Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who was the best ever Best Actress Oscar winner, by decade? 1970s edition

So we are moving swiftly along now, please share your thoughts and opinions on who was the most deserving Best Actress Oscar Winner of the 1970s.

Its a solid line up but who gets your vote as greatest stand-out?

Who was snubbed? Who should have been there? Who stood the test of time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 28, 2021 5:26 AM

I voted for Jane Fonda - Klute.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2021 5:30 PM

Jane Fonda in Klute stands the test of time.

Runner-up: Faye in Network (that performance was ahead of its time)

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2021 5:33 PM

I remember being awed by Faye's jiggly tits in Network as a young gay

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2021 5:34 PM

Alicia doesn't live here anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2021 5:35 PM

R4 damn sorry! You know what I mean..

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2021 5:38 PM

I recently re-watched Klute, having not seen it in decades; Fonda is terrific in parts, but there are times when it feels unreal, which is at odds with the intention.

I voted for Faye; unlike Klute, Network is an arch, OTT work and Faye is totally in tune with the material. She's dazzling, mesmerizing, jaw-dropping.

Honestly, the whole decade is a solid lineup of great performances; even the weakest in the list -- Glenda Jackson in A Touch of Class -- is a fine comedic performance, and much underrated today.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2021 5:38 PM

Agreed, r6--these are great performances to a one (though some of them would not have been personal choice that year, such as Jackson's second, Fonda's second, or Minnelli).

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2021 5:42 PM

Something I'm noticing about these lists is that these are almost all very good actresses who won for some of their lesser work.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2021 5:49 PM

I would have given the 1973 Oscar to Ellen B for The Exorcist then the 1974 Oscar to Gena Rowlands for A Women Under The Influence.

1978 is a really tight call between the amazing Ingrid Bergman for Autumn Sonata and an underappreciated Jill Clayburgh for An Unmarried Women. A deserved tie perhaps?

I'm still puzzled how Fonda won again over such strong competition so close to her first win.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2021 5:49 PM

Completely agree r9, I have to assume the votes were split in '78. Coming Home is fine but it's not Fonda's best by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2021 5:51 PM

Completely agree, r9. I'd give that Coming Home Oscar to Ingrid Bergman.for Autumn Sonata, personally, but Jill Clayburgh would also have been a fine winner.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2021 5:55 PM

Probably Jane in Klute is correct. Check out her performance in 'The Morning After' with Jeff Bridges which is on youtube and perhaps even better.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2021 5:59 PM

It's definitely the toughest decade to choose a best actress. I went with Fonda over Minnelli, Burstyn, and Dunaway. If Jill Clayburgh had won for An Unmarried Woman over Fonda in Coming Home, I'd likely have voted for her.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 6:02 PM

Minnelli's performance still feels fresh and dazzling. It's a shame that nothing she did on film ever compared. On stage, she'd knock 'em dead every night, but she never really had another film performance that captivated audiences the way her Sally Bowles did.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2021 6:06 PM

R14, I'd argue that her Pookie Adams in The Sterile Cuckoo is a close second.

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2021 6:08 PM

So far the decade leaders are:

1930s: Vivien Leigh

1940s: Joan Crawford

1950s: Vivien Leigh

1960s: Liz Taylor

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2021 7:43 PM

Jackson's performance in WOMEN IN LOVE is brilliant and captures the book's character perfectly. The only other performance that comes close is Fonda in KLUTE.

Minnelli was playing herself to a large degree though she's very effective and it's certainly her best work on film. I watched ALICE several months ago and I really found Burstyn's character tiresome, but she does play it very well. But Rowlands deserved the Oscar that year. Dunaway's character in NETWORK is two-dimensional.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2021 9:05 PM

I would have given Liza's Oscar to Diana Ross

Glenda's second should have went to Marsha Mason

Diane Keaton should have won for Looking for Mr. Goodbar

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2021 9:20 PM

Diane got her pussy out in Good bar or just tits?

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2021 9:43 PM

Liza.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2021 9:46 PM

Jane Fonda for Klute is one of the best year. No one comes frigging close.

Diane Keaton for Annie Hall is second just for headlining arguably the greatest movie of all time in its genre and for bringing alive one of the most iconic characters in the history of movies.

Faye Dunaway next for starring in Network. Its a great performance.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2021 9:46 PM

Liza with a Z.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2021 9:49 PM

Wow, I can't even add anything since everyone above already said what I think. Ingrid bergman should've won for Autumn Sonata, Ellen Burstyn for the Exorcist and Gena Rowlands for a Woman under the Influence.

I voted for Klute. Jane Fonda as the slightly insecure hooker is such a great role. And she originated the snot face in her final scene (back off Viola). Her therapy scenes are her pièce de résistance. They're all available on YouTube if you want to see them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2021 1:30 AM

Surprised Faye doesn't have more

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2021 5:01 PM

Bumpo

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2021 3:19 PM

I'm surprised Liza has so many votes

by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2021 10:58 AM

[quote]If Jill Clayburgh had won for An Unmarried Woman over Fonda in Coming Home, I'd likely have voted for her.

We would unquestionably have voted for Jill Clayburgh.

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2021 1:38 AM

I voted for Liza. The choice took all of 10 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2021 1:42 AM

It’s been years since I saw it but I’m surprised Louise Fletcher was nominated in the best actress for Cuckoo’s Nest. Wasn’t that more of a supporting role?

by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2021 1:50 AM

^best actress category

by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2021 1:50 AM

I love sally Field in Norma Rae too. Great film and performance

by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2021 2:38 AM

I still think Tatum O'Neal should have been nominated for Best Actress that year (and won instead of Glenda's 2nd) and Madeline Kahn should have won for Best Supporting, both for "Paper Moon".

by Anonymousreply 32July 3, 2021 2:43 AM

1. Ellen Burstyn

2. Glenda Jackson (WIL)

3. Jane Fonda (Klute)

4. Louise Fletcher

5. Faye Dunaway

6. Lizsha Minnelli

7. Glenda Jackson (ATOC)

8. Diane Keaton

9. Sally Field

10. Jane Fonda (CH)

by Anonymousreply 33July 3, 2021 9:54 AM

UNION is my choice here despite some formable competition.

by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2021 9:55 AM

How did Fonda is Klute not win this?

by Anonymousreply 35October 28, 2021 3:25 AM

Ellen Burstyn is astounding in "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore." There may be film performances that are as good as that one, but not many. And there are none that are better.

If you have not seen it, or have not seen it recently, do yourself a favor and make a point of seeing it as soon as you can.

by Anonymousreply 36October 28, 2021 3:33 AM

Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 37October 28, 2021 5:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!