:45 AM

I don’t really get what’s bad about this quote either. The media is all in a tizzy, but where’s the lie? If he wasn’t a billionaire through Amazon’s employees and customers, he never could have funded this venture. I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 12:47 AM

R2 / R3 I think what people take issue with is that if he wants to truly express his gratitude in a way that benefits others than just himself, he could pay his fair share of taxes and improve working conditions for his warehouse employees. Instead, it kinda smacks of "thanks to your contribution, I've gone to space."

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 12:49 AM

Wait, he’s back already? Didn’t he just leave today?

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 1:00 AM

Amazon is really good with returns, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 1:03 AM

r5 they went to space for like 2 seconds and came right back down.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 1:06 AM

Someone needs to thank African slaves for all their hard unpaid work and all the spilled blood from brutality for making the United States a wealthy country.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 1:08 AM

They're dead, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 1:09 AM

It's the thought r9.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 1:10 AM

So are some of the Amazon workers.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 1:10 AM

[quote] [R5] they went to space for like 2 seconds and came right back down.

What was the point of going for 2 seconds. That’s like a roller coaster ride. What a waste of money. I thought they were going to be gone for months on a mission.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 1:12 AM

I get that it's his money and he can do what he wants with it but it should be better spent on something other than this flagrant display of public masturbation.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 1:20 AM

R12 because its all about measuring dick size with the feeble minded dumbfucks. They didn't get daddy or mommy's approval so they di this sort if stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 1:20 AM

R12 Its the first step toward our future in the cosmos. Regular citizen/non-astronauts in low earth orbit, even for a few minutes is a huge and historic deal. Small steps.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 1:21 AM

Fuck our future in the cosmos R15. Let's try and solve the problems of today.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 1:30 AM

R16 Agree 100%. I'd rather leave space exploration to the experts at NASA, who have decades of institutional experience and where as taxpayers we can all benefit from the discoveries yielded from the investment made from our tax dollars.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2021 1:33 AM

CUNT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2021 1:34 AM

r15 I guess you didn't know that Bezos envisions that everyone should live in space and Earth would be like a big vacation spot/park system like Yosemite.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2021 1:35 AM

He’s planning on eventually moving to Mars as earth is dying.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2021 1:37 AM

"Someone needs to thank African slaves for all their hard unpaid work and all the spilled blood"

Most caucasian U. S. Americans are not descended from slave owners.

Most African-Americans, however, are.

So sue your great-great grandfather if you want money.

If you want

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2021 1:41 AM

Y’all are being short sighted. This is a monumental achievement. There is so much learning that comes out of this. This is culturally and scientifically significant and will only continue to be so. Who knows what knowledge will grow out of today’s endeavor. You needed the Wright Brothers’ plane out of Kittyhawk to get to where we are today. Who knows where we will be tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2021 1:45 AM

I think the idea is to leave us poors behind and the rich will live in space.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2021 1:47 AM

Calm down, R22. Thanks to NASA's achievements, we've already been on many space missions that have been much longer, more monumental and of greater historical significance than what Bezos did today. But if you want to keep blowing him, better you than us.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2021 1:49 AM

[quote] There is so much learning that comes out of this.

Why? Did he bring back samples?

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2021 1:52 AM

Why is his girlfriend so ugly and trashy? Can’t he afford someone better?

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2021 1:53 AM

I work for that company , oddly enough no broadcast on the employee website of the launch and no mention of it all all

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2021 2:00 AM

R24 and r25 Of course today’s mission couldn’t have come without NASA’s accomplishments - no one is saying otherwise. But regular citizens being able to travel to space (even low earth orbit), who have not had to train as astronauts, opens up a whole world of access and possibility that we didn’t previously have. Yes there are issues with cost that may take 100 years to work out. Today was a significant step toward opening up space exploration to future generations. Branson and Bezos are imperfect people, but that doesn’t take away from these scientific endeavors.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2021 2:00 AM

Whitey on the moon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2021 2:02 AM

Did he specifically thank Frances McDormand for her service?

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2021 2:04 AM

R22 / R28 These are all good points you make. While you're on this train of thought, you may also want to consider whether it's in the best interest for regular citizens / humankind to be at the mercy of the whims of private billionaires for such profound innovations. Also, ask yourself what some of the reasons might be that NASA hasn't had a viable successor space travel program since the Space Shuttle retirement in 2011. Is it possible that the latter has anything to do with tax levels on corporations and private wealth have been so sharply reduced over the last 40 years dating back to Reagan, that we no longer have the reserves to make such ambitious investments much less keep our roads and bridges from crumbling and keep our fraying social safety net intact?

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2021 2:14 AM

What if they brought something back with them, like a stowaway or a virus? I guess we’ll know if they start dying one by one or if things pop out of their stomachs.

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2021 2:15 AM

It'd be cuter if he found E.T.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2021 2:16 AM

Even Bezos isn't dismissing the criticism.

[quote] The critics are “largely right”, Bezos said. “We have to do both. We have lots of problems here and now on Earth and we need to work on those and we also need to look to the future, we’ve always done that as a species and as a civilization. We have to do both.”

However, when it comes to "we have to do both," I would rather Bezos and his ilk start by paying their fair share in taxes and paying their lowest earning employees better living wages. Maybe some of those contributions could go toward solving problems on this planet before indulging in billionaire vanity projects like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2021 2:21 AM

I doubt I have bought enough from Amazon to pay for that God awful ugly cowboy hat, but your welcome Jeff.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2021 2:22 AM

I absolutely think Bezos and his Ilk should pay their fair share of taxes. It would go a long way toward “we have to do both.”

by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2021 2:25 AM

Fuck the argument about innovation. Innovation from what? Dicking around, doing nothing but trying to privatize "space fights"? Ask these billionaires pushing electric vehicles, how it felt to burn that much fossil fuel on NOTHING new. Maybe he should thank OUR tax dollars for creating the internet, where his customers can buy their cheap shit from his company -- all while he decides he's above paying taxes. Must be fucking nice.

If Amazon fucked off tomorrow, my life wouldn't significantly change in any way. So much for being like the "wright brothers" (eyeroll).

by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2021 3:31 AM

You didn't build that!

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2021 3:35 AM

He’s the richest man in the world from selling cheap Chinese sweatshop crap to stupid lazy Americans. We deserve this asshole.

by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2021 4:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!