Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Dead Files" on the Travel Channel

Any fans? I recently started watching it on Discovery Plus, and it's a hoot. The medium, Amy Allan, walks through reportedly haunted locations and does a "reading" of the place, while a retired NYPD detective does historical research on the property. She is so spot-on in practically every episode that I have a hard time believing he isn't sharing his notes to inspire the "dead people" she comes in contact with. Regardless, it's quite fun. The history of the locations is usually pretty interesting, and Allan makes ridiculous, gurning faces throughout, and curses like a sailor throughout her "walks" to the point that every other word is getting bleeped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2021 6:09 AM

I watch this program. Back when it was a new and hot show, they used to air bloopers. Steve was an actor for a period of time. There are shots of him clowning about in a bubble bath that are also incongruous with the grim nature of The Dead Files. Amy eventually married the fella that clears the houses of things that might clue Amy in on the personalities of the clients.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2021 1:36 AM

I like the show, but it is unbelievable to me that she is spot on everytime. Also, she never has just a ghost haunting a placce whichis most common-it’s always some kind of weird creature or something. I have seen dead people myself and am a bit of a psychic empath-nothing great. I like Amy, but feel the show is staged too much.

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2021 1:43 AM

This show is a very guilty pleasure of mine, OP. Yes, Amy's expressions are fabulous.

One thing that cracked me up every episode is the part when she says, "I've made you a sketch," to the client. Bitch please, you did no such thing. You hired a sketch "artist." And, considering how awful most of the drawings are, why would you want to take credit?

Also, around the time I watched the show, I worked at a middle school. I had a student on the spectrum who wanted to be a cop and feigned a New York accent despite being a native Texan. He sounded just like Steve D. One of my favorite students. I hope he's happy and doing well.

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2021 1:45 AM

R2 I find Amy very likable too, and she at least *appears* to be going off the cuff during her reading of the places. I do believe that people are able to tap into the energy of a place and possibly perceive things that have happened there, and she does make that distinction on the show—if she feels something is "residual," she says so. But yes, she is too spot-on for me to fully believe the arc of each episode. I also like Katrina Weidman from "Paranormal State" and "Paranormal Lockdown"—I think she's since done a show with Jack Osbourne. She seems legit to me, possibly more than Amy—she's not a psychic, but just an investigator who explores haunted places. She seems to make a conscious attempt to rule out practical explanations for things before determining whether or not there is some sort of supernatural activity happening.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2021 2:03 AM

The show is fake as fuck, but a guilty pleasure from time to time. The producers do a little bit of research into historical records in advance and they phone into Amy when they are interviewing the guests and spill her the deets, then she pretends to be "psychic" when she finally meets them.

This most recent season is so cookie cutter with each episode. Every single guest claims to see "shadow people with no faces". Every single drawing the artists come up with just happens to be spot on...

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2021 2:19 AM

Has anyone noticed how Amy will sometimes slip into random accents when she's talking? At times she'll pronounce words like someone from Wisconsin, and I've notice others where she sounds like she's a straight-up lifelong Brooklynite. It's very weird. She is from Denver, which, to my knowledge, does not have a noticeably pronounced accent, similar to a lot of the western states.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2021 3:46 AM

I bet Steve was cute when he was young. He has that classic Italian-American New Yorker look. He's short though and can't really carry the weight he has—he's got a huge beer belly. I Googled him and couldn't find any photos of him in his youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2021 6:06 AM

Also, there is something about Amy I find endearing. I don't know what it is, but she seems sweet and genuinely quirky. I've noticed in the later seasons that it looks like she may have used some of that Dead Files cash to get some cosmetic procedures. Her face looks a little "stretched" (or possibly botox-ed?) in the last couple of seasons. She looked cuter before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2021 6:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!