Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pick my Premier League ⚽️ team

For ethical, social and emotional reasons I can no longer support Chelsea Football Club, so my fan services are available to a different PL team—ideally one with a low-key but fierce reputation, a sort of scrappy throwback loyalist outfit. I already support a National League team (atm Level 6, sadly) so I’m not in the market for that as well.

Tell no-one, but I’m also semi-boycotting the Premier League (not paying subs or giving clicks to official media channels), but also I’m not naive enough to think that the pyramid will collapse without one fan, so I’ll still pirate-stream games and follow results of whichever club I choose next.

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2021 10:49 AM

No-one here had a dad who neglected them to watch the football? I find that hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 3:52 PM

Brentwood have been promoted to the First Division for the first time ever, so I suppose they’d be a good choice as a fan starting over. Can’t be accused of bandwagonning or gloryhunting by support for an obscure team who only just walked in the door and desperately need a growing fan base.

Then again, their kit this year is atrocious and they don’t have any fitties playing for them. And their nickname is the Bees, which is too ridiculous to credit—how are Bees going to sound taking on Hammers & Wolves & Spurs? (well, actually they might do ok there—“lads, it’s Tottenham”).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2021 3:56 PM

It’s too gay to support Brighton, isn’t it? It’s too gay.

Plus I hate seagulls. I was divebombed by one as a kid at the seaside and never got over it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2021 6:47 PM

Forgot to include West Brom in the poll! They’re actually one of my nearest local big clubs, but shamefully I’ve never bothered to have a close look at them.

Hmmm, their vibe seems healthy and positive. They finally came up to the Prem last year along with Leeds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2021 10:43 PM

Wolverhampton are another team close by me geographically, and they are reported to be entertaining and passionate as a midtable club.

However, looking over their fanclub boards their fanbase seem a bit homophobic. And they seem to hate your fantasy boyfriend and mine Jack Grealish, which is unacceptable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 8:44 AM

Most of you are saying West Ham. How come? My old shameful fave Frank Lampard used to play for them long ago, so there’s that.

Southampton & Palace have also got a few votes from DL, but I assume that’s because they are the poshest and prettiest sounding names.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 8:19 PM

Leicester City!

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 8:53 PM

R7 ‘Jamie Vardy is having a party....’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 8:56 PM

R7 well, I do love Foxes. Only rural ones, though; the scabby urban types aren’t so lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2021 10:08 AM

West Brom was relegated at the end of last season R4, they're back in the Championship.'

Everton not included as a poll choice? Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2021 11:43 AM

Wanker Alert!! #2 It's not Brentwood, it's BRENTFORD.

It's not about the kit, or how the players fill their shorts, it's about the spirit & how they play, you dolt.

Doubt you're English, but if you are you'll know what I mean when I say you've got Victoria Sponge crumbs on your chin, you Cottager, you..

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2021 11:50 AM

[quote] Everton not included as a poll choice? Hmmmm.

R10 errr yeah about that...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2021 12:44 PM

R11 typo on my part. Wrote the poll when I was slightly banjoed and only realised the spelling mistake a day later. Also, given I don’t follow Championship, I had no idea who they were until last week. Sorry to Brentford, no disrespect meant to the lads😆

Afraid to say I am actually English and with a basic reasonable intelligence; I’m just very out of the loop of the game. It’s been a few years since I followed the football closely; mostly because life & finances got in the way, and a bit due to the fact the late 2010s Premier League was the most tedious overdone ticky-tacky shite to watch (and that’s being kind). But now everyone’s saying that for some reason the League is picking up and looking fun again (maybe due to La Liga & Bundesliga taking a nosedive), plus the recent Euros have everyone back in the mood for it, so I thought now might be a timely moment to jump back in. Also I’m currently trying for a career/job change, and it is such soul-crushing activity that I need a consuming distraction, and I find football does the trick for me (following Chelsea in the mid-late 2000s got me through a hellish school experience). My father is a Man United stalwart, the rest of my family either West Brom or Chelsea, and I grew up seeing games on telly as a tiny toddler. So I know very well what the sport is all about, ta. If I make jokes about the players’ looks or kits, it’s just in the spirit of flesh-and-fashion obsessed DL.

Really I’m not really looking at following any of the Big Six clubs, for the same reason as I’m eschewing Chelsea—too much obvious corruption to overlook. Yes, I know the whole League is complicit and benefits from said corruption, but it’s nicer not having it shoved in one’s face as the billionaire owners tend to do. If it weren’t for my wobbly sensitivity when it comes to that, I’d be a Man City fan just so’s I had a weekly excuse to admire John Stones’ face, or a Liverpool fan so I could enjoy Jordan Henderson doing manful heroic things.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2021 12:57 PM

Are there any English teams that are still owned by the English? I’d start there.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2021 12:58 PM

[quote] any English teams that are still owned by the English?

R14 well, in the current PL that would only leave Brighton, Newcastle, Stam & Spurs. Arguably and technically Crystal Palace & Everton for half a point each as well, if we’re counting split ownership. Burnley had always had Brit owners until last year when an American bought them; overwhelmingly, PL clubs are owned by American backers (8 or 9 clubs, at last count?). Middle Eastern & Chinese investors are also creeping in, which probably only spells certain doom.

In the subsequent lower tiers: just under half of the EFL owners are English, and the same is true of League One (did you know that former Disney exec Michael Eisner owns Portsmouth? I didn’t until I looked it up just now). However, League Two still has a majority of English owners, more or less 90%—obviously CEOs with millions to play with are not that arsed about buying and backing the likes of Cambridge United, Newport County FC or Swindon Town.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2021 1:22 PM

the struggles of Harry Kane are apparently so bad right now that he literally wants Spurs to sell him to like Brighton Hove Albion tomorrow for £40 M&S vouchers and a packet of Wrigleys chewing gum😔

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 9:55 AM

Here we go again. This is for the Dumb & Dolt.

Brentford is owned my Matthew Benham, ENGLISHMAN. He has been a Bees supporter since childhood.

Built them the new stadium Brentford Community Stadium, to replace much loved old wreck Griffin Park. Had a pub @ each corner, only one in UK w. this thirst quenching claim.

Brentford was in the Top Division, known as the First Division just before & after WW2. So, this promotion to the PL is pretty awesome.

Now as to those who say 'Oh the Bees' what a lame name compared to Wolves, Spurs, etc. Remember your science, No Bees no food.

PS. The Bees just signed a 6'6" blonde adonis center back. I'd hit it!

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 1:12 PM

[quote] The Bees just signed a 6'6" blonde Adonis center-back

And no half-naked pics to back up that statement? R17 must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 3:27 PM

[quote] Brentford was in the Top Division, known as the First Division, just before & after WW2.

Interesting. First Division lore is so wild to me, especially comparing it to Premier League. The hierarchy has changed so much.

In the 1946-7 season of the Football League (the season of fateful relegation for Brentwood, sorry), Liverpool won the League (their 5th cup) and Manchester came second in points, which isn’t a remarkable result in today’s landscape. The clubs who followed them in points, however, are none of other ‘Big Six’ clubs—Wolves came 3rd in the table, followed by Stoke, Blackpool, Sheffield United, and Preston North End (who today barely cling on to their place in the EFL, let alone qualify for the Premier League). Furthermore, despite coming 19th in the table, Charlton Athletic still won the FA Cup that season. Truly they were different times.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2021 11:10 AM

Solskjaer just got hammered in a pre-season against QPR hahahahaha

fuck being a Man United fan tbh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2021 5:18 PM

Once again with the Brentwood. Its BRENTFORD. As in the ford of the River Brent (The River Brent is a river in west and northwest London, England, and a tributary of the River Thames. 17.9 miles in length, it rises in the Borough of Barnet and flows in a generally south-west direction before joining the Tideway stretch of the Thames at Brentford). Sheesh!

Also, I am no one's personal internet search agent. If you want to see photos of Kris Ajer..do it yourself.

As to the old days. Check out the stats for First Division of Arsenal during that time period. The first PL game is BrenFORD v. Arsenal, old history there, will be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2021 3:36 AM

R21 nice trivia, thanks. Truly the Thames is the hardest river in England.

But really mate, you’re getting wound up deliberately by autocorrect. Just take this thread off watch, pop a vike, and go and have a sit down somewhere before your heart explodes, yeah?

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2021 8:49 AM

Not me psychically whispering to Hendo asking him to leave Liverpool and come to a non-B6 club so I can stan him🤫

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2021 9:02 AM

Go Bees!! BRENTFORD (not wood) tied Manure in friendly today. Of course Manure had to hack down one of Bees when things weren't going as planned. Thought they were going to roll right over the Bees. Ha Ha! Got stung. Hammers next.

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2021 10:45 PM

Absolutely creasing me that no-one has voted for Leeds. Of course fucking not.

As a teen I went to a few of the festivals, and that was enough of Leeds for me mate.

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote] Of course Manure had to hack down one of Bees when things weren't going as planned.

R24 Man United have always played like dirty shitkicking little scumbags with no touch. Fergie used to dress it up as ‘psychology’, but really they’re no better than Burnley or an EFL team in that regard. No style, no skill, no class—just pure grinding down of the opposition. It’s why glamourous show-pony Becks had to leave (though even he succumbed to their rude ethic).

And I love that they aren’t winning titles or making the Top Four anymore, and that even as they buy expensive players and run shapes with a fury still they’re slowly sinking down the table with horror; the hubris is delicious.

Now, I’m no great fan of Liverpool or Everton or Man City, but I can acknowledge that those teams always did have something else to go on than just kicking lumps out the opposition and chatting shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2021 8:33 AM

Have to love the fan spirit of Liverpool. They love their team full stop but without the hooliganism of Manure or even Chelsea.

Feel like Everton just can't get a break(latest stuff w. their player.accused of sexual weirdness...ouch!), so always root for them.

But my heart belongs to the Bees! Such a major deal..waiting till 1947 to come back up. How nice if there is some old boy who got to see them go up before he dies.

So, its Go Bees!! for me

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2021 7:36 PM

Native Scouse LFC fans are adorable in their infectious enthusiasm and bubbly chattiness. They don’t half spout, though! (and I still wouldn’t cross one....)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2021 8:18 PM

r27 - Liverpool fans love their team WITHOUT the hooliganism? It's Liverpool fans who got English teams kicked out of Europe and more recently attacking other teams coaches, shooting fireworks at a building starting a fire (building owned by Everton's owner) For me you don't get much worse fan behaviour in the PL than the Kopites

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2021 9:20 PM

[quote] shooting fireworks at a building starting a fire (building owned by Everton's owner)

R29 sometimes the very existence of terminally-unlucky Everton just makes you want to weep into your hands, doesn’t it? They’re such Calamity Janes.

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2021 10:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!