Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The GOP: Defund the Military!!

Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, defended the U.S. Military Academy's curriculum from criticism by Republicans at a House Armed Services Committee hearing on Wednesday. Milley specifically waved off complaints about an elective class at West Point that teaches critical race theory and explored "white rage," but he more generally stood up for the importance of academic study of differing views and difficult subjects important to understanding America, like race.

"I personally find it offensive that we are accusing the United States military, our general officers, our commissioned, non-commissioned officers of being 'woke' or something else because we're studying some theories that are out there," Milley said, in response to comments from Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) and Mike Waltz (R-Fla.). The "wokeness" of the military has also been a talking point on Fox News, by Tucker Carlson and others, and host Laura Ingraham slapped back at Milley on her show Wednesday night.

"We are sending our tax dollars to this military in an attempt to week out so-called 'extremists,'" Ingraham said, saying these "extremists" are just "conservative evangelicals" and not, as the Pentagon contends, white nationalist militants. "Why is Congress not saying we're not going to give you a penny until all this is eradicated from the military budget? Nothing. 'This is my offer to you: nothing," she said, quoting Michael Corleone in The Godfather Part II." That's what I would say," she said. Ingraham accused Milley of spreading a "far-left Marxist racist ideology" in the military, adding, "I am totally outraged by him and his ridiculous response today."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2021 9:57 AM

Oh, my. FOX and the current GQP are really burning EVERY bridge aren't they?

Every bridge but the one that connects them with trash people who threaten the lives of those representatives and their families who don't do want they want, when they want them to do it.

When a rabid dog like that is your only ally, it's only a matter of time before you get bitten.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2021 3:55 PM

I would love to see Fox's reaction if Rachel Maddow openly advocated cutting the Pentagon's budget for ideological reasons. But Fox can get away with it because they determine what's patriotism and there's literally nothing outside the parameters they set.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2021 4:08 PM

So Defund the Police is horrible but Defund the Military is a-okay?

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2021 5:08 PM

If the military is defunded, how will future president DeSatanis teargas peaceful protesters?

Will he farm that job out to Cletus from the Trailer Park and Chet Richie Rich III from the gated community?

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2021 5:19 PM

I am a bit baffled by Fox's end game here; making scapegoats of BLM or Nancy Pelosi is one thing, but taking on the military brass? I get that the CRT is just the latest boogeyman, but picking a fight with the military brass seems...ill advised.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2021 9:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!