Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The new generations are growing up without many or even any great female vocalists

Specially of black singers. Back then you not only had Aretha, but Dionne, Gladys, Patti and several others.

Nowadays what do the newer generations have? Just Beyonce won't cut it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 21, 2021 1:43 PM

There’s plenty.

0/10

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2021 5:33 AM

Beyonce is not a great vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2021 5:35 AM

Honey, the new generation is growing up thinking trash like Cardi B is talent. It’s a sad state of affairs.

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2021 5:40 AM

Cynthia Erivo

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2021 5:43 AM

Ariana Grande is leading the charge, JHud, Miley has good voice too.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2021 5:46 AM

In the pop world? Not many these days.

Gaga has a big, nuanced voice. Ariana has the talent, but no form. JHud for black singers. But she's not really popular.

Like R4 illustrated, said great vocalists are out there. They just aren't really on the radio/Spotify playlists. You have to find them.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2021 5:46 AM

Yes I’d have to say Ariana Grande and Gaga are more on par as singers, but still a stretch. The rest I would say are more vocalists.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2021 6:02 AM

OP here, I was referring to great big vocalists (specially black women) on top of the pop charts.

Not many of them.

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2021 6:17 AM

It's so much about looks, attitude, fashion, sexually provocative behavior these days and they all try to outdo each other for shock effect and headlines.

I don't think popular music ever was as trashy and low artistically as it is now.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2021 6:23 AM

Lizzo.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2021 6:23 AM

I don’t think there is a huge demand for them among younger generations. Music is pretty much disposable now. Not a lot of development of sound, song composition, etc It’s more about fast production and singles to get hyped so people will download. I remember sharing some pop song that was like two months old with a 20-something friend and she acted like I’d shared something ftom the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2021 6:30 AM

It’s more that even if they can sing now, their songs are shit.

Obviously it’s personal taste but you can’t beat a well structured song with verses, a decent chorus, and god forbid, an actual tune.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2021 6:31 AM

I actually just listen to mostly 70s / 80s soul and R&B now. I wish it were different, but most music today can’t hold a candle to the music produced then. It’s partly due to COVID I’m sure, but honestly, the caliber of music has nose dived.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2021 6:42 AM

Emeli Sandé and Leona Lewis? Emeli often write her own songs. OP types narrow and limited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2021 6:57 AM

R14: they both have great voices but haven’t had any real success for a decade now. I do love that Emilie Sandé song you posted.

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2021 6:59 AM

Jazmine Sullivan.

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2021 7:09 AM

There's some great new music out there, but it's not mainstreaming. One DJ on BBC radio has an amazing music show once a week. He plays a combination of old and new. Highly recommended for sophisticated RnB, Jazz, Blues, Soul lovers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2021 7:11 AM

Jazmine Sullivan is great but she hardly can't reach the top 50 on the Hot 100.

What I mean is that the new generations are growing up thinking the caterwauling of Olivia Rodrigo is this kind of great singing.... when it's shit.

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2021 7:16 AM

I don't think that's true. There are memes clowning Rodrigo's SNL vocals.

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2021 7:16 AM

We honor those greats who paved the way for other greats. They have a place in music history that can not be denied. However, the current generation of big vocalists often cite Whitney, Mariah and Celine. They have been studied and imitated with every attempt failing miserably. That's because bombastic vocals and pop ballads are irrelevant to what is currently celebrated as popular music. We love a good vocal performance and live for the nostalgia of it all, but that alone is not going to make you a star anymore. You have to be like Normani and practically scissor yourself in your video to be relevant anymore. And don't forget to sprinkle in some faux lesbianism with Cardi B (it's a prerequisite).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2021 7:33 AM

The record companies force this synthesized crap on us so they can avoid paying session musicians and pocket the savings.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2021 9:23 AM

Well, piracy has also played its part.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2021 9:25 AM

So they combat it by making music so bad even pirates wouldn't steal it.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2021 9:29 AM

Is Jamie Cullum just known as a “BBC DJ” these days? Man, I’m old.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2021 9:31 AM

[quote] Ariana has the talent, but no form.

What does that mean as a singer? I’m not knowledgeable about vocals so I’m curious.

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2021 10:10 AM

[quote]You have to be like Normani and practically scissor yourself in your video to be relevant anymore. And don't forget to sprinkle in some faux lesbianism with Cardi B (it's a prerequisite).

You can thank Madonna for the faux-lesbo shit in pop music. That stupid whore is one of the reasons talent is no longer needed in music. Everyone relies on gimmicks now.

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2021 10:33 AM

Donna Summer came before Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2021 10:48 AM

Great example of artistry in OP. She's not singing her own material, engaged with the crowd and performing for the joy sharing and not just fame & fortune. The only person I can think of who even attempts those things--to varying degrees of success--is Kelly Clarkson.

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2021 12:10 PM

Have none of you heard of the Radio 1 Live Lounge? It's very common for artists to do a cover. It's a way to go viral. "Just for the love." Gladys was looking for gambling money!

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2021 12:22 PM

[quote]Is Jamie Cullum just known as a “BBC DJ” these days? Man, I’m old.

No, but he is actually the DJ on this/his excellent weekly radio show on BBC. I know he's a musician too.

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2021 12:32 PM

I'd be happy if pop music was still like Madonna. Her pop music wasn't bad at all. Miles above what's hitting the charts these days.

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2021 12:34 PM

MTV killed music when it made everything about the visuals. Plain artists don’t get a look in (even the rare fatties are attractive)

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2021 12:45 PM

I think Celeste has a tremendous potential. She has a definite look, the right attitude and most importantly, real talent, both as a recording artist and a composer.

I love "Stop This Flame." Too bad it was released just as Covid-19 was taking hold of the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2021 12:46 PM

Beyoncé is not a singer OP. Kelli Clarkson is a singer. Jennifer Hudson is a singer.

Yes, there are almost no divas right now. Vocal pop is a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2021 1:06 PM

Ariana does this hideous thing with her jaw when she tries to do some vocal run. Like its in seizure and moves up and down rapidly. I don't think that would be considered a good technique and the bitch never enunciates the word she sings. She's like the Anti-Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2021 1:38 PM

That's an affectation. She enunciated when she sang Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2021 1:41 PM

Did people already forget about Adele?

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2021 1:55 PM

Oscar and Grammy winner HER

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2021 1:57 PM

[Quote] Did people already forget about Adele?

Nodules.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2021 2:07 PM

Beyonce is a great vocalist. Aretha, Patti, Whitney have all commended her on her vocal talent. And they weren't shy at all about calling out non-singers by name. Here's Simon Cowell saying she made him eat his own criticism of her after she came onto his show and gave one of the best live vocals he's ever heard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2021 2:14 PM

[Quote] they weren't shy at all about calling out non-singers by name.

Great gowns? Beautiful gowns?

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2021 2:17 PM

If you are into the '70s, 80's or 90's sound, just listen to it. In the past, popular tastes dictated how popular music was manufactured and brought to the popular consumption method, i.e Radio, TV.

Because of subscription streaming and internet radio, I don't think new pop music has the same place in popular culture as it once has. With this easy availability, past hits are just as accessible as new pop garbage.

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2021 2:50 PM

Oh, it does. Rap is the pop music of today.

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2021 3:00 PM

15 year olds are the market for pop music. Songs wont chart if artist doesnt appeal to children. Jazmine Sullivan does not appeal to little babies . These kids play songs over and over on spotify, youtube or wherever 1 million times a day, whether they are actually listening to the songs or not just to get their favorite artist’s song to chart. Which is why the charts are mainly rappers, billie eyelash, olivia rodrigo, kid laroi, bts. There are real singers and musicians out there. 15 year olds dont know or care who they are.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2021 3:13 PM

As previous mentioned. Great female vocalists are around but they don't appeal to kids especially if they're singing about grown women's issues. I also would say the same about great male vocalists. The popular artists with teenagers are mostly famous for their image and relatability, they often originate off of social media and get into music after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2021 7:56 AM

Ariana is a good singer despite her weird enunciation but her music does absolutely nothing for me and it's forgettable. I hate that she has been in the game for so long and still has yet to find a distinctive identity for herself.

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2021 7:57 AM

Jessie J

Pink!

Rita Ora

by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2021 7:58 AM

Pink has been in the game for a while. She is an OG and earned her dues. I wish Kelly Clarkson would try to make more music with a good writer and production. Fantasia is also good and just needs a good team. I'm happy Jazmine Sullivan is still around and killing it. Beyoncé really needs to go back to singing like she did on her earlier albums.

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2021 8:01 AM

Madonna is an excellent singer, dancer, actress, and model. At 22, she has had more success and acclaim than many of those that came before her, like Cardi B, Lizzo, and Taylor S.

By the time she hits 30, she will be a timeless icon!

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2021 8:11 AM

In 2017, Emeli Sandé won the Brit Award for Best British Female Solo Artist. Wasn't it kinda success though?

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2021 8:23 AM

Ariana has a great voice, great sense of pitch, enormous range... and terrible technique. She is this generation's Mariah. She'll have vocal nodes in a decade's time. Adele is this generation's Toni Braxton: smoky excellent alto.

Kelly Clarkson doesn't make much music anymore because she's fried her voice from belting at the edge of her range for the last 15 years, which is a shame. Hayley Williams from Paramore is probably the best female pop-rock vocalist around right now.

There are some great singers in R&B like Jazmine Sullivan, Kennedy Rd., Shae Universe, Ayeisha Raquel, and Alex Isley, but R&B has fallen out of vogue with all the TikTok pop princess industry plants like Olivia Rodrigo being shoved down our throats.

Likewise with folk-rock people like Maggie Rogers and Phoebe Bridgers and even older ones like Ingrid Michaelson - all lovely voices making weird as hell sleepy music. Some very good singers in country, too. But none of it is teen princess pop so it's not selling or being marketed.

Some of you have never bothered to open Spotify on your phones in your lives, and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2021 8:28 AM

It just seems weird, but I guess if there isn’t a market for it, then there isn’t going to be a lot of energy put into developing and producing raw talent. It’s intriguing given how amateur talent shows like The Voice are an industry now. Seems like artists, much like pop music today, are largely disposable. R51, thanks for the artist suggestions!

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2021 7:05 PM

I agree with the posters saying Beyoncé is not a vocalist. She has one high note and no range. She is more concerned with visuals than vocals and her music is bland. However she has the beauty, charisma and stage presence that makes a star.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2021 7:16 PM

Beyoncé is basically Diana Ross 2.0 but I think Diana's voice had more emotion to it. Beyoncé never seems vulnerable especially since she adopted that Afrocentric goddess persona since her self-titled. She had a lot of great vocal moments on B'day, Sasha Fierce and 4.

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2021 8:37 PM

I never could get into Beyoncé for that reason. She can sing songs like Listen, but you never really feel she’s connected. It’s like she’s performing a task.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2021 10:02 PM

This is how to do it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2021 10:05 PM

That's pretty impressive R56!

by Anonymousreply 57July 20, 2021 10:10 PM

Beyonce does have range, just not a high range. Her range is about the same as Adele's. She gets quite low in "Halo," for example, and she can do it just as well live.

by Anonymousreply 58July 20, 2021 10:57 PM

Beyonce can sing her ass off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 20, 2021 11:13 PM

Felt and did that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 20, 2021 11:15 PM

Two words: Connie Francis

by Anonymousreply 61July 20, 2021 11:41 PM

Oh well 🤷🏼‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2021 12:08 AM

Because they're being taken over by the quartet of Albanian whores:

Dua Lipa

Bebe Rexha

Dua Lipa

and the slut that started it all Rita Whora

Even though they're not singers I like5 Eliza Dushku and that actress that played George Lopez's bimbo daughter. I thought she was Mexican! George probably was fucking her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2021 12:18 AM

You're welcome, R52! If you want other very good female singers that are more niche pop than R&B, I recommend Tori Kelly, JoJo, Qveen Herby, and Christine and the Queens. JoJo in particular is damn underrated, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2021 1:03 AM

I meant Ava Max, didn't mean to repeat Dua Lipa.

by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2021 4:59 AM

I just think it sucks that music is now more about image and style and less about actual talent. Luckily I have enough music and knowledge of past genres to enjoy the rest of my life. I was just so used to looking forward to new music, but not anymore. I think it’s just about changing your mindset and not expecting great music to be released on a regular basis. Enjoy what you have!

by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2021 5:08 AM

R66: so true. I did used to think how weird it would be being, say, 70 (I’m three decades off that still), and the huge amount of music I’d have in my collection, (or on my iTunes or Spotify playlist as it would be now) but even though there’s still a fair amount of new songs I like, the days of even 10 great albums coming out in one year are long gone for me.

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2021 5:59 AM

Please stop posting these sad clips of Beyoncé. They just convince me further that she can’t sing. The voice is simply not impressive.

by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2021 1:12 PM

r68, no.

by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2021 1:27 PM

r68, no

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2021 1:28 PM

Awful. I’m embarrassed for you R70.

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2021 1:30 PM

Hitting all those while dancing and pregnant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 21, 2021 1:31 PM

r71, I promise you I don't care. Back to Beyonce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 21, 2021 1:37 PM

The weird Beybot is going to banned camp like the Janbot. She's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 74July 21, 2021 1:41 PM

r74, I don't speak mayo gay stuck in the 70's. But I'm sure that meant something to you..

by Anonymousreply 75July 21, 2021 1:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!