Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Fincher's "The Game" (1997)

I am semi-surprised there hasn't been a thread devoted to this ridiculously implausible (albeit very fun and stylish) late-'90s thriller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2021 6:00 AM

This movie got so weird I never finished it.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2021 5:14 AM

It is very entertaining. Not even the presence of the obnoxious Sean Penn can ruin it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2021 5:18 AM

OMG r1, you should revisit it. The ending is what makes it amazing.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2021 5:18 AM

R1 you're missing out. It's logistically ridiculous, but it's a hell of a ride. The acting is pretty solid all around, too. There are a number of oddball cult figures who pop up in it as well (Linda Manz, Mark Boone Junior, Carroll Baker). It's one of my dad's favorite movies.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2021 5:19 AM

It falls into one of my least favorite thriller tropes.

Beginning “this is all just a game!” Middle: “wait, this isn’t a game!” End: “nah, it was a game the whole time”

Complete shaggy dog story. Even if there’s fun to be had, it’s a kind of BS get out of jail free to just say “none of this has to make any sense because it’s just a game”

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2021 5:25 AM

[quote]R4 There are a number of oddball cult figures who pop up in it as well (Linda Manz, Mark Boone Junior, Carroll Baker).

Yes, DL icon Carroll Baker in a tiny role… but at least she’s there!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2021 5:26 AM

I know "Se7en" is probably regarded as Fincher's best work from this period, but I find "The Game" to be a more fun watch, even if it's technically not the better film. Nonetheless, it's the only film in Fincher's filmography that has the Criterion stamp of approval aside from "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2021 5:30 AM

R6 poor Carroll. It really is a throwaway role (the MAID!?), but I'm always glad to see her in anything. I think this was the last major movie she did. I can't believe she turned 90 last month.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2021 5:33 AM

I love this (flawed) movie, and the female lead is fantastic.

The nagging quibble I have with the plot is Sean Penn initially sets his brother up with a highly emotional confession/breakdown where he falls apart and howls that this group is ruining his life. Well, most ordinary people are not that good at acting! Most people can’t even lie believably.

I don’t think I could fake a long, hysterical scene with one of my siblings where I’m crying and yelling and sweating. And if a drama queen like me can’t do it, neither can your average joe/jolene.

The Prosecution rests!

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2021 5:36 AM

I haven’t seen Deborah Unger since the end of the 90s. She’s the best thing about 2 Criterion films and needs a reassessment.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2021 5:44 AM

She is fabulous. Kind of a cross between Sharon Stone and Greta Scacchi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2021 5:46 AM

R10 I like Unger a lot too. She's great in this and "Crash". She has an unusual, elven quality; she looks (and kind of sounds) like Liv Tyler to me. She's had some roles since the '90s that were notable—she was in "Thirteen", and later appeared in a very creepy part in the "Silent Hill" film adaptation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2021 5:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2021 5:51 AM

It's a good thing the OP stole this idea for a thread from my post about Jefferson Airplane from the Jeffery Sanker thread.

Otherwise, he'd have no life!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2021 5:54 AM

R14 you must be joking

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2021 6:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!