Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Excellent movie-But not your cup of tea.

What film have you watched and thought it was excellent- maybe even a masterpiece, but at the end you just don’like?

Psycho- 1960

I think it is so well done. The few times I have watched it I have noticed how well built this movie is. But I am not afraid in the shower. I have always thought Janet Leigh was in more great movies than her talent deserved. Vera Miles isn’t as interesting as she is in Hitchcock’s ‘ The Wrong Man” with Fonda ( a very underrated film). I also think the look of film reminds me of an episode of “ Alfred Hitchcock Presents”.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2021 1:48 AM

Is "The Birds" supposed to be great? I've seen it a couple of times and I never need to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2021 10:25 PM

Goodfellas. I recognize that’s it’s a very well-made film, but I’ve never had any desire to rewatch it.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2021 10:26 PM

[quote] I also think the look of film reminds me of an episode of “ Alfred Hitchcock Presents”.

He used the photographer from his TV show for Psycho (who hadn't worked on big screen movies). He wanted to break from the big wide-screen colour movies.

The second half of Psycho is like a very routine, boring TV drama and those scenes with Simon Oakland are tedious exposition scenes. However the shower scene was a complicated set up as involved as his big movie set-ups. There's hardly any of the Hermann score in the second half.

The first half is brilliant; the second half humdrum.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2021 10:45 PM

Most of the movies of the classical golden age of Hollywood. I've watched a lot of them and I understand their value but I can always see through the acting. Few actors of that time period give performances that aren't outright histrionic (Cary Grant and Irene Dunne come to mind). My favourite movies of that era are the musicals, some silent films (Sunrise, Joan of Arc etc) and some of the pre-code films. Most of the dramas are painfully campy to me though, unless you're a Douglas Sirk, then you're deliciously campy.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2021 11:00 PM

[quote] Most of the movies of the classical golden age of Hollywood. I've watched a lot of them and I understand their value

They may have made some financial value to the producers but 60% of mainstream classical golden age Hollywood was mindless pap not worth a second thought.

We can rewatch their edited highlights but we have shorter attention-spans now.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2021 11:04 PM

Pretty much every great Kubrick movie. I can recognize why people think they're wonderful and appreciate the craft, but ultimately they will never have any appeal to me. I've tried at various points in my life, thinking maybe I needed a different perspective to finally appreciate them the way other people do, but eventually I accepted that it's never going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2021 11:09 PM

In the Bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2021 12:14 AM

Terms of Endearment -- everyone says it's excellent, therefore it must be, but blech.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2021 12:17 AM

L'Avventura - I appreciate it, but it's a tough slog. I even tried watching it in a theater a few years back because I thought it would make it more compelling, but it just made it seem longer.

In contrast, I love La Notte and L'Eclisse.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2021 12:59 AM

Call Me By Your Name.

I read about it and it sounds depressing.

I don't like dramatic, depressing movies.

Although, I LOVE the original Boys in the Band, which can seem dramatic and depressing.

And I also love Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2021 1:19 AM

boooooooring

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2021 1:20 AM

R19, the difference is that while Boys In The Band can seem dramatic and depressing, it's got the wittiest dialogue this side of All About Eve.

R6, could not agree more about every Kubrick film. I know they're "important" and technically great, but they just bore the shit out of me. Even a film "inspired" by Kubrick , (A.I.) could drive you to suicide.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2021 1:32 AM

Lord I can’t even remember the name of that black n white Christmas film with Jimmy Stewart & Santa Claus. Every Christmas my husband is baffled by stubborn refusal to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2021 1:32 AM

Shawshank Redemption. How is this movie so beloved? I would agree with Kubrick except for The Shining and Spartacus which are both great movies.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2021 1:40 AM

R12 this is R11. Beg to disagree. “Barry Lyndon” is slow and GREAT. “Paths to Glory” is just great. ‘The Shining’ is overrated, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2021 1:40 AM

Snakes On A Plane.

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2021 1:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!