Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

J Lo gets an episode of “Behind the Music” reboot on Paramount+

Lmaooooo will they discuss the truth or will it be bullshit?

I liked how the original show was honest. This one looks like it will be through the eyes of the artists themselves fully vs the people around them too.

The artists getting episodes are

Ricky Martin

Busta Rhymes

J Lo

New Kids on the Block

Duran Duran

Fat Joe

LL Cool J

Huey Lewis

Brett Michaels.

Some of them have already had a Behind the Music. Why a new one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2021 4:57 AM

NKOTB had a Behind The Music special in 2008. There is no need for a new one, unless this one covers 2008-2021.

The original ended with their comeback. They’ve been together since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2021 4:26 PM

Behind the Music: Has Beens

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2021 4:30 PM

When Huey Lewis is the best act on that bill, you know they are really stretching.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2021 4:31 PM

R3 to you. He’s the one I am least likely to care about.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2021 4:33 PM

And to anyone who isn’t deaf, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2021 5:29 PM

There's nothing interesting about J. Lo's music career. She was a famous actress who just got a recording deal because the industry overlords saw her as an easy way to get money out of a now visible Hispanic audience. She couldn't sing and she has no artistry. And her music started flopping when she hooked up with Affleck and started making cheesy romantic comedies. She lost her edge and then younger and more talented Shakira came to take her spot. She is a talented dancer though I will give her that. But as far as Latino pop stars, I think Christina Milian, Natasha Ramos and Christina Vidal (Taina) deserved a bigger push than her. That girl that sang "Miracles Happen", Myra should have gotten some attention.

Now onto the rest. NKOTB already had their episode. Why is Brett Michaels getting a solo one? He was part of Poison and that band was more important than him as a solo artist. Ricky Martin's career is interesting but he's not the only Menudo boy to enjoy success, there's also Draco Rosa and then there's that kid from Los Chicos, Chayanne who was successful as an adult.

Are they going to do more Hispanic artists like Jon Secada, Luis Miguel and Thalia?

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2021 6:00 PM

When was the last time Thalia did anything? She isn’t a household name.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2021 6:02 PM

Who does Jlo's singing these days?

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2021 6:07 PM

LL Cool J and Busta Rhymes had good songs. They are way better rappers than what comes out today.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2021 6:08 PM

R9 100%

Idk what Busta is up to, but LL went the acting route and stayed there.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2021 6:12 PM

I still think if Selena had lived and released her English language album, she would have happened. She would have been a fixture on TRL and became the face of Latin pop explosion movement. Maybe even did acting. She had the looks, charisma and plus she was an all-American country girl from Texas which would have endeared her to Middle America. Jennifer would just be doing movies and probably end up on a network TV procedural based on Karen Sisco. I think both would have happened but in different ways.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2021 6:14 PM

Selena didn't really have the looks though. Her face wasn't very pretty or "American" looking enough

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2021 6:16 PM

What? Selena was gorgeous. She had heavy Indigenous looks yes, an Aztec beauty to her. Maybe racist whites would not accept her. But she definitely would be embraced by the Black and Hispanic community more so than J. Lo would ever be.

Jennifer Lopez is mostly white (yes yes, I know she has Indigenous and African like many Ricans do but she is still mostly white just like Ricans are), so that's another reason she was embraced by Hollywood more. Colorism benefited her a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2021 6:19 PM

Paramount+ sucks! I signed up for a free trial so I could watch Quiet Place 2 and couldn't believe the frequency and length of the commercials. I would never sign up for that nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2021 6:25 PM

I might watch the Huey Lewis one especially if they mention his donkey dong.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2021 6:35 PM

“Behind the music, with J Lo’s own ghost vocalist!”

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 6:37 PM

VH1 really should do "I Love the 2000s" properly. The first one came out way too soon (in 2008). The 2000s now feels like a distinctive decade and people are looking back with nostalgia.

If they do more Rock Docs, then I would be happy. I loved watching those when they had marathons. VH1 actually still aired music videos after MTV stopped and the Top 20 Countdown was far better than anything TRL-related.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2021 5:26 PM

Ricky Martin has had two Behind The Music episodes already about him. The first was done in 2000 and his Mexican beard was interviewed. The second was done after he came out and the beard was never referred to.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2021 5:31 PM

The 2000s are distinctive but not in a good way imo. I look back and think how tacky that decade was.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2021 5:32 PM

R19 but many who were young look back with nostalgia. They sure were better than now.

I feel things started to change around 2008.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2021 5:37 PM

R19 LOL, I'm not disagreeing but it's not stopping people from having nostalgia. It was when the Internet became widely available to every home and social media took off. Nobody will forget 9/11. I loved a lot of the rock, R&B and electronic music that was coming out then. The politics though was awful. Bush was a joke and then the rise of Fox News and neo-con right-winger talking heads taking over. The fashion did suck but every day had terrible fashion except maybe the 1950s which aged well for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2021 5:38 PM

*every decade

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2021 5:38 PM

r12 Selena was beautiful, even more so without makeup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2021 5:46 PM

Ricky is getting a new episode because he waited 20 years too late to come out of the closet. So they need to update it.

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2021 1:02 AM

R24 no.

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2021 1:08 AM

R25 OK. I looked it up and you're right. They did give him a 2nd Behind The Music special that included his coming out. So I wonder why does he need a third one?

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2021 1:13 AM

Maybe about how his coming out has affected his mainstream success r26

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2021 1:15 AM

He was only big in The US in the late 90s up to the early 2000s which was thanks to the Latin pop explosion. He's still popular in the Spanish-speaking market. I don't think coming out made a difference because he didn't have a US hit for years when he did so. Plus, he still gets hits on the Latin charts and his most recent YouTube videos still can garner over a million views. A lot of people suspected he was gay for years and a lot of people didn't care besides maybe his obsessive fangirls who were delusional about having a chance with him.

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2021 1:22 AM

R28 that’s false. His music hasn’t done well in Spanish markets either. His last 2 or 3 full albums flopped.

by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2021 1:32 AM

My friend from Spain said Ricky Martin used to be huge over there but hasn’t had anything big over there in over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 30July 25, 2021 1:33 AM

R29 Maybe he got too old and his music got worse with each release? I don't think he was breaking any new grounds musically to begin with. Probably just ran his course. He was a former boy bander that got lucky just like Robbie Williams and Justin Timberlake. If homophobia was a reason then that would really suck.

And I'm also curious as to why New Kids on the Block needs a new one too? I think VH1 is trying to target Gen Xers or older Millennials with this selection. I'm just surprised they aren't making the new episodes about Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, One Direction, Lady Gaga or Katy Perry.

by Anonymousreply 31July 25, 2021 1:35 AM

I hope that they make that useless cunt look terrible like she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2021 1:54 AM

Homosexuality is still very taboo in most parts of Hispanic countries

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2021 1:55 AM

R28, Rickys career declined because everyone could see he was gay from outer space. He was the punchline of every gay joke on every late night show long before he came out.

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2021 2:06 AM

Ricky never hopped on the reggaton craze that Enrique was able to capitalize off. He did have a smash with Maluma in 2016 but nothing since then has taken off.

He is touring with Enrique later this year btw.

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2021 2:08 AM

Enrique didn’t do much reggaeton.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2021 2:14 AM

OK, I was always under the impression that Hispanic countries were less fanatically religious and far less judgmental than The US because they're Catholic not Evangelical Protestants. So I thought that while they may not approve of homosexuality but they don't care that much either about a famous person's personal life to go mental over it and boycott their music. That seems more up the alley of American Evangelicals who think the Bible is a science textbook and have a large portion of the population and American Catholics are even influenced by Evangelicalism.

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2021 2:19 AM

Gay people get killed in parts of Mexico and Dominican Republic etc still.

Being gay is taboo. No matter how much the TV says it isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2021 2:21 AM

I know about Jamaica and Haiti being violently homophobic. I'm surprised about Mexico and Dominican Republic for some reason. It must be in the very rural parts where tourists don't go. I know Brazil has it's issues with gay rights. Argentina apparently is said to be accepting. Isn't Puerto Rico actually the most accepting of gays in the Caribbean?

by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2021 2:28 AM

R39 welcome to the REAL WORLD.

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2021 2:31 AM

R39 it’s all about areas. Cancun you will most likely be fine but many other parts you won’t. That’s every country. Even the USA

by Anonymousreply 41July 25, 2021 2:32 AM

It's amazing Jlo's management didn't put more songs on her albums that could be released as singles and actually sell the CD.

by Anonymousreply 42July 25, 2021 10:59 AM

R42 what are you speaking about? Her first 3 albums sold well.

by Anonymousreply 43July 25, 2021 11:42 AM

R43 I mean on Rebirth there's was actually no other songs they could have released as singles, they have up after the second underperformed.

And on TIMT Baby I love you was a piece of shit with an awful video where she looked jaundiced

by Anonymousreply 44July 25, 2021 7:18 PM

R44 I agree about Baby I Love You but all the other singles from that album were good.

That was her last hit album. After that she had a few hit singles but that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 45July 25, 2021 7:22 PM

What shitty selections.

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2021 8:41 PM

The restaurant and bars I went to in Cuba all played Ricky Martin.

by Anonymousreply 47July 25, 2021 8:47 PM

Jennifer Lopez's pop music career was handed to her. She was just an actress who had buzz around her for her roles in "Selena", "U-Turn", "Out of Sight" and "Anaconda". The studio heads saw her "trigueña" looks could be marketable to multiple demographics and Tony Motolla wanted revenge on Mariah. Her team got her excellent producers and backup vocalists and got her songs from every genre (hip-hop, R&B, house, Latin). Set up some sexy music videos, got her TRL spots and she was all set to go. Granted, she did get her start as a hip-hop dancer and Puerto Ricans in NY did live in African-American neighborhoods. So she probably wasn't faking that part but she also grew up middle-class, not from the crackhouse or running with gangs.

Funny enough, if she was born and raised in Puerto Rico and tried becoming a star there, it's likely she would not have made it because the beauty standards for women are so heavily Eurocentric (which is pretty ludicrous since most of PR is mixed-race and black). In The US having an "exotic" (but still light-skinned) look can be very marketable because it broadens appeal to a wide audience. Look at Halle Berry and Salma Hayek.

by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2021 4:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!