Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Jan Brady Really a Mental Case?

I happened to see a few minutes of an episode of "The Facts of Life" with a woman who looked like an adult Jan Brady (Eve Plumb) talking to Jo about becoming a nun (I know lesbian becomes a nun, big surprise).

I googled it and found this little story:

"Eve Plumb, best known for her role as Jan Brady on “The Brady Bunch,” appeared on two episodes of “The Facts of Life” as the sister of Blair Warner. While rehearsing a scene in which their characters got into a physical fight, Plumb accidentally punched Whelchel in the face."

So Jan/Eve 'accidentally' slugged Lisa Welchhel during her guest appearance on TFOL? Is this more evidence of her life-long resentment of pretty blondes, as with her sister Marcia, Marcia, Marci? Did Jan/Eve ever grow out of this or did it progress into some kind of full-blown psychosis?

Does this have anything to do with why Jan/Eve didn't participate in some of the Brady Bunch reunion shows. On the latest reunion show, the HGTV remodel of the Brady Bunch house, Jan/Eve seemed to participate the least and definitely came off as dour and unexcited to be with the others. Or does this maybe have something to do with the "Portrait of a Teenage Runaway" phase she went through, where she played a teen who turned tricks for cash?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 12, 2021 6:44 AM

I doubt Eve Plumb is a psycho but she does look like a bitch sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2021 6:38 PM

Eve’s parents invested her BB money wisely, in real estate, and so she never has had to embarrass herself like Chris, Barry, Maureen, and most notably, Susan.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2021 6:47 PM

It all comes down to Pamelyn Ferdin laughing at her. It scarred Jan. It could have very easily turned into a Carrie incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote]It all comes down to Pamelyn Ferdin laughing at her. It scarred Jan. It could have very easily turned into a Carrie incident.

Oh so was there precious Menstrual Blood?

If only we could've gotten our hands on Jan at Michfest - the Womyn of Michfest could've changed all of this!

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote]so she never has had to embarrass herself like Chris, Barry, Maureen, and most notably, Susan.

Susan looked and sounded like a drunk on the HGTV show - I think she's going to be embarrassing herself regardless of whether or not there are cameras around.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2021 7:02 PM

I just watched that episode, too. Eve’s character doesn’t punch Blair; Jo does. Eve looked the best I’ve ever seen her look in that episode.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2021 7:03 PM

Is this considered EST?

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2021 7:07 PM

She seemed fine to me.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2021 7:31 PM

Eve is always such a humorless stick in the mud in interviews. Can't lighten up for even a moment about anything Brady related.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2021 9:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2021 9:54 PM

Eve Plumb did an interview on a TV show called Good Morning Connecticut or something recently for a Ru Paul drag production of an old Brady Bunch TV script. I found it on youtube. She was understated and just let the circumstances speak for themselves. I was very amused at how she presented herself. She was absolutely not competing for attention.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2021 10:08 PM

I wonder if her years on the street as a teenage runaway make it hard for her trust and open up in interviews?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2021 10:17 PM

I'm Jan.

I grew up in a house without a toilet.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote]She seemed fine to me. George Glass

George, you seem fascinating. Tell us more about you.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2021 10:20 PM

OP, you're confusing Eve Plumb with the character she played on "The Brady Bunch."

Eve and Maureen "Marcia" McCormack didn't have problems in real life until they got much older. They were pretty good friends on the set of "The Brady Bunch."

And as far as I remember, the characters of Marcia and Jan only have serious problems getting along in two episodes: (1) "Her Sister's Shadow, which is the "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" episode--but Jan resolves her envy problem by the end of the episode, when she is praised publicly for insisting Nora Coombs wins the prize mistakenly given to her), and (2) the episode "Marcia Gets Creamed" (what an unfortunate title!),where Marcia is fired from the job at the ice cream shop and Jan is promoted. But again, they resolve their problems at the end of that episode too.

For most of the show's multiple seasons, Marcia and Jan are portrayed as close friends who actually get along very well.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2021 10:31 PM

R15 I appreciate the time and consideration you've given in writing your reply to the OP's obvious shit post.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2021 10:45 PM

[quote] Eve and Maureen "Marcia" McCormack didn't have problems in real life until they got much older.

This is true by all accounts. Apparently, the problems started when Mo implied she and Eve had some lesbian encounters on TBB. Eve didn’t appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2021 10:46 PM

Eve has really mellowed with regard to The Brady Bunch in recent years if you’ve seen her participation on Andy Cohen’s show or A Very Brady Renovation. People need to be nicer towards her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2021 11:22 PM

There’s too many options here. My brain hurts.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2021 11:24 PM

[quote]While rehearsing a scene in which their characters got into a physical fight, Plumb accidentally punched Whelchel in the face.

No accident about it. Bitch tried to tell me about Jesus and pray the gay away.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2021 11:38 PM

Peter at R3 was so fucking cute.

8 year old me had a HUGE crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2021 1:01 AM

Eve isn't the problem, Susan is the real cunt.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2021 1:11 AM

Yeah, Jan/Eve seems kind of subdued and goofy.

Cindy/Susan has become the crazy alcoholic lady from the trailer park who screams about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2021 2:36 AM

I'm sure that cunt Lisa Welchel deserved a good punching!

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2021 2:40 AM

Girls! Girls!

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2021 2:44 AM

Eve's digs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2021 2:47 AM

Blind as a bat

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2021 2:49 AM

It's funny how the 90s films portrayed Jan as being this borderline crazy bitch obsessed with Marcia and Marcia was a stuck-up bitch who belittled Jan. It's the image that is in people's head now that lives on. Granted those 90s parody films were works of art and funnier than the actual show. But in the actual TV show, Jan was just an average albeit frumpy girl who had typical insecurity because she paled in comparison to the pretty and confident Marcia. Marcia was never mean to her and they got along fine. In the last season, Jan became pretty, won a popularity contest and even kept a job that Marcia got fired from.

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2021 2:54 AM

Jan was the one who was the most like Crazy Aunt Jenny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2021 2:57 AM

Also, Marcia had her own constant problems that had nothing to do with Jan: letting the role of Juliet go to her head, trying to join the Boosters, wanting to become head of the cheerleader squad, wanting to go to the big dance with BMOC Doug Simpson...

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2021 3:01 AM

But Marcia got some prime Dick!

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2021 3:04 AM

It was all Rita, Rita, Rita, r30!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2021 3:06 AM

R3, it actually DID turn into a Carrie situation! And they ALL DIED!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2021 3:18 AM

I just want to slap that smug, self-satisfied grin off Rita's cunty face!

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2021 3:20 AM

[quote]the episode "Marcia Gets Creamed" (what an unfortunate title!)

Not as bad as "Bobby Gets Double-Teamed" when he joins 2 Little League teams, and gets away with it until the teams play against each other.

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2021 3:21 AM

Hi everybody!

Yeah, it's me...whatchall lookin' at?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2021 3:24 AM

I can attest, she's a psycho cunt.

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2021 3:26 AM

R33 Thank you. That was a gem!

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2021 3:27 AM

R28 Those movies were great except the third one. The less that can be said about that one the better.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2021 3:28 AM

[quote]I can attest, she's a psycho cunt. George Glass

Such interesting opinions from you, George.

Please tell us more.

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2021 3:30 AM

OMG, r33, did I tell you or what? This can all be traced back to Marcia Marcia Marcia Wallace!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2021 3:37 AM

When the off-Broadway scene was alive and well!

The Real Live Brady Bunch with Jane Lynch as Carol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2021 3:46 AM

Lisa Whelchel is a BITCH .Cannot blame Jan/Eve From wanting to slap the 💩 out of her. After All she's only human .

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2021 3:47 AM

R43 I agree.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2021 3:49 AM

Olsen showed up drunk on a local morning radio show in the early 2000s. If memory serves she was subbing for a DJ. She lasted about 20 minutes before they pulled the plug.

by Anonymousreply 45July 19, 2021 4:16 AM

Susan looks like what my mom looked like when she didnt have her dentures in.

A lifetime of smoking and poor dental hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 46July 19, 2021 4:40 PM

Susan has kept the long, straight hairstyle for forever. It’s no longer flattering her appearance.

She turns 60 August 14. All of the “kids” will be 60+ by then.

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2021 7:12 PM

Oh, and Jan? Come back when you're pregnant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2021 10:04 PM

Show some respect. Her husband just died last month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2021 10:16 PM

Wow - Eve bought a tiny beach house in Malibu in 1969 when she was 11 for $55,000. She just sold it a few years ago for $3.9 million. That's just one of her properties.

Also - fun fact - Eve Plumb was in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. Top that Maureen!

Eve doesn't have to sell herself for every little project that comes up like Barry and Maureen does.

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2021 3:37 AM

R29 Aunt Jenny was more kooky than crazy and Jan winced when she saw Aunt Jenny for the first time in person. She did NOT want to look like Jenny when she grew up. Kind of a cunt about it.

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2021 5:20 AM

R51, well shit, how would you feel if you knew you were going to grow up to look like Imogene Coca?

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2021 5:36 AM

Imogene came across as drunk but not actually drunk. Eccentric oddball. Jan should be so lucky. Real life Jan would have gone on to graduate from State U with a degree in journalism that she'd only use for a couple of years before quitting to have kids with a guy named Bill.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2021 6:22 AM

I remember Eve on the Weakest Link show many years back. She didn’t know one of the answers & just threw out “smegma” as the response. Like, wtf?

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2021 6:43 AM

[quote] Eve doesn't have to sell herself for every little project that comes up like Barry and Maureen does.

“…like Barry and Maureen DO,” dear.

by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2021 9:41 AM

Eve Plumb was the best actress, and that is why the writers gave her the best scripts. She is the only character who really had any major character development in the show.

by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2021 10:12 AM

[quote]She is the only character who really had any major character development in the show.

It’s a tv sitcom, dear, not Hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 57July 20, 2021 11:17 AM

The question on Weakest Link that Eve couldn't answer was, "In what movie did Brad Pitt play Death?" and she said "smegma."

Sorry, I would have laughed at that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 20, 2021 11:23 AM

R57 So? Sitcoms can have character development. It isn’t some high literary concept. Not all shows do this: Cindy was still pretty much the cute baby. Alice was the wise cracking nurse. Compared to other characters, Jan did.

by Anonymousreply 59July 20, 2021 11:50 AM

[quote]Alice was the wise cracking nurse.

Alice was the wise cracking lesbian maid.

by Anonymousreply 60July 20, 2021 8:38 PM

[quote]The question on Weakest Link that Eve couldn't answer was, "In what movie did Brad Pitt play Death?" and she said "smegma."

Question - does Jan have Tourettes, in addition to her other disorders?

by Anonymousreply 61July 20, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote] Eve Plumb was the best actress, and that is why the writers gave her the best scripts. She is the only character who really had any major character development in the show.

Jan and Peter were the only kids from that show I remember who actually seemed somewhat relatable. Jan was insecure, awkward and in the shadow of her big sister and she was a realistic moody teen. Peter was more in touch with his emotions and was clumsy and socially awkward. Marcia and Greg were just the typical confident, pretty and popular older kids with typical high school problems. Cindy and Bobby were just there to be cute and it was weird how the writers had them act way younger than their ages, they were in their early teens by the final season.

by Anonymousreply 62July 20, 2021 8:50 PM

[quote]Jan and Peter were the only kids from that show I remember who actually seemed somewhat relatable.

Peter was the only kid on the show who seemed remotely fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2021 10:31 PM

The step-incestuous pass-around abuse with Greg and Peter, and the way Alice "punished" her when she found the evidence left Jan a shuddering, stammering mess. Mike just kept feeding her his lithium and Librium until her eyes stopped spinning, but drugs could only do so much.

Carol just thought she was a little cunt, or so I heard someone say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote] Peter was the only kid on the show who seemed remotely fuckable.

Greg was totally fuckable in the Hawaii season opener.

by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2021 12:23 AM

Christopher Knight was good-looking. He became hot and beefy. I think he was only the Brady boy with naturally curly hair and they made him hot-comb it straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2021 2:09 AM

I actually think The Brady Bunch Movie is one of the reasons why Eve sometimes comes across as so cold towards the show. I don't believe her when she says she didn't see the movie (as she claims), and if she truly didn't, she must have heard about how Jan was portrayed in the film. In the movie, they really play up the Jan character as the "ugly duckling" and the "black sheep" of the family. Yes, it was a parody and all the characters were exaggerated, but it probably upset Eve that her character was turned into a punch line. Even though the movie did turn Jan into a character you root for, she was still heavily derided throughout and the portrayal was not flattering. Sherwood Schwartz, the creator of The Brady Bunch, was one of the producers of that film, so he obviously approved the way the characters were. I think Eve took it personal.

by Anonymousreply 67July 22, 2021 3:57 AM

Robert Reed was a major DILF with a sexy voice. I don't blame him for hating the show for the shitty writing but he also should have been in on the joke and took that easy money and ran. I wonder if the writers actually would have killed off Mike Brady if the show did get renewed for more seasons. Would they let Carol be a single mom, would they let Cindy actually grow up, would they add minorities as supporting characters with speaking roles and would they marry Alice to that butcher guy and have TV's first lavender marriage? I can't imagine they could keep the show so squeaky clean with stuff like All in The Family, Sanford & Son and Good Times on the air. So many questions.

by Anonymousreply 68July 25, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote]Olsen showed up drunk on a local morning radio show in the early 2000s. If memory serves she was subbing for a DJ. She lasted about 20 minutes before they pulled the plug.

I remember that interview. They had to pull the plug because she was going to puke. She was practically dry heaving on the microphone.

by Anonymousreply 69July 25, 2021 10:40 PM

R68 Reed DID take the money and run. He participated in every Brady reunion, including the most cringey program ever produced for TV, the BB variety hour. The ratings for the BB were pretty dismal, enough to keep it barely on the air for 5 years. If it would’ve gone one more season, I’m convinced they would’ve recast. But ABC had enough with the Schwartz Reed bs and the mediocre ratings so they pulled the plug. Greg was graduating HS, so it was the right time to end it.

by Anonymousreply 70July 25, 2021 10:45 PM

What'th the matter, Thindy? Gonna toth your cookieth?

by Anonymousreply 71July 25, 2021 10:46 PM

I wonder if Eve was hoping for a Susan Dey type career resurgence in the late 1980's. Eve did have the best post Brady acting career out of all the kids. And this was during a time where Donny Osmond also had a career bump with a couple of hit singles. Maybe she was hoping some of that would rub off on the Brady's.

The FOL appearance isn't bad. She appeared in a One Day at a Time around this time playing Howard Hesseman's date and it was a thankless role. She had about two lines and a minute of screen time. She didn't even get a special credit at the end.

by Anonymousreply 72July 25, 2021 10:47 PM

If they stayed another season, Mike Brady was to have been played by John McMartin, fresh from Follies.

by Anonymousreply 73July 25, 2021 10:55 PM

If the show would’ve done badly in syndication, the kids might’ve had better slightly better careers. The fact that the show was on constantly year after year really sealed their fates. I think Eve was the one who really wanted to break free from the show in the mid 70s the most, but it was a lost cause. She turned down the BB variety hour (best decision in her life), but has said they came up with some money for the short lived Brady Girls get married series. After that, she just fell in line and did all future reunions.

by Anonymousreply 74July 25, 2021 10:56 PM

None of them were really that talented. Maureen was lucky that she was very pretty in an "all-American" way and as a result got to be in a lot of stuff. I don't see where Eve and Susan could have been successful maybe just kept doing TV shows or movies. I think Chris Knight said he never wanted to be an actor anyway and that his stage parents who forced that job onto him.

by Anonymousreply 75July 25, 2021 11:04 PM

Yes - in some ways the show became much bigger after it was cancelled and it ran endlessly in syndication. I am a little too young to remember it when it was in its first run, but it was on constantly while I was growing up. The movie was so geared toward my generation who saw each episode 100 times that we laughed really hard in the theater. There were some kids younger than us who you could tell did not catch a lot of the jokes, since by the time they were growing up they were probably watching more MTV. The movie really does do a good job of poking fun at the show while treating it with respect. I think the other movie that did a good job with that was Galaxy Quest and the trekkies. It made fun of them a bit but never really crossed the line and was a legitimately funny movie (esp. if you had a little Star Trek knowledge).

Neurotic Jan really took off a couple of years before the movie on SNL. One of the SNL actresses portrayed her that way while giving commentary on the news (I am guessing the movie might have stolen a bit from these bits). Although the one I remember is when Susan Dey was the host and they were doing a Partridge Family sketch and ended up doing a battle of the bands in their garage with the Bradys. Jan was shocked to find out they were lip syncing and proudly proclaimed "we have choreography".

by Anonymousreply 76July 25, 2021 11:10 PM

R76: I absolutely LOVE that sketch! That was Melanie Hutsell who had portrayed Jan in a 1990 stage show called "The Real Live Brady Bunch". That show was really the origin of neurotic Jan, and the lampooning of the Brady Bunch, I think. Nice interview with her at link. Talks about Jan, meeting Eve, SNL, the Battle of the Bands, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 26, 2021 12:02 AM

In the Real Live Brady Bunch clip with Jane Lynch, the audience starts howling when Hutsell just appears. She was amazing in the show.

by Anonymousreply 78July 26, 2021 12:22 AM

Melanie as Paula Deen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 26, 2021 12:34 AM

Bad link, R77.

by Anonymousreply 80August 12, 2021 5:25 AM

Why was Jan made out to be psycho? I feel like she was the most normal one in the Brady family, considering how insufferable they all were.

by Anonymousreply 81August 12, 2021 5:34 AM

Eve Plumb once did a good guest spot on MadTV as a former client of Marvin Tikvah's. She was simple and dry, and let the humor land on its own.

by Anonymousreply 82August 12, 2021 5:36 AM

Eve Plumb is pretty attractive, all things considered. She has a warm face. Even now she looks like a nice ex-hippy lady.

by Anonymousreply 83August 12, 2021 5:44 AM

[quote]R12 I wonder if her years on the street as a teenage runaway make it hard for her trust and open up in interviews?

She is NOT bitter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 12, 2021 6:30 AM

She was in this very funny independent movie from 1993 "The Making of....And God Spoke"...It was a mockumentary chronicling the disastrous production of a bible movie. In it, she sort of plays herself playing the mother of a bible, and she gets very frustrated because everybody on the set keeps calling her "Jan". And I think at one point she screams at someone, (paraphrasing), "I'm not Jan. My name is Eve!"

There are clips of the movie on youtube but a quick search didn't bring up the clip I was looking for.

by Anonymousreply 85August 12, 2021 6:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!