Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Songs That Have Been Re-recorded by the Original Artist or the Artist Who Recorded the Most Popular Cover Version

Usually some of these are bad or completely unnecessary. But there are several that are quite good or even better than the original.

Some good examples include "Bless You" by Tony Orlando and Dawn, "Love Hurts" by Cher, "Right Back Where We Started From" by Maxine Nightingale.

Some bad examples include "Hey Now (Girls Just Wanna Have Fun)" by Cyndi Lauper, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler and "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" by Dead or Alive.

One notorious example is "Follow Me" by Amanda Lear which she has re-recorded at least ten times when the original is a hypnotic orchestral disco masterpiece in it's own right.

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2021 9:56 PM

I had no idea Cher recorded Love Hurts once, let alone twice.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2021 8:30 PM

The ‘New Vocal’ version of “Wuthering Heights” on Kate Bush’s The Whole Story compilation soars like an eagle over her twee original on her debut The Kick Inside album.

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2021 8:36 PM

Etta James recorded multiple versions of At Last. None were as good/great as her original.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2021 8:37 PM

“I will Always Love You” by Dolly as covered by Whitney. I still like Dolly’s version better, but many prefer the latter.

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2021 8:40 PM

Alison Moyet re-recorded Ode to Boy on her album Essex. The original is better, but the re-recording is in a different style, and doesn't suck.

Cyndi Lauper re-recorded who Let in the Rain from Hat Full of Stars on her Japan only album Shine. The original is better.

She also put out an album of acoustic re-recordings The Body Acousting.

I love the front porch blues feel of that version of She Bop.

Dolly also appeared on an acapella cover of Jolene with Pentatonix if that counts, R4

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2021 8:42 PM

OP: What's wrong with "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper? It's one of the great pop songs of the late 20th century.

Or for that matter, what's wrong with "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler and "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" by Dead or Alive?

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2021 8:46 PM

Best re-makes:

"Twist and Shout"---Beatles.

"Unchained Melody"---Righteous Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2021 8:52 PM

Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" works better coming from an older woman, I feel.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2021 9:00 PM

Pointer Sisters Dirty Work.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2021 9:14 PM

R6 Nothing is wrong with the original versions of these songs. It's the re-recorded versions that are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2021 9:20 PM

R4: Dolly did two versions of that song. The original was in the 1970s, and then in 1982 she sang it at the end of [italic]The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2021 9:23 PM

Cyndi Lauper's re-recording of I'm Gonna Be Strong for her 12 Deadly Cyns compilation has a folksier, more atmospheric vibe than the original version she did in 1980 as part of Blue Angel (her vocal stylings were also more mannered), but I love the rockabilly style of the first recording is simply sublime, and there's a rawness to her vocals that makes the song much more powerful.

Still, both versions are amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2021 9:28 PM

R2 I agree!

But I prefer the second version of her video. The one with the red dress and the forest as opposed to the theatrical backlit studio shot video with bad visual effects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2021 9:32 PM

To piggyback on the Wuthering Heights post, I had no idea that Pat Benatar did a cover until a couple of years ago.

It's actually not that bad as a rock ballad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2021 9:34 PM

Blondie recorded a new album of their 70s - 80s hits. But her old lady voice sounded autotuned, rather odd.

Maybe they lost the publishing rights to the originals?

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2021 9:41 PM

Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower was better than Bob Dylan's. (Which wasn't bad but Jimi took it to a whole new level, of course.)

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2021 9:43 PM

Alanis Morissette rerecorded Jagged Little Pills in acoustic

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2021 9:43 PM

[quote]Dolly did two versions of that song. The original was in the 1970s, and then in 1982 she sang it at the end of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

She also did it as a duet with Vince Gill in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2021 9:45 PM

Whitney Houston's cover of "Greatest Love of All" ended up being more popular than the original by George Benson.

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2021 9:50 PM

Righteous Brothers had the most popular version of "Unchained Melody." Although, I prefer the 1955 Les Baxter version that sound more like the orchestra version at the end of Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2021 9:53 PM

R16 here, I just thought of another one. Derek and the Dominos version of Little Wing I find superior to Jimi's. Eric Clapton may be an asshole but he frequently got it right.

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2021 9:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!