Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Worst Filler Shows in the NBC "Must See TV" Thursday Night Line-Up

I know variations of this thread have been done many times, but I just stumbled across this promo on IMDB for 'Hope & Gloria'. It ran for x1 season on Thursday nights before being moved to Sunday nights for S2 and being cancelled shortly afterwards. The synopsis is equally as cringe-y as the promo:

"Hope is a producer of a local TV show whose cheating husband left her after 10 years. Gloria is a street wise single mother who works as a hairdresser. The two, with Gloria's son Buddy, share the ups and downs of their complicated but humorous lives."

Of course 'Caroline in the City', 'The Single Guy', and 'Suddenly Susan' win for the worst offenders, but there were plenty of other short-lived shows like 'Hope & Gloria' that NBC gifted with a plum, Thursday night spot before being carted off to die on another night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245July 21, 2021 6:54 PM

I liked “Suddenly Susan” I didn’t realize the network considered it fodder.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2021 9:38 AM

I watched all these garbage shows. I’d be interested to see how Veronica’s Closet holds up. The worst one was Good Morning Miami which was the first indication we had that Mutchnick and Kohan were a one-hit wonder with Will and Grace.

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2021 9:42 AM

Wasn’t there a show called Union Square Cafe or something similar that lasted a couple years and was beyond terrible?

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2021 10:11 AM

Nurses

Coupling

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2021 10:11 AM

Don’t forget my show! Kirstie

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2021 10:14 AM

I saw Hope & Gloria on either syndication or reruns, it wasn't great but I really liked Jessica Lundy and the whole thing reminded me of Kate & Allie which I loved as a kid. I believe Lisa Kudrow played Phoebe on Hope & Gloria but I don't remember the reasoning behind that crossover.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2021 10:25 AM

I think Cursed/The Weber Show was one of these shows. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2021 10:29 AM

“Jesse” with Christina Applegate

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2021 11:11 AM

“Everybody wants a girl like Susan…”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2021 11:16 AM

"Good Morning Miami" had Mark Feuerstein, who was looking really cute back then.

by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2021 11:32 AM

Friends. They plopped it before Seinfeld to give it ratings.

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2021 11:51 AM

Sad Suddenly Susan. It was the needy girl always chasing approval. So formulaic. So forced.

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2021 12:26 PM

I hated the one with Jonathan Silverman, but I loved that his character had a framed poster from the Lincoln Center production of The Threepenny Opera in his living room.

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2021 12:53 PM

Hope and Gloria wasn’t bad. Suddenly Susan had appealing supporting characters. The Single Guy was just awful.

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2021 1:53 PM

Wow, I don't even remember Hope and Gloria but fuck that intro at r9 is embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2021 1:53 PM

Let’s face it, Thursday night was only ever a thing because of Cosby.

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2021 1:56 PM

R16, Must See TV had dynamite ratings for a decade after that serial rapist left the air. And even before everything came out, Seinfeld and Friends had massively eclipsed The Cosby Show in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2021 2:50 PM

[quote]Coupling

I will never forget seeing that cast interviewed shortly before the premiere and how smug they all were, like they just KNEW this show was going to be a ratings smash that would run for 10 years and win Emmys for all involved. Guess things didn't go exactly as they expected.

by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2021 2:58 PM

Hope & Glory

Piss & Shit

by Anonymousreply 19July 17, 2021 3:00 PM

R17: Not really, no. [italic]Seinfeld[/italic] is tainted by Michael Richards’ racism, and [italic]Friends[/italic] was pure dreck from start to finish kept alive only by the corporate decrees of a dying movie studio that also enabled Kirk Cameron’s career in a [italic]Cosby Show[/italic] ripoff and who has been bounced from owner to owner since the turn of the century.

by Anonymousreply 20July 17, 2021 3:08 PM

How did "Hope & Faith" run 3 seasons and I never managed to catch one single episode?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 17, 2021 3:09 PM

[italic]Family Ties[/italic], [italic]Cheers[/italic], and [italic]Night Court[/italic] couldn’t even get better ratings than [italic]Webster[/italic] in their pre-Cosby seasons.

by Anonymousreply 22July 17, 2021 3:11 PM

Boston Common.

by Anonymousreply 23July 17, 2021 3:13 PM

In the thread about the worst TV theme songs, somebody posted one from a late Tartikoff-era Thursday night flop called [italic]Grand[/italic], which looked anything but.

by Anonymousreply 24July 17, 2021 3:14 PM

[quote]Family Ties, Cheers, and Night Court couldn’t even get better ratings than Webster in their pre-Cosby seasons.

R22, exactly. It's not a defense of Bill Cosby in any way, shape or form to acknowledge reality: he alone was to thank for creating "Must See TV" on Thursday nights on NBC, period. Nothing, no matter what horrible things he's done otherwise, will ever change that fact.

Until "The Cosby Show" premiered in 1984, Thursday nights were a disaster for NBC. "Fame," "Hill Street Blues," "Family Ties" and many other well-known shows that had aired that night were either canceled or near-canceled until "Cosby Show" came along and saved the entire evening. Yes, it continued for several more years after "Cosby" was over with shows like "Seinfeld" and "Friends" but you cannot rewrite history just because we would later find out Cosby was a serial predator. He made NBC Thursday nights and that will always be an indisputable fact whether some (like R17) want to admit it or not.

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2021 3:37 PM

It was on cable access, but surely that sad Damages show with what's her name would qualify.

by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2021 3:57 PM

Just Shoot Me always seemed like a filler show.

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2021 4:00 PM

Anything with Jonathan Silverman. How many failed sitcoms was he on?

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2021 4:03 PM

Kath & Kim with Molly Shannon and Selma Blair was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2021 4:10 PM

How did Margaux from [italic]Punky Brewster[/italic] manage to be the less racist one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 17, 2021 4:18 PM

[quote] Anything with Jonathan Silverman. How many failed sitcoms was he on?

They put him on [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] around the time of Dolph Sweet's death which left him with little to nothing to do on the show except get Julie pregnant. It seems like everything after that was trying to make up for how that didn't quite go as planned. That wasn't his fault. As they used to say on TV, "medical science has only come so far."

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2021 4:20 PM

Indebted.

by Anonymousreply 32July 17, 2021 4:35 PM

[quote]Seinfeld is tainted by Michael Richards’ racism

It was already tainted by Kramer's utter annoyingness every time he shuffled into Jerry's apartment and the audience cheered.

by Anonymousreply 33July 17, 2021 4:37 PM

[quote] Let’s face it, Thursday night was only ever a thing because of Cosby.

r16=Phylicia Rashad

by Anonymousreply 34July 17, 2021 4:42 PM

I don't know if they were the very worst, but I absolutely hated Dear John and Wings.

by Anonymousreply 35July 17, 2021 4:46 PM

[italic]Dear John[/italic] couldn’t possibly have been worse than that awful show Tony Danza was doing on ABC concurrently. That show was so bad it was basically the [italic]Friends[/italic] of the 1980s in terms of the gap between ratings and quality.

[italic]Wings[/italic] was just boring. I can’t believe they got seven seasons out of that mess. And Thomas Haden Church enabled Mebra Dessing to have a career.

by Anonymousreply 36July 17, 2021 4:50 PM

1988 - 1998 was the apex of my NYC social life so I missed an era of Must See TV. I caught Seinfeld in reruns.

Thank god TV programming has changed and we’re no longer dependent on formulaic weekly episodes.

by Anonymousreply 37July 17, 2021 4:56 PM

Let me tell you about Mebra Dessing.

by Anonymousreply 38July 17, 2021 4:58 PM

Fired Up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 17, 2021 5:02 PM

R13 I thought the Threepenny Opera poster was used in Mad About You! I always wanted one and remember seeing it in a sit com, but I have no recollection of The Single Guy

by Anonymousreply 40July 17, 2021 5:14 PM

I hope he does so leftists cannot use that as an excuse for the Cuban government’s cruelty to their people.

by Anonymousreply 41July 17, 2021 5:22 PM

r40, scroll down to see and read about Paul Davis' poster for The Threepenny Opera, which was used on The Single Guy.

[quote]Paul’s iconic poster for the Public Theater production of Three Penny Opera is on the wall of Jonathan Eliot’s apartment in the NBC sitcom The Single Guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 17, 2021 5:31 PM

My vote goes to “Jesse”. Not even Christina Applegate and the super hot Bruno Campos could save this one. I remember being annoyed at the time that the actor playing the mute brother was probably making millions of dollars a year to show up and literally just sit there without even having to say a word. They retooled the show completely for season 2 but it was beyond saving.

Speaking of Bruno Campos, he apparently quit acting several years ago and is a lawyer at a big NYC firm now.

by Anonymousreply 43July 17, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] Let me tell you about Mebra Dessing.

Forget her, what about me? I was supposed to be the next Jane Pauley, but that backstabbing golddigging bitch Katie Couric had other plans.

by Anonymousreply 44July 17, 2021 5:35 PM

Neborah Dorville was never going to be big. She was the Marla Maples of morning TV. She does corporate videos now.

by Anonymousreply 45July 17, 2021 5:43 PM

[quote] Neborah Dorville was never going to be big. She was the Marla Maples of morning TV. She does corporate videos now.

R45, Deborah Norville has been the anchor of the TV show Inside Edition, since 1995. She is also on the board of directors ViacomCBS.

by Anonymousreply 46July 17, 2021 5:52 PM

"The Naked Truth" with breakout star Téa Leoni and Holland Taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 17, 2021 5:52 PM

[quote] They put him on Gimme A Break! around the time of Dolph Sweet's death which left him with little to nothing to do on the show except get Julie pregnant. It seems like everything after that was trying to make up for how that didn't quite go as planned. That wasn't his fault. As they used to say on TV, "medical science has only come so far."

He got a lot of buzz for Brighton Beach Memoirs and a lot of film work. When his movie career flopped. He got tv roles again.

by Anonymousreply 48July 17, 2021 5:52 PM

R47 and others, the thread is for nbc Thursday night duds.

by Anonymousreply 49July 17, 2021 5:54 PM

Scrubs was pretty bad, Zach Braff's mugging could make anyone long for Jonathan Silverman and Becky #2 was a bore. I didn't mind Jesse in the first season when she worked in the restaurant with George Dzundza as her father. The show was still ranked #12 in the Nielsens when they canceled it after season 2

by Anonymousreply 50July 17, 2021 6:00 PM

Cosby might have first made Thursday nights on NBC big in the eighties but by the time it became Must See TV in the 90s, NBC had completely abandoned the family sitcom that Cosby did. It instead became dominated by the Cheers and Night Court type comedies built around friends or co-workers, not domesticity. Which gave rise to Seinfeld and Friends, even Mad About You and Frasier weren’t really “domestic” sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 51July 17, 2021 6:01 PM

I watched Caroline in the City because I thought Malcom Gets was hot.

by Anonymousreply 52July 17, 2021 6:06 PM

R49, The Naked Truth aired on NBC after Seinfeld for 2 seasons and finished #74 in the ratings. Is that not a dud?

by Anonymousreply 53July 17, 2021 6:17 PM

I only watched The Single Guy once, and I remember:

A. Being surprised to see Olivia D'Abo was on it

B. A fake commercial that featured in the plot, that I still find myself singing occasionally

If you like butter

You'll like butter better

Brindle's Better Butter in a Can

Ooh-la-la

At least that is how I sing it, not sure if it is correct - that was a long time ago

by Anonymousreply 54July 17, 2021 6:19 PM

"Men Behaving Badly" with DL fave Ron Eldard and Rob Schneider.

by Anonymousreply 55July 17, 2021 6:30 PM

And DL fave Justine Bateman.

by Anonymousreply 56July 17, 2021 6:39 PM

[Italic]We Got it Made [/italic] was on Thursday nights the year before Cosby. A truly dismal show despite the fact that the male leads were very good looking. Perhaps they should’ve been lovers and the show wouldn’t have sucked as much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 17, 2021 6:46 PM

Ah, yes, Hope and Gloria, starring DL Push Actor queen Cynthia Stevenson.

by Anonymousreply 58July 17, 2021 6:51 PM

r53, The Naked Truth only aired behind Seinfeld for three months (when The Single Guy was finally kicked to Wednesday and they moved Suddenly Susan after Friends; after three months--because they only ordered 13 episodes for the first NBC season--it was replaced by Fired Up). It was #4 that season. The next season they moved it to Monday with Susan, Caroline and Fired, and it immediately tanked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 17, 2021 6:58 PM

Most of the episodes of The Naked Truth--which was definitely a filler show--are on Youtube. I tried watching a couple and it was dire. I did enjoy this interview with Amy Hill, who joined it in the final season, at The AV Club. Sounds like it was a nightmare. ------------- "The other bad experience I had was working on the last season of The Naked Truth with Téa Leoni. She hated the show and wanted to be off the show and, for the whole season, tried every way to be fired. So every episode, rehearsing was hell, and taping was hell. One of the actors actually kicked a writer during the taping and was fired, and I had to do the rest of his lines for the rest of the episode. It was crazy.

My character was a tabloid photographer, and [Princess] Diana was killed before we started shooting, so my character couldn’t be my character anymore. So I’m a tabloid photographer one day, and the next day, they said, “We think your character’s more like a Roseanne Barr character that lives in Beverly Hills.” It was like, “What are you talking about?” It made no sense. Nobody knew what to do with me because my character couldn’t be my character.

AVC: But you were on the show, and so they had to use you somehow.

AH: I had to be there because they had to pay me anyway. Those are my contracts. So they said, “We’ll just keep her there.”

The showrunner would say to me almost every day, “You’re funnier in a lower register.” He wanted me to talk in a deep voice the whole season. I just lost it, probably around episode 20. I said, “Don’t talk to me anymore. I’ll talk however I feel like talking.”

AVC: That also seems like something that they wouldn’t necessarily have told a man.

AH: That character was actually supposed to be a guy, but they cast me. At the network audition, it was me and LL Cool J, I think, and we were both up for that part, but it was written as “a Danny DeVito type.” So they said, “Let’s bring Amy Hill in.”

AVC: That makes no sense.

AH: I obviously look nothing like Danny DeVito.

AVC: Neither does LL Cool J.

AH: No. But I made a lot of money, so it’s okay. -------------------------- (For those who haven't heard that story, the writer who was kicked was Matthew Weiner, of future Mad Men fame.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 17, 2021 7:02 PM

Experience the awfulness:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 17, 2021 7:04 PM

R60: I loved her as the grandma in Margaret Cho's [italic]All-American Girl[/italic] and I quit watching after they pushed the rest of the family to the side. It's a shame she was wasted in that terrible Mike Myers movie.

by Anonymousreply 62July 17, 2021 7:06 PM

Wait, Kelly Ripa wasn’t in this?

by Anonymousreply 63July 17, 2021 7:11 PM

for r3, Yes, Union Square was the Friends clone they attempted in the Fall of 1997. Some good actors--Harriet Sansom Harris! Jonathan Slavin!--but the show was a mess. The problem was it was originally written for one actress, who they decided didn't work, so they replaced her with Constance Marie, who is likeable, but whose character had no personality. (The original actress and character had a personality, even if it was an annoying one.) Surround her with a bunch of bland characters who had no personalities--or who depended on the actors' personas to provide one--and the show had no direction, point of view, or laughs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 17, 2021 7:13 PM

Original Union Square pilot with the original actress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 17, 2021 7:14 PM

"The Single Guy" was pretty awesome in terms of how unfunny it was. The scripts had all the beats of a successful sitcom at the time (like "Friends" or "Mad About You"), but the jokes were unfunny and the actors were unappealing.

It always reminded me of that SNL sketch about Joey and Cindy Adams, where Phil Hartman as Joey keeps telling jokes in the rhythm of a Borscht Belt comedian but the punch lines make absolutely no sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 17, 2021 7:14 PM

r24, have to disagree. I loved that Grand theme song. I just realized I still know all the lyrics 30+ years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 17, 2021 7:16 PM

When they lost some cast members between seasons, they didn't bother reshooting it with the remaining cast and replaced it with a much more generic opening. Nowhere near as good as the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 17, 2021 7:17 PM

Another terrible Suddenly Susan opening. I forgot about those cutesy intro lines ("Say hello to;" "Welcome back;" "Who can forget"...) And why are they giants?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 17, 2021 7:21 PM

I bought an off-air set of DVDs of "Grand" last year and watched most of the first season, I intend to watch the rest at some point. The theme song is the best thing about the show, but it mostly holds up. It's surprisingly not comedic a lot, especially Pamela Reed's character. It's in a weird middle space - it's trying to be an ambitious show but it's also a Carsey-Werner NBC sitcom with the laugh track and the brightly lit multi-cam look. A lot of horny old man jokes that would probably not be warmly received. I was 15 when it aired and remember thinking it was very adult and sophisticated and I'm sure I watched it but none of it rings any bells watching it again.

by Anonymousreply 70July 17, 2021 7:23 PM

[italic]Friends[/italic] was and Is crap so why would a knockoff of it be any better?

by Anonymousreply 71July 17, 2021 7:27 PM

I don't think anyone's mentioned Inside Schwartz. It was on after Friends in the fall of 2001, when Friends was the #1 show on TV, yet Inside Schwartz ranked #16, which is dire. A single guy whose life is commented on by sportscasters. Also dire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 17, 2021 7:28 PM

I actually liked Caroline and the City and it wasn't just because I got to have sex with Malcom Gets in the parking lot behind Carny's on Sunset when I was a twinkling. I also always wanted one of those old TV set fish tanks that Caroline had.

by Anonymousreply 73July 17, 2021 7:29 PM

Aww, r35, I liked Dear John.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 17, 2021 7:29 PM

Ugh. Veronica's Closet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 17, 2021 7:36 PM

Seriously, why were these opening credits so terrible during this time period?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 17, 2021 7:37 PM

Anybody who thinks "Seinfeld" is forever tainted because of Michael Richards' tirade is living in a woke dream world.

Most of the world has forgotten about it. Only the most die hard SJWs still work up a hard-on over it.

by Anonymousreply 77July 17, 2021 7:37 PM

WHET Mel Gorham? She was talented.

by Anonymousreply 78July 17, 2021 7:38 PM

[quote] I don't think anyone's mentioned Inside Schwartz. It was on after Friends in the fall of 2001, when Friends was the #1 show on TV

Which is why it is not a coincidence that that is also the same year terrorists destroyed the World Trade Center, damaged the Pentagon, and tried to go after the White House.

[quote] Seriously, why were these opening credits so terrible during this time period?

Because [italic]Friends[/italic] lowered the bar for everything.

by Anonymousreply 79July 17, 2021 7:38 PM

I loved the Fired Up episode where they pay homage to Mission Impossible, r39. Sharon WAS Barbara Bain! And what's not to love about her Heat Wave?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 17, 2021 7:42 PM

Why'd they kill off Ron Silver?

by Anonymousreply 81July 17, 2021 7:43 PM

I guess you could say they polished him off.

by Anonymousreply 82July 17, 2021 7:44 PM

It's kind of amazing how many shitty shows they threw on Thursday trying to make them work, when the better shows that did last were launched on other nights and then made the move to Thursday. When they were wasting real estate on Thursday with Jesse and Veronica's Closet, Will & Grace was being launched in the dead-end Monday night lineup (before making it to Tuesday, then finally to Thursday). During the 96-97 season when they were throwing Susan, Naked, and Fired Up on after Seinfeld, they launched Just Shoot Me in the dead-end Wednesday night lineup. It soon made the move to Tuesday, then Thursday, and lasted 7 seasons. (I recently watched JSM on Hulu and found the first few seasons held up. It did start to lose steam in the middle seasons, and was running on fumes at the end. Wendie Malick was still brilliant.)

by Anonymousreply 83July 17, 2021 7:50 PM

All these shows' ratings started to decline when [italic]Seinfeld[/italic] was canceled. By this point, cable had taken a sizable chunk of network TV's audience away and DVD would continue to take more of it, too.

[italic]Will & Grace[/italic] was everything wrong with [italic]Friends[/italic] with a pink coat of paint over it. I couldn't stomach 10 minutes of a single episode of either. Shame on you, America, for not turning your backs on these shows and watching more intellectually stimulating fare like [italic]The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 84July 17, 2021 7:53 PM

It's amazing that NBC had such a good rep when its good/decent Thursday shows was a relatively short list: Cosby, Cheers, Family Ties, Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld (and perhaps a Different World).

So many others were either very off the wall/artsy (My favorite, Days and Nights of Molly Dodd, Grand) or just terrible, mostly because they were trying to copy whatever the show du jour was of the day (just about every other one on the list).

by Anonymousreply 85July 17, 2021 7:56 PM

R84 I love that you mentioned Molly, too!

by Anonymousreply 86July 17, 2021 7:57 PM

R85: That list should stop at [italic]Family Ties[/italic].

The 1990s shows were overrated as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 87July 17, 2021 7:58 PM

r84, considering Molly Dodd left NBC in 1988, 6 years before Friends debuted and 10 years before Will and Grace, viewers turning their back on the latter would have required a time machine to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 88July 17, 2021 7:59 PM

The smartest thing [italic]A Different World[/italic] did was cut the umbilical cord with [italic]Cosby Show[/italic] after the first season.

by Anonymousreply 89July 17, 2021 7:59 PM

I once made a list of all the Thursday night also-rans for something I was writing. For reference, between 1988 and 2004 when “The Apprentice” premiered and sitcoms on Thursday were no longer a thing:

Nick and Hillary, Grand, Rhythm and Blues, Hope and Gloria, Madman of the People, The Single Guy, Boston Common, Caroline In The City, Men Behaving Badly, Suddenly Susan, The Naked Truth, Fired Up!, Union Square, Veronica’s Closet, Jesse, Daddio, Stark Raving Mad, Battery Park, Cursed, Three Sisters, Inside Schwartz, Leap Of Faith, Good Morning Miami, Come To Papa, Coupling

Some of those I have absolutely no earthly recollection of. I may have missed one or two.

by Anonymousreply 90July 17, 2021 8:00 PM

R88: Imagine what the 1990s could have been had viewers given less conventional shows like MD a chance.

by Anonymousreply 91July 17, 2021 8:00 PM

Seinfeld was not "canceled," a term that suggests the network made the decision to take the show off the air.

by Anonymousreply 92July 17, 2021 8:02 PM

[quote]Stark Raving Mad,

That was the one with NPH and Tony Shalhoub--right?

by Anonymousreply 93July 17, 2021 8:07 PM

[quote]Wait, Kelly Ripa wasn’t in this?

She was in "Hope and Faith," with Faith Ford. It was on ABC, not NBC.

by Anonymousreply 94July 17, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote]I once made a list of all the Thursday night also-rans for something I was writing. For reference, between 1988 and 2004 when “The Apprentice” premiered and sitcoms on Thursday were no longer a thing: Nick and Hillary, Grand, Rhythm and Blues, Hope and Gloria, Madman of the People, The Single Guy, Boston Common, Caroline In The City, Men Behaving Badly, Suddenly Susan, The Naked Truth, Fired Up!, Union Square, Veronica’s Closet, Jesse, Daddio, Stark Raving Mad, Battery Park, Cursed, Three Sisters, Inside Schwartz, Leap Of Faith, Good Morning Miami, Come To Papa, Coupling Some of those I have absolutely no earthly recollection of. I may have missed one or two.

[italic]Friends[/italic] and [italic]Will & Grace[/italic] were among the worst programs in the entire history of television, so it's not hard to see why these other shows failed. They weren't as popular as the network wanted people to believe if they were not successful enough to launch other successful shows on either side of them. [italic]The Golden Girls[/italic] did this with [italic]227, Amen[/italic], and [italic]Empty Nest[/italic] and tried to do it with [italic]Nurses[/italic] right before that CBS hotel thing. The difference that GG actually deserves the popularity and accolades it received. It is the culmination of everything Disney and NBC did to pull themselves out of the respective holes they dug for themselves in the previous decade combined with all the lessons Witt-Thomas-Harris learned from four years of [italic]Soap[/italic] and seven years of [italic]Benson[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 95July 17, 2021 8:11 PM

It's pretty ridiculous to name Friends and Will and Grace as two of the worst shows ever when this thread lists well over a dozen shows that were immeasurably worse.

by Anonymousreply 96July 17, 2021 8:12 PM

No, R96, they didn't. They mentioned bad shows that still weren't as bad, and they failed because you had to watch those two stink bombs to see them.

by Anonymousreply 97July 17, 2021 8:15 PM

"Seinfeld was not "canceled,"

Indeed. Seinfeld pulled the plug himself. NBC brass would have creamed themselves in delight if Jerry would have done even one more season.

by Anonymousreply 98July 17, 2021 8:15 PM

This thread pretty much proves that Must-See TV was the biggest snow job in TV history since [italic]Frosty the Snowman[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 99July 17, 2021 8:16 PM

93, Yep. It wasn't terrible. Probably deserved another season, more than most of these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 17, 2021 8:18 PM

Between the end of [italic]Sanford and Son[/italic] and the beginning of [italic]Cheers[/italic], NBC had no hit sitcoms other than [italic]Diff'rent Strokes, the Facts of Life[/italic], and [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic] None. And believe it or not, and who wouldn't, they had shows that were bigger bombs than [italic]Hello, Larry[/italic].

DS and GAB! were the beginning of Thursday night being a sitcom night for NBC. The two other shows on that night were bombs: [italic]Harper Valley PTA[/italic] and [italic]Lewis and Clark[/italic]. The latter show was suspiciously similar to ABC's [italic]Best of the West[/italic], also on Thursday at 8:30, which also only ran a year, while its two stars got cast on [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic] and [italic]Voyagers![/italic] the following season. One lasted longer than the other even with [italic]60 Minutes[/italic] as competition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 17, 2021 8:25 PM

Another addendum to the [italic]Best of the West[/italic] cast ending up on NBC shows: Leonard Frey ended up in [italic]Mr. Smith[/italic], a Friday night bomb that lost to [italic]The Dukes of Hazzard[/italic] and [italic]Benson[/italic]. The star of the show was an orangutan who was apparently smarter than any of the scripts.

by Anonymousreply 102July 17, 2021 8:30 PM

The Naked Truth is such a weird case. It was a funny sitcom about sleazy tabloid reporters (Holland Taylor was the editor in chief) who irritated the fuck out of celebrities, and it was canceled by ABC after one season. NBC immediately picked it up and purposely made it into an unfunny, generic workplace sitcom. They had it take place at a respectable magazine with George Wendt as the publisher. A typical episode on ABC would have Betty White pushing Tea Leoni out of a moving car, and during the NBC run, a typical episode would have Leoni...adopting a kitten. Must See TV, indeed!

by Anonymousreply 103July 17, 2021 8:39 PM

r103

why did they purposely made it into an unfunny, generic workplace sitcom?

by Anonymousreply 104July 17, 2021 8:40 PM

I'm not R103, but my guess would be that they wanted to soften up Tea Leoni and make her more of an appealing "everywoman" type.

by Anonymousreply 105July 17, 2021 8:41 PM

For what it's worth, some NBC sitcoms did pretty well for themselves outside of Thursday nights. Frasier, Wings, Mad About You and Caroline in the City, at one time or another, held their own pretty respectably on Tuesdays. If your sitcom aired on Wednesdays, Sundays or especially Mondays, then you were fucked.

by Anonymousreply 106July 17, 2021 8:44 PM

Princess Di's death was probably also the death knell for any show that looked at tabloids in a humorous light, R105.

by Anonymousreply 107July 17, 2021 8:45 PM

How long would [italic]Frasier[/italic] have lasted had it not been a [italic]Cheers[/italic] spinoff?

The first [italic]Cheers[/italic] spinoff, [italic]The Tortellis[/italic], was a flop. It was no [italic]Cheers[/italic] but it wasn't as bad as [italic]Wings[/italic], honestly. For some reason, NBC didn't actually air it after the parent show and instead aired it after the dying [italic]Gimme A Break![/italic], while one of the two shows they actually tried airing after [italic]Cheers[/italic] that season, [italic]Nothing in Common[/italic], was an even bigger bomb. The other was [italic]The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd[/italic]. The producers of that show had also made [italic]Buffalo Bill[/italic], one of the better examples of "the ones that got away."

by Anonymousreply 108July 17, 2021 8:52 PM

Yup, Amy Hill even alluded to that. I suppose they could have had Tea and company working for an E!-type network, but still, it would have been a rough season or two ...

by Anonymousreply 109July 17, 2021 8:53 PM

Regarding GRAND, I get the impression that NBC at the time would have greenlit anything Carsey-Werner had to offer. It was more a case of offering anything rather than something (even if the theme is nice). Also, let's hear it for Pamela Reed, who had one hell of a 1990, with Grand, Cadillac Man, her voice work in The Civil War and Kindergarten Cop. She's still working, but talk about a period of briefly ruling the world.

by Anonymousreply 110July 17, 2021 8:56 PM

Was Carla on The Tortellinis? They let her back on Cheers after her show flopped? Usually people who leave for spinoffs can’t come back.

by Anonymousreply 111July 17, 2021 8:57 PM

She was not. That was the biggest problem with the show. Shelley Long would not have done a spinoff for any amount of money, and they didn't want to remove any of the other core characters from the bar. So who was left?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 17, 2021 8:58 PM

[quote]Usually people who leave for spinoffs can’t come back.

Not always.

by Anonymousreply 113July 17, 2021 8:59 PM

[quote]For what it's worth, some NBC sitcoms did pretty well for themselves outside of Thursday nights. Frasier, Wings, Mad About You and Caroline in the City, at one time or another, held their own pretty respectably on Tuesdays. If your sitcom aired on Wednesdays, Sundays or especially Mondays, then you were fucked.

True, and as big a show as "Friends" was, I think it was telling that NBC was never willing to risk moving it away from Thursday nights. If it was such a huge hit loved by all of America, why not use it as a launching pad for another night? The answer I'm sure was that, had they done so and its ratings slipped even a tenth, it would've been a huge embarrassment both for the show and the network, not to mention exposed that it was dependent all along on other Thursday shows like "Seinfeld" to hold it up. Clearly NBC did not want to take that chance.

by Anonymousreply 114July 17, 2021 9:03 PM

They didn't do that for [italic]The Cosby Show[/italic] either.

by Anonymousreply 115July 17, 2021 9:04 PM

Hot, R73! How did you meet him and was the show still on the air at that time?

by Anonymousreply 116July 17, 2021 9:04 PM

And is Malcolm packing?

by Anonymousreply 117July 17, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote]Seriously, why were these opening credits so terrible during this time period?

IIRC, NBC was eventually the cause of theme songs getting dropped from TV shows altogether. They were the first to realize that dropping station breaks and theme songs -- and having one show move right into the next with no break in between -- was how you could hold on to an audience because it gave them no time to change the channel. Realizing this little trick was working for their rival, all the other networks eventually followed suit and the TV theme song became a thing of the past.

If that's not exactly true, anyone who knows better please feel free to jump in and correct the record.

by Anonymousreply 118July 17, 2021 9:14 PM

Oh, FFS r114. Friends continued for SIX years after Seinfeld left the air and propped up the entire night. Get over it. Friends was television's last biggest hit. There have been other hits, but they haven't reached that height, for that long.

NBC had 18 sitcoms on the air at one point - maybe 1997? 4 MTWT, and Sundays at 8. Mindboggling.

by Anonymousreply 119July 17, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote]That list should stop at Family Ties. The 1990s shows were overrated as fuck.

Even though its run was primarily in the '90s, I think technically "Seinfeld" belongs in the '80s category because it started in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 120July 17, 2021 9:19 PM

[quote]True, and as big a show as "Friends" was, I think it was telling that NBC was never willing to risk moving it away from Thursday nights. If it was such a huge hit loved by all of America, why not use it as a launching pad for another night? The answer I'm sure was that, had they done so and its ratings slipped even a tenth, it would've been a huge embarrassment both for the show and the network, not to mention exposed that it was dependent all along on other Thursday shows like "Seinfeld" to hold it up. Clearly NBC did not want to take that chance.

NBC spent the 1990s forgetting every lesson from the 1970s and 1980s. That is why they let new media take audiences away from them. They no longer had to settle for mass-marketed overhyped pandering crap. Out-of-the-box shows like [italic]Hill Street Blues[/italic] and [italic]St. Elsewhere[/italic] would be on Netflix or Hulu today.

R119: The last biggest hit of television? That's delusional! [italic]Family Guy? SpongeBob Squarepants? Mad Men? Breaking Bad? Game of Thrones? The Office? 30 Rock?[/italic] All of those are better than [italic]Friends[/italic] and will be watched when that show is forgotten. Television isn't dead. It's the traditional three-network broadcast paradigm that's ancient history. Popularity isn't quality.

by Anonymousreply 121July 17, 2021 9:20 PM

[italic]Star Trek[/italic] struggled in the ratings all the years it was on NBC and was almost canceled after season 2. It is now an American icon.

by Anonymousreply 122July 17, 2021 9:24 PM

R119, YOU get over it. Nobody's saying that "Friends" was not a legitimate hit. I'm saying when it first started and was sandwiched between two other hits on Thursdays on NBC, "Mad About You" and "Seinfeld," that was a nice little cushion that propped up the show for the next FIVE years until "Seinfeld" went off the air. By that time and after years and years of high ratings and over-the-top PR, of course "Friends" was able to fly just fine on its own and pull other shows along with it. But that still does not negate the point that NBC was never willing to risk moving it away from Thursday nights to see how it fared on another night. That's not trying to take anything away from the show, it's just clearly a fact because they never did it even while kicking other Thursday night shows out to fly on their own (and many of them did not do so well as a result, "Mad About You" among them, when it was moved to Sunday nights).

by Anonymousreply 123July 17, 2021 9:27 PM

r114, that's inane. The reason they didn't move Friends was because Thursday was the most profitable night of the week (due to movie weekend advertising) and NBC needed it to be strong. There's a reason why CBS went after it with Survivor and CSI in the early 2000s, and ABC with Grey's in the late 2000s. NBC had three of the biggest shows on TV with Friends-Seinfeld-ER during the late 90s on the night when they could make the most money; risking that to...what, shore up the weaker Monday or Wednesday night lineups where there was less money to be made? That makes no sense, especially when the network really struggled between the time Cosby left the timeslot and Friends was moved there in 1995? (A Different World flopped and was moved by midseason. In 1993, Mad About You had the timeslot and didn't even make the top 25. In 1994 when it was paired with Friends, it made it to 11--with Friends soon passing it to become the higher-rated show.) Nothing had worked as well in the timeslot since Cosby (and nothing would afterward), and most of their new shows were shit. Again, moving it would have made no sense whatsoever.

There's a reason that when Seinfeld left, they moved Frasier to the night (which was catastrophic for the Tuesday lineup it had been holding up). They needed a strong Thursday. And while Frasier immediately jumped into the top three, it was the lowest of the three (Friends, Frasier, ER). The idea that Friends needed to be on Thursday to have high ratings rather than vice versa is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 124July 17, 2021 9:28 PM

[quote] IIRC, NBC was eventually the cause of theme songs getting dropped from TV shows altogether. They were the first to realize that dropping station breaks and theme songs -- and having one show move right into the next with no break in between -- was how you could hold on to an audience because it gave them no time to change the channel. Realizing this little trick was working for their rival, all the other networks eventually followed suit and the TV theme song became a thing of the past. If that's not exactly true, anyone who knows better please feel free to jump in and correct the record.

The FCC removed limits on commercial time in prime time starting in the 1980s. The networks really doubled down on it after that.

And it's another thing you can blame [italic]Friends[/italic] for.

by Anonymousreply 125July 17, 2021 9:28 PM

In '85 she got to do Shaw with Uta, r110.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 17, 2021 9:28 PM

[quote] Regarding GRAND, I get the impression that NBC at the time would have greenlit anything Carsey-Werner had to offer. It was more a case of offering anything rather than something (even if the theme is nice). Also, let's hear it for Pamela Reed, who had one hell of a 1990, with Grand, Cadillac Man, her voice work in The Civil War and Kindergarten Cop. She's still working, but talk about a period of briefly ruling the world.

She was also the voice of the mother of Bart Simpson's first crush. Let us not forget how that show took a chunk out of [italic]Cosby[/italic]'s ratings.

by Anonymousreply 127July 17, 2021 9:29 PM

I met Malcom Getz at a party one time in New York. This was after Caroline in the City and I was single. I tried picking him up. Not the brightest bulb in the box I must say.

by Anonymousreply 128July 17, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote] Not the brightest bulb in the box I must say.

You or him, R128?

by Anonymousreply 129July 17, 2021 9:32 PM

r123, you really have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about. Saying that Mad About You and Seinfeld gave Friends some kind of "cushion" when it had higher ratings than Mad About You ever did is nonsense. Also, Friends debuted in 1994; Seinfeld left in 1998. So even if there was some kind of a cushion (WTF), it wouldn't have lasted "for FIVE years until Seinfeld left the air" since Seinfeld left after Friends had been on 4.

by Anonymousreply 130July 17, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote]Hot, [R73]! How did you meet him and was the show still on the air at that time?

At show's season wrap party.

[quote]And is Malcolm packing?

Average.

Really nice guy and a good kisser.

by Anonymousreply 131July 17, 2021 9:41 PM

There's always the possibility they flat-out lied about the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 132July 17, 2021 9:43 PM

They never tried [italic]Cheers[/italic] on any other night either.

by Anonymousreply 133July 17, 2021 9:44 PM

Your attempts to defend this wretched show are weak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 17, 2021 9:46 PM

I only wish my flopfest 'Encore! Encore!' had been a Thursday night darling. Instead, it was assumed I could tent-pole the Tuesday night line-up on my own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 17, 2021 9:47 PM

Who would watch a sitcom about an opera singer losing his voice? What's so funny about that?

by Anonymousreply 136July 17, 2021 9:50 PM

The first season of Friends was cobbled together from spec scripts submitted to Seinfeld that weren’t good enough to be made.

by Anonymousreply 137July 17, 2021 9:54 PM

R110, I loved Pamela Reed in 'Kindergarten Cop.' She was also in a short-lived sitcom on NBC in the 90s where she played a judge.

by Anonymousreply 138July 17, 2021 9:54 PM

Are you all googling this?

I was actually around during this era, and as a tween and young teen (say ages 10-15) more invested in TV than at any other time in my life, and I cannot remember any of these shows or what else was on Thursday nights other than Seinfeld, Friends and Mad About You

Kudos if you are pulling these shows from memory

by Anonymousreply 139July 17, 2021 9:55 PM

R137: The subsequent nine were cobbled together from spec scripts of [italic]Living Single[/italic] and [italic]Full House[/italic] that weren't good enough to be made.

by Anonymousreply 140July 17, 2021 9:55 PM

The best thing you can say about [italic]Veronica's Closet[/italic] is that it outran Shelley Long's attempted TV comeback:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 17, 2021 9:57 PM

I used to watch Veronica's Closet reruns because I loved staring at Dan Cortese's biceps.

by Anonymousreply 142July 17, 2021 9:58 PM

[quote] Seriously, why were these opening credits so terrible during this time period?

More terrible opening credits: Anthony Clark dancing and spinning awkwardly for the opening of "Boston Common."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 17, 2021 10:04 PM

R37, unless you were addicted to sitcoms, we weren’t stuck back then, either. Both ER and The X-Files had many stand-alone episodes that didn’t rely on following the underlying story arc. Law & Order was completely episodic.

Waiting week to week for the next episode would have been annoying, except that it’s the only thing we knew at the time. You can’t miss what you’ve never had.

As a side note, I think our national culture has suffered as a result of losing “must see” weekly television. It used to be something that united people across political, racial, regional and social class divides. I didn’t watch the sitcoms much, except Seinfeld, but I used to jabber about TXF with people I would normally never talk to because we otherwise had nothing in common. Same for L&O in its early seasons.

by Anonymousreply 144July 17, 2021 10:06 PM

[quote]NBC had 18 sitcoms on the air at one point

And it has none scheduled for this fall.

by Anonymousreply 145July 17, 2021 10:07 PM

R138, The Home Court, part of a short-lived attempt to re-establish sitcoms on Saturdays. Pamela Reed also has a small link to "modern day" NBC sitcoms, as she played Marlene Knope on Parks & Rec.

by Anonymousreply 146July 17, 2021 10:11 PM

^^If we're talking about multi camera sitcoms, I think it's because they're going out of fashion. Tastes change and the laugh track/studio audience thing itself seems so dated.

by Anonymousreply 147July 17, 2021 10:11 PM

This is mediocrity gold, but is also very indicative of the whole "Must See TV" phenomenon that NBC gloated about. From the description:

"Star-Crossed Thursday On NBC, original airdate: November 2, 1995

Ok, here's the deal...

November 2, 1995, characters from certain shows bounced around onto other shows. Caroline from 'Caroline in the City' ended up on 'Friends', Chandler from 'Friends' ended up on 'Caroline in the City', and Ross from 'Friends' ended up on 'The Single Guy'.

Chandler's appearance lasted about a minute, and Caroline's appearance lasted less than that, but Ross was in almost half the episode he crossed over onto!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 17, 2021 10:16 PM

I was an extra in this Pamela Reed classic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 17, 2021 10:25 PM

For r142....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 17, 2021 10:27 PM

As mentioned above, the answer is The Single Guy.

by Anonymousreply 151July 17, 2021 10:28 PM

R150 That's what I used to watch before internet porn was a thing.

by Anonymousreply 152July 17, 2021 10:29 PM

R149, I assume you meant Grand, which was fantastic, and not whatever movie you liked too. The Powers That Be was great too but not sure if that counts as a Must See entrant. Wasn’t there a horrible Nathan Lane comedy in there somewhere too?

by Anonymousreply 153July 17, 2021 10:31 PM

One weird thing about Inside Schwartz was that it aired on NBC but used the on-air talent and set of the fledgling Fox Sports cable network for Schwartz’s fantasy moments. I’m sure Bob Costas would probably have been too expensive but they still could have used NBC talent. I know shows aren’t owned by the networks anymore so they often film at different studios from where they air but it was probably a sign NBC didn’t have much faith in the show if they didn’t try to cross-promote their own sports programming and talent.

by Anonymousreply 154July 17, 2021 10:31 PM

I don't think this was a Thursday night show, but does anyone remember a 2000s NBC sitcom called 'Committed"? It was about mentally ill people and Valerie Harper guest starred in one episode.

by Anonymousreply 155July 17, 2021 10:36 PM

[quote] Pamela Reed also has a small link to "modern day" NBC sitcoms, as she played Marlene Knope on Parks & Rec.

She was great at playing a cunt on that show and I loved how Leslie always remained naive to her mother's cuntiness.

by Anonymousreply 156July 17, 2021 10:44 PM

No, r153, I meant Scandal Sheet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 17, 2021 10:46 PM

[italic]The Powers That Be[/italic] was on Saturday nights after [italic]The Golden Girls[/italic] in its last season, so it doesn't technically count.

by Anonymousreply 158July 17, 2021 10:51 PM

R155 I remember that sitcom. Outside of Thursday "Must See TV", NBC had bunch of other filler sitcoms in the 90s like Working that starred Fred Savage and Cafe Americain with Valerie Bertinelli as an American living in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 159July 17, 2021 10:55 PM

R157 - my bad. Didn’t read the previous threads.

by Anonymousreply 160July 17, 2021 10:55 PM

The Powers That Be was a promising show that ended too soon.

by Anonymousreply 161July 17, 2021 10:58 PM

I don't understand why people hate Friends so much nowadays. I was never a fan of it. I only watched if I ate dinner with my next-door neighbors on Thursdays, and didn't care if I missed an episode. But I never hated it, and I never heard of anyone hating it when it was airing on NBC. So why is it so hated now?

by Anonymousreply 162July 17, 2021 11:12 PM

That's what I figured, r160. There was a bit of a Pamela Reed tangent.

by Anonymousreply 163July 17, 2021 11:26 PM

R162, well, I never liked Friends because the characters treated each other more like enemies than friends. I thought the show had a heart of stone, and so did Seinfeld, and one such show at a time was enough.

But I never hated it. I think people today get all worked up about lack of diversity - the great sin of the 2020's - and how privileged the characters were. We live in po-faced, humorless times.

by Anonymousreply 164July 17, 2021 11:28 PM

I unapologetically find this funny, r162.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 17, 2021 11:30 PM

[quote] And it has none scheduled for this fall.

The corporatist networks need to reinforce out culture of dread from sunup to sundown, thus the 96 and a half shows on death, forensics, murder and people always hunting you down.

by Anonymousreply 166July 17, 2021 11:36 PM

I love this thread because it is marrying two of DL's favorite things - "push" actors and "filler" shows.

by Anonymousreply 167July 17, 2021 11:36 PM

Stop trying to make push actors happen, Gretchen.

by Anonymousreply 168July 17, 2021 11:41 PM

R165: That's not funny, that's sick, disgusting, and exploitative and says nothing about the human condition. Nothing about the show was funny then or now. It had plenty of haters and as long as the oligarchs keep shoving it in our faces, we will speak out against it. All the actors on that show were push actors. None could act.

And they are joke thieves:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 17, 2021 11:43 PM

They were not even the first NBC sitcom to have one of its lead characters get stuck inside a turkey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 17, 2021 11:44 PM

[quote] But I never hated it, and I never heard of anyone hating it when it was airing on NBC. So why is it so hated now?

It’s hated now because Friends is problematic for being transphobic and homophobic and none of the six friends were black.

by Anonymousreply 171July 17, 2021 11:53 PM

And because it's about as funny as a hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 172July 17, 2021 11:58 PM

'Friends' is the type of comedy where viewers are supposed to like the characters and want to be their friends. I've never liked those kinds of shows. Give me 'Frasier' or 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' or 'It's Always Sunny' any day over 'Friends' and 'That 70s Show' and 'How I Met Your Mother.'

by Anonymousreply 173July 18, 2021 12:02 AM

[quote]'Friends' is the type of comedy where viewers are supposed to like the characters and want to be their friends.

Even on that level, they failed, making the title a lie.

by Anonymousreply 174July 18, 2021 12:03 AM

People who enjoy 'Friends' were the same people who were never bullied in high school.

by Anonymousreply 175July 18, 2021 12:04 AM

I'll pick one from column A and one from column B, r173. I liked Frasier and That '70s Show.

by Anonymousreply 176July 18, 2021 12:05 AM

D:Lers hate Friends because they were in their 30s and 40s when the show came out and the Friends were in their 20s and it reminded them that they were getting old and that there was a new generation they had little in common with..

by Anonymousreply 177July 18, 2021 12:09 AM

People who hate Friends have no life. Or friends.

by Anonymousreply 178July 18, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote] People who enjoy 'Friends' were the same people who were bullies in high school.

[quote] People who don't hate Friends have no life. Or friends. Or conscience. Or any business telling anyone else what to watch on TV.

Fixed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 18, 2021 12:14 AM

[quote] People who enjoy 'Friends' were the same people who were bullies in high school.

[quote] People who don't hate Friends have no life. Or friends. Or conscience. Or any business telling anyone else what to watch on TV.

Fixed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 18, 2021 12:14 AM

R177: And once again, you prove the haters correct by engaging in ageist stereotype. I was a teen at the time. The show was crap then and it is unwatchable now. They took [italic]Amos 'n' Andy[/italic] off the air for less than this. That show was and is superior, and don't you deny it.

by Anonymousreply 181July 18, 2021 12:15 AM

Except for [italic]Frasier[/italic], all the post-Tartikoff sitcoms were disasters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 18, 2021 12:16 AM

There's a wonderful scene in the HBO movie [italic]The Late Shift[/italic] where Kathy Bates as Helen Kushnick, Jay Leno's agent, chews out Warren Littlefield, then-new head of programming at NBC. She tells him "you're not half the executive Brandon was." She should have gotten an Emmy for that role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 18, 2021 12:17 AM

No one cares about that stupid tired article that always gets dragged out, R180. Or the one about how transphobic Friends was. 🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 184July 18, 2021 12:21 AM

I seem to be the exception to the rules of r175 and r177.

by Anonymousreply 185July 18, 2021 12:26 AM

R184: The article is not stupid and tired and you're a racist and a homophobe for defending any aspect of this stupid fucking show. White supremacy, heterosexual supremacy, and gentile supremacy are the ONLY things keeping it alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186July 18, 2021 12:27 AM

And don't doubt for a second that homophobia doesn't play a part in why Disney won't release [italic]Empty Nest[/italic] on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 187July 18, 2021 12:28 AM

And don't doubt for a second that homophobia does indeed play a part in why Disney won't release [italic]Empty Nest [/italic] on DVD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188July 18, 2021 12:29 AM

"All is Forgiven," with Bess Armstrong and Carol Kane, probably pre-dated Must See TV, but that was an unfunny nothing show. And Bess always seemed so bland and uncharismatic to me that I wondered what casting agents and producers saw in her.

by Anonymousreply 189July 18, 2021 12:49 AM

"gentile supremacy are the ONLY things keeping it alive"

At least two of the main characters are explicitly Jewish, with at least another possibly being one.

by Anonymousreply 190July 18, 2021 12:49 AM

The show depicts Jewish men as unattractive, emotionally abusive wimps, which makes it anti-semitic stereotyping and makes David Schwimmer an Uncle Tom.

by Anonymousreply 191July 18, 2021 12:50 AM

R155, I liked Committed. Tom Poston and Eddie Winslow (Family Matters) were on the show.

by Anonymousreply 192July 18, 2021 12:51 AM

R192 and Melissa Etheridge's ex-wife.

by Anonymousreply 193July 18, 2021 1:12 AM

R188 Empty Nest had Kristy McNichol - how homophobic could it be?

by Anonymousreply 194July 18, 2021 1:51 AM

It wasn't. Not by a long shot.. But Disney today doesn't want to release so much as a season 1 box set because they know sales will likely drop off once they get to the seasons she isn't in.

by Anonymousreply 195July 18, 2021 2:11 AM

Friends sucked dirty moose balls.

Only the Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men were less funny

by Anonymousreply 196July 18, 2021 2:18 AM

Hey, my balls are clean!

by Anonymousreply 197July 18, 2021 3:47 AM

The "Will & Grace" reboot.

by Anonymousreply 198July 18, 2021 3:47 AM

Well, well...well. CSI is on and who should appear? Little Miss Pamela Reed...that's who.

by Anonymousreply 199July 18, 2021 4:50 AM

A few Dabney Coleman vehicles popping up on here. How many failed shows was he on?

by Anonymousreply 200July 18, 2021 4:53 AM

Jesus, you’re pompous R121. Like it or not, Friends was a global success. What you’re listing are critical successes. Despite all the Emmys, general audiences wholly rejected Mad Men as boring and pretentious and 30 Rock was always poorly rated and a bubble show.

Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones had big numbers, but nowhere near the ratings Friends had and still does. What did the streaming rights just sell for? Another 200 million? You’re letting your personal contempt for the show cloud your judgment and making really incoherent arguments.

by Anonymousreply 201July 18, 2021 5:05 AM

R130, "Mad About You" had been on the air for almost two years when "Friends" premiered. It was not a huge hit by any means but was a critic's darling that did just well enough (and I believe had been nominated for several Emmys) and which fit perfectly into the demographic that NBC desired most (yuppies), so placing an unknown title between it and "Seinfeld" was most certainly a cushion spot. (See attached article, which called the scheduling "a smart marketing move.") And I did not say that "Mad About You" had been in the 8pm Thursday slot for all that time (hence my mention of its move to Sunday nights), just that the 8:30pm slot had been ideal for "Friends" leading into "Seinfeld" for those years before "Seinfeld" left the air (4 years, not 5). So yes, it's a fair assumption to make that this was helpful to "Friends" right out of the gate.

And with regard to R124, what did any of that have to do with my post? I was speculating as to why NBC was never willing to move "Friends" away from Thursdays and I stand 100% by what I said. Networks have been moving hit shows around to shore up other nights for decades; it's not some unheard-of strategy. I said they were probably never willing to entertain the idea because if they'd taken the risk and the ratings suffered even a smidgen, it would have been humiliating for the show and opened it up to critics saying its success had been an illusion all along and that it was really only a hit because of its proximity to "Seinfeld." (Doesn't matter whether it was true or not, that would've been the headline.) Where did I say that "Friends" wasn't highly profitable for the network on Thursday nights? Of course it was. I never said that it wasn't.

And funny how you mentioned "A Different World" given that people used to say it was only a hit because it benefited from being on Thursday nights. But clearly we're never allowed to suggest that "Friends" was only a hit for the same reason, though I guess it's highly possible it would've delivered the same blockbuster ratings had NBC scheduled it on Saturday nights between "Something Wilder" and "Empty Nest."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 18, 2021 5:18 AM

You’re hopeless, r202.

Why did CBS keep Raymond on Mondays for 8 seasons? Or ABC keep Home Improvement on Tuesdays forever? Why did NBC keep ER in the same timeslot for its entire run?

Because you don't move a top 5 show. Period.

by Anonymousreply 203July 18, 2021 5:25 AM

ABC moved us after our first seasons...and our ratings died.

by Anonymousreply 204July 18, 2021 5:35 AM

20-30 million people watched Friends each week for 10 seasons. 52 million watched its finale. Today you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who admits to liking it. Yet for ten years it seems like a lot of people did like it.

by Anonymousreply 205July 18, 2021 6:24 AM

[quote] Today you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who admits to liking it.

WTF are you talking about? Get out of your bubble. Millions of people love it. It was one of the most watched series on Netflix and it was a huge loss to them to lose it to HBOMax. The reunion broke HBOMax records. Friends merchandise keeps selling and they’re always coming out with new ones, like the board games and advent calendars. Millennials and Gen Z love wearing f.r.i.e.n.d.s hoodies and T-shirts. It’s found new generations of fans.

by Anonymousreply 206July 18, 2021 6:34 AM

I was being facetious R206. Of course lots of people liked Friends (hence 20-30 million viewers per week). But as this thread shows, the thing to say now is that it sucked and is hated. All the cool kids are doing it.

by Anonymousreply 207July 18, 2021 6:45 AM

So I’m surprised no one has brought up Newsradio which in my opinion in terms of quality surpasses them all. Hilarious weird and didn’t fit into the Must See TV box as hard as the network tried. A brilliant little gem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208July 18, 2021 11:23 AM

The best of the best. No question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209July 18, 2021 11:24 AM

The best of the best in my opinion. Brilliant show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 18, 2021 11:27 AM

Sorry. for the multiple posts about Newsradio. I thought it wasn’t posting. LOL

by Anonymousreply 211July 18, 2021 11:30 AM

As someone who quit watching network TV years ago, could you tell me if NBC even has must see tv Thursdays anymore? If so, what is the lineup? A bunch of reality show shit?

by Anonymousreply 212July 18, 2021 11:31 AM

Some of you have baby tastes not only in food but in entertainment, too.

How gauche.

by Anonymousreply 213July 18, 2021 12:34 PM

I liked Friends. It was unrealistic, and lightweight, but it was enjoyable. I still like it. Not everything has to be on par with The Brothers Karamazov. Some things can just be a fun diversion.

I love Newsradio. It used to piss me off when I would go to watch, and NBC moved it again. Newsradio had a fantastic cast that really made the absurdity seem believable.

by Anonymousreply 214July 18, 2021 12:36 PM

I forgot Barbra Barrie was on Suddenly Susan. Never understood why she worked so much. Her presence seemed so forced.

by Anonymousreply 215July 18, 2021 12:47 PM

David Strickland offed himself because he was on that shit show Suddenly Susan. Can you blame him?

by Anonymousreply 216July 18, 2021 1:08 PM

R104, what I remember best about that show was how sexy Tea Leoni was in her shirt skirts and ladder legs!

by Anonymousreply 217July 18, 2021 1:18 PM

Great article. So many shows I either never heard of (Coupling? Leap of Faith?) or never realized were at some point a part of “Must See TV.” Also, wow was Mark Feurstein on a lot of shows!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218July 18, 2021 1:41 PM

Leap of Faith was created by Jenny Bicks and was NBC’s attempt at a network Sex & the City. It should be a DL icon given its cast: Sarah Paulson, Regina King, Jill Clayburgh, Brad Rowe, and Ken Marino.

by Anonymousreply 219July 18, 2021 3:06 PM

Why would it be surprising R207 that DLers did not like Friends, given the demographic on here and the love for shows like Golden Girls and Facts of Life?

by Anonymousreply 220July 18, 2021 3:25 PM

I hate Andy Dick so no [italic]NewsRadio[/italic] for me. He’s the reason Phil Hartman is dead.

by Anonymousreply 221July 18, 2021 3:29 PM

"Townies", with Molly Ringwald and Jenna Elfman

by Anonymousreply 222July 18, 2021 3:30 PM

Henry Winkler was nominated for a guest Emmy for Battery Park. But then tv reporter Alan Sepinwall pointed out that the episode had been postponed and actually aired outside the eligibility period, so the nomination was withdrawn. William H. Macy got a nomination for Sports Night instead. Bruce Willis ultimately won for Friends.

by Anonymousreply 223July 18, 2021 3:34 PM

Bruce Willis won an Emmy?! Oh, FU, Hollywood!!!

by Anonymousreply 224July 18, 2021 3:36 PM

Townies was on ABC. The big name in the cast was Molly Ringwald. Which is funny now since the rest of the cast was Jenna Elfman, Lauren Graham, and Ron Livingston.

by Anonymousreply 225July 18, 2021 3:37 PM

Jenna Elfman's post-Dharma TV shows have all been filler: Courting Alex, Accidentally on Purpose, 1600 Penn, Growing Up Fisher, and Imaginary Mary. Poor Jenna.

by Anonymousreply 226July 18, 2021 3:43 PM

Face it Jenna, we're just not into you anymore.

by Anonymousreply 227July 18, 2021 3:49 PM

Don't worry, gays, I'll be back with more filler shows!

by Anonymousreply 228July 18, 2021 3:51 PM

Please, please, Jenna, make sure you sing in them!

by Anonymousreply 229July 18, 2021 3:54 PM

R220: you mean shows that are actually funny and cast minorities in them without having to be goaded into it?

by Anonymousreply 230July 18, 2021 4:49 PM

🙄 — go cry into your Martin DVDs, R30. Not every show needs to have diversity. The shows on BET certainly don’t have any interest in diversity!

by Anonymousreply 231July 19, 2021 5:59 AM

Go wash the shit stains out of your white hood, R231. Not every show needs to be nothing but yt heterosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 232July 19, 2021 9:04 AM

Go wash the shit stains out of your white hood, R231. Not every show needs to be nothing but yt heterosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 233July 19, 2021 9:04 AM

Black people haven't owned BET in over 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 234July 19, 2021 9:05 AM

Why so racist, R231? You remind me of my identical twin sister Ursula, who appeared on 'Mad About You' before crossing over to my own, even whiter sitcom. She hated the Blacks!

by Anonymousreply 235July 20, 2021 3:22 PM

Watching Ellie

by Anonymousreply 236July 20, 2021 6:28 PM

R236 That show got even worse when they ditched the real time gimmick and tried to do a traditional sitcom. 'New Adventures of Old Christine' was so much better.

by Anonymousreply 237July 20, 2021 10:38 PM

Was this shit show ever in the Thursday lineup, or was it another day? I honestly can't remember. My mother loved it (because of course she did).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238July 20, 2021 11:28 PM

I don’t think The Mommies was ever on Thursday although maybe they aired it there once or twice to try and give it exposure. I seem to recall it being on Mondays or maybe Fridays

by Anonymousreply 239July 20, 2021 11:40 PM

The Mommies was on Saturdays. I am guilty of having watched it. But I was in middle school at the time. I watched that, Nurses, Empty Nest, and Sisters. I did my homework during Cafe Americain.

by Anonymousreply 240July 20, 2021 11:42 PM

The “Grand” theme song is even more cringey than i remembered

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 20, 2021 11:50 PM

Telma Hopkins left Family Matters to do The Mommies. Dumb!

by Anonymousreply 242July 21, 2021 2:18 PM

I thought she left Family Matters to do a show with Cindy Marshall, R242.

by Anonymousreply 243July 21, 2021 5:50 PM

I watched Union Square because I had a crush on the male lead, Michael Landes…even though I thought it was lame. For some reason his role was gradually reduced to a supporting one and I lost interest. Glad that he has found success with “Cruel Summer”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 21, 2021 6:19 PM

The John Larroquette Show

by Anonymousreply 245July 21, 2021 6:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!