Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cybil Shepherd

Why is she so cold and blunt? So icy 🥶

by Anonymousreply 70May 22, 2022 11:53 PM

What has she said or done?

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 8:38 PM

Read her book and watch interviews with her, Lucifer @ r1 . She seems detached and constantly judging with no compassion .

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2021 8:55 PM

Because nobody can spell her first name correctly?

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2021 8:57 PM

WASP

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2021 9:01 PM

Combine cold and blunt and what do you get?….

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2021 9:22 PM

Blold?

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2021 9:23 PM

She was good on The Lady Vanishes.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2021 9:26 PM

She was great in BIRTH OF A NATION.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2021 9:28 PM

R5, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2021 9:29 PM

Her mom chained her to a piano. Have some empathy asshole.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2021 9:30 PM

I always found her a bit brassy and wondered why. I mean she didn’t have to be so attention seeking.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2021 9:32 PM

She was too cool To be a pin up dream girl.

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2021 9:34 PM

Cybill is a tough ol' broad.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2021 10:43 PM

A certain type of gay men have an affinity for cunts

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2021 11:30 PM

I have absolutely no idea!

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2021 11:31 PM

She became a born-again Christian a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2021 11:40 PM

She was expecting many more meaty roles after The Last Picture Show. She thought it was going to skyrocket her to superstardom.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2021 11:45 PM

Link r16?

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2021 11:49 PM

R17 and it really could have. The trouble seems to have been that the next few collaborations with bogdanovich were not well received. i thought she was rather good in “daisy miller”and had that been more successful perhaps she would have gotten more meaty parts. I have to say she did pretty well for a model turned actress in her first couple of roles and then later on “moonlighting”. I would like to have seen a screen test if she made one for “day of the locust”, while Karen black did well im interested to know what kind of performance John Schlesinger could have got from her. She would have been an interesting Faye greener, someone with the looks but not the talent to make it.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2021 5:06 AM

She was in Being Rose. Her character was dying. Normally I would cry over movies like this, but her death was a relief.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2021 5:14 AM

I should add long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2021 5:24 AM

If she were a man would you be asking the same question?

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2021 5:32 AM

R18 Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2021 5:36 AM

She was always quite limited as an actress, and as a singer. Also as a human being, it would appear. P

Christine Baranski appears to have DETESTED her when they worked together on Cybill. The woman has zero self awareness over what a cunt she was at the time, and remains to this very day. She's just a nasty piece of work

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2021 5:51 AM

R23, I hope Christ changes her heart and she finds peace.. r24,I get the impression that Baranski is a colder fish than Cybill

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2021 5:56 AM

She was preparing to play Martha Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2021 5:59 AM

She was apparently a nightmare to work with on CYBILL, and no one on the show liked her at all, except for Tom Wopat, who was desperate to get work and knew which side his bread was buttered on.

Cybill always gets some love on DL from posters who like the idea of rebellious women in Hollywood acting out. But she was less of a Bette Davis or an Olivia de Havilland, and much more of a Roseanne or a Sharon Stone: that is, someone who is desperately insecure, who isn't playing entirely with a full deck, who fights with everyone, and who blames everything on everyone else instead of ever admitting any culpability.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2021 6:03 AM

[quote] I would like to have seen a screen test if she made one for “day of the locust”, while Karen black did well im interested to know what kind of performance John Schlesinger could have got from her.

Black did a good job, but I always thought she was miscast. She's just not the knockout beauty Faye is supposed to be, one who drives men crazy. Cybill might have done OK with the right director, but I'm not sure Schlesinger was the one to get a good performance out of her. I picture them being at each other's throats constantly.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2021 6:06 AM

Cybil was a gorgeous woman

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2021 6:18 AM

r27 = Les Moonves

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2021 6:47 AM

Cybil was not so civil.

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2021 7:06 AM

If she wanted to be a singer, instead of doing cheesy standards, why didn’t she try doing a Hi-NRG album during her Moonlighting days?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2021 10:47 AM

I always liked her a lot. She was tremendously famous and had a good career. I feel like MOONLIGHTING is what she’ll be remembered for most fondly, even though we’re aware of all her other stuff. At least for my generation (I’m early 50’s).

I like her detached icy coldness. And I believe horror stories about working with her. So what.

I found a copy of her autobiography a few months ago in a second hand book store and bought it. Very trashy but I loved reading it. Her bitchy controlling ways do come through. But she’s able to laugh about all of it. It made me more of a fan.

Her being from the south (like myself) makes sense to me that she would return to her Christian faith late in life. Full circle southern girl!

I always thought her character in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW was basically a blueprint for her actual personality. That may not be true, but it’s how I always saw her and admired her for it.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2021 11:23 AM

She’s amazing

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2021 11:36 AM

She was pretty, but not model pretty.

Pretty for…television.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2021 12:21 PM

She's hell to work with. She seems to be one of those difficult women with whom only gay men can work. A (gay) high school classmate of mine ran her production company

by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2021 12:28 PM

R36 Riiiight

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2021 1:55 AM

What will her datalounge obitchuary say?

At Long Last Death?

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2021 2:51 AM

Baranski seems like a witch too

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2021 5:05 AM

She had to have had a very healthy ego that she never gave in to losing weight in a decade when all actresses were rail thin. She always looked beautiful but really downright chubby compared to her contemporaries.

I also remember as a kid her marching for gay rights (during Moonlighting) when hardly any celebrities did. Any interview she gave on the subject she’d say “I’m straight but not narrow.” Funny the things you remember.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2021 5:15 AM

R39. Agreed. Baranski was a two time Tony winner when she was cast in Cybil and was outraged when Cyb claimed to have discovered her. I think they’re both cunts.

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2021 5:16 AM

And no plastic surgery r40 . She is strong and I admire that

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2021 5:30 AM

[quote] She seems to be one of those difficult women with whom only gay men can work.

Even they can't. Alan Ball has spoken at great length about how nightmarish it was working with her on "Cybill."

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2021 5:56 AM

R40 She was one of the speakers at the 1993 March on Washington. I completely forgot about that.

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2021 11:00 AM

Some are cunts from life experience, some were simply born that way.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2021 11:06 AM

Maybe Cybil was tough behind the scenes of her show because LES MOONVES wanted to sleep with her and was bugging her?....So everyone hated her on the show and SHE could have saved all their jobs if she slept with him (allegedly).....Seems to me Cybil had a lot of pressure on her at CBS....But Julie Chen Moonves still works there?...THIS is why I don't believe in Karma...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2021 11:49 AM

[R41] yeah, as much as Christine had won two Tony's, she could have walked down any street in America other than Broadway totally unrecognized before "Cybill".

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2021 11:59 AM

I think she learned from an early age that she was beautiful in a specific shiksa goddess way that so many straight guys go nuts for, and that she could use that to easily manipulate people into doing whatever she wanted. Her looks brought her fame and fortune and admiration on a global level, and seemingly anything she wanted was hers.

Then she grew older and lost that magic, and she's grown progressively angrier and more embittered ever since.

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2021 2:30 PM

Wha ended the relationship between her and Bogdonavich?

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2021 2:47 PM

Many celebrities seem to have at thing for men several years older than them, especially the females; that's impeding. This attraction also helps attractive people to be attracted to unattractive-looking, also often unmanly-looking, men; so, many have sex with and romantic feelings for unattractive, also unmanly, men who are their age. It's similar to attraction to older men, I guess; people generally become much more unattractive with age. The whole thing helped a lot during the heyday of the casting couch, which she still experienced partially.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2021 3:28 PM

[R41] I've always found Christine Baranski to be impossibly arch, mannered and not a particularly creative actress. She's like a one-dimensional drag queen dripping with sarcasm who underscores her obvious lines, sips her martini and then waits for the expected laugh to arrive on cue. There's nothing fresh or spontaneous about her. And she has that rat face. Not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2021 6:19 PM

Blondes are like that.

by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2021 6:40 PM

I know two different people who were fired as Shepherd's personal assistants.

It's not just that she's difficult; if my friends are to be believed, she's also sadistic.

Willis and Baranski both despise her, and booze has ruined her looks.

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2021 6:50 PM

What rhymes with “HUNT”?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote]Willis and Baranski both despise her

Bruce Willis has zero room to talk. The stories of his awful behavior are numerous.

She's right in a sense that men got away with being assholes while women are punished. Bruce got an Emmy and an A list movie career, despite being an even bigger prima donna than Cybill on Moonlighting. Even Curtis Armstrong admitted that while both were difficult, Bruce had the advantage of having the male executive producers in his corner. Thus his appalling behavior, such as berating people on the set if he were in a bad mood were often overlooked. Cybill, on the other hand, was reamed out over the slightest infraction.

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2021 7:23 PM

[R55] The notion that actresses are better behaved than actors and that differences in treatment are based on sexism is complete nonsense. Performers are valued according to their ability to capture eyeballs and put asses into seats, period. It's only the Faye Dunaways of the world who claim otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2021 8:37 PM

R51,yes

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2021 9:03 PM

R51: in the right doses, that's her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2021 9:31 PM

Baranski also has a terrible nose job. Don't know what the original schnozz looked like, but the one she has now is just awful.

by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2021 10:39 PM

Rosanna Arquette likes Cybill at least lol just saw her reply on this Rosie tweet.

Rosanna worked with Cybill in 2019 so maybe she's chilled out a bit in her 70s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2021 10:43 AM

I remember watching The Last Picture Show and being unimpressed, but I was young at the time. Should I rewatch it, now that I am a mature and thoughtful GAY MAN?

by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2021 10:57 AM

R61 yes

by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2021 11:01 AM

Her whorish behavior over the years has not helped her reputation.

by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2021 11:01 AM

I can’t see her being promiscuous. Bogdonovich is a nice man, but not attractive.

by Anonymousreply 64July 23, 2021 2:11 PM

She was good in "Moonlighting" and "Cybill". As far as her being difficult, maybe had to fight people who wanted her to compromise her vision as an actress. "Cybill" was her show and I have no doubt she was constantly pressured to do something different to please some executive or demographic. Hollywood sounds like a bitch of a business. I don't judge her. I'm a nobody in Ohio and I'm difficult AF.

by Anonymousreply 65July 23, 2021 3:21 PM

Well they didn’t want cybill from the start in “moonlighting”, didn’t they want Cheryl ladd? Maybe that caused some tension from the start. I also heard the Dawson’s mother on Dawson’s creek was considered for the role, but she seems not statuesque enough to play a former top model.

by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2021 3:36 PM

She was a model in real life before Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2021 3:38 PM

R61: It's a great, timeless film. Cybil obviously couldn't act but her role as a pretty but somewhat dim girl with money didn't require much. The rest of the cast is made up of solid character players.

by Anonymousreply 68July 23, 2021 4:33 PM

R68 I love Eileen Brennan in her other films in “the last picture show” I feel she was channeling Patricia neal in “hud”. The supporting cast was so good.

by Anonymousreply 69July 23, 2021 4:42 PM

[quote]didn’t they want Cheryl ladd?

You might be thinking of Shelley Hack.

Shelley Hack got the Cybill role on the Moonlighting knockoff Jack and Mike which aired right after Moonlighting, both on ABC.

by Anonymousreply 70May 22, 2022 11:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!