Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shamoka Furman - Champlain Towers Security Guard

Shamoka Furman was a security guard at the Champlain Towers who, rather than fleeing the building, saved multiple people, re-entering the building to bring more people to safety. Her car was destroyed, and the security company that she worked for has provided her no assistance whatsoever.

She was mentioned in the Victoria Secret Karen thread, and her gofundme was linked there, but I thought that it needed more visibility, and I could not find a thread about her.

Read her story at the link, and donate if you can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2021 3:51 AM

I meant to add that she was physically injured while helping these people, and kept at it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2021 2:40 AM

Bunp

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2021 4:47 AM

There are millionaires in here let’s make it rain.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2021 4:48 AM

I'm surprised this is the first time I've heard her story. She deserves to be helped after she put her life on the line to rescue others.

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2021 6:35 AM

How can she be denied workman's com? This isn't an act of God?

"Also unfortunate is the fact that Securitas the comapany she worked for, has not offered any help. Including workman's comp, time off or much needed therapy..." Has Governer DeSantis been made aware of this?

Please provide the name and mailing address of the company she worked for as it is suspiciously absent from the article. A campaign of mail should be initiated to flood said company with enough mail that they would noticed their inhumanity at a time like this. I normally don't participate in drives like this to shame a company that does nothing for an employee that risked their lives to save others when in the employee of a private company.

(It reminds me of a press photo of a family of one of the victims of Pan Am 103 waiting at Logan Airport for the arrival of the remains of their loved one. I was at first surprised, than outraged, that the family members were sitting in a public area waiting. I thought Pan Am would have at least provided them with transportation to and from the airport, seated them in the First Class lounge (or at the very least, a private room apart from a public area), and offered them refreshment while they waited for the arrival of the remains, and provided transportation from the aircraft to wherever the remains were to be transported to. Shame and blame me all you want about this, an admittedly off topic story. But not off topic morally, considering it was the direct fault of Pan Am to not undertake extra security measures that might have helped to prevent the destruction of the aircraft, assassination of its crew and passengers, and murder of innocent residents of Lockerbie.)

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2021 8:45 AM

There's an address for Securitas in nearby Doral & Hollywood, FL. I don't understand why she wouldn't qualify for workman's comp, either? (even if she didn't qualify for their health benefits, an entirely different issue). However, in my experience, there is a bit of a lag with workman's comp, even in very employee-friendly companies that are on the ball.

I was once injured on the job, midway through a pay-period. My next paycheck (at the end of the month) was about half of what it normally would have been. My first workman's comp check for the time missed during said pay-period arrived 10+ days later. If one is living paycheck-to-paycheck that can be a real problem. So, I think they are trying to get her immediate access to cash.

There's also the matter of her car. It had originally belonged to her deceased mother, so likely an older model (and completely paid-off). Whatever kind of insurance she had, and whatever the KBB value was, it's probably not going to be enough to replace it outright. And of course, she can't get to work (once she's well enough to work), unless she has a car. (that's one of the job requirements to apply at Securitas; reliable transportation).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2021 12:00 AM

Securitas sucks as an employer everywhere. They treat their staff like shit

by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2021 12:36 AM

What's happening to Shamoka.....that's how people end up homeless! It Just takes one bad "thing" to set them back, financially.....

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2021 3:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!