Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm a New Yorker who visited the Midwest for the first time. Here are 15 things that surprised me.

An article made for DL....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 26, 2021 11:33 PM

His Twitter account is verified and has only 253 followers. I think that must be a record low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2021 2:54 PM

Imagine this dumbass traveling abroad? OMG! They have these “toilets” that spray water up your ass!!! ZOMG!!!

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2021 3:05 PM

It kind of reads like a fifth-grader's "What I Did on My Summer Vacation" report.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2021 3:24 PM

R3 that’s what 99% of “journalists” sound like these days.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2021 3:25 PM

Gen Z travels.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2021 3:27 PM

Love the photo of Steamworks with the "Chicago Proudest Neighborhood" banner flying from the street pole.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2021 3:35 PM

Dumb ass

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2021 3:37 PM

He straight up ignored Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2021 3:39 PM

His mother must be so proud

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2021 3:40 PM

You lost me at "I'm a New Yorker"

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2021 4:01 PM

He needs to get out more often.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2021 4:06 PM

“Mom, it’s really nice here. They even have electricity and drive cars!” 📞

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2021 4:08 PM

Water is still wet ... and the sun shines! Who knew

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 4:10 PM

Does this kid have a father in high places calling shots? His article about eating at an Italian restaurant during covid sounds exactly as R3 describes.

He is very wide-eyed and earnest, though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2021 4:12 PM

R2 ha!

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2021 4:31 PM

"And then there was this one time! At band camp!"

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2021 5:04 PM

Did I miss it, is he Gay or not? It makes more sense if he’s a clueless straight idiot, and he proves that you can be from NY and lack basic sophistication.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote]he proves that you can be from NY and lack basic sophistication.

Have you ever been to the outer boroughs dear? They're basically feral.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2021 7:01 PM

A: Insider? Is that a thing?

B: I know more than a few New Yorkers who do not think a kid from Long Island is a New Yorker, even after six years. A resident of New York State, sure.

C: "Everyone" was nice, "unlike some" in New York. What the hell does that mean?

D: "Cheers" as a thank you is more British than American. I can't believe this isn't said more in New York but I could be wrong.

Overall, the piece is as inane as anything I've read about an untraveled and unsophisticated person. You don't have to be from backwoods Alabama to be a rube.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2021 7:05 PM

He's gay, R17.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2021 7:08 PM

You guys didn’t disappoint. I knew you guys would make all kinds of fun of him. Very sad, actually.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2021 7:09 PM

[quote]You don't have to be from backwoods Alabama to be a rube.

Again, have you ever been to the outer boroughs?

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2021 7:09 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2021 7:12 PM

He sounds like a complete idiot.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2021 7:15 PM

R13- and Dwarfs are short and Lemons are sour.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2021 7:16 PM

What a dumbass. Chicago is no more representative of the Midwest than NYC is of the Northeast. His comments really are dumb---I mean of course Lake Michigan is important---he probably didn't talk to anyone who lived more than a couple miles away from it. When I lived in Chicago, being within walking distance of the lake was an imperative---I'd been landlocked for10 years having grown-up within walking distance ofanother graet lake ad I knew the lake would moderate summer heat.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2021 7:17 PM

He’s not from the outer boroughs. He’s from Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2021 7:17 PM

But the posters were surprised that New Yorkers could be unsophisticated r27. Just go to the outer boroughs to see how unsophisticated native New Yorkers can be.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2021 7:20 PM

Meh, the only part that achieves so-stupid-it's-funny is the section about how "proud" we are in the Midwest, illustrated by an obvious Pride flag in the gayberhood.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2021 8:04 PM

How do you know, R20?

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2021 8:50 PM

I mean, just how dumb is he to not know that it gets hot in the Midwest? In a way, he reminds me of idiotic American tourists in Canada during the summer, "it gets hot here? You guys have summer?" Just an example of the "ugly" American stereotype. Not all Americans are so stupid though, of course, but it sure seems as though there's a loud-mouthed contingent of them.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2021 8:56 PM

If you guys thought this read was inane, take a look at the article about the Congress Hotel in Chicago from Insider.. It must've been written by a 14 year old girl.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2021 8:59 PM

R30, his Insider profile says that he covers the "LGBTQ community".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2021 9:19 PM

R26, people in Chicago are more obsessed with the lake than other people living near water. Even you say it was imperative to live near the lake. I have never heard that about any other place.

I have lived by the ocean and large rivers. In no place did people know the water temperature or much detail about them. But in Chicago, it really is a thing.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2021 11:38 PM

*I went somewhere a bit far away from where I live and things are slightly different *

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2021 11:41 PM

If he was blown away by Chicago and Detroit, just wait until he sees Kansas City!

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2021 11:52 PM

Frankie's a basic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2021 11:55 PM

As a born and raised Midwesterner who went to college and lived in Chicago for ten years, I’m not sure about the friendliness. There is often a certain degree of first-contact friendliness/niceness - whether genuine or superficial - that is a good thing.

But dig deeper and I don’t think Midwesterners are genuinely nicer, better people on average. Some are genuinely nice of course. But many are just raised to be fake nice and are judgmental and shitty underneath the facade.

I guess if it’s in the context of service it doesn’t really matter if the niceness is fake, but still.

by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2021 12:12 AM

I also find New Yorkers to be much nicer on the street than people in other American cities. Ask them for directions they will usually help--or apologize profusely if they cannot.

Chicago, Boston....not as consistent.

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2021 12:18 AM

Which are the outer boroughs?

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2021 12:28 AM

R40, the ones that are not Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2021 12:44 AM

I grew up in the Midwest and we never said cheers!

by Anonymousreply 42June 25, 2021 12:47 AM

OMG guys, it is click bait, which I fell for and read on Yahoo, before OP posted this thread. He is a genius, play the rube and get people to read your articles. It won't win a Pulitzer but it got him noticed.

by Anonymousreply 43June 25, 2021 12:48 AM

Getting off the plane at O’Hare totally triggered my anxiety because the gate numbers were different and I didn’t recognize the configuration of the terminal at all. I’m still really confused by this?

When I finally managed to get outside, I waited and waited for my Uber. That’s when I encountered the most surprising thing of all.

I was looking for a car with the license-plate “123-ABCD," but as a New Yorker, I was expecting a New York plate. There was a car with that number, but the plate said something like “Illinois.”

I was scared to approach the driver because he looked super toxic and the terminal anxiety had already pushed my social anxiety into overdrive. Bering forced into a face-to-face conversation to ask if he was my Uber was WAY outside my comfort zone. What I needed in that moment was self care.

Luckily, he drove away while I was trying to calm myself with some alternate-nostril breathing. As it turns out, most cars in Chicago have those Illinois plates. IDK? Your guess is as good as mine.

by Anonymousreply 44June 25, 2021 1:43 AM

I knew a man who danced with his own wife.

by Anonymousreply 45June 25, 2021 1:49 AM

I'm betting he wrote this from his apartment in NYC. Nearly every "discovery" has been commented on before and is widely known and would hardly require a visit -- the Midwest is slower than NYC, imagine that. And the "cheers" thing he probably got from a movie because I'm not aware of anywhere in the Midwest where people say "cheers" all the time.

by Anonymousreply 46June 25, 2021 3:03 PM

I say cheers but it’s a British thing.

by Anonymousreply 47June 25, 2021 3:09 PM

I can't wait to read his article about visiting Paris.

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2021 3:10 PM

Did you know they have cars there, R48? Cars!!! Can you believe it?!

by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2021 3:11 PM

have him visit the wealthy suburbs north of chicago (i.e. drive up sheridan road) and see how genuine, friendly and down to earth everyone is! (sarcasm)..

by Anonymousreply 50June 25, 2021 3:17 PM

Chicago! Chicago!

by Anonymousreply 51June 25, 2021 4:07 PM

God damn, talk about country bumpkin

You can come from Brooklyn but you’re still an inbred hick in my mind if you come of with this ridiculous list (the Midwest is hot! They have restaurants like us!)

by Anonymousreply 52June 25, 2021 4:18 PM

This is what happens when you fire all the editors and let journalists publish their first drafts.

by Anonymousreply 53June 25, 2021 4:41 PM

[quote] Overall, the piece is as inane as anything I've read about an untraveled and unsophisticated person. You don't have to be from backwoods Alabama to be a rube.

We can't all be as cosmopolitan and sophisticated as you are, Noel Coward.

by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2021 4:57 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2021 5:10 PM

He's a actual journalist/reporter? Whose been hired by a major newspaper? And gets paid????!!!

Damn, where and when do I get hired? Maybe just maybe my Associates degree from a junior college in Journalism will pay off after all?!

by Anonymousreply 56June 25, 2021 5:37 PM

Someone in the article at R55 makes a good point. How can you be a journalist that has never travelled?

by Anonymousreply 57June 25, 2021 5:38 PM

This guy is such a rube.

by Anonymousreply 58June 25, 2021 5:43 PM

The least aware person (of the whole wide world) I ever met was raised in Soho. Didn't feel the need to learn about any place, culture, history, etc. because he believed he was born at the center of the world -- and what else outside of his world could possibly matter.

by Anonymousreply 59June 25, 2021 5:52 PM

I would be surprised if this poor guy made more than like $500 for this.

by Anonymousreply 60June 25, 2021 6:42 PM

R58 Can you believe they eat lots of baguettes!

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2021 6:46 PM

Hard-hitting journalism at its finest.

by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2021 9:53 PM

Another anthropological journalist is sent to something called a “Kenosha” and is shocked by waves.

[quote]It was cruelly cold the night I got to Wisconsin, but I’d been expecting that. It was the sound of the lake that surprised me. From blocks away, you could hear waves thudding against the crags of ice that limned the shore—partly a function of the total silence that had descended on the streets of Kenosha that evening. I took this at first for the silence of desolation, which I’d also been expecting, but it turned out to be only the mundane quiet of a city whose residents had someplace indoors to be after dark.

[quote]The city of Kenosha is a gray, exurban strip of Lake Michigan frontage with barely a hundred thousand residents. Until this magazine offered to send me there, I had never heard of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2021 10:47 PM

Isn’t Chicago where the blacks kill people?

by Anonymousreply 64June 25, 2021 11:16 PM

I am shocked that the author didn't have a point about how surprising it is that Midwest is not really in the middle west of the United States. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 65June 25, 2021 11:51 PM

Having spent 5 years of my childhood living withing walking distance of Lake Michigan, it's hard to explain to people how you can hear the water when you go to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 66June 26, 2021 12:23 AM

Today's travelog: Here's why people love living by Chicago's lakefront. It's a 19 mile stretch of greenspace with bike and running paths. Most photos of Chicago normally show just the downtown area around Oak Street (28-31 minute mark). This video starts at Foster Avenue beach, just south of the gay beach at Hollywood. Boystown, where I live, is roughly between the 13-15 minute mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 26, 2021 3:49 PM

CHICAGO has the most stunning skyline of any major city, when you drive up upon it and look to your left as you drive first on I-55 interstate and then when you start on Lake Shore Drive....beautiful city, but of course very expensive and "cliquish"....

by Anonymousreply 68June 26, 2021 7:56 PM

Chicago is not expensive at all compared to NY / SF / LA. - but the gay community is pretty small, and thus cliquish but not as bad as Boston.

by Anonymousreply 69June 26, 2021 11:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!