Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mark Wahlberg's atonement flick, 'Joe Bell'

I don't what repulses me the most; the trite overdone story line, the alien-faced vocal-fry gay son, or "Poke your eye out" Wahlberg's unkempt faux-working class schtick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 16, 2022 1:28 AM

Maybe you prefer a film about scat since you're always bumping scat threads

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2021 6:13 PM

Mark is gross and a vile homophobe. His movies are shit.

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2021 6:18 PM

Does one assume that Mark offered up his muscle boy hole to Calvin for the gig that put his half naked bod in front of all our eyes?

One does.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2021 6:27 PM

The poster is a spoiler. Hiking in the middle of a highway is a bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2021 6:27 PM

OP must be one of the fat bullies who tormented the gay son in real life.

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2021 9:15 PM

Maybe, R1, you're a deranged paranoid fucktwit who is confusing me, OP, with someone else, since you, R1, are a shit-licking cunt yourself.

R5 is one of the fat bullies who shat on R1. R5 still jacks off to old Marky Mark videos...on VHS!

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2021 9:39 PM

The case against Boreback Mountme grows stronger every day. What the hell were you thinking by not protesting the shit out of that movie?

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2021 9:40 PM

I'd have watched it twice if Ricky Schroder were in Marky Mark's place.

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2021 9:40 PM

OP types a bitter, resentful, fat, old cunt who stays on DL all hours to lash out at people who disagree with her. SAD life, innit?

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2021 11:16 PM

R9's a trollina de troll, who has nothing but cunt juice oozing from its arachnid glands.

R9 stews in anger, still too stupid to start his own thread.

R9, still butthurt when no one invited him to any Pride parties.

R9, still unvaxxinated.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2021 11:20 PM

More eloquence from R9, a sad Flyoverville nobody trollina...and clearly a psychotic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2021 11:22 PM

I just hate that young actor, totally miscast. He's not acting, he's oooh-SNAP-ing. You'd never reveal that to your macho dad with such flippancy.

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2021 11:39 PM

Now we know everything and everyone repulse you, even your own face. Now take your paranoid schizo meds and get some rest. 20 hours nonstop on DL is too extreme, we know.

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2021 11:55 PM

Now that we know you're a psychotic nutbag, R13, you can spiral off on your regular meth binge, hag. The only repulsive thing here is you.

Back to the film. They could have cast a son who at least slightly resembles a young Wahlberg. He could be an image and fitness-obsessed Insta-ho some of you adore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2021 3:54 AM

Well, he could have done another Transformers movie and yet he chose to do this. So, this is a nice surprise.

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2021 4:13 AM
by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2021 4:44 PM

He’d be better off sticking to popcorn movies.

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2021 4:49 PM

Is Mark still hawt in this film? That beard says "no".

by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2021 4:49 PM

He has come full circle I guess. I may watch it.

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2021 4:59 PM

hope this racist piece of shit dies

by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2021 5:06 PM

Isn't this the movie where he made it all about the father and the gay son was only secondary to that?

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2021 5:07 PM

I love it when straight people get together to make a movie with gay themes.

by Anonymousreply 22July 2, 2021 5:09 PM

Mr. Mark is bisexual, yes?

by Anonymousreply 23July 2, 2021 5:12 PM

Luv the scene where daddy Marky Marky kicks his gay son's eye out.

by Anonymousreply 24July 2, 2021 5:15 PM

The Vietnamese man has stated he was already blind.

This is stated in every thread on Mark Wahlberg but trolls pretend not to know it.

by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2021 6:50 PM

Was the Vietnamese man gay, too?

by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2021 7:29 PM

R17 well Infinite just came out.

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2021 11:57 AM

Just a reminder; this was the first thread on this shit film.

by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2021 12:38 AM

I can't stand Marky Mark, but he's not a bad actor, and the movie actually looks worthwhile. Conflicted.

by Anonymousreply 29July 9, 2021 12:44 AM

Mark Wahlberg may be the headliner in this poorly conceived melodrama, but it is 21-year-old Reid Miller who shines through as the real star. Based on a true story, which has been disappointedly adapted for the screen by Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana (Brokeback Mountain) this is a gay drama made specifically for straight eyes.

It is the story of Joe Bell, who failed to accept his gay teenage son Jadin. He cared much more about how Jadin’s sexuality would affect the family’s standing in the community than about the struggle that his son was dealing with on his own. When Jadin was severely bullied at school and the Principal claimed she could do nothing to help the situation, his father sat by on the sidelines. It wasn’t until a distraught Jadin took his own life, that his father started to finally react.

He suddenly selfishly claimed the moral high ground, refusing to accept that either Jadin’s mother (Connie Britton) or brother could possibly be grieving as much as him. As it had always been Jadin’s dream to move to NY, he decided to walk all the way there from their home in La Grande, Oregon, and talk to anyone and everyone en route about the tragic consequences of bullying.

Even though Jadin’s character is written as a cliched queer youth whose life centers around Lady Gaga (who else!) Miller’s performance is the real redeeming feature of the film. On the other hand, it is difficult to watch Wahlberg (also the Producer) in this role considering his own very public reputation for bullying. He is also known for turning down Ang Lee’s offer of a part in Brokeback Mountain because he claimed it was ‘too creepy”.

If Wahlberg considered this film a call for his own redemption, then sadly this rather heavy-handed and muddled annoying drama did not achieve its aim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2021 12:45 AM

Just scour Tik-Tok for someone who looked like the asshole in his undie-dropping prime, and have him take every dick in the room.

by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2021 1:45 AM

#MarkforBestActor2021

#OscarforWahlberg

#MarkyMarkAcademyAward

by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2021 1:51 AM

#DelusionalR32

#StraightWorshipR32

by Anonymousreply 33July 9, 2021 2:02 AM

This will be an Oscar bait fail. After this Wahlberg will probably shop around for some other potential Oscar bait movie where he plays a physically disabled person or a parent of disabled child.

by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2021 3:18 AM

Please, you bitches know if there were shots of him in his undies or his butt, you would be streaming this in a heartbeat.

You'd all let him fuck you if given the chance.

by Anonymousreply 35July 9, 2021 3:57 AM

R35 is why there is antigay violence.

by Anonymousreply 36July 9, 2021 4:12 AM

I think I would save this for watching on some lazy afternoon on cable, not paying money to go see in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 37July 9, 2021 4:34 AM

So, the blond gay kid dies?

Groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 38July 9, 2021 4:38 AM

He's an absolutely awful actor and an awful person. I don't buy Marky Mark is reformed or enlightened in anyway. He just got lucky that his brother Donnie was in a major boy band and Donnie pushed for Mark's "rap career" as a way to keep him out of jail. And that rap career beget the underwear modeling campaign and film roles.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2021 3:27 AM

John Schneider who is a Republican starred in a movie playing a parent who's son was a victim of a gay hate crime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2021 3:37 AM

He is dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2021 3:37 AM

I'll give it a watch. Why not?

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2021 5:44 AM

1989- Heathers- "I love my dead gay son."

2021- Joe Bell- "I love my dead gay son."

by Anonymousreply 43July 12, 2021 6:01 PM

Gary Sinise is in this too? I feel like they are both in on the joke. "Let's do a fag movie and try and get Oscars."

by Anonymousreply 44July 12, 2021 6:26 PM

The son would have gotten more dick than he could handle wearing that scarf to hillbilly school like that.

by Anonymousreply 45July 12, 2021 6:57 PM

R44 I thought the same thing when I saw Gary SInise in the trailer. I think Wahlberg probably did this for Oscar buzz, but the critics have panned it and I see it flopping at the box office.

I think some actors search around for certain based on a true story scripts in hopes of it being an Oscar buzz/bait movie. I suspected that Jake Gyllenhaal only did that Boston bombing survivor movie for Oscar buzz and same with Steve Carrell and Welcome to Marwen.

by Anonymousreply 46July 13, 2021 12:07 AM

[quote]The Vietnamese man has stated he was already blind.

He has also stated he was already Vietnamese. What difference does it make?

by Anonymousreply 47July 21, 2021 9:15 PM

R47 Being Vietnamese is a disability?

by Anonymousreply 48July 21, 2021 9:21 PM

Wahlberg is from Poland and the Catholic Church.

This is Wahlberg seeking re-entry into the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 49July 21, 2021 9:25 PM

Well, he's not seeking re-entry into Poland with this pro-LGBT+ crapfest.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2021 1:10 AM

"Hey, dog. How's it goin'?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2021 7:34 PM

Like the casting of Mel Gibson as a corrupt, racist cop in S. Craig Zahler’s “Dragged Across Concrete,” the choice to have Mark Wahlberg play Bell reflects the actor’s real experience. While he first became famous in 1991 for sub-Vanilla Ice rapping as the leader of Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch, he spent his teenage years committing hate crimes against Black and Asian people.

When he was 16, he beat a Vietnamese immigrant, Johnny Trinh, so badly that he believed he had blinded him in one eye, although Trinh has forgiven Wahlberg and says that his eye damage was sustained years before during the Vietnam War.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 23, 2021 11:44 PM

In many ways, the new film 'Joe Bell' is Hollywood do-goodism at its worst. We're to view homophobia through the angst of a guilt-ridden parent in a shallow lopsided perspective that winds up becoming an elongated PSA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2021 11:46 PM

Why does he keep getting hired? He is such an awful actor. Is he considered hot and quality stuff in the USA?

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2021 12:20 AM

Why does he keep getting hired? He gives good box-office.

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2021 3:04 AM

He gives good box-office.

He represents the Common American Male.

And the sophisticated Seth McFarlane chose him because he wanted good box-office.

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2021 3:40 AM

Like John Wayne he's predicable and you know what you're getting when you pay to see his movies.

He's the McDonalds of actors.

by Anonymousreply 57July 25, 2021 12:44 PM

Look, Wahlberg's young life may have been filled with terrible antics and ideologies, but it's entirely possible he's changed since he's matured. That doesn't mean he's perfect by any means, but to continually assume he's the same person he was when he was a teenager is ridiculous.

People do change. I've seen it too many times to know it's true.

by Anonymousreply 58July 25, 2021 1:00 PM

[quote]People do change.

Yes, they become worse.

by Anonymousreply 59July 25, 2021 1:12 PM

And you automatically assume Wahlberg has become worse? Based on what? If you have bona fide information to support your claim, state it. Otherwise, don't make silly assumptions.

by Anonymousreply 60July 25, 2021 1:34 PM

How about the fact he’s a known homophobic new Catholic who stomped on an Asian man blinding him in one eye? This guy would put his kids in “conversion therapy” in a heartbeat if they ever exhibited their own sexual feelings. He’s a piece of Boston shit. His brother is funny, decent to everyone he works with and does not judge anyone. I’ve been lucky to be around both. FUCK off marky mark short ugly asshole.

by Anonymousreply 61July 25, 2021 1:59 PM

R61 you have not the slightest idea what you're talking about. So you really do need to shut it. Yes, he attacked the Asian man MANY YEARS AGO IN HIS YOUTH. He DID NOT blind the man in one eye. The Asian man himself has confirmed multiple times he was already blind in that eye from long before his encounter with Wahlberg.

Don't pretend you know what he would do with any of his kids if they told him they were gay. You know NOTHING. You're just another reactionary queen who projects what he wants to be true as if it is. And that makes you look foolish.

Wahlberg may indeed still be homophobic. I don't know, and you certainly don't know. If he is he's certainly keeping it well hidden. If he was still a virulent homophobe, as you claim, I would find it unlikely he'd be interested in taking on the role of the loving father of a bullied gay son.

by Anonymousreply 62July 25, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote] I would find it unlikely he'd be interested in taking on the role of the loving father of a bullied gay son.

This is the only reason he did this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 25, 2021 10:57 PM

R62 = Mark Wahlberg, or is a homophobic straight bootlicker who excuses and defends homophobia to score brownie points from straight homophobic scum.

by Anonymousreply 64July 26, 2021 5:42 AM

R64 = deranged lunatic with obvious psychological issues and anger management issues, and who needs mental health treatment STAT.

by Anonymousreply 65July 26, 2021 9:57 AM

R65 why, because I told the truth? FUCK YOU SCUM.

by Anonymousreply 66July 26, 2021 10:10 AM

Review with SPOILER of the ending- -

-

-

-

-

- But woof, that ending. What an absolute dogsh*t of an ending. I don’t feel too bad about spoiling the final minutes here because it’s based on a true story that you can easily look up on Wikipedia. Joe Bell walks for six months, and after a conversation with a police officer (Gary Sinise) who picks him up and brings him back to the station for a meal, Joe returns to his tent and finally accepts his son for who he is. Or at least, that’s what the movie wants us to believe. Did he? Who knows? No one can actually ask Joe Bell what he was thinking that night because the movie abruptly ends after Joe is run over by an 18-wheeler and killed!

To be clear, Joe Bell is a film about a man who walks across the country to raise awareness about bullying who is run over and killed halfway to his destination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 26, 2021 10:56 AM

The film is not bad, but not that good, either. It has its moments, but with better editing and a stronger lead, it could have been better. Wahlberg has two acting settings—intense mugging and excited 12 year old. He’s better in this role than previous ones, but not by much. Sad because I really wanted to say I was really impressed.

by Anonymousreply 68July 26, 2021 11:12 AM

Clooney-sempai, notice me!!!!💓💓💓

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 26, 2021 11:58 AM

When straight people get together to make a gay themed movie it's always about getting awards and accolades. They don't give shits about us outside of using our lives to get themselves a pat on the back. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 70July 26, 2021 1:02 PM

Does Jadin at least get any sex in this movie?

by Anonymousreply 71July 26, 2021 1:22 PM

R71 He gets to make out with one of the jocks.

by Anonymousreply 72July 26, 2021 1:30 PM

How much of these people's lives were fictionalized by McMurty and his hag?

by Anonymousreply 73July 26, 2021 5:19 PM

So I guess that kid Reid Miller who plays Jadin Bell really is straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 16, 2022 1:07 AM

the trailer made me cry

by Anonymousreply 75January 16, 2022 1:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!