Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Dean really wasn't that attractive.

Eyes too close together, tiny anus mouth, big head, soft body, big forehead - I guess he had a nice nose?

Was he known for his nose, and that's why he was popular?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475July 10, 2022 9:35 PM

If you say so OP.

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2021 1:17 PM

YOU'RE TEARING ME APARTTTTT!

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2021 1:18 PM

you must be perfect op

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2021 1:18 PM

OP, please post a selfie. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2021 1:19 PM

OP- The REAL problem was, James Dean really wasn't a GOOD actor.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2021 1:20 PM

R3 and r4 seem triggered. Did "anus mouth" hit too close to home? šŸ¤”

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2021 1:22 PM

The whole is more than the sum of his parts. I guess OP doesn't know how to discern beauty.

Go watch your wholly ugly face in the mirror, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2021 1:23 PM

I think he was way hotter after his head was torn off after his deadly car accident. He'd be a taxidermist's dream! James Dean's head please. And yes he was a terrible actor. Why he is "legendary" is just bogus.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2021 1:24 PM

OP, I never got it either.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2021 1:31 PM

Nerdy hometown basketball player wearing glasses James Dean frankly was way hotter than Hollywood Icon James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2021 2:01 PM

I like the James Dean as portrayed in the movie, "Joshua Tree - 1951".

I would agree that the real thing was not that good looking, or that good of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2021 2:04 PM

It's annoying when an OP tries to speak for everyone. Could have said "Do you think Dean was attractive" but no, she insists that her opinion matters more.

OP's single by the way. Anyone surprised?

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2021 2:05 PM

R12 = James Dean fanboi, keeping the candles in his home shrine burning despite being under imminent foreclosure

by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2021 2:09 PM

R8...He lived (drove) fast...died young.... and left a good looking (depending on opinion) corpse. I guess that gives "legend" status.

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2021 2:11 PM

He was a human ashtray. So what?

Marilyn Monroe was a drug addicted whore with mental problems.

There I said it.

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2021 2:16 PM

He never does anything for me in stills but on-screen, seeing the way light plays off his features, it works. He's got that magic thing the screen loves. The weird angles all add up to something more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2021 2:20 PM

He photographed well and had several iconic shots. His tragic death sealed the deal.

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2021 2:23 PM

He photographed well and had several iconic shots. His tragic death sealed the deal.

by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2021 2:23 PM

by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2021 2:23 PM

According to his latest biographer, Rock Hudson thought James Dean was a ā€œprick.ā€

by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2021 2:23 PM

I'm not a big James Dean fan or anything like that, but I can understand the fascination he holds for many people. He lived fast, and he died young, and that's a recipe for a legend right there.

IA number of years ago, I had the eeriest dream about him. I was walking along a street somewhere, and Dean drives up in his silver Porsche, opens the door and asks me if I need a drive somewhere. I got in, and we drove to a long, narrow building where there seemed to be a party going on. Then, the dream just faded.

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2021 2:26 PM

It was the brooding thing he had going on. Or smoldering, if you like.

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2021 2:29 PM

Some would say brooding, some would say smoldering.

At the time, he was something extremely different. He had a vulnerability that made you want to mother him. And, he had less than subtle sexuality that appealed to both men and woman. I do agree that his early death helped make his career.

by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2021 2:30 PM

Hot-takeism witaf

by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2021 2:32 PM

His characters appeared vulnerable and flawed. He wasn't afraid to show it...even under his "coolness". That's catnip to many girls, women and maybe some gays. The studios knew what they had.

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2021 2:37 PM

R16 Even in that gif he looks retarded. He could never NOT look retarded in any scene he was in.

by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2021 2:37 PM

...catnip *for....

by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2021 2:42 PM

[quote]soft body

Perfectly sculpted gym bodies were not really a thing then.

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2021 2:43 PM

I wonder....did the, "live fast, died young...leaving a good looking corpse" start with him...his death?

by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2021 2:48 PM

80 years from now ā€¦.people will look back at our time and thinkā€¦..what a sexually obsessed and emotionally shallow group those homosexuals were back then.

by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2021 2:56 PM

The fact that OP felt the need to post that is a key reason his legend has lasted. Like Marilyn Monroe, heā€™s perfectly imperfect. People are constantly picking him apart and trying to figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2021 3:03 PM

He had a great build and great hair.

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2021 3:05 PM

He was never a sex symbol or talked about because of his looks like Tab, Rock or Troy.

by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2021 3:10 PM

He wasn't pretty, but he had a "let's fuck" vibe, which can be very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2021 3:14 PM

Watch that screen test with Paul Newman...There was something about him

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2021 3:19 PM

R28 but he was a rebel, or so I've been told. So be should either have been enormously fat or loin-tighteningly ripped.

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2021 3:30 PM

R31 really, which people? Name five

by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2021 3:33 PM

[quote] I wonder....did the, "live fast, died young...leaving a good looking corpse" start with him...his death?

There was Jean Harlow before him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 6, 2021 3:34 PM

R30 yes because people eighty years ago were so enlightened, I'm sure people eighty years from now will be so different from us!

by Anonymousreply 39July 6, 2021 3:35 PM

R38 eek!

by Anonymousreply 40July 6, 2021 3:35 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 6, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote] He was never a sex symbol or talked about because of his looks like Tab, Rock or Troy.

That's because he was already dead before the public really noticed him. His treatment by them would of course have been really different had he lived longer. By dying so early he became a legend, but he also became de-personalized.

by Anonymousreply 42July 6, 2021 3:37 PM

I'm not throwing James Dean outta bed. You guys go right ahead.

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2021 3:39 PM

I stayed in the bungalow at the Chateau Marmont where he climbed in the window to audition for Nick Ray for ā€œRebel Without a Cause.ā€ I could still hear the echo of moans as Ray penetrated him ā€” it was eerie.

by Anonymousreply 44July 6, 2021 3:39 PM

I lived less than 12 miles from where Dean's car crashed.

He used to visit me at nite and loved haing his ass licked.

by Anonymousreply 45July 6, 2021 3:46 PM

No, he was very fucking cute. Non studio shots show that. He did look ancient next to Sal Mineo in REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, though. I've only seen parts of GIANT but his character seemed supremely annoying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 6, 2021 3:57 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 6, 2021 4:00 PM

Ugh, r46. He looks far older in that photo than he was in real life.

Can you imagine if he'd lived? He'd have looked like the crypt keeper by the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 48July 6, 2021 4:00 PM

[quote]I think he was way hotter after his head was torn off after his deadly car accident.

Oh honey, you're thinking of Jayne Mansfield. And even then you'd be wrong. Jayne makes her appearance at trhe 20 second mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 6, 2021 4:03 PM

I don't even think he would have had Steve McQueen's career trajectory had he lived. He would have ended up in some Spelling prime time drama in the supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 50July 6, 2021 4:03 PM

He had a hot ass. I'm sure, everyone in Hollywood back then had a taste of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 6, 2021 4:03 PM

Itā€™s exciting to think what could have been. Iā€™ve heard that said before r50 about dean ending to on some Spelling show, but in my opinion quentin Tarantino would have rescued him in the worst case scenario and given him some sort of revival.

I think he would have ended up with a sort of Dennis hopper career.

by Anonymousreply 52July 6, 2021 4:08 PM

Paul Neman looks like old leather here. He was still as handsome as fuck his whole life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 6, 2021 4:09 PM

Dean was more interested in pushing boundaries and hated the phoniness of Hollywood. He probably would have had a Marlon Brando style career. Both were bipolar and lived for shocking people.

by Anonymousreply 54July 6, 2021 4:16 PM

R53 I was thinking the other day that as handsome as Paul Newman was he always looked older than his age. I find it hard to believe he was only 40 in butch Cassidy and the sundance kid, Iā€™d put him at a good looking 50 years old.

by Anonymousreply 55July 6, 2021 4:23 PM

I also think he comes across as way hotter in non-posed (or at least not filmic) pictures, ESP. when he's wearing glasses. Poster upthread is correct when he/she says the hotness is more noticeable on film. The camera wanted to fuck him six ways from Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 56July 6, 2021 4:23 PM

Receding hairlines really age a man. Of course, smoking and drinking and a not so good diet also play a part.

by Anonymousreply 57July 6, 2021 4:26 PM

Thank you OP! I agree & his acting is camp. Each year his icon status fades

by Anonymousreply 58July 6, 2021 4:27 PM

James Dean is as annoying as Salinger to me. Whiny, pretentious, think they're hot shit because they have ONE good movie. Giant was good because of Rock and Liz, Dean was ok in it. He has a supporting role. I never saw the appeal, he seems like a nasally brat, not a bad face, ok body for the time, but Jesus, to have to listen to him - no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 59July 6, 2021 4:27 PM

I wonder if he would have done stage work. I imagine William inge and tennesse Williams would have wanted to work with him. I also imagine he would have been up for roles like ā€˜hudā€™

by Anonymousreply 60July 6, 2021 4:27 PM

He was a very photogenic teenager

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2021 4:28 PM

R59 I donā€™t consider giant his great movie, Iā€™d say rebel without a cause and east of Eden are better.

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote]YOU'RE TEARING ME APARTTTTT!

The first time I heard that was when it was sampled in a Joni Mitchell song. I thought, "Which community theater did she record THAT at?"

by Anonymousreply 63July 6, 2021 4:29 PM

It was his Young, angst against society that made him so hot. And his cool jackets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 6, 2021 4:31 PM

R63 doesnā€™t gene wilder pay homage to it in bonnie & Clyde too?

by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2021 4:31 PM

He was a great beauty and a wonderful actor who likely would have had a career similar to Jack Nicholson's. Dean was near-sighted which gave him a yearning quality that appealed to moviegoers. He's fantastic in East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause and has many fine scenes in Giant.

by Anonymousreply 66July 6, 2021 4:33 PM

OP, I feel the same way about Marilyn Monroe and her supposed "great beauty". She was average looking but she had charisma and the camera loved her. Same with Dean. A lot of Hollywood stars, past and today, are average-looking, short and awkward off the camera but they transform themselves in film. You can be naturally beautiful but have no charisma or star quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 6, 2021 4:35 PM

Attractiveness is an opinion and OP is entitled to his stupidly wrong opinion.

by Anonymousreply 68July 6, 2021 4:36 PM

The OP is an idiot. James Dean was quite handsome. And he was "popular" not because of "his nose" but because of his screen charisma. In all his movies it's HIM that you look at; you can't take your eyes off him. The same was true for Marilyn Monroe. They both had that quality.

by Anonymousreply 69July 6, 2021 4:36 PM

Never thought James Dean was as hot as Paul Newman or pretty Warren Beatty. But he had a certain charisma. I think this photo shot is sexy as hell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 6, 2021 4:39 PM

Hollywood tried to recreate the James Dean image with plenty of squinty-eyed young actors in unconventional roles like Matt Dillon, Charlie Sheen, River Phoenix, Keanu Reeves, Leonardo DiCaprio, Luke Perry, James Franco (even played him in a biopic), Brad Renfro, Ed Furlong, Shia LaBeouf, the list goes on...

by Anonymousreply 71July 6, 2021 4:42 PM

Did Warren Beatty have that same lower lip implant as Cher?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 6, 2021 4:42 PM

Dean looked better in candids than Beatty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 6, 2021 4:44 PM

Beatty had pretty eyes but he proved that large lips aren't always attractive. Ol' Fish lips ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 6, 2021 4:47 PM

R72 I know Warren isn't looking so good these days, but he's like a 100. He did hold on to his looks for a long time. I fell in love with him as a child because he was pretty and masculine. He was the prettiest man I ever saw. I just really enjoy a pretty face on a man. And his body was pretty good too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 6, 2021 4:49 PM

Warren Beatty was sort of a poor imitation of dean for a while. In ā€˜all fall downā€™ and ā€˜splendour in the grassā€™ and ā€˜lilithā€™ I sort of cringe watching him ā€œactā€. I hate to be all Hepburn but you can see the mechanism ticking. I really only like him in ā€˜shampooā€™ and ā€˜the parallax viewā€™ when I think he had found his own identity.

by Anonymousreply 76July 6, 2021 4:49 PM

R37 This three hour old thread has 76 posts and counting.

by Anonymousreply 77July 6, 2021 4:50 PM

R76 He was good in Bonnie and Clyde and Reds too. Not the best actor and I think he had a slight stutter. But he was so pretty. And I LOVE him in Heaven Can Wait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 6, 2021 4:53 PM

I find Dean way hotter than most Old Hollywood just like with Monty Clift, Paul Newman and Marlon Brando, they had personalities and they weren't just vessels. Hudson, Beatty, Wagner and Redford were pretty but kind of bland to me.

by Anonymousreply 79July 6, 2021 4:55 PM

Warren Beatty is clearly a very smooth operator but he's never drawn me in as a screen presence. When I think of "Shampoo," I think of the women - even little Carrie Fisher. I don't think of Beatty at all.

by Anonymousreply 80July 6, 2021 4:59 PM

Dean never could've directed a film as great as Reds though -- think Beatty's a better director than actor, but gosh he was beautiful for awhile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 6, 2021 5:00 PM

OP is looking at a photo of Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 82July 6, 2021 5:03 PM

Beatty's face was too long. He could be easily done up as Frankenstein's monster in the pic at r81. Did women say he was a good lay?

by Anonymousreply 83July 6, 2021 5:04 PM

Dean and Brando were the first actors to portray teens are they really are. Before them it was Andy Hardy "Golly gee dad!" bullshit. For teens in the 50s it was electrifying to see someone on screen they could identify with.

by Anonymousreply 84July 6, 2021 5:08 PM

Boomers grew up with the hoax that was the Cold War and also the hoax that Monroe or Jimmy Dean had beauty and talent. They were whores for the film studios, then they died.

by Anonymousreply 85July 6, 2021 5:11 PM

[Quote] Dean and Brando were the first actors to portray teens are they really are. Before them it was Andy Hardy "Golly gee dad!" bullshit. For teens in the 50s it was electrifying to see someone on screen they could identify with.

Have you seen "Mildred Pierce"?

by Anonymousreply 86July 6, 2021 5:12 PM

We're still talking about Dean and Monroe today. The studios couldn't make us do that.

by Anonymousreply 87July 6, 2021 5:13 PM

Warren Beatty was a lean, mean fucking machine with a pretty face. He was also a lazy bitch that didn't make many movies. But if he was passionate about a project (Bonnie and Clyde or REDS) then he would work his ass off. He was pretty back in the day before Brad Pitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 6, 2021 5:15 PM

Teens weren't flocking to see Mildred Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 89July 6, 2021 5:15 PM

Beatty has similar, girlishly pretty eyes as Zac Efron.

by Anonymousreply 90July 6, 2021 5:16 PM

He had a boyish look about him. It doesn't matter what your physical features are, if you have that young, naĆÆve quality, everyone will be attracted to you.

by Anonymousreply 91July 6, 2021 5:16 PM

Teens flocked to see Frank Sinatra. Was he the original teenager?

by Anonymousreply 92July 6, 2021 5:17 PM

I canā€™t not see some of Shirley MacLaine in Beattyā€™s face. Thatā€™s a deal breaker for me.

by Anonymousreply 93July 6, 2021 5:17 PM

R87 Yeah, Boomers are talking about them relics of 100 years ago. I'll be so happy when all the Boomers are dead.

by Anonymousreply 94July 6, 2021 5:17 PM

Ben Whishaw has never made it as a bonafide movie star. He's a character actor. He's useless for the mainstream majority to project their romantic fantasies onto him.

by Anonymousreply 95July 6, 2021 5:18 PM

[Quote] I'll be so happy when all the Boomers are dead.

Why do you visit the Data Lounge?

by Anonymousreply 96July 6, 2021 5:18 PM

[quote]Ben Whishaw has never made it as a bonafide movie star. He's a character actor. He's useless for the mainstream majority to project their romantic fantasies onto him.

He gets work because of his boyish quality, not specifically his face or acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 97July 6, 2021 5:19 PM

Both Jimmy Dean and Ben are both gay too. So they also have that in common. I think Ben is more on the hot nerd side.

by Anonymousreply 98July 6, 2021 5:21 PM

JD was very attractive. I would have loved to hold him kiss him sleep and fuck with him. Everything.

by Anonymousreply 99July 6, 2021 5:24 PM

What I want to know is why that ugly woman who later played on Seinfeld said she was engaged to be married to him? Did she remind him of a man? James Dean could have had any in a long line of beautiful beards. Why pick an ugly beard?

by Anonymousreply 100July 6, 2021 5:24 PM

Beautiful beards are a pain in the ass. Ugly ones are more grateful and less high maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 101July 6, 2021 5:27 PM

I never knew about the circumstances of his accident that killed him. I assumed that he was speeding in that Porsche, lost control, and crashed. There was another car involved (google is my friend). There was a passenger in the Porsche..and some believe that the passenger was the driver at the time. The passenger survived. Dean's car was traveling straight, by an intersection when another car, driven by Donald Turnupseed (yep, that's his name) proceeded to make a left turn...and crashed into Dean's car. It slid into a fence approx. 45 feet away from the impact. Clearly, Turnupseed was at fault. In a deposition, it was ruled as an accident...both contributed in some way. He got cleared off on any citations. Some believe that Dean (or maybe the passenger..assuming he was driving) was speeding at the time...up to 90 mph. If he was going that fast, the car would have flown way beyond the fence...into a pasture, maybe 300 feet. The aluminum car would have been totally shattered. The car was a mess, but kept pretty intact.

by Anonymousreply 102July 6, 2021 5:37 PM

*proceeded to make a left turn, traveling the opposite direction.^^

by Anonymousreply 103July 6, 2021 5:40 PM

R29 - ..."live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse...." is a quote from the 1949 movie Knock On Any Door.

It's said by John Derek....as a young hoodlum accused of murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 6, 2021 5:52 PM

Thanks R104..

by Anonymousreply 105July 6, 2021 5:56 PM

Jimmy's anus was a lot bigger than his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 106July 6, 2021 6:02 PM

When Iā€™m wearing my James Dean belt buckle and primping in the mirror, I could swear he winks at me sometimes!

by Anonymousreply 107July 6, 2021 6:03 PM

I don't get all the love for Sal Mineo on DL either. He was his cutest in Rebel, but after that, forget him. He just looked like a doughy Italian guy.

by Anonymousreply 108July 6, 2021 7:11 PM

James Dean really wasnā€™t all that attractive. Tragically he passed away in his youth and at the prime of his looks.

by Anonymousreply 109July 6, 2021 7:18 PM

I always thought James Dean ushered in the whole concept of "coolness". True or not?

by Anonymousreply 110July 6, 2021 7:35 PM

Deanā€™s charisma, which includes looks and personality, projected big time and most importantly has endured. A lot of his photos have a timeless quality in addition to portraying a sensitive yet rebellious personality that wasnā€™t limited to his time (1950s).

His best acting was in East of Eden where his use of body/ body language was quite terrific in building a vulnerable character whoā€™s always seeking validation and not necessarily affection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111July 6, 2021 8:15 PM

I was obsessed with Dean when I was 17 or 18 (this was late 90s). He had this ethereal quality. And, as someone else said, a yearning quality that my teenaged self fell in love with. I didn't care about his beauty one way or the other. He wasn't my type. But I did want to be him.

by Anonymousreply 112July 6, 2021 8:34 PM

"Boomers grew up with the hoax that was the Cold War and also the hoax that Monroe or Jimmy Dean had beauty and talent. "

You are truly a moron if you think that the talent and good looks of James Dean and Marilyn Monroe was a "hoax." Or maybe you're just a pathetic troll trying to get a rise out of people. Anyway, you're really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 113July 6, 2021 8:40 PM

Good-looking slobs who seem vulnerable are really seductive. James Dean, among other things, was one. Just like Marilyn Monroe (another slob).

by Anonymousreply 114July 6, 2021 8:41 PM

That's a good photo of him at R111 .

by Anonymousreply 115July 6, 2021 9:09 PM

James Dean was edgy and a bad boy and that was sexy. Plus he died as fast as he became famous thus the mystery, the melancholy that young girls and boys crave.

by Anonymousreply 116July 6, 2021 9:26 PM

Cancel him, OP! Knock over his statue at Griffith Park Observatory! If the dead offend you - if they're not as beautiful or ideal as you'd like them to be - ATTACK!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 6, 2021 9:33 PM

Still a style influence/ icon after almost 70 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 6, 2021 9:36 PM

[quote]The car was a mess, but kept pretty intact.

The car was part of a touring exhibit promoting auto safety. It disappeared a couple of years later and hasn't been seen since. Probably the most valuable wrecked car on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 119July 6, 2021 9:44 PM

Quite big tits.

by Anonymousreply 120July 6, 2021 10:39 PM

He sure had some nice dick-sucking lips. I'm sure all those movie execs were lucky to fuck Dean in the mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 6, 2021 11:23 PM

He was hot trade who got opportunities to be in pictures nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 122July 6, 2021 11:35 PM

How many gay movie execs were there back then? People always mention the agent Henry Willson but what about the execs?

by Anonymousreply 123July 6, 2021 11:43 PM

Deanā€™s agent was Dick Clayton, I think?

by Anonymousreply 124July 7, 2021 12:05 AM

Never smoked so he held no charms for moi.

by Anonymousreply 125July 7, 2021 12:07 AM

[quote] I don't get all the love for Sal Mineo on DL either.

He looked a lot like Ralph Macchio. Neither aged well past their early 30s

by Anonymousreply 126July 7, 2021 12:10 AM

Ralph Macchio? The Karate Kid? He's aged incredibly. He was never sexy, though.

by Anonymousreply 127July 7, 2021 12:19 AM

YouTube recommended this video for me today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 7, 2021 12:20 AM

Newman definitely hit that. So did Dick Davolos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 7, 2021 12:23 AM

Raymond Massey hated working with Dean on East of Eden. I read that in a biography it was because he did not improvise unlike Dean, who did and it made Massey furious because he couldnā€™t respond in kind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 7, 2021 12:32 AM

Warren Beatty and Paul Newman were both handsome and sexy. I guess Paul didn't have to worry about being outshined with James Dean standing next to him.

by Anonymousreply 131July 7, 2021 12:34 AM

I heard stories and tales of how sexy James Dean was when I was growing up. Then I watched Rebel Without a Cause and thought... That was him? The legendary icon? He wasn't even a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 132July 7, 2021 12:38 AM

Massey was also very religious and was deeply offended when Dean mocked an Old Testament scripture by inserting profanity into it for laughs. Saying, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not suck cock." That caused a lot of tension.

by Anonymousreply 133July 7, 2021 12:39 AM

Massey was especially peeved during this scene, when Dean - unscripted - practically crawled up on him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 7, 2021 12:44 AM

Dean was a piece of work for a lot of people he worked with. He didn't seem to like the Hollywood crowd much either. He had his small group of friends like William Bast and Barbara Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 135July 7, 2021 12:44 AM

[quote]I stayed in the bungalow at the Chateau Marmont where he climbed in the window to audition for Nick Ray for ā€œRebel Without a Cause.ā€

I was in the Chateau Marmont bungalow next to Nick Ray's when James Dean mistook my bungalow for Ray's. I screamed and threw an ashtray at his head. That was the beginning of his love of pain for sexual pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 136July 7, 2021 12:51 AM

Ahem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 7, 2021 12:59 AM

OP's next thread: "Marilyn Monroe was ugly and I don't know why any man would want to fuck her."

by Anonymousreply 138July 7, 2021 1:04 AM

R138 has no idea how to write a good headline.

by Anonymousreply 139July 7, 2021 1:05 AM

Since his death, every actor with dimples and who affected an outsider cool, sensitive persona is wishfully hailed as the next James Dean. But no one came close to the original because he really was that persona and more. One could argue that Paul Newman benefited from not having to compete for roles with Dean. Newman was also mire establishment Hollywood than Dean ever was, so itā€™s hard to guess what trajectory each actor wouldā€™ve had if Dean didnā€™t die so young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 7, 2021 1:17 AM

What Kazan also said about Dean:

When they first arrived in Los Angeles to begin production, Elia Kazan accompanied James Dean to visit his estranged father, who was living there at the time. He witnessed first-hand how badly the father treated Dean and how much the boy wanted to please him. As he got to know Dean better, Kazan saw how this relationship had instilled in him a great deal of anger because of frustrated love, the key to the character of Cal: "It was the most apt piece of casting I've ever done in my life."

ā€œElia Kazan denied rumors that he didn't like James Dean: "You can't not like a guy with that much pain in him . . . You know how a dog will be mean and snarl at you, then you pat him, and he's all over you with affection? That's the way Dean was."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 7, 2021 1:31 AM

Who was a better actor? Dean or Clift?

by Anonymousreply 142July 7, 2021 1:36 AM

Clift

by Anonymousreply 143July 7, 2021 1:41 AM

OP has committed sacrilege. James Dean was one of the most beautiful twinks ever to hit the screen. I love how his features have that cross between an all-American hearty look and European sensuality. And what seemed a nice tight little body and great ass.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Rebel Without a Cause, circa 1999. The iconography of Dean had led me to believe he was some kind of tough, macho guy on screen. Instead I was confronted by this almost oozingly soft, vulnerable presence. That sensitivity was just not something I was used to seeing in men on screen. I was totally smitten.

by Anonymousreply 144July 7, 2021 1:43 AM

River Phoenix had that quality.

by Anonymousreply 145July 7, 2021 1:48 AM

Bisexual bottoms are always hot.

by Anonymousreply 146July 7, 2021 2:00 AM

There is a funny Leonard Rosenman interview where he talks about James Dean asking him to play basketball. Dean says something like, ā€œit could kind of be like youā€™re my dad.ā€ Rosenmanā€™s reply was something like, ā€œget lost, you fucking creep.ā€

Dean was genuinely close to Eartha Kitt.

But, I guess if you really want the facts, just ask Peter Lawford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 7, 2021 2:04 AM

R142, though Clift and Dean were often placed together, as they were both Method actors, the two had very different styles: Dean was a very external, expressive actor, his face (and body) a flood of emotions; Clift was much more internal, combusting from within, but softly. Compare Clift in A Place in the Sun with Dean in East of Eden - theyā€™re practically polar opposites.

by Anonymousreply 148July 7, 2021 2:05 AM

What do you look like, OP?

Never mind, your post explains everything.

by Anonymousreply 149July 7, 2021 2:11 AM

ā€œJimmy inspired a lot of jealousy in peopleā€ - Sammy Davis Jr. posting on DL from beyond the grave!!! Itā€™s like heā€™s reading the thread!

by Anonymousreply 150July 7, 2021 2:12 AM

But what was the dick like?

by Anonymousreply 151July 7, 2021 2:15 AM

He looked too old to be a teenager in Rebel Without a Cause, he looked about forty.

by Anonymousreply 152July 7, 2021 2:26 AM

R149 the thread called, it made similar low-hanging comments in the first ten posts.

by Anonymousreply 153July 7, 2021 2:34 AM

What an idiotic thread.

by Anonymousreply 154July 7, 2021 3:14 AM

"He looked too old to be a teenager in Rebel Without a Cause, he looked about forty."

No, he didn't, you blind twat.

by Anonymousreply 155July 7, 2021 3:19 AM

He was punk.

by Anonymousreply 156July 7, 2021 3:20 AM

I always skip the first 10 to 20 posts, R153

by Anonymousreply 157July 7, 2021 3:51 AM

He looked like Stockard Channing in GREASE when he was next to Sal Mineo.

by Anonymousreply 158July 7, 2021 4:06 AM

OP is so used to seeing the InstaHo generation of men who spend 2 hours a day working out to get a deformed body, use countless beauty products, and filter their pictures that he doesnā€™t realize that at one time men actually looked like men.

by Anonymousreply 159July 7, 2021 4:12 AM

I always get the sense he would have been a nightmare to be around. He seems extreme either too playful in the screen tests with Newman and Davalos or too intense as demonstrated by his dramatic performances. There seems to have been no in between. As for all the celebs who claim to have known him wellā€¦ it seems he was too popular to be presented as such an ā€œoutsiderā€. I hate when celebs rewrite history and make themselves out to be some Zelig who knew everyone and dodged numerous bad eventsā€¦ like the Manson murdersā€¦

by Anonymousreply 160July 7, 2021 4:53 AM

[quote]At the time, he was something extremely different. He had a vulnerability that made you want to mother him.

I don't see how that was any different from, say, Montgomery Clift, who conveyed that same vulnerability years earlier with "A Place in the Sun" and "From Here to Eternity." In the former, there are several scenes of Clift being "mothered" by Elizabeth Taylor, with his head either on her lap or against her bosom, like a wounded manchild. I don't think filmdom had ever seen a leading man be so passive, and frankly, I don't find it very attractive. What I do think James Dean was successful at was taking the vulnerability of Clift and combining it with the brooding sexuality of Brando, albeit watered down. He didn't swagger the way Brando did, but he wasn't as passive as Clift either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 7, 2021 5:20 AM

[quote]I always get the sense he would have been a nightmare to be around.

Umm you just described 90% of actors and actresses.

by Anonymousreply 162July 7, 2021 5:21 AM

I thought Richard davalos was better looking than dean. I always wonder why he didnā€™t do so much following ā€œeast of Edenā€ he was probably competing with Anthony Perkins and John Kerr for the sensitive boy roles.

by Anonymousreply 163July 7, 2021 5:27 AM

Dick Davalos admitted that he never really liked being an actor, which likely explains why his career never really took off after "East of Eden." Acting was just a job, not a career.

And as R160 observed about Dean being too intense, Davalos said that just being in a scene with Dean could be an "unnerving" experience because James had an "instinct too disturb." The shoot was an exhausting and draining experience for him. Also, when they returned from their location shoot, Davalos begged Kazan for separate rooms because Dean was impossible to live with because of his mood swings, slovenly personal habits, and horndog Dean's sexual attraction to him.

by Anonymousreply 164July 7, 2021 5:57 AM

Dean was a notorious scene stealer and Rock Hudson hated him for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 7, 2021 6:13 AM

Yes, Dean added the rope-playing bit, and Hudson tried to counter by fussing with the contract and cash. He lost.

by Anonymousreply 166July 7, 2021 6:50 AM

Dean absolutely does steal that scene, R165! He's fucking mesmerizing. I haven't seen Giant in decades. I seem to remember him over acting - but maybe I'm confusing that performance with Rebel.

He's subtle and near perfect.

by Anonymousreply 167July 7, 2021 8:29 AM

I would have fucked him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 7, 2021 8:39 AM

R154 Itā€™s not. Wondeful to read what people think of him. For me he is one of the most handsome movie stars ever. Strong yet very sensitive.

by Anonymousreply 169July 7, 2021 9:09 AM

R147, But that's not funny.

by Anonymousreply 170July 7, 2021 11:01 AM

R23, Legend, not career. Hardly career.

by Anonymousreply 171July 7, 2021 11:01 AM

R29, We doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 172July 7, 2021 11:05 AM

He was young and pretty. That's all. Lots of people would become 'iconic' if they were captured on film in their youths and then died young.

Traditional tragedy is dying before you grow old and ugly.

Tragedy to gay men is living beyond beautiful years to become old and ugly.

by Anonymousreply 173July 7, 2021 11:19 AM

John Gilmore who knew James Dean in NYC claims that Dean was a top. Dean wanted to fuck him, but Gilmore couldn't go through with it because he had never been fucked.

by Anonymousreply 174July 7, 2021 1:55 PM

Let's diagnose. Bipolar?

by Anonymousreply 175July 7, 2021 2:02 PM

R174 Gilmore ā€œknewā€ everyone and has a story to tell about everyone, I donā€™t really believe him. Isnā€™t he like Darwin Porter- and they always happen to be dead so no one can sueā€¦

by Anonymousreply 176July 7, 2021 2:39 PM

oh yesā€¦ his terminal homeliness placed him amongst societyā€™s very dregs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 7, 2021 2:39 PM

I seriously doubt Dean and Brando were both bipolar. It wasn't like today where every Millennial turd has every personality/mood/psychotic disorder known to man.

by Anonymousreply 178July 7, 2021 2:42 PM

Gilmore may be a liar - but the comparison the Darwin Porter is a bit extreme.

by Anonymousreply 179July 7, 2021 2:45 PM

"the" = "to".....

by Anonymousreply 180July 7, 2021 2:45 PM

Honestly, someone who could have used a dose of intensive facial help was his costar Julie Harris (!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 7, 2021 3:10 PM

Never did a thing for me. And his over-the-top intensity was embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 182July 7, 2021 3:14 PM

A lot of his intensity and OTT emotional output in his acting may have come from unresolved issues from being a victim of sexual abuse by a trusted minister. The minister preyed on a vulnerable 11-year-old Dean after his mother had died and he moved to Indiana to be raised by family members. The abuse had lasted for years with the probability that a confused young teenage Dean believing it was a loving fatherly relationship. There are some biographies and interviews that touch upon it. What we now know about male adult survivors of sexual abuse is that they suffer shame but also some try to justify it because itā€™d help erase some of that shame. They do this more so than women. Add into the mix Deanā€™s rejection by his father and you had a boiling cauldron of pent up emotions that werenā€™t explored at the time. Had he lived, perhaps he wouldā€™ve found acceptance and closure in psychotherapy. In the 70s, sexual abuse began to be a more focused area of therapy. But in the 50s it was still a taboo subject even within confines of therapy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 7, 2021 4:14 PM

He was definitely on a self-destructive path and most of his sexual relationships were with older men with power. I'm sure he was bipolar and had BPD too especially since he lashed out a lot at people, was an insomniac and also was obsessed with attention and identity. He stalked Brando and Clift to the point, both made sure to avoid him. The women like Liz, Julie, Eartha and Natalie in his life took pity on him and saw him as a lost little boy.

by Anonymousreply 184July 7, 2021 4:22 PM

Morrisseyā€™s homage to Dean. Video shot in the Indiana town Dean grew up and is buried.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 7, 2021 4:22 PM

R134 Punk chewed everything but my foreskin.

by Anonymousreply 186July 7, 2021 4:24 PM

Dean would be identifying as a non-binary sexuality fluid queer if he were alive today.

And would be a purple haired 90 year old with a hot young lover.

by Anonymousreply 187July 7, 2021 4:26 PM

R184 we donā€™t have enough evidence to diagnose him as bipolar. What we do know is that he was a victim of longstanding sexual abuse, and as a man during that era he had to have shouldered some immense pain and confusion. It likely impacted his personality up to that point. 24-25 years of age is just about the time that our brain stops developing, the prefrontal cortex specifically doesnā€™t stop fully forming until that age.

I think he was starting to process it when heā€™d admitted the abuse to Liz.

by Anonymousreply 188July 7, 2021 4:29 PM

He was no Sal Mineo

by Anonymousreply 189July 7, 2021 4:49 PM

R148 most of his sexual relationships were with older men with power.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s discussed in his biographies, but a friend of mine who worked in NYC at the time said it was common knowledge Dean was kept by some television exec during his early years there.

by Anonymousreply 190July 7, 2021 4:49 PM

R183 So not only is he bipolar but also has trauma issues from being sexually abused. Here's some news for you, stupid fuck, everyone and their dog in Dean's day were getting fucked by their daddies, uncles, brothers, neighbors. No one was immune from it.

by Anonymousreply 191July 7, 2021 4:53 PM

Oopsā€¦ meant to quote, like this:

[quote]R148 most of his sexual relationships were with older men with power.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s discussed in his biographies, but a friend of mine who worked in NYC at the time said it was common knowledge Dean was kept by some television exec during his early years there.

by Anonymousreply 192July 7, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]R191 Here's some news for you, stupid fuck, everyone and their dog in Dean's day were getting fucked by their daddies, uncles, brothers, neighbors. No one was immune from it.

If only we could go BACK IN TIME ! ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193July 7, 2021 4:59 PM

R191 you are way invested in this. I actually diagnose patients with mental health disorders including bipolar, and sorry to tell you but itā€™s impossible to pin a bipolar diagnosis on a 24- year-old who died in 1955. Especially someone whose life and lore have been subjected to lies, innuendo, and recalibrated remembrances of friends/ contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 194July 7, 2021 5:04 PM

R178 You type like a turd with a psychotic mood disorder yourself

by Anonymousreply 195July 7, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote] I seriously doubt Dean and Brando were both bipolar. It wasn't like today where every Millennial turd has every personality/mood/psychotic disorder known to man.

Brando wasn't bipolar. He did have a different kind of nature, just a lot more open than most people. He wasn't hung up on this-or-that sexual identity, he was an extremely sexual being and he brought that to the screen and to his personal life, but he was also a moral being who sought out knowledge and then acted upon what he learned. He refused an Oscar to draw attention to abuses of Native Americans, which obviously rubbed some people the wrong way, but he took a stand about something for which he felt deep compassion.

Brando seems to me as if he was an uncommon empath who was open to sexual feelings, open to loving or befriending anyone, open to advocating for others who had lesser voices, and he drew from that empathy in his acting. One of the reasons he is considered one of the great film actors of all time, not just movie stars, is because he gave more emotionally authentic and less theatrical types of performances than almost anyone had before him. Prior to Brando, people performed histrionically the way they do in stage productions. Brando seemed to channel his characters and he performed them in a way that appeared to make them believable human beings who felt things. I think he probably just did this naturally because he was so empathetic.

Being empathetic doesn't make a person sentimental and only compassionate; it means that people can understand and *feel* all kinds of feelings, healthy, destructive and otherwise, when exposed to other people or when exposed to writing that elicits those feelings. This is unusual, and if he had any reputation of behaving strangely on set, it's probably because he was caught up in the emotions of the characters he was portraying, and people at the time were professionals who performed in a different way to be shown and heard but not as deeply felt.

Listen to him talk in this interview. He was sincere. And he doesn't seem mentally or emotionally unstable at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 7, 2021 5:34 PM

I love how you revolting cunts try to "diagnose" everyone with questionable crap. Methinks you cunts are full of shit. You cannot diagnose dead people with your bullshit labels. Who gives a fuck what they were. They're dead!

by Anonymousreply 197July 7, 2021 6:21 PM

If Brando were as empathetic as upthread is trying to pain him, he would have been a better partner and father...

by Anonymousreply 198July 7, 2021 6:42 PM

*trying to paint him

by Anonymousreply 199July 7, 2021 6:42 PM

Dean is over rated as an actor. He's absolutely distracting in Giant, with his hammy, scenery chewing antics. Had he not died young he would probably have had an interesting career. His tragic end was a great career move.

by Anonymousreply 200July 7, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote] He was hot trade who got opportunities to be in pictures nothing more.

So the Tom Cruise of the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 201July 7, 2021 6:52 PM

I thought "trade" meant nonreciprocal?

by Anonymousreply 202July 7, 2021 7:00 PM

Love this shot of him and Richard Davalos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203July 7, 2021 7:01 PM

Brando was very socially conscious but that doesn't mean he was a good person to others. He was said to be very mean and abusive to his partners and children and other actors and directors have their stories to tell. People in Hollywood even back then tend to lead left-wing, so it wasn't like Brando was the only person with those views.

by Anonymousreply 204July 7, 2021 7:03 PM

[quote]R200 He's absolutely distracting in Giant, with his hammy, scenery chewing antics.

Being surrounded by non-acting black holes Liz Taylor and Rock Hudson in GIANT makes him look like heā€™s doing more than he actually is.

Heā€™s actually a glorious actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205July 7, 2021 9:18 PM

[R205] Taylor and Hudson were both great screen actors, particularly Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 206July 7, 2021 10:02 PM

And Hudson and Taylor are both fantastic in Giant, actually better than Dean, who's very erratic in the film.

by Anonymousreply 207July 7, 2021 10:10 PM

Dean was a fish out of water in 'Giant.' Director George Stevens never gave actors notes or direction, just expected them to hit their marks and say their lines. Dean was emotive and improvisational. Stevens hated that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208July 7, 2021 10:12 PM

He would have came out of the closet in the 60s or 70s during the Sexual Revolution. He wasn't even good at being closeted in the 50s. Though we don't know if he would have still been a big star past the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 209July 7, 2021 10:30 PM

[quote]R207 Hudson and Taylor are both fantastic in Giant, actually better than Dean

Yeah, umā€¦ Stevens was so disappointed in Taylorā€™s inability to display emotion on GIANT that he finally jammed her in too-small shoes and an uncomfortable hairdo for one scene so sheā€™d show [italic]something,[/italic] even if it was just a wince.

And I donā€™t think Stevens kept all the outtakes between Rock and Liz to show guests an example of great acting, either, like he did those between James Dean and Carroll Baker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 7, 2021 10:44 PM

I didnt think he was that attractive either, but he was the first moody broody tortured soul that seemed so contemporary at that time so I can understand why he became legendary. He seemed relatable to the teens of that time. The other leading men seemed so formal or as old as your grandfather and uptight.

Personally, paul newman, marlon brando, montgomery clift were so much prettier.

by Anonymousreply 211July 7, 2021 11:21 PM

"Personally, paul newman, marlon brando, montgomery clift were so much prettier."

That's really a matter of taste. I think Dean was as attractive as any of them. And NONE of them had his intensity, his sensitivity. Clift did to a degree, but Dean really outshone him when it came to that raw emotion.

by Anonymousreply 212July 8, 2021 1:02 AM

I've never seen a James Dean movie, but YouTube keeps showing me this audition of his because it was GAY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213July 8, 2021 1:07 AM

Dean was definitely charismatic, but he was a very undisiplined actor and that would have been a problem going forward if he was working with lesser directors than the three he had. I think he's wonderful in the first two thirds of Giant, but the last part, where he was supposed to be middle aged was just embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 214July 8, 2021 1:08 AM

And this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 8, 2021 1:09 AM

That screen test with Dean and Paul Newman was very amusing. Obviously Dean was trying to have some fun with Newman by doing things like telling him "Kiss me." Newman, having a good sense of humor, simply banters back. I think if Dean had been with a different kind of actor the outcome would have been much different; some actors would have been enraged at his antics. Rock Hudson was that type; he disliked Dean heartily. Actually I would have taken the uninhibited Dean over the closeted Rock Hudson any day.

by Anonymousreply 216July 8, 2021 2:29 AM

Dean had an obsessive crush on both Brando and Clift and emulated heavily them in his acting. He stalked them, wrote letters to them and tried calling them repeatedly. Brando who had met Dean in NYC got sick of it and gave Dean the number of his psychiatrist. Clift never met Dean in person but was annoyed by Dean constantly trying to call him that he had his phone number changed. It's rumored that Brando and Dean had a sexual relationship but there's nothing to confirm it and I don't think Brando would have lied about that.

by Anonymousreply 217July 8, 2021 2:32 AM

They were both closeted, no?

by Anonymousreply 218July 8, 2021 2:32 AM

ā€œHomosexuality is so much in fashion it no longer makes news. Like a large number of men, I, too, have had homosexual experiences and I am not ashamed. I have never paid much attention to what people think about me. But if there is someone who is convinced that Jack Nicholson and I are lovers, may they continue to do so. I find it amusing.ā€

ā€”Marlon Brando to biographer Gary Carey in 1976

ā€˜Letā€™s say sex has no sexā€™, Brando later stated acknowledging sex with men.

by Anonymousreply 219July 8, 2021 2:40 AM

Dean was hot but his cum probably tasted like cigarettes...And after reading this thread I'm starting to think he may have been patient zero for the HIV

by Anonymousreply 220July 8, 2021 2:53 AM

It's really interesting to think what would have become of Dean and Monroe had they lives to see the Sexual Revolution and aftermath.

by Anonymousreply 221July 8, 2021 3:01 AM

Growing up, I only saw photos of him and couldn't figure out his appeal. Then I saw his movies on a big screen and I swooned. (Mary! I know...) He had "it."

by Anonymousreply 222July 8, 2021 3:02 AM

r219 Brando was such a pretentious queen!

by Anonymousreply 223July 8, 2021 3:18 AM

I'm not sure why but I think the "oozing sex" tag used for James Dean could also be applied to Bo Sinn.

Perhaps he's James Dean reincarnated?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224July 8, 2021 3:22 AM

Patricia Bosworth's biography of Montgomery Clift stated that when hearing of James Dean's death Monty, who was in bed at the time, "threw up across the white satin sheets." He said "James Dean's death has a profound effect on me. The instant I heard about it I vomited. I don't know why."

by Anonymousreply 225July 8, 2021 3:29 AM

Clift probably deeply regretted not getting to meet Dean and letting him fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 226July 8, 2021 3:32 AM

No, Clift (who I adore) probably realized what a petty queen he himself had been. And how heā€™d had an opportunity to help someone younger who greatly admired him , but instead just retreated to an easy place (dismissal) that made HIM alone feel good.

Actors are self centered.

by Anonymousreply 227July 8, 2021 4:31 AM

Or maybe Dean's death made Clift feel some kind of survivor's guilt? Because Dean had tried to contact him and he thought that if he had responded it could have prevented Dean from dying somehow. I mean since Clift was a star, I don't think he was a stranger to being stalked but he didn't expect one of his admirers to become a movie star and then die unexpectedly.

by Anonymousreply 228July 8, 2021 4:42 AM

I love thinking about how he would have continued into the late 50s and 60s and onwards. A few parts that come to mind, I see him working with Sidney lumet and Katharine Hepburn in ā€œlong days journey into nightā€, probably the dean stockwell part and while I donā€™t see him playing cops in the 70s I wonder if he couldnā€™t have fit into a role like Pacinoā€™s in ā€œdog day afternoonā€; aside from this, Iā€™m thinking directors would have tailored roles for him for the chance to work with him. I donā€™t think he would have had to rely on an Aaron spelling career revival in the 80s by that time though he may have begun slowing down.

by Anonymousreply 229July 8, 2021 4:48 AM

Bo Sinn has a gigantic hog that oozes on the regular (all manner of stuff, I expect). If he had a small dick, no one would be talking about sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 230July 8, 2021 6:18 AM

Umā€¦ hello?

by Anonymousreply 231July 8, 2021 6:55 AM

R217 Articles and books have been written about their sick love affair, you stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 232July 8, 2021 7:03 AM

R232, were those books by reputable academic presses? Were the articles peer reviewed? (More like "leer reviewed" amirite?)

by Anonymousreply 233July 8, 2021 10:04 AM

R233 like anyone needs to prove anything to a fucking idiot like you.

by Anonymousreply 234July 8, 2021 10:22 AM

R234, put down the meth pipe, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 235July 8, 2021 10:27 AM

[R210] Stevens, whom Clift regarded as more a technician than artist, had already worked with Taylor in the spectacularly successful A PLACE IN THE SUN by the time they collaborated again on GIANT. I doubt he had real issues with her acting ability or lack thereof. In terms of actors and their opinions about acting, Richard Burton thought Taylor was a genius as a screen performer, an assessment I agree with. Given Taylor's later, hyper-dramatic performances (SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER, VIRGINIA WOOLF, most of her 60's and 70's output) I doubt directors needed to resort to slapping her or putting razor blades in her high heels to get her emotions going.

by Anonymousreply 236July 8, 2021 4:40 PM

I always thought Taylor was better in her earlier movies than her later ones. She became studied and a little fake whereas earlier she had an ease that she lost.

by Anonymousreply 237July 8, 2021 7:34 PM

He was naturally photogenic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238July 9, 2021 5:36 AM

That's about as handsome as someone can be, R238. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 239July 9, 2021 7:37 AM

Attractive doesnā€™t always have to be classically handsome. He oozed sex appeal yet wasnā€™t a classic Adonis. Handsome enough or he wouldnā€™t have been a major star.

by Anonymousreply 240July 9, 2021 7:50 AM

James Dean was a Dionysus, the "Dying God." Beautiful, vulnerable, emotional, captivating.

Newman nor Brando were all the above. Only Montgomery Clift came close, and then primarily as unsympathetic characters ("A Place in the Sun," "The Heiress").

And only James Dean among them spoke to an entire generation on the cusp of a generational revolution.

His only other compatriot was Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 241July 9, 2021 12:55 PM

R241 Nope. He was known to never shower, so he stunk to high heaven. His method acting made him look retarded. Watching any of his scenes now you are embarrassed for all involved. His whole life was built on self-destruction, so at least he succeeded there. Only delusional Boomers think highly of him. The rest of us roll our eyes and say whatever.

by Anonymousreply 242July 9, 2021 1:00 PM

[quote]r236 In terms of actors and their opinions about acting, Richard Burton thought Taylor was a genius as a screen performer, an assessment I agree with.

If you realize Burton was a husband talking about his meal ticket, it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 243July 9, 2021 2:49 PM

R242, Your first five sentences are completely irrelevant to my post (r241).

Your final two are absurd on their face.

by Anonymousreply 244July 9, 2021 4:30 PM

[R243] He wrote it in his diary after they first met and worked together. Not everyone is as cynical as your are.

by Anonymousreply 245July 9, 2021 4:36 PM

For r242.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246July 9, 2021 4:52 PM

The camera loved him.

by Anonymousreply 247July 9, 2021 4:54 PM

Not according to that photo at r246

by Anonymousreply 248July 9, 2021 4:57 PM

He didn't have a soft body for movie stars of his era--it was considered an extremely nice body in the 1950s.

I wish i could have seen what kind of actor he would have become. He overacts ridiculously in "Rebel without a Cause," and his Method acting seems to throw everyone off kilter in "Giant" since no one else is acting in that style. He's better in "East of Eden" because there are other Method actors in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 249July 9, 2021 4:57 PM

He was more ā€˜cuteā€™ than conventionally handsome.

by Anonymousreply 250July 9, 2021 5:04 PM

I thought his draw was that he was cute and he was groomed early on to take cock by his pedo pastor? Basically, a perfect fit for Hollywood.

By the time he landed in LA, or was it NYC first, he was ready to ride or blow whatever cock was waved in his pretty face in order to get ahead. Sort of like a less high Corey Haim. Fuck and suck at the drop of the hat. He would have been tossed aside one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 251July 9, 2021 5:08 PM

That giant forehead would have only got bigger with his hairline receding. I don't think he would have maintained his icon status like Brando did.

by Anonymousreply 252July 9, 2021 5:40 PM

The original Luke Perry, looked like a handsome 40-year-old while in high school!

by Anonymousreply 253July 9, 2021 5:46 PM

R252, he would have transitioned to character roles had he not died. Looks would have been less important then.

by Anonymousreply 254July 9, 2021 7:27 PM

"Only delusional Boomers think highly of him. The rest of us roll our eyes and say whatever."

I guess you're a troll. Or a retard. Probably both. Definitely the latter.

by Anonymousreply 255July 9, 2021 11:23 PM

I wonder if he could have played Holden Caulfield? If Salinger ever allowed a film adaptation in the 50s. I think Dean would have been perfect playing the mentally unstable and emotionally neglected little rich boy Holden.

by Anonymousreply 256July 10, 2021 12:38 AM

He looked a little old for such a role, no?

by Anonymousreply 257July 10, 2021 1:17 AM

R251 If Dean was smart, he would have moved on to writing or directing which he seemed to have an interest in. Haim was a bit of an airhead and easily exploited same with Marilyn Monroe. Dean was more intelligent and savvy. He was the hustler and exploiting the sugar daddies for his benefit and moving onto the next.

by Anonymousreply 258July 10, 2021 1:38 AM

Was Dean into drugs?

by Anonymousreply 259July 10, 2021 1:47 AM

R255 Quite the insult with your single digit IQ, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 260July 10, 2021 7:19 AM

Yes, I think Dean would have moved on to directing films in the 60's.....

by Anonymousreply 261July 10, 2021 2:38 PM

So many people have enjoyed Jimmy Dean's sausage!

by Anonymousreply 262July 10, 2021 2:41 PM

He was ugly. Johnny Depp was way hotter and became a bigger star.

by Anonymousreply 263July 10, 2021 3:04 PM

I can't quite picture Dean doing stuff like cynical cash-grabs like Pirates of The Caribbean or Willy Wonka. But then again Johnny did those to fund his drug addiction and alcohol habits.

by Anonymousreply 264July 10, 2021 3:08 PM

R260, you're pitiful. A sad excuse for a human being. And when it comes to stupidity you are the epitome of it.

by Anonymousreply 265July 10, 2021 4:59 PM

R265 Just shush, Janbot. No one needs to read your psychotic nonsensical rants.

by Anonymousreply 266July 10, 2021 8:32 PM

r264 Pirates 1 holds up as a damn good adventure movie with state of the art CGI that still holds up well enough today. It was like Shrek, every sequel made me wonder who asked for more of this shit?

by Anonymousreply 267July 10, 2021 9:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268July 11, 2021 1:21 AM

James Dean and Tab Hunter, born five months apart, were both hot young stars at Warner Bros. and had the same agent (Dick Clayton). One was clean-cut All-American, the other, not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269July 11, 2021 1:44 AM

Hunter didn't say in his memoir whether he fucked Dean. Wouldn't they have made a fun couple? More than Tab with creepy Anthony Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 270July 11, 2021 1:50 AM

I expect Dean would have been thoroughly bored by Tab.

by Anonymousreply 271July 11, 2021 1:55 AM

Dean was a poor farm boy from Indiana, abandoned by his asshole father, lost his doting mother at an early age, was molested by his minister who he trusted and became a hustler who sucked and fucked anyone to get ahead in the theatre and film world. Most of his supposed relationships were with powerful older men and his female relationships could have been bearding situations. He had a fucked up life and probably was still figuring out his sexuality. He pissed off a lot of established actors in Hollywood with his behavioral issues. So who knows how his career would have fared if he didn't stop alienating everyone?

by Anonymousreply 272July 11, 2021 2:01 AM

Op is Helen Keller

by Anonymousreply 273July 11, 2021 2:04 AM

R273 yes, yes, that comment was already made upthread.

by Anonymousreply 274July 11, 2021 3:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275July 12, 2021 3:41 AM

I wonder what state of decay his body is in right now.

by Anonymousreply 276July 12, 2021 4:03 AM

I've seen less attractive people than James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 277July 12, 2021 4:33 AM

ā€œ wonder what state of decay his body is in right now.ā€œ

The flesh is just a vessel , it rots . Jimmyā€™s soul is eternal

by Anonymousreply 278July 12, 2021 5:36 AM

Fun fact, James Dean was friends with Maila Nurmi (aka Vampira). When he died, the press attacked Maila and accused her of doing some type of witchcraft that resulted in Dean's death. Additionally, Maila refused to sell the rights to her character to ABC which angered network execs. As a result, The Vampira Show got cancelled despite being huge in the ratings. Typical misogyny of the 1950s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279July 14, 2021 1:36 PM

I always wondered about that. Why everyone was so into his looks. Same with James Franco, who portrayed him in a TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 280July 14, 2021 1:41 PM

[R279] Bullshit made up by crazy Maila Nurmi. Please produce a single press clipping in which she was accused of "witchcraft." Utter nonsense. And spare us your "misogyny" crap - women were far more revered in the 1950's than today, when femininity itself is vilified in favor of angry, hairy man-women who despise men and children.

by Anonymousreply 281July 14, 2021 3:39 PM

R281, autistic incel

by Anonymousreply 282July 14, 2021 3:48 PM

R203... Richard Davalos... talk about amazing looking. I just saw East of Eden and couldn't get over how perfect he was.

by Anonymousreply 283July 14, 2021 3:50 PM

I wonder if Jimmy banged Natalie Wood?

by Anonymousreply 284July 14, 2021 3:52 PM

Wasn't Natalie having a fling with Nick Ray during Rebel?

by Anonymousreply 285July 14, 2021 3:53 PM

[R282] Hirsute lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 286July 14, 2021 3:59 PM

R286, hates women. What a tard

by Anonymousreply 287July 14, 2021 4:12 PM

Anyone with a basic knowledge of history knows women weren't "revered" in the 1950s. If they were so revered then why weren't women in positions of political, economic and social power? The US is quite the puritanical country and even more so in the 1950s with all the Communist witch hunts and fears of racial integration and intermarriage. Maila already was pushing the boundaries by dressing in black in a skin-tight outfit that showed her cleavage and portraying an intelligent, liberated and funny female character in Vampira. James Dean was not a typical Hollywood star, he was a beatnik-hipster who hung out with other misfits. Though I agree that Maila exaggerated her friendship with Dean like many others have after his death and posthumous mega-stardom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288July 14, 2021 4:14 PM

R288 Just DLers talking out of their cunts, as they always do. None of it has to make any sense or have any basis in reality.

by Anonymousreply 289July 14, 2021 4:21 PM

"They Live By Night" directed by Nick Ray and starring Farley Granger and Cathy O'Donnell was sort of a prototype to Rebel Without A Cause. I wonder if Dean (and Brando and Clift) took influence from John Garfield. Because Garfield had that tough-yet-sensitive acting style and played angry working-class rebels but added a bit of nuance to it.

by Anonymousreply 290July 14, 2021 4:44 PM

[R288] Dumb, superficial pop culture analysis based on conventional wisdom and cliches.

by Anonymousreply 291July 14, 2021 4:51 PM

As of 2012, 26% of American women were on some kind of mental health medication for anxiety, depression and related problem. Wooo hooo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292July 14, 2021 4:58 PM

Dear Mr. Ed Wood:

I will appear in your film "Grave Robbers From Space" under the condition that I do NOT have to speak any of your puerile dialogue. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 293July 14, 2021 5:16 PM

He was photogenic, had a hit with east of eden but died suddenly in an intriguing, shocking way, he was the first teenage icon to do so, and kids went beserk. The medias built a legend around him. Only 3 movies! (false) Doomed love with Pier Angeli! (false) et c . He was sold by WB as the young hetro stud, whereas he as was gay as a pink flamingo, a tortured genious whereas he was merely a little broadway trick trying to hide his skankiness. He's so severely limited you kinda cringe thinking about him in BATTLE CRY or any part that would require to stand on 2 feet. he was 5"1 or something. unkempt and rather dumb by all accounts. He was NOTHING like Tab Hunter who will be forever punished for his beauty and his vulnerability. Many fraus on DL are actually part of his original stans . they see now that he was nothing much but he's become a symbol of their innocent, Eisenhower era delusional years and they hold on to that nostalgia. The postwar frau teenager trifecta = Dean/Monroe/Its-all-because-of-Yoko

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294July 14, 2021 7:58 PM

[quote] As of 2012, 26% of American women were on some kind of mental health medication for anxiety, depression and related problem.

good. That's what you get for killing babies

by Anonymousreply 295July 14, 2021 7:59 PM

[quote] I wonder if Jimmy banged Natalie Wood?

God forbid, lady resident frau of DL, he was much in love with Pier Angeli

by Anonymousreply 296July 14, 2021 8:04 PM

"Fraus" weren't the only ones enthralled by Dean though. Elvis Presley based a lot of his style off of Dean in Rebel Without A Cause and Marlon Brando in The Wild One. Brando, Dean and Elvis together inspired the greaser subculture of the 50s and 60s which later influenced late 70s-early 80s punk style. Dean was a style icon and many young actors were modeled after him.

by Anonymousreply 297July 14, 2021 8:06 PM

Jimmy Dean liked exotic, unusual women. His interest in Maila Nurmi stemmed from his mistaken belief that she WAS her character Vampira. He thought she was into the occult and satanic arts and he found that fascinating. He soon lost interest in her when he realized that she was just play acting, just acting as a tv character; she was not really in death and demons and all that stuff. He was pretty silly to think that "Vampira" was real.

by Anonymousreply 298July 14, 2021 8:28 PM

I think he was gay but was attached to strong women that reminded him of his dead mother who was said to be free-spirited and eccentric.

by Anonymousreply 299July 14, 2021 8:32 PM

R297...unfortunately

by Anonymousreply 300July 14, 2021 8:39 PM

guess who knocked Elvis off the charts ? a guy who was THAT attractive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301July 14, 2021 10:47 PM

Let's not get carried away about the significance of that.

by Anonymousreply 302July 14, 2021 10:58 PM

Shelley, the most significant thing about it was that Jack Warner was pissed that another company was making money off of one his stars, so he created Warner Bros. Records in response.

by Anonymousreply 303July 14, 2021 11:13 PM

R288 Maila Nurmi had a Finnish name and there is a mystery where she was born, either in Finland or Massachusetts. Anyway, at least her father was Finn. She lived a long life and died in 2008. Interesting detail, she had a child with Orson Welles but the child was given to adoption because Welles was married at the time.

by Anonymousreply 304July 14, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote] Wasn't Natalie having a fling with Nick Ray during Rebel?

If by "fling" you mean he put his dick quite deep inside her, yes, she was..as was she with dennis hopper, nick adams, most of the crew, the stuntmen, the extras, the guards on the lot, random customers of the Chateau marmont where they were rehearsing, and passers-by

by Anonymousreply 305July 15, 2021 12:20 AM

Tell us about the dick you've had, r305.

by Anonymousreply 306July 15, 2021 12:24 AM

resident frau triggered alert @ R306

by Anonymousreply 307July 15, 2021 12:26 AM

It's funny how Maila was pissed off at Cassandra Peterson for her Elvira character. Claiming that Cassandra ripped her off. Cassandra obviously was playing homage to Vampira but she added her own distinct personality by making Elvira a bubbly and sarcastic 80s California girl. And also Maila clearly based her Vampira character off of Morticia Addams from the Addams Family comic strips. I think Maila was bitter because The Vampira Show faced unfair backlash and her career faded shortly and she never got the chance to profit off the character the way Cassandra did with Elvira.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308July 15, 2021 12:27 AM

R305 is lying jealous queen

by Anonymousreply 309July 15, 2021 12:27 AM

Oh puh-lease, Natalie was a notorious whore, and she was fabulous because she OWNED it , unlike you hypocrites. When she was at graceland with Elvis and he wouldn't fuck her, she grabbed his bodyguard in the corridor , asked him "are you gay too" and fucked him on the spot, Elvis's mom threw her out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310July 15, 2021 12:32 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311July 15, 2021 12:33 AM

Every gal claimed to have been in love with James Dean. From Ursula Andress to Liz Sheridan. How much of it was true though?

by Anonymousreply 312July 15, 2021 12:37 AM

R312 nothing...at least Tab was honest. Natalie even said that Dean was fascinated by his own fake love story with Pier Angeli and would buy any gossip rag he could that was mentioning it

by Anonymousreply 313July 15, 2021 12:40 AM

James Dean never stalked a girl like he did with Brando and he never tried to kiss a girl during a screen test like he did with Paul Newman. He never had any tensions with a girl on set like he did with Rock Hudson or Dick Davalos. He seemed gay or at least a gay-leaning bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 314July 15, 2021 12:41 AM

R314 seemed gay ? he was a kept boy in NYC and a well known trick

by Anonymousreply 315July 15, 2021 12:42 AM

Even liz taylor said he was a virgin with women. Where do you fraus come from , another galaxy ?

by Anonymousreply 316July 15, 2021 12:43 AM

Link to Elizabeth quote?

by Anonymousreply 317July 15, 2021 12:44 AM

Not that attractive? I'd have hit it. And I would've asked Brando to come along for the ride. Sadly, Newman wouldn't have participated. But fuck me, he was gorgeous...and a genuinely lovely person it seems.

by Anonymousreply 318July 15, 2021 12:44 AM

James Dean was a bright student. For example, he placed 6th NATIONALLY in a high school forensics tournament.

His father didn't "abandon" him.

Dean, through acting, I believe, wanted to show reality---the same way fiction can give insights to real life.

There would have been no point to his portraying Holden Caulfield. Dean already had been Jim Stark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319July 15, 2021 12:45 AM

[quote] ...and a genuinely lovely person it seems.

WHAT??? DEAN??? He was a complete narcissist, a stalker, a mental cas and a bully to natalie wood. What are you even talking about ?

by Anonymousreply 320July 15, 2021 12:46 AM

Proof r320

by Anonymousreply 321July 15, 2021 12:48 AM

No, R320. Paul Newman. Brando would've been next in regard to likeability, followed lastly by Dean.

by Anonymousreply 322July 15, 2021 12:48 AM

Oh brando is "likeable " now ? ...okay

by Anonymousreply 323July 15, 2021 12:51 AM

Was his hole loose from all the studio execs he presented hole to?

by Anonymousreply 324July 15, 2021 12:54 AM

James and natalie in "I am a fool", their first movie together (Natalie was on nose #1)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325July 15, 2021 12:55 AM

What was narcissistic about James Dean? He was difficult and moody but there's no reports of him being a bully or abusive to anyone. A lot of people spoke fondly of him like Nick Ray, Sal Mineo, Liz Taylor and they just said he was misunderstood and only acted out for attention but there was a still a method behind his insanity. He seems more emotionally stunted and neurotic than full-blown narcissistic. The fact he rejected a lot of the Hollywood lifestyle and preferred the company of a small few like-minded creative people shows he actually had more depth than most. There's even a letter he sent to Barbara Glenn where he complained about LA and how much he missed NYC.

by Anonymousreply 326July 15, 2021 12:56 AM

R324 he had to wear diapers because he couldn't hold his turds. it was in his contract

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327July 15, 2021 12:57 AM

R326 Carroll baker among others wrote in interviews how mean and vicious he was to Natalie because of her affair with his lover nick Ray and her celluloid princess status

by Anonymousreply 328July 15, 2021 12:59 AM

Dean had affairs with women; Pier Angeli, Ursula Andress, Dizzy Sheridan. And who gives a fuck what Liz Taylor had to say about him? She barely knew him.

by Anonymousreply 329July 15, 2021 1:00 AM

R329 you're ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 330July 15, 2021 1:01 AM

[quote] , he placed 6th NATIONALLY in a high school forensics tournament.

complete BS, he was a poor student, dumb as fuck, even Kazan said he had the IQ of a cat and directing him was like directing an animal. Tricks and treats

by Anonymousreply 331July 15, 2021 1:04 AM

We just know he wasn't straight. Maybe bisexual and he definitely loved dick and none of his girlfriends could have reigned him in.

by Anonymousreply 332July 15, 2021 1:06 AM

they "studio girlfriends" not real girlfriends; he was a prostatute for older men . EVERYBODY knows that. I'm okay with star gossip, but serious gossip, not frau stupidities like "dean was STRAIGHT I TELL YOU"

by Anonymousreply 333July 15, 2021 1:09 AM

R330, just because YOU want James Dean to be exclusively gay doesn't mean that he WAS. You're the ridiculous one. And R333, you sound unhinged, you poor dumb twat. The fact is that Dean DID have relationships with women. Dean, by all accounts (and by that I mean testimonies from people who actually knew him), was a "dabbler." He "dabbled" in many different things, and that included sexuality. He had sexual relationships with both sexes. but didn't seem like he wanted a committed relationship with either of them. He fucked around with men and women. Sorry if it bothers you that he wasn't exclusively into cock.

by Anonymousreply 334July 15, 2021 1:15 AM

ProstAtute? Really?

by Anonymousreply 335July 15, 2021 1:16 AM

James Dean had boyfriends like Rogers Bracketts (though he was a sugar daddy), Bill Bast and Jack Simmons. I'm sure he and Nick Ray had a thing too. The fact Jimmy tried so hard to contact Marlon Brando and Monty Clift makes it seem he wanted to be more than friends with them. It's rumored he and Brando had a sexual relationship and Brando dropped him like a hot potato. I'm sure he would have eventually fucked Sal Mineo who wanted his dick like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 336July 15, 2021 1:17 AM

R334 yes dear, and Santa DOES bring you presents because you're a good little gurl

by Anonymousreply 337July 15, 2021 1:19 AM

R335 is new here

by Anonymousreply 338July 15, 2021 1:22 AM

Keep believing that James Dean was into nothing but cock, R337, if it makes your life more bearable, you sad, silly twat.

by Anonymousreply 339July 15, 2021 1:24 AM

Liz Taylor, yeah I agree she may not be the most credible. But Nicholas Ray, Gavin Lambert and even Liz Sheridan said Dean was bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 340July 15, 2021 1:26 AM

R339 no no I see you hurting. Dean was straight honey. Sorry I lied . I don't know why I did that. Of course he was into women, lots and lots of women. I only said he was gay because I have a sad and lonely life, and I want everybody to be as miserable as I am.. he had tons of girlfriends, he loved them. he wanted to put his penis in them...all the time...

by Anonymousreply 341July 15, 2021 1:28 AM

And I think Dean would have opened up about his sexuality had he lived longer just like Sal Mineo and Farley Granger did. He probably become a director and still hook up with hot young guys.

by Anonymousreply 342July 15, 2021 1:29 AM

R341= unhinged right up the ass

by Anonymousreply 343July 15, 2021 1:30 AM

Jimmy was only 24 when he was killed.

He was "experimenting."

With cock up his ass. Frequently.

Just a phase.

by Anonymousreply 344July 15, 2021 1:37 AM

R323 Absolutely likeable. Loveable, even...though worse than the crime of rape in making "Last Tango In Paris", was the fact that he allowed himself to get enormous. I love him, nonetheless. There's a lot to admire.

by Anonymousreply 345July 15, 2021 3:12 AM

I don't think I've ever heard the word "likable" used to describe Marlon Brando. Nope, never heard THAT about him.

by Anonymousreply 346July 15, 2021 3:19 AM

Brando was a colossal asshole and not a good person

by Anonymousreply 347July 15, 2021 3:27 AM

R119 what am I then?

by Anonymousreply 348July 15, 2021 9:26 AM

Brando was a very arrogant, bitter, hateful and a fry person. There's tons of information about his sexually abusive nature. Just because he was talented and good-looking (though his looks peaked early) and took up social causes doesn't absolve him of that. His arrogance was part of his appeal when he was young though.

by Anonymousreply 349July 15, 2021 9:39 AM

*angry

by Anonymousreply 350July 15, 2021 10:44 AM

R331, STOP with the lies, you moron!

James Dean was a high school (Class of 1949) Indiana state champion in Dramatic Speaking, and 6th nationally. This is easily proven with documentation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351July 15, 2021 11:58 AM

R335, That's RIGHT! He was a PROSTITUTION WHORE!

by Anonymousreply 352July 15, 2021 12:20 PM

Janes Dean was smart. He managed to flee his bumfuck hometown. He was a pure hustler who took every opportunity that came his way even if it meant fucking and sucking every old fart. He survived NYC theatre and made a name in Hollywood despite his eccentricities. He was assertive and not going to end up used and abused.

by Anonymousreply 353July 15, 2021 12:46 PM

Mmmmm, Jane Dean was brilliant. So smart he stalked Brando and let him put out his cigarette butts all over his smelly lil body. Jeeeesasssss.

by Anonymousreply 354July 15, 2021 1:28 PM

The poster on this thread are the nadir of imbecility! dean was straight! brando was likeable! wood was a saint!

by Anonymousreply 355July 15, 2021 2:10 PM

[R304] Malia Nurmi was a pathological liar and I very much doubt she had a child with Orson Welles she "gave up for adoption." This reeks of bullshit. Orson Welles did however have a "love child" with Geraldine Fitzgerald, director Michael Lindsay-Hogg.

by Anonymousreply 356July 15, 2021 4:27 PM

There was a documentary about a child Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth gave up.

Unfortunately he was a shut-in aspie.

by Anonymousreply 357July 15, 2021 5:49 PM

[QUOTE] Orson Welles did however have a "love child" with Geraldine Fitzgerald,

everybody knows that's not true, this thread is a disaster

by Anonymousreply 358July 15, 2021 5:51 PM

Sorryā€¦ it was about Welles and Hayworthā€™s secret [italic]grandson.[/italic] Now Iā€™m confused.

PRODIGAL SONS (2008)

signed - r357

by Anonymousreply 359July 15, 2021 5:56 PM

Rita Hayworth is much more fascinating and more beautiful to me than Marilyn Monroe. She had a tragic life too. I guess because she lived to an old age that's why she didn't enjoy the same legacy as MM.

by Anonymousreply 360July 15, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote] Every gal claimed to have been in love with James Dean. From Ursula Andress to Liz Sheridan. How much of it was true though?

He died and became a world-famous icon. They attached themselves to his image and exaggerated whatever flings they had. I'm not saying they didn't have relationships with him but I doubt they were as romantic and ideal as they say. Dean obviously liked dudes more and I bet he would have settled with down a male partner as he grew older. Most bisexuals have a heavy preference for one sex over the other.

by Anonymousreply 361July 15, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote]r360 Rita Hayworth is much more fascinating and more beautiful to me than Marilyn Monroe. She had a tragic life too. I guess because she lived to an old age that's why she didn't enjoy the same legacy as MM.

The problem with Hayworth for me is that while she was a superb dancer, her acting is quite leaden and boring (GILDA aside.)

She just doesnā€™t hold my attention for very long when sheā€™s not dancing.

by Anonymousreply 362July 15, 2021 7:02 PM

Rita was great in Gilda and The Lady of Shanghai. Marilyn is not a better actress, singer or dancer than Rita but I think Marilyn is more charismatic and tongue-in-cheek which made her more endearing.

by Anonymousreply 363July 15, 2021 7:04 PM

Well, Marilyn was certainly a better singer - wasnā€™t Hayworth always dubbed?

And MM gave very free performances in Bus Stop and Some Like It Hot that Hayworth NEVER could have approximated.

by Anonymousreply 364July 15, 2021 7:17 PM

I don't think Marilyn was a good actress but she was charming and pulled off a good combo of cute yet sexy and had her comical moments. She wasn't a good singer but was distinctive and could carry a tune. Her confidence in front of the camera is really what helped her which is ironic given how deeply insecure she was off camera.

by Anonymousreply 365July 15, 2021 7:33 PM

I think what made MMā€™s persona/life so interesting is she was very contradictory, and even if people donā€™t pick up on that, it creates tension. She was dumb but intelligent, brashly sexy but somehow innocent, sometimes elegant but sometimes coarse, inept yet talented, a heralded star yet a waif, ā€¦ thereā€™s just a lot going on with her.

Thatā€™s compelling.

by Anonymousreply 366July 15, 2021 8:12 PM

Ritra was rather wooden, she had class, couldn't sing, was an ok dancer, lots of charm , charisma and star wattage. Marylin was an extraordinary actress, she started from very low and worked herself to incredible heights. She was a terrific singer, she moved in a unique way, she understood the camera better than anyone and what R366 said

by Anonymousreply 367July 15, 2021 8:15 PM

and it's marilyn of course

by Anonymousreply 368July 15, 2021 8:16 PM

[quote]r367 Rita was rather wooden, she had class, couldnā€™t sing, was an okay dancerā€¦

Now JUST ONE MINUTE, young lady!

Iā€™m not gaga for Hayworth, but she was much, much more than ā€œan okayā€ dancer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369July 15, 2021 8:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370July 15, 2021 9:04 PM

Dean with Perry Lopez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371July 15, 2021 9:16 PM

With his fuck buddy roommate Jack Simmons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372July 15, 2021 9:20 PM

[R358] It is absolutely true, smartass. From Wiki: "In his 2011 autobiography Lindsay-Hogg reported that his questions were resolved by his mother's close friend Gloria Vanderbilt, who wrote that Fitzgerald had told her that Welles was his father."

by Anonymousreply 373July 15, 2021 9:29 PM

Or do you know better than Michael Lindsay-Hogg who his own father is?

by Anonymousreply 374July 15, 2021 9:30 PM

fitzerald denied it, it's completely fake moron just go away you dirty frau

by Anonymousreply 375July 15, 2021 9:56 PM

the foul stench of pussy in this thread is suffocating

by Anonymousreply 376July 15, 2021 10:03 PM

Little homosexual boys - -

by Anonymousreply 377July 15, 2021 11:42 PM

Dean had to butch it up when he started appearing in movies and studios even hired beards for him. He was much more androgynous and flamboyant in those television plays he did in the early 50s.

by Anonymousreply 378July 16, 2021 12:48 AM

Dean was a nerdy effeminate theatre kid at heart. He tried to fit into traditional masculinity like playing sports and joining a fraternity but that didn't work out. His true passion was the arts. You can see his effeminancy in the way he hugs his dad so openly and how uncomfortable, disapproving and embarrassed his father looks. Jimmy probably felt like an outsider in his small town and that's where the pastor supposedly was able to get to him and sexually groom him. That didn't make Dean "sexually confused", the predator recognized that Jimmy was different and had a troubled background that's how he was able to prey on him. Dean got connected with a sugar daddy when he started attending UCLA and that sugar daddy sent him to NYC to study acting. He was a typical theatre twink and was having the time of his life during that period. Then when he got to Hollywood, he had to start appearing heterosexual to be marketable and that tough guy image was projected onto him. He always a natural androgyny and that's why his performances were surprising despite his rugged look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379July 16, 2021 1:13 AM

[R375] You're a flop!

by Anonymousreply 380July 16, 2021 4:04 PM

I've never thought Dean was attractive either. Marlon Brando has always been more my bagā€”in his prime, he was the hottest Golden Age movie star IMO. I can't think of any of his peers who had more natural sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 381July 17, 2021 6:36 AM

No fucking way, cooze. Brando was hottest when he had a 200 inch waistline.

by Anonymousreply 382July 17, 2021 1:53 PM

Dean was undeniably handsome. But I guess there are people who, for whatever reason, don't see it. But the fact is that he was. Why do you think there are so many iconic photos of him? He had an incredible face.

by Anonymousreply 383July 17, 2021 7:33 PM

Not just his face but his attitude. He had this defiance to him. Messy hair, nervous energy, not afraid to show emotion and disgust, a lot of improvisation, etc. He wasn't a passive model.

by Anonymousreply 384July 20, 2021 5:37 AM

R379, jimmy was hugging his dad tightly because his father essentially abandoned him after his mom died . Jimmy was the townā€™s favorite son in Indiana . He thrived there.

by Anonymousreply 385July 20, 2021 5:40 AM

I think Jimmy was bi.

by Anonymousreply 386July 20, 2021 5:42 AM

So what about Eartha Kittā€™s tales about her threesomes with Jimmy and Paul Newman?

by Anonymousreply 387July 20, 2021 5:55 PM

If Eartha Kitt said she had a threesome with James Dean and Paul Newman I would say she is full of shit. Totally full of it.

by Anonymousreply 388July 20, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote] If Eartha Kitt said she had a threesome with James Dean and Paul Newman I would say she is full of shit. Totally full of it.

Maybe Eartha considered watching them fuck around and pleasuring herself to be a form of participation.

by Anonymousreply 389July 20, 2021 8:52 PM

I bet he had a big hairy dick

by Anonymousreply 390July 20, 2021 10:03 PM

Nick Adams was another boyfriend of James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 391July 20, 2021 10:13 PM

lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392July 20, 2021 11:00 PM

Benicio Del Toro kind of looks like the Spanish version of James Dean but not as good-looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393July 21, 2021 1:41 AM

80s Spanish cult actor Jose Luis Manzano bore a resemblance to James Dean. He was also famous for playing a lot of trouble dangerous youths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394July 21, 2021 9:03 PM

[quote]I bet he had a big hairy dick

There was some guy that wrote a book that said he tried to fuck him but couldnā€™t because Jamesā€™ dick was too big and it hurt.

by Anonymousreply 395July 22, 2021 6:34 AM

So we know Dean topped. That's hot. I wonder if Brando bottomed.

by Anonymousreply 396July 22, 2021 8:30 AM

[quote]I wonder if Brando bottomed.

bossy power bottom vibes

by Anonymousreply 397July 22, 2021 11:19 PM

R395, William Bast?

by Anonymousreply 398July 29, 2021 2:42 AM

R398 Yeah, that was the guy!

by Anonymousreply 399July 29, 2021 7:42 AM

R398 it was John Gilmore whose book was mentioned up thread.

Laid Bare is the title.

by Anonymousreply 400July 29, 2021 2:12 PM

R94: "Yeah, Boomers are talking about them relics of 100 years ago. I'll be so happy when all the Boomers are dead."

ā€”Anonymous reply 94

Oh, how precious. You actually think you have a future!

by Anonymousreply 401July 29, 2021 2:49 PM

R401 Silly Boomer. Believes every lie they told her. Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 402July 29, 2021 9:08 PM

R402, Silly twerp. What a piece of shit. Retarded douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 403July 30, 2021 1:23 AM

And another interesting thread goes south.....

by Anonymousreply 404July 30, 2021 1:19 PM

R403 What a fucking moron. A brain dead tard could come up with better insults. Fucking stupid twat.

by Anonymousreply 405July 30, 2021 2:46 PM

"Better insults?" It's that retarded troll at R405 again. Poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 406July 30, 2021 8:37 PM

It's a shame there aren't some good nudes of Jimmy D and Marlon B (young)

by Anonymousreply 407July 31, 2021 8:35 AM

R406 Janbot and her psychopathic rantings as always. No one missed you, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 408July 31, 2021 11:00 AM

He would have moved towards direction or maybe retired early. I can see him continuing his passion for music or writing. I don't think he liked Hollywood and he struggled to fit in there.

by Anonymousreply 409August 2, 2021 7:24 AM

R314

What about his screen test with Lois Smith? They had nice chemistry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410August 24, 2021 8:56 AM

What was he 5 feet tall?

by Anonymousreply 411August 24, 2021 8:58 AM

R314

ā€œJames Dean never stalked a girl like he did with Brando and he never tried to kiss a girl during a screen test like he did with Paul Newman.ā€

He passionately kissed Paulā€™s wife Joanne Woodward in this screen test.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412August 24, 2021 8:59 AM

JD had a great pompadour. That's it, nuthin' else.

by Anonymousreply 413August 24, 2021 9:03 AM

R326

You mentioned Barbara Glenn. While people still question Deanā€™s relationships with women like Pier Angeli and Ursula Andress, his relationship with Glenn was definitely real. Iā€™ve read many of the letters he wrote to her, equal parts sad and amusing. They were introduced to each other by their mutual friend Martin Landau and dated for two years, often breaking up and getting back together. Her son recently gave an interview about their relationship and called Dean the love of his motherā€™s life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414August 24, 2021 9:07 AM

Dearest Barbara

I donā€™t like it here. I donā€™t like people here. I like it home (N.Y.) and I like you and I want to see you. Must I always be miserable? I try so hard to make people reject me. Why? I donā€™t want to write this letter. It would be better to remain silent. ā€œWow! Am I fucked upā€

Got here on a Thurs. went to the desert on Sat., weeks latter to San Francisco. I DONT KNOW WHERE I AM. Rented a car for 2 weeks it cost me $138.00. I WANT TO DIE. I have told [Redacted] and 5 others like her to kiss my ass and what stench, spineless, stupid prostitutes they were. I HAVENT BEEN TO BED WITH NO BODY. And wonā€™t untill after the picture and I am home safe in N.Y.C. (snuggly little town that it is) sounds unbelievable but itā€™s the truth I swear. So hold everything, stop breathing, stop the town all of N.Y.C. untill (should have trumpets here) James Dean returns.

Wow! Am I fucked up. I got no motorcycle I got no girl. HONEY, shit writting in capitals doesnā€™t seem to help either. Havenā€™t found a place to live yet, still living with my fatherā€”HONEY. Kazan sent me out here to get a tan. Havenā€™t seen the sun yet. (fog & smog) Wanted me healthy looking. I look like a prune. Donā€™t run away from home at too early an age or youā€™ll half to take vitamins the rest of your life. Wish you cooked. Iā€™ll be home soon. Write me please. Iā€™m sad most of the time. Awful lonely too isnā€™t it. (I hope youre dying) BECAUSE I AM.

Love.

Jim {Brando Clift} Dean

My address is (fathers that is) is 1667 So. Bundy Drive L.A. 25, Calif.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415August 24, 2021 9:16 AM

R49

I recommend watching his television work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416August 24, 2021 9:22 AM

I disagree with the original post. The ā€œheartthrobsā€ of today have nothing on James Dean. Heā€™s a timeless icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417August 24, 2021 9:28 AM

From Wikipedia:

Dean had an affair with actress Geraldine Page during the production of The Immoralist.[63] Angelica Page said of their relationship, "According to my mother, their affair went on for three-and-a-half months. In many ways my mother never really got over Jimmy. It was not unusual for me to go to her dressing room through the years, obviously many years after Dean was gone, and find pictures of him taped up on her mirror. My mother never forgot about Jimmy -- never. I believe they were artistic soul mates."[64] Page remained friends with Dean until his death and kept several personal mementos from the playā€”including two drawings by him.[65]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418August 24, 2021 9:37 AM

James Dean Risque "Be My Valentine" Sketch. A wide-eyed male, in supine position, with "Be my Valentine" proclaimed on his buttocks. Valentine's Day, 1954 arrived six days after The Immoralist opened on Broadway and Dean was undoubtedly still in high spirits over his reviews -- and still devoted to Geraldine Page, who received this risque offering. Blue ink on white paper, 3" x 5", and in Excellent condition. From the James Dean Museum archive. With COA from David Loehr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419August 24, 2021 9:40 AM

James Dean Arrow Through Woman Sketch. Perhaps another Valentine's Day, 1954, offering from James Dean to Geraldine Page: a woman with an upside-down heart-shaped fanny, pierced by Cupid's arrow. Blue ink on white paper, 3" x 5", with slight staining to right of picture, otherwise in Very Fine condition. From the James Dean Museum archive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420August 24, 2021 9:40 AM

Do you think he had a hairy ass or a smooth one? I'm sure his hole was hairy.

by Anonymousreply 421August 24, 2021 6:02 PM

Was he decapitated or broken neck?

by Anonymousreply 422August 24, 2021 6:17 PM

Considering how horrible his acting was, I like to always think his head was decapitated then run over and squished by a huge semi.

by Anonymousreply 423August 24, 2021 7:09 PM

R423 sounds really retarded. At any rate, James Dean died of a broken neck and severe internal injuries due to being in a car accident that was not his fault.

by Anonymousreply 424August 24, 2021 9:10 PM

R424 of course it was his fault, you stupid fuck. Did anyone force him to drive such a dangerous car?

by Anonymousreply 425August 24, 2021 9:23 PM

James Dean appeared to be a gay-leaning bisexual. Bisexuals are rarely 50-50 they are more like 80-20. He fucked and dated some women but he clearly preferred men sexually and romantically and I'm sure he would have taken on the gay identity in the 1960s just like other bisexual like Farley Granger did. He was a effeminate theatre geek who had to butch up his mannerisms for Hollywood and did some bearding relationships just like Rock Hudson did. Most 100% straight men would not have lived with older men just for a Hollywood career and Dean surrounded himself with other gay or bisexual identified men and fag hags. He had close relationships with women but they weren't necessarily sexual.

by Anonymousreply 426August 24, 2021 9:38 PM

Like Alain Delon

by Anonymousreply 427August 24, 2021 9:40 PM

R410

Dean had sexual chemistry with Paul Newman, Sal Mineo and Richard Davalos who he straight up was flirting with in screen tests. He was obsessed with Marlon Brando and Montgomery Clift, stalked them and took their last names as one of his aliases. He seems shy and reserved around Lois in their screen test. In fact, most of his photos and clips of him with women, he comes across more platonic like a little brother to them. While in photos with men, he is free and affectionate. Dean vastly preferred men and was a known ho and it's ridiculous to claim otherwise. He would have moved onto directing and took in younger boyfriends like Sal Mineo did.

by Anonymousreply 428August 24, 2021 10:42 PM

I find Nick Adams more interesting than JD. There should be a biopic about his life. I saw the house in which he died.

by Anonymousreply 429August 24, 2021 11:03 PM

Adams was "roommates" with Dean:

"Hollywood rumor had it that, since big things come in small packages. Adams was a successful hustler while he and his roommate, James Dean were trying to break into acting. (In some versions of the story, it was actually Dean himself out hustling as well.)"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430August 24, 2021 11:54 PM

Should James have won either of his two Oscar nominations DL experts?

by Anonymousreply 431August 25, 2021 6:47 PM

R428 He had sexual chemistry with Geraldine Page who said he wasnā€™t gay.

Angelica discovered some notes about her motherā€™s relationship with Dean.

ā€œShe usually wrote with a brown [felt-tip] pen,ā€ Angelica says. ā€œBut there is one page, all in red ink, that says, ā€˜People like to say that Jimmy was gay. Jimmy was not gay. At least not while I was around. I donā€™t think we slept once in those two weeks before Jimmy went off to Hollywood.ā€™ā€‰ā€

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432August 25, 2021 6:49 PM

R28 He looks close to her in many photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433August 25, 2021 6:50 PM

R28 Another photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434August 25, 2021 6:51 PM

R28 One more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435August 25, 2021 6:53 PM

R26 Dean had an active sexual relationship with starlet/escort Lili Kardell in the last months of his life. Sheā€™s on the left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436August 25, 2021 6:55 PM

I mean sheā€™s the woman on the right.**

by Anonymousreply 437August 25, 2021 6:56 PM

I would also say he had a lot of chemistry with Elizabeth Taylor that comes across in photos. She referred to him as gay at the GLAAD awards but she also said this when questioned about his sexuality in 1997:

KEVIN SESSUMS: Part of the poetry of your AIDS service, to me, is an allusion to your performance in A Place in the Sun. It's as if all of us gay men, all of those living with AIDS, are Monty Clift and you're turning to us in close-up and saying, "Tell Mama. Tell Mama all about it."

ELIZABETH TAYLOR: Mmmmm ā€¦ yes. "Tell Mama all ā€¦ "

KEVIN SESSUMS: James Dean?

ELIZABETH TAYLOR: I loved Jimmy, too. We used to sit up and talk and talk.

KEVIN SESSUMS: There's been this postmortem debate about whether he was gay or not. What do you think?

ELIZABETH TAYLOR: He hadn't made up his mind. He was only 24 when he died. But he was certainly fascinated by women. He flirted around. He and I ā€¦ twinkled.

KEVIN SESSUMS: Better be carefulā€”sounds like water sports.

ELIZABETH TAYLOR: Oh God! We had a ā€¦ well ā€¦ a ā€¦ little twinkle for each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438August 25, 2021 7:05 PM

See here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439August 25, 2021 7:06 PM

Another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440August 25, 2021 7:07 PM

One more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441August 25, 2021 7:07 PM

I love these photos of him and Eartha Kitt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442August 25, 2021 7:10 PM

Jeez, the fangirls really cannot accept the fact that James Dean could have been gay or a bisexual with a homosexual preference. Gay men don't hate women, we can laugh, talk and have fun with them.

by Anonymousreply 443August 25, 2021 7:15 PM

R443 For the record I donā€™t think Dean was straight, I think he was bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 444August 25, 2021 7:19 PM

Are these pics meant to prove James had sexual chemistry with women?

The pic at R434 looks like he's with his mother.

by Anonymousreply 445August 25, 2021 7:30 PM

R445 Do you make these kind of drawings for your mother?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446August 25, 2021 7:34 PM

Barbara Glenn said the glue that held their relationship was sex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447August 25, 2021 7:37 PM

R431 I think he shouldā€™ve won for East of Eden and Giant if he had been placed in Best Supporting Actor.

R423 You havenā€™t watched his television performances and it shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448August 25, 2021 7:59 PM

@418 and @432 - I think Angelica (Pageā€™s daughter) lied about that affair in recent years. Why? Could be many reasons, but my reason for thinking this is this quote from 1995: ā€œ There may have been some sexual energy there," says Page's daughter, actress Angelica Torn. "But I think he respected her too much to sleep with her.ā€ The link is below. Why would she hide the affair back then and just now reveal they did have one? And then her mother supposedly says that they didnā€™t sleep for two weeks before he went west? Implying that all they did was fuck for two weeks. Jimmy didnā€™t have that much interest in sex to fuck for that long, that consistently based off everything Iā€™ve read about him. He wasnā€™t that sexual a person, he was both bisexual and asexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449February 11, 2022 12:28 AM

*Reposting because I didnā€™t tag correctly*

[R418] and [R432] - I think Angelica (Pageā€™s daughter) lied about that affair in recent years. Why? Could be many reasons, but my reason for thinking this is this quote from 1995:

ā€œThere may have been some sexual energy there," says Page's daughter, actress Angelica Torn. "But I think he respected her too much to sleep with her.ā€

The link is below. Why would she hide the affair back then and just now reveal they did have one? And then her mother supposedly says that they didnā€™t sleep for two weeks before he went west? Implying that all they did was fuck for two weeks. Jimmy didnā€™t have that much interest in sex to fuck for that long, that consistently based off everything Iā€™ve read about him. He wasnā€™t that sexual a person, he was both bisexual and asexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450February 11, 2022 12:32 AM

Itā€™s just weird because she clearly states in one article that her mother told her the affair lasted three months. Both statements were after Geraldineā€™s death, so itā€™s not like she was mistaken about anything. I donā€™t think it happened. I think he was bi but didnā€™t have great sexual interest in women, certainly not enough to have this supposed intense fuckathon. It smacks against stories from people like Caroll Baker who concluded that Jimmy was gay or asexual when on the set of Giant he was strictly platonic with every woman.

by Anonymousreply 451February 11, 2022 12:38 AM

He was good looking , but imo, it's his effortless and ageless coolness that really stands out, He is the father of cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452February 11, 2022 12:41 AM

For me, I donā€™t think of him in terms of coolness, but rather have a kind of identification with him based on his own vulnerability/turmoil/paradoxical inner life. His humanity, not his image, is what fascinates me. I think heā€™s so relevant and compelling even more so today because his modern-feeling acting style (and lifestyle off screen) feels fresh because it foreshadowed our present inchoate, mercurial modes of identity today, more than even Brando (who I actually think is overrated).

by Anonymousreply 453February 11, 2022 12:49 AM

R451 Elizabeth Taylor said Dean flirted with her and was fascinated by women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454June 10, 2022 12:51 PM

R450 This book has other people who confirm the Dean and Page affair happened. And itā€™s written by a gay man who writes about Deanā€™s relationships with men as well so itā€™s not like itā€™s biased.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455June 10, 2022 12:56 PM

I think Dean very well couldā€™ve ended up with a man just like Farley Granger had he lived longer but I think his sexuality is more complex than people make it out to be. I know most people donā€™t believe in bisexuality, but he did have relationships with both men and women.

by Anonymousreply 456June 10, 2022 1:02 PM

James Dean was smokin' hot.

by Anonymousreply 457June 10, 2022 1:07 PM

R453. Well said. Dean is a timeless icon.

by Anonymousreply 458June 10, 2022 1:09 PM

Sad he didnā€™t get to star in more movies, but at least we have his television shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459June 10, 2022 1:25 PM

Like JFK and Selena, James died too early, and in doing so became a legend.

by Anonymousreply 460June 10, 2022 1:34 PM

[quote]soft body

Listen, Fassbender, not everyone can survive well on 4% body fat like you do.

by Anonymousreply 461June 10, 2022 11:36 PM

I just realized that he holds his head much like Lady Di- tilted down, eyes up. And I think he would have looked like Dean Stockwell when he got older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462June 11, 2022 1:48 PM

There's a big difference between being beautiful and being sexy. Beautiful people can be passive, dull and boring. Often never developing a personality of their own and seeking constant attention and validation. They may be pleasing to the eye but they can get annoying real fast especially since they remind us of our flaws and lack of privileges. Now sexy people are dynamic, they are full of life, they are confident, assertive and take risks to get what they want. They make others feel good and are fun to be around. They may not be classically beautiful but their confidence and sexual energy makes up for it. It's very easy for people to mix the two terms with each other. James Dean may have looked awkward at times but he had the sexy factor done with his squinting and posing and overall confidence and lack of modesty.

by Anonymousreply 463July 10, 2022 4:42 PM

[quote]The REAL problem was, James Dean really wasn't a GOOD actor.

He was a good OVERactor.

by Anonymousreply 464July 10, 2022 4:51 PM

He was obviously young looking but he also has 'distinguished' characteristics, including some lines on his face and the receding hairline at the temples. I think that both youthful "pretty" features and some aged features are both commonly seen as attractive in a man. Aaron Spellings seems to have split the difference in casting Jason Priestley and Luke Perry in 90210. If they could be spliced together, they'd add up to James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 465July 10, 2022 4:55 PM

R464 He was capable of giving more naturalistic performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466July 10, 2022 5:24 PM

He was better in East of Eden, the TV specials and the teleplays than Rebel Without A Cause.

by Anonymousreply 467July 10, 2022 5:26 PM

Elvis and Marilyn both got movies made about them this year. I would like to see James get the same treatment soon, heā€™s yet to have a truly good movie made about him. He lived a lot in just 24 years and was very ahead of his time.

by Anonymousreply 468July 10, 2022 5:27 PM

R467 I also think heā€™s better in Giant than Rebel Without a Cause.

by Anonymousreply 469July 10, 2022 5:28 PM

What's up with all the fangurls in this thread? Usually DL is smarter about the overrated tragic middling talents JD and MM. Monty Clift was ten times the actor (and looker) Dean was...

by Anonymousreply 470July 10, 2022 5:29 PM

Youā€™re not overrated when your wardrobe tests are more compelling than most contemporary actorā€™s filmographies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471July 10, 2022 5:31 PM

"Kiss me."

"Can't here."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472July 10, 2022 5:35 PM

I'm not convinced the gays here have better taste than teen fangirls. Judging from all the pop star threads. And it was gay men who helped keep the Marilyn and James Dean myth alive. I agree Monty had more talent.

by Anonymousreply 473July 10, 2022 7:14 PM

R465 Jason Priestley was very hot. He channeled James Dean a lot and even got jeans ads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474July 10, 2022 9:33 PM

Another James Dean clone that Jason Priestley played was Teen Angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475July 10, 2022 9:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!