Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shipping costs ruin online shopping for

Can’t buy a single item on sale for $10 because shipping costs $7 so I’d end up paying $17 which is a rip off.

Want free shipping? You have to pay $35, but I can’t do that so it’s a no.

by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2021 10:07 PM

*for me

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2021 3:08 PM

I never shop online

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2021 3:09 PM

Welcome to the "dismal science" of economics

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2021 3:09 PM

I was going to buy a shirt and at checkout it said there would be a $10 shipping charge. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2021 3:11 PM

Unfortunately, it is what it is, OP. And its not just shopping. Food delivery is the same. At PizzaHut, a $20 order will always reach $30 after the delivery fee, sales tax and tips for the delivery person. I fucking despise the "Delivery Fee".

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2021 3:14 PM

OP, alternatively include cost of transportation (fuel, auto depreciation), savings from searching online for most economical option, and opportunity cost of traveling to/fr brick & mortar, was it worth paying extra $7?

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2021 3:14 PM

Online shopping is just like regular shopping - it's all a calculation for whether you personally think it's worth it. That will obviously vary from purchase to purchase and person to person. Sometimes just getting exactly what you want is worth it -- no matter if there was a better "deal" elsewhere if you looked hard enough.

People generally (not all people but collectively) just don't seem to have any stomach for "high" prices anymore, Part of it I get - since so much stuff is crap, why wouldn't you seek the lowest price. But, people also complain about quality a lot.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2021 3:15 PM

More and more I find you have to shop online becasue they don't carry the item ("Not sold in store) in the physical store. Unless you buy the brand all the time why would you shop for clothes online? I want to know how it fits me and how the fabric feels.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2021 3:17 PM

Before I buy online, I Google for “coupons” for that website. A lot of time there is free shipping or 2 for 1.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2021 3:24 PM

Don't you all remember how crap shopping used to be if you weren't in a real city? I'm not complaining about $10 measly bucks when I can buy the exact copy of whatever used book that I want, or warehouses full of vintage clothing, or whatever new thing you want. It's almost worth putting up with all of the negative aspects of the internet....

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2021 3:26 PM

Same R8, and I hate shopping for clothes online. Some basic things might be okay, but if I really need to see quality and fit, then it's just a pain. But, I try to do it from places where at the very least I can just go return it to the store. Amazon returns are easy, but I've never had much luck with clothes from Amazon - and the quality seems to be getting worse. Though clothing quality overall has been eroding for a while now -- almost everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2021 3:27 PM

I agree, which is why I usually only buy online if it's a really good deal or i find a discount coupon code.

I do have Amazon prime but I don't use Amazon that much, I get frustrated with all the knock off, products with strange names that are made in China. I also now just believe so many reviews are fake.

I like that you can return Amazon items to Kohls.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2021 3:29 PM

I've been avoiding Amazon lately, on principle. But to reach free shipping limits in general, if there is not something I already legitimately need to reach the limit, then I just leave the item in my cart until the next time I need to shop. A little delayed gratification never hurt anyone.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2021 3:30 PM

I don’t pay for shipping. Often I find that if I put something in my cart but don’t complete the transaction I will get a free shipping offer within a week.

Ship to store for free pick up works for me too especially now that stores have free curbside pick, although I don’t know how long that will last.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2021 3:31 PM

I have teas, jams, biscuits, and other goodies shipped over from Fortnum & Mason in London. The prices are a bit higher than they would be for similar products in the US, but you just can't get anything as good here. Amazon is no good for this -a package of tea that costs $14 at F&M sells for $40 on Amazon! Even free shipping can't save that one. Fortunately, Fortnum has single-price shipping, by the box. It costs $30 whether you buy a sachet with three tea bags or a dozen jars of their wonderful orange marmalade. A rare case of buying more really saving you money!

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2021 3:37 PM

It sounds like everybody here that doesn't like online shopping live in first world nations.

I live in a 3rd world country where all that is available is food and gasoline, and the food is limited and the gasoline is low quality.

So the solution is online shopping, however there is another catch and that is most USA online retailers will not ship internationally.

So.... That leaves Amazon USA. BUT.... Only 40% of what Amazon USA sells will ship internationally.

In conlusion, Amazon is my only link, with a few exceptions, for buying anything. I really do not know what I would do without Amazon USA!

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2021 3:38 PM

Regarding Amazon. I was returning something to them at the UPS store. I asked the clerk about the return since you don't need to box it up. He said he sees returns to Amazon daily and we are talking hundreds of items. He said they don't go back to Amazon. I bought resistance bans from Amazon and you could tell it was a return just by the packaging and there was some string in the box that obviously. I returned it and asked for a replacement. The replacement was packaged differently and you could tell it had not been opened.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2021 3:39 PM

I was going to buy some dietary supplements online which was about $30, but once I realized it would be almost $50 with shipping costs I just said forget it

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2021 3:40 PM

In the last couple weeks I spent a small fortune online. I guess the privilege of the middle class and higher? I don't love shopping online but I can find what I want. For example I wanted some famous brands of hats, such as Stetson. There's no place to buy such hats in my city.

I don't know the solution for you OP. Perhaps you could shop at places that have fidelity schemes that reduce shipping costs, or shops that have online and brick and mortar, and you can could pick up at the store for free?

Shipping isn't free for low priced items because shipping is a real expense.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2021 3:44 PM

Do you live in big city/metro, OP?

If not, then outside of online shopping, you might have to do what my family (who lived in a small town), did when I was growing up - trips to the "big city" every few months to do things, including shopping for stuff we couldn't find where we lived. Though, I find that even in major cities, there is sometimes limited selection and supply of clothes at some stores -- but given all the different stores and multiple branches of the same store within a fairly small distance, I can usually find something. But, yeah, in-store shopping will never be the same.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2021 3:53 PM

I have a hairy ass. Men love it. I posted my hairy ass on Reddit a few years ago and received lots of messages from thirsty men, including straight guys who I made “question their sexuality”.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2021 3:57 PM

R21

Wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2021 3:58 PM

Does R21 have free shipping?

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2021 3:58 PM

Only the little people pay for shipping.

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2021 4:15 PM

You mean I can't sit here on my fat ass and waste hours in front of a screen [italic]and[/italic] get my stuff shipped for free?

Communism wins again.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2021 5:55 PM

R21 Do you charge for shipping?

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2021 6:01 PM

Read the thread, R26.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2021 6:04 PM

R21 Do you have any smooth shaved version for sale?

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2021 6:08 PM

Then get your lazy, cheap asses up and shop locally to support small businesses, and stop selling-out to China and India.

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2021 12:01 AM

I shop online all the time, especially for spices. There are some very good spice vendors online with fresh products. They charge some shipping but not when you order more than a small amount.

I shop locally as well but why bother when so many things can just be sent to the house?

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2021 12:17 AM

Oh, hell yes, Penzey's is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2021 12:23 AM

Even if you get "free" shipping, the shipping is built into the price.

If you're buying an item that costs $10.00, then it's not a huge money-maker for the seller and I would expect to pay for shipping, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2021 12:30 AM

[quote]Then get your lazy, cheap asses up and shop locally to support small businesses

I can't support small businesses if they don't actually have what I need, though.

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2021 1:18 AM

Just but some extra stuff you would use down the line like tea bags, coffee, toothpaste, mouth wash or toilet paper.

It's not rocket science OP so stop whining you wimp!

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2021 1:23 AM

I do what R34 suggests all the time.

Some vitamin supplement is always a good add-in. I've got about four I rotate to add to orders.

I might also call up some family members and ask them if they need anything. My sister has me order her protein shakes online; she's usually good for at least $25 here and there. My roommate can only get the size 14-17 socks he wants online.

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote]Does [R21] have free shipping?

More like free shitting.

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2021 1:37 AM

I buy vitamins too R35.

There is plenty to pick from if you're talking about the $35 trigger for free Wal-Mart shipping.

Paper towels, trash bags, batteries, vacuum bags, shampoo, soap, body wash, cologne, snacks, pet treats, cleaning products, dental floss picks & paper plates (the latter came in handy recently when I was sick for about a week & ended up spending time in the hospital. I was glad I didn't have any dishes to wash when I got out. They can be a real time saver to get you back on track with stuff you can't corners on like laundry, mowing or getting the trash together).

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2021 1:51 AM

R35 size 15 feet! Does he have a huge dick?

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2021 2:36 AM

First of all, stop shopping on Amazon. Just stop!

Okay, you said you are buying a shirt. What is the free shipping threshold at this store? $35, $50, $100? If you live in a busy area (normal East Coast area with stores and stuff, you can just buy some more stuff and return the extra stuff to the store. Sometimes one wants to buy two sizes to see which is the best fit. Or you can buy some extra stuff and sell it on Ebay or Poshmark or something. Ship to Store (as someone upthread mentioned) is also great if you live in an area with stores and stuff. I think the curbside delivery belongs in the fat thread, but that's why it's another issue.

I consider myself kind of a professional shopper, so ask me anything!

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2021 3:31 AM

I remember when I could ship things internationally for reasonable prices, that was when USPS still had surface mail and M-bags. I shipped a painting to Austrian by Fed Ex for $125 in 1999. I used to buy from the UK often, but rarely anymore, usually a few books.

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2021 3:41 AM

I’d like to know exactly what the fuck OP expects the seller to do — wave his magic wand and make the parcel magically appear at his door, in a halo of pixie dust?

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2021 3:44 AM

r5 is exactly right. I tried DoorDash to get McDonald's on Friday night and the total for two meals plus some nuggets was almost $50 after fees and tip. Kept me from eating terrible food, but I was shocked at how much these places are gouging customers on delivery. The prices were hiked up plus there were two delivery fees.

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2021 3:51 AM

I learned the last time I bought from Walmart online that they don't deliver everything anymore, they have a local store drop stuff off at your house. Only found that out when the mailman knocked on my door and started crabbing at me because some idiot Walmart employee had stuffed two bags of things into my mailbox. Had no notification from them until a day later. If they'd just left it on my porch without telling me, it would have been stolen.

Wasn't shopping at Walmart much anyway but I absolutely won't do that again.

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2021 3:54 AM

[quote]He said he sees returns to Amazon daily and we are talking hundreds of items. He said they don't go back to Amazon.

Some of them must. Last year I got two cans of disinfectant spray from Kroger online that disappeared from my front porch within 5 minutes of them being delivered. I later found a tracking receipt in my bushes and discovered a UPS guy had picked that Kroger box up and sent it to Amazon as a return. No idea why. Two weeks later those cans of Kroger spray showed up on Amazon. I bought them and got them back. Have never seen Kroger brand spray on there again.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2021 4:02 AM

R27 Sorry!

R26

by Anonymousreply 45July 19, 2021 4:13 AM

You have to factor in the value of your time and whether or not you have convenient transportation to take you around to different stores.

For me, if I need something, I'll pay for the shipping. If I don't need anything else that that vendor sells, I won't pad out my order to get "free" shipping (e.g., $50 order gets free shipping).

by Anonymousreply 46July 19, 2021 4:16 AM

He explained to me they have three different bins for Amazon returns R44. The UPS store is sorting out the returns and sending them to some place accordingly. I should have qualified it and said most.

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2021 5:49 PM

I recently returned an $80 kitchen faucet I'd bought online from Home Depot to the physical store (which didn't have it in stock). I must've spent 15 minutes neatly packing all the parts back into the box the way they came.

After scanning the item and reversing my credit card charge, the girl at the counter just turned around and tossed the box about 20 feet over into a large bin. I could hear the whole thing falling apart when it crash landed.

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2021 9:37 PM

Good tip I learned from my roommate was to find something you like online or in a store. Try the model and all in the brick and mortar store and make sure you find the right size. Then, look for it online on all available sites. She then connects to the site, creates an account and puts the item in the cart and subscribes to the site's newsletter and sometimes downloads the app. Keeps clicking all over the bet for it. Eventually, emails and coupons and discounts will come when they see you REALLY want it but are resisting. Obviously, you have to enjoy doing this shit but hey, got hee a pair of sandals at a 40% discount including shipping so...

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2021 10:24 PM

what is "the bet" where one clicks?

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2021 7:40 AM

Malls in the U.S. have become horrible. There has been some effort in some higher-income areas to revamp them to include outdoor space and live events like music and art but in general, the last time I returned to LA, I found it so dreary compared to the local one by my apartment here in Romania or the one I visited pre-pandemic in Prague The new concept budding up in Central Europe to compete with online retail is a designed as a gathering place which houses retail in a warm and inviting atmosphere which also includes spaces for cultural and culinary events and incorporates a place for antiques and used books along with well thought-out interior design. Lounges designed for remote work and separate floors for a spa and gym with an infinity pool and a view of nature. The windows are such as to bring in natural light and provide panoramic views of trees, green areas, etc. Obviously, a less "shallow" and more "substantive" feel is sought out. I absolutely love how they re-opened the cafe so I can sit and work, look at out nature, peruse the used books or try that week's offering or go for a swim. Also, now that international students are staring to come, I like to people watch. Back in LA, I will just be in my condo and order shit on Amazon...

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2021 8:40 AM

[quote]At PizzaHuta $20 order will always reach $30 after the delivery fee

Where the eff do you live, R5, that you order from Pizza Hut?!?! Do you live with children or maybe in the boonies with no decent options?

I really hate to food-choice shame and Pizza Hut isn't terrible in a pinch but ain't there a decent "mom & pop" pizza place that delivers in your area?

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2021 10:05 AM

I'm not R5, but where I live, the mom and pop pizzerias don't deliver.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2021 11:30 AM

Where are you, R16?!

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2021 2:31 PM

[bold]For you Pizza Hut orderers;[/bold] I get why you'd order from there if it's your only option. It's okay pizza and, as far as I'm concerned, okay pizza is still very satisfying.

[bold]BUT[/bold], if you've got only chain-locations as options, I'd recommend you try some "premium" frozen pizzas from the grocery store as I've found they're very much in the same ballpark as the chain pizzas YET can be got for under 10-bucks with many on sale for around $5 - and no delivery fee 'cause it's, ya know, right in your freezer.

Here's a giant taste test article that might help any decision. Maybe you'll recognize some brands your grocer carries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 21, 2021 7:46 AM

R21 most unintentionally hilarious post

by Anonymousreply 56July 21, 2021 8:03 AM

I'm from Europe. The only really expensive shopping is from fucking USA. Shipping half of the time costs more than an item you want to buy.

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2021 8:16 AM

I can’t believe the article at R55 didn’t mention my favorite frozen pizza. It’s called Vicolo. Maybe they don’t have it in the Midwest. It’s great! You can also make your own pizza at home using that Pillsbury pizza crust. Super easy.

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2021 8:28 AM

R57 - same. I don't order anything from the US now. Shipping is more than the cost of the product. Ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2021 9:52 AM

R52 - Pizza Hut had to develop a whole new concept and image to even compete here where I live. Good views, interior design, full bar, outdoor terraces and a varied menu option. The pizza is incomparably better than in the US and has locally sourced cheese and yet, it's absolutely subpar compared to mom and pop pizza even as it is. When my American colleagues said let's meet at Pizza Hut for lunch, I thought they were crazy but, being a fat whore, I went and got addicted to the one with a pretzel crust stuffed with cheese. Anyone in Taiwan or China? I heard those have pretty good pizza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2021 10:06 AM

I hate shipping costs. If I am ordering something from places like Target, I just order stuff to get the free shipping and then go to the store to return it.

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2021 10:15 AM

Jesus H Christ OP, It's 2021 not 2000. Just get an Amazon Prime account. 2 day delivery and free shipping on almost everything. Easiest return policy on the planet. In fact they just expanded it in my area so I can even choose to return an item at Whole Foods (which they own), no boxing it back up or anything, it's their new thing to get you there to shop. Just bring them the QR code or scan my phone.

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2021 10:24 AM

I can take returns to UPS, no boxing required R62

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2021 2:17 PM

Why does R62 think OP wants to pay $129 for a Prime account when he refuses to pay $7.99 for shipping?

by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2021 3:57 PM

I agree with r58 about homemade pizza. It’s cheap and easy. Whole Foods makes a great premade pizza crust. I grilled one last weekend with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. Topped with 10 year aged balsamic. It was absolutely amazing.

by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2021 4:08 PM

Many “Prime” items no longer have two day shipping.

by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2021 6:40 PM

R65 - I am going to have to try that. I do, however, have some issues lately just finding a sauce with good ingredients. Seems all but the ridiculously expensive have excessive sugar, sodium and a bunch of chemicals. I am not gonna make sauce for one pizza for one guy.

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote] Online shopping is just like regular shopping

No it’s not. Regular shopping sales in brick and mortar stores started at 25% off. The next month, the item was 50% off. The month after that, it might even be 75% off.

Online “sales” are touted *5% off!* The sales announcements are hysterical when something goes 20% off. And that’s it. 20% off is as far as they go.

by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2021 7:15 PM

R67, sauce freezes well so if you make a pot of it you can freeze in individual serving containers.

For premade sauce I like Victoria’s low sodium marinara and low sodium fradiavlo. I add a small pat of butter when it’s heating to make it a bit richer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2021 7:27 PM

R67, I make my own and freeze it. It tastes so much better when you use whole San Mariano tomatoes in the can. Crush them with your hands. My recipe is similar to this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2021 10:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!