Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Take Her, She's Mine

Got everything for the eldergay

Wacky, predictable plot line, Sandra Dee, Audrey Meadows, Gilligan and that dreamy Charles Knox Robinson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 2:31 PM

It is a dull thud of a movie that I'm unable to sit through. Stewart was too old and Sandra Dee never learned to act. Audrey Meadows was a delight but lost in the mess.

The stage play gave the great Elizabeth Ashley her start on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2021 1:04 PM

This is the kind of thread title that can lead one down a rabbit hole. From Wikipedia: The film was based on a popular play with Art Carney. It was written by Henry and Phoebe Ephron based on Phoebe's correspondence with their daughter Nora when the latter was at college. They wrote the script in six weeks and sent it to their agent. Both Josh Logan and Hal Prince wanted to produce it; the Ephrons decided to go with Prince as Logan wanted big stars.

The character of Mollie, played by Elizabeth Ashley on Broadway and in the film by Sandra Dee, was based on the then 22-year-old Nora Ephron. Ashley's performance won her a Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Play and served as the launchpad for her career.

I didn't know Nora's parents were playwrights... I had never heard of the play... Elizabeth won a Tony for this? Wow... how interesting that a play none of us really know could be so well-received that it garners a Tony for a young actress. For some reason, I have always wished I saw Art Carney on stage. Was this before or after The Odd Couple?

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2021 1:51 PM

You forgot to mention the absolutely dreamy French actor Phillip Fouquet.....

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2021 1:57 PM

They played this in heavy rotation on the Fox Movie Channel. A much better Jimmy Stewart movie from the same era, also in heavy rotation on that channel is "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2021 2:35 PM

Gilligan

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 2:04 PM

r3, you mean Phillipe Forquet Viscount de Dorne.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 2:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!