Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I think many people diagnosed as bipolar, borderline and other mental disorders are just plain evil.

But they get full immunity because - mental illness .

by Anonymousreply 263August 11, 2021 12:44 AM

Is OP posting from the sixteenth century?

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2021 9:11 PM

Borderlines yes. Bipolar and various other illnesses no.

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2021 9:13 PM

I agree. Bring back mental institutions.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2021 9:19 PM

Borderlines are straight sociopaths

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2021 9:28 PM

OP is just undiagnosed.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2021 9:30 PM

Borderline

Feels like I'm going to lose my mind

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2021 9:31 PM

The borderlines I know are just downright spiteful and mean.

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2021 9:33 PM

They aren't evil. Evil is a religious construct. They can't regulate emotions and feelings or lack emotions. Once you understand that you can understand them. I worked within the prison system. They also have a higher than normal drug usage and the drugs if they do use them which are commonly used in conjunction with prescribed drugs fuel the illness.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2021 9:36 PM

i think it beomes a badge to be nasty mean and cruel! Lifes to short, no reason to have these people in your life.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2021 9:47 PM

Bipolars are spiteful and mean. Passive aggressive to the extreme and just bad mojo being near them.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2021 9:49 PM

There’s a diagnosis for evil: Anti-social Personality Disorder. BPD and BAD may not be very lovable, but the bases for the diagnoses are not a person’s volitional, dark qualities. Study the DSM more, OP, or pick up a good case book. Decision trees (from old DSM editions) can also be illuminating. Great topic.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2021 9:58 PM

OP forgot her meds.

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2021 10:00 PM

R11, you described evil . Thank you

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2021 10:02 PM

Bipolar disorder = genius. We owe a lot to people who have it. Bipolars are responsible for some of the greatest creations known to man-kind. It’s destructive undiagnosed and unmedicated though. They can be the life of the party and then take to their bed. They burn the candle at both ends.

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2021 10:02 PM

NPD are the fucking psychopaths. People with BPD and Bipolar disorders are usually fucked up because of trauma involving their narcissist parents.

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2021 10:03 PM

R14, is a bipolar ( evil) in obvious manic phase, which is bringing the darkness to a heightened alert.

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2021 10:04 PM

R15, borderline feeling attacked .

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2021 10:05 PM

R17 nope. It’s the truth. Read a book.

by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2021 10:06 PM

Take some responsibility and see your part in things you psychotic CUNT and r18

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2021 10:08 PM

Borderlines are convinced that they and ONLY they have suffered in life. And their entourage of enablers usually encourage this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2021 10:09 PM

Huge step backwards. Most people will have to deal with someone in their lives who falls under these categories. Could be a family member, a boss, a neighbor, etc. Recognizing their category actually gives you some tools to figure out how to deal with them (or when to shut them out/move on altogether)

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2021 10:10 PM

Yes. R21 . Your peace is more important than their harmful craziness.

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2021 10:11 PM

R19 you’re the psycho. Calling strangers names and flipping out. I think they call that “inappropriate rage”. Maybe you have BPD.

by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2021 10:11 PM

Borderlines like r23, main defense is gas light and projection. This borderline above is offended ( per usual) and lashing out. He’s a bunny boiler .

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2021 10:14 PM

R24 exactly. So stop projecting.

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2021 10:15 PM

I wouldn't say they're all evil, but I would say the majority of them are PITAs. My personal view is that if you can't or won't behave yourself, I'll do all I can to avoid dealing with you.

by Anonymousreply 26July 14, 2021 10:39 PM

Immunity from what? The vast majority of mentally ill people are not criminals

by Anonymousreply 27July 14, 2021 10:41 PM

They cause emotional and psychological trauma by just being them. They are rarely prosecuted in court because they get a pass due to mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 28July 14, 2021 11:17 PM

r28 is an idiot

by Anonymousreply 29July 14, 2021 11:20 PM

If you are talking about legal immunity, having any of those conditions is not a pass. The legal definition of insanity is quite narrow. While it may vary by jurisdiction, generally it requires being UNABLE to distinguish right from wrong and/or being UNABLE to control your behavior. It is a rare defense. I don’t think a personality disorder would ever get you there. Perhaps an extreme manic episode.

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2021 11:24 PM

Borderlines and bipolars are considered a form of psychosis .

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2021 11:28 PM

OP is like -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2021 11:49 PM

Both BPD ( borderline) and Bipolar people are destructive and unhealthy to be around.

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2021 12:01 AM

I think there are a lot of arseholes who will claim they have something like bipolar to justify their behaviour, when they really don't actually have it at all. I have bipolar and I can tell when someone is pretending to have it.

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2021 12:12 AM

Borderlines are truly sinister .

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2021 12:15 AM

Wasn’t Judy Garland Borderline? Why is she so beloved? She sounded exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2021 12:17 AM

Due to the shame and stigma, most people with bipolar don't disclose it, so I'm not surprised people think we're all arseholes, given that they're the attention seeking people who bandy it about all the time. Nobody in my life other than my family and my husband know I have it and I would never tell anyone. I take my meds and don't drink/take recreational drugs, so I don't think people realise I have it. I'm pretty sure most people will be around someone with bipolar disorder, but just not realise because we get very good at hiding our illness.

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2021 12:18 AM

That’s a very mild case you got there you fuckin liar liar 🤥

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2021 12:19 AM

No, I have bipolar 1 and take heaps of meds to the extent that I can't work because they're exhausting and i feel like I've been hit by a truck.

I just tend to "disappear" from people's lives when I'm sick, to hide my illness. I get the impression that a lot of people do that, but your comment explains why we have to.

by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2021 12:22 AM

Bipolar1 is the psychotic version . You must be immobilized by the drugs. Poor thing . 😞

by Anonymousreply 40July 15, 2021 12:25 AM

R39 is trying to manipulate by making people feel sorry for them. I’m sure there are two sides to every story if you asked your family about your behavior.

by Anonymousreply 41July 15, 2021 12:26 AM

And r41 is a troll

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2021 12:28 AM

Whatever R41. I was not trying to make people feel sorry for me at all - just giving some posters information they may be interested in. I don't feel sorry for myself at all - you are dealt the hand you're given and just have to get on with life, no matter what challenges you are faced with. There's no point getting bitter and angry about it. Maybe you can learn something from that.

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2021 12:30 AM

This is all on you OP!! Not me, oh no! Fuck no, I’ll tell everyone how you are! All on you! Yep, you know it’s true!

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2021 12:30 AM

bipolar's genetic - it's a chemical imbalance in the brain

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2021 12:33 AM

The Lord provideth thee uglier asswipes some bipolar folk so that ye too mayest get fucked with vim and vigor...or vinegar.

Nobody else will fuck thee.

by Anonymousreply 46July 15, 2021 12:37 AM

Bipolar rages are terrifying

by Anonymousreply 47July 15, 2021 12:46 AM

OP, that's what they thought in the 17th-19th Centuries.

by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote]Wasn’t Judy Garland Borderline?

Judy Garland was TEXTBOOK bi-polar. Though many of her fans excuse her behavior by saying, poor thing was used and abused by MGM....her mother put her on pills....she was tired and couldn't work! Boo hoo!

Not Evil. Mentally ILL.

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2021 1:25 AM

The drugs Judy was initially forced to take cause bipolar symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2021 1:26 AM

People with Borderline, Narcissistic, and Anti-Social Personality traits cause so many problems.

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2021 1:34 AM

Understatement of the century r51. They are a tornado of wickedness .

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2021 1:37 AM

I agree with OP.

It's a continuation of the long trend of pathologizing everything - because if it's a disease, they aren't responsible, can't help it, and shouldn't be held accountable.

It's also a continuation of the pill-a-day for everything mentality to fix things the easy way.

The majority of these people are just crappy human beings with poor impulse control and are just plain self-absorbed.

by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2021 1:46 AM

"The majority of these people are just crappy human beings with poor impulse control and are just plain self-absorbed."

And those that aren't in the majority? How can you tell?

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2021 2:16 AM

Borderlines are sneaky and vindictive. Pretty mendacious too.

by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2021 2:21 AM

Personality disorders are psychological. Schizophrenia and bipolar are physical. Both are genetic; bipolar is in families. Britney Spears is bipolar, so is her father. Another reason for her not to have kids: she can transmit it.

There are genetic markers for schizophrenia. And all first degree family members of a person with schizophrenia carry the markers though the disease might not manifest.

Bipolar can be controlled with medication (usually lithium) but many bipolars like Britney refuse to comply with their medication which suppresses the highs bipolars love as well as the depression which they don't.

Medication for schizophrenia is problematical. While it can prevent hallucinations, It tends to reduce the person to a zombie. And they can wind up with tardive dyskesia.

by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2021 4:56 AM

OP's just a garden variety asshole.

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2021 5:01 AM

R56 I read the opposite. I don’t know a lot about the differences in Bipolar vs BDP, I googled them. May of the sources I read from claim that Judy Garland, Britney Spears, Marilyn Monroe, Lindsay Lohan and others (I can’t remember) all have BDP. I get the feeling that DLers are biased and want to veer away from BPD when it comes to celebrities they admire or have an affinity for. Judy and Marilyn in particular seem to fit BDP traits.

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2021 6:03 AM

BPD. Excuse my dyslexia and fat thumbs.

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2021 6:04 AM

I've always suspected Judy was a borderline.

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2021 9:21 AM

Have a family member that is not mentally well. Don't know exactly what it is, but it's not good, and clearly (at the time I knew them) were probably not properly diagnosed or medicated. I was one of the last ones in the family to still have a strong connection to them, and everybody warned me, but I didn't really heed those warnings...until the time when that individual just blew up on me, for absolutely no reason at all. It was terrifying. A level of anger and emotion and antagonizing that was unlike anything I ever experienced. They had a level of glee in their eye when doing it too. I got defensive, and fought back, because I didn't really know then what I know now...that this was something most likely regarding mental illness. We had to ask them to leave, and I haven't had contact with that individual since. And to this day, they think everything that went down was my fault. I think it's undiagnosed/unmedicated Bipolar disorder, but it could be something else. I wish that person the best, but I just can't be around that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2021 10:34 AM

Yeah, my ex had serious colitis (we met in a support group as I have recto-colitis) and he actually had some heavy duty steroid treatment early on and was essentially dysfunctional. Shortly thereafter he started having mood swings and rages and depression and anxiety. He was diagnosed as bipolar 2 and was put on a mild drug cocktail. I wouldn't call him evil at all, as I have hardly met a more kind-hearted human being or crazy as he was well aware when he was sick and went to his doctor. He kind of lasts about 1-2 years in a job before he leaves and keeps moving. Part of it was his privileged upbringing and his medical condition. One of the exes who I was able to stay friends with because he's always there for others. He just needs meds or his anxiety and depression mixed with acute panic attacks make him useless. Brilliant at every job he has ever had and smart guy.

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2021 10:55 AM

R53 = has never known a bi-polar individual

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2021 12:35 PM

Since i stopped drinking every night to oblivion, i think my depression diagnosis might be upgraded to bipolar. I can't sleep - the last 3 nights i've had no more than 6 hours with melatonin and trazadone help (not both at the same time). I have the most difficult time sleeping and when I do fall into a dream state, experience those annoying hypnogogic jerks that wake me up, or the worst nightmares that cause me to wake myself yelling something.

I never thought i was bipolar, but my mind races when i try to sleep without alcohol or other sleep inducements. which would be now. i ran out of alcohol, i have no melatonin and am not going the trazadone route tonight/today so i fried a sausage and started breakfast even though it's a long time until i'll eat.

wish me a good breakfast when i finally eat it.

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2021 12:45 PM

[quote]I've always suspected Judy was a borderline.

Let's evaluate: Drug addict, alcoholic, sex addict. Endless stay-up-48-hours energy. Depths of depression. Numerous suicide attempts. Sounds bi-polar to me.

by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2021 12:52 PM

I am bipolar myself (was hospitalized several times in my early 20s but more or less stable now; quitting drinking and drugs helped a lot). I've known a couple of people with (diagnosed by professionals) borderline personality disorder as well.

I hope I'm not evil -- which, as someone pointed out upthread, is a theological construct anyway. I admit I had a poor sense of how my behavior affected others when I was younger (teens to mid-20s), but I think that had more to do with immaturity than mental illness.

I don't think the borderlines I've known were inherently bad people, but they had been through very shitty childhoods. One had exceedingly poor insight into herself. She believed that "having a boyfriend" would solve all her internal turmoil. She also lacked a sense of humor and was a self-mutilator. The other borderline I knew was a homeless crackhead (this was during my wild partying days) who had been diagnosed during a contentious divorce. He was a lifelong drug addict who could also be quite charming, and he didn't come out until late in life (his 50s). He died a couple of years later.

I'd go so far as to say they were both, at heart, good people who were afflicted with a terrible disorder that had ruined their lives and caused massive heartache to those around them.

I don't really have any great insight though. I've lost many years of my life due to depressive episodes. I have many grand ideas when I'm up that never get completed. That, in turn, depresses me. It's a vicious cycle. But a friend once pointed out I get far more accomplished when I'm on the upswing than most people without bipolar disorder, so who knows.

by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2021 12:52 PM

r65 those symptoms could all indicate BPD as well, and she probably stayed up because of amphetamines. Also, she had a great deal of interpersonal conflict in her life, which screams BPD to me.

by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2021 12:54 PM

R67, is the word bi-polar somehow shameful to you? What interpersonal conflict, husband beat her, no rent money? Everyone had a complicated childhood, everyone has issues with their parents and spouses. No reason to go completely nuts.

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2021 1:00 PM

r68 anyone in the psychiatric community will tell you BPD is a far more stigmatizing diagnosis than bipolar disorder

by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2021 1:02 PM

OP, you sound just like my cunt sister!

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2021 1:13 PM

Okay, psychiatric community, verify R69's ridiculous claim!

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2021 1:15 PM

[Quote]Bipolars are spiteful and mean. Passive aggressive to the extreme and just bad mojo being near them.

I will admit, R10, that when I am in a bipolar rage (well, what I can remember) I am extremely spiteful. I'm hurting so badly inside that I want to bring the smug cunts causing me anguish down too. It's not nice, it's not (usually) fair on the recipient but it's also largely out of our control. I know many, like the OP, will call it a cop out but a bipolar rage comes on suddenly. It's terrifying for the person with bipolar too, it's akin to an earthquake erupting out of nowhere - you begin to boil and without warning, you're suddenly spewing angry lava everywhere. Laugh all you will, but if you have it, you know what I'm trying to convey.

by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2021 1:22 PM

r71

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2021 1:47 PM

A lot of stuff is being smushed togeher.

I have anyone ever use any of these disorders to evade responsibility. However, those with characterological disorders do not even think they are responsible.

I think most people have some sympathy toward mood disorders. And they are treatable. As annoyed as we are by people with bipolar or depression we get that you are doing your best end encourage treatment.

People wilth characteralogical disorders are another matter. They resist treatment and you cannot reach them. Any attempt to make them understand their actions will not work and somehow become your fault, not theirs. As my shrink recommended, do not speak to them without witnesses. I feel sorry for them, but they really are not fit to interact with other humans. The pain and suffering they cause is immense.

by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2021 2:03 PM

Diana was widely believed by the mental health community to have borderline personality issues, as well as a strong strain of narcissistic personality disorder. Was she simply "evil"?

Perhaps you'd like to bring back auto da fes for the purely evil?

They usually do cause grief and difficulty for those who become engaged with them, either willingly or forced to via family ties (Cf. the Windsors and Diana and Meghan and Harry).

But even I wouldn't characterise them as simply evil.

We've seen banal simply evil. This isn't it.

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2021 2:06 PM

When people start acting out around me I've found that the only thing that really works is to beat them physically senseless into silent submission. You have to speak to these creatures in a language they can understand.

by Anonymousreply 76July 15, 2021 2:27 PM

R74 to a certain extent, I agree.

As someone with a developmental disorder, it annoys me when people conflate my challenges with those of a mentally-ill person. It happens too often, because autism/ASD is not addressed correctly by the psych field.

Just because I have a type of autism—only moderate and high-functioning—and that can entail occasional mood dsyregulation or relatively ‘strange’ behaviour, that doesn’t mean I suffer with any kind of psychosis or callous selfishness or lack of empathy as a mentally-ill person would. In fact, autistic people are often overwhelmingly sensitive toward others, to the point that the empathy is crippling.

by Anonymousreply 77July 15, 2021 2:35 PM

R58 the best books on bipolar are by Dr. Kay Jamison Redfield, a psychiatrist who is bipolar herself. She's written several books on the connection between bipolar and the arts. Some of the greatest artists and writers were/are bipolar. Not that I consider Britney a great artist.....lol

by Anonymousreply 78July 15, 2021 3:13 PM

They’re damaged and not fixable. We had to let our 50 year old brother go because of it. He stole from the family and lied one too many times. We enabled him for 30 years and now he lives under a bridge.

by Anonymousreply 79July 15, 2021 3:16 PM

R79, I think what you are doing is part of the problem. You are saying your brother is damages, without specifying what his disorder is.

A mood disorder, the autism spectrum, and a chariteralogical disorder are VERY different. Some can be treated. Others are harder to treat.

Putting them all in the same bucket confuses the issue. It analogous to joining a discussion of cancer, bunyons, and food allergies, saying that you know someone with it and it is a death sentence. Not all physical maladies are fatal--only some are.

Be specific.

by Anonymousreply 80July 15, 2021 3:26 PM

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 81July 15, 2021 3:29 PM

R77, oh, my hurting sides 😂 . Empathy is not a trait people associate with autism , quite the opposite. I do know that delusions are prominent in autism as well as lack of awareness .

by Anonymousreply 82July 15, 2021 3:34 PM

bipolars can't help they're bipolar, but they can take their meds and seek therapy

by Anonymousreply 83July 15, 2021 3:36 PM

R82 the stereotypical high-functioning cases of autism in men can work that way.

For milder more manageable forms of autism such as Asperger’s, and autism in woman, empathy is a noticeable trait—often to the degree that it causes crippling social naïveté.

by Anonymousreply 84July 15, 2021 3:37 PM

I know that the anti-autism troll is here, trying to sell us on the idea that autism is a form of sociopathy.

by Anonymousreply 85July 15, 2021 3:40 PM

Sure, r84

by Anonymousreply 86July 15, 2021 3:40 PM

I'd forgotten about the anti-autism troll, r85. I always assumed it was Matt

by Anonymousreply 87July 15, 2021 3:41 PM

R84, this is true. I work in the arts education and a large number of performers are on the spectrum. The disorder gives them the quick responsiveness needed....and their empathy does the rest.

by Anonymousreply 88July 15, 2021 3:42 PM

Many high functioning autistics are erroneously diagnosed as borderline. Many similarities. My experience with autistic people is there is a coldness and serious lack of understanding which comes out as lack of empathy. They have a difficult time putting themselves in shoes of others.

by Anonymousreply 89July 15, 2021 3:45 PM

Evil is by definition a lack of empathy. Bipolar and borderlines lack empathy in spades. Borderlines especially. Pay attention to their actions, not fake words .

by Anonymousreply 90July 15, 2021 3:47 PM

Not evil. Souless.

by Anonymousreply 91July 15, 2021 3:50 PM

R89, you seem to think that lacking theory of mind is the same thing as lack of empathy. Autistic people usually either have to work hard to read emotion or simply cannot. And lacking theory of mind it is hard for them to imagine what your perception and thought process is.

But that is not the same thing as lack of empathy. You just have to be embarrassingly explicit with them. They might not recognize when you are sad, but if you say "I am heartbroken because my mother has cancer." they can empathize. But they might not be able to figure out your emotional state unless you explicitly tell them what it is.

A smart friend made his autistic son care for a dog. The kid had to learn to read the dogs emotions and now that he is grown up, he does it with people. But he said, it is like being a detective since he has to work it out.

by Anonymousreply 92July 15, 2021 3:53 PM

Exactly r91

by Anonymousreply 93July 15, 2021 3:54 PM

Autism is a terrible thing and they are working arduously for a cure , or to detect in womb like DS

by Anonymousreply 94July 15, 2021 3:55 PM

R56 that is a simplistic explanation and you have some facts wrong. Even neuroscientists, researchers, and those of us practicing in mental health don’t know the exact etiology of the psychiatric conditions you’d described. While there are indeed genetic components to schizophrenia, bipolar, etc…there are also environmental factors that “switch” on the genetic propensity, such as the use of recreational psychotropics.

I have many patients with schizophrenia who’d experienced first psychotic episodes after taking cannabis, meth, etc…. For vast majority of people thy can snap back after those trips end but for those who are genetically predisposed to mental illness with psychotic components, they’re not as lucky. However, most patients with psychotic disorders weren’t diagnosed because they smoked weed or did other drugs. There are usually gradual signs before a decompensation episode. We tend to see these presentations in older teens to young adults. The ones who are diagnosed early during mid-teens are usually the kids you know there’s something off/ odd about them. Makes tend to be diagnosed younger than females. With women, the onset of schizophrenia can be into the 30s while for males it’s typically mid-teens to 20s. I had a longtime female patient who was diagnosed in her 30s after a string of hospitalizations , she’s in her 70s now. Very well-spoken and nice, we often talked about art. But when you engaged in longer conversations with her you’d know her thought content and auditory hallucinations were unfortunately part of her life.

There are many people with psychotic disorders that are controlled who are living amongst us. You walk past them in supermarkets and you’d never know it. Some of them have family, children, and even hold jobs. Antipsychotic meds have come a long way in managing symptoms so that people can function as members of society. Contrary to popular belief, good symptoms management is not cessation of all symptoms. For instance, I’ll say to my (not real) patient “last time I saw you, you said you were still seeing angels and they talk to you sometimes. But you said you’re able to tune that out by playing music on your phone. How has anything changed or things still the same?” I’ll go deeper into contents of hallucinations from there. Good control of symptoms for example, means ability to understand that visual/ auditory hallucinations are not real/ part of their illness and having ways to deal with them so that they don’t impede on daily life.

As for personality disorders, they’re not as prevalent as people think. Sometimes a shitty person is just a shitty person. People hide behind mental health and psychiatric disorders to excuse bad behavior.

by Anonymousreply 95July 15, 2021 4:29 PM

Borderlines scare the bejesus out of me. Bipolars are psychotic.

by Anonymousreply 96July 15, 2021 5:33 PM

Um, sorry, R96. Bipolar is not a psychotic disorder.

Psychosis is about misconceiving reality. Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder, meaning that the perception of reality is fine, but the emotional response to it is what is off.

by Anonymousreply 97July 15, 2021 5:48 PM

r97 I'm not r96, but bipolar patients in an acute manic episode can experience psychosis

by Anonymousreply 98July 15, 2021 5:49 PM

I agree but I think quite a few people are evil not just the “mentally ill” the human race is bad

by Anonymousreply 99July 15, 2021 5:51 PM

Right, R98. But they also might not experience psychosis, because that is not the nature of the illness.

by Anonymousreply 100July 15, 2021 5:54 PM

Typical DL. Everybody we love is bipolar and everybody we hate is borderline. I don’t agree that Judy was bipolar. She threatened suicide and self harm to manipulate people in her life. So did Princess Diana. That definitely sounds more like borderline.

by Anonymousreply 101July 15, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote]But they get full immunity because - mental illness .

This is a complete fabrication. Even as a legal defense, mental illness rarely gets a pass. It's the most stigmatized of all medical issues. Also, talk to anyone with these disorders who's tried to hold a job, Capitalism isn't kind to people who are different or who have unique needs.

This place is so blitheringly stupid and conservative most of the time now. It's so depressing.

by Anonymousreply 102July 15, 2021 6:21 PM

Bipolar is classified as a psychosis. Here's a well-known bipolar who was misdiagnosed (postpartum depression, postpartum psychosis, schizophrenia) her whole adult life while her father and brother kept their own disease secret from the numerous psychiatrists who diagnosed her while she was in and out of psych wards for years: Andrea Yates.

by Anonymousreply 103July 15, 2021 6:21 PM

This seems to me yet another false paradox or strawman argument. I don't believe I've ever heard a therapist or researcher claim being evil and being mentally unwell were mutually exclusive.

Of course we should have empathy, and aim for greater understanding of those who suffer with these disorders...Such a diagnosis can affect culpability in many areas, but it doesn't deny the fact SOME can indeed be quite evil, and guilty of committing very evil deeds.

For purposes of definition, I subscribe to the theory that the state or quality of being "evil" is very much a process of becoming. One becomes evil through a slippery slope of poor choices (very damaging and hurtful actions towards others) whereby excessive rationalisation, and desensitisation negates both our humanity, as well as our notions of a conscience. Through this process of becoming evil, one is completely more generally desensitised to the suffering of others, and more specifically desensitised to the suffering they themselves cause others.

No Satan, or other mythical boogeyman needed to justify an explanation of evil, or a category of antisocial and inhumane behaviour. It's a most useful and universally understood term.

by Anonymousreply 104July 15, 2021 6:25 PM

This is an almost literal attempt to demonize mental illness. F&F OP.

by Anonymousreply 105July 15, 2021 6:35 PM

R105 that’s what I was thinking. If you go down the thread it is pretty clear that OP is probably living with antisocial disorder, or some other form of cluster-B. She seems really angry and hateful.

by Anonymousreply 106July 15, 2021 6:46 PM

R105 He certainly doesn't very well himself, now does he? Seems he has some rage boner for people struggling with mental issues. Just another childish stirrer really.

by Anonymousreply 107July 15, 2021 6:52 PM

I knew a lovely, intelligent guy who was bipolar. I liked him very much, but its true he was exhausting. He finally killed himself which was tragic. So many people loved him.

I don't know what to make of these sad cases. The crazy, violent ones are easier to write off, but the decent ones are heart-breakers.

by Anonymousreply 108July 15, 2021 7:51 PM

What a bizarre thread. I have never met anyone who was proud to disclose their mental diagnosis. The stigma from uneducated people, like OP, is very real.

by Anonymousreply 109July 15, 2021 8:38 PM

R108 sorry to hear that, what a sad story.

And I can empathise. I had a best friend in my late teens and early twenties who had manic depression/BPD of some kind, and she was the most intelligent and creative and witty and sensitive beautiful soul I’ve met. She was also an annoying headcase who couldn’t stay out of trouble or maintain a functional existence. Last I heard from her, she had been sectioned for a third time, and despite attempts I haven’t been able to reestablish contact (she has dropped off the map and changed details, including her name which she has done a few times in the past). Sometimes I miss her terribly and worry about her, and other times I’m relieved I no longer have to deal with her exhausting mad drama and antics. Everyone else I’ve ever known is boring and 2D by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 110July 15, 2021 8:49 PM

At least I'm not old

by Anonymousreply 111July 15, 2021 11:19 PM

Evil psychotics are taking umbrage to this thread .

by Anonymousreply 112July 15, 2021 11:40 PM

I just wish those who prescribe librium would take a cycle of doses themselves to understand what they are doing.

We have docile zombies walking around who are vulnerable and require protection. They have a delayed reaction to some of the shit people pulled with them, then they throw away their meds, and then rage at everyone for their torment.

by Anonymousreply 113July 16, 2021 12:07 AM

r113 = Jamie Spears

by Anonymousreply 114July 16, 2021 12:09 AM

Lithium you mean r113.

by Anonymousreply 115July 16, 2021 12:11 AM

R114, poorer and trashier and never a legal guardian, Toots, but I've seen people who abused that position.

by Anonymousreply 116July 16, 2021 12:15 AM

lithium is a mood stabilizer, not an anti psychotic

by Anonymousreply 117July 16, 2021 2:34 AM

Bipolar cunt at r117

by Anonymousreply 118July 16, 2021 2:38 AM

How is r117 cunty? So many men here act like they authored the DSM.

by Anonymousreply 119July 16, 2021 4:13 AM

R119,/the dinnertime meds haven't kicked in and some are sundowning. Don't take any of this seriously.

by Anonymousreply 120July 16, 2021 4:23 AM

R77, you are confusing personality disorders with mental illness. FOH.

by Anonymousreply 121July 16, 2021 6:54 AM

Producer/author/director Joshua Logan was prescribed Lithium in the late 1950s for his bipolar disorder. He said in his autobiographies and interviews that it turned his life around. Unfortunately, although he continued to have minor successes on stage and in films, he never again had a major hit.

by Anonymousreply 122July 16, 2021 7:17 AM

I know a few people with bipolar, all of them medicated and struggling to get that right. And I can tell you, the one thing they all have in common is that they don't ever wish harm on other people, they only wish harm on themselves because of what a terrible thing it is to live with.

They can certainly be exhausting, as said above. But they have so much love in them too.

by Anonymousreply 123July 16, 2021 8:19 AM

Axis I is major mental illness, a disruption of perception. Psychosis. Schizophrenia, bipolar, major depression, etc. Axis II is personality disorders. Neurosis. BPD, NPD, etc. There is a difference.

by Anonymousreply 124July 16, 2021 9:20 AM

[quote]Just because I have a type of autism—only moderate and high-functioning—and that can entail occasional mood dsyregulation or relatively ‘strange’ behaviour, that doesn’t mean I suffer with any kind of psychosis or callous selfishness or lack of empathy as a mentally-ill person would. In fact, autistic people are often overwhelmingly sensitive toward others, to the point that the empathy is crippling.

R77, your discriptions of "mentally-ill" people possessing "callous selfishness or lack of empathy" reveal your extreme ignorance and prejudices. You're stigmatizing mental illness just like OP is. Disgusting behavior, and you're truly lacking a great deal of empathy yourself.

by Anonymousreply 125July 16, 2021 11:48 AM

I once hired a grad student who looked great on paper. After she started working, everybody discovered that she was a mean bitch. When I tried to give her the 'talk' if she continued to fight with all her colleagues, she'd be fired, she announced she was both bipolar and autistic. Fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 126July 16, 2021 3:14 PM

Autistics are colossal trouble makers . They get off on it .

by Anonymousreply 127July 16, 2021 5:20 PM

Real autistics are not verbal and have low IQs. Fake autistics - Aspergers Syndrome - are just selfish, narcissistic whiners who don't want to have to play by the rules because they are 'special'.

by Anonymousreply 128July 16, 2021 6:06 PM

Is the Asperger's troll back?

by Anonymousreply 129July 16, 2021 6:08 PM

R128, pretty much

by Anonymousreply 130July 16, 2021 9:39 PM

I’m Bipolar. High I.Q. Married 33 years, retired professional with two adult sons both doing well.

I have to admit, it can be a struggle and it takes quite a lot of energy to appear “normal.” I have been on medication since I was a child.

I admit that I enjoy hypomania as I can get lots of things done in a short amount of time. I have to cut it off at the pass to keep it from going overboard.

I don’t consider myself “evil” anymore than I would if I had cancer.

by Anonymousreply 131July 17, 2021 6:39 AM

R131, people with cancer are not evil. Its the ones with lupus and diabetes who would slit your throat as much as look at you.

by Anonymousreply 132July 17, 2021 1:18 PM

It can be both. In one of the parent threads on here, I told stories about my evil mom and was told that she suffers from BPD. I think that's true, but she is also an awful person.

by Anonymousreply 133July 17, 2021 1:35 PM

I had to back away from someone I cared deeply about. She had the worst childhood of anyone I know and I'm sure one or both of her parents were mentally ill. She probably has more than one disorder, PTSD for sure. She has been off her meds for a few years. She became so verbally abusive that I just backed away. I still pay her cable bill but I don't have much to do with her otherwise and neither does anyone else. It's very sad because she really suffers.

by Anonymousreply 134July 17, 2021 3:13 PM

Read Kay Jamison Redfield. She tells one story about going to a university tea for her fellow professors when she was off her meds and having a manic episode. She dressed up in a slutty outfit and spent the whole tea sexually assaulting her colleagues.

by Anonymousreply 135July 17, 2021 5:33 PM

"full immunity" from what? OP, you're a grade a asshole. You sound more like an entitled self absorbed piece of shit that sulks when your comments, "jokes" and quips go over like a lead balloon and land flat.

I've been diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety several times already. I don't go around touting it like some "VIP Card". I've never asked for preferential treatment. Did it ever occur to some of you that the super extrovert manic part of your personality is actually one of the traits of Bi-polar disorder? Only, you're on the "manic" side 24/7 nonstop. Guess what, you're insanely annoying as well.

by Anonymousreply 136July 17, 2021 8:53 PM

R136, a bipolar in. A psychotic state .

by Anonymousreply 137July 18, 2021 2:52 AM

R88 - It also serves those in the arts well, particularly actors, because borderlines have a huge capacity for fantasy - they believe their own lies, and this makes them more capable of slipping into roles.

by Anonymousreply 138July 18, 2021 1:23 PM

Borderlines are to be avoided at all costs .

by Anonymousreply 139July 18, 2021 2:36 PM

[quote]Lifes to short,

So is your spelling.

by Anonymousreply 140July 18, 2021 2:53 PM

Women borderlines usually calm down after menopause. There are relatively few male borderlines so I've never read any literature about how BPD progresses over age with men.

by Anonymousreply 141July 18, 2021 5:07 PM

R141, male borderlines are far more dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 142July 18, 2021 5:08 PM

Bipolar assholes are not healthy to be around. Very toxic and self centered.

by Anonymousreply 143July 18, 2021 5:09 PM

I think male borderlines are underdiagnosed and female borderlines are overdiagnosed.

by Anonymousreply 144July 18, 2021 5:11 PM

R144, many female ones are actually autistic.

by Anonymousreply 145July 18, 2021 5:16 PM

Agree r145

by Anonymousreply 146July 18, 2021 5:18 PM

I’m bipolar 2. I’ve been medicated for years. It did take me quite some time to get my medications regulated. I’ve been in the same career for years. It’s extremely stressful but I need the stability otherwise I spin out of control. I’m definitely not mean or an asshole. I’m a very kind generous and loving person who is extremely loyal to my friends and family. My challenge is settling down somewhere permanently. My bipolar has taken me all over the world jumping from city to city. It sounds glamorous but to be honest it’s very lonely. When I was unmedicated the impulsivity and grandiose ideas fueled the desire to pack up and move. The result of this is I have friends all over the place. I’d love to have my support system all in one place but that’s never gonna happen. Although I’m medicated it’s a daily struggle. It’s hard for people to understand that you’ll never be 100% ok. Sorry I know I’m rambling..It’s hard to have relationships with people over the phone sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 147July 18, 2021 5:22 PM

I think people who talk about evil are superstitious reactionaries.

by Anonymousreply 148July 18, 2021 5:23 PM

R148, borderline feeling attacked

by Anonymousreply 149July 18, 2021 5:40 PM

R123 I agree with your statement. I wrote r147. I know were exhausting to be around sometimes. I’m fully aware of it. I feel guilty sometimes for putting people through all my crazy ideas. I don’t want to be a burden ugh.

by Anonymousreply 150July 18, 2021 5:42 PM

Me too, r150, which is why I'll most likely always be single. In my 30s, I finally came to accept that I'm best taken in small doses, and that it's unfair to let someone pursue a relationship with me.

by Anonymousreply 151July 18, 2021 6:51 PM

The OP is ….character disordered? Plum evil?

by Anonymousreply 152July 18, 2021 10:34 PM

r151, I think you should let the other person decide if you are best taken in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 153July 18, 2021 11:02 PM

At this point, I am set in my ways and not interested in pursuing relationships r153

by Anonymousreply 154July 18, 2021 11:04 PM

I’m nuts. Don’t rile me up.

by Anonymousreply 155July 18, 2021 11:13 PM

R138, actually Borderlines as a whole, do not do well in the arts. Being delusional does not help one as a performer.

And because the performing arts are largely a gig economy, one needs to be able to keep booking jobs...and no one wants a delusional actor.

by Anonymousreply 156July 19, 2021 11:54 AM

[quote]...and no one wants a delusional actor.

Is there any other kind?

by Anonymousreply 157July 19, 2021 11:56 AM

[quote]And because the performing arts are largely a gig economy, one needs to be able to keep booking jobs

Isn't that what an agent does?

by Anonymousreply 158July 19, 2021 12:28 PM

Not necessarily evil, but often malicious.

Definitely fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 159July 19, 2021 12:35 PM

Malevolent

by Anonymousreply 160July 19, 2021 5:19 PM

Cursed

by Anonymousreply 161July 19, 2021 8:00 PM

Someone upthread said that clinicians are trying to identify autism before birth, like Down Syndrome. I guess so they can be aborted? I'm not saying this is good or bad, there's no easy answer. I was reading or watching something a few days ago about how autism is becoming more and more common. Is it connected to the fact that we are supporting earlier and earlier pre-term babies who end up surviving? Not saying this is good or bad, but maybe the brain can't develop correctly.

by Anonymousreply 162July 19, 2021 8:14 PM

R162 autism has genetic markers. Some autism self-advocates are trying to prevent further research into this because they fear it will eventually be diagnosed in utero and get aborted like fetuses with Down's and other genetic anomalies.

by Anonymousreply 163July 19, 2021 8:19 PM

Thinking of unintended consequences, throughout history societies have benefited from having a few autistic people around. Tesla, Jobs, and Einstein seem very likely to have been autistic. Some think Jefferson was. But you get the point. While you would not want a society in which everyone was on the spectrum, it does seem like a good idea to have a few.

by Anonymousreply 164July 19, 2021 8:22 PM

R,164, so you advocate selective abortions if and when science will be able to determine the level of disability? You sound quite ableist and delusional.

by Anonymousreply 165July 19, 2021 8:26 PM

R164, is unwell.

by Anonymousreply 166July 19, 2021 8:28 PM

I used to work with autistic kids. Most of them have severe mental retardation and aren't verbal. Kids with Down's are much higher functioning (and much nicer) than kids with autism. The 'idiot savant' claim is largely a myth.

by Anonymousreply 167July 19, 2021 8:31 PM

I’m bipolar and I’m not evil, spiteful, or mean. Ask me anything.

by Anonymousreply 168July 19, 2021 8:37 PM

[quote][R138], actually Borderlines as a whole, do not do well in the arts.

Actually, there are lots of successful Borderlines in entertainment, like Pete Davidson. He's overly nice until he gets you locked into a relationship, and then he turns into a psycho. If he feels that you're going to break-up with him, he threatens to kill himself, or starts cutting himself. This is a consistent pattern with him. He's a master of using guilt to control people.

by Anonymousreply 169July 19, 2021 8:42 PM

The main characteristic of psychotic and personality disorders is the inability or unwillingness ( due to narcissism) to see their part in anything. R168, is prime example. Borderlines love to feign fault just to manipulate.

by Anonymousreply 170July 19, 2021 8:43 PM

Back to my assertion that male borderlines are far more dangerous and deadly .

by Anonymousreply 171July 19, 2021 8:45 PM

OP I agree. I think more and more that old terms like evil, fate, drunkard, are better and more useful.

by Anonymousreply 172July 19, 2021 8:51 PM

R165, think for a moment you will get my point.

If I am saying that having some autistic people in a society benefits that society and to eliminate them will have unintended consequences, I am arguing AGAINST aborting fetuses because they are likely to grow into autistic adults.

by Anonymousreply 173July 19, 2021 8:53 PM

Her body, her choice r173 ! You can not force a woman to take that kind of chance when vast majority of autism is profound mental disability.

by Anonymousreply 174July 19, 2021 8:56 PM

Autism is brain damage and not normal!

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2021 9:03 PM

READ THIS BOOK by Arnhild Lauvneng: «A Road back from Schizophrenia». This clinical psychologist was in and out of mental institutions for years.

«For ten years, Arnhild Lauveng suffered as a schizophrenic, going in and out of the hospital for months or even a year at a time. A Road Back from Schizophrenia gives extraordinary insight into the logic (and life) of a schizophrenic. Lauveng illuminates her loss of identity, her sense of being controlled from the outside, and her relationship to the voices she heard and her sometimes terrifying hallucinations. Painful recollections of moments of humiliation inflicted by thoughtless medical professionals are juxtaposed with Lauveng’s own understanding of how such patients are outwardly irrational and often violent. She paints a surreal world—sometimes full of terror and sometimes of beauty—in which “the Captain” rules her by the rod and the school’s corridors are filled with wolves.

When she was diagnosed with the mental illness, it was emphasized that this was a congenital disease, and that she would have to live with it for the rest of her life. Today, however, she calls herself a “former schizophrenic,” has stopped taking medication for the illness, and currently works as a clinical psychologist. Lauveng, though sometimes critical of mental health care, ultimately attributes her slow journey back to health to the dedicated medical staff who took the time to talk to her and who saw her as a person simply diagnosed with an illness—not the illness incarnate. A powerful memoir for sufferers, their families, and the professionals who care for them.»

by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2021 9:30 PM

R173, is a pro-life troll.

by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2021 9:30 PM

R125 read the thread in its entirety, then tell me about the typical behaviours of mentally-ill. I did not imply at any point that these behaviours were in the purview of their enactors, and I imagine it must be so painful to lack control over one’s damaging actions. I don’t believe enough is done to help and support these people to cope, and that medication & asylum can tend to torturous and unethical. How is that for empathetic?

R128 just...stop talking. You know nothing of what you speak. You cannot explain the life I have had it or the lifelong default personality traits I exhibit without an Asperger’s diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 178July 19, 2021 9:54 PM

It’s clear most of the posters in this thread have serious mental issues. Especially OP. Her response to anybody disagreeing with her is, “borderline feeling attacked”. As if to say of we are not with her then we must be against her.

by Anonymousreply 179July 19, 2021 10:13 PM

Watch this. Fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 19, 2021 11:18 PM

And this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 19, 2021 11:20 PM

I started a relationship with an admitted bipolar. A few years later, he stopped taking his meds. After reading so much material, I think he’s really borderline but the bipolar meds helped mask it. I don’t sign up for borderline and wish he’d just leave or even just fucking die. I know it will be explosive when I say get the fuck out. I’ve only held on this long because I know he’ll do his best to embarrass me professionally in the small town where I ‘m known to a large percentage of the population.

by Anonymousreply 182July 20, 2021 12:52 AM

^^^on top of that, he thinks he’s a “targeted individual” by the left because he’s a trumper. He’s also being attacked by frequencies. Whenever he leaves, I hope he disappears as he says he will someday.

by Anonymousreply 183July 20, 2021 1:02 AM

R183,prepare for possible violence when you kick toxic to curb. Have friends when you do it. Tell the police about him too . I wish you all the luck in world . You’re life will be so much better without him.

by Anonymousreply 184July 20, 2021 1:10 AM

You wish your partner “would just fucking die” but they are the crazy one. Ok. Have fun cosplaying Sleeping with the Enemy.

by Anonymousreply 185July 20, 2021 6:12 AM

R185, borderlines deserve it!!

by Anonymousreply 186July 20, 2021 6:16 AM

Not plain evil, but very self-centered.

by Anonymousreply 187July 20, 2021 8:30 AM

Are there meds for BPD and NPD? And are these hereditary? An elderly family member married someone with this. It's been nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 188July 20, 2021 1:33 PM

I know someone with BPD..........they have their moments......like venting rage.....their emotions are intense and overwhelming at times...........but for the most part ........is a good person

As far as drugs are concerned.....people with a lot of internal pain seek out drugs to live a happy life.

They deserve compassion ..not shaming

by Anonymousreply 189July 20, 2021 2:08 PM

I started a relationship with an admitted bipolar

you signed up for it hun, you make your bed....

by Anonymousreply 190July 20, 2021 2:45 PM

BOrderlines are vengeful and mendacious.

by Anonymousreply 191July 20, 2021 4:14 PM

Is there such thing as an ellipsis disorder?

(r189, I'm looking at you!)

by Anonymousreply 192July 20, 2021 5:25 PM

R192

I love you too.

by Anonymousreply 193July 20, 2021 5:40 PM

R188, it seems hereditary to me. I have several extended family members who are all bipolar and alcoholic, in a straight line.

They traced their family on Ancestry and then it became apparent what happened. An alcoholic married a bipolar and a bunch of the grandkids are one or the other, or both. They have some extended family that only share one common relative, those people seem a lot more stable, although some have issues too.

After researching more about the alcoholic, I wonder if they were also bipolar but undiagnosed. They were very unstable.

Here’s the breakdown: alcoholic parent + bipolar parent

Child 1: alcoholic, unknown kids

Child 2: alcoholic and mental illness parents, all grandkids one or the other or both

Child 3, alcoholic parent, one different stable parent: stable kids and grandkids

Child four: mentally ill parent, one different stable parent, mild mental illness but functional, healthy kids

Child five: mentally ill parent, one different stable parent: mild mental illness, no kids

That’s got to be a much higher percentage of health issues than average.

by Anonymousreply 194July 20, 2021 6:04 PM

I watched a YouTube channel called living well with schizophrenia and in it the host explains that schizophrenia is also a fiscal disease in which the fiscal brain is also affected like parkinson and dementia. I could cry 😢😭😪 in sadness if it wasn't for my meds blocking my emotions

by Anonymousreply 195July 20, 2021 6:10 PM

We have a guy in my building that is autistic, has a college degree, works part time in a handicapped person job and is the rudest fucking person I have ever met. I know I should feel bad for him but frankly cannot stand the bastard.

by Anonymousreply 196July 20, 2021 6:11 PM

R194, then not guilty due to heredity.

by Anonymousreply 197July 20, 2021 7:45 PM

R196, he has no empathy coupled with rage .

by Anonymousreply 198July 20, 2021 7:46 PM

r194 bipolar is hereditary- that was established many years ago - the reason many bipolars decide not to have children

by Anonymousreply 199July 20, 2021 7:48 PM

I’m bipolar. So was my grandfather. My cousin is too.

by Anonymousreply 200July 20, 2021 11:11 PM

Bipolars are crazy

by Anonymousreply 201July 20, 2021 11:51 PM

I’m pissed off. I hear those fucking squirrels running across my roof! One of those bastards will be inside my house before long.

by Anonymousreply 202July 21, 2021 12:25 AM

R194, R188 was asking if BPD and NBP are hereditary, not bipolar disorder.

Cluster B personality disorders like NPD and BPD are NOT the same thing as mental illnesses like bipolar. They cannot be treated with meds.

Many posters on this thread would do well to learn the difference between these disorders.

by Anonymousreply 203July 21, 2021 6:06 AM

I work on my college's faculty with someone with severe emotional problems, and most of us in her department suspect she has BPD. I don't think she's genuinely evil, but we all hate working with her because she's an aggressive monster who makes every meeting about herself and lashes out against everyone. But she's tenured so we can't get rid of her.

Her constant complaint the last ten years is that our department is isolating, but the real truth of the matter is that she's so alienating we all avoid hanging out with her because when we have tried to be nice to her in the past she has bitten us all in the ass for it.

She's miserable--her husband divorced her, and her children have all fled from her (one even moved out of the country when she turned eighteen, we suspect mostly to get away from her).

by Anonymousreply 204July 21, 2021 6:27 AM

Academia attracts the crazies by the bucketful.

by Anonymousreply 205July 21, 2021 6:45 AM

Especially narcissists r205

by Anonymousreply 206July 21, 2021 6:49 AM

Was borderline personality disorder a hot topic in the 70s-80s? I’m wondering why so many here throw around “BPD” and pretend to be experts when I’ve never heard anyone use it in real life or on tv.

by Anonymousreply 207July 21, 2021 7:26 AM

so what you’re saying is that mental illness isn’t real?

by Anonymousreply 208July 21, 2021 7:44 AM

Y’all are so weird for agreeing with this post

by Anonymousreply 209July 21, 2021 7:46 AM

From what I have been reading, BPD isn’t even what a lot of you are alleging it to be. It is an emotional disorder, that can sometimes have overlapping mental illness. There are four types of BPD and not everyone who is diagnosed with it acts the same way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 21, 2021 8:05 AM

DL has been obsessed with borderlines for as long as I can remember.

by Anonymousreply 211July 21, 2021 8:42 AM

It would be so useful to have a secret litmus test you could do on meeting someone for the first time, to know if they are personality-disordered or emotionally-unstable. It would save a lot of heartache and drama and toxicity.

That, or bring back asylums. I’m serious. In many cases it is more compassionate to take these people out of society and all its stress and expectation with which they cannot cope, as well as keep them away from others without these challenges. A lot of damage was done and a great deal of burden was dropped onto individuals and families when permanent sectioning was stopped. Maybe someone can implement a future model of sheltered care less torturous than the old stereotypical Nurse Ratchet one.

by Anonymousreply 212July 21, 2021 8:49 AM

R212 learn English and then come back to us with a response.

by Anonymousreply 213July 21, 2021 9:04 AM

“More compassionate to take these people out of society” and lock them up in asylums! You sound like a villain in a Disney movie.

by Anonymousreply 214July 21, 2021 10:13 AM

I'm somewhat glad I am not a teenager and have my whole life in front of me. The amount of psycho meds that a large number of people are taking will have a huge impact on future generations, insofar that everybody's mind is pickled with a cocktail of drugs that prevents them from thinking clearly and rationally.

by Anonymousreply 215July 21, 2021 11:02 AM

My boss was Borderline. I didn't know it at first. In the beginning I was like her angle, she even said she wanted to put me in her will. Later on I was the devil. Literally she would say things like that. Hot/Cold on a dime. And she was like that with almost everyone except her grifty life coach.

by Anonymousreply 216July 21, 2021 11:21 AM

You people seem to be describing a lot of un-diagnosed and un-medicated people. of course these people then are gonna make some of you go trough hell. I know a few people that are un-diagnosed and are like the devil incarnate and turn on and off on a dime. With the proper medication and lots of therapy progress can be made with these people if they are willing to put in the effort.

Stigmatizing and discriminating people with mental health problems doesn't add anything and encourages the individual to eschew treatment because then they end up believing that they are fine and don't need treatment.

I noticed that a lot of the people here on the Data Lounge who bully people they call "crazy", bi-polar, borderline etc are themselves not that stable and could really use help dealing with their mental health issues.

by Anonymousreply 217July 21, 2021 11:39 AM

R216 my last boss was the same way. She ensnared me at a very vulnerable point in my life, lovebombed me and gave me a lot of things I wanted, then turned on me when I confronted her about her business ethics. I was so naive, and unfortunately gave her a pass for too long out of pity and out of a misplaced sense of female solidarity (beware of that, it can bite you). I walked, went no-contact and sued, and it was the best thing I’ve done for myself in a decade.

by Anonymousreply 218July 21, 2021 11:54 AM

R217- borderline fuming .

by Anonymousreply 219July 21, 2021 3:17 PM

The National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder refers to it as both BPD and borderline personality disorder, and you can read about it the link, @207. If it's good for them, it's good for me. Plus, it's easier to type.

Back to my elderly mother's borderline husband who impedes her care at every turn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220July 21, 2021 5:08 PM

Borderlines are sympathy seekers and manipulators. I’ve seen some ruthless bipolars too.

by Anonymousreply 221July 21, 2021 6:05 PM

R216, she was diagnosed by a professional?

by Anonymousreply 222July 21, 2021 6:15 PM

I thought BPD wasn’t a thing anymore. They were instead diagnosing multiple factors rather than using a one size fits all blanket term.

by Anonymousreply 223July 21, 2021 6:15 PM

r223 I read a theory once (can't link because I forget where) that posited BPD was a sub-type of bipolar disorder.

Ultimately, all mental health diagnoses are social constructs anyway.

It would be interesting to have a time machine to see how the same symptoms are classified and treated in, say, 250 years.

by Anonymousreply 224July 21, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote] I read a theory once (can't link because I forget where) that posited BPD was a sub-type of bipolar disorder.

BPD is a personality disorder, bipolar is a mental illness that has a brain chemistry component to it. I don't think they are sub-types.

by Anonymousreply 225July 21, 2021 9:31 PM

Classic dichotomy, OP. Sick vs bad. The decision says as much about the decider as it does about the subject.

by Anonymousreply 226July 21, 2021 9:34 PM

There may be an organic component to BPD symptoms as well, r225. Iirc, that was their theory.

by Anonymousreply 227July 21, 2021 9:38 PM

The three bipolar people that I know are actually very good-hearted (though at times self-absorbed). They can be very exhausting, though.

by Anonymousreply 228July 21, 2021 9:45 PM

r216, I think you meant 'angel,' yes?

I'm seeing this spelling error a lot lately, and it's making my teeth itch.

by Anonymousreply 229July 21, 2021 11:33 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about R215. The drugs can help people think clearly and rationally again. Are you a Scientologist?

by Anonymousreply 230July 22, 2021 3:05 AM

[quote]You people seem to be describing a lot of un-diagnosed and un-medicated people. of course these people then are gonna make some of you go trough hell. I know a few people that are un-diagnosed and are like the devil incarnate and turn on and off on a dime. With the proper medication and lots of therapy progress can be made with these people if they are willing to put in the effort.

[quote]Was diagnosed by a professional?

Oh yes, big time. She was on about a dozen meds, met with very expensive psychiatrist every week for 2 decades apparently. Of coarse it's not like she told me that during the interview, it's shit I find out after I was stuck there and had left my other job. She tried every psyc drug out there nothing worked according to her. I think she enjoyed the high she got from some of those. High levels of depression, narcissism and suicidal ideation for good measure. Was hard to feel sorry for her, she had so much going for her both in terms of looks, wealth, healthy that other woman her age could only dream of. Still a miserable bitch half the time. On other days, a dream fruit fly, loved gay men.

by Anonymousreply 231July 22, 2021 3:51 AM

R215- the right meds make it so we DO think clearly and rationally. You’ve got it backwards.

by Anonymousreply 232July 23, 2021 6:53 AM

Jodi Arias is a borderline

by Anonymousreply 233July 23, 2021 3:35 PM

Crazy people generally have no real principles. They just love to stir the pot.

by Anonymousreply 234July 27, 2021 1:12 AM

Their suicidal / violent threats are almost invariably manipulation . They absolutely don’t care about anyone but themselves.

by Anonymousreply 235July 31, 2021 7:46 PM

I’m not letting go of my assertion. They are wicked to their core.

by Anonymousreply 236August 1, 2021 2:21 AM

R176 that sounds really fascinating. I think I will check it out.

by Anonymousreply 237August 1, 2021 3:19 AM

Never get in a relationship with one !

by Anonymousreply 238August 1, 2021 3:20 PM

Avoid all psychotic people.

by Anonymousreply 239August 1, 2021 11:04 PM

I am trying to close on my deceased mom/step-father's house with the step-sister, who is likely BPD. It's like being strapped to a bomb. When she gets wound up, attempts to pacify her on seem to further enrage her rather than calm her down.

by Anonymousreply 240August 1, 2021 11:31 PM

Scary! Video the times you are with her. They are prone to mendacious lies.

by Anonymousreply 241August 1, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote]Their suicidal / violent threats are almost invariably manipulation

If this were true, then they would rarely commit suicide. But suicide rates among people with both bipolar disorder and BPD are much higher than the general population.

by Anonymousreply 242August 2, 2021 10:31 AM

My uncle was bipolar (or manic depressive, which somehow seems like a better description); in a strange way, I think his mania is what enabled him to thrive up to a certain point in a high pressure job in the military, but once his promotion called for a different set of skills, he washed out & eventually retired. He consistently medicated with alcohol & though he wasn't a bad guy, he made life for his wife & kids very difficult and he died relatively young. I didn't know him well, but he always seems like a tragic figure: someone who wanted to do the right things, but just couldn't get him sorted enough to actually do them. So I do feel pity for bipolar people but also feel compassion for the people trying to deal with them as it's not easy

by Anonymousreply 243August 2, 2021 10:46 AM

Borderlines are cruel and cunning. I never met a bipolar that didn’t have passive aggressive rage .

by Anonymousreply 244August 2, 2021 1:51 PM

Yeah, the average life span of someone with bipolar is 50-65 years and that's natural deaths, not skewed by suicides. So that's not so great. I think the meds just fuck you up big time and if you have bipolar 1, you're pretty much screwed. I just try not to think about it and try and have a good, stable life. Pointless bitchery at DL helps.

by Anonymousreply 245August 3, 2021 12:10 AM

Sounds dreadful r245

by Anonymousreply 246August 3, 2021 12:24 AM

The diagnosed bipolar people I know are fully functioning and funny people. Highly productive. However, you will notice them sort of retreat from time to time. Other than that it seems that everyone who has any exposure to bipolar disorder, it's always the worst case scenario - someone strapped to a bed and shit. There are a ton of bipolar people who function just fine while on meds. It's true that some go off the meds but quite honestly that's in part a product of the horrible mental health treatment in America. You can't have a person who's bipolar seeing an ongoing therapist and then a psychiatrist once a month for a 15 minute med check. They need to be with a psychiatrist full time. The behavior can change and 15 minutes isn't enough to witness it. Many psychologists are equipped to pick up on it and when they do they can't fully explain it to the psychiatrist. Psychiatrists need to witness it themselves. Insurances only want to pay for a psychologist and a 15 minute psychiatrist. It's criminal. And then the poor individual goes off and does something destructive and they wonder why. Bipolars get every side effect known to man and no one knows why. So they need to be followed by a psychiatrist carefully. People go off meds because they get side effects and they have no one to turn to talk about it or explain it to them.

by Anonymousreply 247August 3, 2021 12:43 AM

r243 interesting observations. I'm an academic, and in some ways, I'd say being a manic depressive gives me a certain "edge" in the profession.

by Anonymousreply 248August 3, 2021 9:14 AM

Bipolars are toxic people

by Anonymousreply 249August 3, 2021 1:55 PM

Actually the assholes on this thread, R249 included, are more toxic than anyone with a diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 250August 4, 2021 4:36 AM

R250 is borderline offended

by Anonymousreply 251August 4, 2021 3:18 PM

They're not assholes, r250, they're trolls.

Punch and delete!!

by Anonymousreply 252August 4, 2021 3:20 PM

Borderlines are prone to irrational rages like r252

by Anonymousreply 253August 4, 2021 3:21 PM

R253 Why would anyone get mad about being called a toxic sociopath to be avoided at all costs? Moron.

by Anonymousreply 254August 4, 2021 5:02 PM

Borderlines are toxic sociopaths. Very covert about it too

by Anonymousreply 255August 4, 2021 6:41 PM

It seems the only ones who are very toxic are the ones with personality disorders like borderline, histrionic, narcissistic and antisocial. Mood, developmental or anxiety disorders like bipolar, ADHD, major depression, autism and social anxiety seem more self-harming and misunderstood. Schizophrenia is just horrifying and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 256August 4, 2021 6:51 PM

Bipolars are toxic and mean fucks

by Anonymousreply 257August 4, 2021 6:56 PM

I’m bipolar and I’m not toxic or mean.

by Anonymousreply 258August 9, 2021 2:48 AM

I spoke about bipolar disorder at the UN if you’re interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259August 9, 2021 2:50 AM

My dads second wife has BPD and it makes her demonic. It’s completely different from bipolar, she is actually an evil person. She tormented my dad so much, he suddenly died of a heart attack one day when she was being especially difficult. I try to pretend that she just doesn’t exist, the reality of her is too much to acknowledge and there’s never going to be a upside to knowing her.

by Anonymousreply 260August 9, 2021 1:52 PM

So sorry r260, they are demonic , exceedingly cruel

by Anonymousreply 261August 9, 2021 2:12 PM

90% of the 'borderlines' described in this thread don't even sound like they have BPD.

by Anonymousreply 262August 11, 2021 12:41 AM

R262, borderline offended and threatened

by Anonymousreply 263August 11, 2021 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!