Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Val” Trailer - Val Kilmer Documentary comes out 7/23

Wow it breaks my heart that he has throat cancer. So scary.

This man was one of the most beautiful in the 90s. An overnight sensation. Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 21, 2021 2:00 PM

I found him hilarious in “Real Genius.”

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2021 6:53 PM

One of his best, r1.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2021 7:10 PM

Wow, this looks really good. I've always enjoyed him as an actor. As a face, he was simply gorgeous in his prime.

I don't think he came out of the Hollywood machine unscathed. I hope he isn't doing this because he fears the worst? I hope his cancer is doing better.

I'll be watching.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2021 7:19 PM

I have a bad feeling about him

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2021 9:06 PM

"I'm your huckleberry."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2021 9:34 PM

He was a good choice to play Jim Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2021 9:56 PM

Copiers get cancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2021 10:00 PM

He really was. He had a stunning resemblance to Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2021 10:00 PM

Loved him as John Holmes in Wonderland.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2021 10:48 PM

36 seconds in is a clip of legendary director John Frankenheimer telling Kilmer, "Shut the video camera off" while on the set of "The Island of Dr. Moreau."

Frankenheimer was brought in as a replacement director for this troubled movie. The experience was so negative that Frankenheimer flatly refused to discuss it in interviews through the rest of his life. He is cited as saying, "I don't like Val Kilmer. I don't like his work ethic and I don't want to be associated with him ever again." When Kilmer's final scene was completed, Frankenheimer declared, "Now get that bastard off my set."

All that said, Kilmer was fantastic in "Willow," "Tombstone," "The Doors," and "Heat." Honorable mention for his hotness in "Top Gun."

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2021 10:56 PM

Kilmer and Brando clashed and had diva tantrums on that set

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2021 11:14 PM

Brando reportedly told Kilmer, "Your problem is you confuse the size of your paycheck with the size of your talent."

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2021 11:36 PM

[quote]The experience was so negative that Frankenheimer flatly refused to discuss it in interviews through the rest of his life. He is cited as saying, "I don't like Val Kilmer. I don't like his work ethic and I don't want to be associated with him ever again." When Kilmer's final scene was completed, Frankenheimer declared, "Now get that bastard off my set."

You can see in that clip Frankenheimer was pissed Val was documenting everything which from the rest of the film you see he did from a kid. Good for Val. Wish him well,

A review...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2021 2:05 PM

I wish I had been interviewed for this film, even in death. I have lots to say.

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2021 4:50 AM

I watched Tombstone yesterday. He stole every scene he was in.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2021 4:57 AM

R5 That was the name of his memoir. But of course he didn't say anything about his bisexual adventures.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2021 4:58 AM

Many of us got our first look at him back in '82 when the only entry on his resume was "Cher's boyfriend."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2021 5:05 AM

Wow, I didn't know he dated Cher.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2021 5:21 AM

Cher got him when he was young and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2021 2:32 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that his "bad behavior" rep had a lot to do with always having a camera in his hand.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2021 3:53 PM

No r20. He was a diva who would throw tantrums and refuse to leave his trailer if he didn’t have his way

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2021 4:17 PM

You were there?

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2021 4:37 PM

I went to high school with Val Kilmer. We never crossed paths as far as I can remember. Same with Kevin Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2021 4:41 PM

R22 it’s something that’s been reported about him for years. Hence why his career died. No one wanted to work with him.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2021 4:51 PM

It’s no secret that Val Kilmer was a nightmare to deal with, which destroyed his career.

Especially after Batman Forever was a massive success. His ego was bigger than Gotham.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2021 4:57 PM

r9, the crewmembers HATED him on that film- when the film wrapped, they found the interior of his trailer totally destroyed, including the television smashed on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2021 5:31 PM

A friend of mine who coincidentally is an actor recently beat throat cancer

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2021 6:54 PM

Throat cancer is becoming more prominent. More and more people are getting it than ever, even though people smoke less etc.

Supposedly oral sex is a big factor.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2021 6:56 PM

It wasn't just Frankenheimer, even his own brother doesn't have nice things to say about Val:

[quote]"Richard Stanley, who directed Kilmer for three days in The Island of Dr. Moreau before being fired, recalls, 'Val would arrive, and an argument would happen.' Says John Frankenheimer, who replaced Stanley: 'I don’t like Val Kilmer, I don’t like his work ethic, and I don’t want to be associated with him ever again.' And Batman Forever director Joel Schumacher calls his onetime star 'childish and impossible.'"

[quote]The shock value in that Entertainment Weekly article, though, came when Kilmer's own brother, Mark, called his brother a narcissist who couldn't be helped.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2021 7:07 PM

Difficult he may have been, but I loved him in "Tombstone" and "Willow."

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2021 7:23 PM

I loathe Willow. Always have.

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2021 7:25 PM

[quote] Supposedly oral sex is a big factor.

Dafuq?

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2021 8:47 PM

I feel so bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2021 3:08 PM

He was so hot in Top Secret!

by Anonymousreply 34July 14, 2021 3:22 PM

You all claim anyone and everyone is hot

by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2021 3:25 PM

Not you R35.

by Anonymousreply 36July 14, 2021 3:29 PM

And just like that—bam!—r36 and I are sending out wedding invitations.

by Anonymousreply 37July 14, 2021 4:04 PM

Sad. He was beautiful back in the 1980s. Cher got some good dick (besides Sonny, Allman and Simmons).

by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2021 4:17 PM

I agree he was great as Jim Morrison. He had his look and mannerisms down.

by Anonymousreply 39July 14, 2021 4:24 PM

IMO, His role as Jim Morrison, and the turn he did as Doc Holliday in Tombstone are iconic. No one else will ever be able to play those roles. When you think of the characters (real people) you think of him. I have to wonder if, by the time he worked with Pacino and De Niro in Heat, he had settled down some. You can't act out when you're dealing with those two.

by Anonymousreply 40July 14, 2021 4:26 PM

He was one of my first crushes in Real Genius. Hot, smart, and funny.

by Anonymousreply 41July 14, 2021 4:35 PM

uncircumcised fellows spread HPV, which causes cancer.

by Anonymousreply 42July 14, 2021 5:08 PM

I understand why he didn't want to divulge that he had throat cancer - it's his business, but I think he was in denial because there was no way he should have been working when his speech was in such disrepair. THE SNOWMAN (2017) was already a terrible film but what made it even more of a mess was that they obviously had to dub Kilmer's voice or sweeten it. A few times he was shot from the back so you don't have to see his face because it was obvious he wasn't speaking. It was distracting.

by Anonymousreply 43July 14, 2021 5:18 PM

He was so attractive in the Eighties, and he had genuine acting talent. But his narcissism really was destructive.

He was like a male Debra Winger, in that no matter how talented they were, at some level people just stop wanting to work with people who are that disruptive and badly behaved.

He now has the face he deserves.

by Anonymousreply 44July 14, 2021 5:22 PM

I can't wait to see this. He was supremely hot and talented. Hopefully, he has developed some hubris.

by Anonymousreply 45July 14, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote] Hopefully, he has developed some hubris.

"Hubris" means "arrogance" or "excessive pride."

I think the word you actually wanted to use was "humility."

by Anonymousreply 46July 14, 2021 7:09 PM

Fom what I read, Val Kilmer was deep into Christian Science and for way too long when he first noticed problems, he refused to get legitimate medical teatment. Finally, his son insisted as his condition worsened. It took a lot for him to say those words "I have throat cancer..."

by Anonymousreply 47July 14, 2021 7:15 PM

I never found him attractive, but I can appreciate some of his performances.

by Anonymousreply 48July 14, 2021 7:27 PM

Top Gun and Top Secret - the best tops of the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2021 12:44 AM

I was a huge fan. R15, I agree. The ones I enjoyed most were Tombstone, Heat, Top Gun, The Doors, Real Genius, Spartan, The Saint, Batman, Thunderheart, the African tigers movie, The Ghost and the Darkness. Every single one of those is worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2021 12:48 AM

[quote] Supposedly oral sex is a big factor.

Oral sex on vaginas cause cancer. Men and women that perform oral sex on vaginas on a regular basis have a disproportionate higher risk of developing throat cancer

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2021 1:00 AM

I was about to say. As homophobic as this nation is, don't you think if sucking dick caused cancer, some rat faced homophobe would have commissioned a study to give out the stats on Gay men with oral cancer the implication being clear ? I say suck away. If it worries you gargle with Listerine.

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2021 1:07 AM

Someone at Sony Pictures / Columbia clearly didn't like him. This might be the worst DVD cover of a major movie and was not part of the art work for the "Real Genius" theatrical release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2021 9:07 AM

Was "Red Planet" (2000) that bad? I don't know how I missed it- I've always like Mars movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 21, 2021 1:30 PM

Sometimes big dicks are Big Dicks.

by Anonymousreply 55July 21, 2021 2:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!