Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you like to watch cartoons?

I'll go first:

Yes.....my favorites are Johnny Quest, Looney Tunes ( the excessively violent ones) I love watching Wiley Coyote get an anvil dropped on his head ,Rocky and Bullwinkle, and of course Yogi Bear and his little cub Boo Boo.

You?

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2021 2:15 AM

Kids just don't know what they've missed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 4:04 PM

Of course I loved cartoons when I was a kid but then I grew up. When I go over to a friends house and the adults are glued to the TV watching cartoons I am just dumbfounded. They seem to be just as mesmerized as the kids. I don't get it. Cartoons just don't hold my attention.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2021 4:16 PM

During the 1990s when reality programming took over live action TV and TLC and Discovery switched from traditional educational documentaries to freak shows, I found myself watching Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon: Space Ghost Coast to Coast, The Brak Show, Spongebob, Samauri Jack, Johnny Bravo, Invader Zim. I also loved Dr. Katz.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2021 4:29 PM

Steven Universe! Damn that was a good show.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2021 5:13 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2021 5:24 PM

R3

I noticed that too..........Space Ghost is a favorite

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2021 6:25 PM

Currently: Bobs Burgers, The Simpsons, Rick & Morty, Big Mouth, and Solar Opposites

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2021 6:30 PM

R3 Reality tv took starting taking over the air waves in 2000 not in the 90s.

Bug Brother, Survivor, etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2021 9:43 PM

I have fond memories of watching Looney Tunes with my grandpa. He was a generally grumpy dude but loved Road Runner and Bugs.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2021 9:55 PM

You know.....Looney Tunes has this campy Gay undertone in some of the cartoons.... I started to wonder if Mel Blanc was Gay or something....giving him some sort of 'insight'........but no.....hetero family man... ...you have to admit that Bugs was pretty gender fluid...for 1950's

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 1:27 PM

I love them. But not the modern ones, with the exception of Simpson, Family Guy and American Dad.

I mostly watch the old school Looney Tunes, Droopy, The Flintstones, Jetsons, and all the 70s mystery solving teens cartoons. Those are my faves.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 1:30 PM

Animation is just a medium. Saying you won't watch cartoons is just as stupid as saying you won't watch black & white TV shows or silent films.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 1:33 PM

Yogi fucking BooBoo? I did not need to read that.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 1:38 PM

Yes. Current/recent shows I love (mostly superhero shows):

Young Justice Outsiders Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir

I also need to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains on Pluto TV now that we’ve finally got the English. But I keep procrastinating. There are also a lot of other anime I’ve been meaning to get into but with the # of episodes I get overwhelmed lol. Also, I don’t have Netflix but there are some cartoons there I wanted to watch and never got around to.

I’m hoping they come out with a new X-Men animated series that includes my fave, Emma Frost!

My favorite older cartoons are Justice League Unlimited, Avatar The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, Kim Possible, Totally Spies and Yu-Gi-Oh! Also, Yuri on Ice.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 1:55 PM

I'm weird, but I prefer old school animation. I love watching the Flintstones and seeing the background repeat. It just makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 1:58 PM

I like South Park and Simpsons too.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 3:37 PM

R13

You mean the idea of Boo Boo taking it hard is a turn off.........

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2021 3:44 PM

Looney Tunes will never get old. They were actually made for adults in the beginning and, yes, lots of gay subtext.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2021 4:01 PM

The classic Looney Tunes and early Disney films and shorts are wonderful. Carl Stalling was a genius. Daisy Duck is a hilarious portrait of the consummate hypocrite. How the Grinch Stole Christmas is just about perfect. The Pixar films are mixed, but Finding Nemo was brilliant. My Neighbor Totoro was charming as are similar films from Japan. The older Tom and Jerry cartoons and MGM shorts were also hilariously funny. Tex Avery was a lunatic.

I sort of see Scooby and the gang as culturally significant for several reasons, but I can't watch those things anymore. And the rest of that generation of animated shows always left me cold. Josie & the Pussycats? Jabber-Jaw? Top Cat? The animation wasn't good enough and neither was the writing - all you had were the characters and they were too often copycats or just plan annoying.

Rick and Morty is great. South Park and The Simpsons had their moments. The Oblongs is a weirdly likable little show, likewise Home Movies. Too much of the current stuff is too fake-zany for me.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2021 4:18 PM

I saw this ancient cartoon in reruns back in the 1980s. Courageous Cat and Mighty Mouse. I love the villain the Frog. Even the theme song is cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2021 5:10 PM

You dern galoote......come and get a taste of leather....now you'll get your lumps...tat-tat-tat..... give me more....give me more............. .I like it ..I like it

Yosemite Sam and Bugs Bunny

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2021 10:31 PM

I watch repeats of Hey Arnold

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2021 10:33 PM

I watch the old school toons on MeTV+ on Toon In With Me. They show a lot of Loony Toons, Tom & Jerry, Droopy, Pink Panther and some really fun oldies. The show itself is a throwback to local cartoon shows from the 60s/70s. It’s on too early on MeTV, but they rerun it at 11 in MeTV+.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2021 10:43 PM

This is totally lost on anybody who doesn't watch TCM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2021 10:43 PM

I watch the Flintstones sometimes. And King of the Hill when the mood strikes me.

Oh and how can I forget Tom and Jerry is still one of my favourites

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2021 10:53 PM

Not particularly but Bullwinkle is possibly another matter.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2021 11:12 PM

I love the flintstones

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2021 11:34 PM

Does Archer count? .. He's hot .. lol!

I also used to watch Æon Flux when it was on late-night MTV.

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2021 11:42 PM

I like the old ones when I catch them, as r23 mentioned on MeTV. I occasionally make time for Bob’s Burgers.

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2021 11:43 PM

I like Apple & Onion. Anyone else here a fan?

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2021 11:54 PM

I agree, R12. It's such an American thing to say "cartoons are for kids". We can thank Disney for that narrow mindset.

Japanese anime has produced many tv shows and films that have adult themes because it's for an adult audience. The Japanese recognize that it's just another way of telling a story.

Looney Toons, Family Guy, and South Park still make me laugh. For non-comedy, I like to revisit X-Men: The Animated Series and Dungeons & Dragons.

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2021 11:59 PM

I will watch old Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry stuff. I hate the later, crappy looking Tom & Jerry though. I was a fan of the Simpsons up until about 10 years ago, then lost interest. The only cartoons I still like are South Park and The Venture Brothers. Japanese anime... it's too strange. Either it looks like a nightmare with giant robots, monsters and ghosts, or the characters are drawn like a five year old did it - a very simple face with big eyes and a mouth that moves like a puppet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2021 12:09 AM

*Looney TUNES

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2021 12:31 AM

I want to live in a world where ww2 tank combat is a girls high school team sport.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2021 12:58 AM

I bought some of the older cartoons I enjoyed on DVD for my nieces and nephews. They really liked "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop", "The Pink Panther Show" and "Johnny Quest". Obviously not a cartoon, but they didn't like "The Brady Bunch" at all, for some reason.

There are so many that I loved as a kid, like "The Groovie Ghoulies", "The Jetsons" and "Wally Gator", to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2021 1:59 AM

Archer and I occasionally like to smoke a bowl and watch old JEM episodes.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2021 2:05 AM

Johnny Quest had a remarkably good theme.

4 trumpets, 6 trombones, 5 woodwind doublers, 5-man rhythm section including percussion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2021 2:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!