Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix Is Losing Its Cool

Netflix, you in danger gurl!

Even as it dominates globally, the streaming giant no longer shines. HBO Max and Disney+, your move.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 26, 2021 6:34 PM

I can't think of anything more uncool than Disney+.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2021 12:14 AM

Will Harry's documentary about the Invictus Games in the spring 2022 be enough to bring back the Netflix cool? That's all the Markles have lined up for now.

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2021 12:16 AM

The shows are starting to feel like they are created from algorithms, which they probably are.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2021 12:21 AM

Netflix has nothing I want to watch. In my head, they should be like a streaming Blockbuster. Wanna watch “Midnight Cowboy” or “The Maltese Falcon” or “Harry Potter and the Execrable Taco”? You should be able to call it up and watch it on Netflix. Almost everything I want to watch is available for rental on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2021 12:26 AM

I've never liked most of their original shows. What R3 says rings true to me for so many of them. I loved The OA, but shows like Stranger Things don't even come close to living up to all the hype around them.

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2021 12:29 AM

So much crap. And a miserable search function.

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2021 12:33 AM

They need classic movies stat. 40s, 50s etc up to 80s and even 90s

Also, stop handing fucking ridiculous sums to Prince Harry de Montecito, Shonda et al. The Ryan Murphy experiment has failed dismally and I write that as someone who hung on in there with his work but couldn’t get through Ratched or The Politican.

I like some original content - Ozark is my favourite but it will end soon so we shall see what’s next.

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2021 12:33 AM

I originally loved Netflix early on because it had an endless supply of classic movies. I was in my early 20s at the time. I guess they don't have streaming rights to many classics. Most of their own productions aren't very good.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2021 12:35 AM

I agree. Sometimes on a Saturday afternoon, you want to see some rando b&w movie about a desperate woman from the 40’s and what she did for love. Then take a nap, later in the evening, get high and go out with your friends for a drink. Use the same lines you heard from the afternoon movie, and laugh to yourself about the inside joke. Life’s a goddamn gas.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2021 12:40 AM

R7, actually, Netflix does have some good shows, like “Ozark”. There was also a bizarre and quirky British show called “Flowers” (starring DL favorite O Colman!) offered on Netflix for a bit.

But yeah, the original model of being a kind of replacement for the neighborhood video store was cruelly abandoned. There was a fantastic video store down Third Avenue that hung on as long as it could. It hurts my heart that it was pushed out and we were victims of a bait and switch.

Our DVD player died and it doesn’t even matter.

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2021 12:46 AM

Ditto most comments. We seldom watch anything on Netflix anymore. Mediocre is the perfect word for 90% of their fare. We watch Amazon, mostly, along with HBO Now and Hulu.

I wish Shudder had better offerings, as we're always up for horror.

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2021 12:51 AM

Yes I agree. Also they have let go of shows I like, especially Glow. They need to be more discerning about what they commission. There lack of promotion for some shows has back fired I think. I watch a lot of HBO. Netflix not a lot anymore

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2021 12:53 AM

I’ve noticed that they are pushing their foreign-language programming. I don’t know if there’s some algorithm that told them I like it, or what. And I feel like the algorithm is hiding things from me that I might actually like. Is that possible?

If they try raising their prices again, they’re going to lose me.

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2021 12:59 AM

Yep, their "we're too cool to tell you what shows we produce" experiment worked really well on younger people but it totally backfired with me (gen X, 43).

Everytime I sign on, all these new show title cards come up but I have no idea what they are about, they seem to be a dime a dozen, I don't recognize any of the actors, and I just don't want to click through an endless supply of screens to find something that sounds vaguely interesting. Especially when I know from experience there's a 90 percent chance it'll be poorly written and executed.

Honestly, Netflix seems like the natural home for Ryan Murphy. Lots of slick imagery and good concepts that always fail in execution. I did watch The Politician and in a way it is the embodiment of both his series and most Netflix series: just a total crash and burn in the end after a half-hearted effort, and as soon as one ends, 40 more new series are in the pipeline.

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2021 1:05 AM

[quote]They need classic movies stat. 40s, 50s etc up to 80s and even 90s

HBO Plus has a dedicated TCM area of its site.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2021 1:05 AM

I never watch Netflix anymore. I'd cancel it but my husband finds stuff to watch on it. I like HBOMax, but the Roku app sucks and their interface is so complex it never loads right - and I pay top dollar for my internet so it is not that.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2021 1:12 AM

I only re subscribe when a new season of the The Crown appears.

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2021 1:14 AM

Disney is for kids and for guys who like Marvel and Star Wars. I'm not interested in any of that dreck.

Other than Netflix, which I love, the only other platform that I'd be interested in is HBO+, but it's too expensive for what you get. Amazon is blah.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2021 1:14 AM

HBO Now, HBO Max, or HBO plus?

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2021 1:23 AM

I have a new LG TV and it's annoying that it only has Netflix and Amazon Prime apps. No HBO, no Hulu. I have to use an Amazon Firestick to get to access them, which totally defeats the purpose of the Amazon Prime app.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2021 1:23 AM

I thought the Obamas were supposed to create interesting content. Did they fail to bring in the black audience?

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2021 1:23 AM

R21, The Obamas are producers of Too Hot to Handle on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2021 1:27 AM

Netflix pays top dollar but their productions suck more often than not. Stranger Things is their only true blockbuster.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote]The Obamas are producers of Too Hot to Handle on Netflix.

A reality show? I thought they were hired to create content on a more intellectual level.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2021 1:31 AM

Try Netflix Canada, where they hype and showcase a movie that looks really good, and then you find it’s a Spanish movie with subtitles. I don’t want to read a movie.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2021 1:32 AM

[quote]Netflix pays top dollar but their productions suck more often than not. Stranger Things is their only true blockbuster.

The Crown has done well.

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2021 1:32 AM

HBO came in and truly steamrolled. Remember just one year ago their small subscriber numbers and lack of hype were given headline treatments? Now, ALL anyone talks about is HBO. The movie exclusives, the shows, the documentaries, etc. It's the only service worth subscribing to IMO, and Hulu is second. Amazon is lucky their service is bundled with Prime, but their selections and user interface are pretty awful.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2021 1:36 AM

House of Cards and Orange is the New Black put Netflix on the original series map and both were bona fide "blockbusters" (or hit critically acclaimed TV shows, anyway).

Kimmie Schmidt, Grace & Frankie, Stranger Things, Bridgerton, Glow and a few others have become very buzzworthy, plus that terrible Sandra Bullock movie Birdbox.

But percentagewise, considering Netflix's volume of output, that's pretty terrible. That's like the equivalent of ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox producing one hit show every 10 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2021 1:40 AM

HBO Max has good "classic" films. That plus TCM on demand gives me my fill of classic film selections.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2021 1:43 AM

I’ve never even seen Stranger Things.

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2021 1:44 AM

I discovered Häxan from TCM via HBO. It was really interesting. This is the kind of interesting thing I always hope to find randomly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2021 1:45 AM

[quote]Amazon is lucky their service is bundled with Prime, but their selections and user interface are pretty awful.

It's great for things like bottom-of-the-barrel 80s movies, TV movies, and such.

What other service has Cloris Leachman's 1975 VD movie "Someone I Touched"?

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2021 1:53 AM

I rarely watch Netflix, don't know why I keep it. Wish I could get TCM on-demand and Criterion, but they don't work with my Samsung tv. At least there's the TCM section (with select Criterion titles) on HBOMax. Plus I have Mubi, Amazon Prime and Apple to rent older and foreign films. Just last week, I watched Wait Until Dark (1967) on HBOMax and Vacation From Marriage (1945, with Robert Donat and Deborah Kerr) on Apple.

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2021 1:55 AM

I don't get the complaints about Amazon's interface. At least on the Firestick (I can't speak for the Prime Video app.), I find everything very easily. Unlike Netflix, Amazon's search feature always returns what I am looking for. The navigation is great IMO; the only annoyance is that so many videos come up in searches but can only be viewed in other apps or for a fee.

So many people complain about Amazon's navigation and seem fine with Netflix's. I find that so interesting. Back in ye olden dayes when people read things called books, I loved Borders and so easily found interesting selections there, while I was routinely confounded by Barnes & Noble's chaotic organization.

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2021 2:05 AM

I agree R34. Amazon isn’t particularly slick but it’s easy enough to find what you want, whereas Netflix autoplays annoying trailers and never remembers to show me a new season of a show I’ve watched in the past.

Of their current series, I like Ozark and Grace & Frankie (both of which are ending with their next seasons), and I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson (which has released about 3 hours of episodes over 2 years). I’m still mad that they canceled GLOW. Among the new series I’ve sampled within the last year (Away, Ratched, Bridgerton, Never Have I Ever), I didn’t make it to the second episode of a single one.

Their rare higher-end original movies (Irishman, Roma, Marriage Story) get released in theaters anyway, and that’s how I’d rather see them. But most of their original movies are Hallmark knockoffs, teen romcoms, and DTV-style action trash.

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2021 2:16 AM

Criterion and Mubi have great movie selections.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2021 2:17 AM

[quote]Will Harry's documentary about the Invictus Games in the spring 2022 be enough to bring back the Netflix cool? That's all the Markles have lined up for now.

R2, Do you psychos ever shut the fuck up?

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2021 2:21 AM

Amazon's interface for browing is horrible but their selection of off the beaten path films are unparalleled. I just search for movies on Tubi and 9 times out of 10, they'll have it on Amazon but without the ads. Good selection of 80s DTV, TV movies, and other stuff I would never have known existed. Their selection of big studio films are also pretty decent, with some films available for streaming that have only been out for a few months. Their interface really is shit though, especially on TV.

by Anonymousreply 38July 8, 2021 2:24 AM

Even though I watch some of them, like Nailed It and The Floor Is Lava, I hated when Netflix got into reality. It should have stuck with nothing but prestige.

by Anonymousreply 39July 8, 2021 2:26 AM

R37. We're talking about the success/appeal or lack of regarding Netflix. So why don't you STFU?!

Netflix supposedly gave the Markles a considerable amount of money and they haven't delivered any content yet. Their first attempt will be a documentary about the Invictus Games that is scheduled to air in the spring of 2022 just before the actual Games take place in The Netherlands. It's a legitimate question to ask if the public will be interested in a documentary about the Invictus Games. It sounds rather ho-hum to me, but I would like to see if anyone else thinks this topic will interest the public.

by Anonymousreply 40July 8, 2021 2:38 AM

Netflix used to be good and had lots of stuff I wanted to watch. I think their main problem is that all the studios are coming out with their own streaming platforms now and taking all their stuff off Netflix leaving us only with "Netflix originals" which are not all that great. Netflix started a good thing with streaming and now everybody wants to get in on it. They all take their own slice of the pie and now it appears all Netflix gets is the scraps they're leaving behind.

by Anonymousreply 41July 8, 2021 2:41 AM

Besides them constantly upping their rates, they strayed away from what made them successful - being like a streaming or mail video store. Now almost everything is their own shitty content that nobody asked for. There are so many better streaming platforms to choose from now depending on what you like.

by Anonymousreply 42July 8, 2021 2:43 AM

I remember when people were saying that streaming was going to revolutionize filmmaking. However, it seems like we've just been getting the same crap we've always gotten, just in bigger quantities. The VHS boom in the 80s meant that many independent filmmakers could get their films released without the help of a major studio. The only difference now is that in addition to the major studios, you now have Amazon and Netflix as gatekeepers. Either crap geared to a very broad demographic or awards chasing crap. Nothing else in between. VOD was the last hope but it looks like that is on its way out.

by Anonymousreply 43July 8, 2021 2:48 AM

Context? Your body just repeats what’s in the link’s headline.

by Anonymousreply 44July 8, 2021 2:54 AM

Netflix just signed a deal with Sony to be the streamer for their theatrical releases, which might be a good boost for both. Sony, unlike the other studios, doesn't have its own streaming service. And Netflix needs access to studio output now that the other studios are moving their content to their own streamers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2021 3:03 AM

Sony is stupid. They should have created their own streaming platform.

by Anonymousreply 46July 8, 2021 3:26 AM

In the UK we have Great! which was the Sony Movie Channel. It shows Z list movies, so I dunno what Netflix will show. I only have a subscription because of The Crown & old RuPaul shows. Kimmy Schmidt, Grace & Frankie were good, but that's about it.

My 92 year old dad loves it. He watches the Mr Bean movie every day. The only problem is that he often just puts on whatever the recommendation is, say a Korean Teen drama show. He falls asleep, then because he's napped through the whole show he then gets nothing but Korean Teen drama shows as offerings. So I have to delete his viewing record to stop him getting them.

I've got a great IPTV provider that has every movie and show you could think of. If it hasn't you just go to a website and order it and a day later it's on.

by Anonymousreply 47July 8, 2021 3:55 AM

[quote]I thought the Obamas were supposed to create interesting content. Did they fail to bring in the black audience?

You do realize that their documentary, "American Factory" on Netflix was nominated for an Oscar?

You do realize that in addition to that, they've only done two other projects?

You do realize that they have about 13 more projects coming up?

I'm sure Netflix is happy with them thanks to that Oscar nom. :)

[quote] I think their main problem is that all the studios are coming out with their own streaming platforms now and taking all their stuff off Netflix leaving us only with "Netflix originals" which are not all that great.

I said last year, that HBOMax would eventually become the fan-favorite and one day overtake Netflix. I was laughed at by several people on the thread. Here we are now, a year in, and Netflix is rightfully shaken. HBOMax is now the fan-favorite. Unlike some of these other streaming platforms, they already had a broad fanbase so that gave them a leg up from the start.

But here's the thing: Netflix started this. They decided a long time ago that they'd start producing more of their own programming and cut out everyone else. They figured in the long run that it would be cheaper. They don't have to set up deals and license projects from other companies. Instead, they could just make their own and keep everything.

Then those same programmers decided that they were going to just go ahead and have their own streaming platforms. Netflix is not the only game in town anymore.

And it doesn't help that they're more interested in quantity over quality. The Ryan Murphy deal was a loss. The Shonda Rhimes one was a good move. The Greg Berlanti one has yet to be seen. The network tells you what it wants you to watch. They make it hard to find anything else.

[quote]Sony is stupid. They should have created their own streaming platform.

They're not stupid. The market is already saturated. By teaming up with Netflix they'll get access to their userbase and they won't have to go through the trouble of having their own streaming platform that will likely become a shell of itself in a few years once the streaming wars have settled.

Netflix, HBOMax, Disney+, Amazon Video and Hulu will all survive no matter what.

CBS All Access has already been rebranded as Paramount+ since CBS and Viacom have remerged.

WarnerMedia has other services planned beyond HBOMax but they would be smarter to just throw it all under one service.

Peacock bundles itself with select cable services for free so they'll be around for a bit. You could pay for it on your own but you don't have to.

Apple TV+ will finally be put to the test since many of its free subscribers that have been there from the start will now be asked to pay.

Quibi is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 48July 8, 2021 4:01 AM

Do you have ad-free or ad-supported HBO Max? There's a $5 difference. I'm not sure I could tolerate watching ads every 10 minutes.

Does HBO Max have any good original programming? I'm not interested in Game of Thrones. Why is it so much more expensive than Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 49July 8, 2021 4:19 AM

[quote]Does HBO Max have any good original programming? I'm not interested in Game of Thrones. Why is it so much more expensive than Netflix?

It's got mostly all, if not all, the HBO originals going back to The Sopranos.

Sunday is the premiere of The White Lotus, Mike White's latest miniseries. Reviews say if you liked Enlightened you'll like this too.

by Anonymousreply 50July 8, 2021 4:31 AM

Does it have all the old Real Sex episodes that used to be on HBO years ago?

by Anonymousreply 51July 8, 2021 4:37 AM

[quote] Netflix has nothing I want to watch. In my head, they should be like a streaming Blockbuster. Wanna watch “Midnight Cowboy” or “The Maltese Falcon” or “Harry Potter and the Execrable Taco”? You should be able to call it up and watch it on Netflix. Almost everything I want to watch is available for rental on Amazon Prime.

I agree with all the above. Netflix has all these “4K UHD” original series and movies that are mostly garbage. Sometimes they’ll do a true crime show that I’ll watch all of, but the rest of their stuff has piss-poor writing and is either aimed at teenagers or trying to be woke and fill quotas or something.

They have very few catalog titles in their movies. HBO Max, Showtime, and Amazon have much better selections, although Amazon has serious quality control issues, both with the encoding of their streams (some movies are basically unwatchable; they look like a 240p YouTube upload from 2007) and with the writing in the synopses. They don’t even get the years of release correct the majority of the time. I’m fairly certain they give the movie synopsis jobs to 19-year-old interns whose first language isn’t English and who have never watched a film before. It’s that bad.

But yeah, Netflix is overall worse. Their reign of terror can’t end soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 52July 8, 2021 4:45 AM

Oh god, I forgot about Ozark, which I love to death. Sorry about that, Netflix. But everything else sucks.

by Anonymousreply 53July 8, 2021 4:50 AM

[quote]They have very few catalog titles in their movies. HBO Max, Showtime, and Amazon have much better selections, although Amazon has serious quality control issues, both with the encoding of their streams (some movies are basically unwatchable; they look like a 240p YouTube upload from 2007)

I've seen some Amazon Prime titles that were clearly duped off old VHS tapes. If it's the right kind of movie, it can give it some grindhouse flavor.

by Anonymousreply 54July 8, 2021 4:54 AM

True, R54, but those invariably have low bitrates on top of being conversions from videotape. One thing you can say about videotape, as crappy as it was, it didn’t have fucking macro-blocking on top of the technical limitations of consumer-grade tape.

R51, I was just thinking about Real Sex the other day. When I was a horny (pre-)adolescent in the early 90s, my buddies and I always looked forward to the latest episodes. So much nudity, wow! Good stuff. It’s how I first learned about Annie Sprinkle. I don’t think they’re all on HBO Max yet. I also wish they’d include the old America Undercover episodes, but they haven’t. Like this one… (at least watch the first 5 minutes if you’ve never seen it)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 8, 2021 5:02 AM

R46 r48 doesn't Sony have Crackle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 8, 2021 5:11 AM

Netflix does what it has always done, quantity. It releases all kinds of stuff, so that at least a few releases are of interest for the individual viewer. Which works especially well for those who like foreign original shows (like Elite, House of Flowers, Club of Crows, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 57July 8, 2021 5:12 AM

Amazon has also presented censored versions of films, which is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 58July 8, 2021 5:40 AM

Is there a horror only streaming service?

by Anonymousreply 59July 8, 2021 10:08 AM

R59 Shudder!!!

by Anonymousreply 60July 8, 2021 10:20 AM

Shudder sucks. It has the same lame selection and rarely updates. Some of their originals are decent, but they’re few, and they seem to end up on Prime anyway. It’s a cheap enough subscription, but I literally could have rented the movies I watched on it in a year for less.

by Anonymousreply 61July 8, 2021 1:24 PM

Another good thing about Amazon Prime is that you can, for just a few $ more, subscribe to additional hubs with more content. Two hubs I have are Dekko, for gay films, and Masterpiece, which includes not just programs that have aired on Masterpiece but also foreign series; shows I've watched on it recently include The Jewel in the Crown (which I was too young to watch when it originally aired) and Vienna Blood, a terrific mystery series featuring hot Austrian daddy Juergen Maurer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 8, 2021 1:39 PM

Can you believe it?

Under most circumstances, I wouldn’t.,

There

Is little reason to

Ever think they could get that

Stagnant, but they have

Done so.

I

Do not foresee

The trend reversing.

How happy the studios will be

If their

Streaming services succeed.

by Anonymousreply 63July 8, 2021 3:13 PM

This is the dumbest article ever. She's trying to convince people that HBO is the new streaming darling because of movie premieres like King Kong and Mortal Kombat? Really?? They may have more movie premieres, but they're all trash.

Disney is the only platform that can compete with Netflix because they own the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, plus all the kid-friendly content. I personally don't care about any of that, so it doesn't appeal to me, but it has major appeal to lots of people.

by Anonymousreply 64July 8, 2021 3:28 PM

I think Netflix needs to step up it’s game. We haven’t watched a thing since Queen’s Gambit (which we loved), we feels like forever ago. We don’t yet have all the streamers and hear great things about other shows such as Ted Lasso, so will probably give it another couple months before cancelling and picking up Apple+ or other service.

by Anonymousreply 65July 8, 2021 3:55 PM

[quote]doesn't Sony have Crackle?

Hi, R56! Sony sold off all of Crackle in 2019 to Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment. Prior to that they owned it for a few years but they didn't originate the service.

The other problem is, and probably why they got rid of it, it's a completely free service.

[quote]Does HBO Max have any good original programming? I'm not interested in Game of Thrones. Why is it so much more expensive than Netflix?

Hacks with Jean Smart! They also had Mare of Easttown, Joss Whedon's "The Nevers" (which I didn't like),The Flight Attendant, a few of the DC Network Shows like Doom Patrol and now Titans. I also watched the first season of Raised by Wolves. They also aired that Hugh Grant/Nicole Kidman mini-series The Undoing. For the kiddos they're doing Gossip Girl. Besides having the DC library they also have Studio Ghibli's animated projects.

by Anonymousreply 66July 8, 2021 4:03 PM

Crackle sucks. It was a pain in the ass to try and watch those shows on that platform. Now many of them are on some Canadian platform.

by Anonymousreply 67July 8, 2021 4:08 PM

R59, Tubi has TONS of horror movies, great stuff!

It's not just a horror channel, but it has so many good chillers!

I hate ads, though.

by Anonymousreply 68July 8, 2021 4:26 PM

Tubi is where I finally saw SWEET KILL, a 1972 attempt to relaunch Tab Hunter's career. He played a repressed mama's boy who lived on the Venice boardwalk and had to kill women to feel any arousal. It wasn't good, but I was glad I saw it. Thanks, Tubi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 8, 2021 11:22 PM

Use the pirate sites, it's all free and you get all the content.

by Anonymousreply 70July 9, 2021 12:34 AM

R70, but often the quality of the picture sucks. At least for older films.

by Anonymousreply 71July 9, 2021 12:38 AM

^^Depends on which sites you use. A few of them are HD quality.

by Anonymousreply 72July 9, 2021 12:45 AM

But do they have closed captioning?

by Anonymousreply 73July 9, 2021 1:27 AM

[quote]Tubi has TONS of horror movies, great stuff!

Tubi has tons of everything, from movies to TV shows. There's no reason to pay for Amazon when you can get most everything for free on Tubi. If it ain't on Tubi, then you don't need it.

by Anonymousreply 74July 9, 2021 2:00 AM

I enjoy Bosch on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 75July 9, 2021 2:22 AM

[quote]There's no reason to pay for Amazon when you can get most everything for free on Tubi. If it ain't on Tubi, then you don't need it.

I don't like the ads. I want a commercial free experience.

by Anonymousreply 76July 9, 2021 2:24 AM

The commercials suck, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 77July 9, 2021 2:27 AM

The shows are all100% American Woke "Progressist" propaganda and people are only opening their eyes now. Deleled it monthq ago.

by Anonymousreply 78July 9, 2021 2:34 AM

Netflix was NEVER cool

by Anonymousreply 79July 9, 2021 2:37 AM

Netflix is what your mom watches.

by Anonymousreply 80July 9, 2021 2:53 AM

"Them shows have Indian, Mexcian and Black folk in 'em! So I said git! Now! GIT!"

by Anonymousreply 81July 9, 2021 3:12 AM

Disney+ is full of crap

by Anonymousreply 82July 9, 2021 3:15 AM

Does Disney+ have a library of 20th Century-Fox classics? Otherwise, why aren't they on Hulu?

by Anonymousreply 83July 9, 2021 3:27 AM

[quote] The shows are all100% American Woke "Progressist" propaganda and people are only opening their eyes now.

It's somewhat ironic that the most successful Netflix originals are some of the most regressive things I have ever seen like Kissing Booth and other Hallmark style movies. Even the films that attempt to be woke by including diverse casts have pretty shitty messages too. The stuff intended for adults is more of a mixed bag. The stuff that is most successful are genre films that don't preach to their audience.

If these streaming services are any indication of what the future of entertainment will be, then it really is a tragedy that the movie theater experience is dying. Independent theaters are the ones most likely to die out in this environment.

by Anonymousreply 84July 9, 2021 3:36 AM

Netflix sux! They don’t ever have anything available. I wanted to watch Minari, they didn’t have it. I searched for Promising Young Women, they didn’t have it. Suicide Squad, didn’t have it. There was so much hype about In the Heights but they didn’t have it. Black Widow, didn’t have it. The new Conjuring, didn’t have it. Quite Place II, didn’t have it. They only have Fast and Furious up to 8 but not 9. Why do people subscribe for this shit when they have nothing?

by Anonymousreply 85July 9, 2021 4:20 AM

r85 this is why I, and a lot of other people, just gave up and turned to the pirate sites. Shit like Netflix doesn't have what you want and many of the movies that are OnDemand from your cable company are edited and have commercials. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 86July 9, 2021 4:24 AM

R85, streaming services aren't like your former neighborhood Blockbuster where you could find most recent releases, although that's what it started out as. The studios make deals with different streamers to show their movies. So Netflix makes a deal with a studio, like say Sony, to get the rights to stream their products. The problem now is that most of the major studios have their own streaming services, so Netflix loses out on those titles. It's getting to the point that you'll need to subscribe to multiple streamers if you want access to most titles - HBO Max for Warner Bros., Disney+ for Disney/Pixar/Marvel, Peacock for Universal, Paramount+ for Paramount, Hulu for 20th Century Fox (if Disney ever puts the Fox catalog on there), and probably Netflix for Sony. Or you can rent a title from Amazon.

If you're wondering which service a particular title can be found on (either streaming or rental), there's a website/app called JustWatch that's a good resource.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 9, 2021 4:45 AM

[quote]I don't like the ads. I want a commercial free experience.

I would agree with you if we were talking about premium content, but Tubi is for old movies and TV shows, so the ads aren't a dealbreaker, IMO. Are the ads really that big a deal when you're watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the 10th time?

by Anonymousreply 88July 9, 2021 4:45 AM

I can't watch commercials, no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 89July 9, 2021 4:47 AM

No, R88. I want to experience the movie as close as possible to the filmmakers' intentions. I may be able to see the movie in a theater, but at least there's no ads.

by Anonymousreply 90July 9, 2021 4:58 AM

I haven't done this in a while, but for many years you could get Netflix for free. Just Google Netflix premium cookies. All you need is a Chrome extension to modify your cookies, and some cookie data from a subscriber who is logged in.

I could never find enough content on Netflix I'm interested in to warrant me buying a subscription.

by Anonymousreply 91July 9, 2021 6:55 AM

[quote]I could never find enough content on Netflix I'm interested in to warrant me buying a subscription.

That's the problem I have with every streaming service. I'm only interested in maybe one or two original shows and the rest look like total shit. I don't want to subscribe to a dozen different streaming services when I'm not going to watch most of their content.

by Anonymousreply 92July 9, 2021 6:58 AM

You can't cast Amazon Prime. Fuck off, Amazon cunts.

by Anonymousreply 93July 9, 2021 7:34 AM

Tubi is the best. It now has the "Family" tv series from 1976-1980 starring DL faves Kristy McNichol, Sada Thompson, and Betty Broderick/Elyse Keaton. Five season total. I'm currently on season 3, before DL fave Quinn Cummings joins the cast!

by Anonymousreply 94July 9, 2021 8:01 AM

[quote] That's the problem I have with every streaming service. I'm only interested in maybe one or two original shows and the rest look like total shit. I don't want to subscribe to a dozen different streaming services when I'm not going to watch most of their content.

Use torrent sites then. But don't complain when your favorite shows and movies become fewer and fewer due to lack of ratings and financial support.

by Anonymousreply 95July 9, 2021 8:25 AM

I miss Orange is the New Black

by Anonymousreply 96July 9, 2021 10:45 AM

[quote]Are the ads really that big a deal when you're watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the 10th time?

For me it is. I could deal with it, if you had to sit through a long commercial block before the program started.

by Anonymousreply 97July 9, 2021 12:15 PM

R96 One of their few good shows

by Anonymousreply 98July 9, 2021 4:34 PM

[quote] Tubi is the best. It now has the "Family" tv series from 1976-1980 starring DL faves Kristy McNichol, Sada Thompson, and Betty Broderick/Elyse Keaton. Five season total. I'm currently on season 3, before DL fave Quinn Cummings joins the cast!

Whoa! Is it in HD? I’ve been wanting to see this series for years.

by Anonymousreply 99July 9, 2021 4:52 PM

R99, yes, I think. Looks great. Lots of guest stars and several gay-themed episodes. LOVE.

by Anonymousreply 100July 9, 2021 4:55 PM

Netflix initially seemed like a good way to cut the cord and cut costs, but now you have subscribe to a bunch of streaming services to get the mix of content you want.

by Anonymousreply 101July 9, 2021 4:55 PM

Netflix will continue to be KING....I encourage everyone to subscribe as I have stock in the company.

by Anonymousreply 102July 9, 2021 4:56 PM

Netflix has by far the best programs. Nothing on HBO Max comes close to Stranger Things, Queen's Gambit, The Crown, Mindhunter, Dead to Me, The Circle, British Baking Show, Great Flower Fight, Tiger King, Bridgerton, etc.

by Anonymousreply 103July 9, 2021 4:57 PM

Tubi also has all the The Doris Day Show episodes.

by Anonymousreply 104July 9, 2021 5:00 PM

Prime has really gone to shit. Everything’s behind a paywall now and they lost a lot of content

by Anonymousreply 105July 9, 2021 5:02 PM

Netflix just took previous seasons of American horror story out

by Anonymousreply 106July 9, 2021 5:19 PM

[quote]Netflix has by far the best programs. Nothing on HBO Max comes close to Stranger Things, Queen's Gambit, The Crown, Mindhunter, Dead to Me, The Circle, British Baking Show, Great Flower Fight, Tiger King, Bridgerton, etc.

Stranger Things: Fine.

Queens Gambit: One time series. Done.

The Crown: Ending with Season 6.

Mindhunter: Cancelled. The creator is done doing it.

Dead to Me: Cancelled. Coming back for a final season.

The Circle: Reality Show. Fine. Renewed for 2 more seasons.

The British Baking Show: You don't need Netflix to see this.

Great Flower Fight: May not come back at all.

Tiger King: One time series, done.

Briderton: Fine.

So basically get Netflix if you want to watch things that they've cancelled, shows they've purchased that have aired elsewhere, reality shows, Bridgerton or Stranger Things.

by Anonymousreply 107July 9, 2021 5:46 PM

What is with Netflix and abruptly cancelling shows?

by Anonymousreply 108July 9, 2021 5:54 PM

Amazon Prime always switches out their movies, so that movies that were “free” for Prime members last month are now $3.99 rentals this month. It happens all the time, nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 109July 9, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote] Tubi also has all the The Doris Day Show episodes.

The gayest thing you will read anywhere today.

by Anonymousreply 110July 9, 2021 6:02 PM

[quote]Use torrent sites then. But don't complain when your favorite shows and movies become fewer and fewer due to lack of ratings and financial support.

About 80% of it is shit right now.

by Anonymousreply 111July 9, 2021 7:51 PM

British Baking Show - No interest in cooking shows

Tiger King - No interest in the criminal antics of white trash

Bridgerton - Watched the first episode, thought it was ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 112July 9, 2021 7:53 PM

[quote]Prime has really gone to shit. Everything’s behind a paywall now and they lost a lot of content

[quote]Netflix just took previous seasons of American horror story out

This is why people are doing the pirate sites like Watchseries and Sockshare.

by Anonymousreply 113July 9, 2021 7:55 PM

r104 watching The Doris Day Show on Tubi...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 9, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote]Tubi also has all the The Doris Day Show episodes.

With the famous TRIPLE ZOOM on the spiral stairs during the credits! The pinnacle of Doris glamour!

by Anonymousreply 115July 9, 2021 8:03 PM

Are 'Changing Rooms' and 'Trading Spaces' available anywhere?

I love the Early 2000s!

by Anonymousreply 116July 9, 2021 8:25 PM

[quote]Prime has really gone to shit. Everything’s behind a paywall now and they lost a lot of content

I agree. I find myself watching Tubi more than any other streaming platform.

And when I want new movies, I just get them from the library for free.

by Anonymousreply 117July 9, 2021 10:25 PM

I am curious about the financials of these streaming services. Are we going to be at a point in a few years, where we will see some consilidation. Will Amazon buy Netflix or Hulu?

by Anonymousreply 118July 9, 2021 10:28 PM

Eric Adams sounds like Tracy Morgan. Can you imagine this is your mayor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 9, 2021 10:31 PM

Wrong thread, I presume R119

by Anonymousreply 120July 9, 2021 10:41 PM

The only good Netflix show was Black Mirror

by Anonymousreply 121July 9, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote]Mindhunter: Cancelled. The creator is done doing it.

Actually, David Fincher and Netflix are in talks for season 3 of Mindhunter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 9, 2021 11:57 PM

No danger at all OP

They want to have as many subscribers as possible and mass market always sells better than hip and trendy across the board.

It's not the way I'd make the world, but Maroon 5 is always going to make a whole lot more money and sell way more albums than Vampire Weekend.

And Netflix wants to be the biggest,, not the hippest.

by Anonymousreply 123July 10, 2021 12:02 AM

[quote]Actually, David Fincher and Netflix are in talks for season 3 of Mindhunter.

Actually, chile, that is an article from 2021!!!

It has been a whole year since that article at "Devidiscourse?" was written and no one has said a peep.

Even if it did come back it wouldn't be on until 2023 at the earliest with the way Fincher shoots and did the last two shows. I wouldn't hold my breath.

by Anonymousreply 124July 10, 2021 12:31 AM

Actually, I'm wrong. LMAOOO. My brain is transposing dates and numbers. Let me get off this thing.

Even so, it still wouldn't be back until 2023 at the earliest with the way he shoots. It took him MONTHS to shoot the last two seasons. I still wouldn't put much stock into any of that speculation until there is an actual contract signed and Netflix or Fincher issue a statement.

by Anonymousreply 125July 10, 2021 12:33 AM

[quote] Actually, I'm wrong. LMAOOO.

You laughed your ass off off off?

by Anonymousreply 126July 10, 2021 12:47 AM

Prime has the worst user interface out of all the streaming platforms, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 127July 10, 2021 12:56 AM

R123, I love Vampire Weekend.

by Anonymousreply 128July 10, 2021 12:57 AM

I've spent so much more time scrolling streaming sites to find something to watch, compared to actually watching something, that I don't bother now.

It's interesting but in our office people are starting to bring in DVDs to loan to people when they recommend a show again, and I find I'm using the DVD player a lot more again all of a sudden.

by Anonymousreply 129July 10, 2021 1:20 AM

I thought Bloodline was good even though "Coach" has gotten a bit thicc he still is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 130July 10, 2021 1:38 AM

[quote]Prime has the worst user interface out of all the streaming platforms, IMO.

You haven’t used Pluto, have you?

by Anonymousreply 131July 10, 2021 2:42 AM

Another Tubi fan here. I watch it more than any of the others I have including: Netflix, Amazon, HBOMax, Peacock, and Paramount+. Frankly, it has one of the best interfaces too - the others all try to throw too much content at once. And yeah, R131, Pluto's interface is pretty horrific - it is too bad as they have some decent movies buried in that mess.

by Anonymousreply 132July 10, 2021 2:48 AM

Netflix is shit, produces shit non stop.

by Anonymousreply 133July 10, 2021 3:16 AM

Quantity over quality.

by Anonymousreply 134July 10, 2021 4:15 AM

Last thing I watched on there was Bridgerton and that was a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 135July 10, 2021 4:22 AM

I just finished watching Satan's School for Girls with Miss Kate Jackson on Tubi. Where else can you find quality programming like that for free?

by Anonymousreply 136July 10, 2021 4:25 AM

Two Netflix shows that I've just discovered and highly recommend are I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson, a wild sketch show, and Magic For Humans with Justin Willman. I only knew Justin from that cupcake show he used to host on the Food Network, but he's an extremely talented magician.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 10, 2021 4:30 AM

Isn't anyone watching me on Tubi?

by Anonymousreply 138July 10, 2021 4:39 AM

R138 No. We’re watching Columbo.

by Anonymousreply 139July 10, 2021 4:46 AM

Tubi has a huge library of horror films and gay films too.

Agree with the above poster who said that Pluto is a mess to navigate.

by Anonymousreply 140July 10, 2021 5:28 AM

I just started watching Family on Tubi. I haven't watched this show since it first aired in the 70s. It's giving me such nostalgia. The 1970-80s really were superior to today. It was a kinder and gentler time.

Tubi also has That Girl with Marlo Thomas, Carol Burnett Show, Dick Van Dyke Show, Designing Women, Partridge Family, Gidget, Here's Lucy, Charlie's Angels, Police Woman.

What more could a gay boy ask for?

by Anonymousreply 141July 10, 2021 5:34 AM

I don't know how anyone can sit and watch marathons of tv shows from decades ago that were pretty shit to begin with. There's such a connotation of living in the past and "I give up" about it all.

by Anonymousreply 142July 10, 2021 5:36 AM

no one i know watches netflix. Why pay for netflix for soap opera type stuff? The thing is people do not want to watch more TV. Even among rich people who have everything, netflix viewership is down.

by Anonymousreply 143July 10, 2021 5:50 AM

^^Well, except for That Girl and Designing Women.

by Anonymousreply 144July 10, 2021 5:51 AM

I am now watching Family, Cybill, and Women of the House (Designing Women spin-off) on Tubi, and St. Elsewhere, Brothers and Sisters, and Freaks and Geeks on hulu.

by Anonymousreply 145July 10, 2021 5:52 AM

HBO has the new GOT dragon show. That is the show that people will watch. HBO seems to get it. You have one flagship show, and you do max out of subscribers.

by Anonymousreply 146July 10, 2021 5:53 AM

[quote]Isn't anyone watching me on Tubi?

[quote]—Kristy McNichol, two-time Emmy winner for "Family"

Yes! Watching you right now. The first episode. You were nearly aborted!

by Anonymousreply 147July 10, 2021 6:16 AM

If I sat around watching marathons of shitty old tv shows, my family and friends would think I was a total fucking loser and stage an intervention.

by Anonymousreply 148July 10, 2021 6:23 AM

I just finished watching American Swing on Tubi. What a disturbing documentary especially the latter half

by Anonymousreply 149July 10, 2021 6:28 AM

The Flying Nun is also on Tubi! I haven’t seen it since I was a kid in the 80s. Holy mother of god.

by Anonymousreply 150July 10, 2021 7:36 AM

Netflix has definitely lost its luster but there are a few shows I am looking forward to: Into The Night, The Umbrella Academy, and Sex Education. Plus the final seasons of Ozark and Dead To Me .

by Anonymousreply 151July 10, 2021 7:44 AM

R138, I just saw you in some terry cloth shorts, looking like the Queen of the Babydykes, Tizzy Lish.

by Anonymousreply 152July 10, 2021 10:40 AM

[quote]I don't know how anyone can sit and watch marathons of tv shows from decades ago that were pretty shit to begin with. There's such a connotation of living in the past and "I give up" about it all.

Luckily it has no effect on your life, so don’t worry about it.😘

by Anonymousreply 153July 10, 2021 11:26 AM

Netflix offers at least five things I like each month. Is it worth the fee? For me, yes, because I believe in supporting what I like financially. I don't think freeloaders (should) have a say in what's good or what's bad and what Netlfix (or any entertainment studio or site) should do.

by Anonymousreply 154July 10, 2021 11:27 AM

[quote]If I sat around watching marathons of shitty old tv shows, my family and friends would think I was a total fucking loser and stage an intervention.

They already think you’re a total fucking loser if they know you spend all your time bitching on DL.

by Anonymousreply 155July 10, 2021 11:28 AM

Is the full run of 'The Lucy Show' available anywhere?

Not those same few episodes available on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 156July 10, 2021 12:11 PM

No r155 if I were holed up watching marathons of old, shitty tv shows it would be cause for concern.

by Anonymousreply 157July 10, 2021 3:22 PM

[quote]Is the full run of 'The Lucy Show' available anywhere?

Yes, Tubi has all the Lucy Show and Here's Lucy episodes.

by Anonymousreply 158July 10, 2021 3:25 PM

I'm scrolling through Tubi for the first time right now. They have the first two seasons of Soap!!!

by Anonymousreply 159July 10, 2021 3:32 PM

Thanks, R158!

I love the first few seasons of 'The Lucy Show!'

by Anonymousreply 160July 10, 2021 4:26 PM

[quote] If I sat around watching marathons of shitty old tv shows, my family and friends would think I was a total fucking loser and stage an intervention.

Who here is necessarily watching “marathons” of them? Them being “shitty” is a matter of opinion, and “old” is irrelevant — as if something that was produced decades ago is inherently of less value than something made today.

Whoever this DLer is, I already had him blocked. Hope the miserable cunt gets a breakthrough Delta infection and dies.

by Anonymousreply 161July 10, 2021 4:28 PM

Looks like I hit a nerve r161. Watching and rhapsodizing over shit shows from 30, 40 ,50 years ago just seems so sad to me. You never see straight people doing this. I have a couple of aunts who were obsessed with Dallas back in the day but they never revisited it because time and life moved on.

by Anonymousreply 162July 10, 2021 4:30 PM

Fascinating how showing an interest in old movies is seen as cool and celebrated while showing an interest in old TV shows is seen as pathetic and condemned.

by Anonymousreply 163July 10, 2021 4:40 PM

That poster at R162 's posting history is hating on Netflix, classic television, Ben Affleck... He doesn't have anything nice to say about anything, and makes fun of other people's preferences.

by Anonymousreply 164July 10, 2021 4:42 PM

r164 it's just commenting on what sad recluses some DLers are. Living in the past and rhapsodizing over tv shows from decades ago that were shit even back then. Other people were going out and living their lives.

by Anonymousreply 165July 10, 2021 7:48 PM

Tubi search tips?

by Anonymousreply 166July 10, 2021 7:53 PM

OMG! Witchery with Linda Blair is on Tubi. Guess what I'm watching tonight?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 10, 2021 8:28 PM

Yikes. That Tubi shill is just as annoying as the Gap Playlist troll.

by Anonymousreply 168July 10, 2021 8:30 PM

R168, Tubi is great. WTF is your problem? Go watch Kristy McNichol in "Family" (on Tubi, of course). Tubi is free as is the ABC (TV) app. The ABC app has tons of awesome series for free!

by Anonymousreply 169July 10, 2021 8:38 PM

Nobody watches network shows anymore except olds.

by Anonymousreply 170July 10, 2021 8:59 PM

Like Candyman, saying my name invokes me.

BTW, 'Candyman' came out in 1992, which had some of the best-ever playlists at Gap!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 10, 2021 9:04 PM

Fucking kill that Gap troll.

by Anonymousreply 172July 10, 2021 9:07 PM

It may surprise you, R168, but there are more than one of us here who love Tubi.

by Anonymousreply 173July 11, 2021 12:29 AM

Tubi also has the Fred Dryer Crotch Programme, aka Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 174July 11, 2021 12:36 AM

I watched Hunter when I was a kid. The thought of revisiting it seems pointless.

by Anonymousreply 175July 11, 2021 12:41 AM

I watched Rich Man Poor Man during quarantine because it came out when I was young and I only had seen part of it. But I have no desire to rewatch old tv series.

by Anonymousreply 176July 11, 2021 12:53 AM

I pronounce it "Tubby" but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 177July 11, 2021 12:57 AM

r176 I think we've all been spoiled by the quality of cable and streaming series. The old stuff just looks so dated and like it's from a different universe now. I'm not going to watch a cop show (like Hunter) where people don't swear and fuck and the situations are so hokey and unrealistic.

Also, so many 80s tv shows have the stench of Reagan era politics with them. 'Just Say No' and moral lessons and all that horseshit. It's antiquated.

by Anonymousreply 178July 11, 2021 1:01 AM

Many articles over recent years have pointed out that Netflix is massively in debt and said at some point the fundamentals of economic and business reality will at least chasten or humble its ever expanding bubble.

by Anonymousreply 179July 11, 2021 1:19 AM

r170 I do wonder long term both in the UK as well as the US what the future implications are for the older pre internet pre streaming traditional television channels and their viablity of there now being so many alternatives?

by Anonymousreply 180July 11, 2021 1:21 AM

r170 you are correct. Gen Z does not watch network tv. I laughed at my niece because she wanted Amazon Prime to watch The Good Doctor, she didn't even know it is on a regular network.

by Anonymousreply 181July 11, 2021 1:37 AM

I'm Gen X and I don't know anyone in my circle who watches anything on CBS, ABC or NBC. Those networks are increasingly becoming relics.

by Anonymousreply 182July 11, 2021 1:46 AM

r182 What era does gen X cover?

by Anonymousreply 183July 11, 2021 1:50 AM

The only network show I watch is This Is Us, I started it because my coworkers were always talking about it the next day (women in the office). But I usually watch it later on the NBC app.

Gone are the days of my youth when you would leave the tv on CBS on Sunday nights (All In the Family, The Jeffersons, Alice, One Day At A Time) or ABC on Tuesdays (Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company).

by Anonymousreply 184July 11, 2021 1:57 AM

Mostly agreed to be 1964-1980 r183.

by Anonymousreply 185July 11, 2021 1:59 AM

CBS has the saddest streaming service of the lot.

by Anonymousreply 186July 11, 2021 1:59 AM

r184 all of those shows you mentioned are unwatchable today. It's amazing what garbage people would watch when there were only three channels and no internet.

by Anonymousreply 187July 11, 2021 2:00 AM

Forgot to mention Wednesday on ABC with Eight Is Enough, Charlie's Angels, and Vegas (my dad liked that show)

by Anonymousreply 188July 11, 2021 2:00 AM

r184 also I was 10 years old when those shows were in their prime and I was more easily entertained

by Anonymousreply 189July 11, 2021 2:01 AM

Ooops above was for r187. Also Saturday nights were The Love Boat and Fantasy Island which are cheezy today but for a kid hot stuff.

by Anonymousreply 190July 11, 2021 2:02 AM

r185 Many thanks!

by Anonymousreply 191July 11, 2021 2:04 AM

[quote]where people don't swear and fuck

See, I'm actually starting to find the constant fucking in every show I watch to be really boring now. Like, 95% of the time it has nothing to do with the plot. I love men's asses, and you usually get a good eyeful of some hot actor thrusting away, but I mean, I can see hot asses in real life, or porn. It often just feels like whoever created the show is all impressed with how "edgy" they are being.

Also, in real life sex is fun and enjoyable. These shows rarely make it seem like that/or that realistic even. Often the portrayal seems more rapey. I always get the impression that people who write sex shows for TV rarely actually have sex themselves.

by Anonymousreply 192July 11, 2021 2:25 AM

Netflix does not pay a royalty out on any of their original programming. They pay up front. Netflix decides who get pay the most. They own in full all their original programming. They could always buy a TV channel and use this programming. However, I think most of their revenue comes from foreign markets, selling to rich people in authoritarian governments.

Netflix is extremely opaque on their financial health and their business models. It is usual and not a great sign.

by Anonymousreply 193July 11, 2021 3:46 AM

I just watched the first episode of FAMILY on Tubi and I was blown away. The dialogue and acting are exceptional. It really holds up. I had no idea that Mike Nichols created the show. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the actress who plays Nancy. She doesn't rise to the level of the rest of the cast.

Kristy McNichol was a brilliant little actress and steals every scene she's in. She reminds me a lot of Millie Bobby Brown. Why didn't she have a huge career? I don't remember her in anything after she did Little Darlings with Tatum O'Neal.

by Anonymousreply 194July 11, 2021 4:09 AM

R131 You know, I actually haven't used Pluto. By the sounds of, I don't WANT to get to know it either.

One streaming service I like, which TONS of people shit on in Canada, is Crave. Yeah, it sucks to navigate, but I looove being able to have Showtime+HBO+ odds and ends from other US streaming networks on one platform in Canada. It's not as good as HBO Max, I'm sure, but it's a hell of a lot better than what's usually available to us, which is nothing.

by Anonymousreply 195July 11, 2021 4:13 AM

R195 Crave is the best. Netflix Canada sucks shit. Pluto is available to us but with most of the channels missing.

by Anonymousreply 196July 11, 2021 4:32 AM

The (first) Nancy actress was replaced by Meredith Baxter Birney Broderick in season two of "Family". Where is Gary Franks (the son) today? I saw the house in South Pasadena in 2019 (it looks the same as it did in the TV series).

by Anonymousreply 197July 11, 2021 5:11 AM

Sad that you know that r197

by Anonymousreply 198July 11, 2021 5:15 AM

Da bump

by Anonymousreply 199July 11, 2021 8:04 AM

I love this thread for informing me that Family is now on Tubi. I've had the first two seasons on DVD forever, but they never issued more. Now I can finally see the other three seasons!

by Anonymousreply 200July 11, 2021 10:23 AM

I watched S1E18 of 'The Lucy Show' on Tubi last night.

That wasn't even a VHS rip. It looked like someone recorded it with an old film camera underwater in 1976. Horrible quality.

Loved the show, though! Reminded me of watching all of 'The Lucy Show' repeats in syndication in the Seventies.

by Anonymousreply 201July 11, 2021 12:33 PM

I guess the Tubi shill did his job, because I only knew about Pluto, and Pluto had the Love Boat, but not Fantasy Island. Fantasy Island is not as wonderful as my memories of staying up on Saturday night as a kid, but I still think Ricardo is gloriously devilish, and its "supernatural" elements are still fun.

The guy crapping all over our love for "schlock": you too will age, and what you liked as a young man will be nostalgia that some kid will shit all over. Being secure in one's tastes, and not giving a fuck are privileges of age; lack of respect is part of the callowness of youth.

by Anonymousreply 202July 11, 2021 12:43 PM

Pluto navigation

Back and back again to the full menu.

Now, Tubi tips?

by Anonymousreply 203July 11, 2021 1:41 PM

[quote] I saw the house in South Pasadena in 2019 (it looks the same as it did in the TV series).

In the first episode of Family, when the brother lets Kristy drive the car, they park in front of Jamie Lee Curtis's house from Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 204July 11, 2021 4:22 PM

Michael Meyers vs. Sada Thompson - who would win?

by Anonymousreply 205July 11, 2021 4:28 PM

Wow, I have to watch that first episode again then, R204. I didn’t notice that, and I’m a huuuuge Halloween (1978) fan. Is Family supposed to be set in CA? I got New England vibes.

by Anonymousreply 206July 11, 2021 4:32 PM

Only on Datalounge can a company regain its cool by showing 50 year old movies.

by Anonymousreply 207July 11, 2021 6:31 PM

True r207! Gotta love DL.

by Anonymousreply 208July 11, 2021 6:39 PM

Oh, honey, 50 year old movies would be 1971. We want 70, 80, 90 year old movies!

by Anonymousreply 209July 11, 2021 7:43 PM

R209 Surprised most DLers don't have subscriptions to The Criterion Channel if they want 70+ year old movies.

by Anonymousreply 210July 12, 2021 7:24 PM

I thought Criterion shut down its channel/service last year? Are they still around, other than DVD and Blu-Ray releases?

by Anonymousreply 211July 12, 2021 8:45 PM

This thread reminded me to cancel Netflix and hulu. I was going to cancel them a few months ago and tried youtube tv but the interface and ads were so so terrible that I canceled that. I forgot to cancel the other 2 and realized I had not watched anything on them in months when I saw the thread. I may just jump around on different streaming services. I mostly watch peacock for free though flex.

by Anonymousreply 212July 12, 2021 9:16 PM

rarbg

by Anonymousreply 213July 12, 2021 9:18 PM

You can say that again, R213.

by Anonymousreply 214July 12, 2021 9:38 PM

R211 Nope, they're still going strong. It was Filmstruck that shut down, which I think TCM/Warner Bros. just licensed films from the Criterion Collection. The Criterion Channel is all their own and it's great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 12, 2021 11:51 PM

R210, I did, but they didn't update enough, so I'll get it again in a few months.

by Anonymousreply 216July 13, 2021 12:57 PM

I’m coming to the end of season one of Family on the wonderful Tubi channel. God, I love Kristy (‘Kristie’ in the opening credits of the pilot) McNichol. She might be the best actor in the series so far. Though Gary Frank is all right, too.

by Anonymousreply 217July 14, 2021 6:46 AM

[quote] Netflix, you in danger gurl!

I know it's inspired by Whoopi Goldberg's scene in "Ghost", but how, when and why did this "you in danger, gurl" line become a DL meme? I think it's funny when applied to Netflix but how did this particular line become so beloved on DL?

by Anonymousreply 218July 14, 2021 6:55 AM

Kristy McNichol was like Brooke Shields, she peaked as a child/teen.

by Anonymousreply 219July 14, 2021 7:55 AM

If I had nothing but money, I’d open an old-school video rental store. All this nonsense would be moot.

by Anonymousreply 220July 14, 2021 2:27 PM

There's not that much cool about HBO Max. The watchable but flawed Mare Of Easttown and a Gossip Girl remake. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 221July 14, 2021 3:09 PM

Yeah, Mare is overrated. She’s good but neither of the leading male characters are developed at all, to the point where I’m not sure why at least one of them is in the show.

by Anonymousreply 222July 14, 2021 3:32 PM

It's scary how much Kristy McNichol grew between seasons one and two of Family. It's like she aged 5 years. I think she was a better actress than Tatum O'Neal. She was warmer and more natural than Tatum. Was there a lot of talk of her being a baby lez at the time, because she was so obviously gay as a kid? It's funny how Meredith also came out as gay when she was older.

Sada Thompson is so good in this show. Did she ever win an Emmy?

by Anonymousreply 223July 14, 2021 10:05 PM

Yes, Sada, Kristy, and Gary won Emmys for "Family". Kristy won twice!

by Anonymousreply 224July 14, 2021 11:07 PM

Nobody wrote about Kristy being gay. She was "a tomboy" who spoke in interviews about her crush on Donny Osmond. It was the '70s and officially, baby dykes didn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 225July 15, 2021 12:39 AM

FWIW.. Tubi is owned by Fox, so you are putting money in Lachlan Murdoch's pocket when you watch it. (They get a cut on the ads they sell)

by Anonymousreply 226July 15, 2021 12:43 AM

R202, I’m not the nostalgia type. I’m the type of person that likes the new, hot stuff. What’s past doesn’t interest me

by Anonymousreply 227July 15, 2021 2:47 PM

R227 = vapid

by Anonymousreply 228July 15, 2021 4:07 PM

I'm pretty much the same r227. I have no interest in reliving my 80s/90s youth, except for the music. I live living in the here and now.

by Anonymousreply 229July 15, 2021 4:51 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 230July 15, 2021 7:41 PM

The mere thought of sitting down and re-watching all the 80s shows from when I was a kid just feels totally loserish. I would never want to revisit Growing Pains or Family Ties. Good lord that would be so sad and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 231July 15, 2021 8:12 PM

Do you ever re-watch movies from your youth?

by Anonymousreply 232July 15, 2021 8:24 PM

Disney+ is not a good streaming service. All of these analysts are wall street types who look at the bottom line. The fast growth of Disney+ does mean they will be able to maintain that growth. They will hit a wall soon. The Mandelorian WandaVision both started with great critical reception and buzz but they quickly fizzled out fast. Disney do not not have great body of content and its original content so far has been subpar. Unless they get a 'Stranger Things', it will be a niche platform for kids and weird Disney obsessed adults. Nothing about their recent movies makes me think they will capture lightening in a bottle like Netflix did with 'Stranger Things'. They are too conservative. Disney does not take risks.

by Anonymousreply 233July 15, 2021 8:24 PM

I rewatch movies I forget details about It. Otherwise, I hate rewatching stuff I’ve seen before

by Anonymousreply 234July 15, 2021 9:02 PM

I don't know how Tim Robinson gets away with some of the sketches in season 2 of I Think You Should Leave. Season 2 is really pushing the limits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235July 16, 2021 5:09 AM

I remember I loved James at 15 which then became James at 16. He lost his cuteness the older he got unfortunately. I never see that show anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 236July 17, 2021 5:18 AM

Kim Richards is in this episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 17, 2021 5:22 AM

Kim Richards is in the opening credits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238July 17, 2021 5:26 AM

Is Hula better than Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 239July 18, 2021 1:45 AM

No r239. Every year I wait until the new season of Handmaid's Tale comes out then I watch it and cancel. I think Hulu's lineup is pretty weak.

by Anonymousreply 240July 18, 2021 1:50 AM

Thanks r240

Latest from Lady C!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 22, 2021 7:23 PM

The thing thing I watched on Netflix was Ratched, which was Wretched.

by Anonymousreply 242July 26, 2021 11:26 AM

[quote]I've got a great IPTV provider that has every movie and show you could think of. If it hasn't you just go to a website and order it and a day later it's on.

I already pay for the major services, but I also subscribe to a gray-market IPTV provider because I enjoy watching international TV.

My provider carries Afghan TV, and it's spooky to see things transform there in real time. Some of the formerly secular networks have started showing religious programming nonstop.

The same provider also carries Georgian TV. Last month, the four major networks there went dark for a day to protest the death of Alexander Lashkarava, a journalist who was beaten by right-wing thugs during a Pride march and later died of his injuries. After they went back on the air, they showed angry journalists storming the parliament building and confronting the prime minister.

I've also been enjoying the Nigerian edition of [italic]Big Brother.[/italic] They follow the old UK format where Big Brother, or "Biggie," is a character who assigns tasks and secret missions.

by Anonymousreply 243August 26, 2021 2:52 PM

Learn how to torrent!

by Anonymousreply 244August 26, 2021 4:05 PM

About 90% of what Netflix offers is total shit that I have no interest in watching.

by Anonymousreply 245August 26, 2021 6:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!