Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Making the Cut S2 Viewing Thread

The contestants are kinda meh, but I do love how in love Olivia is with herself. I miss Naomi. The new judges suck.

by Anonymousreply 241September 19, 2021 9:14 PM

The cuts on the first two episodes were the right ones. No one really stands out to me, though.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2021 4:03 PM

I don't like Olivia and I don't like to dislike her because she's a reality TV 'villain.' She seems crazy.

"This is interesting. I've never actually had a negative criticique in my life."

So weird.

The show is fine. I loved the first episode's designs using vintage fabric patterns. It's a shame the designer is so sheepish and presents himself poorly. I can't see Amazon giving someone with so little confidence and business acumen a million dollars. It already seems like the wedding gown designer is probably going to win.

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2021 4:21 PM

It started?

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2021 4:24 PM

Yes, R3, two episodes dropped yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2021 4:31 PM

I watched this Thursday, and it says new episodes are released on Fridays. Yet yesterday there was no new episode!

[italic]Why must they persecute us ? ?

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2021 4:35 PM

R2 - I agree the wedding gown designer is likely to win. She is pretty good though.

Olivia is cray, but she seems fun. I at least dig her confidence.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2021 5:03 PM

It’s kind of relaxing not having a big, nelly, bitchy queen on the show. There were usually at least 3 per season on “Project Runway”.

(And I say that with love.)

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2021 1:01 AM

Joshua really made a comeback in week two but basically he skated through the first week based on his past collections verses what he designed. He should have gone home based on what he sent down the runway.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2021 1:11 AM

Really missing Naomi. She classed up the joint.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2021 1:12 AM

I thought Andrea P’s red and black swimsuit on the plus size model somewhat clashed with the rust + black coverup that went with it.

Is clashing a style now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2021 2:07 AM

I don’t think she changed the color; it’s probably the printing process on two different types of fabrics. Remember she scanned some fabric in and had it digitally printed. They don’t have time to recalibrate.

Andrea (wedding dress designer) had a good second episode but I thought she was overpraised in the first one…a basic strapless wedding gown on a plus size model? Please. Her other outfit with the ostrich feather leggings was interesting but in no way was that an “accessible” look.

Which again is the big problem with this show. They want ground breaking, innovative fashion that can be mass produced. All the “brand” talk, so boring. It’s how many buzzwords can you fit in one sentence.

My favorite so far is Gary. His stuff is very distinctive. The first episode designs were stunning but both relied on vintage or specialized fabric so I didn’t think he had a Hope in hell of winning. I bet he ends up doing a lot of his own digital prints vs hitting the fabric barn.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2021 3:01 AM

[quote]R11 My favorite so far is Gary. His stuff is very distinctive. The first episode designs were stunning but both relied on vintage or specialized fabric so I didn’t think he had a Hope in hell of winning.

I’m never good at picking winners, but I did like his episode 1 looks.

In typical fashion, I can’t remember what he did in episode 2 (!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2021 3:16 AM

I didn’t realize until I read a write up is that he designed that print based on a motif from the coat. So he chose a retro color way (very 1940s) and had it printed it onto cotton.

Of course the next challenge is make two looks in one day. I remember that Winnie Harlow said one of his looked like a bedsheet (under a long coat), I think. His other look, I liked better but I don’t remember it. Haven’t found a website that shows all the looks yet.

They’re giving a lot of airtime to the short girl from New Orleans. Heidi and Tim seem to love her but she comes off a bit obnoxious to me. She’s down near the bottom because her designs are so complicated and she can’t work fast. OTOH, I really liked the collection she did for Adidas so there’s talent there.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2021 3:40 AM

[quote] They’re giving a lot of airtime to the short girl from New Orleans. Heidi and Tim seem to love her but she comes off a bit obnoxious to me. She’s down near the bottom because her designs are so complicated and she can’t work fast.

She's getting a lot of screentime because she is serving up what reality television producers love: spectacle. She's a little person with a big, self-superior attitude who viewers will "love to hate." All these Project Runway clones always claim to be different by focusing on the designs and not on reality TV antics, and then they focus on reality TV antics and fail.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2021 9:41 AM

R11 - I like Gary, too, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I don’t mind Olivia. I love her bragging about herself. I’m sure a lot of it is overcompensation, but we’ll see. If anyone can bring her down to size (no pun intended), though, it’s Heidi.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2021 12:18 PM

I looked up his website and I am blown away by how talented he is. He makes one-of-a-kind garments using old fabrics or based on old silhouettes. There’s nothing mass produced about his work. But that’s just it: he’s the opposite of what MTC proposes to be, mass produced fast fashion. His work is too high quality. I hope his real objective is to get more clients for his existing business. Coats are over $1000 but he has dresses for $300.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2021 3:17 PM

R16 - I think a lot of his clothing could easily be mass produced for less than he charges. His silhouettes are actually pretty basic, though. It’s the fabrics that make his clothes stand apart, and that probably add to the cost. But the question is who his market would be. A lot of his clothes seem to skew older - or as Nina would say, matronly. I think the test for him will be to see if he can push his aesthetic younger and use more modern textiles and patterns. He can maintain his basic aesthetic, but he needs to evolve it a bit and make it a bit more youthful. Heidi would never pick anyone to win whose clothing skews older.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2021 3:28 PM

I also read up on the mill where he gets his fabric woven; it’s wicked expensive! As far as his silhouettes, I hear you but there’s a balancing act between fabric and the design. His fabrics and how they’re combined need firm control over the garment. Otherwise you end up looking like a pile of rags like Rodarte (sorry, really dislike them). The clothes aren’t for 20-somethings, besides there are plenty of fashion companies catering to them. His client is more sophisticated, moneyed, but boho.

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2021 12:59 AM

I don’t disagree, R18, but we’re talking Heidi, who like short and tight.

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2021 1:09 AM

Lendrell from NJ, got eliminated on Episode 1. He kept talking about how he wanted to help others figure out the fashion business, but he really needed to help himself, first. (I think that's what he said - that he wanted to help others succeed in the fashion business.)

Dushyant, from India, got eliminated on Episode 2. I really liked that green dress. It was wearable and a cute color.

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2021 4:41 AM

R20 I didn’t mind Dushyant’s green dress. I would wear it, but it looked like something I could pick up at Target or H&M. He and Lendrell both had the same issue in that what they wore looked better than the clothes they designed.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2021 10:51 AM

I went to Lendrell’s website and his designs are not on par with the others. He seems like a nice enough guy but I agree with R20 he needs to improve his business first. I wonder how he even “made the cut” for casting.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2021 12:57 PM

Dushyant is self-taught and lacked resources to create a memorable brand that stands out(he said in episode two that he arrived in America and had to couch-surf for months). Apparently, he couldn't even afford to hire models to wear his clothes in the slideshow of episode two.

What bothers me on this show is that, for the most part, the fashion is basic, underwhelming ready to wear looks. And if the designer is being ambitious, he or she can't finish the original vision (because of time) and sends a mess down the runway.

The male looks of the resort wear challenge all felt like something right out of an International Male catalog. Though I did like Raf's accessible look (the guy did look sexy, just like Heidi said).

The inclusion of something called The Drop, a group of social media influencers, made my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2021 9:47 PM

The social media influencers are also why I think the winner will be someone younger and whose portfolio skews younger. Social media influencers it seems also tend to look at the designer themselves and their appearance, etc. I think they’re more conscious of someone looking the part, and also looking accessible.

I don’t think Dushyant stood a chance. He was a throwaway contestant who you knew would be easy to auf. I wouldn’t be surprised if Heidi goes into this with 2 or 3 in mind who fit what she wants in a winner, and chooses competitors she knows are expendable.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2021 12:58 AM

So far, Gary Graham's designs are my favorite.

IMO, resort wear is sort of a throw-away theme for a contest. Resort clothes? I think cheesy.

Andrea Pitter's "bridal" look was over-praised. IMO, it looked cheap with the cold shoulders and cut-outs. Then some fabric just draped. The black and red dress on the thinner model was a very basic design (tube dress with an asymmetric strap). Also, in the back of the dress, the pattern was not centered (it was supposed to be centered, like in a Rorschach card.

Olivia did get scolded by the male judge. He told her that her confidence could come off as cocky. I think she does have potential, though.

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2021 2:52 AM

None have them have left me agape.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2021 3:12 AM

None of the guys turned me on, so I turned it off.

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2021 3:43 AM

Olivia is who they’re really looking for to win although her designs won’t be sexy enough for Heidi. She’s brash, her stuff is youthful. OTOH, I thought the German woman was going to win last time but it went to that guy from LA who I don’t even remember his designs.

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2021 11:28 AM

[quote] What bothers me on this show is that, for the most part, the fashion is basic, underwhelming ready to wear looks. And if the designer is being ambitious, he or she can't finish the original vision (because of time) and sends a mess down the runway.

It's Amazon. Their business model is availability, not quality.

I got into the habit of buying almost everything from Amazon years ago and one day realized I had never bought clothes through Amazon. So I searched and I was extemely underwhelmed by most of what I saw. I occasionaly saw something Iiked, ordered it, and received Amazon-quality (poorly made in countries like China) junk that did not hold up at all to the photos on the website.

I'd be really surprised if anything they sell based on the TV show is better than Wal-Mart quality. I have a distinct sense that the business model behind the show is to give away a huge prize (and secure royalty rights on clothing sales) with high-fashion personalities as hosts, with the idea of selling cheaply made versions of their designs to as many people as possible across the globe. They intentionally cast people from many countries and backgrounds to target public relations to those countries and try to get emotional buy in based on nationa pride. It's about moving a high volume of product, not about the art of design or selling high-quality attire.

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2021 12:38 PM

I love Tim, but this feels cold and basic. I miss the little skits with Heidi and Tim. They gave the show some warmth in season one.

And if they have to cast only uggos, can't they at least give the pretty male models more air time?

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2021 1:52 PM

R30 lol...half of the posts about the first season complained that the skits were lame and that the show would be much better without them.

by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2021 2:14 PM

I’m fine without the “skits”. They all seemed forced and painfully uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2021 2:17 PM

Here's Gary's Amazon version, it's not bad, compared to the Amazon versions from first season:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 20, 2021 2:33 PM

R33 I’m tempted to order Gary’s dress but I don’t think that shade of army green will work with my skin tone, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 34July 20, 2021 2:42 PM

[quote] I miss the little skits with Heidi and Tim.

I don’t miss those skits at all.

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2021 4:44 PM

[quote]She's getting a lot of screentime because she is serving up what reality television producers love: spectacle. She's a little person with a big, self-superior attitude who viewers will "love to hate.

Some contestants are virtually missing from the footage. In Ep 2's runway segment, they suddenly (and very briefly) showed a woman contestant who I had no idea was on the show!

by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2021 5:36 PM

No skits in the fashion bubble - Thank you Covid! 🙏🏻 Last season made me hate Heidi - she seemed high or manic in every fucking skit.

Episode 1 Gary = ADORED! Episode 2 Gary = No. The first look could have been a random African woman in a dress she made herself. I honestly can’t remember the second look and I watched the show 30 minutes ago.

Joshua’s clown look was hilarious but he redeemed himself in epi 2. Andrea’s looks were not deserving of the win and I’m glad the influencers (🤮) chose Joshua.

Loved Lucie in epi 1 and she really fucked up her resort wear. Damn.

None of the guys are hot - I need to see more of Lucie’s French husband.

by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2021 1:47 AM

Resort wear is kind of a stupid category, IMO. You could, literally, put a caftan down the runway.

On Making the Cut, the contestants no longer have to actually sew the garments.

On Project Runway, there was a menswear challenge and WOW, the weaknesses really came out in the construction of the menswear. I.e., poorly tailored suit jackets.

With women's wear, you can do a bunch of flow-y shit and get praise, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2021 2:08 AM

I never really paid attention to women's fashion outside of these creative competition shows, but on every design show I've ever seen, resort wear has been second only to evening wear/gowns in frequency.

The dresses usually have a similar flowy, long silhouette and they do always strike me as something that can be made relatively easily, although I really have no idea. I remember when Anya won Project Runway with almost nothing but the same kind of resort dress, admitting she couldn't sew well, and Uli was a fan favorite who also did a similar style of dress almost every time. (I think Uli ultimately won an All Stars season making the same kind of resort dress she always made.) In both cases, it seemed like the women were praised for how they used patterned fabrics and their fabric choices. But both seemed to be one-trick ponies; however, over all those years, the judges and coaches on all these sorts of shows have always emphasized the market share that resort wear has in high-end design.

I can't think of many instances in real life of having seen women wear clothes like this, but I'm not rich. I can imagine Melania and Ivanka and Tiffany standing on the deck of Rupert Murdoch's yact draped in $8,000 original Uli caftans, though.

by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2021 9:18 AM

Uli Herzner resort galore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2021 9:19 AM

Anya Ayoung-Chee...resort galore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 21, 2021 9:20 AM

I liked Uli a lot, agree that her designs were all flowy, caftanesque, etc. I think she did have a really good eye for color and patterns.

by Anonymousreply 42July 21, 2021 5:53 PM

Uli did great resort wear and elevated it with her good eye for fabrics and patterns.

She's one of the few artists who can make great designs look effortless, and that's an art in itself.

by Anonymousreply 43July 21, 2021 5:56 PM

Anya also had a really good eye for caftan fabric but I remember in her season finale, Tim visited her workroom and her collection (thus far) was terrible. I can’t remember the details but it looked like she’d tried to expand her pitiful range and she didn’t have a decent fabric store nearby. So when they all reassembled in NYC, there was the unheard of last-minute shopping trip to Mood. She completely revamped her collection and it was all caftans. Does anyone else remember this?

by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2021 7:24 PM

Uli has a great understanding of anatomy and how fabrics drape. Although I would like to see her dresses on someone larger than an US 8.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2021 12:27 AM

Episodes 3 and 4 are up on Amazon right now.

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2021 12:40 AM

Thanks, R46!

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2021 1:00 AM

Episodes 3 and 4 were very entertaining. These judges aren’t kidding around and I 100% agreed with their decisions.

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2021 5:04 AM

Bitchy Midget gone, Granola Gal gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2021 5:22 AM

Olivia didn’t throw her partner under the bus for forgetting to put thread in the bag for the seamstress causing more work for her because said partner can’t sew. That says a lot about her character. I’m glad they both got the boot. Neither seemed very interested in being there.

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2021 5:39 AM

Yes, looking at the two collections, it was like trying to weigh which was least worst.

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2021 5:43 AM

What is the point of sending their garments to the seamstress? Most of them come back unfinished.

by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2021 7:00 AM

Is Gary on the aspergers/autism scale? Severe social anxiety?

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2021 8:21 AM

Gary acts like he's one of those rubes who don't understand what "the next big fashion brand" means. The show wants a hustler, a whore who opens wide for any client who can pay or provide media exposure. Shy and aloof people cannot carry a brand in this social media age, but then that's exactly what celebrity spokespersons are for, to be the face of the fashion line.

by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2021 8:33 AM

Andrea (wedding dress designer) is the only real leader/manager in the group. I can see her leading a brand. The rest are a bunch of wet rags personality-wise.

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2021 11:26 AM

Gary was surprisingly hot when he modeled- his face really transformed. It's a pity about his teeth, although that could be fixed. I was also surprised when Olivia didn't mention how the Pretty One couldn't sew and forgot the thread. Both of their collections were so bland, but Olivia's had a spark of personality.

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2021 3:48 PM

I think Tim wanted to bitch slap Olivia. Ha!

I could read the writing on the wall and knew they were both history - they didn’t even mention one design being “accessible” to sell on Amazon.

Basic designs might be making these designers $ - but they don’t make good tv. It will be interesting to see who is next on the chopping block…

by Anonymousreply 57July 23, 2021 6:44 PM

The accessible garment decides who wins. I think Andrea and Ally should have won the wedding challenge but the other teams accessible look is something that will sell. If Andrea is going to continue using a plus size model then she needs to watch out for lumps and bumps because the models pantyline was highly visible in that dress.

by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2021 6:54 PM

None of the designers wow. I wonder if it’d be different if they had more time.

by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2021 11:57 PM

You'd think if the underwriter is paying a million bucks a season as a prize, they could do away with the "make three outfits in seven hours" challenges. Give them time to see what they can accomplish.

by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2021 12:05 AM

Exactly. Of course their looks will be basic given the time.

by Anonymousreply 61July 24, 2021 12:08 AM

I'm watching Episodes 3 and 4 now. Love Lucie's wedding dress.

by Anonymousreply 62July 24, 2021 1:43 AM

Same r62. Beautiful piece.

by Anonymousreply 63July 24, 2021 1:48 AM

I can understand why Olivia got frustrated with Andrea (slow, didn't know how to sew). But OMG, Olivia was rude to Tim Gunn. Why would anyone ever be rude to him? He's so kind and polite.

by Anonymousreply 64July 24, 2021 2:00 AM

Because she has a big chip on her little shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 65July 24, 2021 5:32 AM

Olivia seems like the stereotypical only child. When she said she was one, that kind of explained a lot.

by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2021 2:14 PM

Olivia's men's wedding suit (black leather or pleather) was awful, IMO. Maybe I'm too old to appreciate it. I still think Olivia had potential, but her approach to working with other people was immature. Instead of taking advantage of the help, she basically sulked. I'm sure she learned nothing from the experience.

Ally's designs were boring and, frankly, I was sick of hearing her refer to her "fiancée." She said she wanted to do dolman sleeves, so I looked it up. I hate dolman sleeves!

Andrea was a drama queen and should not have been causing Ally stress at the show-down. Ally was on the chopping block and didn't need to be dealing with Andrea's feelings.

I hope Ally can be successful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 24, 2021 4:53 PM

What’s the point of utilizing seamstresses if the stuff comes back unfinished 2 hours before the runway show.

by Anonymousreply 68July 24, 2021 6:26 PM

The black wedding designer girl stands out so far.

by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2021 6:28 PM

The $1M jackpot is not commensurate with calibre of contestants this year. I miss designers like Esther from last season.

by Anonymousreply 70July 24, 2021 6:34 PM

Esther Perbandt is cool as well. About a year or so ago, I bought some shoes from her website. I had some questions re: the sizing (IIRC, European size) and she and I went back and forth a bit by email. She was awesome to deal with and I love the shoes I bought.

by Anonymousreply 71July 24, 2021 7:05 PM

R69. You’re right. Andrea is very smart and savvy as well as being talented. That’s what the judges are looking for. Ally and Olivia were clueless and not very ambitious.

by Anonymousreply 72July 24, 2021 7:58 PM

I think it will come down to Andrea (wedding) and Gary…and which one is more confident and mediagenic? But if you look at Andrea’s website, 90% of her gowns are strapless with a mermaid skirt. So that’s what her customer base wants. She’s not showing much range there. Other wedding gown designers show a spectrum of styles. Leanne Marshall from PR did a line of dip-dyed tulle once, gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 73July 25, 2021 3:24 PM

Andrea from Columbia is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 74July 25, 2021 5:49 PM

r74, she's had a good nose job.

I would love for Gary to succeed, but he is so not media-friendly. He needs a business agent/manager/PR consultant.

by Anonymousreply 75July 25, 2021 6:16 PM

Gary looks like a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 76July 25, 2021 6:19 PM

Olivia vs Tim. In this case, Olivia was too much in her head. She’d just finished a challenge with Pretty-Girl-Who-Can’t-Sew. Now, that’s one of the big changes from PR, because a lot of real life designers “don’t sew” but if they went to fashion design school, they absolutely had to learn to sew. Olivia had to remake Andrea’s bra-top bodice in their original challenge so they wouldn’t lose outright.

So, faced with this sew-off challenge…and stuck with the same non-sewer, I think Olivia was just exhausted thinking about it, like was she being set up for failure? She was tagged as being a micro-manager but think, did she really know these people after a week (?), could she trust them to follow her instructions? She let her experience with Andrea cloud her judgement. And yes she’s young and kinda obnoxious but she didn’t come out and tell Tim that Andrea was dragging the team down.

by Anonymousreply 77July 25, 2021 7:02 PM

Aside from Andrea, Olivia had 2 other contestants (helpers) she had no issues with: Gary & Joshua.

Yes, Andrea was a pain & minimally helpful. I could 100% understand Olivia's frustration with Andrea.

Gary and / or Joshua said that Olivia could not delegate.

If Olivia can not communicate verbally (having a problem with Andrea), then that is Olivia's problem.

Also, just being rude like that? If she wants to expand her business, she is going to have to deal with people in a professional manner.

That "fixed" bra top looked horrible.

by Anonymousreply 78July 25, 2021 7:10 PM

I fell asleep watching the first episode TWICE now. It just isn't holding my attention.

by Anonymousreply 79July 25, 2021 8:24 PM

R79, you have to skip through these episodes to the parts where the models are walking down the runway. (Cut to the chase - the final products.)

by Anonymousreply 80July 25, 2021 8:27 PM

I'm missing Naomi Campbell from this judge panel.

She was surprisingly (for me) great, gave good critique and advice, and actually rooted and fought for some of S01 designers.

by Anonymousreply 81July 26, 2021 12:07 AM

I agree about Naomi. I liked her much more than I thought I would and she was tough but kind with the designers. Never tried to be funny at their expense.

by Anonymousreply 82July 26, 2021 12:31 AM

I too am getting on the Naomi love train here. I miss her as well, and like R81 I was kind of shocked she was such a great judge, and advocate for the designers she believed in. Her critiques were spot on and sharp and she still came across surprisingly warm. Winnie is not bad but we'll see how she goes the tougher the race gets.

by Anonymousreply 83July 26, 2021 12:45 AM

Yup. Naomi was great as a judge. Sharp, funny, but not unkind. She recently adopted (?) or had a baby, so maybe she wanted to pass on this season.

by Anonymousreply 84July 26, 2021 1:06 AM

I wish they had shown the designers' portfolios that got them on the show. I'd be surprised if Ally had anything besides variations of the snoozy looks she already showed. She seemed nice though, Olivia just came off as a self-impressed bitch. Her clothes were FUG and she had no sense of proportion.

by Anonymousreply 85July 26, 2021 4:23 AM

Considering the first season locales (NY, Paris, London, Tokyo), and this season Covid locale, Malibu, I'm sure Naomi wasn't interested.

by Anonymousreply 86July 26, 2021 4:48 AM

Does Naomi still live in Russia with an evil old olicarch, or did that fall apart?

I just googled her home and I see that she owns a retreat home in Kenya but couldn't find her primary place of residence.

by Anonymousreply 87July 26, 2021 10:08 AM

Heidi does AGT so she probably needed to stay in LA.

by Anonymousreply 88July 26, 2021 10:20 AM

I would’ve preferred one of the older supermodels of the 80s and 90s as a judge instead of Winnie. I can’t stand Jeremy Scott.

by Anonymousreply 89July 26, 2021 10:23 AM

It just occurred to me that Winnie has two use two different colors of makeup on her face and must carefully trace the borders of her skin mottling. I wonder if her makeup artist is paid extra for the attention they have to pay!

I like her as a judge. She seems forthright and not too arrogant.

I agree about Jeremy Scott. He can go. He's too haughty, like the guy Joseph Altuzarra was.

I was into fashion when I was young, probably because it felt obligatory as a gay guy based on everything I had seen on TV, but I'm so glad I stayed away from the enterprise. It's weird; a lot of women who are in the fashion business seem like astute businesspeople, while the gay men seem to be equally businessminded and unnecessarily mean.

by Anonymousreply 90July 26, 2021 10:34 AM

R53 I had the same thought. Gary has to be on the spectrum the way he comes across. He seems to process things in a unique way and I think that’s what comes through in his designs.

My prediction for final 3 is Gary, the Polish gay dude and Joshua. Wedding dress Andrea will self-sabotage just before the finals.

by Anonymousreply 91July 26, 2021 11:41 AM

I wondered if Andrea was scolded about making the same feathered pants.

by Anonymousreply 92July 26, 2021 12:55 PM

Andrea needs to avoid feathers going forward.

by Anonymousreply 93July 26, 2021 4:17 PM

I like that they're using real designers who have their businesses (however small) instead of small town dreamers, but they want to make the next Karl Lagerfeld out of them, which isn't going to happen. Ally seems to have a fine business and knows what her clientele wants--she doesn't need to push and wow and everything they were telling her before she got booted. Maybe one of the ones left with talent will be able to build a similarly viable business with the one million.

Amazon be damned, but it's nice the to have the accessible thing available for purchase. It's good for the designers and good for fashion-interested people who can't afford anything beyond H&M. The smart ones will focus on that piece--if it's not mass marketable, they're not going to win a challenge.

The most annoying thing is the garishly dressed, poorly made-up panel handing out style wisdom to a mostly attractive and better put-together cast.

by Anonymousreply 94July 26, 2021 4:53 PM

Indeed. Considering the costumes that Jeremy and Heidi are showing up in, both of them need to STFU.

by Anonymousreply 95July 26, 2021 4:59 PM

Most likely Gary and wedding dress woman in the final. Gary because of skills, point-of-view, and experience; the woman because of her backstory and sewing skills. So far the fashion she's shown has been dull.

by Anonymousreply 96July 26, 2021 5:03 PM

So, has the guy who won the first season become the next major international fashion brand yet?

by Anonymousreply 97July 26, 2021 5:14 PM

I think the only person who ever came out of any of these types of clothing design shows was Christian Siriano, who was smart enough to do partnerships with Payless Shoes, etc, and fit larger ladies (Leslie Jones from SNL). He has a very savvy business sense. Wasn't he a mentor for the 1st season?

by Anonymousreply 98July 26, 2021 5:35 PM

Chloe has a successful business.

by Anonymousreply 99July 26, 2021 5:44 PM

Christian is a mentor on PR. I did not enjoy him as a contestant but love him as a mentor.

by Anonymousreply 100July 26, 2021 7:30 PM

Olivia’s insecurities outweighed her talent as a designer.

by Anonymousreply 101July 26, 2021 8:02 PM

Yea, I don’t know how Christian does it. I’ve seen all his collections and for the past five years, they’ve been meh. Yes, he can pull off a designer gown for a big event but those are freebies for publicity and he’s canny going for underserved celebrities who aren’t having racks of couture thrown at them. I suspect most of these designers survive by having a business partner who wants to write off losses for tax reasons. That’s if they don’t have a perfume or handbag line.

by Anonymousreply 102July 26, 2021 8:11 PM

I expect the next episode to be a fricking disaster: it’s the Avant Garde challenge. Trying to parse “avant garde + Amazon” now.

by Anonymousreply 103July 26, 2021 8:14 PM

Avante garde with denim, R103. That’s even more cringeworthy. The judges on this and PR never judge anything on its avante garde worthiness - they’re still looking for what’s wearable and marketable.

by Anonymousreply 104July 26, 2021 9:19 PM

New episodes just went up on Amazon :)

by Anonymousreply 105July 30, 2021 12:09 AM

Really don’t like Jeremy Scott. He’s just bitchy, but not the good kind of bitchy. Winnie is growing on me.

by Anonymousreply 106July 30, 2021 4:18 AM

I’m guessing the finale is next week. Damn that was fast. I can’t believe Colombian Andrea made it this far. When she was on the chopping block and threw in ‘I’m a Latina’ I knew they wouldn’t send her home. I was sad to see Lucie go. Joshua was not happy he didn’t make the cut but he was really hot or miss. Mostly miss.

by Anonymousreply 107July 30, 2021 12:46 PM

Josh had a huge missed opportunity with his red denim by not making a suit out of it. He really had no concept of how to execute avante garde, either. And he really didn’t do much in his interview to support his own cause. When the judges told him he should have done a suit, he pushed back. That wasn’t smart on his part. He understands how to make clothes, but he doesn’t understand fashion. Gary, on the other hand, understands fashion as well as fashion as an art form. If he doesn’t win, it’ll be a travesty of Anya proportions.

by Anonymousreply 108July 30, 2021 1:18 PM

Josh's red garment was not avant garde. Not sure how he though putting a white ruffle all around the entire silhouette was a good thing.

I liked Lucie & liked the yellow trench a lot. But I got tired of her time management BS, which started from maybe Episode 1. She turned in her garment bag too late for the seamstress to help, had to sew her garments herself. Then, after that, another contestant had to tell her to hurry up and turn your garment in to the seamstress.

Yes, Lucies's a mom & wife, but so are a lot of other ambitious women. I think she wanted to drop out and that's why she had that lackadaisical attitude about time & production.

by Anonymousreply 109July 30, 2021 5:17 PM

I think they only gave a partial win to the wedding dress designer to make it seem like there's still competition for Gary. The Colombian can have a nice little business with tacky Miami ladies, but she's not going to win this. Gary is way ahead of all of them.

I liked the Polish guy and his looks, but he didn't have what it takes to win a show like this.

by Anonymousreply 110July 30, 2021 7:29 PM

Gary is definitely the winner. Wedding dress Andrea may come in second.

by Anonymousreply 111July 30, 2021 7:37 PM

Lucie’s trench was beautiful. It had some kind of distressed detail on the lapel that threw me, but it had a gorgeous shape.

by Anonymousreply 112July 30, 2021 10:28 PM

I thought the contrasting shoulder detail on this was kind of bulky and fig. But they can adjust the pattern in production.

I much preferred the other version (can’t find pic)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 30, 2021 10:32 PM

FUG! Not “fig”!

oh god

by Anonymousreply 114July 30, 2021 10:32 PM

I think Lucie could have convinced the judges to give her another shot if she had tried. But she didn’t. She didn’t seem to want to be there.

by Anonymousreply 115July 30, 2021 10:40 PM

You have to read the customer reviews on these Making the Cut items.

I don't understand why Amazon would give a designer a million dollars and then turn their designs into trash clothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 31, 2021 1:15 AM

I had a feeling that Amazon would go super cheap on the production.

by Anonymousreply 117July 31, 2021 1:17 AM

Although Gary's dress is getting rave reviews. I also feel that Levi's would not put out a sub-par product for $200.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 31, 2021 2:01 AM

Gary HAS to win this.

I knew Latina Andrea was safe when she started her sob story.

Hated Joshua’s cheap ruffle on his coat. He was always very hit or miss though.

Liked Polish guy, but knew his designs wouldn’t get him the win.

Loved Lucie’s trench! Why that horrible vid? Ugh! Although, she seemed a little checked out after the challenge where she had to help sew what’s her name’s collection. When she mentioned sweatshop - I knew she was over this experience. Lol

by Anonymousreply 119July 31, 2021 2:53 AM

I just looked at Lucie's website, which starts with a lovely video. All the designs she did on the show are there, but well executed (of course). All very elegant and chic--I'd much rather see women dressed in her designs than in leopard print with sequins and studs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 31, 2021 7:02 AM

Yeah, I liked Lucie's aesthetic and attitude better, although the antics that were emphasized for the show did reflect poorly on her time management.

Latina Andrea annoys me. She definitely has a fire and "wants this!" as is rule no 1 for any reality show contestant, but it seems she can't sew and nothing she has done seems special to me.

On one hand, knowing that animal prints sell the most across the fashion business is well studied and shows she knows more about the business than many probably do, but on the other hand...leopard mini skirts and glittery ostrich feathers getting rave reviews by fashion judges?

And her being called brilliant for making mini skirts and tops that can be used as separates?

It shows how arbitrary judging on shows like this is. I can easily imagine Michael Kors going in on these designs and saying the models look like homeless hookers taking handouts outside of a Hollywood Blvd TJ Maxx, and calling them basic, nothing special, something every girl has a million of but decorated with gaudy animal prints and feathers to compensate for being unimaginative.

I'm also surprised that all the judges went gaga over wedding-Andrea's video. Without the explanation, I wouldn't have gotten the point of it. One woman leers at the other woman and then they have an overacted exchange and then they're laughing together with mimed "you go, girl" body language? Weird.

And Winnie said that that reflects today's spirit of women supporting women rather than criticizing one another. What planet is she living on? This is the most divisive time since Salem witch trials. Everyone is on standby to point the finger at someone and call her a Karen or call her ignorant or accuse her of some kind of egregious wrong. I don't see anybody supporting anyone today except when the finger is pointed at someone else and supporting one person is a way to gang up on the other.

by Anonymousreply 121July 31, 2021 7:40 AM

Wedding dress Andrea does nice enough clothes, but it’s the fact she uses plus size models that keeps her in the top. Latina Andrea makes clothes for Jackie Collins readers - You too can dress like Lucky Santangelo! Lucie has a lot of talent but crappy time management skills and didn’t plead her case to stay. Gary better win.

by Anonymousreply 122July 31, 2021 9:56 AM

If Gary doesn’t win they should just cancel this. I don’t see how they won’t give him the win unless he absolutely chokes with his final collection.

by Anonymousreply 123July 31, 2021 10:06 AM

Wedding dress Andrea makes nice enough clothes, except when she doesn't. I would've loved to hear Michael Kors' take on the stuffed Michelin man denim mermaid dress. She's a frock maker (and more power to her), but she serves a narrative.

by Anonymousreply 124July 31, 2021 11:52 AM

Both Andreas have the story and presence that Amazon is looking for: telegenic, accessible designs, successful businesses, very sellable.

Gary is the more talented visionary but awkward guy who unexpectedly became the fan favorite.

I foresee a Gretchen-Mondo finish.

by Anonymousreply 125July 31, 2021 12:59 PM

Some of the latest episode wins on Amazon, like Gary’s coat, don’t have any ratings 🤔

It’s rather kind of sad that Gary on his own could have made a lot of money off that jacket, and now Levi’s and Amazon will. But I guess he’ll get the million anyway.

by Anonymousreply 126July 31, 2021 1:02 PM

This coat from Gary's website is amazing. He is a true designer in every sense of the word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 31, 2021 2:21 PM

r126, it takes a while for them to send the items to people- I think about a month, so patience my dear.

by Anonymousreply 128July 31, 2021 2:55 PM

Given that there were comments on Josh’s shitty kimono right away, R128…

by Anonymousreply 129July 31, 2021 3:05 PM

This dress is very pretty but there are only seven reviews and most of them complain that the fabric is too heavy and stiff and looks unflattering instead of being flowy, as the dress appears in photos.

The show only airs for only a month. There's no ad revenue. The winner gets a million dollars (cash?), and the cast must be well paid because they are so well known. The production of the episodes looks relatively expensive. They brought a carnival to the set!

I'd think the investment must be in selling clothes in bulk given how big Amazon is but the reviews are few and they're mostly very poor, so it can't be clothing sales that return the investment.

All I can think is that the winners (maybe all contestants?) must sell their souls to Amazon and pay them a share for perpetuity or something. Amazon is known to be exploitive and this seems like an expensive series to air for such a brief period and churn out poor-quality clothes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 31, 2021 3:06 PM

Wow, look at the show's terrible merchandise. It's all decidedly un-fashion, the sort of thing you'd get from CafePress.

Amazon is SO rich. I'm amazed they can't present themselves better.

I associate Amazon now with availability of some random products I can't find anywhere else, convenient delivery, exploitation of its employees and fine quality for brand-name products it resells but the worst possible quality for everything it sells under its own brand. Amazon was my go-to store since about 1999, but I buy from it as rarely as possible now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 31, 2021 3:18 PM

Episode 5 was ridiculous… throwing three themes into one ghastly mix and expecting cohesion. [italic]Let’s see an avant-garde denim carnival dress![/italic] (Why not go for broke and toss “Martian” or “martial arts” in there, too?)

it actually would have been hysterical if they gave the designers a last minute twist like that - “Designers, stop what you’re doing. Your accessible garment now must include no less than one pound of flower petals.”

The conception for this was sad and awful.

by Anonymousreply 132July 31, 2021 3:32 PM

Wedding Andrea's poodlepuff dress is exactly what I expect from an avant-garde assignment, and I'm not sure if that's good since avant garde is supposed to be unexpected.

There's a certain kind of over-the-top modular sort of construction that seems to be a go-to crowd pleaser anytime that term is used and she went straight to that type of look: lots of purposeless volume that still shows the figure, and so it tends to be poodle-esque.

But oh well.

The one with the ruffled plastic halo thing affixed to the back was an abomination. I was really surprised that guy was sent home but he deserved to be sent home for that mess.

by Anonymousreply 133July 31, 2021 3:39 PM

[quote] I can easily imagine Michael Kors going in on these designs and saying the models look like homeless hookers taking handouts outside of a Hollywood Blvd TJ Maxx ...

One of Michael Kors' best zingers was: "She looks like a hooker with a heart of gold."

by Anonymousreply 134July 31, 2021 5:05 PM

Michael Kors was mean but his free associatio insults were also endlessly entertaining. Unfortunately, people like Zac Posen and most other fashion show hosts have tried to emulate him and they usually just seem gratuitously cruel and condescending. Kors delivered everything with tongue in cheek and he seemed to be doing it as much for entertainment as anything, giddily so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 31, 2021 5:14 PM

[quote] All I can think is that the winners (maybe all contestants?) must sell their souls to Amazon and pay them a share for perpetuity or something.

I assume Making the Cut is a prestige show for Amazon, a product to pull in more subscribers for Prime Video. I doubt they are expecting to get a return in the form of pure garment sales from the show. I mean let's face it there's no way those clothes are selling that well.

I personally was about to cancel my Prime Video subscription and was lazily browsing through the shows to watch when I noticed the new season of Making the Cut. It was the only reason I decided to stay. Although I'm now anxiously waiting for the final Neongenesis Evangelion movie to premiere in two weeks as well.

by Anonymousreply 136July 31, 2021 5:40 PM

R130, buyers of that dress aren’t reading the description. The outer layer is “floaty” polyester chiffon. The “it’s too thick” under layer is a rayon/linen with a bit of stretch sheath and purposely not see-through (because you know they’d be complaining about that). Rayon/linen looks and feels more like linen than straight rayon.

by Anonymousreply 137July 31, 2021 5:40 PM

BTW, just to remind how much money Amazon is spending on their own content for Prime Video is the outrageous budget for the upcoming Lord of the Rings series. They paid $250M just for the rights and the first season alone has the budget of $465M. Making the Cut costs peanuts compared to that.

by Anonymousreply 138July 31, 2021 5:54 PM

R136 I can't believe anyone would pay the annual fee just to watch a four-week-long Project Runway copy. That's...something.

by Anonymousreply 139July 31, 2021 6:08 PM

R139, Prime Video is billed monthly.

by Anonymousreply 140July 31, 2021 9:14 PM

You can pay yearly, too, R140. I pay my Amazon Prime bill yearly (Prime Video is included with Amazon Prime). I think you save a couple of dollars if you pay yearly. When I first got Amazon Prime, there was no option to go monthly.

by Anonymousreply 141July 31, 2021 9:16 PM

Ah, OK, I have had Amazon Prime since it was introduced. It was originally a once-a-year charge (and always has been for me) that covers all shipping for Amazon purchases, and then one year they randomly announced that it was packaged with streaming video. So I've paid the $99 or whatever each year and have always had Amazon video since it began. I had no idea there's a monthly subscription option.

by Anonymousreply 142July 31, 2021 9:25 PM

On Season 1 the judges told off Esther for wanting to do all black for her collection. It would look horrible online and not show range… Check out Jonny Cota’s offerings on the site, all but one item is black and white. So much for showing range.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 31, 2021 10:04 PM

R143 But didn't Esther add in a color, get reprimanded for it, go back to all black and then win the series?

by Anonymousreply 144July 31, 2021 10:06 PM

Jonny won season 1

by Anonymousreply 145July 31, 2021 10:08 PM

R143 I like his monk hoodie but even though it is overpriced at $185, I wouldn't order it because it's made by Amazon and I have every reason to believe it's cheaply made.

Every garment I ever made the mistake of ordering from Amazon looked good in the photo and was sub-Walmart quality when it arrived in its little gray plastic baggie from Malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 146July 31, 2021 10:09 PM

Really, R145? Wow, I thought Esther won. My memory sucks. All I remember is that they praised her all season while reprimanding her for doing everything in black, and her weird "black is my life" attitude, like her personal integrity was tied up in using a single color.

by Anonymousreply 147July 31, 2021 10:10 PM

I follow Daniel Fletcher from season one. I love his preppy rowing-/rugby-inspired aesthetic, although nothing he has put out stands up to the stripey knit outfits he did on the show IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 31, 2021 10:17 PM

I know. I really thought Esther had it in the bag and then her collection had a bunch of fucking silverware all over it. Wtf? And if memory serves - wasn’t her color yellow? It looked very 🐝 and like washing gloves. OR was that Jonny? Shit! I can’t remember either! Lol

by Anonymousreply 149July 31, 2021 10:22 PM

R149 I don't feel like googling it so drawing from my poor memory, yes, my recollection is that Esther got reprimanded for not using color and the next challenge involved the designers picking weird movie loops to project on a staircase while the models walked down it, and Esther decided to use neon yellow transparent fabric and then was reprimanded for that.

I forgot about the silverware. Her theme was "hungry for life" or something, right? Not good.

by Anonymousreply 150July 31, 2021 10:36 PM

I can’t remember one single designer from Season One.

by Anonymousreply 151July 31, 2021 11:04 PM

Yeah, that fork and spoon and "hungry for life" stuff was a head-scratcher.

If you look on her (Esther's) website, all of her stuff is, indeed, black.

by Anonymousreply 152August 1, 2021 12:05 AM

Why won’t they have the charming Jack Mackenroth from Project Runway be a contestant??

#Censorship

#Homophobia

by Anonymousreply 153August 1, 2021 12:38 AM

And gold, she had some metallic gold dress or jacket with a clear panel and it was an abomination. Her aesthetic is black and gold, Johny’s is black and silver (all his cheapo labor in Bali).

by Anonymousreply 154August 1, 2021 2:57 AM

Jay McCarroll (winner, S1, Project Runway) was one of my all-time favorite contestants. I can't believe I watched Project Runway from Season 1! (2004-05)

Anyway, this was one of my favorite episodes: designing Post Office uniforms.

I hope Jay is doing OK. Not many hits when Googling him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 1, 2021 3:09 AM

R155

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 1, 2021 3:19 AM

I googled and it was Jonny who had the yellow latex gloves. Esther had the silverware and Jonny did the washing up…

From Season 1 - I remember Jonny, Esther, Sander and an Italian guy and…that’s it.

Honestly though, I can’t remember who went home the first couple of episodes THIS season.

by Anonymousreply 157August 1, 2021 3:27 AM

I loved season 1 of PR. Austin was hilarious. Wendy (RIP) turned villain and Jay wanted to strangle his bi polar model Morgan. Throw in sexy Rob with the longish hair who sucked but charmed the judges with his smile and Kara who turned into a raging bitch at the finale and you have great reality tv that never felt forced.

by Anonymousreply 158August 1, 2021 5:44 AM

[quote]I follow Daniel Fletcher from season one. I love his preppy rowing-/rugby-inspired aesthetic

He wasn't on Making the Cut, it was the Netflix show Next in Fashion

by Anonymousreply 159August 1, 2021 5:47 AM

Why not a surgical show, “Making the Cunt” ?

Any takers? I might watch.

by Anonymousreply 160August 1, 2021 5:53 AM

R159 OH! Lol. Then I guess I don't remember season one at all. Wow.

I also follow the cute Belgian finalist and now I have no idea what show he was a finalist on haha

by Anonymousreply 161August 1, 2021 10:19 AM

Tim Gunn on Project Runway: "This is a bunch of crack-smoking judges. And in all seriousness, it handicaps me in the workroom."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 1, 2021 1:23 PM

R161 Sander is the Belgian guy. He was top 3 last season.

by Anonymousreply 163August 1, 2021 1:40 PM

R163 I think he's an adorable little imp.

by Anonymousreply 164August 1, 2021 1:59 PM

He did have a cute personality! I hope he’s doing good - I’ll have to check out his insta.

by Anonymousreply 165August 1, 2021 2:36 PM

He has a great sense of humor about himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 1, 2021 2:40 PM

"What's your relationship with Anna Wintour like now?"

"It's hostile."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 1, 2021 4:35 PM

Tim Gunn is a darling. I wish he were my neighbor or relative : )

by Anonymousreply 168August 1, 2021 4:42 PM

He does not hold back.

So Tim Gunn hates Anna Wintour, hates Isaac Mizrahi and finds Nina Garcia to be a pretentious bore.

I wonder if he actually likes Heidi. I wonder what he thinks about Naomi after working with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 1, 2021 4:56 PM

I love that Tim calls them out for the pretentious assholes and shitty human beings they are.

by Anonymousreply 170August 1, 2021 5:11 PM

"Zac is...Ugh! But I'll take him over Isaac any day! Isaac is Trumpian, all ego! Nina...no disrespect, I don't like hearing about her Hamptons weekend and, 'Oh, we went to such and such restaurant and they wouldn't give us the table we usually have and I just thought, do we go home?' It's that kind of thing."

Kinda shocking to hear him so candidly gossipy but I despise all the qualities he describes, so I can't really blame him. Especially considering that he has always said he was set apart from the judges from the beginning on Project Runway and literally had to sit in a dark corner on the back of the set during the runway and judgings. Why would the producers set up such a fucked up environment?

by Anonymousreply 171August 1, 2021 5:17 PM

I'll watch that video at R169 later. But sounds like Michael Kors is spared.

by Anonymousreply 172August 1, 2021 5:53 PM

R172 He says they missed Michael Kors.

by Anonymousreply 173August 1, 2021 5:54 PM

Here's the full Tim Gunn interview (Really Famous) with Tara Mayer Robinson. It's audio only, so you can listen and multi-task.

Anyway, I'm not done listening (it's long), but he does go in on Heidi Klum a little. Said that her real-life fashion sense is questionable, that maybe she's going through a mid-life crisis. I think he and Heidi do have a good personal & working relationship, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 1, 2021 9:49 PM

"Real life fashion sense"??!! Honey, if her "Professional life fashion sense" is questionable, it shows us how much more of her "real life" sense is absent.

by Anonymousreply 175August 1, 2021 10:07 PM

Season finale this week. Boy that was fast.

by Anonymousreply 176August 3, 2021 4:10 PM

That’s what all the double eliminations were about, I guess?

by Anonymousreply 177August 3, 2021 5:33 PM

I think TPTB know this show is too boring to put out one episode per week and eliminate one contestant at a time. Hence, 2 shows per week, 1-2 eliminations per show.

I'm still watching, though, but fast-forwarding through a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 178August 3, 2021 5:52 PM

I fast forward to the fashion show. The rest is such a snooze

by Anonymousreply 179August 3, 2021 7:33 PM

I like the show's format to a point but I don't understand why they chose to use same kind of silly reality contest tactics as Project Runway like one day contests and such. Give the designers 3 or 4 days to create proper garments. If they were really searching for a next global brand they would give the designers proper way to create. And, yes, at the same time I'm aware pros create constantly to fill their four season collections.

But still. Everything seems so rushed this time. It doesn't help that none of the designers truly stand out. I mean I like the aspie and the wedding dress designer but they could do better.

by Anonymousreply 180August 3, 2021 8:54 PM

Had no idea that Gary showed at Fashion Week for several years. Vogue has the looks. This guy is more and more impressive.

by Anonymousreply 181August 4, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote] I like the show's format to a point but I don't understand why they chose to use same kind of silly reality contest tactics as Project Runway like one day contests and such. Give the designers 3 or 4 days to create proper garments. If they were really searching for a next global brand they would give the designers proper way to create.

On Making the Cut, they get to use seamstresses or sewers. So, that should be a huge help (vs. Project Runway). I do think more time would help, but the time pressure creates drama, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 182August 4, 2021 8:00 PM

Final two episodes are up.

Make it work.

Auf wiener zhane.

by Anonymousreply 183August 6, 2021 1:20 AM

Shocker!

by Anonymousreply 184August 6, 2021 2:36 AM

I thought the 3 collections were actually all pretty strong, and very distinct. This series, though, is about what Amazon can mass produce and sell easily.

by Anonymousreply 185August 6, 2021 2:47 AM

Columbian Andrea has a vision and is a smart businesswoman but she should leave the designing to someone else. Hit or miss.

by Anonymousreply 186August 6, 2021 3:33 AM

Well that wasn’t a huge surprise given the current cultural climate.

by Anonymousreply 187August 6, 2021 4:04 AM

Gary was my favorite. The male judge liked Gary’s stuff the most as well. Male judge got fired up over it.

by Anonymousreply 188August 6, 2021 5:05 AM

The Amazon exec was very excited about Gary’s collection. He’s one of the most complex and interesting designers I’ve seen on any design show. I hope lots of good things happen for him.

by Anonymousreply 189August 6, 2021 5:10 AM

My collection is dedicated to Nellie Oleson is a sentence you probably never thought you'd hear uttered in your life.

Jeremy was OTT about Gary. Just fuck him and get it over with.

by Anonymousreply 190August 6, 2021 5:59 AM

Ewww… not happy with this outcome : (

by Anonymousreply 191August 6, 2021 6:50 AM

I agreed with Jeremy that Gary was not only a designer; he is an artist. He really was the most talented of the three. BTW the friendship between bridal Andrea and Gary seemed very genuine.

by Anonymousreply 192August 6, 2021 8:45 AM

Naomi was missed. I am certain she would have been Team Gary.

by Anonymousreply 193August 6, 2021 11:27 AM

Girl Power!

by Anonymousreply 194August 6, 2021 1:48 PM

It took me til episode 8 to realize there was Ann-dree-a and Awn-dray-a. When Heidi didn’t like Gary’s collection, you knew he’d lost.

by Anonymousreply 195August 6, 2021 1:53 PM

So Amazon is going to sell some of Gary’s pieces anyway. Of course the other Andrea can sell some of her crap on Amazon as well because if she doesn’t Amazon will be accused of discriminating against a Latina.

by Anonymousreply 196August 6, 2021 1:58 PM

Heidi's taste is wack. I think she is going through a midlife crisis.

by Anonymousreply 197August 6, 2021 4:18 PM

Nah, R197, Heidi has always liked short, tight and shiny.

by Anonymousreply 198August 6, 2021 5:32 PM

Andrea's business pitch was strong. I do think she is a better commercial investment, and I like her clothes.

Gary is far more interesting, but unfortunately that means he has a more limited appeal.

I could be wrong, but I feel like this win could be making a deal with a devil. It's a ton of money: a million dollars AND three years rent free....! But Amazon only sells disposable, shoddy trash. So how can that benefit a designer label in the long term?

The majority of customer reviews on the MTC store are "I can't believe how cheap this is!" I can't reconcile the huge prize with the poor investment in manufacturing.

Which brings me to the Amazon Fashion CEO. She asked them to explain how they would guarantee customer satisfaction and then later said she is obsessive about it. Is she in denial, or is she just a cutthroat exec who is lying on air like Kellyanne Conway does? I mean, lady, look at the reviews. They're so poor. And this is the second season of it. You should have learned from the first season not to sell shitty garments and associate them with your brand.

by Anonymousreply 199August 6, 2021 5:56 PM

In the end Gary will come out on top and have the most successful career. Amazon really isn’t the right venue for his clothing.

by Anonymousreply 200August 6, 2021 7:09 PM

No, but he could use the million, R200, and other prizes. It’s not just about Amazon, but Amazon still wants to be able to sell shit and make back money.

by Anonymousreply 201August 6, 2021 8:23 PM

[quote] Jeremy was OTT about Gary. Just fuck him and get it over with.

Scott knows a real designer when he sees one. Him being so passionate about Gary was surprising and very touching. And I totally agree with him. Out of those three Gary was the only haute couture level talent with a true vision and a story to tell with his clothes. And it's not just one story about the Western past but any subject he finds interesting since he showed he's capable of interpreting a story into clothing.

Branded well he could be another Alexander McQueen.

by Anonymousreply 202August 6, 2021 8:29 PM

R201 Gary is hard to read, but he did NOT look happy to me about the whole "you get no money, no free rent, but Amazon wants to exploit your talent for its own profit and make shitty knockoffs of your clothes!" thing.

by Anonymousreply 203August 6, 2021 8:35 PM

I feel like I saw Gary thinking, "Fuck, does my contract obligate me to sell my clothes on their store even if I lost? What did I get myself into?"

by Anonymousreply 204August 6, 2021 8:36 PM

Wouldn’t every designers contract from the show give Amazon the rights to anything they designed while on it?

by Anonymousreply 205August 7, 2021 1:16 AM

It was pretty clear where this would be going, and I'm not too upset about. (But am not going to watch it play out. After the 3 final shows, I came here for the outcome.) I imagine in a few years she'll be back to her bridal salon, and more power to her.

Gary is definitely the most talented. Hopefully he'll be able to maintain some kind of clothes-making career on the back of this exposure.

As to the Amazon exec paying attention to quality--just look at what she's done to her face.

by Anonymousreply 206August 7, 2021 12:00 PM

R174 - Thanks for the link - I listened to this podcast/interview - very informative and entertaining. Tim is very articulate and dished a lot on PR and his life in general. The PR & MTC shows are but a tidbit of TIm as a person and it's worth a listen to those who want to know more about him.

by Anonymousreply 207August 7, 2021 4:02 PM

I worry for Gary. I know he’s an adult and all that, but it must be overwhelming to come that close to winning, and KNOW you were the better designer, and have to go home with nothing. At least he has a partner waiting for him.

When I was little, my mother knew a professional actor who’d done commercials etc., and when I expressed an interest in theater he said, “You have to know there’s always going to be someone more talented than you, there’s always going to be someone better looking than you, usually someone else is going to get the job.”

Maybe all professions are like that for most people… and those that can stick it out have made peace with it. Still, it must be hard to believe in yourself and (at the risk of sounding frau-y) “celebrate” yourself when you also know you’re replaceable. And if fact, disposable.

by Anonymousreply 208August 7, 2021 4:33 PM

I think there is no doubt that Gary was the most talented designer by far. I believe he did not win because his style is closer to couture than (cheap) mass produced RTW.

by Anonymousreply 209August 7, 2021 8:38 PM

He didn't win because he didn't have the narrative, which I think, R208, will be clear to him. It came down to the cultural moment the US and the fashion industry is now in, not to design talent or fashion.

by Anonymousreply 210August 8, 2021 8:59 AM

I can't believe that Jeremy Scott (the Flame w/o a Pilot Light!) is only 46! He looks to be in his early 50's - at least! [S]He looks older and doughy - no matter what costume he wears it won't make him look younger.

by Anonymousreply 211August 8, 2021 10:00 AM

The Columbian's clothing looked cheap- the fabrics were cheap looking and tacky, although at a distance, they read well.

I truly hope that Gary benefits from this, but he really needs a good business manager- artists are seldom canny about that end.

Andrea will do well, she's quite driven.

by Anonymousreply 212August 8, 2021 4:44 PM

[quote]R210 It came down to the cultural moment the US and the fashion industry is now in, not to design talent or fashion.

This sounds vaguely… something.

by Anonymousreply 213August 8, 2021 4:49 PM

I'm not surprised that Jeremy Scott was pressing Heidi and Winnie to vote for Gary. I was never a fan of Jeremy Scott. And he is bitchy. Gary has a unique point of view, but I don't think Pioneer Wear is a global brand. Andrea P had a great finale. I'm glad she won.

by Anonymousreply 214August 10, 2021 7:30 AM

I looked at Gary's collection on Amazon, and it was quite basic. I actually wanted the woven cardigan and cape he has on his models in the promo photos, but it's not there. I wonder if either he held back the design(s) so Amazon doesn't own it, or if they just took the basic stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215August 10, 2021 11:57 AM

There's a cardigan available on his website. Most of his stuff there is sold out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 10, 2021 5:46 PM

Gary always seemed like he was on the verge of spontaneously combusting.

by Anonymousreply 217August 10, 2021 6:04 PM

Who knows how many items (each) Amazon actually produces. If they "sold out," it doesn't really tell you that much.

by Anonymousreply 218August 10, 2021 6:13 PM

I would order via Gary's website vs Amazon. I mean who needs the middle man? He has some nice things on there and yes 99% sold out!! Good for him!

What I really would like is to visit that fabric weaving factory!! So cool!!

by Anonymousreply 219August 10, 2021 6:16 PM

Looking at Gary's stuff on Amazon, they could've picked a more attractive model and told her to smile for a few poses.

by Anonymousreply 220August 10, 2021 6:26 PM

R215 It's really conspicuous that the TV show uses models with a variety of shapes and sizes and showed off a lot of androgynous designs, and the website uses only two dour-looking skinny models and sells only women's clothing. The Amazon Fashion VP definitely is not investing her money where her mouth is.

by Anonymousreply 221August 10, 2021 11:42 PM

Admittedly, a lot of stuff on his website was produced in very limited quantity, like maybe one in each size or even a one-off. That’s due to the fact he uses vintage fabrics. The textile mill for the repro fabrics, that fabric is $$$ per yard.

What I hoped for him from MTC is 1) a big chunk of change to pay off any lasting debt from his shop in NYC, 2) a digital printer so he could reproduce his textile patterns vs using an outside vendor (ie the dress from the first challenge, the rusted car print dress). Or maybe that he could afford to print his textiles using an outside vendor. 3) that he can hire more seamstresses to ramp up quantities. My guess is he has a chronic cash flow problem.

MTC gave him visibility but I don’t think he wants to be in mass production on Amazon or H&M or Uniqlo. He just needs a business partner with Wall St cash who wants to invest but who won’t micromanage. He’s by far the best designer who has been on PR/MTC, better than Christian.

by Anonymousreply 222August 10, 2021 11:44 PM

I don't think Gary would be a good match for Amazon, to be honest. That's why I am surprised that Beauchamp offered to sell some of his stuff at Amazon (done in their subpar sweatshops).

I thought his pitch meeting with Christine Beauchamp did not go well. I think she even flinched a bit when Gary mentioned that he wants to introduce transparency, where the customer knows where exactly the clothes were manufactured.

To me, Gary it too much of a stickler for detail and fabrics to be fully satisfied with how Amazon produces his garments for their online shop. But I believe he got plenty of attention and, as other posters mention, most of his clothes in his online store are sold out which I think is great.

Andrea S.' runway show was ridiculous. I didn't get phenomenon or world-wide phenomenons from that collection at all. It was one Carmen Miranda outfit after the other with those silly South American cowboy hats. Very one note. I thought she had it in the bag the moment she proclaimed to bring a whole new client base, the Latin market, to the table. And her pitch meeting was truly pitch perfect. Even I was impressed.

Andrea P. was probably the best match for Amazon at this point. Her message branding of offering fashion that fits all sizes has mass appeal, no doubt. And her ready to wear fashion can be made on the cheap which I'm sure Amazon loves.

by Anonymousreply 223August 11, 2021 6:02 AM

Weddings are the closest the average woman will get to spending exorbitant amounts of money on one designer outfit. (I detest weddings for this reason: should I use this lump of money as a house down payment? Naaah, I'll use it to start feuds with close family and friends over the coming year as I force them to collaborate on a daylong party I can't afford celebrating ME ME MEEEE!!!)

I'm sure a lot of Millennials and Gen Z brides won't care because their values are different, but there's something really askew to me about the combination of "high-end wedding gown designer" and "exclusive to Amazon." To me, it's like if Vera Wang were sold exclusively at Wal-Mart or Costco. Just so weird.

by Anonymousreply 224August 11, 2021 9:38 AM

Or Halston selling at JC Penny…

by Anonymousreply 225August 11, 2021 12:45 PM

Or Prada selling on...Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 226August 11, 2021 12:50 PM

r174- Thank you! That led me to this stunning interview where he tells an amazing Vivian Vance story followed by the Anna Wintour story. Start at 43:00.

tl;dr- He hates Nina Garcia, Zach Posen, Michael Kors and especially Isaac Mizrahi. Tim has guns for all of them. Funny as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 11, 2021 1:04 PM

The parts I heard claim he doesn't hate-hate Nina Garcia (he just doesn't care for her sharing her tedious stories what she did on holiday) or Michael Kors (he claims he was missed by all of them). And he prefers Zach over Isaac whom he really hates.

by Anonymousreply 228August 11, 2021 2:38 PM

He doesn’t like Zac much but he dislikes Isaac more. I’d be interested to hear his take on the current MTC judges.

by Anonymousreply 229August 11, 2021 2:46 PM

I’m sure a lot of people hate Isaac. He seems like an insufferable, caftan-wearing DLer who’s a cunt just for the sake of being one.

by Anonymousreply 230August 11, 2021 3:13 PM

I can imagine that this alone would have turned Tim against Isaac. Tim seems to have no patience for ignorance.

I, however, find Isaac's appalling lack of elementary knowledge to be mesmerizing.

As George W Bush asked, what IS our children learning?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231August 11, 2021 3:18 PM

Isaac is so 90’s.

by Anonymousreply 232August 11, 2021 4:24 PM

r228, I think the other interview has a few digs at Nina too. And then there was this,

"I am sick of our regular season judges and their attempts to outwit each other and come up with a remark they think is adorable and cute but which is, in fact, piercing and mean-spirited," Gunn told Stuff. "I don't like it. I find it to be very unprofessional and offensive."

"Isaac is Trumpian, he is SO filled with ego, he's the Messiah"

by Anonymousreply 233August 11, 2021 4:35 PM

^This coming from Miss "Make it work!"

by Anonymousreply 234August 11, 2021 6:02 PM

Wow. Gary is so head and shoulders above the other two (and I like both of them). I don't know much about fashion, but it's clear from space who has the most talent.

Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 235August 21, 2021 8:10 AM

My sister knows Gary he’s a doll

by Anonymousreply 236September 16, 2021 6:04 PM

Is Winnie Harlow really a super model??

by Anonymousreply 237September 16, 2021 6:04 PM

Exactly R237, they replaced a true supermodel with Winnie Harlow.

by Anonymousreply 238September 16, 2021 8:07 PM

And Gary loses to sequins and other bullshit

by Anonymousreply 239September 19, 2021 8:36 PM

Maybe a blessing in disguise for Gary. Who knows what type of contract he would be stuck with if he had won the contest.

by Anonymousreply 240September 19, 2021 8:50 PM

Exactly. He got a nice publicity boost. Would a free pop up shop in LA benefit him? His style is East coast, not California.

by Anonymousreply 241September 19, 2021 9:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!