Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I tried this Fritos Corn Chips and they're so FUCKING salty!!!!

This is such a travesty. I can't even indulge without getting parched every other minute. Its all the same with these junk foods. Salty things are too salty. Sweet things are too sweet. Greasy things are too greasy. Its like they can't balance the taste profile. I could use a good recommendation at this difficult time. Thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2021 4:58 AM

Stay parched.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2021 6:39 AM

Fritos taste great in chili

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2021 6:41 AM

Fritos are for poor people.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2021 6:43 AM

Thoughts & prayers..

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2021 6:44 AM

Sometimes it’s that particular batch, OP. I’ve had that happen before. I’ve seen overcooked ones too. Try a store brand.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2021 6:44 AM

Eat a bowl of oatmeal and go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2021 6:44 AM

R5 I'm not buying these again for sure.

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2021 6:46 AM

Although I haven't had them in years, bugles are better than fritos.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2021 6:52 AM

I buy the lightly salted Fritos all the time. They’re great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2021 6:56 AM

We have Salt and Shake in the UK which come with little blue packets of salt in them so that you can shake the salt over them yourself. Always thought they were gimmicky but my mum liked to get them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2021 6:57 AM

When I left the US, Fritos were something I craved because they aren’t sold in the UK outside import stores…unlike Doritos. I built them up in my mind so much, but when I had them again on a visit, it was disappointing because they were much more salty and oily than I remembered. They leaves a greasy film in the mouth. I agree Bugles are much better in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2021 7:06 AM

They are WAY too salty, and I've always thought so. The only way they work is if you put them in your typical, kind of sweet chili where the salt and sugar kind of balance each other out. That said, I haven't bought a bag of Fritos for probably at least a decade or more. They are way too salty on their own.

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2021 7:13 AM

Hola putas gordas! You know you want this Frito pie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2021 7:16 AM

Trader Joe’s organic corn chips are the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2021 7:38 AM

Haven't tasted the things for decades, but I recall them as quite salty from childhood. And Fritos smell like wet dog.

As for buying American junk snack food, I expect you're fucked. The composition is chemicals and a bit of puffed corn, maybe, flavored in 116 variations: Sriracha, Oreo, White Oreo, Tangy flavor, Zesty flavor, Pickles and Vinegar, Apple and Pumpkin Spice, Jalapeño and Dark Chocolate, Very Berry Explosion, Classic, Classic-Lite, etc., everyone of which will be way too salty or too sweet or both.

It's possible to find smaller brands of tortilla chips that have simple ingredients and good flavor, with the bonus of not leaving you with an orange ring around your mouth and glistening oily hands with a sort of flocked wallpaper effect of orange powder. Otherwise, it's tiny little bags for $7 of organic, artisanal chips made of yam and purple potato crisps that are neither crispy nor tasty nor anything you would want to put in your mouth unless you like dried moldy vegetable skins.

You could always fly to other countries and gorge on their snacks with fewer mysterious ingredients, better taste, and more realistic seasoning.

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2021 8:01 AM

I like Gardetto's

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2021 8:06 AM

I went to a county fair about five years ago. Among all the food vendors (bbq, burgers, etc), there was one stand that sold... I’m not sure what you’d call it, but for $5, you got an individual-sized bag of Fritos. Then the vendor would open the top of the Fritos bag, dump a ladle full of chili bens in there, diced onions, and nacho cheese in there. You ate the garbage with a plastic spork right out of the bag. Five years later and I still dry heave at the thought.

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2021 8:14 AM

ESL, OP?

by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2021 8:17 AM

Have you spoken to the Manager?

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2021 8:23 AM

I love Fritos but they repeat on me all day. No one needs corn chip burps.

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2021 8:24 AM

R17, that’s called a walking taco or Frito Pie.

Fritos give me heartburn. Remember Dipsy Doodles? Those damn things were like eating a bag of salt.

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2021 8:29 AM

R17 it's fritos pie. i'm sure there's other names for it, but yes, i probably wouldn't eat that. However, i would probably put a few fritos in my (sweeter) homemade chili. i do that sometimes with torn up bits of corn tortillas (hot).

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2021 8:30 AM

R13 had already mentioned the pie with an image link. A link with no preview though. It looks interesting. I'd munch on it.

by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2021 8:38 AM

I always buy the lightly salted version of everything and they taste good, so why do they put all that salt on the regular version in the first place? Doesn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2021 8:40 AM

There was a zoom room near the Chicago board of trade that offered Fritos over lettuce with taco meat and French dressing.

The last time I purchased Frito's, I omitted salt from the bean chicken and avocado soup. The salt and grease balanced out. I was stoned.

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2021 8:42 AM

the amount of salt and sugar in food in this country is fucking disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 26July 14, 2021 8:42 AM

These are the answer, OP. But beware: they're highly addictive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 14, 2021 8:50 AM

You're not supposed to buy Frito's anyway - the workers are on strike.

Buy generic corn chips. They cut your lips just as much as Frito's.

by Anonymousreply 28July 14, 2021 8:56 AM

I don't even like bbq or sour cream and onion flavors. i'm not a flavored chip person, not really a chip person most of the time. There used to be a really good chip out in the 80's called "O'Grady's." They were thick and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 29July 14, 2021 8:56 AM

I tried some when a friend who follows a gluten-free diet for glaucoma bought a bag with lunch. Yes, they were loaded with salt and grease. The scent of them reminded me of college, being broke, eating any old crap I could find.

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2021 9:25 AM

Don't buy cheap junk food. Buy expensive junk food. Less salty, less sweet. One has to pay more for less.

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2021 9:55 AM

I my fat whore days, there was nothing better than mixing salty chips of every kind into ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2021 5:40 PM

In* my

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2021 5:40 PM

As R9 said, there is a lightly salted version of Fritos. Please try them and stop your bitching!

by Anonymousreply 34July 14, 2021 5:46 PM

Can I offer you a nice egg in this trying time?

by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2021 5:50 PM

My all-time favorite Fritos were the Texas Grill version. But they were discontinued (sometime in the early 2000s). This has happened tons of times in my life: "Oh, you like that? We're not going to make it anymore."

It happened with the Magnum Infinity ice cream bars (the best one they ever made), KIND Roasted Jalapeño Bars, Ben & Jerry's "From Russia With Buzz" ice cream, Wendy's Fresh Stuffed Pitas (I know it's a burger chain, but fuck me those things were delicious...the Greek version was my favorite), Biotta Sauerkraut Juice, dishes at certain other chains and local places...I could go on. If I believed in that sort of thing, I'd swear to the gods I'm cursed.

ANYWAY...

For a long time now, my go-to corn chips have been Tostitos Hint Of Lime. I LOVE those fucking things. But I haven't had them in a long time, because I'm cutting carbs. I probably shouldn't love them as much as I do, because the odds of them being yanked off the shelves skyrocket when that happens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 14, 2021 6:01 PM

1. Salty

2. Sweet

No substitutions.

by Anonymousreply 37July 14, 2021 6:10 PM

Try crispbread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2021 6:13 PM

We need to bring back Melba toast - prunounced "toe-est".

Or shredded huhwheat

by Anonymousreply 39July 14, 2021 8:11 PM

R39 Melba Toast is available everywhere. I love Old London brand, topped with goat cheese and fresh tomatoes, or hot pepper jelly. I also love those crunchy sesame breadsticks that were once made available at salad bars/with salads at restaurants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 14, 2021 9:25 PM

Once in a great while, I like the chili version, bit otherwise they're best avoided.

by Anonymousreply 41July 14, 2021 9:53 PM

They're Fritos! What did you expect?

Eat broccoli and carrot sticks if you can't handle junk food, for crying out loud.

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2021 7:01 AM

I 2nd the Trader Joe's brand of fritos, they are less greasy and salty.

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2021 8:00 AM

Did we have a troll going state their boundaries about something salty the other day?

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2021 8:03 AM

R42 No, I won't. I demand appropriately salted junk food. Yes, I do.

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2021 8:05 AM

I've had the lightly salted Fritos. They really do taste much better than the regular Fritos, not only less salty but less oily, too.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2021 8:14 PM

They smell like dog feet.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2021 8:21 PM

I like Fritos, including the BBQ (barbecue) twists.

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2021 8:23 PM

They sell the "walking tacos" here at festivals, it's taco meat, cheese, lettuce, diced tomatos in a frito bag. I have never had one but they are popular. On the rare occasion I buy food at a fair or festival I like those Italian or Polish sausages on a bun. YUM

by Anonymousreply 49July 23, 2021 1:45 AM

I agree r42 so many people here with delicate stomachs. I don't eat junk every day but when I do it doesn't bother me, maybe I have a cast iron stomach.

by Anonymousreply 50July 23, 2021 1:46 AM

Fritos are too salty to eat on their own. They are delicious with simple homemade guacamole made without salt.

by Anonymousreply 51July 23, 2021 3:32 AM

Don't laugh, but I make a good "Mexican" layered dip. Fritos (the big scoops) are the best combo with my dip.

by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2021 3:35 AM

I don't keep crisps or corn chips in the house except the occasional single serve Pringles for my partner, but the last time I stayed at a pub too long, I bought a small bag of Fritos and they actually BURNED MY TONGUE they were so salty.

The feeling lingered a long while, as if a layer of skin had been removed. I've never been injured by a snack food before this!

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2021 4:34 AM

I love them with this onion dip. It's extra salty too. Reminds me of my childhood holidays in the 70's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2021 4:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!