Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Helen Mirren's Golda Meir biopic

[...]

by Anonymousreply 86April 30, 2022 2:50 PM

Is she a Russian Jew?

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2021 7:27 PM

No, a "white Russian"--Czarist background.

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2021 7:28 PM

fun fact: Golda Meir got her degree from the University of Wisconsin before moving to Israel

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2021 7:32 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2021 7:32 PM

Golda my ear!

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2021 7:37 PM

It’s a biopic about Golda, not Palestine.

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2021 7:39 PM

Will Helen go with the same hair, makeup and dowdy dresses that Ingrid Bergman chose in her version 40 years ago?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2021 7:44 PM

I love her, but I don't know about this. The late Lynn Cohen did a wonderful job as Meir in "Munich". I was fortunate enough to meet her on the set of "The Feast Of The Seven Fishes", when I worked as an extra a few years ago (I happened to be in town, and was asked by some friends if I wanted to go. Of course I did).

Anyway, Lynn Cohen couldn't have been nicer. In between takes, (and despite protests from her little gay handler) she asked us if we wanted photos with her. We did. So, she was as nice a person as she was a talented actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2021 9:33 PM

I demand to play this. I am Jewish. Helen isn't. I will star, write, direct, executive produce and sing on the soundtrack. My song [italic] When Dreams Come True (Love Theme from 'The Chosen Woman: The Golda Meir Story') [/italic] will be nominated for Best Original Song.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote]fun fact: Golda Meir got her degree from the University of Wisconsin before moving to Israel

Yeah, so fun when a foreigner shows up and immediately has more rights than you and your family who've been there for generations. And then the ugly beast gets to decide you aren't human at all.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2021 9:48 PM

[quote]It’s a biopic about Golda, not Palestine.

Ironic that "woke" Hollywood still carves out a place for bullshit only when it comes to vilifying/deifying certain people. I guess that's why we've never seen Israelis portrayed as bad guys in films.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2021 9:52 PM

Oh, fuck me. I obviously didn't intend to post a paragraph about soup in this thread. I don't know what the hell happened. Disregard. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2021 10:19 PM

It's a movie that focuses on Meir's handling of the Yom Kippur war, OP, a conflict that really has nothing to do with "the Palestinians" because it was instigated by Egypt and Syria to reclaim territory lost six years earlier (the Sinai and the Golan Heights, respectively). Neither country granted citizenship to the paltry number of Palestinians they had accepted by 1973, with the exception of Christian refugees who married into Egyptian Copt families. The Yom Kippur war became a Cold War proxy conflict because the USSR supported Egypt and Syria so the USA had to intervene against the the evil communists and try to extricate those Arab countries from the Soviet sphere of influence. This strategy was successful in the case of Egypt but not in Syria due to the Assad family's close relations to the Communist Party.

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2021 11:10 PM

Ingrid Bergman? Helen Mirren? WHAT THE HELL?????

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2021 11:14 PM

Golda Meir quote re: Palestinians: 'we will have peace when they love their children more than they hate us.'

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2021 5:46 AM

R4: Mirren is, in fact, of Russian descent (born Helen Lydia Mironoff; her father was Russian).

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2021 7:57 AM

R4, Mirren is of half-Russian descent. She has also done a Russian accent before and played other Russian icons.

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2021 8:21 AM

I guess the producers figure that with Mirren the torrid nude lovemaking sequences will be more palatable to Western audiences. Or the iconic incident with Nixon where he walks in on Golda sitting starkers in the oval office to a tipsy declaration that "you see, Mr. president, I have nothing to hide."

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2021 9:23 AM

Still, Gold Meir was correct with this quote that can be applied to any advocacy: "Peace will come when the Arabs love their children more than they hate us". The world is a shithouse because most want others to capitulate instead of building and loving their own and being vigilant about it.

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2021 9:28 AM

Ingrid won her Emmy for playing Golda?

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2021 9:33 AM

This will be met with protests and boycotts. Is she insane?

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2021 9:52 AM

"and leave out all the Arab anti-Israel's existence stuff"

There, OP, fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2021 10:11 AM

Does Golda show her tits in this one?

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2021 10:46 AM

I bet she didn't shave or trim her bush. Will Mirren follow suit to go method?

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2021 10:53 AM

this never ended up happening

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2021 11:09 AM

Mirren's parents were Rissian emigres and she is fluent in Russian. She is a Brit of Russian descent ' very recent descent.

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2021 11:14 AM

Posmotri na moi siski.

by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2021 11:36 AM

Mirren doesn't speak Russian but her French is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2021 11:39 AM

[Quote]Ingrid won her Emmy for playing Golda?

R20 Yes, posthumously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2021 11:41 AM

Hahahaha, R27! Apt!

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2021 11:46 AM

[Quote]Posmotri na moi siski.

посмотри на мои сиськи

by Anonymousreply 31July 15, 2021 11:53 AM

Mirren will have to uglify herself for this role. Part of Golda Meir's mystique or whatever was that she was an ugly old woman in her seventies with orthopaedic shoes. She achieved her position by merit (although she was quite a slut in her youth, apparently).

by Anonymousreply 32July 15, 2021 11:55 AM

[quote]мои

нет, это мой

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2021 11:57 AM

Will the film recreate the iconic and legendary telephone call Golda Meir had with the greatest superstar, Barbra Streisand, during the [italic] Stars Salute Israel At 30 [/italic] celebration? Will the great Streisand record a new version of Hatikvah for the film?

by Anonymousreply 34July 16, 2021 8:03 PM

Just be happy Vanessa Redgrave isn’t playing her.

by Anonymousreply 35July 16, 2021 8:14 PM

Will the filthy hippo Random Jarrar have a heart attack when the Golda movie is released?

by Anonymousreply 36July 16, 2021 8:18 PM

Golda Meir's story is a fascinating one, born in the Russian Empire, raised and educated in the US, and then went on to help found and lead Israel. She was a Zionist, but one that hated the Arab exodus from Israel when it was founded. But, I think WWII really impressed upon her why her people needed Israel. During WWII she was an observer at a refugee conference in which all the leaders expressed sympathy for the plight of the Jewish refugees but said they couldn't let them in, so she became determined that her people would never again need hollow sympathy.

I am sorry but I have no sympathy left for the Palestinians. They have had numerous chances for peace and rejected it every time and they keep electing thugs who use civilians to harbor their explosives.

by Anonymousreply 37July 16, 2021 8:21 PM

I saw Mirren walking out of a theatre after a performance in NYC and getting into a cab in the late 90s I'm gay as hell, but I couldn't believe her fabulous gravity defying ass.

by Anonymousreply 38July 16, 2021 8:22 PM

[quote]all the leaders expressed sympathy for the plight of the Jewish refugees but said they couldn't let them in, so she became determined that her people would never again need hollow sympathy.

Something about this grabbed me by the throat. Nothing has changed in the world, has it? The exact same is happening to refugees all over the world now. It's really sad.

by Anonymousreply 39July 16, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote]Will the filthy hippo Random Jarrar have a heart attack when the Golda movie is released?

Oh my god, I hadn't thought of that, but it's true, her response to this movie is going to be hilarious. Will have to keep an eye out, haha!

by Anonymousreply 40July 16, 2021 9:35 PM

How will the over-exposed Mirren get the opportunity to display her breasts in this small story about a heavily-eyebrowed midget?

by Anonymousreply 41July 16, 2021 9:44 PM

Yes, we count ourselves lucky that the impressively wooden Gal Gadot didn't play Golda.

by Anonymousreply 42July 16, 2021 10:18 PM

I hate both the cunts, immensely.

by Anonymousreply 43July 16, 2021 10:22 PM

R42 She wants Wonder Woman and Golda? That’s going too far!

by Anonymousreply 44July 16, 2021 10:24 PM

R8 Holy shit, I never even realized that was Cohen playing Meir. Nice to hear she was such a nice lady in real life.

by Anonymousreply 45July 16, 2021 10:36 PM

If Gal Gadot played Golda Meir, Randa Jarrar would explode into a million pieces. Everything she hates in one package.

by Anonymousreply 46July 16, 2021 10:38 PM

R46, in that case DL should fund a Golda biopic starring Gal Gadot. Ridding the world of Random Jarrar, who would explode with fury, would be an act of charity we perform.

by Anonymousreply 47July 17, 2021 7:15 AM

[quote] I am sorry but I have no sympathy left for the Palestinians. They have had numerous chances for peace and rejected it every time and they keep electing thugs who use civilians to harbor their explosives.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!! You are an Islamophobe. Israel! Zionists! Islamophobe! The Palestinians are freedom fighters! Israel!! JEWS (Eewww)!!!! Israel! You are an Islamophobe!

Did we mention you are an Islamophobe? Israel! Zionists!!

by Anonymousreply 48July 17, 2021 7:19 AM

R47, I'm down!

Also "Random" Jarrar, haha!

by Anonymousreply 49July 17, 2021 7:28 AM

Actually, even better for explosive purposes, let's cast Gal Gadot as Yassar Arafat in a biopic of his life!

by Anonymousreply 50July 17, 2021 7:30 AM

Oh, and reveal the truth about Arafat dying of complications caused by AIDS, R50.

by Anonymousreply 51July 17, 2021 7:33 AM

[italic]Gal Gadot gives the performance of a lifetime in this gender-bending tale of the REAL man: Gadot IS Yasser Arafat!

"No one else could do the role justice" - Mahmoud Abbas.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 52July 17, 2021 7:36 AM

R52, it's a musical, isn't it? Gadot is rehearsing her twerk moves for the big production number, "Yass(er) Kween!!" featuring Arafat in drag and stripper stilletos, pretending to be some Egyptian belly dancing diva.

The mention of belly dancing will induce another stroke in Random Jarrar. Death by a thousand cuts!

by Anonymousreply 53July 17, 2021 7:49 AM

I think I love you, R53. That's hilarious and perfect! The touch of the belly dancing is genius!

Barbara Bush needs to be a character too, just to really give the knife an extra twist.

by Anonymousreply 54July 17, 2021 8:19 AM

Golda Meir. I ask you, is that a schlep?

by Anonymousreply 55July 17, 2021 6:02 PM

Don’t tell Cornell West about this. He was just fired by Harvard because of- yes, Palestine.

*sarcasm

by Anonymousreply 56July 17, 2021 7:17 PM

R54, Barbara Bush will also have her own musical number titled, "This worked out very well for them". The Empress of Cuntitude will be seen bursting into song at a state event when told about some Palestinian suicide bombers getting celebrated as heroes.

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2021 7:33 AM

Fun fact: Golda Meir’s brother, Oscar, invented sliced baloney.

by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2021 7:38 AM

She and her husband have put up their two decades long martial residence in LA for sale or rent, the rent being $45,000 a month. I’m repulsed by the idea that there are people who have the means to spend on a month’s rent more money then most average families barely make in a year. She’s played a Queen so often she must be living like one.

by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2021 7:44 AM

[quote] $45,000

I read some interview about a decade ago and the interviewer mentioned that Mirren had an Oscar, a good reputation, a million-dollar wardrobe, a husband and and four homes. And Mirren replied 'Well, I'm not happy. I still wake up quivering with indecision and self-doubt.

I didn't know what to think.

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2021 8:04 AM

[quote]She and her husband have put up their two decades long martial residence in LA for sale or rent, the rent being $45,000 a month. I’m repulsed by the idea that there are people who have the means to spend on a month’s rent more money then most average families barely make in a year. She’s played a Queen so often she must be living like one.

To live like a queen Helen Mirren will need a chef, a cleaner, a personal trainer, a driver, a make up artists, a stylist, regular deliveries from florists, massages, pedicures. That's a lot of jobs generated by the wealth that comes from someone having a successful career in a well paid profession that employs thousands and thousands of people.

by Anonymousreply 61July 19, 2021 8:06 AM

These are actions of someone who wants to live like a Queen.I doubt even RuPaul did that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 19, 2021 8:19 AM

R62 Fuck....ya gotta love her. She is DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2021 8:43 AM

When I heard this news, I was disappointed. I want a strong Jewish woman to play such a strong and proud Jewish woman. Do I think that non Jews can never play Jews, no. But, I so think when being Jewish is a vital part of the character’s identity, then yes, a Jew needs to be used.

However Helen has lived in Israel and is a strong advocate for Israel and the Jewish people. So, I am okay with this.

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2021 9:15 AM

R64 But was she Jewish Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 65July 19, 2021 10:12 AM

Hahahaha, R57! Randa is going to be so outraged!

by Anonymousreply 66July 19, 2021 11:44 AM

What about Tovah on the balcony?

by Anonymousreply 67July 19, 2021 11:50 AM

Will Helen go method and grow cankles?

by Anonymousreply 68July 19, 2021 1:23 PM

I think Tom Wilkinson would make a better Golda.

by Anonymousreply 69July 19, 2021 1:33 PM

Gene Hackman IS Golda Meir.

by Anonymousreply 70July 19, 2021 8:34 PM

At least it isn't M doing another of her accents to play Golda Meir.

by Anonymousreply 71July 19, 2021 8:48 PM

R57- [quote]Barbara Bush will also have her own musical number titled, "This worked out very well for them".

Barbara Bush also has a number in the first act, "Baby In A Bottle."

by Anonymousreply 72July 19, 2021 9:04 PM

What about a solo song called: "I'm a generous and smart and amazing racist (and I love it!)"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 19, 2021 9:19 PM

Jarrar would be killed in Gaza for being queer and showing too much cleavage.

That Golda Meir quote hit the nail on the head. Palestinians are so obsessed and toxic, they gladly sacrifice their children for a dead Jew.

by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2021 9:34 PM

Lucy was going to play golda but Gary made her turn it down and Ingrid Bergman got to the part.

by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2021 9:37 PM

Will Random Jarrar resist the urge to start dancing during "The Terrorist Tango" featuring would-be suicide bombers taking turns to first blow Yass(er) Kween and then blow up innocent civilians?

by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2021 9:40 PM

I was with her until she flashed her panties, r67.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 19, 2021 9:41 PM

Just be glad it’s not Imelda Staunton playing the role.

by Anonymousreply 78July 19, 2021 9:48 PM

I can't see Mirren in this role, but she's Goddess so she may pull it off

by Anonymousreply 79July 19, 2021 11:48 PM

Where is Tovah Feldshuh when you need her?

by Anonymousreply 80July 20, 2021 12:03 AM

Flashin' her panties...somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 81July 20, 2021 2:27 AM

[quote]Jarrar would be killed in Gaza for being queer and showing too much cleavage.

And her cleavage isn't the half of it. I still shudder when I remember I've pretty much seen her cunt in that video. Blegh!

by Anonymousreply 82July 20, 2021 11:35 AM

[quote]Imelda Staunton

I could barely stomach her in Vera Drake.

by Anonymousreply 83July 22, 2021 2:15 AM

Will she get her boobs out in this? I'm surprised she didn't have them out in "The Queen"

by Anonymousreply 84April 30, 2022 2:33 PM

[Quote] Does Golda show her tits in this one?

I don't know, but she should at least show her panties.

by Anonymousreply 85April 30, 2022 2:39 PM

[quote]нет, это мой

Comrade impostor, мой is singular, мои - plural

by Anonymousreply 86April 30, 2022 2:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!