Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Covid out of control in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It's been a month since California's re-opening and doctors are seeing a troubling trend: A spike in cases - and experts fear it could get worse.

Los Angeles County reported 1,315 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday. That's almost 10 times the number of cases the county saw exactly one month ago, one day before California's reopening: 135 cases.

๐‘ฐ๐’• ๐’˜๐’‚๐’” ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’”๐’Š๐’™๐’•๐’‰ ๐’„๐’๐’๐’”๐’†๐’„๐’–๐’•๐’Š๐’—๐’† ๐’…๐’‚๐’š ๐’๐’‡ ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’…๐’‚๐’Š๐’๐’š ๐’๐’†๐’˜ ๐’„๐’‚๐’”๐’†๐’” ๐’†๐’™๐’„๐’†๐’†๐’…๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ 1,000.

"Community transmission of COVID-19 in Los Angeles County has increased to a moderate level and may continue to increase unless everyone consistently and proactively takes steps to reduce their risk of infection and the spread of COVID-19," county officials said in a statement Wednesday.

In addition to more cases, the number of hospitalizations has also been increasing.

The medical director of the emergency department of Cedars-Sinai worries the spike could get worse.

"All of a sudden in the past couple weeks, we have seen a seven-fold increase in the number of people coming to the emergency room with COVID-related issues," said Dr. Sam Torbati.

In June, Torbati said his team went from barely seeing any cases to up to eight new cases a day. Eighty percent of them are adults between 20 and 40 years old.

"Right now we're seeing more young people infected because they're more active and proportionally less-vaccinated. They're not wearing face masks," he said. "They're not protected so they're going to get infected."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 25, 2021 10:50 PM

It's basically Tennessee out there.

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2021 10:48 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2021 10:51 AM

I feel bad for those who are medically contraindicated to get the vaccine.

It's herd immunity that will protect them. Yet, there are so many obstinate people out there who won't get vaccinated because they have a less chance of dying with the vaccine (?) or "individual" rights. I'm pretty sure a vast majority of them have either 1) been vaccinated for something else and/or 2) had their child vaccinated.

But, this is the world we live in. It's just now all out in the open how many incredibly stupid people are amongst us. I mean, the 2016 election was revealing, but the initial reluctance to wearing masks substantiated the ignorance, and this is just the icing on the cake.

I guess it's all about acceptance, learning to align oneself with the realities, and no longer emotionally investing oneself in doing the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2021 10:56 AM

"the initial reluctance to wearing masks"

As you undoubtedly recall, initially, we were told emphatically by public health officials that we must not wear masks. That awful advice was a public health disaster.

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2021 11:00 AM

To those deliberately unvaccinated- reap what you sow.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2021 11:04 AM

As you undoubtedly recall, there is not scientific evidence that wearing a mask is hazardous to one's health unless you are part of a minority with major respiratory issues where mask-wearing is contraindicated.

As you undoubtedly recall, the virus is an airborne virus. Airborne viruses involve wearing facial masks to reduce transmission as precautionary measures. Anybody who works in a hospital or has been an infectious patient knows this.

The message was never "Avoid wearing masks at all costs." And if that's what you got out of it, then you have selective hearing.

As you undoubtedly recall, when the messaging was finally correct and appropriate for mask-wearing, the knuckle-draggers who don't understand herd immunity, and fail to understand that they've probably already been vaccinated for other viruses, were the ones who raised the biggest stink about the contradictions of the mask-wearing messaging.

So, while public health officials have not been immaculate in the way they've conducted their jobs as a monolith, that blemish only lasted for a few weeks for those who really gave a shit.

by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2021 11:12 AM

god ddam anti vaxers are fukin ev thing up......shit!

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2021 11:16 AM

I undoubtedly recall a complete failure of public health and their advice that flew against what was obvious common sense.

Did they fix it later? Yes, somewhat.

But when you fuck it up that badly the first time, some of your fuck up sticks forever. That's just the way it is.

And now, consequences.

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2021 11:18 AM

out of fucks to give

get your vaccine and get on with your life and STFU about it

by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2021 11:20 AM

Stop the mindless finger-pointing and blaming. You can be vaxxed to the eyeballs and STILL contract Covid. I personally know four people who have. You can be vaxxed to the eyeballs and be asymptomatic and pass Covid on. The only thing that MAY prevent you from either contracting Covid or passing it, vaxxed to the eyeballs or not, is a mask, especially indoors, especially around crowds of people.

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2021 11:23 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2021 2:36 PM

[r10] Masks don't actually work. Good air circulation works. The 6 ft spacing indoors thing is totally arbitrary and useless as well. There is a reason why not many people caught covid last year during the protests, yet super spreader events were common once people began to move back to schools and offices (even with the typical mask and 6 ft precautions). It's because covid is transmitted via aerosols. Last year, scientists who suggested that they may be transmitted by aerosols were derided by WHO, CDC, and Fauci. It's as if the response to Covid is being hijacked and turned into a psyop for a "new normal" in which a new level of surveillance and government control is seen as acceptable. I seriously doubt that vaccines do that much harm, if any, but people are making a shit ton of money off of them and their distribution.

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2021 7:19 PM

R12, I keep hearing from conservative pals -- the same ones who say Biden is senile -- that masks don't work.

So...there's no difference between not wearing a mask and walking up to an infected person and licking their face?

Okay, that's extreme, but we're sure on this; absolutely no benefit to wearing a mask?

when I wear a mask, it reminds me to purposely keep a distance from people. kind of like an actor wearing period piece wardrobe and getting into character.

by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2021 7:26 PM

Who are the anti-vaxxers in LA? They can't be MAGA types.

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2021 7:29 PM

[quote]You can be vaxxed to the eyeballs and STILL contract Covid. I personally know four people who have.

Did they require hospitalization?

The only person I know who contracted the virus this year who needed to go to the hospital was someone who wasn't vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 15July 16, 2021 7:29 PM

I am confident that i won't need hospitalization if I contract COVID b/c I'm vaxxed, but could I still be subject to all those long term health issues?

by Anonymousreply 16July 16, 2021 7:32 PM

[quote]when I wear a mask, it reminds me to purposely keep a distance from people.

Thank you. It also sends a message. But, as it were, that message is triggering for many.

I donโ€™t understand those who just donโ€™t draw a hardline and, instead, bitch about those who will never follow anyway.

by Anonymousreply 17July 16, 2021 7:45 PM

The point of vaccines are keeping people who get covid out of the hospital r10, and they do a great job of that. Getting covid is not big deal if you are just sick at home.

The people who are clogging up hospitals are idiots who didn't get vaccinnated.

by Anonymousreply 18July 16, 2021 7:48 PM

It is what it is. I will not wear a mask again. Vaccinated. I'm enjoying myself and having a great SoCal summer in San Diego. People that refused the vaccine are taking a big risk. Some will die. It is what it is at this point.

by Anonymousreply 19July 16, 2021 7:57 PM

Somehow fear of the virus merged with political hysteria and here we are. It's amazing how many of you have embraced Covid and masks with a blind religious zeal. I'm sorry you're afraid but your fear is irrational.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 16, 2021 8:12 PM

The new variant has played a role, but also, it was exactly a month when restrictions were lifted.

What on earth did people expect?

by Anonymousreply 21July 16, 2021 8:49 PM

Move over, LA:

โ€œJust four states accounted for more than 40 percent of all cases in the past week, with 1 in 5 of all cases occurring in Florida alone,โ€ White House COVID-19 coordinator Jeff Zients told reporters during a briefing Friday.

by Anonymousreply 22July 16, 2021 8:58 PM

Who are the anti-vaxxers in LA?

by Anonymousreply 23July 16, 2021 9:34 PM

Yet AIDS and HIV - far more deadly - didn't seem to scare you much. But Covid - with an infinitesimally lower fatality rate - has scared you out of your collective minds. Freud and Trump.

by Anonymousreply 24July 17, 2021 1:14 AM

What a moronic article at R20.

[quote]their objective has been to raise anxiety, not reduce it.

Health officials were trying to help prevent the deaths of the 650,000 people who ended up dying of COVID.

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2021 1:58 AM

god damned anti vaxers.....institutionalize them for insanity.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2021 12:33 PM

R19 - not really. Even as a vaccinated person, you could be a carrier and potentially infect a more vulnerable person. Even if said person is vaccinated, the Delta variant could kill him. I think a mask mandate indoors is in order. That being said, I don't believe YOU should be penalized for doing the right thing and getting vaccinated. Hence, the ONLY solution is mandatory vaccination until we achieve herd immunity. A vaccine pass in Los Angeles and California, even more strict than that in France ,is really what will get the other assholes to get the jab and free you and me and the vulnerable. The chance of transmission will not go away until 70% are vaccinated. Also, I propose an extra tax be levied on those without the vaccine. Why? They inconvenience you and the people that did the right thing and they will be the ones taking up resources like ICU. No vax is your choice? Ok, but pay for it because the health care, etc. this decision costs taxpayers like you and me isn't free.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2021 12:46 PM

seriously, round up the unvaxxed and forcibly vaxx them

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2021 12:50 PM

Covid out of control in ฬถLฬถoฬถsฬถ ฬถAฬถnฬถgฬถeฬถlฬถeฬถsฬถ ๐‘Š๐‘Ž๐‘ โ„Ž๐‘–๐‘›๐‘”๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘› ๐ท๐ถ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2021 1:20 PM

we were told (asked, begged) not to hoard N95 and medical grade masks so that medical workers would have enough. People ignored that and we had massive shortages anyway. Idiots heard that plea as 'don't wear masks' and here we are. These same idiots were fine with the concept of herd immunity when Trump was clinging to that idea as an alternative to actually doing anything on a national level to combat the virus. Now that herd immunity is achievable, these same idiots won't get vaccinated because they are listening to politically-motivated garbage being spouted by people who were vaccinated FIRST. Let these idiots die, it's what they want.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2021 1:36 PM

Don't forget how large LA County is: it's the county that gave Trump the most votes of any county in the country. Trump got just about 25% of the vote, but that means well over a million votes here. That's a lot of MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2021 1:57 PM

'There has been no decision to change our mask guidelines,' Psaki said at her press briefing. 'Any decision would come from the CDC'

CDC Director Rochelle Walensky also said no change in face mask policy

She noted people can make 'personal choice' to wear one for more protection

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2021 9:07 PM

R31 - this is too true. My mom and sister incessantly meet Republican jerks at work all the time. They constantly say "I THOUGHT we lived in a blue state...why are we meeting only Republicans?". Seriously, one of THE biggest worries my dad, a major construction project manager in Los Angeles, had about me was about me "getting hurt" because he saw the most vile "bigots" at work daily in so-called "liberal Los Angeles". I honestly think a part of his stroke was caused by the endless stress of being in this toxic environment all his life. It not only makes me sad, but also angry.

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2021 9:09 PM

[R33] Lol - you are a complete weirdo. Paranoid, hateful, judgmental, disrespectful and at a complete loss when confronted with an opposing opinions. Just disappear into your world of projection, fear and censorship - you deserve it. The liberals of Los Angeles are such an oppressed and put-upon group!

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2021 9:18 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2021 9:29 PM

Lots of GQP plague rats on here. Donโ€™t you people have Fauci effigies to burn?

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2021 9:33 PM

Yeah, right-wing trolls like R34. We aren't "put upon" because we are liberal or from Los Angeles. We are put upon by anti-vaxxers who everyone all over the world at risk and elect freaks like Trump. I am the weirdo? Ok, dude, yeah, I believe in science and not contributing to a pandemic while guys like you believe a guy who told you to inject themselves with disinfectant and stick a lightbulb up your ass...

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2021 11:47 AM

R36 - just a couple of them. Block them and you will see their posting history is all anti-vax shit with which to troll these threads.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2021 11:53 AM

[quote]we were told (asked, begged) not to hoard N95 and medical grade masks so that medical workers would have enough. People ignored that and we had massive shortages anyway. Idiots heard that plea as 'don't wear masks' and here we are.

To be fair, prior to the pandemic, most legitimate online medical websites said wearing masks didn't help when there was a flu outbreak. Some were pretty condescending about it, too. I believe the very first recommendations back during the cruise ship days were that masks wouldn't help.

Early on there were a ton of studies being done very quickly to see if masks made a difference and they found out that yes, they did, mostly when combined with social distancing.

That first several weeks of uncertainty before the medical establishment and media said that yes, masks help slow transmission, caused people to become paranoid and uncertain and suspicious. That never changed. They just made up some conspiracy theories to validate their suspicions.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2021 12:01 PM

[R37] Youโ€™re an ignorant, self-righteous fool whoโ€™s a flunky for the COVid Taliban. You know nothing of science. You are a vacuous, sloganeering non-entity who imagines that other people are evil as a justification for your own rage and hated.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2021 2:18 PM

It's pretty clear that R40 has had Covid and is suffering, quite badly, from brain fog.

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2021 2:27 PM

R41 - honey put those trolls on ignore. Enough with the anti-vaxxers. I can't believe they are gay men. I am pretty certain there are some Deplorables trolling. No sane gay man, who saw how AIDS ravaged us, would be calling against preventive measures to a contagious disease.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2021 2:30 PM

[R41] just keep masking and cowering in fear as the media unveils new โ€œvariantsโ€ for you to shit your pants over. You are exactly the sort of credulous idiot required for the continued abuse of power. Youโ€™d fit in nicely in North Korea. You could be trained to do virtually anything.

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2021 2:34 PM

[R42] Bug chaser.

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2021 2:35 PM

โ€œDemocrats Out of Control and out for Controlโ€ would be a more apt headline.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2021 2:40 PM

r10, Yes the vaccinations are not 100%, so if you are dealing with one that is 92% effective, 8 out of 100 people vaccinated could be vulnerable. The problem is that people never got vaccinated so it is still out there moreso.

The other problem is when California opened up and said if you're vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask but if you aren't you should still do so. We are going to trust people on this. I personally know 2 people that never got vaccinated and took off their mask everywhere. There never wanted to wear it in the first place so they stopped although they weren't vaccinated. That is why we all have to wear them again inside.

People can't be trusted to think of others in this world. It was lunacy to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2021 2:45 PM

People don't trust the central authorities , for better, but more often for worse. so they never have complied with anything, ever

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2021 2:54 PM

I hate it when I have these anti vax nutjobs on ignore and they come back with a new account.

by Anonymousreply 48July 23, 2021 3:12 PM

Oh wow. A thousand cases out of a population of eight million. Hide in your basements until 2022!

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2021 3:15 PM

R48 - all the time. Sock puppet accounts.

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2021 3:17 PM

[R48] The person you are smearing has been vaccinated, idiot. Youโ€™re talking out your ass and out of context because youโ€™re incapable of independent thought. You feel safe caucusing with other ignorant people because thatโ€™s what you know. Keep quaking in fear.

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2021 3:19 PM

I can never figure out if the anti-mask, anti-vax troll is one idiot with several accts, or several individual posters.

by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2021 4:16 PM

I think it's just one guy r52, he's always bringing up HIV in his rants.

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2021 4:34 PM

Laura Dodsworth being interviewed about her book on how the U.K. government manipulated Covid for fear, spin and propaganda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2021 4:54 PM

This might help explain matters

30% ๐’๐’‡ ๐’Š๐’Ž๐’Ž๐’Š๐’ˆ๐’“๐’‚๐’๐’•๐’” ๐’Š๐’ ๐‘ฐ๐‘ช๐‘ฌ ๐’„๐’–๐’”๐’•๐’๐’…๐’š ๐’‰๐’‚๐’—๐’† ๐’“๐’†๐’‡๐’–๐’”๐’†๐’… ๐’‚ ๐’„๐’๐’“๐’๐’๐’‚๐’—๐’Š๐’“๐’–๐’” ๐’—๐’‚๐’„๐’„๐’Š๐’๐’†

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2021 5:01 PM

[R37] Another testament to your ignorance and stupidity is the fact that you conflate Trump with "anti-vaxxers" when it was Trump and his administration that oversaw Operation Warp Speed to bring multiple vaccines to market in record time. You don't know what you're fucking talking about.

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2021 5:22 PM

I am ok with the dullards dying..........if you are not bright enough to see the value of vaccination, you really don't need to be breeding or voting........

....the furious hygienist......

by Anonymousreply 57July 23, 2021 5:24 PM

Yoga sprout moms are ultra anti-vax.

by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2021 5:31 PM

Makes sense, r53.

He does have a "style"

by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2021 7:03 PM

Nice try, r55, but if 70% of ICE detainees have NOT refused the vaccine, that means their vaccination rate is much higher than the US as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2021 8:41 PM

[quote]Another testament to your ignorance and stupidity is the fact that you conflate Trump with "anti-vaxxers" when it was Trump and his administration that oversaw Operation Warp Speed to bring multiple vaccines to market in record time.

Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2021 8:44 PM

The Datalounge is choking in a flood of dark brown ... stories about COVID fear-mongering, shady news sites promulgating stories hating on workers, and more shady news and Twitter feeds hating on minorities. It's fucking ridiculous in here.

by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2021 8:46 PM

[R62] That was coherent.

by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2021 8:49 PM

Learn how to format reply numbers, plague rat @ r63.

by Anonymousreply 64July 23, 2021 8:55 PM

If you can't get vaccinated for true medical reasons, then sorry, you have to stay home alone.

If you just wont get vaxxed for political reasons, then you and your family members deserve to die, I'm not helping you when you willfully will not help yourself. Please die soon so the rest of us can get back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 65July 23, 2021 9:00 PM

Israel bans unvaccinated from most public events:

"The [Corona] Cabinet decided today that as of 8 August, those who refuse vaccines will not be able to go to the cinema, the theater, the synagogue, the amusement park, the soccer game or any activity with over 100 people, indoors or out, unless they bring negative results from a coronavirus test, at their expense. Yes, they will fully bear the costs of the test."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2021 9:03 PM

[R65] How liberal and broad minded! Wishing death on those who refuse to take a vaccine that hasn't been approved by the FDA. You are such an evolved person! Since Covid has a 0.2% fatality rate for those over 65 most people will be just fine taking their chances for so little risk. That death wish you have for others is obviously rooted in your own psychopathology as opposed to anything resembling the actual world. What a vile person your are.

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2021 9:11 PM

[R65] Another irony of your demented "progressive" outlook is the fact that it's the "minorities" in Los Angeles (Blacks and Hispanics) who are either refusing vaccinations or showing indifference to them as opposed to Caucasians and Asians, who are vaccinated at far higher rates. Meaning that you're wishing death on the very constituency you pretend to champion.

by Anonymousreply 68July 23, 2021 9:29 PM

Just get the fucking vaccine already! Why are anti-vaxxer people so batshit about a vaccine and refuse to get one? People have been fully vaccinated for months now and life has gone on for them.

This country is full of fucking mouth-breathing, low-information idiots.

by Anonymousreply 69July 23, 2021 9:32 PM

They need to shut down the whole state for 100 years just to make sure they finally get rid of it. Keep people in their homes at gun point. Not even being allowed to leave for food. That will take care of it.

by Anonymousreply 70July 23, 2021 9:35 PM

[quote] Why are anti-vaxxer people so batshit about a vaccine and refuse to get one?

Apparently some think it's a racist plot against people of color. Farrakhan had dubbed the vaccine a "vial of death" and made comparisons to the Kool-Aid used by the infamous "People's Temple" cult of the 1970s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 23, 2021 9:39 PM

NOW they suspend him??

by Anonymousreply 72July 23, 2021 9:41 PM

Don't forget it was senile Joe Biden and doofus Kamala Harris who told the public not to trust the "Trump" vaccine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 23, 2021 9:49 PM

And Emmy award winner Cuomo.

"I don't trust the president and I don't trust the FDA... They have lied about COVID from day one,โ€ Cuomo added. He went on to say that the American people โ€œshouldnโ€™tโ€ trust the FDA either.

During a news conference on Nov. 1, Cuomo once again knocked the FDA saying he believes the vaccine will be approved by the agency โ€œon an expeditious basis under this president, if not a reckless basis."

by Anonymousreply 74July 23, 2021 10:05 PM

R73 Kamala Harris said that she did not trust Donald Trump. Donald Trump and the virus are not synonymous. It was appropriate not to trust Donald Trump. I don't trust Donald Trump, but I am vaccinated. And many of the people who have rejected the virus are Trump supporters or Republicans. These people are not paying any attention to what any Democrat has to say.

There has been a concerted and ongoing effort in the conservative media to undermine Dr. Fauci and the vaccines. It is relentless and it is every day. I am watching a conservative program right now where Peter Navarro a hardcore Trump minion is encouraging people not to take the vaccine but rely on therapeutics. They continue to pimp hydrochloroquine and Vitamin D as better options.

by Anonymousreply 75July 23, 2021 10:09 PM

Wow - this thread is a compendium of misinformation. For instance r67 claims that the death rate for COVID for people over 65 is .2% If 650,000 people died with CONFIRMED COVID out of a total of 65,000,000 cases, that's a death rate of 1% FOR ALL AGE GROUPS. In fact, the death rate for people over 65 is much higher than that. Outside groups have noted that excess deaths last year totaled more than 1,000,000, with the strong likelihood that most of those excess deaths were caused by COVID. In other words, these are people who would not (under normal circumstances) have been expected to die last year - in a normal year, heart disease, cancer, lower respiratory disease, and accidents would have been the top four causes of death. COVID moved up to number 3 as cause of death last year, and probably this year, it will move up to no. 2.

The rate of infection among the vaccinated is much lower than among the unvaccinated. The fewer the infections, the less chance for new variants to arise. That's epidemiology 101. Although there is no evidence (yet) that the Delta variant causes people to die at a higher rate than previous variants, there is no guarantee that some future variant might not be more deadly. There is no downside to being vaccinated, and there is no downside to continue to wear masks indoors until COVID subsides. Everyone knows that masks are most useful for preventing the wearer from spreading disease to other people, but there is still a significant protective effect for the wearer. That has been demonstrated in study after study after study.

by Anonymousreply 76July 23, 2021 10:13 PM

[R75] Brick wall. In the real world (not yours) itโ€™s Blacks and Hispanics who arenโ€™t being vaccinated at rates acceptable to the COVid zealots. But you must interject your hated for Republicans at any opportunity. Protect yourself and let the chips fall where they may.

by Anonymousreply 77July 23, 2021 10:22 PM

r76: r67 is the anti-mask/anti-vax troll. Punch and delete.

by Anonymousreply 78July 23, 2021 10:29 PM

[R76] Itโ€™s also been reported that the average age from death by COVid has been higher than the median age of death in many countries. Meaning that if one dies of death for COVid at 85 in a country where the average mortality is age 80 than COVid is hardly the kind of threat that would necessitate shutting down economies with all of the ancillary destruction that implies. The response has been a disaster far worse than the disease.

by Anonymousreply 79July 23, 2021 10:36 PM

r56, not who you were talking to but a lot are the same. If Trump and won and the vaccines released while he was president they would all take them. Suddenly they don't trust it because they can't bring themselves to trust Biden and give him a win.

by Anonymousreply 80July 23, 2021 10:46 PM

Exactly, what R76 said. The masks mandates now are the only way to make sure the unvaccinated are wearing them. The honor system did not work because the unvaccinated took advantage of the loosening restrictions and did not take the precautions they should have because of their status.

And R77 what I have said about the Republicans and the republican talking heads is true. Spend an afternoon watching America's Voice and then explain to me how that is not a major contributing factor. And I guess you don't realize that there are Black and Hispanic people who are also conservatives and Republicans.

Your point was that it was somehow the fault of Kamala Harris and Joe Biden for statements they made before the vaccines were a reality, but now that the vaccines are here their rhetoric has changed based on the actual information about the vaccines. And weirdly Republican rhetoric changed once the vaccine was here to the detriment of people prone to listen to Republican lawmakers.

I don't hate republicans, I feel sorry for the ones that would let their pundits and politicians steal their lives. I feel sorry for the ones that end up in the hospital asking for the vaccine when it is too late.

The hesitance or resistance of Black and Hispanic Americans is tragic but at least has some sort of historical basis other than #freedom. Both of my parents who grew up during Jim Crow are vaccinated. My mom initially was hesitant, but she overcame that hesitance. It is tragic and I hope it changes since black and brown communities are some of the hardest hit so it's a double whammy. Letting the chips fall where they may has resulted in a lot of unnecessary dead worldwide. And probably a variant that could have been avoided.

But to pretend in the real world, Republican talk show hosts, networks and politicians aren't currently, deliberately undermining vaccination efforts to a constituency that's decided anything that is not Trump approved can't be trusted is dishonest.

by Anonymousreply 81July 23, 2021 10:47 PM

[R81] Another sanctimonious, lawyerly jackass whose education is deployed In the purpose of calculated misdirection. Meaning you almost make sense until the main narrative is taken into account. Much like a partisan politician.

by Anonymousreply 82July 23, 2021 11:19 PM

R20, The American Thinker? Go fuck yourself you fascist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 83July 23, 2021 11:36 PM

"... when it was Trump and his administration that oversaw Operation Warp Speed"

I doubt Trump had anything to do with it other than telling people, "Make this happen or I will fire you on Twitter". No matter what he did, he can never be forgiven for ignoring Covid at first- then having maskless rallies.

by Anonymousreply 84July 23, 2021 11:43 PM

I wonder what category R77 falls into?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 23, 2021 11:43 PM

Democrats have to own the threats of violence of their constituents. Backing BLM loses any intellectual credibility. No sane person backs BLM as a path forward. They have very effectively SCARED everybody! The only currency BLM has is violence and threats of violence.

Stand up to them!

by Anonymousreply 86July 24, 2021 1:25 AM

[quote] No matter what he did, he can never be forgiven for ignoring Covid at first- then having maskless rallies.

No matter what he did? You're presuming he did something positive. He did NOTHING but make this whole thing worse. We have one person to blame for the situation we're in right now- Trump. No one else. If he hadn't pulled our infectious disease people out of China, this never would have happened. If he hadn't ignored everything, this wouldn't have spread the way it did. If he hadn't acted like it was no big deal and derided the cautions Fauci, et al, wanted to put in place and instead supported them, the vaccinated percentage would be much higher.... I could go on and on and on, but everything we are in right now is because of one man. Trump may as well have hit the button on the nuclear bomb launcher.

by Anonymousreply 87July 24, 2021 2:24 AM

Covid spread all over the world, R87, not just the U.S. Get over your US-centrism.

by Anonymousreply 88July 24, 2021 3:00 PM

You can trace the global spread of Covid to Trump, R88, any way you look at it.

by Anonymousreply 89July 24, 2021 9:38 PM

[R89] More like any way you look at it, moron. Your deluded, malicious nature isnโ€™t Trumpโ€™s doing. Most likely you come from a fucked up family and have major father issues - as do most people who irrationally hate Trump.

by Anonymousreply 90July 25, 2021 6:59 PM

What about those who rationally hate Trump?

by Anonymousreply 91July 25, 2021 7:12 PM

I'm curious as to why all of your posts have such a noxious odor, r90. And you seem so...so...damaged.

by Anonymousreply 92July 25, 2021 7:25 PM

Ohhh, I didn't realize you were a Trumper, R90. Won't bother to waste another second on you. You're less than useless, just like your fuhrer.

by Anonymousreply 93July 25, 2021 7:28 PM

[R93] Fatherless lost soul. Please cut your dick off and donโ€™t reproduce.

by Anonymousreply 94July 25, 2021 10:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!