Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Making the Cut S2 Viewing Thread

The contestants are kinda meh, but I do love how in love Olivia is with herself. I miss Naomi. The new judges suck.

by Anonymousreply 6510 hours ago

The cuts on the first two episodes were the right ones. No one really stands out to me, though.

by Anonymousreply 107/17/2021

I don't like Olivia and I don't like to dislike her because she's a reality TV 'villain.' She seems crazy.

"This is interesting. I've never actually had a negative criticique in my life."

So weird.

The show is fine. I loved the first episode's designs using vintage fabric patterns. It's a shame the designer is so sheepish and presents himself poorly. I can't see Amazon giving someone with so little confidence and business acumen a million dollars. It already seems like the wedding gown designer is probably going to win.

by Anonymousreply 207/17/2021

It started?

by Anonymousreply 307/17/2021

Yes, R3, two episodes dropped yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 407/17/2021

I watched this Thursday, and it says new episodes are released on Fridays. Yet yesterday there was no new episode!

[italic]Why must they persecute us ? ?

by Anonymousreply 507/17/2021

R2 - I agree the wedding gown designer is likely to win. She is pretty good though.

Olivia is cray, but she seems fun. I at least dig her confidence.

by Anonymousreply 607/17/2021

It’s kind of relaxing not having a big, nelly, bitchy queen on the show. There were usually at least 3 per season on “Project Runway”.

(And I say that with love.)

by Anonymousreply 707/17/2021

Joshua really made a comeback in week two but basically he skated through the first week based on his past collections verses what he designed. He should have gone home based on what he sent down the runway.

by Anonymousreply 807/17/2021

Really missing Naomi. She classed up the joint.

by Anonymousreply 907/17/2021

I thought Andrea P’s red and black swimsuit on the plus size model somewhat clashed with the rust + black coverup that went with it.

Is clashing a style now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1007/17/2021

I don’t think she changed the color; it’s probably the printing process on two different types of fabrics. Remember she scanned some fabric in and had it digitally printed. They don’t have time to recalibrate.

Andrea (wedding dress designer) had a good second episode but I thought she was overpraised in the first one…a basic strapless wedding gown on a plus size model? Please. Her other outfit with the ostrich feather leggings was interesting but in no way was that an “accessible” look.

Which again is the big problem with this show. They want ground breaking, innovative fashion that can be mass produced. All the “brand” talk, so boring. It’s how many buzzwords can you fit in one sentence.

My favorite so far is Gary. His stuff is very distinctive. The first episode designs were stunning but both relied on vintage or specialized fabric so I didn’t think he had a Hope in hell of winning. I bet he ends up doing a lot of his own digital prints vs hitting the fabric barn.

by Anonymousreply 1107/17/2021

[quote]R11 My favorite so far is Gary. His stuff is very distinctive. The first episode designs were stunning but both relied on vintage or specialized fabric so I didn’t think he had a Hope in hell of winning.

I’m never good at picking winners, but I did like his episode 1 looks.

In typical fashion, I can’t remember what he did in episode 2 (!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1207/17/2021

I didn’t realize until I read a write up is that he designed that print based on a motif from the coat. So he chose a retro color way (very 1940s) and had it printed it onto cotton.

Of course the next challenge is make two looks in one day. I remember that Winnie Harlow said one of his looked like a bedsheet (under a long coat), I think. His other look, I liked better but I don’t remember it. Haven’t found a website that shows all the looks yet.

They’re giving a lot of airtime to the short girl from New Orleans. Heidi and Tim seem to love her but she comes off a bit obnoxious to me. She’s down near the bottom because her designs are so complicated and she can’t work fast. OTOH, I really liked the collection she did for Adidas so there’s talent there.

by Anonymousreply 1307/17/2021

[quote] They’re giving a lot of airtime to the short girl from New Orleans. Heidi and Tim seem to love her but she comes off a bit obnoxious to me. She’s down near the bottom because her designs are so complicated and she can’t work fast.

She's getting a lot of screentime because she is serving up what reality television producers love: spectacle. She's a little person with a big, self-superior attitude who viewers will "love to hate." All these Project Runway clones always claim to be different by focusing on the designs and not on reality TV antics, and then they focus on reality TV antics and fail.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Sunday at 1:41 AM

R11 - I like Gary, too, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I don’t mind Olivia. I love her bragging about herself. I’m sure a lot of it is overcompensation, but we’ll see. If anyone can bring her down to size (no pun intended), though, it’s Heidi.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Sunday at 4:18 AM

I looked up his website and I am blown away by how talented he is. He makes one-of-a-kind garments using old fabrics or based on old silhouettes. There’s nothing mass produced about his work. But that’s just it: he’s the opposite of what MTC proposes to be, mass produced fast fashion. His work is too high quality. I hope his real objective is to get more clients for his existing business. Coats are over $1000 but he has dresses for $300.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16Last Sunday at 7:17 AM

R16 - I think a lot of his clothing could easily be mass produced for less than he charges. His silhouettes are actually pretty basic, though. It’s the fabrics that make his clothes stand apart, and that probably add to the cost. But the question is who his market would be. A lot of his clothes seem to skew older - or as Nina would say, matronly. I think the test for him will be to see if he can push his aesthetic younger and use more modern textiles and patterns. He can maintain his basic aesthetic, but he needs to evolve it a bit and make it a bit more youthful. Heidi would never pick anyone to win whose clothing skews older.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Sunday at 7:28 AM

I also read up on the mill where he gets his fabric woven; it’s wicked expensive! As far as his silhouettes, I hear you but there’s a balancing act between fabric and the design. His fabrics and how they’re combined need firm control over the garment. Otherwise you end up looking like a pile of rags like Rodarte (sorry, really dislike them). The clothes aren’t for 20-somethings, besides there are plenty of fashion companies catering to them. His client is more sophisticated, moneyed, but boho.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Sunday at 4:59 PM

I don’t disagree, R18, but we’re talking Heidi, who like short and tight.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Sunday at 5:09 PM

Lendrell from NJ, got eliminated on Episode 1. He kept talking about how he wanted to help others figure out the fashion business, but he really needed to help himself, first. (I think that's what he said - that he wanted to help others succeed in the fashion business.)

Dushyant, from India, got eliminated on Episode 2. I really liked that green dress. It was wearable and a cute color.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Sunday at 8:41 PM

R20 I didn’t mind Dushyant’s green dress. I would wear it, but it looked like something I could pick up at Target or H&M. He and Lendrell both had the same issue in that what they wore looked better than the clothes they designed.

by Anonymousreply 21Last Monday at 2:51 AM

I went to Lendrell’s website and his designs are not on par with the others. He seems like a nice enough guy but I agree with R20 he needs to improve his business first. I wonder how he even “made the cut” for casting.

by Anonymousreply 22Last Monday at 4:57 AM

Dushyant is self-taught and lacked resources to create a memorable brand that stands out(he said in episode two that he arrived in America and had to couch-surf for months). Apparently, he couldn't even afford to hire models to wear his clothes in the slideshow of episode two.

What bothers me on this show is that, for the most part, the fashion is basic, underwhelming ready to wear looks. And if the designer is being ambitious, he or she can't finish the original vision (because of time) and sends a mess down the runway.

The male looks of the resort wear challenge all felt like something right out of an International Male catalog. Though I did like Raf's accessible look (the guy did look sexy, just like Heidi said).

The inclusion of something called The Drop, a group of social media influencers, made my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Monday at 1:47 PM

The social media influencers are also why I think the winner will be someone younger and whose portfolio skews younger. Social media influencers it seems also tend to look at the designer themselves and their appearance, etc. I think they’re more conscious of someone looking the part, and also looking accessible.

I don’t think Dushyant stood a chance. He was a throwaway contestant who you knew would be easy to auf. I wouldn’t be surprised if Heidi goes into this with 2 or 3 in mind who fit what she wants in a winner, and chooses competitors she knows are expendable.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Monday at 4:58 PM

So far, Gary Graham's designs are my favorite.

IMO, resort wear is sort of a throw-away theme for a contest. Resort clothes? I think cheesy.

Andrea Pitter's "bridal" look was over-praised. IMO, it looked cheap with the cold shoulders and cut-outs. Then some fabric just draped. The black and red dress on the thinner model was a very basic design (tube dress with an asymmetric strap). Also, in the back of the dress, the pattern was not centered (it was supposed to be centered, like in a Rorschach card.

Olivia did get scolded by the male judge. He told her that her confidence could come off as cocky. I think she does have potential, though.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Monday at 6:52 PM

None have them have left me agape.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Monday at 7:12 PM

None of the guys turned me on, so I turned it off.

by Anonymousreply 27Last Monday at 7:43 PM

Olivia is who they’re really looking for to win although her designs won’t be sexy enough for Heidi. She’s brash, her stuff is youthful. OTOH, I thought the German woman was going to win last time but it went to that guy from LA who I don’t even remember his designs.

by Anonymousreply 28Last Tuesday at 3:28 AM

[quote] What bothers me on this show is that, for the most part, the fashion is basic, underwhelming ready to wear looks. And if the designer is being ambitious, he or she can't finish the original vision (because of time) and sends a mess down the runway.

It's Amazon. Their business model is availability, not quality.

I got into the habit of buying almost everything from Amazon years ago and one day realized I had never bought clothes through Amazon. So I searched and I was extemely underwhelmed by most of what I saw. I occasionaly saw something Iiked, ordered it, and received Amazon-quality (poorly made in countries like China) junk that did not hold up at all to the photos on the website.

I'd be really surprised if anything they sell based on the TV show is better than Wal-Mart quality. I have a distinct sense that the business model behind the show is to give away a huge prize (and secure royalty rights on clothing sales) with high-fashion personalities as hosts, with the idea of selling cheaply made versions of their designs to as many people as possible across the globe. They intentionally cast people from many countries and backgrounds to target public relations to those countries and try to get emotional buy in based on nationa pride. It's about moving a high volume of product, not about the art of design or selling high-quality attire.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Tuesday at 4:38 AM

I love Tim, but this feels cold and basic. I miss the little skits with Heidi and Tim. They gave the show some warmth in season one.

And if they have to cast only uggos, can't they at least give the pretty male models more air time?

by Anonymousreply 30Last Tuesday at 5:52 AM

R30 lol...half of the posts about the first season complained that the skits were lame and that the show would be much better without them.

by Anonymousreply 31Last Tuesday at 6:14 AM

I’m fine without the “skits”. They all seemed forced and painfully uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 32Last Tuesday at 6:17 AM

Here's Gary's Amazon version, it's not bad, compared to the Amazon versions from first season:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33Last Tuesday at 6:33 AM

R33 I’m tempted to order Gary’s dress but I don’t think that shade of army green will work with my skin tone, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Tuesday at 6:42 AM

[quote] I miss the little skits with Heidi and Tim.

I don’t miss those skits at all.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Tuesday at 8:44 AM

[quote]She's getting a lot of screentime because she is serving up what reality television producers love: spectacle. She's a little person with a big, self-superior attitude who viewers will "love to hate.

Some contestants are virtually missing from the footage. In Ep 2's runway segment, they suddenly (and very briefly) showed a woman contestant who I had no idea was on the show!

by Anonymousreply 36Last Tuesday at 9:36 AM

No skits in the fashion bubble - Thank you Covid! 🙏🏻 Last season made me hate Heidi - she seemed high or manic in every fucking skit.

Episode 1 Gary = ADORED! Episode 2 Gary = No. The first look could have been a random African woman in a dress she made herself. I honestly can’t remember the second look and I watched the show 30 minutes ago.

Joshua’s clown look was hilarious but he redeemed himself in epi 2. Andrea’s looks were not deserving of the win and I’m glad the influencers (🤮) chose Joshua.

Loved Lucie in epi 1 and she really fucked up her resort wear. Damn.

None of the guys are hot - I need to see more of Lucie’s French husband.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Tuesday at 5:47 PM

Resort wear is kind of a stupid category, IMO. You could, literally, put a caftan down the runway.

On Making the Cut, the contestants no longer have to actually sew the garments.

On Project Runway, there was a menswear challenge and WOW, the weaknesses really came out in the construction of the menswear. I.e., poorly tailored suit jackets.

With women's wear, you can do a bunch of flow-y shit and get praise, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Tuesday at 6:08 PM

I never really paid attention to women's fashion outside of these creative competition shows, but on every design show I've ever seen, resort wear has been second only to evening wear/gowns in frequency.

The dresses usually have a similar flowy, long silhouette and they do always strike me as something that can be made relatively easily, although I really have no idea. I remember when Anya won Project Runway with almost nothing but the same kind of resort dress, admitting she couldn't sew well, and Uli was a fan favorite who also did a similar style of dress almost every time. (I think Uli ultimately won an All Stars season making the same kind of resort dress she always made.) In both cases, it seemed like the women were praised for how they used patterned fabrics and their fabric choices. But both seemed to be one-trick ponies; however, over all those years, the judges and coaches on all these sorts of shows have always emphasized the market share that resort wear has in high-end design.

I can't think of many instances in real life of having seen women wear clothes like this, but I'm not rich. I can imagine Melania and Ivanka and Tiffany standing on the deck of Rupert Murdoch's yact draped in $8,000 original Uli caftans, though.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Wednesday at 1:18 AM

Uli Herzner resort galore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40Last Wednesday at 1:19 AM

Anya Ayoung-Chee...resort galore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41Last Wednesday at 1:20 AM

I liked Uli a lot, agree that her designs were all flowy, caftanesque, etc. I think she did have a really good eye for color and patterns.

by Anonymousreply 42Last Wednesday at 9:53 AM

Uli did great resort wear and elevated it with her good eye for fabrics and patterns.

She's one of the few artists who can make great designs look effortless, and that's an art in itself.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Wednesday at 9:56 AM

Anya also had a really good eye for caftan fabric but I remember in her season finale, Tim visited her workroom and her collection (thus far) was terrible. I can’t remember the details but it looked like she’d tried to expand her pitiful range and she didn’t have a decent fabric store nearby. So when they all reassembled in NYC, there was the unheard of last-minute shopping trip to Mood. She completely revamped her collection and it was all caftans. Does anyone else remember this?

by Anonymousreply 44Last Wednesday at 11:24 AM

Uli has a great understanding of anatomy and how fabrics drape. Although I would like to see her dresses on someone larger than an US 8.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Thursday at 4:27 PM

Episodes 3 and 4 are up on Amazon right now.

by Anonymousreply 46Last Thursday at 4:40 PM

Thanks, R46!

by Anonymousreply 47Last Thursday at 5:00 PM

Episodes 3 and 4 were very entertaining. These judges aren’t kidding around and I 100% agreed with their decisions.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Thursday at 9:04 PM

Bitchy Midget gone, Granola Gal gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49Last Thursday at 9:22 PM

Olivia didn’t throw her partner under the bus for forgetting to put thread in the bag for the seamstress causing more work for her because said partner can’t sew. That says a lot about her character. I’m glad they both got the boot. Neither seemed very interested in being there.

by Anonymousreply 50Last Thursday at 9:39 PM

Yes, looking at the two collections, it was like trying to weigh which was least worst.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Thursday at 9:43 PM

What is the point of sending their garments to the seamstress? Most of them come back unfinished.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Thursday at 11:00 PM

Is Gary on the aspergers/autism scale? Severe social anxiety?

by Anonymousreply 53Yesterday at 12:21 AM

Gary acts like he's one of those rubes who don't understand what "the next big fashion brand" means. The show wants a hustler, a whore who opens wide for any client who can pay or provide media exposure. Shy and aloof people cannot carry a brand in this social media age, but then that's exactly what celebrity spokespersons are for, to be the face of the fashion line.

by Anonymousreply 54Yesterday at 12:33 AM

Andrea (wedding dress designer) is the only real leader/manager in the group. I can see her leading a brand. The rest are a bunch of wet rags personality-wise.

by Anonymousreply 55Yesterday at 3:26 AM

Gary was surprisingly hot when he modeled- his face really transformed. It's a pity about his teeth, although that could be fixed. I was also surprised when Olivia didn't mention how the Pretty One couldn't sew and forgot the thread. Both of their collections were so bland, but Olivia's had a spark of personality.

by Anonymousreply 56a day ago

I think Tim wanted to bitch slap Olivia. Ha!

I could read the writing on the wall and knew they were both history - they didn’t even mention one design being “accessible” to sell on Amazon.

Basic designs might be making these designers $ - but they don’t make good tv. It will be interesting to see who is next on the chopping block…

by Anonymousreply 5721 hours ago

The accessible garment decides who wins. I think Andrea and Ally should have won the wedding challenge but the other teams accessible look is something that will sell. If Andrea is going to continue using a plus size model then she needs to watch out for lumps and bumps because the models pantyline was highly visible in that dress.

by Anonymousreply 5821 hours ago

None of the designers wow. I wonder if it’d be different if they had more time.

by Anonymousreply 5916 hours ago

You'd think if the underwriter is paying a million bucks a season as a prize, they could do away with the "make three outfits in seven hours" challenges. Give them time to see what they can accomplish.

by Anonymousreply 6016 hours ago

Exactly. Of course their looks will be basic given the time.

by Anonymousreply 6116 hours ago

I'm watching Episodes 3 and 4 now. Love Lucie's wedding dress.

by Anonymousreply 6214 hours ago

Same r62. Beautiful piece.

by Anonymousreply 6314 hours ago

I can understand why Olivia got frustrated with Andrea (slow, didn't know how to sew). But OMG, Olivia was rude to Tim Gunn. Why would anyone ever be rude to him? He's so kind and polite.

by Anonymousreply 6414 hours ago

Because she has a big chip on her little shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 6510 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!