Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

UNCOOL things BOOMERS won't GIVE UP!

As an eldergay boomer, I agree with many of the things, but not all.

I could GIVE UP: The Mall, cable tv packages, writing checks, a briefcase, catalogues, socks & sandals, phonebooks, etc.

I could NEVER give up: Diamonds, china dishware, hawaiian shirts, cursive writing, sending emails, cruises, etc.

What is on your list?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443December 6, 2021 11:49 AM

[quote]Regardless of whether you had to learn it in school, the reality is that no one uses cursive in the outside world, and if they do, they’re going to get some confused looks. People’s handwriting is already bad enough, and making things harder to read is unnecessary. Let’s just write normally.

Whoever wrote this list needs to be shot.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2021 2:28 PM

On your list, I especially agree on cursive writing and emails. I get so tired of trying to carry on a conversation by text but seems like that's the way it is with a lot of people. I sheepishly will say "Can I call you now?" after the third or fourth exchange.

And cursive for me is so much faster when I want to take down information or instructions - How do people take notes in class? That's behind me but I'd have never made it through college without fast handwriting and extensive note-taking.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2021 2:30 PM

Windows 7

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2021 2:30 PM

For me, I could never give up cocktail hour. It is so elegant and refined.

However, I could easily give up 'happy hour' with bogo well liquor!

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2021 2:34 PM

ALL CAPS, apparently

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2021 2:35 PM

Cannabis............

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2021 2:43 PM

The only ones I haven't given up are cursive, e-mail, bar soap, and cop dramas. I type more than I write by hand (which is what I call cursive), but I still do have notebooks for a language class I've been taking for the past two years. But because of the pain in my thumbs from being online for almost thirty years, my cursive isn't as pretty as it used to be. You'd never know I was once the best boy in my class in Palmer Method Penmanship.

I still prefer email or phone calls to texting. The only thing I want to use texting for is if we're making plans in the next two hours. Otherwise, I detest it. I hate when people send me videos in particular. I don't want to listen to anything on my crappy iPhone speaker. But because most people I know text now, that's what they send me. I only bother watching or listening if it's a particularly interesting video, and 99% are not particularly interesting.

I had switched to liquid soap years ago, and then one weekend when I was staying with a friend, he gave me a fresh bar of Whole Foods unscented glycerin soap. I felt cleaner when I dried off than I had in a decade, and I've been using this specific bar soap ever since.

As for cop dramas, I can't miss an episode of Blue Bloods. I'll watch anything with Will Estes.

That's it. Everything else I've never done (velcro shoes, jorts, HSN) or have given up (24-hour news, buffets, phone books).

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2021 2:47 PM

Okay, r6. Now you got me. What could possibly replace cannabis? Or, are you saying keep it?

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2021 2:47 PM

My partner is tail end boomer and I’m early millennial. He’s 7 years older. We definitely are different in a lot of ways. The one that drives me crazy is that he refuses to give up checks. I might write three a year. He pays all his bills by check and mails them. He doesn’t have an atm card and still goes to the bank once a week to cash a check for cash. He refuses get Venmo. Sometimes I need to pay him for things we are splitting and I have to drag out the checkbook.

He also still subscribes to magazines and goes out every Sunday morning for the paper.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2021 2:51 PM

This list is STUPID. Any adult over 50, who adheres to this list, in order look cool, is an immature moron.

I don't give a flying fuck about "looking cool" to a young generation. They don't give a damn about me, based purely on my age. I'm 58. I'm invisible to them. I notice this every time I sit in a gay bar.

I write in cursive because it's easier and faster to take notes. Plus, I take pride in my handwriting, particularly in writing letters and thank you notes.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2021 2:52 PM

Clickbait.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2021 2:52 PM

R7 Do you mean the 365 Triple Milled fragrance free glycerin soap?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2021 2:53 PM

Oh, and he watches almost every show on CBS!

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2021 2:53 PM

Female celebrities like Sophie Turner will bring back jorts, as they did mom jeans. The goal is to take an ugly piece of clothing and wear it to say, “I can make even this look good.” Also see: All those dopey middle aged fraus wearing large black glasses.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2021 2:54 PM

Transcribed for your amusement and avoidance of clickbait:

Phonebooks*

Jorts*

24-hour news networks (TV)

Hawaiian shirts*

Cursive

Dad slacks*

Home shopping networks*

Velcro shoes*

Sending emails

Cruises*

All-you-can-eat buffets*

Dressing like a tourist*

Knick knacks*

Bar soap

Sweepstakes*

9-5 work weeks

Blaming millennials

Paper bills

Toast

Cop dramas

Word art on walls*

Ironing

Racquetball

Fuzzy toilet covers*

Patterned wallpaper

Mrs. Dash*

Crocs*

Potpourri*

I was born in the early Sixties and a lot of these* sound like my parents' generation, my parents who were born in the 1920s. My only act of uncoolness is toast, tostada being THE breakfast in my country, a light roll split, toasted, rubbed with garlic, topped with Serrano or Iberico ham or crushed fresh tomato and lots of olive oil. I don't even know what Mrs. Dash is (though it's easy enough to see), and fuzzy toilet seat covers? Since the early Seventies? My one question/objection is patterned wallpaper, pattern being kind of the point of wallpaper or you would just paint if what you wanted was monchromatic walls. In any case, patterned wallpaper isn't crazy popular but it's also far from "out" to judge by modern interiors.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2021 2:54 PM

Fox News, Newsmax, OAN.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2021 3:06 PM

R8

Mea culpa.........Cannabis is a good thing......by all means keep it.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2021 3:09 PM

^^^^^^^^^and very cool

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2021 3:11 PM

"I take pride in my handwriting, particularly in writing letters and thank you notes."

Millennials and Gen Zers have absolutely no concept of thanking people for gifts. They've been brought up their entire lives to believe that their mere existence is their gift to humanity, and that receipt by them of a gift is simply a well deserved acknowledgement of their innate wonderfulness.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2021 3:11 PM

A lot of you boomers can’t give up your jobs, either- just fucking retire already.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2021 3:12 PM

I understand gay men are giving up cock and fucking front holes now.

I am following suit.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2021 3:14 PM

I agree with R15: a lot of these are Greatest Generation interests, not those of Boomers. No Boomer (unless possibly in darkest Flyoverstan) would EVER have wanted a fuzzy toilet cover, which was very much the province of stay-at-home Moms who had nothing to do but wash stuff all day.

Can someone explain what "just write normally" means? To me cursive IS "normal". Does it mean printing, which to a Boomer says "Moron who never got past Writing 101"?

Word art on walls is completely the province of Gen X. Any Boomer who uses it is just trying to keep up with the kids.

It is fabrication that liquid soap has better scent or value for money than bar soap. You actually have to use quite a bit more. The only virtue it has is that it doesn't cause scum on your glass shower screen, and THAT is why it's all the rage in recent years. Liquid soap is a solution to a specific problem of the contemporary era.

The US financial system is still surprisingly manual. I think you'll find that Boomers elsewhere abandoned checks some years ago. I was also amazed at having to sign when using a credit card for a purchase there. Nobody does that anymore, not even the Russians.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2021 3:19 PM

Wrist watches. I still love them. It’s like a chunky bracelet.

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2021 3:23 PM

Magazine & newspaper delivery and subscriptions

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2021 3:24 PM

Toast? Give up toast? Why? This is just stupid. One of my favorite quicky meals is peanut butter on toast with an orange. I love toast.

Everyone knows bar soap is waaaay more economical than liquid soap. When the pandemic started I took measures to make cleaning supplies last. The first thing I did was replace liquid soap with bar soap at every sink. Those bars lasted forever. Plain old Dial.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2021 3:29 PM

I don't understand why toast is on this list. Wasn't avocado toast the official food of Millennials??

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2021 3:30 PM

I am not a boomer but love both e mail and Hawaiian shirts. I find texts to be intrusive.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2021 3:35 PM

Looking “cool” is an adolescent concern and the best part of being a boomer is that you don’t fucking care about being cool anymore.

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2021 3:37 PM

As for boomers not retiring: Could some of our resident boomergays please enlighten us as to why so many boomers simply refuse to retire?

I feel this is more or a thing with straight boomers, who completely identify themselves with their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2021 3:37 PM

R20 x 1000 - their JOBS

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2021 3:39 PM

Two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence. It makes the printed copy easier to ready. It just does.

Stop fucking with this, Millennials. Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2021 3:40 PM

Yes, r12, that's the unscented glycerin soap from WF. It is delightful.

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2021 3:40 PM

Why is there a photo of Cindy Crawford, who is solidly GenX? Otherwise, this looks too inane/clickbaitish to read.

by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2021 3:41 PM

Vanity.

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2021 3:47 PM

Racism, sexism and homophobia

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2021 3:48 PM

R29 Many want to retire but can’t afford it.

by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2021 3:52 PM

I'm not a boomer

emails are a part of my business though and I don't see why anyone would give them up

by Anonymousreply 37July 18, 2021 3:53 PM

[quote]Wrist watches. I still love them.

aren't they a sign of being a hip millennial?

by Anonymousreply 38July 18, 2021 3:54 PM

I never will give up

earrings

caftans!

by Anonymousreply 39July 18, 2021 3:55 PM

R39 Still beating a dead horse.

by Anonymousreply 40July 18, 2021 3:59 PM

R35 Have you been to our Southern states lately? Midwestern? Southwestern? Plenty of isms and phobics among Millennials & GenZ.

by Anonymousreply 41July 18, 2021 3:59 PM

REAL estate.

by Anonymousreply 42July 18, 2021 4:03 PM

[quote]It is fabrication that liquid soap has better scent or value for money than bar soap. You actually have to use quite a bit more.

Agreed, R22, the soap argument doesn't seem about efficiency or money. I think its an "ick factor" thing of putting against one's body something that was last dirtied by cleaning one's body -- like going to a large public toilet and finding on the sink just a couple bars of soap floating in pools of soap juice and worse. That's my observation and there's some point to that in a shared setting, though if it's my own fucking bar of soap in my own shower, I have a reasonable expectation that no one has done something untoward with with it; it's just me.

by Anonymousreply 43July 18, 2021 4:04 PM

I'm never giving up my laptop - larger screen, better keyboard, more functionality.

A lot of the things I previously wouldn't give up arises from past experience.

It's only really been in the past few years where cellular internet access was fast and stable enough with sufficient bandwidth in crowded areas to consider giving up wired lines in the home. Additionally, a lot of people don't recall various situations where phones were unusable, such as emergency situations where you couldn't connect.

Finally, having a backup (either electronic or paper) for many things is worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 44July 18, 2021 4:05 PM

R43 Liquid body soap also doesn’t clean as well as a bar of Dial!

by Anonymousreply 45July 18, 2021 4:08 PM

R22 From my cold dead hands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 18, 2021 4:08 PM

Liquid soap is for dishes. They probably could have added "top sheets" to the list, considering the overall vulgar tone.

by Anonymousreply 47July 18, 2021 4:09 PM

Oh, and emails. Until you've had to document and memorialize various work and personal agreements, discussions, and actions taken to CYA, as well as describe a more complicated situation, you really cannot understand.

As for Mrs. Dash - it's a substitute for salt - older people often have high blood pressure, so mocking it is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 48July 18, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote]How do people take notes in class?

On a laptop or tablet.

by Anonymousreply 49July 18, 2021 4:12 PM

[quote]My partner is tail end boomer and I’m early millennial. He’s 7 years older.

That would make your partner Gen X, not Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 50July 18, 2021 4:14 PM

[quote] emails are a part of my business though and I don't see why anyone would give them up

That's true, but they appear to be talking out interpersonal communications with family and friends. Every boomer has experienced the limitations of email in corresponding with younger people- the messages are ignored. I've adjusted by using a PC program that lets you compose text messages like they are emails. The program makes it easy to edit, spell check, attach images and links. I don't text message from a cell phone unless it's some emergency.

by Anonymousreply 51July 18, 2021 4:15 PM

Long chatty phone conversations. Problem is, you need to find someone who feels the same way.

by Anonymousreply 52July 18, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote]As for Mrs. Dash - it's a substitute for salt - older people often have high blood pressure, so mocking it is ridiculous.

Calm down, stop mocking me! All I said about the stuff, based on the antiquated product packaging graphics, it is "I don't even know what Mrs. Dash is."

And the list did qualify emails, noting that "people reserve emails for work and promotional nonsense no one checks anymore."

by Anonymousreply 53July 18, 2021 4:19 PM

I will NEVER give up my Blackberry with raised keys.

by Anonymousreply 54July 18, 2021 4:23 PM

Bar soap is better. Most of body wash goes right down the drain without touching anything, and certainly no exfoliation.

by Anonymousreply 55July 18, 2021 4:25 PM

Washcloth R43, are you that dense that you've never heard of such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 56July 18, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote]As for boomers not retiring: Could some of our resident boomergays please enlighten us as to why so many boomers simply refuse to retire?

And they refuse to keep up with technology, even the simplest stuff.

by Anonymousreply 57July 18, 2021 4:27 PM

Total clickbait when you have a list of 40 things and each fucking thing needs a click through.

by Anonymousreply 58July 18, 2021 4:27 PM

I never understood wallpaper, either. However, after seeing my favorite show, I might get matching wallpaper. duvet and curler hat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 18, 2021 4:28 PM

I love potpourri and I haven't seen any in years.

by Anonymousreply 60July 18, 2021 4:30 PM

R50 Seriously GenX gets no respect. What did we get? Elizabeth Wurtzel and Reality Bites?

by Anonymousreply 61July 18, 2021 4:37 PM

Gen X is that generation that looks at both Boomers and Millennials and says "you're both cunts."

by Anonymousreply 62July 18, 2021 4:39 PM

[QUOTE] He also still subscribes to magazines and goes out every Sunday morning for the paper.

then takes a 45-minute shit reading that paper

by Anonymousreply 63July 18, 2021 4:40 PM

My handwriting isn't very good, but I would be horrified if I didn't sent out handwritten thank you cards and other cards for the holidays, special events, invitations. My co-workers, clients and the younger set under 35 are shocked, and at times delighted, when they get a handwritten card from me.

For what it is worth, I have secured every job offer I have ever had by following up not only with an email, but a handwritten letter that I have made sure arrives within 24 hours of the interview. As a hiring manager, I am shocked by the number of candidates that don't even bother to do a follow up email, or if they do, it is a generic, two sentence email, that doesn't even reinforce why they would be the best fit for the role.

I am also in no fucking way giving up real lightbulbs. The nice ones. Not those lame, low energy ones that give off shit light.

by Anonymousreply 64July 18, 2021 4:40 PM

I think washcloths also belong on the list, R56. I use them. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 65July 18, 2021 4:42 PM

Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 66July 18, 2021 4:43 PM

r51 Good heavens! What is that program? Does it work on a Mac?

by Anonymousreply 67July 18, 2021 4:48 PM

[quote] And they refuse to keep up with technology, even the simplest stuff.

Because nobody teaches us, asshole!

by Anonymousreply 68July 18, 2021 4:52 PM

OP must be a fake (or a satirist) as no one admits to socks-and-sandals.

Agreed re: liquid soap (body wash)... a definite NO!

by Anonymousreply 69July 18, 2021 4:53 PM

r68 Gen X learned it all on the job.

by Anonymousreply 70July 18, 2021 4:53 PM

Newspapers and magazines. As soon as the Boomers are gone, those things will be gone too.

by Anonymousreply 71July 18, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote]I could NEVER give up: Diamonds

Thanks. No really, thanks a lot.

by Anonymousreply 72July 18, 2021 4:56 PM

Mr. Dash was probably cheating on her with Mrs. Butterworth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 18, 2021 4:57 PM

Good Lord, over 70 posts in 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 74July 18, 2021 4:58 PM

The only proper place for men to wear diamonds is a pinky ring.

by Anonymousreply 75July 18, 2021 4:59 PM

[quote] For what it is worth, I have secured every job offer I have ever had by following up not only with an email, but a handwritten letter that I have made sure arrives within 24 hours of the interview.

R64, I agree. I retired at age 50 from government work, but realized I still needed to work. When I went back out into the job market I did my homework and got the job, even over people more qualified than I. I knew why. It's because I cared enough to send a follow-up letter. Just that personal touch can be what tips the job into your favor over other candidates.

by Anonymousreply 76July 18, 2021 5:00 PM

Email?

How else do you force accountability at work?

by Anonymousreply 77July 18, 2021 5:00 PM

[quote]Because nobody teaches us, asshole!

You're supposed to be capable of learning on your own.

by Anonymousreply 78July 18, 2021 5:01 PM

How do students read comments on their college papers if they cannot read cursive?

by Anonymousreply 79July 18, 2021 5:03 PM

I much prefer emeralds or sapphires, or even alexandrite, tourmaline, or tanzanite. I like color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 18, 2021 5:03 PM

I never wrote in cursive.

by Anonymousreply 81July 18, 2021 5:03 PM

I still send thank you notes and holiday cards written with a fountain pen. Stay away from my bar soap, and breakfast toast.

And, I make my bed using one fitted sheet and *two* top sheets, so there!

by Anonymousreply 82July 18, 2021 5:11 PM

[quote] I never wrote in cursive.

Well, hip hip hooray for your inadequate schooling.

by Anonymousreply 83July 18, 2021 5:11 PM

I sometimes listen to my old cd's in the car.

by Anonymousreply 84July 18, 2021 5:14 PM

Do what you want with your other correspondence, but condolences must be handwritten in black ink not blue on good paper and mailed.

by Anonymousreply 85July 18, 2021 5:15 PM

What's weird about this article is it presupposes Boomers shouyld [italic]want[/italic] to be like Millennials and Zoomers.

I can see why giving up jorts would be one thing (since technology has rendered denim obsolate), but giving up cursive or emails (do they really think all or even most offices will go without emails, and that younger people won;t need to use that technology at work?) doesn't make much sense.

Because article writers have been trained to care solely about the desires of the youth market, they think everyone else does too. I have no interest in giving up paper books or email just because some inane teenager thinks they're not cool.

by Anonymousreply 86July 18, 2021 5:15 PM

Everything "cool" now will be irrelevant in twenty years.

Twenty years ago, everyone had to have a beeper. Do they even make them anymore?

And sometimes things come around again and regain "coolness"

Vinyl, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 87July 18, 2021 5:16 PM

OK stationery and cursive people, what is a good source to buy this stuff right now? Mostly paper, I have the pens mostly taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 88July 18, 2021 5:20 PM

Boomer here. I will NEVER give up using PC's with 30"+ curved monitors. Who wants a puny laptop with a tiny screen? I have reluctantly purchased a cheap cell phone but only because there are a couple apps on it that that are useful away from home. Still have my landline phone at home. I live in earthquake country and I remember in the '89 quake the only phones that worked for a couple days were the landlines. The main reason Boomers don't retire is because they never were any good at saving money. They NEED that job to keep going.

by Anonymousreply 89July 18, 2021 5:22 PM

There were only 27 "uncool things," give or take, that I was able to click to, not 40. I did not see malls, cable tv packages, briefcases, catalogues, socks & sandals, diamonds, or china dishware.

by Anonymousreply 90July 18, 2021 5:24 PM

How does one work with out using email?

by Anonymousreply 91July 18, 2021 5:24 PM

In the end, do whatever you want and whatever makes you content. Impressing others or trying to keep up with the Joneses is wasting the little time we have.

by Anonymousreply 92July 18, 2021 5:25 PM

R29, Boomers are still working because 1) a lot of us aren't old enough for Medicare and full Social Security yet, and 2) we don't want to be impoverished in our extreme old age, and 3) a lot of straight boomers are broke because they spent their retirement money putting their ungrateful millennial offspring through college.

by Anonymousreply 93July 18, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote] Gen X is that generation that looks at both Boomers and Millennials and says "you're both cunts."

And as usual* we’re right.

(*not about Trump though — sadly we chose him over Biden )

by Anonymousreply 94July 18, 2021 5:29 PM

R93, blame the GOP politicians (who you probably voted for) for not raising the minimum wage or doing anything to lower college costs instead of whining about "ungrateful millennials"

by Anonymousreply 95July 18, 2021 5:30 PM

Being Republicans and supporting Trump

by Anonymousreply 96July 18, 2021 5:30 PM

I'm surprised they still have landlines. In my city it is through cable company and they don't use the phone line.

by Anonymousreply 97July 18, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] I sometimes listen to my old cd's in the car.

R84 YES! I was so upset when I bought my new RAV4 that not only was there no tape player, but no CD player! Horrors! Noooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 98July 18, 2021 5:34 PM

It is literal clickbait R11

It frequently shows up with other clickbait articles at the bottom of a bunch of legit websites I look at (including CNN, IIRC)

It's likely written by someone in India who got paid $10 for it via Fivver.

by Anonymousreply 99July 18, 2021 5:34 PM

Malls closing up is one of the great tragedies of our times.

Besides the social outreach it provided, there were the boutiques and high end department stores.

The elegance and the beauty of these stores as you walked into them made you feel special.

And the niche stores which you could spend hours in just wandering around and browsing. Comfy enclaves.

by Anonymousreply 100July 18, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote] because every phone number is on the internet.

In a phone book EVERYTHING in a particular category is listed in one place. If I'm looking for a new barber (or even a doctor) I want to see ALL of the barbers/doctors in my area.

That's what I call a simple and convenient search. If you want ratings, then you can go online.

by Anonymousreply 101July 18, 2021 5:37 PM

65 here…. I pay all my bills online, I never carry cash, I prefer email… much easier to type on a desktop, haven’t used a phonebook in probably 25 years… got to the point it would piss off to even get a phone book dropped off at my door, don’t even know what jorts are ( guessing Jean shorts, I think my cursive has been ruined because of typing so much) and I retired at 51

by Anonymousreply 102July 18, 2021 5:39 PM

Boomers are responsible for promoting this psychopathic obsession with cool vs. uncool.

by Anonymousreply 103July 18, 2021 5:40 PM

[quote] A lot of you boomers can’t give up your jobs, either- just fucking retire already.

Tough shit!

by Anonymousreply 104July 18, 2021 5:42 PM

R88, Check out stationary from Book Depository. Especially the Moleskine cards, cahiers, and Whitelines for general writing journals.

by Anonymousreply 105July 18, 2021 5:43 PM

My beautician (aka barber for buzzcut) only takes cash, and I use coins to refill my water jugs (not paying a 10 cent card surcharge on a 35 cent transaction). Pretty much my only currency usage.

by Anonymousreply 106July 18, 2021 5:44 PM

R88 Look at Crane's 100 percent cotton stationery line. The Newport Blue Bordered Correspondence Cards are particularly nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 18, 2021 5:47 PM

[quote] Magazine & newspaper delivery and subscriptions

I get the print edition of the NY times delivered at home everyday and I'm not giving it up until they stop distributing it that way.

Reading it online is not the same experience.

by Anonymousreply 108July 18, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote] Could some of our resident boomergays please enlighten us as to why so many boomers simply refuse to retire?

So people like you remain unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 109July 18, 2021 5:53 PM

A lot of people live their lives in blind conformity (can otherwise be called ass-sniffing)

by Anonymousreply 110July 18, 2021 5:56 PM

Apparently, some boomers won't give up clickbait articles. Why would anyone read this mindless shit?

by Anonymousreply 111July 18, 2021 6:03 PM

I am GenX and I use bar soap. Bar soap is better for the environment. Most bar soaps are saponified oils - actual soap. Most liquid soaps are synthetic detergent. Most liquid "soaps" also contain quite a bit of water, so water is being shipped around the country in plastic bottles, most of which do not wind up being recycled. Packaging reduction is better than recycling. Bar soaps can be wrapped in paper, or not wrapped at all.

I use liquid soap for dishes, but for body and hair I use bars - including conditioner bars.

I couldn't make it through the whole think. I hate slideshows like that

by Anonymousreply 112July 18, 2021 6:04 PM

I will give up trying to navigate that shitty clickbait website.

by Anonymousreply 113July 18, 2021 6:07 PM

I am a (later) boomer, and all my boomer friends hate to text, insist on “picking up the phone.” To which I say UGH! Texting is the greatest form of communication ever devised.

by Anonymousreply 114July 18, 2021 6:08 PM

I do still have and prefer my landline. The audio is so much better than the shitty cell reception.

by Anonymousreply 115July 18, 2021 6:10 PM

R20 - “ A lot of you boomers can’t give up your jobs, either- just fucking retire already.”

Why don’t you eat the corn out of our collective Boomer shit R20. If you can’t compete in the job market, then tough shit, MaryJane. I’m still working, because I enjoy it, and I’m lucky enough to be appreciated for the good work I do. So fuck off. Tired of listening to you losers complain about elders who won’t give up their jobs. It’s none of your business. Go get your own job.

by Anonymousreply 116July 18, 2021 6:32 PM

There's no magic job tree, R116

by Anonymousreply 117July 18, 2021 6:34 PM

Cursive hasn't been taught in schools in many years, it's not a new thing. I'm in my forties and my age group were the last ones, I believe.

Personally, I wish I'd never been taught cursive. I learned it as such a young age I can't "un-learn" it, and it permanently affected by handwriting by making it sloppy.

by Anonymousreply 118July 18, 2021 7:09 PM

My Boomer parents, aunts and uncles will never give up their print copies of newspapers and magazines. They all have tablets but they just can't read anything digitally, they have to have a print copy. When that generation goes, all print media is going with them.

by Anonymousreply 119July 18, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote] I live in earthquake country and I remember in the '89 quake the only phones that worked for a couple days were the landlines.

Do you think, perhaps, that phone technology may have changed just a BIT in 32 years?

by Anonymousreply 120July 18, 2021 7:12 PM

Gen X here and I love online shopping for the convenience, but I also love brick and mortar stores because I love to browse. So many stores have closed or are closing, and I'm not happy about it. It also provides people with a reason to get out of the house and interact with others.

by Anonymousreply 121July 18, 2021 7:16 PM

Paper day planner.

Professional e-mails: I work in the law / legal field. This is how we communicate and make “paper” trails.

Incandescent light bulbs.

Desktop (iMac) computer with full-sized, mechanical-type keyboard with number pad.

by Anonymousreply 122July 18, 2021 7:17 PM

They forgot to add "poorly written listicles that imagine conflict between generations."

by Anonymousreply 123July 18, 2021 7:19 PM

How do people who don't know cursive sign their names?

by Anonymousreply 124July 18, 2021 7:20 PM

What has replaced ironing? I'm a GenXer and I still have to deal with wrinkled clothes coming out of the dryer. Do you all just steam your clothes, get them all drycleaned, or is your wardrobe all wrinkle free?

by Anonymousreply 125July 18, 2021 7:33 PM

R125, here's what I do. Don't use the dryer (for your shirts or whatever). Take them out of the washer (wringer) and place them on hangers. Air dry. If you don't have the closet space for this, you can get a rack from Walmart or some other place like that.

No, the shirts don't appear pressed (straight from a dry cleaner), but the wrinkles are minimized and the shirts do have a crisp feel.

by Anonymousreply 126July 18, 2021 7:39 PM

People probably don't buy cotton or other natural fiber clothing anymore, especially dress shirts which need ironing.

by Anonymousreply 127July 18, 2021 7:45 PM

I'm a millennial.

- Phonebooks / Home Shopping Networks / Paper bills (viewing online is better for the environment) / Potpourri - obselete.

- Jorts / Dad Slacks / Dressing like a tourist / Crocs - Who cares?

- 24-hour news networks (TV) - Technically the networks all stream so many people still watch these, they just don't do it on TV.

- Hawaiian shirts - They're a fun novelty.

- Cursive - Block script is universally easier to read. Everyone develops their own style of cursive over time. It should be reserved for signatures because of that. However, no one will hit you over the head for writing in cursive. I learned it in school and by the time I got my first job after graduation from college I stopped using it.

- Velcro shoes - for kids they're fine but most people are expected to know how to tie their shoes or they get slips.

- Sending emails - Still important for business matters. Text is for personal matters that don't require involved discussion, things that can't be said out loud because the person is somewhere public, or things that need to be written down to be remembered

- Cruises - Please, people still go on cruises. I also consider a party boat that's out for 12 hours a cruise.

- All-you-can-eat buffets / Fuzzy toilet covers - Insanitary!

- Knick knacks - People of all ages still buy these.

- Bar soap - People use bar soaps even if (IMHO) liquid is more efficient & easier to share. It's also a bit more sanitary.

- Sweepstakes - Have moved online and still happen often.

- 9-5 work weeks - Still normal for all ages but I never thought it should be.

- Blaming millennials - I hate this only because most of the time people should be blaming Gen Z who are 24 and under or Gen X who are 41 and up.

- Toast / Racquetball / Patterned wallpaper - What? Also, the only reason not to use wallpaper is that it's a bitch to remove most of the time. People still use it.

- Cop dramas - Plenty of people still watch these. "Reality Show" cop dramas are out.

- Word art on walls - I don't even know what this is?

- Ironing - I haven't owned an iron in years. My clothes aren't wrinkled. I wash things in the washer, dry them in the dryer then hang them up. They're wrinkle-free. I think R127 is onto something. I had a fancy cotton shirt once years ago and that damn thing was always wrinkled. That doesn't happen with my other clothes unless I (IDK why I would) ball them up.

- Mrs. Dash - There are other alternatives.

by Anonymousreply 128July 18, 2021 7:46 PM

I was surprised when a yellow pages phone book turned up on my driveway the other day. I had thought the phone companies stopped printing those. It was a lot thinner than the last time I had used one, which was probably 20 years ago. I put it in the recycle bin. Do you all remember when the phone companies started putting these on CD-ROMs?

by Anonymousreply 129July 18, 2021 8:08 PM

I don't mind ironing while listening to an audiobook.

Cursive was required for us in Jr High (early 70s), which I dropped the day I left. For security purposes taking a standardized test years later we were required to copy a block of text in cursive, printing forbidden! My sample looked as though it were being completed at a sheltered workshop.

My mother has always been complimented on her beautiful handwriting, which is actually a sort of hybrid print-cursive.

by Anonymousreply 130July 18, 2021 8:15 PM

[quote] OK stationery and cursive people, what is a good source to buy this stuff right now? Mostly paper, I have the pens mostly taken care of.

r88 The best stationary in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 18, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote] The best stationary in the world.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 132July 18, 2021 9:03 PM

Real estate - I've heard from a Millennial relative, for years, that they are priced out of house bids by people their age, whose Boomer parents are giving them the money for it.

Bar soap (combined with a clean washcloth every day) lasts longer than a bottle of shower gel. Takes up less space in transit/on store shelves, and requires no plastic.

Ironing - I have sworn off buying new clothes that aren’t natural fibers, and stopped caring about slightly wrinkled clothing. I don’t even iron my linen items anymore. A minute or two in the dryer to get the major wrinkles out, then air dry works quite well. Less electricity used, too.

Stationery for written correspondence is at the link. I still have some of their small-sized personalized card stock with envelopes that my Silent Generation mother gave me. I have found few reasons to use it, and it’s too small for the USPS, but it reminds me of her. She was a graphoanalyst, so the death of cursive is sad to me for that reason alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 18, 2021 9:08 PM

Grandmillenial and cottagecore styles. It’s your grandma’s house, but cooler.

by Anonymousreply 134July 18, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote] How do people who don't know cursive sign their names?

Like Barron...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 18, 2021 9:11 PM

Lists/sites like this where you click through - are monetizing your interest. Each click adds $ to the site by "number of views" charged/promised to the paying advertisers.... and also adds to the Big Data profiling of you and your mind.

One thing Boomers won't give up? Falling for this BS.

by Anonymousreply 136July 18, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote] cursive writing, emails

We have jobs. We're running the world. We can't conduct business by texting

No wonder half of these useless fucking kids can't get jobs and live at home with their parents

by Anonymousreply 137July 18, 2021 9:23 PM

Apparently, Melon-tits also did not know how to sign her name. Hence, the copycat signature (same as Turd's).

by Anonymousreply 138July 18, 2021 9:24 PM

R9, the problem with your story is that the boomers end in 1964, and the earliest millennials begin in 1982. That's 18 years. There's another cohort between you, generation x, which is frequently overlooked in your boyfriend's and your celebrations of self-involvement.

by Anonymousreply 139July 18, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote] I'm a millennial.

[quote]- Phonebooks / Home Shopping Networks / Paper bills (viewing online is better for the environment) / Potpourri - obselete.

As are dictionaries for you, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 140July 18, 2021 9:39 PM

Obsessing over spelling and grammar errors on a bullshit internet forum.

by Anonymousreply 141July 18, 2021 9:41 PM

I think the email thing refers to personal email and not work email. Of course we all use email at work. As far as personal email goes, it's not really used to communicate with friends or relatives anymore.

by Anonymousreply 142July 18, 2021 9:42 PM

Landline phones, calling people instead of texting.

by Anonymousreply 143July 18, 2021 9:43 PM

GenX who loves ironing. I even iron my sheets. I have a Rowenta steam generator and a Reliable square ended ironing board. They are awesome.

What about when you get new curtains? How are you going to get the packaging creases out? Don't tell me a steamer - that won't get out deep set creases.

I also like Mrs Dash (in addition to salt.) It is a very nice all purpose herb blend.

by Anonymousreply 144July 18, 2021 9:45 PM

[quote] Of course we all use email at work.

That's what you'd think. However, on multiple threads on DL, its doesn't seem like it. I guess it depends what kind of job you have.

I still use email with a couple of long-winded friends.

I also use email with family when we have to "pass around" documents.

by Anonymousreply 145July 18, 2021 9:45 PM

I don't know of any corporate workplace that doesn't use email. I have no idea about other industries.

I've never heard of this Mrs. Dash stuff.

by Anonymousreply 146July 18, 2021 9:46 PM

The only things on that list that register with me in any way at all are: cursive, bar soap, toast, and ironing.

Cursive is cool, plus it seems to be making a comeback as something a lot of young people want to learn. It's an elective in schools.

Bar soap? Why, then, are there so many designer bar soaps out there? These seem to be directed toward younger people.

Toast? Don't even get that one. Have you seen all the high-end toaster and toaster ovens on the market?

Ironing. I rarely do it, but sometimes it's absolutely required.

by Anonymousreply 147July 18, 2021 9:47 PM

r43 maybe it's a white people thing but my family always use a washcloth that is used with the bar of soap. Rubbing the bar on your ass-crack and dick then letting another family member do the same sounds appalling. At least in black families, you rub the soap into the washcloth, then wash with the suds created on the cloth. You don't use the soap bar on your body. Just ew.

Also, change the wash cloth every 2-3 days.

by Anonymousreply 148July 18, 2021 9:54 PM

I'm a few years short of 40 and like half this stuff, as do my peers. I have to question if they know what "millennials" are, thinking every single one of us are still in their 20s.

by Anonymousreply 149July 18, 2021 9:55 PM

What trashbag families did you come from where everybody used the same bar of soap? You didn't have your own individual bars? JFC.

by Anonymousreply 150July 18, 2021 9:56 PM

r9 wouldn't know a Boomer if they smacked them in the face. You can't be an older Millennial, dating a younger Boomer with only a 7 years age gap. One of you would have to be in Gen X for that to be mathematically possible.

by Anonymousreply 151July 18, 2021 10:00 PM

Ironing? I don't own an iron. It's why they have dry cleaners, and/or mothers-in-law. My mother-in-law is completely lovely, though she can spot a crease in a pair of socks from before I pass through the door. "Wouldn't X like me to iron his shirt? His pants? Take that crease out of his jacket? It will only take a minute..."

by Anonymousreply 152July 18, 2021 10:07 PM

Dry cleaners cost a fortune and destroy your best clothes.

by Anonymousreply 153July 18, 2021 10:08 PM

You at R140,

[quote]As are dictionaries for you, apparently.

ALSO you earlier at R86,

[quote]What's weird about this article is it presupposes Boomers [bold]shouyld[/bold] want to be like Millennials and Zoomers.

[quote]I can see why giving up jorts would be one thing (since technology has rendered denim [bold]obsolate)[/bold]

[quote] and that younger people [bold]won;t[/bold] need to use that technology at work?)

People who live in glass houses ...

by Anonymousreply 154July 18, 2021 10:14 PM

Yeah I think shitty clickbait websites are ones only boomers read so fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 155July 18, 2021 10:24 PM

I love r116 with all my heart. MaryJane, indeed; love it!

by Anonymousreply 156July 18, 2021 10:34 PM

Food for thought:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 18, 2021 10:44 PM

Thank you, R93

by Anonymousreply 158July 18, 2021 10:45 PM

No pattered wallpaper? Haven’t they heard of William Morris? Cretans!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 18, 2021 10:47 PM

I love you too R82. Your double top sheet killed me, because my aunt used to make her bed that way.

R116

by Anonymousreply 160July 18, 2021 10:55 PM

R148 I lather the bar soap in my hand and then wash my pits with both hands. Rinse, and repeat, also washing cock and balls, and then asshole and crack with my left had.

Rinse the crack, and then use the remaining lather on my right hand to wash my hands - full 20 seconds.

The bar of soap only touches my hands.

by Anonymousreply 161July 18, 2021 10:57 PM

[quote] People who live in glass houses ...

Typos are different from misspellings. "O" and "A" are nowhere near each other on the keyboard

But, I appreciate all the work you did to research me, dear.

by Anonymousreply 162July 18, 2021 10:59 PM

I’m under 40 and even I think there are several things on that list that are stupid to say only Boomers do (bar soap, sending email, ironing).

by Anonymousreply 163July 18, 2021 11:04 PM

The knick knacks one cracks me up because while it's true that old fashioned bric-a-brac is out of fashion, Xers, Millennials and Gen Z all collect SHIT.

Since nerd culture has taken over the planet, every one has a shelf with sci-fi figures on it or those awful Funko figures. I'm sure they'll be defended as "collectibles" but that's just a nerd's way of saying knick knacks.

by Anonymousreply 164July 18, 2021 11:04 PM

They’re wrong about the word art on walls. I know girls in their early 20s that love that shit.

by Anonymousreply 165July 18, 2021 11:05 PM

I will agree with the Racquetball and cop dramas.

by Anonymousreply 166July 18, 2021 11:08 PM

Probably a better thread would be "Stuff/Things You Refuse To Give Up"

I still use a wash cloth and a top sheet. I have knick knacks. I refuse to give up my books, CDs and DVDS.

I have an iron but never use it. I gave up landlines and phone books over 15 years ago. I haven't had regular cable TV for 15 years.

Who doesn't like toast? It's warm, toasty bread you put delicious things on.

by Anonymousreply 167July 18, 2021 11:09 PM

I can easily give up illiterate clickbait lists cranked out by minimum-wage content providers who want to pretend all Boomers are MAGAs because their parents are.

by Anonymousreply 168July 18, 2021 11:10 PM

I thought it was established to datalounge that washcloths are more of a non-white thing?

[quote] Who doesn't like toast? It's warm, toasty bread you put delicious things on.

Are you Team Marmite or Team Vegemite?

by Anonymousreply 169July 18, 2021 11:24 PM

What a stupid list. I don't have any sense that Boomers in particular are clinging to most of these things (as opposed to Silents or even Gen Xers), and many of them aren't even "uncool." Millennials and Gen Z are wearing Hawaiian shirts and not even ironically, and patterned wallpaper is still popular in a certain type of design aesthetic, artisan bar soap is wildly popular. And so on.

This sounds like a list made up by some oldie desperate to sound hip.

by Anonymousreply 170July 19, 2021 12:03 AM

[quote] The knick knacks one cracks me up because while it's true that old fashioned bric-a-brac is out of fashion, Xers, Millennials and Gen Z all collect SHIT.

Yes, it's just a different kind of knick-knack, i.e., a different kind of shit.

by Anonymousreply 171July 19, 2021 12:17 AM

R9 apparently has never heard of Gen X - there's no way there are only 9 years between Boomer and Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 172July 19, 2021 12:23 AM

Washcloths aren't white? Mine are...

by Anonymousreply 173July 19, 2021 12:24 AM

Air conditioning

Spraying pesticides and herbicides on their lawns

Killing rabbits, deer, groundhogs and other critters that dare eat their precious flower gardens which are comprised of non-native plants that require fertilizer.

by Anonymousreply 174July 19, 2021 12:27 AM

R164 is so right. I hate those Funko things, they’re dumb looking.

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2021 12:28 AM

Get a load of Niles Crane at r82

by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2021 12:28 AM

^^^ Will you be my Daphne? No? Okay.

by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2021 12:40 AM

R176 = Jughead

by Anonymousreply 178July 19, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote]Air conditioning

You'd better fucking believe it.

by Anonymousreply 179July 19, 2021 12:43 AM

You need a washcloth to get clean. Not your bare hand or one of those nasty nylon mesh things.

by Anonymousreply 180July 19, 2021 12:44 AM

False r180. Unless you literally get dirty from manual labor your hands or a mesh thing work fine.

by Anonymousreply 181July 19, 2021 1:43 AM

The mesh thing works (at mechanically stripping your flesh).

by Anonymousreply 182July 19, 2021 1:44 AM

[quote] My mother has always been complimented on her beautiful handwriting, which is actually a sort of hybrid print-cursive.

r130 I got hired once as an office assistant back in 1995. My boss did a lot of entertaining for which they always sent personal invitations. I had learned calligraphy just a few years earlier and volunteered. Got me a raise. Plus, I really liked that job.

by Anonymousreply 183July 19, 2021 1:54 AM

[quote]The mesh thing works (at mechanically stripping your flesh).

And a harsh washcloth doesn't? Mesh things leave your skin nice and smooth.

by Anonymousreply 184July 19, 2021 2:03 AM

I don't know anyone who uses a washcloth, that's some old-timey grandma shit.

by Anonymousreply 185July 19, 2021 2:04 AM

Wonderful story r183. If any of us ever teleport back in time a quarter-century and find a company whose boss sends out invitations written in calligraphy we'll keep it in mind.

by Anonymousreply 186July 19, 2021 2:05 AM

I used to use the mesh things, but I've converted to shower brushes since they're more environmentally friendly.

by Anonymousreply 187July 19, 2021 2:06 AM

I think racquet ball will make a come back. It's a great physical and mental exercise that can be pretty fun (indoor or 4wall only, 3 wall sucks). It's fun with a partner, but, it's one of the few sports that you can practice alone. Not a boomer, an X-er raised by a boomer that is a fitness enthusiast.

I think I need to go play some racquet ball.

by Anonymousreply 188July 19, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote]I don't know anyone who uses a washcloth, that's some old-timey grandma shit.

You are so full of shit.

And washcloths get changed daily - those nasty mesh things don’t.

by Anonymousreply 189July 19, 2021 2:44 AM

Don't know anyone who uses a washcloth.

by Anonymousreply 190July 19, 2021 3:02 AM

I use a washcloth to dry the shower tiles and caulk after I shower to avoid mold and mildew.

by Anonymousreply 191July 19, 2021 3:09 AM

At least wash your face and/or hole (on separate occasions) with a washcloth.

by Anonymousreply 192July 19, 2021 3:21 AM

Why is it that millennials are so concerned about Boomers and their lives.

I mean, what's the point of the incessant criticism?

They're like some jealous bitches who keep screaming that "Boomers are not all that" and keep making snide comments.

by Anonymousreply 193July 19, 2021 3:24 AM

My students think cursive writing is cool and admire their classmates who can write it.

by Anonymousreply 194July 19, 2021 3:26 AM

[quote]At least wash your face and/or hole (on separate occasions) with a washcloth.

It won't get you any more clean than other methods.

by Anonymousreply 195July 19, 2021 3:30 AM

R9 Where does Gen X fit into that seven year gap?

by Anonymousreply 196July 19, 2021 3:34 AM

Gen X is 1964 -1980.

by Anonymousreply 197July 19, 2021 3:37 AM

R9, your partner sounds more like my long deceased Greatest Generation grandmother than my Boomer parents who were born in the 40s!!

by Anonymousreply 198July 19, 2021 3:37 AM

I must stand up for the toilet lid cover. They don't have to be fluffy and mine is quite flat. The cover serves a few purposes. Keeps your lid from cracking if it falls down quickly, and acts as a comfy stool for drying your feet. I don't recall having a bathroom big enough for a bench or chair.

by Anonymousreply 199July 19, 2021 3:38 AM

Which generation thinks slide shows are a cool way to present a list?

by Anonymousreply 200July 19, 2021 3:39 AM

Cindy Crawford is not a boomer.

by Anonymousreply 201July 19, 2021 3:50 AM

To the person who says they can't get a good press with a steamer. I owned clothing stores, and we used the steamer daily.

To get a hard press, go under the fabric, pulling lightly on the fabric, and you'll get a hard press for items like cotton shirts, etc. Going over the top of the clothing doesn't work. You can even get a hard crease by going under the fabric. I just bought a decorative hook and placed it in a corner of my bedroom and stem there. The hook is also great for setting up an outfit for the next day.

I hate talking on the phone, so all of my friends know to email me if they want to reach me. I keep my phone off almost all of the time. Email is necessary for me, as I work with attorneys almost every day. As for the phone book, I miss the yellow pages. When I was a reporter and was posted to a new location, the first thing I'd do is go through the yellow pages. It gives a great overview of who and what is happening in that city and some great story ideas.

I also remember a snowstorm that knocked out the cell phones in my area for almost a week, so I keep a landline in a closet for emergencies. I've never eaten at a buffet (except for a Sunday brunch), don't wear Hawaiian shirts and have never owned a pair of jorts. I also would never take a cruise. I've never seen a fluffy toilet seat cover. How unsanitary! Also, hanging wallpaper on accent walls is big in interior decor right now. I eat toast.

I carry cash, usually about $300. The weed stores here don't take cards, and a good tip can sometimes get you out of a jam. I need to write checks to smaller business people who don't take cards, such as gardeners or handymen.

This article was absurd.

by Anonymousreply 202July 19, 2021 3:55 AM

Gay boomers were largely excluded from "careers" until quite recently. To require that they "retire" in favor of millennials who don't even know what discrimination is, is bigotry of the first order.

by Anonymousreply 203July 19, 2021 6:05 AM

Working with Boomers who are stuck in the past and have not kept up with current ideas, tech etc. is a fucking pain in the ass. I wish they'd all retire already.

by Anonymousreply 204July 19, 2021 6:08 AM

You're right. Gay boomers couldn't work and people born in the 80s and 90s don't know what discrimination is as it no longer exists in any form!

by Anonymousreply 205July 19, 2021 6:32 AM

On the contrary, R204, I've never met a millennial who knows how a computer works. They use them, but they are magic boxes to them. They have zero knowledge of buffers and CPUs, and these are computer science majors, some of them!

by Anonymousreply 206July 19, 2021 6:34 AM

Then you must live in a shoebox and never talk to anyone R206. I'm not wading into the, "boomers retire!" argument. I'm just here to say that you don't need to use hyperbole.

[quote]They have zero knowledge of buffers and CPUs, and these are computer science majors, some of them!

No, they have some knowledge of it, but it's not important for what they do.

A comp sci major doesn't need to know the intricacies of any of that.

As someone else said, computer programmers are the chefs, the software they're working on/program they're writing is the meal and the computer you're using is the utensil(s) to prepare it.

Also if you're overloading the buffer on your PC in 2021, then maybe it's time for you to upgrade from one built in 1996.

by Anonymousreply 207July 19, 2021 6:56 AM

Oh no. Things I find useful are uncool. Whatever shall I do?

by Anonymousreply 208July 19, 2021 6:57 AM

[quote]My partner is tail end boomer and I’m early millennial. He’s 7 years older.

If there's only 7 years difference between you two, then you're off on the generations somewhere r9. He's either Gen X or you are.

by Anonymousreply 209July 19, 2021 7:16 AM

[quote]Word art on walls is completely the province of Gen X.

I don't think this is true. I remember seeing neon word art in the 1980s, which would make it a Boomer thing. The less cool version of that were the kitchen prints of things like foods and spices which inevitably said "thyme" or "apple" underneath the boring sketch.

Now that I think about it, samplers and cross stitch were word wall art even before then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 19, 2021 8:30 AM

There has always been "word art on walls" in some form, whether hieroglyphics on tomb walls, 17th and 18th Century framed samplers, 18th Century tavern signs collected in the 19th Century, or the 1960s domesticity and (anti-domesticity) plaques, "No Matter Where I Put My Guests, It Seems They Like the Kitchen Best!"

But I'm guessing the fad in question is for the rustic barn-wood signs and big as Oprah positive affirmations stencilled on walls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 19, 2021 9:11 AM

R207 it is important for what they do. The very fact you don't know that, reveals you as second-rate.

by Anonymousreply 212July 19, 2021 9:22 AM

What is the reason for two top sheets?

by Anonymousreply 213July 19, 2021 9:52 AM

What in God's name is a top sheet? A flat sheet?

by Anonymousreply 214July 19, 2021 9:59 AM

Because OP's link is a whirlpool of clickbait, here's another version, expanded in length (looks like 100+ things) and in explanation.

A sampling of some not mentioned above (I don't think), most of which tried too hard:

Waste Paper Napkins [photo of an older woman eating in what appears to be some casual restaurant -- oblivious to killing the world -- with the curious scold: "It’s time to chuck these wasteful, waxy paper bits." Waxy bits?]

Stay at Hotels (identical germ-filled cubes, no thanks - AirBnB is so much better) [actually an interesting point because age is a factor, but not so clear cut as they would think]

Put baseball cards in spokes [FFS, maybe the very oldest Boomers - when they were six, but that shit was out of the picture even then]

Eat Swanson's TV dinners [FFS]

Tinfoil on the TV antenna [Joking, right? I haven't seen this on a TV since before Watergate]

Use answering machines [FFS, who? Old people never figured them out in the first place, now where to believe they mastered keeping them working all these daces?]

Collect S&H Green Stamps [then the authors note they went under in the 1980s]

Take Pictures with Polaroid Cameras [pure hipster shit; old people have have a camera stuck away in a box, but they haven't bought Polaroid film in 50 years]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 19, 2021 10:00 AM

What is funny is that millennials are now wearing those hideous Hawaiian shirts with levis jeans. They might dislike boomers but they sometimes dress like one. The difference is that boomers did not have tatooes and piercing while wearing their tacky shirts and high waisted jordache jeans.

by Anonymousreply 216July 19, 2021 10:15 AM

Too many click-bait articles I refuse to read.

by Anonymousreply 217July 19, 2021 10:18 AM

What is a check R9?

by Anonymousreply 218July 19, 2021 10:21 AM

r216 Just like Z are masquerading as Gen X. When I see these kids I swear I'm walking the halls of my high school in the 90's.

by Anonymousreply 219July 19, 2021 12:08 PM

Millennials had to give these things up largely because they’re poor. Not of all but most! 💍 🚤 🏡

by Anonymousreply 220July 19, 2021 12:14 PM

[quote] I used to use the mesh things, but I've converted to shower brushes since they're more environmentally friendly.

I use loofa. It scrapes everything off, dirt, moles, scabs, pound of flesh...

by Anonymousreply 221July 19, 2021 12:20 PM

I’m right in the middle of the boomer generation and I haven’t done, worn, or used most of the things on that list in ages — phone books are obsolete the moment they’re printed — but I’ll be damned if I’m giving up toast. I don’t eat it very often, but when done perfectly (just lightly brown with butter and jam) it is wonderful. I also love cursive and I have a pretty decent handwriting when I have the time to be very careful — otherwise, if rushed, it is somewhat indecipherable.

by Anonymousreply 222July 19, 2021 12:24 PM

I either have never done the boomer stuff or gave it up ages ago. Cursive was a waste of time to learn. Soaps usually are full of detergent and you can buy natural body washes. Young people still stay in hotels.

by Anonymousreply 223July 19, 2021 12:41 PM

I don't even know why toast is on there, considering the whole Millennial avocado toast brouhaha.

by Anonymousreply 224July 19, 2021 2:19 PM

Gay leather scene

by Anonymousreply 225July 19, 2021 2:48 PM

Hotels are making a big comeback among millennials. Back when AirBnB started it was fun to stay in a real home for about a quarter of what you'd pay for a hotel room.

These days, you get a crappy IKEA studio with no real kitchen for the same price if not more, and of course, you have to do every little thing yourself (breakfast, make your bed, clean up, etc.)

Unless you are renting a villa with a couple of friends, it makes no sense anymore to rent through AirBnB, especially not in cities.

by Anonymousreply 226July 19, 2021 3:10 PM

The one thing about body washes that R223 gets wrong, even though I like body washes, is that they are far less natural than soap. They nearly all begin with synthetic detergents, foaming agents, and have preservatives. Soap usually starts with fat and lye, both quite natural. There are liquid soaps out there such as Dr. Bronner, but they aren't mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 227July 19, 2021 4:53 PM

BS R227. There are a lot of soaps out there that are natural. Even Walmart sells them.

by Anonymousreply 228July 19, 2021 5:18 PM

[quote] Which generation thinks slide shows are a cool way to present a list?

r200 I remember when Powerpoint presentations were all the rage in the early '90s. Flashy at the time, but haven't used it since. What do people use these day instead of it?

by Anonymousreply 229July 19, 2021 5:21 PM

R228, bodywashes, not soaps. There are few actual liquid soaps on the market. They are mostly nasty, too alkaline, like Dr. Bronner. OTOH Desert Essence isn't too bad if you want a liquid soap that isn't too brutal on the skin.

From the first paragraph of the Wikipedia article on shower gels:

[quote]Shower gel (also shower cream or body wash) is a specialized liquid product used for cleaning the body during showers. Not to be confused with liquid soaps, shower gels, in fact, do not contain saponified oil. Instead, it uses synthetic detergents derived from either petroleum or plant sources.

The term soap is often used as a generic term for cleanser. Real soap is saponified fat or oil. Many things sold as liquid soap these days are in fact detergents. Makers also get away with calling these detergents natural in some cases, and they might be derived from natural ingredients, but they aren't possible without serious chemistry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230July 19, 2021 5:34 PM

"Natural" on the package doesn't mean that it is actually natural. It just means that it was at some point derived from something in nature - which can be almost anything. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate can get the Lauryl part from coconut oil (Lauric acid.)

The amount of processing required to get Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - a harsh synthetic detergent - basically offsets anything natural. As opposed to coconut oil, water, and lye which makes coconut oil soap.

Liquid Castile soaps like Dr Bronners are natural (they use potassium hydroxide instead of sodium hydroxide to make liquid soap."

Another example is agave nectar, which basically uses the same process as high fructose corn syrup - one starts with agave, the other with corn. One is touted as natural, the other is the devil.

Natural on a product label is meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 231July 19, 2021 5:34 PM

Well you don't need to go to Vitacost to buy Seventh Generation R230. It is very mainstream as other products. I use Raw Sugar body wash and it is not harsh at all. You're getting into semantics with the distinction of body wash and soap.

by Anonymousreply 232July 19, 2021 5:42 PM

Bar soap dries the hell out of my skin in the winter, I have to use a body wash with a lot of moisturizer in it.

by Anonymousreply 233July 19, 2021 5:45 PM

[quote]I don't even know why toast is on there

Because this list was compiled by morons.

by Anonymousreply 234July 19, 2021 5:50 PM

If you already know cursive, why would you “give it up”?

I understand not wanting to learn it, because it’s faster to type, but are those of us who were taught it as a child just supposed to forget how to use it?

by Anonymousreply 235July 19, 2021 5:54 PM

I can't imagine being a young person today and being unable to read anything handwritten before 1990 (or whenever they stopped teaching cursive).

by Anonymousreply 236July 19, 2021 5:59 PM

It really isn't semantics, R232. The most common detergents in body wash are Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, and Cocomidapropyl Betaine. These also go by other names.

All three of these cause me to break out in itchy red welts all over my body. Actual soap does not do this. I wear dish gloves when I wash dishes to protect my skin when doing dishes, and laundry gets two rinses to make sure the residue gets out. There are soap based laundry detergents, but washing machines are not designed from them, and they can ruin your washing machine - especially if you live in a hard water area.

R233, it isn't really necessary to use soap or body wash everywhere if there isn't actual dirt or grease on your arms, for example.

I use soap on pits, nether (front and back) and feet. That's it. Everywhere else just gets water. Lotion goes everywhere after the shower or I will dry out, summer or winter.

by Anonymousreply 237July 19, 2021 6:02 PM

Within the last year or two I was talking to a younger guy. I don't know how the subject came up, but he told me cursive was not taught in school and he didn't know how to write cursive. I was so surprised. Lately I've seen a lot of people that don't capitalize the first letter in a sentence, do they not teach that in school? Just from a reading standpoint it makes it easier to define where a new sentence begins.

by Anonymousreply 238July 19, 2021 6:04 PM

[quote]If you already know cursive, why would you “give it up”?

[quote]I understand not wanting to learn it, because it’s faster to type, but are those of us who were taught it as a child just supposed to forget how to use it?

Because it makes you look old, dated and out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 239July 19, 2021 6:05 PM

[quote] it isn't really necessary to use soap or body wash everywhere if there isn't actual dirt or grease on your arms, for example.

Oh yes it is. I swear some of you were raised in barns.

by Anonymousreply 240July 19, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote]Within the last year or two I was talking to a younger guy. I don't know how the subject came up, but he told me cursive was not taught in school and he didn't know how to write cursive. I was so surprised.

Do you know anyone under 40? Cursive hasn't been taught in schools in about three decades.

by Anonymousreply 241July 19, 2021 6:07 PM

If I have to write something quickly and longhand, I always use my bastardized cursive.

by Anonymousreply 242July 19, 2021 6:07 PM

People interchange the two terms all the time R237. Calm down will you.

by Anonymousreply 243July 19, 2021 6:08 PM

I could never give up my agreement with R1 that the idiot cunt behind this meaningless list needs to be assimilated into the tuna water and grease from which she emerged.

by Anonymousreply 244July 19, 2021 6:08 PM

R241, I'm under 40 (close to it) and we were taught cursive in second grade. We had homework worksheets and lessons focused around it.

by Anonymousreply 245July 19, 2021 6:09 PM

OP- That LESBIAN model Cindy Crawford is NOT a baby boomer she’s a baby buster aka Generation X

by Anonymousreply 246July 19, 2021 6:10 PM

How do people sign their names if they don't know cursive?

by Anonymousreply 247July 19, 2021 6:11 PM

Block printing is what I usually see, r247. Some kids are taught how to sign their names in school but not taught cursive as a whole. Lots of documents are e-signed nowadays so signatures don't enter into the equation, but the formats of e-signatures always include a few versions of printed names that aren't in cursive.

by Anonymousreply 248July 19, 2021 6:14 PM

They just use block script R247.

by Anonymousreply 249July 19, 2021 6:14 PM

One thing I miss about phone books is that the phone listings broke down the structures of the state & federal governments. Not just the departments, but the divisions within each department, and maybe even further breakdowns than that.

Yes, I know it's online, but not as concise as it was in the phone book.

by Anonymousreply 250July 19, 2021 6:26 PM

I'm 31 and I was taught cursive. I hardly use it but I know how. Gen Z is probably where the no cursive thing started.

by Anonymousreply 251July 19, 2021 6:29 PM

[quote] If you already know cursive, why would you “give it up”? I understand not wanting to learn it, because it’s faster to type, but are those of us who were taught it as a child just supposed to forget how to use it? r239 Because it makes you look old, dated and out of touch.

Well, there is no point to "give it up" if it has suited me for the past 65 years.

by Anonymousreply 252July 19, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote] Because it makes you look old, dated and out of touch.

Why the fuck would I care about whether I look old, dated and out of touch?

I don’t have any put on pretenses, but if that’s important to you, then you be you.

by Anonymousreply 253July 19, 2021 7:05 PM

[quote]I understand not wanting to learn it, because it’s faster to type, but are those of us who were taught it as a child just supposed to forget how to use it?

[quote]Because it makes you look old, dated and out of touch.

Brilliant, R239. Nothing terrifies baby boomers more than thinking they might be seen as dated and out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 254July 19, 2021 7:06 PM

I guess the young’ uns are more into surface appearance than I thought

Oh well. Sucks for them

by Anonymousreply 255July 19, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote] Within the last year or two I was talking to a younger guy. I don't know how the subject came up, but he told me cursive was not taught in school and he didn't know how to write cursive. I was so surprised. ~~ R241 Do you know anyone under 40? Cursive hasn't been taught in schools in about three decades.

The Common Core standards seemed to spell the end of the writing style in 2010 when they dropped requirements that the skill be taught in public elementary schools, but about two dozen states have reintroduced the practice since then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256July 19, 2021 7:09 PM

Went to Catholic school and learned "penmanship." We didn't call it "cursive," we called it "script." Anyway, my handwriting is now a hybrid of printing and script.

by Anonymousreply 257July 19, 2021 7:09 PM

r247 see r124

by Anonymousreply 258July 19, 2021 7:41 PM

r253/r254 it's a real thing in the professional world.

by Anonymousreply 259July 19, 2021 7:45 PM

You can sign your name any way you like. Your "signature" is whatever you adopt as your signature. You can sign in print.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260July 19, 2021 7:46 PM

The elders prissing about cursive is strange. It's just accepted that cursive is outdated and fussy and no longer relevant. I don't know anyone who really gives a shit that it's gone now.

by Anonymousreply 261July 19, 2021 7:47 PM

Boomer here (68.) I don't use checks except when there's no other alternative. I've used online bill paying since it was invented and I'm 100% paperless where available. I rarely use cash for anything (need to get my points/rebates!) I use bar soap (without a washcloth or other device) in the shower. I hate shower gel -- you have to use too much of it and it's messy. I use liquid soap for washing hands, though. And pods for the laundry and dishwasher. I use emails a lot, and texting when possible. I don't understand why people wouldn't use email -- it's handy, and provides a written record of things. Plus it's much easier to attach things than it is with texting. I have lots of knick-knacks, but they're not on display. I've never done 24-hour news channels, sweepstakes, or home shopping networks.

I went on cruises pre-pandemic -- not sure if I would anymore. I've never worn jorts or socks/sandals. I try to avoid looking like a tourist, but I do usually have a camera. I used to watch a lot of cop dramas, but now I only watch British ones. I played racquetball years ago. I've never had toilet seat covers, crocs, potpourri, or wallpaper of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 262July 19, 2021 7:50 PM

The British cop dramas are usually very good, like Unforgotten. The American network cop dramas are beyond tired.

by Anonymousreply 263July 19, 2021 7:58 PM

R262 Are you married? Where do you live? Details....

by Anonymousreply 264July 20, 2021 1:24 AM

My physical space.

by Anonymousreply 265July 20, 2021 1:47 AM

r264: No; LA suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 266July 20, 2021 2:42 AM

The colander I use to drain pasta.

by Anonymousreply 267July 20, 2021 3:29 AM

R202. What’s hard with steamers (for me) is that the steam rises so I’m constantly having to bend down! Still, I love mine and use it - or did, before Covid - once or twice a month. And as a real estate broker, I want everything in writing so I prefer emails and texts, too. They helped me in a lawsuit I had to file against an awful seller who backed out five days before closing (I won my commission).

by Anonymousreply 268July 20, 2021 1:14 PM

China cabinets, American cheese.

by Anonymousreply 269July 20, 2021 1:16 PM

[quote] And as a real estate broker, I want everything in writing so I prefer emails and texts, too.

I think that some of you didn’t understand that the slam by the author of this ridiculous list is against personal emails, not business or work emails. Like your aunt sending an email about going to the farmers market and making a peach cobbler.

[quote] Boomers still elect to send emails rather than a simple text or instant message. [bold] Maybe they just don’t realize, but people reserve emails for work [/bold] and promotional nonsense no one checks anymore.

by Anonymousreply 270July 20, 2021 2:25 PM

One of the perks of getting older is that you realize that you don't need to waste anymore time and energy worrying about being 'cool'.

by Anonymousreply 271July 20, 2021 2:27 PM

The money they stole from every generation before and after them

by Anonymousreply 272July 20, 2021 2:44 PM

Love combining pasta with seafood. Any ideas are appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 273July 20, 2021 2:50 PM

Oops wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 274July 20, 2021 2:54 PM

I won't give up having an accurate sense of historical references unlike millennials who are unaware of anything that pre-exists them, like this listicle.

by Anonymousreply 275July 20, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote]I think that some of you didn’t understand that the slam by the author of this ridiculous list is against personal emails, not business or work emails. Like your aunt sending an email about going to the farmers market and making a peach cobbler

I don't see what's wrong with those kinds of personal emails. I'd much prefer that to a phone call that interrupts what I'm doing. And texts are not a good substitute. Personal emails are a nice replacement (and far easier and more convenient) than writing letters. I often post on Facebook when I travel so I can keep friends and family updated, but I usually do an email as well (with photos) for the many people who don't use Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 276July 20, 2021 3:40 PM

I admit I still use checks in certain situations such as paying the HOA dues because the HOA charges a 5% fee for 'handling' it you pay online, or for once a year bills such as my Costco and AAA memberships because it's more hassle to set up an account and remember yet another set of passwords, or paying my state income tax because I'm petty and spiteful.

R272, I'm still trying to figure out what money I've 'stolen' from the generations before and after me. It's certainly not in my bank account or paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 277July 20, 2021 3:53 PM

going back to cursive, I was reading something and my 12 year old grandson wanted to read it. (he didn't learn cursive in school in NYC) I handed him the paper not even thinking about it and he took one look at it and handed it to his mother and said, "I don't know what these letters are" I had forgotten that cursive letters are different than printed letters and realized that all of these kids that never learned cursive would never be able to read anything in cursive, including documents. It was the stupidest thing they ever did not to teach cursive.

by Anonymousreply 278July 20, 2021 3:55 PM

R275 So true. I was Gen X and grew up in the 80s. We went to revival houses that showed old movies and listened to music from the 60s. New music was booming, but there always seemed to be an appreciation of early pop culture among my peers. Even in the 90s it seemed cool to listen to your parents old "lounge" records, or Johnny Cash, or discovering Montgomery Clift films. Sad that people in their 20s and 30s stick their noses up at anything not current to them and treat every bit of history as disposable.

by Anonymousreply 279July 20, 2021 3:58 PM

You guys couldn't be more wrong about younger generations not appreciating older stuff. YouTube and Instagram and TikTok is filled with videos of very young people watching and listening to old music and movies. You don't realize it because you're so out of touch you think young kids should be going to record stores and movie theaters. It doesn't work like that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 280July 20, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote] YouTube and Instagram and TikTok is filled with videos of very young people watching and listening to old music and movies.

Anyone who genuinely likes something should not feel the need to make a video of it. Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 281July 20, 2021 4:38 PM

When the fuck will millennials learn how to touch type. Two-finger typing makes you look like a preschooler.

by Anonymousreply 282July 20, 2021 4:41 PM

R281 regardless of whether they should record it or not, the fact is they enjoy it and are in fact interested in older things. They may not like what YOU like but it doesn't mean they don't like older stuff

by Anonymousreply 283July 20, 2021 4:57 PM

[quote]You don't realize it because you're so out of touch you think young kids should be going to record stores and movie theaters. It doesn't work like that anymore.

So true. ALL boomers think kids are still hanging out at record stores and movie theaters.

by Anonymousreply 284July 20, 2021 5:05 PM

I do personal emails with a couple of old friends. It is like letter-writing. It's nice, actually.

One friend retired and moved far away. He wanted to keep in touch via Instagram. I said I don't do Instagram and I thought that I'd never hear from him again. Surprise, he's actually been writing me some nice emails.

by Anonymousreply 285July 20, 2021 5:41 PM

Garlic shrimp over angel hair, R273.

by Anonymousreply 286July 20, 2021 5:55 PM

Boomers will never give up ordering a huge lobster with small five broccoli on a plate.

by Anonymousreply 287July 20, 2021 6:35 PM

I hate broccoli!

by Anonymousreply 288July 20, 2021 8:03 PM

They won't give up their fucking stranglehold on the mainstream media. Most op ed pieces in major newspapers ( particularly the Washington Post and New York Times) are written by people who still live psychologically in the year 1967. That's why you get idiotic assertions about how raising the minimum wage is a waste of time or that the biggest threat to modern society are19 year old blue haired sjws.

by Anonymousreply 289July 20, 2021 8:24 PM

R288 I always find it amusing that they aren't a fan of lots of vegetables in a plate. It is the same when they order steak with baby carrots that they barely finish.

by Anonymousreply 290July 20, 2021 9:13 PM

I've never fucked a Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 291July 20, 2021 9:15 PM

What about your dad r291?

by Anonymousreply 292July 20, 2021 9:20 PM

I love wearing socks with sandals. It's very comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 293July 20, 2021 9:25 PM

r292 Not even him.

by Anonymousreply 294July 20, 2021 9:45 PM

[quote] I'd much prefer that [email] to a phone call that interrupts what I'm doing.

Because you're so busy and important.

by Anonymousreply 295July 20, 2021 11:22 PM

[quote] The British cop dramas are usually very good

"Cuffs", with the young gay cop?

by Anonymousreply 296July 20, 2021 11:27 PM

[quote] Working with Boomers who are stuck in the past and have not kept up with current ideas, tech etc. is a fucking pain in the ass. I wish they'd all retire already.

Nah! We'll stay around to get on your nerves like you get on ours with your addiction to the latest stupid technology, thank you very much!

by Anonymousreply 297July 20, 2021 11:43 PM

r297 it's not about Tiktok or other time-wasters, it's about software and programs that are used in professional environments.

by Anonymousreply 298July 20, 2021 11:49 PM

Wash my crack/hole area with soap from the bar spread over my hands and then wash my hands by running the rinsed off bar of soap over them.

by Anonymousreply 299July 20, 2021 11:51 PM

Taking naps while watching tv.

by Anonymousreply 300July 20, 2021 11:56 PM

R298 You do realize that guys like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are boomers, right?

by Anonymousreply 301July 21, 2021 12:00 AM

Treating women like shit

by Anonymousreply 302July 21, 2021 12:02 AM

R299 Addendum: Rinse hands after washing crack/hole before running rinsed bar of soap over them.

by Anonymousreply 303July 21, 2021 12:03 AM

You have to soap up your finger, stick it up your asshole and swish is around up there to really get things clean. Otherwise you don't have a clean ass.

by Anonymousreply 304July 21, 2021 12:25 AM

My bidet has an enema button for a truly clean hole, R304.

Finger. How primitive, You type poor.

by Anonymousreply 305July 21, 2021 1:30 AM

Americans don't use bidets.

by Anonymousreply 306July 21, 2021 1:43 AM

I love how not using a bidet = "poor." Only on DL!

by Anonymousreply 307July 21, 2021 1:45 AM

r305 you live in Texas. You can STFU.

by Anonymousreply 308July 21, 2021 1:49 AM

R299 you wash your anus last, rinse the washcloth, wring it out as much as possible, throw it over the shower rod, finish up (rinsing hands as necessary), and then launder the washcloth. Cleaner than public toilets or most restaurant food.

by Anonymousreply 309July 21, 2021 1:59 AM

I am an American, I use a bidet, I do not live in Texas.

If I am ever unfortunate enough to find myself in Texas, I would find the first plane, train, bus, ride share, or rickshaw out of there - doesn't matter the mode of transportation as long as it would get me out of that shit hole.

I would suggest that you shut the fuck up, R308 , since you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 310July 21, 2021 2:25 AM

r310 your posting history says otherwise

by Anonymousreply 311July 21, 2021 2:27 AM

You are lying, R311. My posting history shows nothing of the sort. I did suggest turning Texas into the nations's landfill, but nowhere in my posting history have I ever stated that I live there. Because I don't. And I wouldn't.

Even if I did, I am not sure how that would somehow impact the fact that I stated that I have a bidet.

Did we forget to take our meds today, Dearie?

by Anonymousreply 312July 21, 2021 2:34 AM

r312 you're very invested in this!

by Anonymousreply 313July 21, 2021 2:38 AM

No, just setting the record straight since, for some reason, you are telling lies about me.

by Anonymousreply 314July 21, 2021 2:47 AM

LOL....I've had many Millennials say to me, "Oh, I don't know anything about that piece of music/film/TV/book/pop culture reference/historical moment because it was before I was born...."

And, I always tell them the same thing, "EVERYTHING happened before we are born. If you're only interested in the present, you're a very boring person".

What cracks me up is when it's something in the field they're in, like people in the film business unaware of any film made before 1984 (unless it was Star Wars). How can you be a professional and not have any interest, background or training in your alleged subject of expertise because you can't be bothered to learn about anything that happened before you existed?

What a boring life these people lead.

by Anonymousreply 315July 21, 2021 8:28 AM

They won’t give up Hi-NRG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316July 21, 2021 10:36 AM

Boomer women like to "pick up the phone," even if it's just about a minor thing that could be dealt with in one text. They get frustrated and angry in the course of a text exchange because they can't properly express themselves, so they start ringing. First the cell, and if you don't answer that, they go next to the landline (yes, I as a boomer still have one "just in case'). My sister is doing it right now. I'll call her back later.

by Anonymousreply 317August 11, 2021 4:21 PM

I was shocked to learn a 23 year old cousin of mind couldn't read a note in cursive handwriting. I knew schools had stopped teaching it but thought that was more recent. I was taught cursive after I was taught to print, and cursive is so much faster and more efficient, I can't imagine taking the time to print.

Body wash soap in the tub is a recipe for disaster for me - it makes the bottom of the tub so slippery. Zest bar soap for me!

by Anonymousreply 318August 11, 2021 4:29 PM

I like Zest body wash, it smells really nice.

by Anonymousreply 319August 11, 2021 7:59 PM

r317 my Boomer mother and her Boomer friends constantly call each other on their landlines.

Sometimes I think Boomer women are the only reason landlines still exist.

by Anonymousreply 320August 11, 2021 8:00 PM

[quote] Sad that people in their 20s and 30s stick their noses up at anything not current to them and treat every bit of history as disposable.

It’s amazing. We have access to almost everything at the tip of our fingers, but do young people do anything with it of value? You look at how much slop is called culture and tell me.

by Anonymousreply 321August 11, 2021 8:03 PM

[quote] And they refuse to keep up with technology, even the simplest stuff. Reply: Because nobody teaches us, asshole!

I have been bemoaning the useless instructions with many products like techie ones for ages. It's as if they have been written by an illiterate autistic person with English as a second language. Does no one teach how to write clear and concise sentences anymore?

by Anonymousreply 322August 11, 2021 9:22 PM

Why would you rub your bar of soap on your ass crack?

Do people need instructions on how to use a bar of soap?

You soap up your hands (or some washing implement) for the most part and you use your hands to clean certain parts of your body. Are you saying you are too delicate to wash your ass crack with your hands and fingers? Seriously? Are you some Victorian housewife? How can you stand to have sex, even with yourself?

Besides my hands I like to use kitchen sponges or those sponges with plastic on one side. The plastic is good for cleaning body parts that need a little rougher cleaning and skin smoothing - much cheaper than the expensive loofahs I used to use and works better.

Toast? WTF! Toast is fabulous - how else do I eat hummus when I don't have those cute little bread wedges or whatevers? Or harden the bread a bit for sandwiches that need support. This is just daft written by someone with limited life experience.

by Anonymousreply 323August 11, 2021 9:31 PM

No wonder these young 'uns are so fucked up with their sexuality. How do you fall in love or foster romance via text? You need to experience love and sexuality through your senses one of which is auditory. A voice can be an incredibly sexy attribute. Talking to another human can't be replaced with typing.

by Anonymousreply 324August 11, 2021 9:36 PM

r317, it's probably because boomer women were all taught to type, and pecking out a text one letter at a time is extremely frustrating to someone who types 75 wpm. I can see why they'd rather resolve an issue with a 45 second phone call instead of spending 10 minutes texting back and forth.

r320, landlines provide crystal clear sound so you don't need to do the 'cell yell', don't get lost, don't lost power, and still work if the power lines are down.

by Anonymousreply 325August 14, 2021 2:40 PM

lose power

by Anonymousreply 326August 14, 2021 2:45 PM

R325 Oh, it is never a 45 second call. At least in my experience. My sister always requires me blocking out a half hour for a detailed monologue. I agree with you about the superior sound of landlines though.

by Anonymousreply 327August 14, 2021 2:53 PM

Funny, didn’t the advent of the telephone cause the previous generation to lament the lost art of letter writing?

by Anonymousreply 328August 14, 2021 2:54 PM

Cell phones still work if the power lines are down and landlines don't work, at least in my area.

by Anonymousreply 329August 14, 2021 4:14 PM

Saying POCKETBOOK instead of purse.

by Anonymousreply 330August 14, 2021 4:17 PM

Where I grew up in New England, it was “pockabook.”

by Anonymousreply 331August 14, 2021 4:25 PM

I dropped my land line -- missed it -- called the phone company, and they refused to give it back. Said they were discontinuing it in my neighborhood (but the old lady next door still has hers)

by Anonymousreply 332August 14, 2021 8:36 PM

R331 Where I grow up in Slovenia iz called Poosey

by Anonymousreply 333August 14, 2021 8:42 PM

When I was reading this thread last month, I found myself in agreement with the anti-cursive writing crowd. However, after seeing Madison Cawthorn's handwriting, I have totally changed my mind. Bring penmanship back to schools!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334August 14, 2021 9:58 PM

Billfolds.

by Anonymousreply 335August 20, 2021 9:35 PM

I hate cursive, always have always will. Yes, I am eldergay. Believe it or not, I learned proper printing in a Jr. high school drafting class and never turned back. Most profession like Architecture require clear printing on drawings, that that goes back long before the digital age. I am so happy the world has finally caught up to where I was 40 years ago.

Cursive is hard to read because everyone wants to have their own "style" on it. That's bad for communication, if you look at it logically. Save your big loops and flairs for thank you letters if you must. Otherwise it needs to die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 336August 20, 2021 9:47 PM

R330, my grandmother said “pocketbook.” If she was still alive today, she would be 115. That’s how old you have to be to say “pocketbook.” Her kids were Greatest Generation.

My mom, who was Greatest Generation, wouldn’t have been caught dead saying “pocketbook,” any more than you would. In her generation, it was “purse.”

Now it’s handbag or bag, which I don’t get because that’s also an old term. Handbag was I think maybe mid-century or older. Then it came back, after “purse.”

by Anonymousreply 337August 20, 2021 10:36 PM

That's impossible, dear.

Boomers are: 1946-1964

Millennials are 1981-1996

There's no way you're 7 years apart.

by Anonymousreply 338August 20, 2021 10:46 PM

[quote]Millennials and Gen Zers have absolutely no concept of thanking people for gifts. They've been brought up their entire lives to believe that their mere existence is their gift to humanity

Shut up, Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 339August 20, 2021 10:47 PM

[quote]Bar soap is better for the environment.

lol.

by Anonymousreply 340August 20, 2021 10:49 PM

And yet, r337, my "greatest generation" mother called her pocketbook a pocketbook. I think it may have been more of a geographic distinction. When I moved from NJ to Pittsburgh, people made fun of me for saying "pocketbook" instead of "purse" or "bag." "Handbag" sounds more like advertising copy to me than the way people speak.

by Anonymousreply 341August 20, 2021 10:50 PM

WTF, please tell me people aren't still writing cheques? I haven't written a cheque in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 342August 20, 2021 10:57 PM

R341, my grandmother was from the Midwest, and she called it a pocketbook, if that makes sense to you.

Handbag sounds pretentious to me. When I was a kid, nobody said that but rich or pretentious women with fancy expensive purses. Picture Nan Kempner’s purse. That was a handbag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343August 20, 2021 11:09 PM

Flip phones

by Anonymousreply 344August 21, 2021 1:04 AM

[quote] my grandmother was from the Midwest, and she called it a pocketbook, if that makes sense to you. Handbag sounds pretentious to me. When I was a kid, nobody said that but rich or pretentious women with fancy expensive purses.

I think it's regional differences. We used to call it "purse," now, it's "bag." "Handbag" would be OK, I guess. "Pocketbook," never.

by Anonymousreply 345August 21, 2021 4:52 AM

It’s POCKABOOK!

by Anonymousreply 346August 21, 2021 5:06 AM

"Pocketbook" definitely predates Boomers. That's a word that lower-class women from the Depression/WWII generation would've used.

by Anonymousreply 347August 21, 2021 5:11 AM

[quote]A lot of you boomers can’t give up your jobs, either- just fucking retire already.

They’d like to, but they had to support their asshole millennial children and so are in no financial condition to do so.

by Anonymousreply 348August 21, 2021 5:19 AM

Many Boomers could retire tomorrow r348 they just don't have any life outside of work and can't give up the reins.

BTW, many Boomers are the parents of Gen Xers.

by Anonymousreply 349August 21, 2021 7:05 AM

Most Gen Xers did not have Boomer Parents, their spawn are mostly Millennial. You have to skip a gen for time to grow up to adulthood. So a Boomer born in 1960 was not having kids 5 years later in 1965 which would be Gen-X.

by Anonymousreply 350August 21, 2021 7:15 AM

[quote] Many Boomers could retire tomorrow [R348]

Meanwhile, they had to support their children much later into their lives than any previous American generation. Why? Because their children were only good at one thing — shifting the blame for everything to the Boomers — and could not support themselves with that skill.

by Anonymousreply 351August 21, 2021 7:26 AM

Young people can't be blamed for not being cursive illiterate. It was the older generations who determined not to teach them how to read and write in schools.

I don't understand it. I am generation X and I learned about 10 years ago that my boss's children—who were raised with the fanciest of educations—couldn't read cursive. It never even occurred to me that a person who can read printed English language wouldn't be able to look at and decipher cursive words.

All things considered, it's somewhat arbitrary. It's not necessary to have two different written forms, but on the other hand, how much time does it take to teach cursive writing, which a person retains for a lifetime?

I asked him how they sign their names, how they'll sign contracts, etc. He said he doesn't know and then said, well, they'll just have to sign their names in block print, I guess. And then later he said, actually, everything is going to be digitized in the future, so they'll just click a button on a computer. And together we realized that someone will create computer programs that 'translate' scanned cursive writing into English on a computer screen, and so not being able to read written cursive probably won't really be a practical problem.

I'm old enough to think it's a bummer, that cursive writing may as well continue to be taught because there's no practical upside to not teaching it: people are getting progressively dumber and more groupthinky in school today, not wiser and more discerning, so time spent teaching people basic literacy is certainly not wasted time. But the train has left the station. I guess my generation, of which I am the tail end at age 43, will bring the time-honored form of writing to the grave with us.

by Anonymousreply 352August 21, 2021 7:41 AM

[quote]My mom, who was Greatest Generation, wouldn’t have been caught dead saying “pocketbook,” any more than you would. In her generation, it was “purse.”

It's not generational, it's regional, like others already said. It's Midwestern. My Midwestern parents were Greatest and Silent Generation and they said "pocketbook," which specifically referred to what I believe is now called a "clutch." They sometimes had a small handle but often didn't, or the handle was detachable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353August 21, 2021 11:08 AM

People who use cursive destroyed the original form of commutation. What's wrong with Sumerian Pictographs? Why does no one tech this is school anymore? It was such a beautiful way to communicate, unlike the squirly uniform cursive. It all looks the same. I guess this is progress but if you ask me the young people today writing in cursive are getting progressively dumber.

by Anonymousreply 354August 21, 2021 12:07 PM

[quote]WTF, please tell me people aren't still writing cheques? I haven't written a cheque in 20 years.

R342. I had a friend who, for some strange reason, decided to put an accountancy background to work and offer instruction to young people in mini-courses in How To Balance a Checkbook.

I suggested she offer a companion course on the Palmer Method of Cursive Business Writing and call it the "School of Lost & Useless 20th Century Arts."

The only time I've used a check in 20 years is to make a deposit on a house or to buy art or antiques dealers who don't like to lose a 3% fee to credit cards, and that was in the U.S. where banking is always behind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355August 21, 2021 12:19 PM

[quote]Most Gen Xers did not have Boomer Parents, their spawn are mostly Millennial. You have to skip a gen for time to grow up to adulthood. So a Boomer born in 1960 was not having kids 5 years later in 1965 which would be Gen-X.

Are you fucking kidding? I was born in 1976, my parents were '46 and '50. Nearly all the kids I grew up with had Boomer parents. Many, many older Boomers had kids in the 70s.

[quote]Meanwhile, they had to support their children much later into their lives than any previous American generation. Why? Because their children were only good at one thing — shifting the blame for everything to the Boomers — and could not support themselves with that skill.

Wage stagnation and the cost of living rose astronomically. Many Millennials couldn't afford to live independently when they were starting out in the world.

by Anonymousreply 356August 21, 2021 3:01 PM

I've always called those of us later Gen Xers who were born from about '73 - '80 the "lost part of Gen X." The early Gen Xers from the 60s-early 70s are what most people think of when they think of "Generation X." My part of Gen X is basically invisible.

by Anonymousreply 357August 21, 2021 3:05 PM

TONS of Gen Xers have Boomer parents. Esp. Xers who were born in the second half of the 70s, when the oldest Boomers where hitting their 30s.

by Anonymousreply 358August 21, 2021 3:11 PM

I still write two checks a month, one to my shrink and one to my landlord. I tried to set up payment through Paypal to my landlord but it won't connect to my credit union.

by Anonymousreply 359August 21, 2021 3:13 PM

Cursive handwriting is such a touchy subject with the Eldergays. Meanwhile, nobody else gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 360August 21, 2021 3:14 PM

I know how you feel, R357. I was born in 1960 and officially I'm lumped in with the Woodstock crowd, but my life has been nothing like theirs.

R342, why are you so outraged about people still using checks? Does it affect your life in any way, shape or form?

by Anonymousreply 361August 21, 2021 4:14 PM

r361 Boomers definitely get it too. Later Boomers born in the late 50s/early 60s don't have much in common with the Woodstock/hippie Boomers who are older.

by Anonymousreply 362August 21, 2021 4:50 PM

R361, the rest of the world doesn't really use checks anymore. Sadly America is a little bit behind on that front. Banks need to step up their game.

by Anonymousreply 363August 21, 2021 7:58 PM

Every once in a blue moon I'll get stuck behind an old lady in the checkout line who's writing a check. And I mean an OLD lady, like she can remember World War II. I don't mind because people that ancient are terrified of technology and want nothing to do with anything connected to digital/computers and I totally get that, they're too old to change.

Anybody younger, however, has no excuse no to have kept up with the times and technology.

by Anonymousreply 364August 21, 2021 8:04 PM

One thing I can't seem to give up is a paper day planner. I'm not great at typing on a glass screen. I went to Catholic school and learned penmanship. I also like Japanese stationery (pencils, erasers). So, I stick with paper planner.

by Anonymousreply 365August 21, 2021 8:13 PM

"Cursive handwriting is such a touchy subject with the Eldergays. Meanwhile, nobody else gives a shit."

Tattoo artists need to know cursive so they can do ribcage tattoos. Don't know if the recipients care if anyone can read them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366August 22, 2021 2:29 AM

R366 No they don't. They do Asian characters they can't read all the time. All they need is the computer template to print and trace onto the skin.

by Anonymousreply 367August 22, 2021 2:33 AM

[quote]TONS of Gen Xers have Boomer parents. Esp. Xers who were born in the second half of the 70s

And TONS OF THEM DO NOT have Boomers as parents because they were born in the early 60's right were the cut off for Boomers ends. As someone else mentioned above, those early Gen-X 1963 and on had parents from the Silent Generation. The mid 70's and on is almost another micro Gen or cusp between X-ers and Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 368August 22, 2021 3:02 AM

r368 the second half of the 70s is most definitely Gen X, we are much more in line with Gen X than we are with Millennials.

There were also quite a few Boomers who had kids in the late 60s and early 70s. People had kids at younger ages back then, on the whole.

by Anonymousreply 369August 22, 2021 3:05 AM

I love it when people tell you you're all wrong about your own fucking generation. JFC.

by Anonymousreply 370August 22, 2021 3:06 AM

Boomers in particular come in many flavors and it's telling that the usual definition actually refers to the small set of upper middle class Boomers.

Broadly, you had one group that served in Vietnam, got married while still in their early 20s, were never hippies, settled down in blue collar jobs and are now the grandparents of adults.

You had another, smaller group, albeit the one that everyone focuses on, that were hippies and went to college in the 60s, were young singles in the 70s, yuppies in the 80s, helicopter parents in the 90s and in 2021 are the grandparents of toddlers.

by Anonymousreply 371August 22, 2021 3:08 AM

I was born in 1978 and I have some quasi-Millennial traits (avoid the phone, communicate electronically, not into the big-material-things-in-suburbia lifestyle) but otherwise I am an Xer. I like to be self-directed and work independently, I believe that when I am paid to do work, I'm obligated to do that work, I hate committees, groupthink scares the fuck out of me, I don't expect or want pats on the head and awards, etc. I don't relate to comic book movies, I appreciate subtext, I'm dying for a return to people having dry senses of humor and finding value in debates instead of declaring war every time there's a disagreement.

by Anonymousreply 372August 22, 2021 3:15 AM

Born '76 here and exactly the same, r372.

by Anonymousreply 373August 22, 2021 3:36 AM

r357 We are Xennial..

by Anonymousreply 374August 22, 2021 3:49 AM

[quote] Because it makes you look old, dated and out of touch

People like you make me laugh!

So utterly terrified of one of life’s most basic realities. Yes, I am old, and if you aren’t, you will be; then what? Do people like you simply kill yourselves at a certain age? It’s a sad, strange way to live.

by Anonymousreply 375August 27, 2021 9:45 PM

Boomers are totally resistant to change.

by Anonymousreply 376August 27, 2021 9:48 PM

That's pretty much true of old people since the beginning of time, R376.

by Anonymousreply 377August 28, 2021 4:22 AM

I was born in 1963, I consider myself Gen-X even though that goal post has been moved to 1965 by big corporate insurance companies trying to label people and keyboard warriors who now insist I am a Boomer based on their Google search.

Whatever, I don't have any of the Boomer benefits, pretty much just missed the boat on every big thing like a booming economy, cheap college, cheap houses, jobs that paid well. And yet, I didn't benefit by growing up with computers or the internet. I had a Boomer high school career counsel that consisted of just telling me to go to the library and look up whatever job I might be good for. That was the extent of help. No resume writing, no job seeking classes, no personal websites or "branding myself". So yeah, Gen-X got screwed growing up it sucked. Both parents working full time, totally on your own, no day care, no nanny's, no live chat, just "lock the door and don't let ANYONE in while we are gone...unless there is a fire".

Happy now though, love technology, smart phones, 3D modeling, built my own computer from scratch last month, love all the creatives on Youtube who inspire me to try new things. Have built concrete river tables to vortex water features. Wish this info was around when I was a lot younger. I am never board and I am in my 50's now.

I work from home because I HATE corporate culture of the Boomers with all the fake friendliness and Secret Santa Frau bullshit and I don't fit in with the Millennial who all work as a group in open office plans with zero privacy or responsibility for the quality of work.

by Anonymousreply 378August 28, 2021 5:17 AM

R378 Yeah, guidance counselors were useless to us in the 70s. They just didn't care, and weren't qualified to guide.

by Anonymousreply 379August 28, 2021 5:30 AM

So was Job Placement in college R379, what a joke. My job placement advisor during the last term told me "oh you look like you would be good at X, why don't you send your resume to X type companies. Well duh, do you have any connections to someone that works there? Name of a hiring manager? A phone number maybe? Help get an interview? Nope. Now they really try to prep kids for the working world with classes on how to interview, network with other people, internships you name it.

by Anonymousreply 380August 28, 2021 5:40 AM

[quote]I work from home because I HATE corporate culture of the Boomers

The Boomers from the 80s were the WORST. Thankfully, many of them have finally retired. Clinging to their 80s corporate culture, totally resistant to change. And the women were as bad as the men. Think Sigourney Weaver in Working Girl. SO many Boomer professional women just like that IRL. Fucking hell I hated them all.

by Anonymousreply 381August 28, 2021 5:53 AM

Yep, Boomer woman were horrible bosses. I worked for several, they ALL had a chip on their shoulder trying to be as tough as the guys. They were more cunty than any of the men could be. And no I don't hate women. The best boss I ever has was a younger woman who did not have that shit going on, was not a control freak, did not have to prove she was though as nails. She was just good at her job, fair and kind to all her employees. And not in a fake way. She lifted people up instead of seeing them as competition or expecting payback.

by Anonymousreply 382August 28, 2021 6:01 AM

[quote]Yep, Boomer woman were horrible bosses.

Back in the late 90s when I was a recent college grad, I began working for a company and the boss in my department was a Boomer woman who never left the 80s. All the recent grads were summoned to meet with her in a conference room when we all got hired. Her first words to us: "Forget everything you learned in college. College didn't prepare you for corporate life. This is the real world and you're gonna learn from a bitch like me!" Honest to god, it was like some Joan Collins bullshit out of Dynasty. And yes, she was a total bitch. And there were others.

I stayed in that job for a solid year just to get it on my resume and then I left. I have no idea what happened to that stuck-in-the-80s Boomer cunt, but I hope a house fell on her.

by Anonymousreply 383August 28, 2021 6:12 AM

Did she object to your typos, R382?

by Anonymousreply 384August 28, 2021 6:13 AM

r384 = Boomer cunt

by Anonymousreply 385August 28, 2021 6:15 AM

Me too R378.

I have nothing in common with Boomers. And, Douglas Coupland who created the term "Generation X" was born in 1961.

People place too much store by these stupid generation markers and "eras" that have huge ranges. People born at opposite ends of an 18 year span are not going to have much in common.

by Anonymousreply 386August 28, 2021 9:05 AM

IIRC, R386, he considered the start of GenX to be 1960, the year I was born. It's ridiculous for us to be lumped in with the people born from 1940-1953, the ones who got the cheap college, cheap housing, abundant jobs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 387August 28, 2021 4:01 PM

r387 The baby boom didn't start until 1946. Soldiers, sailors, marines, etc., had to come home from war in 1945 in order to impregnate their wives. The boom in babies started the following year.

by Anonymousreply 388August 28, 2021 4:05 PM

Thanks to the poster who posted the whole stupid list. I wasn't about to click through that crap.

I pay my bills by mail, even though that adds 50 cents to each by way of the stamp. I don't like the idea of all my info being on the internet. Only a couple of bills are automatic payment and I use a credit card with a deliberately low limit. I love toast--what is the 'cool' alternative to toast, may I ask?

I came to DL by way of a thread bashing boomers--it was so hilarious. After time on this site, I've come to realize that my generation is as bad in its way as my parents' was, so I guess it is the insight of the next generations that forces us to look at ourselves. I hold no brief for boomers, now. We ARE uncool and probably were incredibly selfish.

by Anonymousreply 389August 28, 2021 4:12 PM

The 1980s really changed Boomers. The fallout from that is what we're still dealing with today.

by Anonymousreply 390August 28, 2021 5:07 PM

re-runs of 70s TV sitcoms

by Anonymousreply 391August 28, 2021 7:04 PM

Classic vinyl rock and roll - or whatever they call it.

by Anonymousreply 392August 28, 2021 7:22 PM

Every generation is annoying...to both the previous generations before it and the post generations after it.

by Anonymousreply 393August 28, 2021 8:41 PM

CDs and DVDs

by Anonymousreply 394September 2, 2021 3:27 PM

An uncool thing Boomers won't give up: GOP.

by Anonymousreply 395September 2, 2021 3:30 PM

Religion

by Anonymousreply 396September 2, 2021 3:54 PM

r378, you're part of Generation Jones, the tail end of the Boomer gen. I'm part of that as well. We missed out on all the benefits the older Boomers had. I identify with Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 397September 2, 2021 7:41 PM

Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 398September 2, 2021 10:36 PM

Being bemused by younger generations including Millennials who appear to be obsessed with thinking and posting about them, perhaps? Yes, I think. :)

by Anonymousreply 399September 3, 2021 2:09 AM

The top sheet protects our tender skin from rough things like a wool blanket. They also make your bed more hygienic. Blankets etc are not laundered or cleaned as often as a sheet is.

by Anonymousreply 400September 3, 2021 5:17 AM

Facebook

by Anonymousreply 401September 3, 2021 4:07 PM

My former boss who I am going to meet for lunch tomorrow will NOT give up her pocket size paper calendar. Looks like a check book. I tried showing her how she could keep all those dates online or on her phone be she wont budge. The funny thing is, she's on her smartphone and apple laptop non stop every day of the week. Deep down she doesn't trust this "new" technology.

by Anonymousreply 402September 4, 2021 5:37 AM

R402 I dunno, I think it’s good for the soul to keep *some* analog, hands-on things. I’m on my phone and laptop all day too, but every year I buy a beautiful book-size leather weekly planner where I write down my appointments and stuff. I love picking out a different color every year for the cover. And hell, it’s practically the only time I write by hand anymore. Then again I am a (late) boomer.

by Anonymousreply 403September 4, 2021 12:33 PM

Gel and liquid soaps do not get you as clean as bar soap and a clean wash cloth. A lot of you stink more than you should,

by Anonymousreply 404September 4, 2021 1:15 PM

R404 Yes, let’s use up all those hotel bar soaps we’ve been stealing over the years!

by Anonymousreply 405September 4, 2021 1:18 PM

The more you App the more you need to App. One leads to another, and all lead to more and more and more screen time. It's exhausting and affects physical and mental health.

by Anonymousreply 406September 4, 2021 1:33 PM

Some of these things are boomers' parents (e.g., wallpaper--which even they got rid of it when they updated their 50s houses).

Most of them are held dear by a group that's more like "war babies" (born shortly before or during WWII) or people from the very early boomer years who are essentially the same cohort. These are the people who hold on to cursive---and also have fond memories of tortures like sentence diagramming and phonics. They fall behind with tech and don't realize that a mix of intuition and websurfing is how you learn, not taking lessons or reading useless written instructions.

Some of us gave-up landlines 15 or more years ago and checkwriting at about the same time. Oddly, I do have to write checks for a trust I administer because of the paperwork requierments and the sometimes comically old fashioned contractors. I recently bough some furniture that required a check and found it very odd.

by Anonymousreply 407September 4, 2021 3:18 PM

[quote]Some of these things are boomers' parents (e.g., wallpaper--which even they got rid of it when they updated their 50s houses).

Nope. Lots of Boomers love wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 408September 4, 2021 3:22 PM

R408: Where's your proof--I don't know anyone like this. Just because YOU do.....

by Anonymousreply 409September 4, 2021 3:37 PM

Boomer suburban homes have wallpaper r409

by Anonymousreply 410September 4, 2021 3:38 PM

Wallpaper is fantastic. So many artful choices now too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411September 4, 2021 6:23 PM

I don't like wallpaper, r411, but those are some nice designs. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 412September 4, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote] Anybody younger, however, has no excuse no to have kept up with the times and technology.

I refuse to use a credit or debit card to buy groceries.

I like a direct method of accounting for these purchases (aka cash)

by Anonymousreply 413December 4, 2021 4:20 PM

Let's stipulate to call it "wall covering"

by Anonymousreply 414December 4, 2021 4:23 PM

For those asking about why boomers won't retire, there's a handful of boomers left at my workplace. A couple of them started their careers late, were laid off or out of work in the 80s/early 90s so have time to make up to max their pensions. At my workplace, you need 35 years to maximize your pension.

Another handful won't retire because they're helping their kids out financially - paying for school, one gave his kid a huge down payment on a house, a couple helped their kids buy cars or pay for childcare for their grandchildren. Another boomer isn't retiring just yet because he's doing some home renovations before he retires.

The boomers I'm speaking of are all in their late 50s/early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 415December 4, 2021 4:34 PM

R415: To expect that people should have retired by their late 50s/early 60s in the U.S. suggests that they did well financially (either through their careers, inheritance, or some combination), that they have retirement savings in place ample for potentially another 40 years perhaps, and that they have the financial resources to provide for private health insurance until their national Medicaid become available - at age 67 or later in most cases.

That's a lot of assumption for all but a quite small segment of the age group.

by Anonymousreply 416December 4, 2021 4:45 PM

As a Millennial, I am never, ever giving up cursive. Beautiful cursive looks far better than normal print.

by Anonymousreply 417December 4, 2021 4:59 PM

R416, most people are eligible for the national health insurance called Medicare when they're 65.

If they didn't work for 40 quarters (or have no spouse that worked for 40 quarters) then they pay a premium for Part A (hospitalization) which is currently about $500/month -- or if they worked at least 30 quarters, it's $275/month).

Everybody pays for Part B (doctor visits) and it's about $170/month.

Medicaid is a different program, which covers low-income and/or disabled people - and if you qualify, it's free. The qualifications vary by state.

by Anonymousreply 418December 4, 2021 5:25 PM

[quote] I refuse to use a credit or debit card to buy groceries.

That's foolish. Most people get cash back on all their purchases. I charge everything I can. I pay it off at the end of the month and never carry a balance. I got $500 back on my credit card after a few years. $500 tax free dollars for doing absolutely nothing is nice. It's also smart

by Anonymousreply 419December 4, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote] My former boss who I am going to meet for lunch tomorrow will NOT give up her pocket size paper calendar. Looks like a check book. I tried showing her how she could keep all those dates online or on her phone be she wont budge. The funny thing is, she's on her smartphone and apple laptop non stop every day of the week. Deep down she doesn't trust this "new" technology.

If it's just to remind someone of an appointment, it's easier to glance at a paper calendar. I don't want to have to open anything on my phone. I know I could set reminders on my phone, but there's so much nonsense that pops up on my phone and that I delete without paying attention to. Plus writing something down helps me to remember and when I glance on a calendar I can usually visualize later what I saw written on it

by Anonymousreply 420December 4, 2021 6:17 PM

Thank you for the correction, R418. I know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid, and yet I can still fuck it up sometimes. And I was wrong, too, about 67.

Still, if you had an income stream in place and wanted to retire at 56, say, the prospect of 9 years of private insurance would be daunting for many who might otherwise be able to afford it. Even retiring at 62 when Social Security can start, the cost of health insurance could be extortionately high, or high enough that someone thinks: I try to stick it out and work those 2, 3, 9 years until Medicare.

It's a terrible system for people who think they are maybe on the verge of being able to retire early. And it's not a good system to opening up slots for people to move up in the work world.

by Anonymousreply 421December 4, 2021 6:23 PM

At least it's better than it was when many who wanted to retire early couldn't get health insurance at ALL. They would turn people down due to high blood pressure or hell, just anything. I knew a woman whose son was turned out because he had tubes in his ears from ear infections.

by Anonymousreply 422December 4, 2021 8:45 PM

I'm gradually getting used to my computer / phone day planner / calendar. The thing I like about my paper calendar (I have an 8-1/2 x 11" calendar w/15 minute increments) is that there's a lot of room to write smaller reminders. E.g., not work meetings, not doctors' appointments. I also just do like to write w/my mechanical pencil. Yes, I'm a nerd.

by Anonymousreply 423December 4, 2021 8:52 PM

I would be happy to give up millennials.

by Anonymousreply 424December 4, 2021 8:54 PM

I hate typing on a phone - and those pencils or styluses or whatever, they're worse. Writing on real paper is a sensual pleasure - compared to pecking on those stupid little black screens.

by Anonymousreply 425December 4, 2021 8:56 PM

R9 how is that possible? If your partner is late boomer and you are early mil, you can't be 7 years apart. Youngest boomer was born in 1964 and would be 57 and the oldest millenial would have been born in 1980 and be 41. That is 16 years of difference. Unless us gen x-ers have completely disappeared from the landscape which honestly, between the stupid arguments between boomers and millenials I could only consider a blessing.

by Anonymousreply 426December 4, 2021 9:02 PM

As neither a millenial or a boomer I would say, don't give anything up. Almost everything will at some point be revived by hipsters because of retro appeal.

by Anonymousreply 427December 4, 2021 9:04 PM

R425, I hate typing on my phone and iPad, too. I generally type on my computer calendar and it syncs with the phone. The things I type on my schedule are kind of repetitive and the calendar will auto-complete a lot of things. That has made my transition from paper to computer easier.

by Anonymousreply 428December 4, 2021 9:06 PM

Even if they're not conscious of it, Boomers stay in their jobs because of the fears instilled in them by their parents who were brought up by folks who had to deal with the Great Depression.

by Anonymousreply 429December 4, 2021 9:07 PM

I'm an Xer and kept a day planner from my preteen years through my 20s.

My use of a day planner was inspired by the Golden Girls who were constantly referring to their "book." I was able to convince my mother to buy me a small day planner and even though I had no social life or important engagements at the time, I enjoyed marking things down in it, such as upcoming doctor/dentist appointments, due dates of school assignments and exams. My mother would inform me of something simple, such as going to buy shoes the next day and I'd respond with, "Let me check my book," which I thought was extremely glamourous.

by Anonymousreply 430December 4, 2021 9:07 PM

[quote] Even if they're not conscious of it, Boomers stay in their jobs because of the fears instilled in them by their parents who were brought up by folks who had to deal with the Great Depression.

Not just Boomers. But anyone who has been promoted to a high position and has people being nice to them all day. They think people really respect and like them, but in reality, people *have* to be nice. The day after they retire, it's over. You're just another person at Walgreens picking up a prescription.

by Anonymousreply 431December 4, 2021 9:11 PM

r429, our parents had to deal with the Depression, too. Not just their parents. When I was growing up, my father never shut up about it.

by Anonymousreply 432December 4, 2021 9:12 PM

"Even if they're not conscious of it, Boomers stay in their jobs because of the fears instilled in them by their parents who were brought up by folks who had to deal with the Great Depression."

Boomers are the last generation with some notion of history, They don't use "how am I supposed to know what happened before I was born?" as an excuse.

by Anonymousreply 433December 4, 2021 10:33 PM

[quote]"Even if they're not conscious of it, Boomers stay in their jobs because of the fears instilled in them by their parents who were brought up by folks who had to deal with the Great Depression."

Maybe it owes something to this conditioned expectation you describe, but the bigger reality is that, except at senior executive levels, jumping ship at 57 or 61 is not likely to be a move up. Nor an easy move.

by Anonymousreply 434December 5, 2021 12:05 AM

"Unless us gen x-ers have completely disappeared from the landscape which honestly, between the stupid arguments between boomers and millenials I could only consider a blessing."

Oh honey. You haven't disappeared at all. In fact, in between your great parenting of that Michigan shooter and Kyle Rittenhouse, Karening over Critical Race Theory and three Gen X justices about to overturn Roe v Wade, the country is getting to know how fucked up you are as well

by Anonymousreply 435December 5, 2021 1:09 AM

R435...Gen X is Karening over CRT? Cool. Good to feel we're on the right side of history/

by Anonymousreply 436December 5, 2021 1:14 AM

DL usher at theater: Sir, the man behind you can't see over your turban. Could you take it off? Patron: No, I'm Singh. DL usher: And I'm dancer but you still have to take it off.

by Anonymousreply 437December 5, 2021 5:27 AM

Wrong thread. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 438December 5, 2021 5:28 AM

Our saturated fats!

by Anonymousreply 439December 5, 2021 5:33 AM

The penny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440December 5, 2021 6:27 AM

I'm not a hyperventilating American money grubber, R419.

by Anonymousreply 441December 6, 2021 10:53 AM

I could never give up crushing the dreams of everyone who isn't a boomer. Their incessant resentment is Christmas to me.

by Anonymousreply 442December 6, 2021 11:44 AM

Jorts are an immediate turn off.

by Anonymousreply 443December 6, 2021 11:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!