Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Francois Ozon's SUMMER OF 85

Far better than average gay coming-of-age film, and the boys are absolutely adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2021 1:46 AM

No one wants to watch films about eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 1June 27, 2021 12:17 AM

Not available in the US yet, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 2June 27, 2021 12:19 AM

No, it's opened in art houses. I saw it in a theater today.

by Anonymousreply 3June 27, 2021 12:24 AM

And R3, what did you think of it?

by Anonymousreply 4June 27, 2021 12:24 AM

It's first-rate. The acting is excellent, top to bottom. Benjamin Voisin as the seductive, devouring, 18-year-old narcissist is sensational.

by Anonymousreply 5June 27, 2021 12:56 AM

Another coming of age film?

We definitely haven't seen enough of those.

by Anonymousreply 6June 27, 2021 1:55 AM

It's an interesting movie. I adore Ozon, and I would not say this is one of greatest. But, like all his movies, it stays with you in spite of its flaws. And magical and unexpected use of Rod Stewart's "Sailing".

by Anonymousreply 7June 27, 2021 11:49 AM

I watched the film last night. I thought the first half of the movie was very good. The boys are charming and sexy, even if their character’s are particularly well developed or consistent. I thought the second half was a bit of a train wreck and barely made any sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 8June 27, 2021 12:00 PM

So is this the 80’s version of the movie Come undone?

by Anonymousreply 9June 27, 2021 12:06 PM

The filmmaker was going to call it Summer of '84, yet he really wanted to use The Cure's "In Between Days" in the film.

Robert Smith agreed to the use of the song in the film, only if he changed the title, since the song came out in '85.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2021 7:56 AM

r10

Wouldn't it also have been a problem that there already is a film called "Summer of 84" which came out not long ago?

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 6:16 PM

Not a gay movie but loved 8 Femmes (8 Women), by François Ozon. Perfect casting and a good script, great sets and costumes and there is some musical scenes. Here with English subtitles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 6:30 PM

^ A ksort of hollywood movies parody

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 6:37 PM

^^sort

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 6:37 PM

Terrible ending. Not a good film

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 7:00 PM

I loved his Criminal Lovers. It was a weird version of Hansel and Gretel. The witch the cottage was a man who Jeremie Renier ended up fucking.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 7:12 PM

Criminal Lovers was fantastic. Was it implied the guy had developed feelings for his captor at the end?

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2021 1:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!