Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Donner Party

Why hasn't this been made into a cable or streaming series yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2021 1:57 AM

There's a 2009 movie with Crispin Glover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2021 2:05 PM

Too soon.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2021 2:09 PM

I could see it as a musical, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2021 2:12 PM

There is a great Ken Burns film too,

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2021 2:14 PM

It was really rather foolish to believe they'd cross the snowy, intrepid Sierra Nevadas in late October. Even in the middle of summer, storms and weather are a real possibility up there.

by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2021 2:16 PM

I'm still waiting for the Dyatlov Pass series.

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote]I could see it as a musical, perhaps.

God, that's good!

by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2021 9:01 PM

R3 Done!

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2021 9:04 PM

I wish someone would do a Donner/Dyatlov-mash-up-via-tesseract movie. That would be some severely fun shit!

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2021 9:15 PM

After going though all that, poor man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2021 9:27 PM

That Hastings cutoff -- which took them through the Great Salt Lake Desert and added 40 miles to their commute, and multiple extra weeks of travel -- really screwed them.

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2021 10:05 PM

It’s a depressing story. There isn’t any redemption, just misery. I guess you’d have to approach it as a disaster film.

The only way to sew it up with a message is “there’s no god and we’re all helpless, disposable trash,” but that’s not terribly uplifting, either.

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2021 3:15 PM

R12, I would imagine the story would be told through the perspective of the Reed family. They're one of two families who all survived, and supposedly, they never partook in the eating of human flesh..

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2021 5:52 PM

[quote]R13 They're one of two families who all survived, and supposedly, they never partook in the eating of human flesh..

Yuh. So THEY say.

They had the blood of babies dribbling down their chins ! !

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2021 6:40 PM

The feel good story of the year!

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2021 6:43 PM

An ABC After School Special!

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2021 6:46 PM

That's my new album: "Madonna Party"!

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2021 6:50 PM

^Speaking of school, was this story taught in elementary schools outside of California? I remember it being taught in a sort of module about 'California history' and the pioneers..

by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2021 6:51 PM

Yeah I learned way more about the Dinner (autocorrect ha) party and poor defenseless white settlers attacked by Indians than I ever did about the lives of slaves or native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2021 6:56 PM

R14, you're probably right. I don't see how they could've survived four months of being snowed-in without resorting to cannibalism like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2021 10:38 PM

Preston and Child in their novel Old Bones provide an interesting and chilling interpretation of how the Donner Party fell apart.

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2021 11:08 PM

Don't give Ryan Murphy any ideas.

by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2021 11:10 PM

I would be checking with my attorney about this for my old friends, but I ate him.

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2021 11:14 PM

I spent many summers of my childhood at Donner Lake. The Donner Party was the first horror story I ever knew and it was real. f you visit Donner Lake park they preserved the pit where they burnt...things. We kids ran around the beautiful Sierras chomping on our arms and screeching yum!!!!

As an adult what I remember most is that women do MUCH better than men physically when starving--the men caved surprisingly fast in fact. The other thing that stayed with me is the young girl who went off with a small group to get help and as they were crawling up a mountainside, weak with hunger, she was suddenly struck with how beautiful and astounding nature is.

She survived, her companions didn't. Someone told me later that people who can hang on to one beautiful thing in the midst of horror have a better chance of living.

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2021 11:21 PM

[quote] As an adult what I remember most is that women do MUCH better than men physically when starving--the men caved surprisingly fast in fact.

There is definitely truth to this. On shows like Survivor, I've noticed it's usually the otherwise strong young men who succumb the hardest to starvation/lack of food -- probably because their bodies are so used to high-calorie diets, having no food at all is a shock to their system.

But in the case of the Donner party, it was also the younger men who were out chopping trees, tending to the oxen, etc. That level of exertion wasn't offset with enough food. Women's bodies also have a greater percentage of stored body fat.

by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2021 11:28 PM

[quote]r25 But in the case of the Donner party, it was also the younger men who were out chopping trees,[bold] tending to the oxen[/bold], etc.

I thought this said "tending the OVEN" (!!!)

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2021 11:33 PM

R25 I don't know that the men were working harder but certainly muscle takes more calories to maintain than fat. Another marked difference in survival was BETWEEN men. The single guys died first.

by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2021 11:41 PM

[quote] Another marked difference in survival was BETWEEN men. The single guys died first.

Yeah -- they had no family unit for sharing secretly-hoarded food, relatives to nurse them, money to barter, etc. The teamsters had it rough.

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2021 11:44 PM

Worst. Party. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2021 11:47 PM

Why didn't they pack the Tupperware ?

by Anonymousreply 30July 16, 2021 12:08 AM

The Ken Burns series said it all. "Never take no shortcuts".

by Anonymousreply 31July 16, 2021 12:08 AM

Werner Herzog needs to make a movie about the Donner Party. Can you imagine the narration?

by Anonymousreply 32July 16, 2021 12:15 AM

[quote] "Never take no shortcuts".

R31, that's also a quote from Virginia Reed, one of the survivors who was all of 12-years-old when this went down.

Damn, people back then were certainly made from different stuff -- constantly and hastily burying their own infants, setting off into uncharted unknown. I'll try to remember that next time I feel down re: covid..

by Anonymousreply 33July 16, 2021 12:20 AM

How about a musical?

by Anonymousreply 34July 16, 2021 12:21 AM

R325, my grandfather was in a POW camp in WWII. They were all men and they were starved and beaten. When he returned home, he weighed less than 100 pounds.

He was short, about 5’6.” He said there were other men there that were much taller and stockier than him. They had a much harder time of it, were always hungrier than the others and got really desperate for food. They would risk their lives to get a few extra crumbs. It was as if they lost all self control. They would fight others or do whatever. His mind seemed to stay clear longer. He needed less calories than they did to live.

Women have a much higher percentage of fat. They can lose a lot more weight without really touching their muscle, so they can buy extra time. Men are mostly muscle and when you get down to the burning muscle stage, your heart is a muscle. That’s why Karen Carpenter died. Men are going to get to that point much sooner than women. They don’t have as much to spare.

by Anonymousreply 35July 16, 2021 12:24 AM

Sorry, that’s for R27. ^^

by Anonymousreply 36July 16, 2021 12:25 AM

Maybe Armie Hammer could make his return to the screen in this.

by Anonymousreply 37July 16, 2021 12:37 AM

R37, is he a method actor? Or would he be method acting just for this film?

by Anonymousreply 38July 16, 2021 12:44 AM

Hammer isn't a cannibal. One of his retarded girlfriends pretended to take "I wanna eat you" literally for a payday through blackmail and obscene media coverage.

by Anonymousreply 39July 16, 2021 12:45 AM

[quote] Don't give Ryan Murphy any ideas.

Ryan Murphy's Donner Party would look overly-glossy and plastic, with Bette Midler and Patti Lupone hamming it up as they gnaw on leg bones.

by Anonymousreply 40July 16, 2021 6:37 PM

A Donner Party-themed dinner party would be fun.

by Anonymousreply 41July 17, 2021 9:28 PM

It should be a rustic cookout, over an open fire.

by Anonymousreply 42July 18, 2021 1:11 AM

Rack of man;

glazed frau loin;

Full rack of spare ribs

by Anonymousreply 43July 18, 2021 3:56 PM

R43 Ladyfingers for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2021 10:15 PM

If the Donner Party had been offered my cooking they still would have eaten each other.

by Anonymousreply 45July 21, 2021 10:19 PM

How about a special on the food Network? A Survivor episode?

by Anonymousreply 46July 21, 2021 10:22 PM

James Reed -- ostensibly the 'hero' in any cinematic version of this story -- was 46 during the Donner Party voyage. Who plays him (and wife) in the film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 21, 2021 11:27 PM

R47, Phil Burke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 21, 2021 11:34 PM

This is why I am NEVER without my Snack Purse.

by Anonymousreply 49July 21, 2021 11:42 PM

Chrissy Metz could live for a decade off of that fat hump.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2021 1:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!