Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Films of the 70s

Cruising, An Unmarried Woman, Dog Day Afternoon, Chinatown, Klute, Shampoo, Day of the Locust, Serpico, The Godfather, Looking for Mr Goodbar, The King of Marvin Gardens

I think the 70s was my favourite decade for film. So many films still hold up well today and the acting has not aged as much as the stagey acting of the 30s through to the 50s. I love the gritty look of the films and the stars were still fairly enigmatic and interesting.

It’s sad that these types of films are rarely made these days, I wonder if we will ever experience such an explosion of exciting filmmaking again in our lifetimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33612 hours ago

I know Cruising is technically a film from 1980, but I included it because it has all the hallmarks of the films I love from the decade preceding it.

by Anonymousreply 107/16/2021

The Wiz was unquestionably the best film of that decade. Both Michael and Diana shine through their gritty portrayal of fictional characters from Oz.

by Anonymousreply 207/16/2021

JAWS!!! CLOSE RNCOUNTERS WITH THE THIRD GRADE! THE TOWERING INFERO!! EARTHQUAKE!! PATTON

by Anonymousreply 307/16/2021

This blog has been linked here before but I am always happy to promote it. This guy set out to review every movie released during the 70s, including some TV movies. Well worth your time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407/16/2021

When the magic of the movies was brutalized and buried. Small wonder it’s resurrection was the trash we’ve endured since.

by Anonymousreply 507/16/2021

Small Wonder was an excellent syndicated 80s TV series with Vicky,

by Anonymousreply 607/16/2021

Buried treasures:

Deep End 70 UK

Diary of a Mad Housewife 70 US

The Wild Child 70 France

Two-Land Blacktop 71 US

Vanishing Point 71 US

Slaughterhouse-Five 72 US

Payday 72 US

The Homecoming 73 UK

Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins 75 US

Smile 75 US

From Noon Till Three 76 US

Eraserhead 77 US

Straight Time 78 US

by Anonymousreply 707/16/2021

"Smile" was my favorite movie in High School R7 - it perfectly captured my snide teen sensibility.

by Anonymousreply 807/16/2021

R7 I saw “straight time” recently and surprised I’d never been made to watch it before. It’s exactly the type of movie I love.

by Anonymousreply 907/16/2021

Also two great movies about movie making that I love from this era “beware of a holy whore” by fassbinder and “day for a night” by Truffaut.

by Anonymousreply 1007/16/2021

plus Bonnie & Clyde, The Graduate, The Wild Bunch, Pink Flamingoes, Klute, Days of Heaven, The Last Picture show, Scenes from a Marriage...nothing like that now.

by Anonymousreply 1107/16/2021

So many great filmmakers were doing their thing. Altman, Terence Malick, the foreign ones too like Truffaut and fassbinder.

by Anonymousreply 1207/16/2021

The Honeymoon Killers 1970 'a more concentrated less cluttered, clearer vision than you are likely to have found in even the best conventional crime movies'-NYTimes 2-5-70

by Anonymousreply 1307/16/2021

R11 those were 60s

by Anonymousreply 1407/16/2021

I agree that Cruising seemed like a 70s movie; so did Missing. Did I mention Cinderella Liberty and American Graffitti? Sorry if someone mentioned upthread--consider it another vote for. On the other hand, I thought Ken Russell was the bane of the seventies.

by Anonymousreply 1507/16/2021

R15 I can see that about “missing”. That was another great one. And all those fun Ken Russell films too.

by Anonymousreply 1607/16/2021

I agree that the '70's was the decade that movies went down the cesspool, largely due to pretentious Baby Boomers and those who catered to their reactionary sensibilities. Most of these "masterpieces" are overacted faux-art that might have been more graphic in terms of violence and sex than what came before but far less artistic. Case in point - recently re-watched ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE and it was junk saturated in misandry and cliches of the single-mother-as-liberated-heroine. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 1707/16/2021

With “Alice doesn’t live here anymore” I feel some of the things it covered have become cliche with time as other films have tried to replicate it “mermaids”… but Honestly I have a soft spot for that Film.

by Anonymousreply 1807/16/2021

I was young during this period and was going to these movies and thinking what is this pretentious shit? So I then started going to revival houses to see good movies and clear my brain where I realized they were attempting to imitate foreign movies from the late 40s, 50s and 60s but doing it so incredibly badly. Even when Spielberg was imitating Curtiz or Lean he was making student movies with a studio budget.

by Anonymousreply 1907/16/2021

[R18] Burstyn is the only thing that makes it watchable, although at 43 she seemed too old to be playing a 35 y/o woman starting over. The actor playing the son was out of his depth in a large, poorly written role, Alice's relationships with men were stilted and negative and the diner ensemble wasn't developed enough to lend warmth to the story. Scorsese has zero feel for comedy and many of the (presumably) improved scene between the mother and son characters were cringey and overlong. The Tucson locations were promising but Scorsese underutilized them and missed the opportunity to add a beautiful natural counterpoint to the story's kitchen sink aspects. I thought I liked it more than I did - until I saw it again.

by Anonymousreply 2007/16/2021

THE GODFATHER films are horribly overacted in that overbearing New Yawk style that might be called "when Jews met Italians."

by Anonymousreply 2107/16/2021

R19 which foreign movies were they imitating. I forgot to mention cassavetes whose films are a staple of the 70s too- particularly “husbands” and also one that he acted in but didn’t direct “Mikey and Nicky”

by Anonymousreply 2207/16/2021

DeNiro and Pacino in particular were two coked-out hams. Cagney and Bogart could act circles around them.

by Anonymousreply 2307/16/2021

Ken Russell's "Listomania" 1975 would this one sheet (movie poster) or ad campaign be approved today?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2407/16/2021

R24 love it!

by Anonymousreply 2507/16/2021

[quote]THE GODFATHER films are horribly overacted in that overbearing New Yawk style that might be called "when Jews met Italians."

OK, you can go now.

by Anonymousreply 2607/16/2021

It was also the era of the dog-faced leading lady. In addition to Burstyn, there was Streisand, Diane Keaton, Jill Clayburgh and, later, Streep - all plain or ugly women. A reverse-prejudice then set in so that when someone like Jessica Lange came along, they cynically assumed that she couldn't possibly be that beautiful and that talented at once - which is insane considering the actresses of the classic era - Garbo, Crawford, Taylor, Monroe, Leigh, etc..

by Anonymousreply 2707/16/2021

The films of the 70s are the gauge by which I judge all the modern superhero dreck movies, which have no subtlety, no believable characterizations, no ordinary human presence. I watch Chinatown and rejoice. I watch Avengers: End Game and I just want to go pee and browse my mail. I will admit to loving the CGI in many of these movies--who doesn't like a cheap thrill? But the real thrill is in a like this: I'm her sister. I'm her mother. OR: Jake, it's Chinatown.

by Anonymousreply 2807/16/2021

Eyes of Laura Mars.

by Anonymousreply 2907/16/2021

These days a film like “eyes of Laura Mars” world be lauded I feel as a breath of fresh air and a return to storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 3007/16/2021

Though it was released in 1969, The Bed Sitting Room is pure ‘70s. Another great film is Harold and Maude. And then there are all the art-house Italian films (early Wertmüller, Cavani, Bertolucci), some excellent Dario Argento, and some of Bergman’s best (Cries and Whispers, Scenes from a Marriage, and The Serpent’s Egg).

by Anonymousreply 3107/16/2021

[quote]I know Cruising is technically a film from 1980, but I included it because it has all the hallmarks of the films I love from the decade preceding it

Cruising would have been filmed in the 70's, OP, as would one of my favourite films The Fog. Let's just say the 70's was a far kinder mistress to Adrienne Barbeau's hair style than the 80's were!

by Anonymousreply 3207/16/2021

French: Day for Night, Small Change (J'ai faim, J'ai faim!), Cousin, Cousine. Those are the only ones I remember, but there were more.

by Anonymousreply 3307/16/2021

R27 has forgotten Faye Dunaway, Julie Christie, Candice Bergen, Raquel Welch, Catherine Deneuve, Jacqueline Bisset, Katherine Ross, Jane Fonda, Ann-Margret, Bo Derek, Cybill Shepherd, Ali MacGraw, Isabelle Adjani . . .

by Anonymousreply 3407/16/2021

Things were so much more understated in those films. Compare the closing scene in The Verdict (yes I know it was ‘82, but many early 80s movies were still “of the 70s) with any overblown courtroom scene in A Few Good Men. Blech

by Anonymousreply 3507/16/2021

Well, R35 you may be right, but have you ever seen "And Justice for All' (79) with Al 'you're out of line!' Pacino. playing a lawyer like a carnival barker? Al was nominated for Best Actor for his showboating.

by Anonymousreply 3607/16/2021

R38 yeah of course. I also saw Kevin Spacey’a imitation of Pacino in that scene (I forget the name of the movie) - which you would think would be an exaggeration of what Pacino did - but wasn’t.

It’s a generalization of course and I think (again, in general it stands). Especially when you compare films in similar genres from the 70s Vs other decades, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3707/16/2021

Great films, gritty and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3807/16/2021

Wouldn’t most of these films be targets for SJWs if made these days? Most of the main characters in these films were deeply flawed, “politically incorrect” individuals. I don’t feel there’s a lot of room for nuance.

by Anonymousreply 3907/16/2021

Easily my favorite decade of film making, I don't care if it's an unpopular take here. It really seems like the last time in which film makers didn't baby their audiences, and the audiences in turn desired complex and interesting movies.

by Anonymousreply 4007/17/2021

R40 I think you are right. Most of these films appealed to an adult audience. Most of the programming I see on HBO Max has a target audience of tween/20 year olds. I don’t think I’ll be returning to the movies anytime soon either. I have stopped watching TV for the most part as well. Sucks.

by Anonymousreply 4107/17/2021

I think if I were to be an actor in any era I would maybe pick the 70s. Forget about all this mundane gym going and special diets and No alcohol! I’d just want to act as a real human being!

by Anonymousreply 4207/17/2021

I think Airport '75 is my favorite of all time. Linda Blair acts so damned fruity and fucking Helen Reddy won a Golden Globe Award for Best Newcomer for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 4307/17/2021

The Gambler (1974) makes great use of Mahler's first symphony and contains one of my favorite bits of dialogue in movie history:

Billie: You're crazy!

Axel: But I'm blessed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4407/17/2021

Saw The Gambler in a theater and it was damned difficult to understand what Lauren Hutton said most of the time

by Anonymousreply 4507/17/2021

I agree, R35. If we can consider 1981 part of the decade, then Body Heat is a near perfect film. Watched it on TCM the other night and was amazed how it held my attention--I've seen it many times. Lawrence Kasdan was an uneven but really interesting director and I don't think he put a foot wrong in BH. Then the real 80s film era kicked in and there was a lot of crap--not to mention the godawful music and fashions.

by Anonymousreply 4607/17/2021

Eating ass is fun!

by Anonymousreply 4707/17/2021

Another vote for Harold and Maude. I rewatch that every 5 years and it still stands up.

by Anonymousreply 4807/17/2021

I think most people today would be bored by films of the 70s. Unless they “see themselves—or it has lots of farting and fucking, non-stop action and minimal dialogue, it’s considered “boring”.

by Anonymousreply 4907/17/2021

R49 I don’t know. I think if you made them watch “dog day afternoon”, or “taxi driver” they might appreciate it the era.

by Anonymousreply 5007/17/2021

Funnily enough OP the 70s is one of my least favourite decades for films, of the ones you list only Chinatown appeals.

by Anonymousreply 5107/17/2021

True—the more intense and super violent films would be appreciated. I know many young guys who watch Scarface and talk about it like it’s the pinnacle of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 5207/17/2021

Airport’75!

by Anonymousreply 5307/17/2021

Some of the bad films are interesting too.

by Anonymousreply 5407/17/2021

I love 70s films that were shot in nyc but they also make me a little sad because the city was just so alive and fabulous back then.

by Anonymousreply 5507/17/2021

Animal House

by Anonymousreply 5607/17/2021

Black Christmas

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

by Anonymousreply 5707/17/2021

The China Syndrome

by Anonymousreply 5807/17/2021

Nashville

by Anonymousreply 5907/17/2021

R27 "It was also the era of the dog-faced leading lady (...) when someone like Jessica Lange came along, they cynically assumed that she couldn't possibly be that beautiful and that talented at once - which is insane considering the actresses of the classic era - Garbo, Crawford, Taylor, Monroe, Leigh, etc.. "

Except that little Joan Crawford was the original dog-faced leading lady. No straight man wanted to fuck her if not for decent money. Or did you think of Cindy Crawford? That would be the wrong area in time or profession.

by Anonymousreply 6007/17/2021

R27 Ever hear of Bette Davis, Jane Wyman, Shirley Booth, Shelley Winters, Greer Garson, Olivia de Haviland, Anne Baxter, Geraldine Page, Judy Garland, Shirley MacLaine, Barbara Stanwyck, Irene Dunne, Julie Andrews, Judy Holiday, Joanne Woodward . . .leading ladies from the 30s/ 40s/50s/60s who were not noted for their sex appeal, glamour or beauty or more contemporary Meryl Streep, Kathy Bates, Angelica Huston, Glenn Close, Emma Thompson, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Frances McDormand, Emma Stone?

by Anonymousreply 61Last Sunday at 12:40 AM

Peak Woody Allen in the 70s too...Bananas, Sleeper, Love and Death, Play it Again Sam, Everything...Sex, Annie Hall, Interiors, Manhattan.....great stuff!

by Anonymousreply 62Last Sunday at 9:05 AM

Alien

Apocalypse Now

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

Five Easy Pieces

The Exorcist

The Omen

All the films OP mentioned. A truly fantastic decade of film.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Sunday at 9:16 AM

The studio system had just imploded and it was a free for all until the 80's came along and studios started getting right back to their old tricks.

I truly think we're due for another studio system implosion within the next decade. Maybe then we can have a little diversity at movie theaters again. The great part about the 70's and parts of the 80's was that you'd look at the newspaper for movie showtimes and see arthouse dramas playing alongside superhero movies, slapstick comedies, slasher films, monster movies, and intelligent family films. It would be nice to see something like that again. There was a movie for everyone. These days, they make the mistake of trying to make every movie for everyone and it ends up pleasing no one.

by Anonymousreply 64Last Sunday at 9:36 AM

Hope so R64.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Sunday at 9:38 AM

Airport ‘75

by Anonymousreply 66Last Sunday at 9:38 AM

The Concorde. . .Airport '79 Unmissable.

Charo, Alain Delon, Bibi Andersson, Jimmy 'JJ' Walker, Susan Blakely, Cicely Tyson, Robert Wagner, Sylvia 'Emmanuelle' Kristel, Martha Raye, John Davidson, Sybil Danning, Mercedes McCambridge, Avery Schreiber and, of course, George Kennedy. If you think that cast sounds incredible, wait till you see the movie before you suspend disbelief!

by Anonymousreply 67Last Sunday at 12:07 PM

R67 that’s like a datalounge dream cast!

by Anonymousreply 68Last Sunday at 1:15 PM

This is 1980 but never seen it. Any eldergays familiar? Poor DS. RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69Last Sunday at 3:52 PM

Polanski's The Tenant

by Anonymousreply 70Last Sunday at 6:23 PM

Panic in Needle Park

by Anonymousreply 71Last Sunday at 6:44 PM

Going Places (France 1974)

by Anonymousreply 72Last Sunday at 7:11 PM

A very underrated movie but incredibly entertaining and the best presentation of New York in the 70s is The Taking of Pelham One Two Three starring Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw. It's a crackerjack heist film and gives you the full spectrum of New York citizens and attitudes. I watch it every time it comes on TV.

Oh, and dumbasses like R17 who complain about "misandry" in a movie are the kind of immature, insecure white men who never had a problem with all the misogyny and racism in American films but let just one movie come along that doesn't praise, indulge or pander to white men and they throw a tantrum.

by Anonymousreply 73Last Sunday at 7:14 PM

Wise Blood 1979

by Anonymousreply 74Last Sunday at 7:14 PM

R73 The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) R73 features Walter Matthau in a running 'joker' where he refers to a group of Asian men with a series of slurs thinking they don't understand English. The audience is cued to laugh as he refers to them as 'these monkeys.' it is and was in bad taste even if he does get a comeuppance in the end. And WTF do those scenes have to do with plot?

by Anonymousreply 75Last Sunday at 7:50 PM

R75, no, the audience isn't cued to laugh when he calls them "these monkeys." The audience laughs at the embarrassed, ashamed look on Matthau's face when the Asian men turn out to speak and understand English as well as he does. There's a similar moment later when Matthau discovers that the commanding, intelligent police chief he's been speaking to on the phone the whole time is African-American. It just reveals the racial flaws that even fairly decent guys like Matthau's character have. It all contributes to creating a complex, fully realized vision of the people in New York City at that time. Pelham is a great New York movie.

by Anonymousreply 76Last Sunday at 9:03 PM

R76 The audience in NY Times Square certainly laughed with Matthau as he's giving the men a tour ad not until later is the laugh on him.

by Anonymousreply 77Last Monday at 12:06 AM

And therefore what, r77?

by Anonymousreply 78Last Monday at 4:13 AM

R78 A series of derogatory terms were used for the purpose of cheap laughs which had nothing to do with the plot and it was offensive, I'm sure the remake didn't include that dialog.

by Anonymousreply 79Last Monday at 8:29 AM

That was then, r79. People actually talked that way. Now is now. You want to erase all of film history because "offensive"?

by Anonymousreply 80Last Monday at 8:49 AM

R80 Yes, of course. That was obviously my point!

by Anonymousreply 81Last Monday at 9:03 AM

R80 and people still talk that way!

by Anonymousreply 82Last Monday at 9:07 AM

Let's not forget the great disaster films of the 70s...Poseidon Adventure, Airport 1975, Towering Inferno, Earthquake!

by Anonymousreply 83Last Monday at 9:46 AM

The Towering Inferno is at nearly 3 hours a towering bore, Earthquake except for the special effects best appreciated in Sensurround is overloaded with subplots and flat characterizations and dialog and The Poseidon Adventure is fun.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Monday at 10:04 AM

A Woman Under the Influence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85Last Monday at 10:08 AM

Tunnel Vision

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86Last Monday at 10:11 AM

The Legacy - Katherine Ross, Sam Elliott, Roger Daltrey

by Anonymousreply 87Last Monday at 10:54 AM

Liv was given so many chances here and weren't they all bombs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88Last Monday at 10:58 AM

As another poster upthread mentioned, the '70's was when Hollywood filmmakers attempted to incorporate European New Wave elements into their films to mostly clumsy results - the modes of production definitely informed the aesthetic and the American filmmakers were too "Hollywood" to get it. BREATHLESS could not have been made by Hollywood.

The 70's did however establish some new "givens" that are still with us today but they're hardly cause to celebrate, including: graphic violence that transformed the relationship between filmmaker and audience into one of sadist (filmmaker) and masochist (audience); simulated sex and nude scenes required of most actresses; rambling improv sequences that bloated scenes; potty mouth dialogue; poorly edited movies running to ridiculous length due to the fact that schmuck directors were now regarded as "auteurs"; widespread, casual misandry that equated to female characters always being in the right; the depiction of single mothers as universally virtuous; an insistence that all institutions were innately corrupt (save for academia, the media and Hollywood); the idealization of "ethnic" characters as being intrinsically virtuous; the depiction of children as knowing adults housed in underage bodies; the normalization of broken family structures; the vilification of rural people; the use of pop songs not written expressly for the film - and so on and so on and so on.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Monday at 11:34 AM

Godzilla vs. Megalon

by Anonymousreply 90Last Monday at 11:39 AM

[R89] The relentless vilification of Christianity while Judaism and Eastern religions were exalted; the normalization of drug culture; the transference of religious sentiments to outer space.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Monday at 11:59 AM

91 = Franklin Graham

by Anonymousreply 92Last Monday at 12:28 PM

Another Liv bomb...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93Last Monday at 1:44 PM

I never miss a Liv Ullmann musical!

by Anonymousreply 94Last Monday at 1:47 PM

R94 Speaking of Liv Ullman musicals, don't miss Lost Horizon (1973) so bad it's bad. Its awfulness is somewhat fascinating and actually Liv doesn't come off too badly which is more than one can say for most of the others.

by Anonymousreply 95Last Monday at 4:05 PM

R89 hi Tucker Carlson, didn’t know you posted here!

by Anonymousreply 96Last Monday at 4:07 PM

Lost Horizon also had the distinction of ending the Bacharach-David partnership. I found the soundtrack in a pile of records someone was giving away, but I haven't had the heart to listen to it yet.

by Anonymousreply 97Last Monday at 4:12 PM

I thought that one didn't have to be mentioned, r94 as it was the obvious go-to. How about 40 Carats...it only made $2,100,000...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98Last Monday at 4:21 PM

I don't think it's been mentioned yet: The Stepford Wives

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99Last Monday at 4:25 PM

R98 Thank you! I've been trying to remember the name of that movie for years!

by Anonymousreply 100Last Monday at 4:33 PM

Liv talking about Ingrid on Autumn Sonata

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101Last Monday at 6:41 PM

From the start you know you're not in for a pleasant experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102Last Monday at 7:21 PM

I always loved The Chinaman Syndrome. Who knew it would become a viral reality in 2020 called COVID.

by Anonymousreply 103Last Monday at 7:29 PM

[quote] The Chinaman Syndrome.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 104Last Tuesday at 6:28 AM

Queenie was a blonde...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105Last Tuesday at 8:08 AM

The 70s are by far my favorite decade for movies. Hey, I even thought Funny Lady had its moments.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Tuesday at 8:19 AM

Gee how lucky can you, wee how lucky can you, wow how lucky can you get?,

by Anonymousreply 107Last Tuesday at 9:14 AM

There are just too many superhero movie sequels and live-action sequels of animated Disney movies to make, OP!

by Anonymousreply 108Last Tuesday at 9:27 AM

Another good one: Telefon with Charles Bronson

by Anonymousreply 109Last Tuesday at 12:01 PM

The first X-rated movie I saw...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110Last Tuesday at 4:25 PM

The allegorical Dawn of the Dead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111Last Tuesday at 5:21 PM

I'm surprised Ken Russell's "Women In Love" hasn't been discussed. One of my favorite all-time films and the one responsible for my falling eternally in love with the gorgeous Alan Bates. It was, in my opinion, the perfect movie.

by Anonymousreply 112Last Tuesday at 5:48 PM

R112 Alan Bates was Birkin, right? Who was Gerald?

by Anonymousreply 113Last Tuesday at 5:50 PM

R113, Oliver Reed

by Anonymousreply 114Last Tuesday at 6:11 PM

R106 it was a sequel - she was under contract!

by Anonymousreply 115Last Tuesday at 6:13 PM

Don't forget American Film Theatre...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116Last Tuesday at 6:43 PM

What is The Chinaman Syndrome about?

by Anonymousreply 117Last Tuesday at 7:44 PM

R117 It's about an hour and 45 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 118Last Tuesday at 7:47 PM

70s/early 80s movies that take place in NYC are my fav: King of Comedy, Goodbye Girl, The Fan, Tootsie

by Anonymousreply 119Last Tuesday at 7:48 PM

That's Entertainment!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120Last Tuesday at 7:48 PM

R79, so because one audience in one theater in Time's Square reacted that way (allegedly), that means ALL audiences everywher reacted that way and still react that way? Are you really that ignorant and intellectually myopic? What am I saying? Of course you are.

by Anonymousreply 121Last Wednesday at 12:24 AM

R89, you're yet another sniveling, insecure, whiney, right wing white guy complaining about imagined "misandry." What about all the overt misogyny taking place on camera and behind the camera during the 70s? Funny how you spoiled, spineless white men never want to talk about that. You've used her position to victimize people based on race and gender but have the f**king nerve to claim that you're the victim. You're just a contemptible, miserable excuse for a man and your white male panic at seeing the people you've demeaned stand up for themselves is pathetic. I'd tell you to man up but you wouldn't know how.

by Anonymousreply 122Last Wednesday at 12:35 AM

[R122] Insecure, dumb, batshit SJW idiot triggered by an informed opinion. You’re the one fulminating with hated, racism and victimhood. Just keep your greedy hands out of my wallet while claiming others have stolen from you. Stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 123Last Wednesday at 6:43 AM

Another AFT....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124Last Wednesday at 6:55 AM

R114 Right, Oliver Reed, miscast as Gerald, the icy blond northerner.

by Anonymousreply 125Last Wednesday at 7:01 AM

R121 What are those scenes intended to be if not comic? Tragic? Social commentary? They are a running gag that clearly serve as comic relief as does their ultimate payoff. Myopia is nothing to your self important blindness and tone deafness.

by Anonymousreply 126Last Wednesday at 10:50 AM

R85 Gena Rowlands gave one of the great performances in that one. Cassavetes was incredibly lucky to have her, but even she couldn't save some of his weirder unconvincing self-indulgent crap.

by Anonymousreply 127Last Wednesday at 12:51 PM

Groupies (1970) Documentary on rock 'n' roll groupies

by Anonymousreply 128Last Wednesday at 2:44 PM

Straw Dogs (1972) Peckinpah's controversial film still packs a punch

by Anonymousreply 129Last Wednesday at 2:46 PM

The Landlord (1970) Comedy-drama dealing with race from director Hal Ashby and Spike Lee couldn't have done it better.

by Anonymousreply 130Last Wednesday at 2:55 PM

Farewell, Uncle Tom (1970) The ultimate film dealing with the slave trade from the makers of Mondo Cane. It makes Mandingo look like an episode of The Jeffersons.

by Anonymousreply 131Last Wednesday at 3:04 PM

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970) 'There's never been anything like it!' That was the advertising tag line and it's apt.

by Anonymousreply 132Last Wednesday at 3:07 PM

Tales from the Crypt (1972) The best of the Amicus anthology films

by Anonymousreply 133Last Wednesday at 3:08 PM

The Boys in the Band (1970) Definitive version of Mart Crowley's play with the original Broadway cast

by Anonymousreply 134Last Wednesday at 3:12 PM

All the President's Men 75

The Candidate 72

by Anonymousreply 135Last Wednesday at 3:13 PM

The Beguiled (1971) the best collaboration between star Clint Eastwood and director Don Seigel. Viva Geraldine Page and Elizabeth Hartman . Skip the remake

by Anonymousreply 136Last Wednesday at 3:16 PM

Another AFT....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137Last Wednesday at 3:17 PM

Blood and Lace (1970) The sickest GP/PG film ever made.

by Anonymousreply 138Last Wednesday at 3:18 PM

Caged Heat (1974) Jonathan Demme's women in prison flick is along with Caged (1950) the best there is.

by Anonymousreply 139Last Wednesday at 3:21 PM

Caligula (1979) An X-rated orgy of sex and violence from producer Bob Penthouse Guccione with such respected across as Hellen Mirren, Peter O'Toole, John Gielgud and Malcolm McDowell

by Anonymousreply 140Last Wednesday at 3:24 PM

Bedknobs And Broomsticks

by Anonymousreply 141Last Wednesday at 3:28 PM

Doctors Wives (1970) Pure trash and camp heaven. It contains graphic scenes of surgery and Dyan Cannon's opening line "God I feel horny" Seeing is disbelieving.

by Anonymousreply 142Last Wednesday at 3:35 PM

Bergman's Face to Face (1976) with a truly harrowing performance by Liv Ulman as a psychiatrist who suffers a mental collapse. Liv deserved the Oscar that went to Miss Faye for Network.

by Anonymousreply 143Last Wednesday at 3:39 PM

It would kill ya to include a link, r142?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144Last Wednesday at 3:43 PM

Gable & Lombard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145Last Wednesday at 3:47 PM

Can't Stop the Music allegedly directed by Nancy Walker is a 1980 film, but it signaled (or caused) the end of the disco era and features the Village people and Bruce Jenner.

by Anonymousreply 146Last Wednesday at 5:09 PM

Airplane (1980) another end of the 70s movie that put a capper on the Airport movies

by Anonymousreply 147Last Wednesday at 5:16 PM

Little Murders (1971) Alan Arkin directed this time capsule-worthy film based on Jules Feiffer's off-Broadway play. 50 years later its portrait of a kill or be killed urban NY doesn't seem so exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 148Last Wednesday at 5:25 PM

Play Misty For Me (1971) Eastwood's directorial debut made a decade before Fatal Attraction features an indelible performance by Jessica Walter as a fling who won't to be tossed aside.

by Anonymousreply 149Last Wednesday at 5:32 PM

The French Connection, ‘71.

by Anonymousreply 150Last Wednesday at 5:40 PM

The King of Marvin Gardens????? What a fucking DUD!

As far as the "dog faced" female leads, do you remember the male leads? ALL DOGS - Dustin Hoffman, Al Pacino, Elliott Gould, Jack Nicholson. Alan Alda, Robert DeNiro, Donald Sutherland, Sylvester Stallone, John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Richard Dreyfus, Michael Douglas, Bruce Dern, Gene Wilder, old fat Brando - not a Cary Grant OR Rock Hudson among them.

by Anonymousreply 151Last Wednesday at 5:47 PM

^You are OUT of your mind. Robert De Niro at 26 was fucking smoking! Are you kidding me with this nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 152Last Wednesday at 5:48 PM

He was greasy, R152.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153Last Wednesday at 5:51 PM

[quote]potty mouth dialogue

Please tell me you're not a man.

by Anonymousreply 154Last Wednesday at 5:54 PM

R153 He's adorable in that photo. Where's the grease?

by Anonymousreply 155Last Wednesday at 5:56 PM

You dog. Get out of my bedroom!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156Last Wednesday at 6:01 PM

I win, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157Last Wednesday at 6:40 PM

The Hindenburg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158Last Wednesday at 7:31 PM

Manson a 1973 Oscar-nominated documentary that features exclusive interviews with Manson family members not arrested in the two murder cases. Fascinating and an effective companion piece to the 1976 telefilm Helter Skelter.

by Anonymousreply 159Last Wednesday at 7:54 PM

R152 I never thought De Niro was smoking hot, but he cleaned up nicely in The Last Tycoon (1976).

by Anonymousreply 160Last Wednesday at 8:13 PM

Escape From The Planet Of The Apes (1971)

by Anonymousreply 161Last Wednesday at 8:15 PM

R151 Agreed The King of Marvin Gardens is a muddled and pointless. Louis Malle's Atlantic City (1980) is so much better.

by Anonymousreply 162Last Wednesday at 8:16 PM

Hi, Mom! (1970) early De Palma film is a freewheeling comedy with Robert De Niro and features a b/w segment that some found harrowing. "Rated X and little seen at the time, 'Hi, Mom!' holds up remarkably well"-Armond White FILM COMMENT

by Anonymousreply 163Last Wednesday at 8:38 PM

I agree with R151. De Niro when new was scrawny and unpleasant. Liked him in The Last Tycoon, though.

by Anonymousreply 164Last Wednesday at 8:39 PM

The king of Marvin gardens may not have been the best example to use but personally I still found it a good watch and it’s still better than most of the stuff that is made today. I love the way it is filmed and the shots of Atlantic city, the story is intriguing enough with Ellen burstyn slowly unravelling and I always find Bruce Dern interesting to watch.

As for the leading men being dogs, I am partial to young Robert de Niro in most of his films during the 70s and al Pacino too in Bobby Deerfield and the godfather.

by Anonymousreply 165Last Wednesday at 9:36 PM

R123, the only thing your opinion is informed with is the spoiled, immaturity of a pampered, entitled man-baby. Nobody cares about you or what's in your wallet and the people you've excluded and demeaned deserve EVERYTHING they've been denied, given what they've had to tolerate from bigoted, sexist morons like you. Quit your sniveling. You losers are the ones who are triggered by the sight of anyone who isn't a white man getting any attention. You've been catered to your whole life and all it has made you is a selfish, narcissistic weakling. Every movie you've ever seen growing up revolved around white men and catered to your ego and that's all you can handle. Anything contrary to it comes around and all the bitch comes out of you, just a lot of blubbering and self-pity. You're such fake tough guys. Why don't you go trash another government building with your lowlife, Q-idiot fellow trash, you coward?

by Anonymousreply 166Last Wednesday at 10:35 PM

What's Up Doc

The Way We Were

Saturday Night Fever

by Anonymousreply 167Last Wednesday at 10:43 PM

R126, read this slowly and I'll explain it to you. Those scenes when Matthau mistakenly thinks the Asian men don't speak English or when he is flummoxed to realize that the police chief he has been conversing with so effectively is African American or the scene at the end when he mistakenly refers to the undercover cop with long hair as "Miss" are all designed to show how unhip Matthau's character is; the objects of his comments are not what you're laughing at; it's Matthau's cluelessness, his rapidly growing obsolete thinking in a changing society. The movie itself is NOT racist at all since the Asian men are not themselves portrayed disrespectfully but as intelligent businessmen, and there are numerous non-stereotypical African-American characters in the movie like the police chief and the uniformed cop who goes down into the subway to provide visual commentary on the hostage situation or the Black woman who works in the subway office alongside a bunch of white men. My favorite moment in the movie is when they introduce a Black man who at first looks like your stereotypical "street hustler" until later on we find out that there's more to him than that -- he's also a Vietnam Veteran. The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is an excellent portrayal of the regular people in New York of all races as opposed to the grotesqueries you see in, say, Taxi Driver (not to criticize Taxi Driver which is a masterpiece). Pelham, within the context of the early 70s was very progressive in its racial attitudes. You're just fixating on one moment and misinterpreting it.

by Anonymousreply 168Last Wednesday at 10:50 PM

R151 Young Pacino and De Niro were both incredibly fuckable (perhaps my dream three way is them circa The Godfather Part Two), what are you on? Do you not like short guys? I fancied Donald Sutherland in some movies (Don't Look Now, Klute) because of his vibe moreso than his looks. I think Gould was hot as well, specifically in The Long Goodbye. Yum. The dudes were more ethnic, for sure, but they weren't all dogs! Hoffman is repulsive though, I'll give you that one.

by Anonymousreply 169Last Wednesday at 10:51 PM

He's very endearing in Stanley & Iris, r160.

by Anonymousreply 170Last Thursday at 7:35 AM

[R166] Demented SJW cunt. Go burn a Wendy's, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 171Last Thursday at 8:45 AM

[R166] You don't know who you're talking to or what you're talking about, dumb cunt. You don't have an intelligent grasp of art, film, culture or history - all you have is your quiver of lame insults and your SJW self-righteousness.

by Anonymousreply 172Last Thursday at 8:51 AM

R112 WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU???? WOMEN IN LOVE WAS MADE IN THE 60'S !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 173Last Thursday at 9:13 AM

^I'd like to see both you and your antagonist put in a burlap sack together and thrown overboard.

by Anonymousreply 174Last Thursday at 9:16 AM

I'm not r112, r173, but there's 1980 films being mentioned so why not 1969?

by Anonymousreply 175Last Thursday at 9:18 AM

I know I saw Women in Love in 1970 because of where I was living then, and according to IMDB, it was indeed released in the US in March of that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176Last Thursday at 9:21 AM

I NEW ALAN VERY WELL AND I AM NOT GOING TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS

by Anonymousreply 177Last Thursday at 9:27 AM

K

by Anonymousreply 178Last Thursday at 9:27 AM

"Sweet Kill " with a FABULOUS Tab Hunter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179Last Thursday at 9:30 AM

CINDERELLA LIBERTY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180Last Thursday at 9:32 AM

PAPER MOON

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181Last Thursday at 9:37 AM

DEATH ON THE NILE

THE HAUNTING OF JULIA AKA FULL CIRCLE

FOLLOW ME

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182Last Thursday at 9:44 AM

ROLLERBALL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183Last Thursday at 10:04 AM

HARRY AND WALTER GO TO NEW YORK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184Last Thursday at 10:04 AM

FREEBIE AND THE BEAN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185Last Thursday at 10:06 AM

R168 Gotcha! Now you can go back to you favorite hobby: picking dingleberries.

by Anonymousreply 186Last Thursday at 10:25 AM

R182 The Haunting of Julia aka Full Circle is a tedious, uneventful horror film that takes forever to get nowhere and in that respect is right up there with 1972s Night of Dark Shadows. Farrow's 1971 film See No Evil (1971) is far better even if it isn't outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 187Last Thursday at 10:37 AM

The Baby (1972) Wonderfully perverse with Ruth Roman going full Joan Crawford as the mother with a mentally challenged fully grown adult male in diapers. And I bet you won't see the twist ending coming.

by Anonymousreply 188Last Thursday at 10:45 AM

You'll Like My Mother (1972) One of Duke's few starring roles in feature films is an atmospheric thriller reminiscent of Die! Die! My Darling, Rosemary's Baby, Dead of Night and Misery. Duke is good as the lady in peril and Rosemary Murphy scores as the villainous mother-in-law . Good B movie.

by Anonymousreply 189Last Thursday at 10:52 AM

r188...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190Last Thursday at 10:56 AM

Sisters (1972) De Palma's nightmarish reworking of Hitchcock's Rear Window and Psycho complete with a score by Bernard Hermann. De Palma makes effective use of the split and the film is a lot more fun than the overrated Dressed to Kill!

by Anonymousreply 191Last Thursday at 11:01 AM

R176 Jackson won the Oscar in 1971 for Women in Love. It was released in the US in 1970.

by Anonymousreply 192Last Thursday at 11:14 AM

There's only one thing wrong with the Davis baby...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193Last Thursday at 11:16 AM

2 low budget, independent horror films by Curtis Harrington What's the Matter with Helen (1971) and The Killing Kind (1973)

by Anonymousreply 194Last Thursday at 11:24 AM

Suspiria (1977) Surrealistic horror from maestro Dario Argento who's style clearly influenced De Palma.

by Anonymousreply 195Last Thursday at 11:29 AM

Chatterbox

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196Last Thursday at 11:30 AM

American Hot Wax 1978 with Fran Drescher and Jay Leno

by Anonymousreply 197Last Thursday at 11:32 AM

The Eiger Sanction

Okay, it's a bit homophobic, but George Kennedy has some great lines.

by Anonymousreply 198Last Thursday at 11:33 AM

R187 I happen to LOVE that tedious, uneventful film. It's delicate, it's atmospheric, Mia is wonderful in it, and if you had children you would understand.

by Anonymousreply 199Last Thursday at 11:33 AM

Walking Tall 1973 Rabble rousing sleeper that Rolling Stone Magazine hailed as the 'Best American Movie of the Year'

by Anonymousreply 200Last Thursday at 11:36 AM

Paul Bartel's Private Parts (1972)

by Anonymousreply 201Last Thursday at 11:38 AM

Watching Pacino dance almost turned me straight.

by Anonymousreply 202Last Thursday at 11:38 AM

CARNAL KNOWLEDGE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203Last Thursday at 11:39 AM

The Sentinel (1977) truly sick horror film from a major studio: Universal

by Anonymousreply 204Last Thursday at 11:44 AM

Puzzle of a Downfall Child (1971) Miss Faye as a fashion model with psychological problems. Faye is quite good.

by Anonymousreply 205Last Thursday at 11:54 AM

R205 it IS one of my favorite movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206Last Thursday at 11:55 AM

R199 Understand what?

by Anonymousreply 207Last Thursday at 12:07 PM

The End (1978), with Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, Joanne Woodward, Kristy McNichol, Norman Fell, and Dom DeLuise. Just saw it for the first time. 1970s gem (and hard to find).

by Anonymousreply 208Last Thursday at 12:10 PM

Night Moves - Gene Hackman, Melanie Griffin (very young) - from 1975

Will be shown on TCM Friday 7/23 if you haven't seen it.

by Anonymousreply 209Last Thursday at 12:13 PM

R206 Puzzle of a Downfall Child is a must for Fayshionistas! Costume and hairstyle changes to rival Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 210Last Thursday at 12:14 PM

I always thought Faye looked a bit chinese, is it just me ?

by Anonymousreply 211Last Thursday at 12:16 PM

R211 No. It's the cheekbones.

by Anonymousreply 212Last Thursday at 12:17 PM

the eyes too

by Anonymousreply 213Last Thursday at 12:18 PM

how do you call white folks who have chinese eyes again ?

by Anonymousreply 214Last Thursday at 12:19 PM

The Haunting of Julia (1976) has nothing on Don't Look Now (1973) which it is reminiscent of. Peter Hanson's blog 'Every '70s Movie tags Julia as 'lame' and Richard Winters on his blog Scopophilia gives it a 2/10 and says that it's no surprise why the studio left this one on the shelf for 5 years. The film's running time feels like 5 years. It should have been left on the shelf.

by Anonymousreply 215Last Thursday at 12:28 PM

again I like it and I find it superior to DON'T LOOK NOW which makes no sense at all, and is just porn in disguise

by Anonymousreply 216Last Thursday at 12:30 PM

are the the old jewish Mia hater frau who 's harassing me on all threads again ?

by Anonymousreply 217Last Thursday at 12:32 PM

^ wandered in from The Ladies' Home Journal

by Anonymousreply 218Last Thursday at 12:32 PM

"oooh littke shiska got fingered boooohoooo big deal, why was the world not so concerned when my mother died in Birkenau and was made into a lamp shade ?" is that you ?

by Anonymousreply 219Last Thursday at 12:33 PM

LIPSTICK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220Last Thursday at 12:35 PM

R215 let me give you PORTIERE DI NOTTE then

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221Last Thursday at 12:36 PM

The Haunting of Julia has been approved by the FDA as a safe, non-habit forming sleep aid.

by Anonymousreply 222Last Thursday at 12:39 PM

R209 Thanks. It's an Arthur Penn movie that I've never seen and that somehow slipped under the radar.

by Anonymousreply 223Last Thursday at 12:42 PM

you hate this movie with such a passion, interesting, I'll watch

by Anonymousreply 224Last Thursday at 12:42 PM

Can we please get back on topic? How about some recommendations for OP...

by Anonymousreply 225Last Thursday at 12:44 PM

for R222 (sorry about your mum in birkenau)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226Last Thursday at 12:45 PM

R224 It's on YouTube. Don't say I didn't warn you.

by Anonymousreply 227Last Thursday at 12:48 PM

R224 Unless you have children, it's advised that you skip it.

by Anonymousreply 228Last Thursday at 12:51 PM

I'm a man and I have children you dumbass

by Anonymousreply 229Last Thursday at 12:53 PM

SOME MEN HERE HAVE CHILDREN YES !

by Anonymousreply 230Last Thursday at 12:54 PM

Stay Hungry (1976), with Jeff Bridges, Sally Field, and Arnold Schwarzeneggar. Very, very 1970s!

by Anonymousreply 231Last Thursday at 12:55 PM

Get ready for...Stockard!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232Last Thursday at 12:56 PM

I have kids and I still like pole, will I burn in hell, stupid yankees ? And I LOVE full circle aka the haunting of Julia

by Anonymousreply 233Last Thursday at 12:56 PM

SloppyHo is deranged. Don't set him off, guys.

by Anonymousreply 234Last Thursday at 12:59 PM

R234 my sexuality is just not defined by women. Not controlled by women, not censored by women. Feminists believe they've won ? they haven't. I've gaslit my wife so hard CHARLES BOYER would give me an award. There an obscure aussie film called Lantana who has it all. The frau inspector asks the suspect" does you wife know you're gay ? I suppose it depends on how good you are at deceiving her?" to which he replies "or how good she is at deceiving HERSELF". I am not going to be shamed or controlled by fucking babykillers. I'm a free man

by Anonymousreply 235Last Thursday at 1:08 PM

R229 No one said you didn't have children. What are you trying to prove? Why so angry? Besides everyone has heard of artificial insemination.

by Anonymousreply 236Last Thursday at 1:11 PM

^ or adoption.

by Anonymousreply 237Last Thursday at 1:12 PM

R235 = Exhibit A of derangement

by Anonymousreply 238Last Thursday at 1:13 PM

The Adventurers (1970) At 3 hours it feels like a mini-series, but along with The Other Side of Midnight (1977) it's an example glossy 70s trash at its best.

by Anonymousreply 239Last Thursday at 1:18 PM

The Out of Towners (1970) Written directly for the screen by Neil Simon it's funny and lively and the action is non stop. NY makes a great antagonist.

by Anonymousreply 240Last Thursday at 1:21 PM

Young Frankenstein (1974) Mel Brooks disciplined film. A minor classic.

by Anonymousreply 241Last Thursday at 1:22 PM

The Other Side of Midnight was rather fun glossy trash, r239.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242Last Thursday at 1:22 PM

R236 I'm angry because of all the assholes who trash movies some posters like. What's the point ? They're not superior are they ? if anything , they're stupid; Who cares what critics say, if a movie resonates with you ? especially coming from fraus, who have nothing to do on this board, that's rich

by Anonymousreply 243Last Thursday at 1:26 PM

Joe (1970) Made when the generation gap was at it's widest. Controversial and provocative film directed by John 'Rocky' Avildsen. Peter Boyle in the role that put him on the map and should have netted him an Oscar nomination and a young Susan Sarandon

by Anonymousreply 244Last Thursday at 1:27 PM

R243 You're just plain angry bitch face it. Kids will do that to you!

by Anonymousreply 245Last Thursday at 1:27 PM

R238 typical feminist "argument" = you're deranged . You will care, believe you me, when the collective madness and brainwashing will stop (= sooner than you think=), and you'll realise abortion IS murder

by Anonymousreply 246Last Thursday at 1:28 PM

R245 you're a freak , but you knew that

by Anonymousreply 247Last Thursday at 1:29 PM

The Boyfriend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248Last Thursday at 1:31 PM

Now that these cunts choke on their vomit, back to the 70's movies please

by Anonymousreply 249Last Thursday at 1:31 PM

R249 Don't preach, teach. No one is stopping you from posting about a movie. You don't need anyone's permission. Ignore what bothers you.

by Anonymousreply 250Last Thursday at 1:36 PM

R243 R246 R247 R249

Lead by your fine example.

by Anonymousreply 251Last Thursday at 1:40 PM

The Apple (1980) Has that 70s disco feel right up there with Can't Stop the Music and Xanadu.

by Anonymousreply 252Last Thursday at 1:43 PM

Let's see..Oh YES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253Last Thursday at 1:44 PM

Oh, yes don't forget Cronenberg's The Brood (1979) the title refers to children who the manifestation of parental rage How topical.

by Anonymousreply 254Last Thursday at 1:51 PM

Isabelle was so intense

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255Last Thursday at 1:54 PM

Adele H is one my faves. Because of that film, I went to Halifax (Nova Scotia) to see the filming locations. I have seen all of Truffaut's films and I like them all (some more than others, of course).

by Anonymousreply 256Last Thursday at 1:57 PM

really R256 ? wow, that' dedication. For R250, my special gift to you sweetheart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257Last Thursday at 1:59 PM

In The Brood the red-hooded children seem to be an homage to the red-hooded dwarf figure in Roeg's Don't Look Now. The film is a metaphor for how parents with issues pass them on to their unfortunate brood creating monstrous freaks.

by Anonymousreply 258Last Thursday at 2:04 PM

Deathdream (1972) aka Dead of Night Bob Clark's reworking of the classic short story 'The Monkey's Paw'. A mother wishes her son who was killed in Vietnam back with disastrous results.

by Anonymousreply 259Last Thursday at 2:07 PM

Homebodies (1974) A determined group of seniors fight back with everything they have to stop developers from tearing down their longtime home. Part black comedy, part horror film.

by Anonymousreply 260Last Thursday at 2:14 PM

Taking Off (1971) Milos Forman's first American film and very funny.

by Anonymousreply 261Last Thursday at 2:16 PM

It's me, r260...

by Anonymousreply 262Last Thursday at 2:27 PM

r60...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263Last Thursday at 2:29 PM

^r260

by Anonymousreply 264Last Thursday at 2:29 PM

Due to a cetsil wind, Dystor has vectored us into a 360-torson of slow traffic. Now, we'll maintain this Borden hold until we get a fortamagnics clearance from Malnix. ~ Dean Martin, Airport 1970

by Anonymousreply 265Last Thursday at 2:30 PM

le petit prince

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266Last Thursday at 2:45 PM

Marjoe (1972), Oscar winner for Best Documentary, about actor Marjoe Gortner who was a child (evangelical) preacher. In the documentary, he's all grown up and reveals that his evangelical past was a total crock. Watch it on Tubi, for free!

by Anonymousreply 267Last Thursday at 3:16 PM

Trick Baby (1972) Directed by Larry Yust director of Homebodies. 2 con men, one white the other black use race to pull off a series of cons.

by Anonymousreply 268Last Thursday at 3:53 PM

Next Stop, Greenwich Village (1976)

by Anonymousreply 269Last Thursday at 3:55 PM

that was my introduction to Ellen Greene and Lois Smith, r269.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270Last Thursday at 3:59 PM

R270, and Christopher Walken!

by Anonymousreply 271Last Thursday at 4:03 PM

[quote]Best film about NYC in the 1970s

Next Stop, Greenwich Village was about New York in the 1950s, r269.

by Anonymousreply 272Last Thursday at 4:03 PM

R272, LOL. Oops. I meant that it is the best 1970s film that portrays NYC.

by Anonymousreply 273Last Thursday at 4:06 PM

And Jeff Goldblum, r271.

by Anonymousreply 274Last Thursday at 4:09 PM

I think there are now more old movies than a person can watch in a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 275Last Thursday at 4:15 PM

R270 Huggy Bear and Shelly Winters--what more could you ask for?

by Anonymousreply 276Last Thursday at 4:20 PM

Another AFT...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277Last Thursday at 4:26 PM

THE GO-BETWEEN is the perfect film for me . Perfect everything. Script, direction, photography, score, sound , costumes ,sets, and most of all acting, from Alan , Julie, Maggie, Eddie, everyone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278Last Thursday at 4:33 PM

Surely this has been mentioned...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279Last Thursday at 4:34 PM

Yes, R278, and it is NOT a '60s film. You FINALLY got it right.

by Anonymousreply 280Last Thursday at 4:35 PM

Oh DO shut up

by Anonymousreply 281Last Thursday at 4:36 PM

NASTY HABITS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282Last Thursday at 4:44 PM

R177 'I new Alan very well' Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 283Last Thursday at 5:27 PM

BLUEBEARD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284Last Thursday at 6:22 PM

The Blue Bird

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285Last Thursday at 6:22 PM

Bluebeard (1972) feels like a more opulent Hammer film and watchable if one can get over the 70s misogynistic tone since virtually none of the wives is likable and they incarnate the 7 Deadly Sins. Welch is embarrassingly bad , but Heatherton who has the largest female is likable and looks great. Directed by Hollywood vet Edward Dmytryk who directed Heatherton in 1964s Where Love Has Gone.

by Anonymousreply 286Last Thursday at 8:25 PM

^ largest female role

by Anonymousreply 287Last Thursday at 8:26 PM

R279 Never saw Mame (1974), but it looks dreadful and Bruce Davison! WTF! It premiered at Radio City Musical Hall and seemed to die a quiet death.

by Anonymousreply 288Last Thursday at 8:34 PM

R186 You really are stupid. Haven't you figured it out yet? That's what I've been doing this whole time -- AND YOU'RE THE DINGLEBERRY.

by Anonymousreply 289Last Thursday at 8:39 PM

Was their ever a film version of Follies?

by Anonymousreply 290Last Thursday at 8:48 PM

Beyond The Valley of The Chinaman Syndrome was memorable.

by Anonymousreply 291Last Thursday at 8:49 PM

Warriors, Come out to play

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292Last Thursday at 8:54 PM

"The Stunt Man" with Peter O'Toole, Barbara Hershey and Steve Railsback was filmed in 1978, though not released until 1980.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293Last Thursday at 9:06 PM

Hey R17!! Lighten the fuck up Mary, with your pretentious, highfalutin, Boomer-bashing bullshit. It must be thrilling to know you, sour puss. Just shut it. Go watch your endless and insufferable “Fast and Furious” sequels.

by Anonymousreply 294Last Thursday at 9:15 PM

The Academy Award winning "Thank God It's Friday" from 1978

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295Last Thursday at 11:48 PM

Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, 1971

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296Last Thursday at 11:53 PM

I just rewatched “the boy friend” and was so impressed by the busby Berkeley style numbers. The film overall is so funny and charming and well performed. I’m really so into Ken Russell films, they’re so wicked and irreverent.

by Anonymousreply 297Yesterday at 1:21 AM

Ordinary People came out 1980, so technically it's not a 70s movie, but it sure feels like one.

I remember seeing it on Dutch TV some years later and it was one of the most devastating movies I had seen then and since.

Redford directed another movie in 1998 called Milagro, the Beanfield War, which inexplicably to me never got the acolades it deserved. Great ensemble cast, great performances!

Places of the Heart is another one, came out in 1998.

by Anonymousreply 298Yesterday at 4:19 AM

Most of these films are objectively terrible without nostalgic reference points to redeem them. I don’t know what happened to the technical side of processing film stock during the era but so many of these films have an ugly, dingy look, as if the world were dipped in grease and covered in a layer a dust.

by Anonymousreply 299Yesterday at 6:26 AM

THE GO-BETWEEN is a timeless masterpiece IMO

by Anonymousreply 300a day ago

You bet your ass, r295!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301a day ago

Klute , the only movie in which Fonda jr is tolerable (she plays a manipulative, sex addicted whore = herself)

by Anonymousreply 302a day ago

Performance with Mick Jagger, James Fox and Anita Pallenberg directed by Donald Cammell and Nicolas Roeg. Completed in 1968, but not released till 1970.

Roeg's Walkabout (1971), Don't Look Now (1973) and The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)

by Anonymousreply 303a day ago

The Bad News Bears (1976) Foul mouthed and politically incorrect comedy that like another 70s film starring Walter Matthau, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) probably couldn't be made today. Directed by Michael Ritchie responsible for The Candidate (1972) and Smile (1975).

by Anonymousreply 304a day ago

I forgot about “performance” I watched it again recently and loved it more the second time. It’s one of those films one can watch again and again because there’s always something new to get from it.

by Anonymousreply 305a day ago

R305 Watch another film starring James Fox 1963s The Servant. Fox's role is similar to that in Performance. He plays a patrician who suffers degradation through his relationship with his man servant. The Servant was directed by Joseph Losey with a screenplay by Harold Pinter both of whom teamed up for 1971s The Go-Between.

by Anonymousreply 306a day ago

He was also in “king rat” where he develops a sort of man crush on a handsome charismatic George segal. He liked these subservient roles it seems.

by Anonymousreply 307a day ago

"Matilda" 1978 yes this real, the least realistic animal costume in movie history, and one of the movies that helped kill Radio City Music Hall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308a day ago

Benji (1974) and For the Love of Benji (1977).

by Anonymousreply 30921 hours ago

Providence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31020 hours ago

I just noticed the credits at the end of r310. Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 31120 hours ago

I wanted to watch a movie it will be providence with elaine stricht. Elaine was one of the great dramatic actresses of her generation ,alas, she was always eclipsed by the more famous Elaine Stritch

by Anonymousreply 31220 hours ago

R308 Made me think of the controversial Australian film Wake in Fright (1971) aka Outback which contained footage of an actual kangaroo hunt

'I saw it when it premiered at Cannes in 1971, and it left me speechless' -Martin Scorsese

by Anonymousreply 31320 hours ago

She was *no* Ellen Burstryn, r312.

by Anonymousreply 31420 hours ago

I expect providence to be a huge bore, butI'll give it a try

by Anonymousreply 31520 hours ago

R314 TELL ME THE MOVIE CREDITS ARE NOT LIKE THAT

by Anonymousreply 31620 hours ago

SloppyHo is a big bore!

by Anonymousreply 31720 hours ago

WELL XCUSE ME dirk bogarde = snoozefest champion

by Anonymousreply 31820 hours ago

SHE'S MY SISTER AND MY DAUGHTER!!!

IT WAS AN ABORTION, MICHAEL!!!

by Anonymousreply 31919 hours ago

Messiah of Evil (1973) aka Dead People. low budget horror written and directed by Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz who wrote American Graffiti. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 32017 hours ago

The Wicker Man (1973). Love it and I've been to the filming locations in Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 32117 hours ago

Shivers (1974)

Carrie (1976)

Ice Castles (1978)

Superman (1977)

Deep Throat (1971)

by Anonymousreply 32217 hours ago

TOMMY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32317 hours ago

R322 Hahaha, Deep Throat.

"To fuck is fine, but a blowjob's divine."

by Anonymousreply 32416 hours ago

“To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gall bladder!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32516 hours ago

325 replies and no mention of ME ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32615 hours ago

R304, Both of those Matthau movies have been remade today with Billy Bob Thornton and Denzel Washington respectively.

by Anonymousreply 32715 hours ago

Rolling Thunder starring William Devane and Tommy Lee Jones as a couple of returning Vietnam Vets who have to pick up their guns and go to war down in Mexico when Devane's wife and son get murdered right after he comes home. It's a damn good lean mean crime story.

by Anonymousreply 32815 hours ago

The tense thriller Deadly Weapons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32915 hours ago

R327 With the racial epithets removed.

by Anonymousreply 33014 hours ago

The truly great era of films was the late '30's-50's.

by Anonymousreply 33114 hours ago

Woodstock (1970) a late 60s time capsule.

by Anonymousreply 33212 hours ago

The Lickerish Quartet (1970) and Score (1973) Adult cinema pioneer Radley Metzger's X-rated 'art house erotica' As Henry Paris, Metzger made XXX films such as the opening of Misty Beethoven (1976)

by Anonymousreply 33312 hours ago

Another AFT...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33412 hours ago

Very surprising, R326, I was going to mention that earlier but figured someone must have noted it upthread. Also for Cabaret and Something for Everyone...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33512 hours ago

Over 300 replies can only mean some repeats, r335. The Little Prince has been mentioned, but this just popped up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33612 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!