Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Sussexes rejected the title Earl of Dumbarton because it contains the word "Dumb"

Yes, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 1, 2021 9:05 AM

Wouldn't you? Imagine the field day the cornyass British headline writers would've had with that one.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2021 2:29 AM

I can’t argue with them on that. It’s damn ugly. I would reject The Earl Of Dumbarton as quickly as I would reject the names Ethel or Kaetlyn or Cornelius or Jaxsyn.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2021 2:33 AM

Oh don't get me wrong, they hoovered up the title like it was a rail. They just claimed to the family that they didn't like it and therefore refused to give it to Archie.

What do the people of Dumbarton think of this, I wonder? One of the oldest and most storied places in Scotland, and very beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2021 2:34 AM

I'm not certain this one really adds up. Harry himself is Earl of Dumbarton since 2018 when he married. I don't recall anybody ever using that to point out his already obvious dumbness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2021 2:35 AM

Harry is already the Earl of Dumbarton.

Perhaps Archie can be Son of a Dumbarton.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2021 2:37 AM

I doubt the people of Scotland are not precious enough to be offended. I am Australian and we have any number of goofy sounding place names.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2021 2:39 AM

So Archie won't be able to go and Lord it over the people of Strathclyde because his parents didn't want him to have a name with the word "dumb" in it? Shame. I'm sure they'll miss him madly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2021 2:39 AM

In proper English "dumb" means silent, not stupid.

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2021 2:40 AM

Since Archie is the son of Dumb and Dumber, Earl of Dumbarton makes sense.

Cue the Klan Granny accusers. 3,2,1….

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2021 2:41 AM

Dumbarton (/dʌmˈbɑːrtən/; also Scots: Dumbairton; from Scottish Gaelic Dùn Breatann or Dùn Breatainn 'fort of the Britons' pronounced [t̪umˈpɾʲɛʰt̪ɪɲ]) is a town in West Dunbartonshire, Scotland, on the north bank of the River Clyde where the River Leven flows into the Clyde estuary.

So it means 'fortress', which is a very cool thing to be named after, but because the Harkles have never cracked a book between them they don't realize that.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2021 2:44 AM

I remember cringing when that title was announced for Harry. I thought it was a bit of palace shade considering even back then (and even for that family of...non intellectuals) he wasn't the sharpest lad.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2021 2:46 AM

Likewise, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2021 2:47 AM

He’s more likely to be bullied for his first name and his mother’s grilling video or her oral sex scene in the 90210 reboot.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 2:48 AM

Nah, r11. All the other big Scottish titles were taken. Dumbarton is a very cool title to have for those who follow Scottish history (as in, Not Hazy and Smugs).

Dumbarton Castle guards the point where the River Leven joins the River Clyde.

Its recorded history goes back 1,500 years.

Back then, the place was known as Alt Clut ('Rock of the Clyde'). Later it became known by the Gaelic name Dun Breatann ('Fortress of the Britons') from which the name Dumbarton is derived.

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2021 2:51 AM

The name means literally "The Guard of The Britons". For the right person, that would actually be a great name and would be much appreciated. (By right person I mean a person who has read books, which Harry has not).

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2021 2:55 AM

The Sussexes: “Her name is Lilibet Diana”

HRH: “The Earl of Dumbarton. Take it or leave it”

Checkmate.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2021 2:55 AM

So Meghan wants Archie to be a Prince because the EARLDOM he was given wasn't good enough?

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2021 3:00 AM

Yeah, like the name "Archie" is so aristocratic. A nickname instead of a proper name already sets the kid back two notches. And it was the name of mom's favorite cat...

Sad that they went to the effort of naming the baby girl after two important family members, but the boy gets the comic book character name. Yes, I realize the nickname "Archie" is popular in Great Britain, but how many in the royal family have had this name?

The criticism of "Dumbarton" also seems very American.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2021 3:05 AM

[quote] I am Australian and we have any number of goofy sounding place names.

Yes, such as 'What-A-Nobby'.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2021 3:05 AM

Responses below the tweet are saying it's pronounced "DuNbarton" anyway and did Harry not know this after growing up in Britain and why did no one explain this to the Harkles. This whole thing is so petty and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2021 3:08 AM

This is just getting so silly. It’s comical.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2021 3:15 AM

[quote] The criticism of "Dumbarton" also seems very American.

Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2021 3:15 AM

Lies "leaked" by the Palace courtiers again to push back against the bad press. Very transparent.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2021 3:20 AM

The leaks on both sides...It's getting high school level. Assholes, the entire lot.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2021 3:23 AM

So saying he was not offered a title due to concerns about the color of his skin was a lie on several counts? Color me SHOCKED!

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2021 3:25 AM

From the sounds of things, the Palace started the whole problem by using Harry and Meghan stories to protect Wills and Kate, and were just fine with villianizing Meghan.

R25 only if you believe the anonymous palace source, which has been shown to lie frequently. It's a bit obviously that this story comes out when more negative press around racism happens about the Palace. The Palace is anything but subtle.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2021 3:27 AM

Actually that's a good point, r25. She did claim that Archie was not given a title.

Turns out he was offered an Earldom.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2021 3:28 AM

Wouldn't Archie automatically receive the Earl of Dumbarton title as it's a subsidiary title of Harry's?

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2021 3:28 AM

Sparkle and Dimwit. Both so, so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2021 3:29 AM

They rejected it for him, Rose. Keep up.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2021 3:29 AM

I can’t imagine why — I mean, it’s not like there’d be an army of shitheaded bigots who would make it their life’s work to ridicule and condemn them for every conceivable thing, even using their title to ridicule them.

Never!

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2021 3:31 AM

The Palace is lying. You're falling for it again.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2021 3:31 AM

Harry is the only member of his immediate family who has a title. All the other titles are "courtesy titles" stemming from Harry's genuine title. So Meghan is really just Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor, and Archie is just Archie Mountbatten Windsor, but the Crown allows Meghan to style herself "The Duchess of Sussex" so long as she is married to Harry, and offered to have Archie styled "Earl of Dumbarton" until he inherits Harry's Duke of Sussex title.

Caveat: If Meghan were born a British citizen, she would be a genuine Duchess in her own right, and would be able to keep the dowager version of the title after divorce. As it stands right now, she is not a British citizen, so her styled title dissolves upon her divorce from Harry.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2021 3:35 AM

Shows just how pathetically uneducated their Royal Wokenesses are.

The name comes from the Gaelic Dun Breatann, which means 'fort of the Britons' (the Britons being Celtic tribes who had colonised the area).

Wouldn't you think that Henry the Spare would be proud of this?

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2021 3:36 AM

^^^ Just to add: They gave Harry 3 titles: Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel. By tradition the eldest son of a duke is styled using his second title, and the second son styled with the third title, and so forth. Each moves up on death of the father, but in reality the titles remain Harry's for as long as he lives.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2021 3:38 AM

[quote]The Palace is lying. You’re falling for it again.

I’m on it!

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2021 3:40 AM

There’s R26 paddling its (her?) own canoe sponsored by the elite club known as The Sussex Squad. A club so elite that you don’t need reasoning ability or editing acuity.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2021 3:41 AM

By on it, Gayle means she's waiting on her talking points from Montecito

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2021 3:42 AM

I think the name and its history are very cool. There's been a fort there called a version of Dumbarton there since 500 BC!

Harry is not worthy of a title with such a fierce history.

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2021 3:42 AM

How dare they turn down the hallowed title Dumbarton!!! I’m enraged!!!

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2021 3:43 AM

Is it pronounced DUMbarton or DumBARton?

They didn’t have a problem with the “sex” in Sussex.

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2021 3:45 AM

Its pronounced DUNbarton, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2021 3:45 AM

^^^With an N, even though it's spelled with an M. That kind of confusion will happen to places that were originally named 1500 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2021 3:46 AM

Oh! Now we get it! The name was a tribute to Prince Philip. Don't all of you jaded people feel guilty now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2021 3:51 AM

There are even places in the US, parks and such, spelled Dumbarton but pronounced DUN-barton. They turned down the title and Harry said he wanted his kids to be like Zara and Peter Phillips. The 180 was revenge and an attempted $$$ shakedown after Mexit, which was their idea!

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2021 3:53 AM

"Subtle" Lolllll.

When was the last time the Harkles could be accused of subtlety?

Also didn't they already issue a statement saying they told the Queen they were naming the baby after her?

What tangled webs these two weave...

by Anonymousreply 46June 24, 2021 3:55 AM

Get out!

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2021 3:56 AM

The name wasn't offensive to Igor Stravinsky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2021 3:57 AM

By the way, next time any of you are in D.C., a trip to Dumbarton-Oaks is always fantastic. An amazing collection and a beautiful house and garden. It's nothing short of heavenly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2021 3:57 AM

Meghan regards herself and her son as ABOVE the likes of Stravinsky, r48.

by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2021 4:01 AM

He called dibs…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2021 4:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2021 4:06 AM

I think r51's Josh Barro deserves it more than the Harkles do - but poor little Archie. To be denied a very cool, very historically interesting title for nothing more than an American actress' ignorance of how the word is actually pronounced!

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2021 4:10 AM

B U M P for P U M P P U M P

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2021 4:22 AM

It’s really sad that these two narcissists can’t count their blessings and be happy with the privileged lives they’re enjoying, and set good examples for lives well lived for their children.

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2021 4:26 AM

But you ARE dumb, Harry and Meghan. YOU ARE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2021 4:27 AM

but naming him after racist Archie Bunker wasn't an issue?

by Anonymousreply 57June 24, 2021 4:38 AM

This proves that they knew they were leaving Britain by the time Archie was born.

No child in the UK would hear the name Dum(n)barton and think to mock it as it is a place to them. Also, the word 'dumb' is used only by working class people in Britain who watch Channel 5 and all its American programming. Upper class and middle class people say 'stupid' because to them, the word 'dumb' means to be unable to speak ('struck dumb' 'dumbfounded'), and not to be mentally deficient.

Meghan was worried that IN AMERICA Archie would be mocked for having a name she misread as sounding as if it includes the Americanism 'Dumb' in it. She already knew they were going as of May 2019. Whenever it was that she finally informed Harry that they were leaving is another matter.

Also, as someone upthread mentioned, if they were worried the child would be mocked, then why name him, of all things, 'Archie'? To name him any nickname instead of a Christian name invites mockery in the UK, and in the US the name would certainly invite at least some mockery as it is largely associated with cartoon characters. The name Archibald might be ugly, but at least it's not a joke name, and it is respectable to call someone named Archibald by the nickname Archie. The way they named him will guarantee that he will struggle to be taken seriously for the rest of his life, poor little mite.

She never cared about the child being mocked. She was trying to guilt and pressure the family into changing the rules from the very beginning and her complaining about this Earldom was part of her campaign to get her child the title of Prince so that she could retain her newfound status even if she decides to divorce Harry. As it stands right now, her children having titles of their own is the only way she can do that. Otherwise she goes back to plain Mrs., and the kids stay plain Archie and Lilibet (horrible names).

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2021 4:47 AM

"We don't want our kids to be mocked, so we named him Archie Harrison. Get it, he's HARRY'S SON!"

by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2021 5:12 AM

It's unlikely Harry knows how to pronounce Dumbarton, let alone spell it.

by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2021 5:24 AM

#HarryandMeghan are trending on UK twitter right now. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 61June 24, 2021 5:32 AM

[quote] Harry is already the Earl of Dumbarton. Perhaps Archie can be Son of a Dumbarton.

That’s a good one, that’s funny

by Anonymousreply 62June 24, 2021 5:42 AM

Oh no he didn’t!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 24, 2021 6:00 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2021 6:10 AM

Sorry but that is funny.

As a point of interest, did Lord Scunthorpe turn his nose up at the title the way the z-list actress from hollywood did or did he just realise that it's s placename and that it was an honor no matter with what word it may sound?

Let me guess: He took the title and refrained from insulting the entire population of Scunthorpe.

by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2021 6:10 AM

Coming to Lifetime. No air date set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 24, 2021 6:14 AM

R64 We all know by now, and that thread got zapped so...let's keep it to this topic and see if it can live for longer than that one diid.

by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2021 6:18 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 24, 2021 6:18 AM

I agree with r67. Could we please stick to the topic?

by Anonymousreply 69June 24, 2021 6:21 AM

r67 The idea that a thread about how Charles spends his money was "zapped" is ridiculous. Stop making things up please.

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2021 6:21 AM

R70 It was. Threads get zapped all of the time. Not just re: these two. You must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2021 6:25 AM

I have been here for nearly 20 years, scunt r71

Try again.

by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2021 6:27 AM

Why on EARTH would Muriel delete a thread about the BRF's annual accounts report? Explain.

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2021 6:28 AM

R72 Here lies its empty shell. RIP Thread 28779215

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2021 6:29 AM

Hmm. r74.

Fucking hell. What has been happening to this place?

Last I looked this place was for Pointless Bitchery.

I LOVE to pointlessly bitch about the Royals.

It is, after all, FUN.

by Anonymousreply 75June 24, 2021 6:34 AM

Any word on who Lilibet’s godparents will be? Oprah has scoffed at rumors that she will be the godmother.

by Anonymousreply 76June 24, 2021 6:46 AM

Sometimes Muriel gets heat, or just irritated, especially when the freaks roll in. The BRF threads are full of landmines. I had done up one that was strictly about the revisionist history around Will and Waity and had links from the DM back when these two were considered the hopeless ones, with photos, old gossip board info, etc. This was when the whole Rose thing went down. It was great if I do say so myself, and it was fun to see the oldies here with long memories chime in. A ton of posts in, and suddenly it was gone. Ouch.

Anyway, sometimes it is inexplicable. We had one of our many (oh so many) "favorite foods that you remember" get hit. I could go on, but you get the picture.

by Anonymousreply 77June 24, 2021 6:47 AM

Oh it has always been inexplicable r77, but in days past it was only if something TRULY. HORRIBLE. had been posted.

I think my question still stands: WHAT was so TRULY. HORRIBLE. about the BRF's expenditures last year that warranted the deletion of a thread about it?

by Anonymousreply 78June 24, 2021 6:53 AM

R78 We'll never know. Anyway, sorry to derail, OP. I just figured since that happened it was a good idea not to post anything having to do with that other subject to try and keep this thread intact.

by Anonymousreply 79June 24, 2021 6:58 AM

Yes, agreed, r79 And no you didn't jinx it, you silly goose.

by Anonymousreply 80June 24, 2021 6:59 AM

The Harkle fans ff the threads until they are deleted. Woke people are fucking control freaks. That last thread was great and then OP was greyed out. A day later the thread was deleted You will not speak unkindly of the moron Harkles

by Anonymousreply 81June 24, 2021 7:12 AM

The Sussex fans have been threatening to kill the three children of an editor at the Telegraph.

Funny, because the Telegraph has been the only UK publication who has refused to really call the Sussexes out.

by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2021 7:28 AM

^^^ This is what I mean.

Who ARE these people? And WHY?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2021 7:52 AM

R14 Their rejection of the title shows how little invested they were in local history and culture. After all, you're talking about a British prince born in the 1980s who didn't know he was related to the Romanovs.

They had also decided they were headed for America by the time Archie was born. In America, the title would be both counterproductive for a little boy in school, and too socially pretentious even for.Meghan Markle.

If they'd stayed in, and in Britain, and bothered to visit the place in the country where Harry spent every summer of his life till Meghan came along, their child's title would have felt different.

And it was another Fuck you to the Queen, this just isn't good enough for us. From the 6th in line.

Meghan is shallow as a bathtub. She really didn't belong in Britain, she hasn't a clue what real class or mobility is. It's just as well they left. It's just too bad they couldn't do so gracefully without inflicting so much pain.

And the irony is, they may lose Sussex, the title they want to keep, as a result of shit like this.

Neither of them have the remotest notion of playing the long game.

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2021 8:09 AM

^*nobility, not mobility

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2021 8:10 AM

They never even visited Sussex, r84.

You're right.

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2021 8:13 AM

Archie Bunker would have said to them -You are something else!

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2021 8:18 AM

May I suggest Fitz Dumbarton?

by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2021 8:19 AM

The trouble with Harry, r88, is that he is not Fitz.

We were all hoping for so long that he might be, but then he ended up looking just like both Charles and early Philip.

by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2021 8:24 AM

The tweeter at R63 is overreacting; nobody called the baby a cunt, he said be glad it wasn’t Scunthorpe. People are making similar jokes about Berkshire and the Isles of Scilly.

Meghan’s fans say just any old thing to make their idol seem like a victim. It’s nuts!

by Anonymousreply 90June 24, 2021 8:33 AM

No one is going to mock the name Archie. Have you heard kids’ names these days? Seriously, anything goes.

by Anonymousreply 91June 24, 2021 8:39 AM

She named him Archie SO that he would he mocked, and therefore in the news, She named the latest baby for similar reasons.

Holy Mary mother of GOD how do people turn out this way?

by Anonymousreply 92June 24, 2021 8:43 AM

Dumbarton is also a shithole. Trust me, I’ve been there.

by Anonymousreply 93June 24, 2021 8:47 AM

You miss the point, r93.

I could be the pit at the bottom of the well that was once dug to contain the worst of the refuse of the SHIT.

And I'd still consider myself above the Harkles.

by Anonymousreply 94June 24, 2021 9:01 AM

R4 you mean like you just did? You cunt...

by Anonymousreply 95June 24, 2021 9:14 AM

R93, can you elaborate? If you’re American, what would be an equivalent place? Are there slums full of skinheads? Toothless hillbillies? What makes it a shithole?

by Anonymousreply 96June 24, 2021 9:16 AM

I agree, R91. R58 is off the mark in saying that anything other than a full Christian name will invite derision in Britain today. Jack, Harry, Charlie, Freddie, Alfie - I could go on, but the point is that lots of kids are given diminutives as their birth names nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 97June 24, 2021 9:48 AM

[r35], You're almost right about the subsidiary titles. However, the second subsidiary title (if there is one) would go to the heir's oldest son, not to the titleholder's second son.

As an example, HRH The Duke of Kent has the subsidiary titles of Earl of St. Andrews and Baron Downpatrick. His son George uses the Earl of St. Andrews title. George's son Edward uses the Downpatrick one. If it worked the way you said, the Downpatrick title would have gone to Kent's younger son Lord Nicholas Windsor.

by Anonymousreply 98June 24, 2021 10:28 AM

[quote]The Sussex fans have been threatening to kill the three children of an editor at the Telegraph.

Link, r82.

by Anonymousreply 99June 24, 2021 10:40 AM

The word DUMB hits too close to home for the Dim and the Bimbo.

by Anonymousreply 100June 24, 2021 10:43 AM

R97, how many in the BRF have been named with nickname rather than a full "Christian" name? And, of course, since the Harkles never planned on staying in the UK, the concern for derision is in the U.S. The boy is American, lives in the U.S. and will obviously be raised there. It will be very interesting to see if he maintains his dual citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 101June 24, 2021 11:42 AM

Why wouldn't he retain dual citizenship, r101? It's only American citizenship that chases US nationals who live abroad to pay high levels of tax in the US on earnings they made in their country of residence and have already paid tax on.

by Anonymousreply 102June 24, 2021 11:57 AM

It's one crazed Sussex stan, r99. How nuts do you have to be to post something like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 24, 2021 11:59 AM

R93 don’t be fooled by the pretty pics of the castle and river the tourist industry has up when you google. The actual town is an old industrial town that’s dead now, ugly buildings, drab and degenerating, chavvy (classless) and problems with gangs. No one would want to be associated with it.

by Anonymousreply 104June 24, 2021 12:01 PM

Dumbarton in the news last year. See how fucking ugly the place actually is...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 24, 2021 12:03 PM

The town is so depressing and drab

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 24, 2021 12:04 PM

Don’t plan any holidays there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 24, 2021 12:05 PM

Dear Anti-Dumbarton Troll: Are you a passionate Meghan defender, or did someone from Dumbarton steal your man?

by Anonymousreply 108June 24, 2021 12:15 PM

R99, you quote R82 and ask then ask a question. Did you even bother to read R83?

And what’s with the one word demand? “Link?” Read the thread or Google it yourself, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 109June 24, 2021 12:21 PM

R88 R89 - Still, it was a very nice hit!

Actually, they did pay one visit to Sussex shortly after they were married. It was one of Meghan's worst ever outfits. The greens don't even tone together, the shirt-blouse is slovenly, and the lambskin skirt had a huge an unsightly silver-toned zipper up the back that accentuated her big arse. Not to mention the unkempt hair.

And she thought she would blow Kate out of the water with her edgy fashion sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 24, 2021 12:26 PM

In contrast, Kate and William visit Cambridge early in their marriage to acknowledge their title on a very, very windy day. Dig Kate's suede ankle boots with the short coat and black tights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 24, 2021 12:30 PM

Good for them. They know very well what the press will do with that title of Dumbarton. It's obvious.

And it should also have been obvious to those who help manage the royal family.

by Anonymousreply 112June 24, 2021 12:33 PM

Dumbarton is just a place name in the UK. And the Brits say 'thick. not 'dumb'. (thick as mince; thick as a docker's jam butty, thick as pig-shit etc).

by Anonymousreply 113June 24, 2021 12:42 PM

R109, the tweet at r83 doesn't show up on the thread for me and when I click on it Twitter makes me log in. So no, I didn't see it, and hey, consider not losing what's left of your mind just because someone asked a question. It's really weird that you guys are always such screaming hairy angry balls of hate on here, then you accuse the "other side" of being the angry ones.

That tweet shows she got a death threat but it's a far cry from saying "the Sussex fans" are threatening to kill the kids. It's one threat, not multiple, and there's no indication that they're H&M fans despite what the reporter said.

by Anonymousreply 114June 24, 2021 12:44 PM

Whether or not Dumbarton is the Garden Spot of the World, the fact remains that the churlish, petulant response insulted one of the four nations that make up Great Britain. The MP for Dumbarton has already mocked the response, and the idea that all those titles must be linked to prestigious places is absurd. Strathearn in Scotland, where William and Kate are referred to as Earl and Countess of Strathearn rather than Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, is picturesque but somewhat isolated and hardly the equal of Cambridge.

At least Kate and William bother to visit it occasionally. And her recent visit to Scotland, Kate wore the Strathearn tartan with her camel hair coat.

Meghan and Harry never fail to miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity - they are incapable of taking what isn't what the rest of the world would call straw, and spin it into gold for themselves.

Their fundamental position is oppositional, their spiteful sense of entitlement mind-boggling, and it's all coming out like air out of a punctured balloon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 24, 2021 12:46 PM

Entitlement, R115?

Harry is a prince. What's the point of being a prince, if you don't feel entitled? His whole fucking family exists on the ultimate entitlement.

by Anonymousreply 116June 24, 2021 12:48 PM

Please r103 that's faker than the ID card of Prince Andrew's "legal" date

by Anonymousreply 117June 24, 2021 12:55 PM

Except he doesn't want to be, or at least sometimes. Or do the actual work involved, minimal though that is.

by Anonymousreply 118June 24, 2021 1:03 PM

The Telegraph has long since abandoned attempts to give the Sussexes a kinder gentler ride. The Oprah interview was the end of that.

Camilla Tominey posted the tweet in which a member of the Sussex Squad threatened to kill her three children for criticising Meghan. The link appears elsewhere on one of the threads, but here it is again.

The Sussex Squad as an entity had its Twitter account deleted last year for the violence and threats it issued against the Queen, the Cambridges, and journalists who criticised Meghan.

Not once have either of the Sussexes, their representatives, or Omid Scobie referred to or denounced this sort of "support" for Meghan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 24, 2021 1:08 PM

[quote][H]ow many in the BRF have been named with nickname rather than a full "Christian" name?

R101, I was responding to R58, who said:

[quote]To name him any nickname instead of a Christian name invites mockery in the UK.

My comment wasn't about naming habits in the Royal Family, it was about British names in general.

by Anonymousreply 120June 24, 2021 1:08 PM

Apparently, Twitter has taken action against the original poster and others who expressed their opinions similarly.

I wonder, looking at the tweet in question, if it could possibly be DL's very own Klan Granny Troll. It sounds like her, doesn't it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 24, 2021 1:10 PM

^* Sorry, I appear to have posted the same link twice. I thought I'd copied Tominey's later Tweet thanking Twitter for taking action.

by Anonymousreply 122June 24, 2021 1:12 PM

R108 neither. Someone asked why I called it a shithole and I explained, simple as that. There are so many beautiful towns in Scotland, this like the booby prize which I find kind of amusing. I think it’s less likely Meghan and Harry rejected it because of the name, more likely because it’s such a dismal, squalid place.

by Anonymousreply 123June 24, 2021 1:39 PM

I wonder what title would have been acceptable to the Z-list actress?

by Anonymousreply 124June 24, 2021 1:47 PM

R124 - Well, we know the answer to that one, don't we?

by Anonymousreply 125June 24, 2021 1:49 PM

So just imagine, some American 'Hollywood' raised kid that has shunned the BRF all his life, with no sense of responsibility to honor the BRF in any way, is the Earl of Dumbarton. A place he will likely never visit and likely will never be able to find on a map.

TQ needs to immediately sweep away every title she ever bestowed on Harry.

by Anonymousreply 126June 24, 2021 1:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 24, 2021 2:58 PM

[quote]I think it’s less likely Meghan and Harry rejected it because of the name, more likely because it’s such a dismal, squalid place.

Yes, I’m sure Meghan and Harry are well-versed in all corners of the country.

by Anonymousreply 128June 24, 2021 3:31 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 24, 2021 4:24 PM

Charles or William can just give them the title of Earl of Retardedon and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 130June 24, 2021 4:27 PM

I believe H and M never really know Dumbarton really well as they didn't know Sussex really well either.

DUCH-LESS OF SUSSEX Meghan Markle has ‘only spent six hours in Sussex in just one trip’ since becoming Duchess of Sussex

MEGHAN Markle has only spent less than six hours in the county that gave her her title, records suggest.

Prince Harry and Meghan first visited the county of Sussex in October 2018 - five months after they were bestowed with the titles the Duke and Duchess of Sussex following their £32million wedding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131June 24, 2021 4:28 PM

River on titles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132June 24, 2021 4:34 PM

R108, I asked and someone answered. Unclench.

by Anonymousreply 133June 24, 2021 5:42 PM

Well r127 the residents of Dumbarton prove just how dumb they are by trusting the word of a British rag instead of commenting after hearing for themselves that Harry and Meghan actually said it.

by Anonymousreply 134June 24, 2021 6:34 PM

River is hilarious. I love the vid at r132.

by Anonymousreply 135June 24, 2021 9:37 PM

That "British rag" as you call the Daily Telegraph, r 134, has a near-perfect record when it comes to reporting on the Sussexes.

That's why your Sussex Squad pals are threatening to murder the Telegraph's Camilla Tominey's 3 children - because her reporting has been proven right, not because it has been proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 136June 24, 2021 9:41 PM

I feel a little sorry for Dumbarton now. The place and its people don't deserve that petty insult – and from royals, no less! Another embarrassment for the family. If I were the Queen, I'd be particularly pissed off at that one.

There was a bit of rude English slang I first heard on the Troggs tapes – pranny, meaning twat. As in "ya fookin pranny." That's the word I now associate with his royal hiney Prince Harry.

by Anonymousreply 137June 24, 2021 9:56 PM

The Aussies call him "Zoolander Harry"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 25, 2021 2:19 AM

I put this on the Harry Gone Native thread but it’s so egregious, it deserves to be mentioned twice. Look at Harry’s name on his brat’s California birth certficate. How pathetic can you be?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 25, 2021 8:19 AM

Haha the trolls on Lipstick alley are about to be sued. Finally!!! Their was somebody pretending to be anti Sussex for over 6 months. They copied all the private DMS. A couple of the blog owners caught up in it. Really funny. A lot are men posing as women on the thread and some woman pretended to die. Lots of RIP comments. We will miss her wit etc. The woman then started a new avatar and kept posting. One of the infamous original tris also caught. Funny as

by Anonymousreply 140June 25, 2021 8:48 AM

[quote] The Aussies call him "Zoolander Harry"

I think that’s a bit harsh on Derek Zoolander.

by Anonymousreply 141June 25, 2021 9:14 AM

R140 - Hi, Pet! Do let us know how the, er, lawsuit goes.

Sure, whoever said pretend poster was, she collected all those nasty, nasty posts and she's going to SUE THEM FOR DISGUISING THEIR IDENTITIES ON SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because it's ILLEGAL TO DISGUISE YOUR IDENTITY ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND PRETEND TO BE A WOMAN WHEN YOU'RE ACTUALLY A MAN!!!!!!

Really?

I just know that somewhere, someone has been keeping track of every last empty threat you've reported re LSA. I wouldn't bother, but I know someone out there must be doing it just for the hell of it.

You know who's really being pursued, Pet, dear? The Meghanstans who threatened to kill Telegraph journalist Camilla Tominey's three children.

That's what you get reported for, dear, not pretending to be one sex one you're really another on social media, or for not liking that brass-plated lying grifter you're so devoted to.

Wow. Just - Wow.

by Anonymousreply 142June 25, 2021 12:59 PM

R133 - Oh, didn't you know that His Royal Highness is a bona fide last name? Or that Charles' son's first name is actually Duke of Sussex?

It's unbelievable how these two cannot manage to move hand or foot without making fools of themselves.

My guess: Harry was high as a kite or three sheets to the wind when he provided the information.

by Anonymousreply 143June 25, 2021 1:02 PM

Look more closely at the Birth Certificate.

First Name: The Duke of Sussex

Last Name: His Royal Highness

So apparently, Harry wishes to be addressed as "The Duke of Sussex His Royal Highness"

This alone is incorrect.

So ultimately, Lily's legal name is "Lily His Royal Highness"

Harry and Meghan are massively incompetent in everything they do.

by Anonymousreply 144June 25, 2021 4:55 PM

Sued by whom and for what, r140?

You're a more transparent liar than the Harkles themselves.

by Anonymousreply 145June 25, 2021 5:00 PM

How was he listed on Archie’s birth certificate? Or was that never seen by the public?

He’s such a goober. He’d almost be cute, like a really dumb pet, if he weren’t so petulant and entitled.

by Anonymousreply 146June 25, 2021 5:06 PM

That birth certificate would be like a bad farce if it weren't real. I just can't stop chortling - Just Harry, OMFG!!!

by Anonymousreply 147June 25, 2021 9:24 PM

That birth certificate made me bust a gut laughing. Who DOES that? (I bet it was Meghan.)

That has to be a symptom of something clinical. I might have to dig up Archie’s and see how they did it there. I do recall that Meghan had her occupation listed as “Princess of the United Kingdom”.

by Anonymousreply 148June 25, 2021 11:17 PM

Here’s Archie’s.

It makes a small amount of sense because Archie was born in England, before the defection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149June 25, 2021 11:20 PM

Here we go! The perfect place for a narcissist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 26, 2021 1:21 AM

Oh my! The occupations listed for the parents on Little Archie’s birth certificate:

Father: Prince of the United Kingdom

Mother: Princess of the United Kingdom

by Anonymousreply 151June 26, 2021 1:34 AM

"of the United Kingdom" sounds even funnier coming from people who fled the United Kingdom and put it down at every opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 152June 26, 2021 1:37 AM

I guess Prince and Princess sounded better than Lying Grifting Whiners

by Anonymousreply 153June 26, 2021 3:23 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154June 26, 2021 3:41 AM

Agape manifesting in action, via SS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 26, 2021 3:44 AM

R155, whatever it was, it manifested itself down the page to make room for more gripping news.

by Anonymousreply 156June 26, 2021 1:28 PM

R140 - The police are now handling the matter of supporters of Meghan who threatened to kill Camilla Tominey and her three children, as Ms Tominey reported.

They aren't going after LSA, dear: they're going after people like you, willing to kill for Meghan Markle.

By their fruits ye shall know them. And by their "friends".

No one is suing LSA.

But when the police ID the deranged Meghan Worshippers who threatened to knife Tominey and her children to death, then, dear Pet, you'll see some legal action in connection with Meghan.

Just not the ones you hoped for.

by Anonymousreply 157June 26, 2021 1:40 PM

^^ There he is!

(*pointing to the men in white coats with butterfly nets*)

by Anonymousreply 158June 26, 2021 2:14 PM

r157 is entirely correct. The Sussex stan death threats to Camilla Tominey of the Daily Telegraph - and her three children - are open police investigations.

So is the sniper threat a Sussex stan sent to Richard Palmer of the Express last year.

This is entirely real, unlike the deluded ramblings of the "Lipstick Alley posters are being investigated by the FBI/CIA/MI5/MI6" poster on here who pops up on the Harkle threads here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 26, 2021 7:24 PM

The whole "titled" thing is just so comical. That bunch hands 'em out like hard candy. As John Houseman would say "we got our title the old fashioned way. We EARNED it!.

by Anonymousreply 160June 26, 2021 7:44 PM

They don't hand titles out like candy anymore, as Meghan and Harry will learn when the Queen dies....

by Anonymousreply 161June 26, 2021 7:53 PM

R41, the locals probably pronounce it "Doon BRAY-ton".

by Anonymousreply 162June 26, 2021 7:55 PM

Will Charles have to make sure before the Queen dies that Harry’s offspring do not get to be prince/princess?

by Anonymousreply 163June 26, 2021 10:09 PM

In order for the offspring to become Prince and Princess, Charles will have to issue Letters Patent making them HRHs.

My guess is he won't, and not even because of the horrific way that Harry has treated him but because he has been talking for over 20 years about slimming down the number of HRHs in the family to the immediate heirs, and numbers 7 and 8 in line are not considered immediate heirs.

Meghan is trying to pretend this slimming drive is only happening because the kids are 1/12th "black" but it was in place long before she was on the scene. And anyway her claim to blackness is, slim as it is, is at this point the only thing about her the BRF values.

After all, if she were white the BRF would never have even allowed Harry to marry someone like her ( a two-bit actress with multiple marriages behind her) who behaves like she does (screaming at servants, demanding tiaras and calling the paps) etc.

by Anonymousreply 164June 26, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote] In order for the offspring to become Prince and Princess, Charles will have to issue Letters Patent making them HRHs.

That’s good then for making sure it never happens.

by Anonymousreply 165June 26, 2021 10:54 PM

If Archie and Lil'bet become prince and princess in the next few years, it will be interesting to see how people in the US, where they live and are being raised, will react. Will everyone in the US, which threw out the British monarchy, start referring to them as Prince Archie and Princess Lil'Bet?

by Anonymousreply 166June 26, 2021 11:34 PM

No R164 - that’s incorrect. The two Harkle offspring will become HRH Prince and HRH Princess at the moment of the Queen’s death, unless Letters Patent are issued beforehand denying them that right. That’s just how it works under the current rules as they’ll be grandchildren of the Sovereign (Charles).

Otherwise Letters Patent would have to be issued after the death of the Queen, removing their HRH Prince/ss style and title.

by Anonymousreply 167June 26, 2021 11:36 PM

Actually, he would have to issue Letters Patent to PREVENT them from automatically acquiring those titles as grandchildren of the monarch when Charles takes the throne. Or the Queen could do so, during her reign.

by Anonymousreply 168June 26, 2021 11:54 PM

Who is Neil Sean that makes videos on Harry & Meghan like 6 times a day?

by Anonymousreply 169June 27, 2021 12:12 AM

You're both right, r167 and r168. I got it backwards. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 170June 27, 2021 12:35 AM

R166, I’d imagine that none of their little friends will give a shit. And if they act snooty at their private school, they’ll get smacked down.

It’s not as if they’ll be going to some plebeian public school. The kids wherever they go will be offspring of VIPs, too.

by Anonymousreply 171June 27, 2021 1:12 AM

Ok, so someone better have the documents ready for the Queen to sign on her deathbed, or ready for a regent to sign.

by Anonymousreply 172June 27, 2021 1:14 AM

R171 Their status will be understood.

by Anonymousreply 173June 27, 2021 8:37 PM

r171, after the clown antics of their parents, those poor children don't stand a chance, ESPECIALLY in an American private school ... you obviously don't know how brutal private schools are, filled with spoiled and entitled offspring as they are ...

by Anonymousreply 174June 27, 2021 9:11 PM

Merchie and Merchibet will be busy making income for their parents. They won't have time for school.

by Anonymousreply 175June 27, 2021 9:14 PM

R174 Oh please with your “you obviously don’t understand.” To borrow a phrase from Jeremy Irons as Claus von Bulow, you have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 176June 27, 2021 9:57 PM

R174, actually, I do. Hence, my comment.

I can think of more impressive people than children of a self-exiled spare and D-list actress.

by Anonymousreply 177June 28, 2021 2:14 AM

Harry went right to the Queen when Meghan pointed out to him the problem with the title: "Gran, can you change it to the Earl of Smartarton instead, please?"

by Anonymousreply 178June 28, 2021 3:38 AM

Tina Brown wrote in The Diana Chronicles that the "of" makes it less than a title without "of." Is it possible that's what they objected to?

by Anonymousreply 179June 28, 2021 3:50 AM

I don’t think that they are that switched on, R179.

by Anonymousreply 180June 28, 2021 4:14 AM

[quote] Tina Brown wrote in The Diana Chronicles that the "of" makes it less than a title without "of."

That only matters with actual earldoms. This earldom is only a courtesy title. As soon as Harry dies, Archie succeeds to the title of Duke of Sussex, and that outweighs any earldom.

by Anonymousreply 181June 28, 2021 4:26 AM

Can someone clarify r178's post on how the "of" in a title apparently signifies a lower rank? I'm not aware of any titles lacking an "of".

by Anonymousreply 182June 28, 2021 4:31 AM

Earl Spencer, for one, R182.

by Anonymousreply 183June 28, 2021 4:33 AM

Ah- so titles that are based on family names do not have an "of". Hard to see how that sort of title would be more prestigious than a title of a place, especially since that is the format used for Life peers , ie the bottom of the barrel in terms of peerages.

by Anonymousreply 184June 28, 2021 4:50 AM

R179 I don’t think that’s true. Charles is Prince of Wales, Philip was Duke of Edinburgh.

by Anonymousreply 185June 28, 2021 8:14 AM

Wanna be the ruler of the galaxy Wanna be the king of the universe Let's meet and have a baby now! Wanna be the empress of fashion Wanna be the president of Moscow Let's meet and have a baby now!

NOW! NOW! NOW!

Lalalalalala

by Anonymousreply 186June 28, 2021 8:20 AM

Yes R185 but both Wales and Edinburgh are places. The Dukes and Earls without the “of” are usually named for their surname. I have NFI why there’s a difference, though - went down a bit of a rabbit hole in Debrett but then had to buy groceries.

by Anonymousreply 187June 28, 2021 9:53 AM

Because you can lose a place through war, plague or simple disfavor with the monarch. The family name hower is yours, no matter what life circumstances befall you.

by Anonymousreply 188June 28, 2021 12:33 PM

R161 - If TQ doesn't take care of that before she dies, she's making a huge mistake. Charles is way less popular than his son and heir, William, and William's wife, Kate.

Charles needs to start his reign with the most goodwill, and the least amount of conflict.

Leaving that burden to him, which may mean just letting the two vipers get what they want because push come to shove, Charles won't have the spine for it, would be the last huge mistake in a parental approach that has been disastrous over 70+ years.

She may have been a wonderful Sovereign and carried out her duties beyond reproach, but her hands-off, refusal to engage, refusal to get tough, refusal to order rather than suggest, have resulted in multiple hits to the monarchy she presumably has worked so hard to preserve.

Everyone has a blind spot, I suppose, mothers more than most. She should have disciplined Andrew, insisted that he drop Epstein as a friend ten years ago, told Charles she thought he was making a mistake marrying Diana and to wait a little longer for the right woman - so what if he waited till he was 36, it wasn't as if his biological clock was ticking - and she should have told Harry in no uncertain terms that Meghan was unsuited to royal life.

She should have taken his ducal title at the end of the first year.

She should issue those LPs now ensuring that Harry's kids don't get HRHs, and not leave it to Charles.

She should absolutely NOT under any circumstances make them jpart of the Jubilee celebrations, putting them on a footing with the people who did the heavy lifting and put in their time, like the Wessexes and the Cambridges.

If that's her plan, I hope she dies before the Jubilee can take off. Maybe, still in the flush of rage at what his younger son and his wife did to him after his generosity toward them, Charles will do the necessary whilst the Harkles' poll ratings in Britain are still in the toilet and British contempt for them is fresh.

I don't think she gets that they are like a cancer that has to be removed, or they'll spread. They are utterly without regret, compunction, or principle.

by Anonymousreply 189June 28, 2021 12:35 PM

I love Dumbarton (Oaks)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190June 28, 2021 12:48 PM

They are also malicious and treasonous, R189. The doc with surreptitious photos and secret recordings is yet to come, along with Finding Dollars 2.0 and Harry's memoirs. They are attempting to do as much damage to William and Charles as possible. Even the descriptions of their homes, said to be in FF, are a security concern.

They do not act like loving, trustworthy family members, look what they did to Philip! If the Queen capitulates I will believe that she is being blackmailed by the Gruesome Twosome and their backers. The money needs to be traced, not only the audits said to be ongoing in the UK, but the PR funding cannot be coming solely from the Harkles. They do not appear to be building a coherent brand with the millions spent, merely attempting to burn the future reigns of Charles and William to the ground.

I find it plausible that Megs said "we are one plane crash away from the throne" because her actions over time have been consistent with that sentiment, bullying her toddler niece to be, smearing her SIL to be through her mouthpiece Lainey, making secret recordings in the homes of Charles and the Cambridges, beginning before the wedding, by their own acknowledgement, they have a doc coming. They tormented Philip and the family as he was dying and both acted out to create a disruption and spectacle at his FUNERAL. They are openly attempting blackmail and extortion.

by Anonymousreply 191June 28, 2021 2:39 PM

I can't imagine why the Gruesome Twosome would be invited to the balcony at the Jubilee. It would be a slap in the face to family who has supported TQ and done their duty while the Harkles have spent their time whining and lying, and trying to extort more money.

by Anonymousreply 192June 28, 2021 2:48 PM

We need a good "Off with their heads" bellowed from the throne room!

by Anonymousreply 193June 28, 2021 2:57 PM

R164 - Wrong. Harry's children become HRHs automatically the moment the Queen dies in accordance with the 1917 Titles Act: the automatic HRH accrues automatically to grandchildren of the Sovereign in the male line. Harry's and William's children are GREAT-grandchildren of the Sovereign in the male line, UNLESS they are the children of the eldest son of the eldest son of the Sovereign Even so, the Queen had to issue LPs to ensure that William's kids had HRHs. That's why she issued those LPs for William's kids and NOT Harry's.

Once Charles becomes King, voila!, Harry's kids ARE now grandchildren, rather than great-grandchildren, of the Sovereign in the male line, and are automatically entitled to HRHs.

Charles, the new King, would have to issue those LPs AFTER becoming King, which would, as has been pointed out ad nauseam, mean taking something away from those kids AFTER they'd gotten it - not a great look and not a great way to start his reign.

That's why it's important for the Queen to issue LPs before she dies, sparing Charles an unnecessary and ugly conflict right out of the starting gate - if she issues the LPs, Harry's kids never get those HRHs in the first place, the 1917 Act has been amended, and probably ALSO mean that Charlotte's and Louis's children also won't get HRHs, only George's.

I expect TQ will do what she always does, dither, wait, cross her fingers, hope it all goes away without too much fuss, and leave the mess her dithering where her family are concerned created for someone else to clean up.

by Anonymousreply 194June 28, 2021 4:35 PM

IDK, "Duke Sussex" doesn't sound right to me - it needs the "of".

by Anonymousreply 195June 28, 2021 4:40 PM

TQ's years of dementia are approaching, at which time a regency is established. That is the time to issue the Letters Patent stripping Harry's kids of HRH, as it will be more of a grey area as to exactly who made the decision.

by Anonymousreply 196June 28, 2021 4:42 PM

Is there any way to strip Harry of his HRH princely status?

by Anonymousreply 197June 28, 2021 5:30 PM

R197 - She can take his HRH (and in fact apparently considered it when they first bailed), but, somewhat counterintuitively, she cannot take away his princely status. He was born with that. The rule is, she has the power to take away whatever she had the power to give. She is also the "Fount of All Honour".

Harry holds a royal dukedom, which automatically carries an HRH with it. So in a sense, he has two: the one he was born with, and the one that accompanied his more recent status as a royal duke (ordinary dukes are addressed as Your Grace; a royal duke is addressed as Your Royal Highness).

It's why there's always confusion about why Kate and Meghan aren't "princesses". In fact, they are: their status as royal duchesses carries the RANK of Princess of the United Kingdom, which is why Kate's occupation on her children's birth certificates is listed as Princess of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

If the Queen had not granted those ducal titles, Kate would be Princess William and Meghan would be Princess Henry. Those are a tad unwieldy and somewhat patriarchal sounding in modern times, so HRH Catherine Duchess of Cambridge and the same for Meghan as Duchess of Sussex works better.

Camilla, as HRH The Duchess of Cornwall also carries the rank of Princess of the United Kingdom etc., etc.

But Harry is a Prince of the Blood (born in, not married in) and removing that is getting into weeds that I imagine the Queen would rather have a root canal than wade into.

As it is, she has put use of the HRH in abeyance. If she took the ducal title, Harry could simply go on being Prince Harry in America but still not use the HRH.

But my guess is that if the Queen issued those Letters Patent that ensured that Harry's children would never be HRHs, he would surrender his own in a rage of solidarity with them. That's why I think it would be such a good tactic on the Palace's part - killing two birds with one stone, as it were. Deprive his kids of those HRHs and I believe it would push Harry over the edge to renounce his own, file for American citizenship, and get the whole thing over.

Before you ask, no, she cannot remove him from the line of succession. Only Parliament can change the Order of Succession. That power was wrested from the Sovereign because it proved to lethal a weapon down through history. See, e.g., The Lion in Winter, in which Henry II's four remaining sons battled each other for pole position in the succession causing quite a bit of bloodshed in the process. At that point in time, it was not settled that eldest get the throne, so it was a bit of a free for all. Later on, it became settled that it was all done by birth order, with males preceding females.

The Queen did away with male primogeniture, quietly and without mush fanfare, in the line of succession, with LPs as soon as Kate passed her first trimester with her first child. She should get more credit for it.

by Anonymousreply 198June 28, 2021 6:52 PM

^*too (not to) lethal a weapon . . .

before the Grammar Troll Oh Dears me.

by Anonymousreply 199June 28, 2021 6:54 PM

Thank you, R198. You're right, I was going to ask about H being removed from the line of succession.

Meghan's dream of a Cambridge plane crash would unleash a nightmare upon the country. I hope they are already flying separately.

by Anonymousreply 200June 28, 2021 6:58 PM

Perhaps the Queen could secretly sign Letters Patent and have them released with her will once she kicks it? That way she doesn't have to deal with the screaming from Montecito and Charles can say "Wuddn't me"

by Anonymousreply 201June 28, 2021 8:15 PM

I agree with you, R194, but...to avoid looking petty or vindictive against Harry, the Queen should also remove Beatrice and Eugenie's HRH. They seem to be loyal family members, and they'd understand the situation. They wouldn't really lose anything. They don't carry out royal duties anyway, and their dad is already responsible for their security. If the Queen did that, then Harry would have nothing to bitch about. But she has to do it NOW.

by Anonymousreply 202June 29, 2021 12:14 AM

“I hope she dies,” - kind of bad karma, R189.

by Anonymousreply 203June 29, 2021 12:30 AM

Surreptitious photos and secret recordings would be a crime against the State, R191. Serious stuff.

by Anonymousreply 204June 29, 2021 12:32 AM

R202 are you nuts? Bea and Euge ain’t giving up shit!

by Anonymousreply 205June 29, 2021 12:50 AM

R205, they would give it up if their granny asked nicely...and maybe they received a large cash gift.

by Anonymousreply 206June 29, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote] I agree with you, [R194], but...to avoid looking petty or vindictive against Harry, the Queen should also remove Beatrice and Eugenie's HRH.

Your opinion is noted, but one will in the end do exactly as one feels best.

by Anonymousreply 207June 29, 2021 1:00 AM

[quote] But my guess is that if the Queen issued those Letters Patent that ensured that Harry's children would never be HRHs, he would surrender his own in a rage of solidarity with them. That's why I think it would be such a good tactic on the Palace's part - killing two birds with one stone, as it were. Deprive his kids of those HRHs and I believe it would push Harry over the edge to renounce his own, file for American citizenship, and get the whole thing over.

I do NOT see this happening. What would be left to merch or promote? MeGAIN would NEVER allow that.

by Anonymousreply 208June 29, 2021 1:11 AM

Sorry, MeGAIN has no influence in that arena.

by Anonymousreply 209June 29, 2021 1:12 AM

Why are they trashing the very people they need money from? There's been no Spotify content like they promised in their 'special'. No sign of any Netflix content. They presumbly only get paid for what they produce.

Harry might have limited understanding of finance or how the real world works, but surely Meghan knows. Or does she just arrogantly assume she will succeed at whatever she does and will never need the safety net of the Royal ATM?

by Anonymousreply 210June 29, 2021 1:42 AM

That plus the fact that the PR bills are well beyond them makes me think they have backers, R210. They act like they have an alternative safety net. The Narkles are not paying tens of millions for PR, it seems very likely they have help.

by Anonymousreply 211June 29, 2021 1:44 AM

R211 was for R210, forgot to tag you

by Anonymousreply 212June 29, 2021 1:44 AM

But how long for? Once they start fading in obscurity (which they will) then how will they make money or pay for stuff like PR.

by Anonymousreply 213June 29, 2021 1:52 AM

There's only so much complaining people are going to be interested in and given that she was only on the scene for a hot minute, they WILL run out of interesting material. Already, people are getting tired of the 'dead mummy' story and the 'royals are racist, m'kay' once said, can only be elaborated on for some time before it's old news.

Why would big financial backers continue to fund them when nobody cares anymore. They still have to pay their bills somehow.

by Anonymousreply 214June 29, 2021 1:55 AM

Delusional Megs still wants to run for public office is one rumor. Supposedly she has had meetings. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 215June 29, 2021 2:06 AM

Which public office? Will she try to convince the President to make a new position in his cabinet for her as Secretary of Self-Care?

by Anonymousreply 216June 29, 2021 2:35 AM

(snicker) That's really funny R216.

Y'all have forgotten. Just Harry took an online course in production, so I'm sure he's developing content for their documentaries and such on a daily basis. Maybe not daily, possibly annually?

by Anonymousreply 217June 29, 2021 5:11 AM

R217, actually, I did forget that Harry took that course. Naturally, Meghan knows everything already, because she was on a show for 7 years (how on earth did she stock with it that long?!)

A family member is a TV producer. She minored in film, it’s all she ever wanted to do, and she worked her way up for 25 years. She’s fairly successful now, but Netflix isn’t handing her millions on spec. It has to be galling for everyone else in the business to read about these two being waved in and having money thrown at them for doing absolutely nothing. Everyone has to hustle their asses off and have a proven track record. You can have a flop as long as execs know that you have other attributes; hustle, good contacts, a good reputation.

I really think the Harkles will have to find another thing to try. They have failed at content production. Who’s going to gamble and lose on them now?

by Anonymousreply 218June 29, 2021 12:20 PM

I still can't believe they haven't produced a single podcast yet, seven months after that big buildup. It's not the kind of event that needs a long lead time or all that much planning. Just call up one of your famous friends, press record, have a conversation, do a little editing, voila. Am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 219June 29, 2021 6:21 PM

It's highly possible that many famous people are pulling a "I don't know them" to the Gruesome Twosome.

by Anonymousreply 220June 29, 2021 6:50 PM

Here's just one idea: How about someone like Amanda Gorman? Do a podcast with her. You're welcome, Harry and Meghan.

by Anonymousreply 221June 29, 2021 7:02 PM

What happened to the Stir the Pot - Part 3 thread?

by Anonymousreply 222June 30, 2021 1:19 AM

The KGT had it deleted, r222

by Anonymousreply 223June 30, 2021 1:22 AM

Well, let's cancel our subsciptions then ... why am I supposed to pay for a site that deletes innocuous threads because of some fucking Markle stan lunatics being a pain in the ass?

by Anonymousreply 224June 30, 2021 10:36 AM

R223- The KGT has no power to get anything deleted. There are just too fucking many threads and DLers show absolutely no discipline re trying to consolidate comments. There are at this point an archive of at least 100 threads on these two and the BRF. If the KGT has that kind of power, they would ALL have been deleted.

But the number of threads is infuriating even to those of us who enjoy discussing the topic. Trying to go back to the thread on which someone replied to you so you can reply back in itself is a task.

Ffs, stop opening threads on every little fake story the DM, the SUN, the MIRROR, the DE, or Radaronline publish.

by Anonymousreply 225June 30, 2021 12:48 PM

The KGT often starts new threads, particularly when another thread has been paywalled. That then often leads to other threads being nuked, more rarely, closed. It also makes homophobic or racist posts in an attempt to get threads closed. Do not engage, just block, as Muriel recommends.

by Anonymousreply 226June 30, 2021 1:13 PM

Harry decided to turn up at the last minute to an event by a kids charity he's a patron of, and so the poor charity had to "move heaven and earth" to accommodate him and his needs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227June 30, 2021 3:43 PM

R222, a Part 3 (redux) has been added to “Harry & Meghan Stir the Pot”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228June 30, 2021 3:55 PM

r225 New threads are started because the old ones are typically stopped dead in their tracks well before the 600 mark. That's just the way the site works at the moment. Take it up with M.

Meanwhile, People interested in this subject would LOVE to have the old "BRF Gossip" thread series or the "Dangling Tendrils" series of centralized threads back, but after KGT and the Celebitchy cancel crew showed up, both were roundly cancelled, leading to decentralized threads on smaller subjects.

Again, KGT caused this, and now KGT is complaining about it? KGT's goal is that we not be able to talk at ALL about one of the most popular topics on this site. It might be better all round if it was KGT & co who were booted, rather than popular topic threads. Then we can go back to having one or two mega threads at a time and be done with it and everyone will be happy.

by Anonymousreply 229June 30, 2021 3:56 PM

^ Despite the whinging of “too many threads” on the Dastardly Duo. Those whining on that should learn to sort, research, and discern better.

by Anonymousreply 230June 30, 2021 3:56 PM

Thanks, R228.

by Anonymousreply 231June 30, 2021 4:22 PM

I thought Haz's patronages were ended?

by Anonymousreply 232June 30, 2021 6:25 PM

These is a little charity thing r232, not an official royal patronage of an official/national organisation.

In any case, even Harry's little charity patronages will soon dwindle away.

by Anonymousreply 233June 30, 2021 7:30 PM

Ed Sheeran gets around.

by Anonymousreply 234June 30, 2021 7:45 PM

Interesting to see Sheeran and Beckham and Ellie G are all on team William now. They were all once Harkle people.

by Anonymousreply 235June 30, 2021 8:35 PM

Harry's just pandering to the cameras in that charity visit. Trying to get back a drop of royal caché. Was his own media in tow or was it palace rota?

by Anonymousreply 236June 30, 2021 10:34 PM

Maybe he could mention himself and his kids a few more times in upcoming speeches. "Now that I'm a dad"... not that I believe he is the world's bestest and most woke father after two years. Sometimes it way more effective to shut up and just listen.

by Anonymousreply 237July 1, 2021 1:00 AM

I believe they declared they would not work with the rota reporters. But, they say a lot of stuff, so, who knows?

Harry sounds like a narc, just like his wife. MEMEMEMEMEME.

by Anonymousreply 238July 1, 2021 1:33 AM

They weren't ever on any "team", r235.

by Anonymousreply 239July 1, 2021 4:24 AM

The members of the public at the WellChild event all look a bit stiff and uncomfortable talking to Harry. At similar events with William, everyone is relaxed and laughing.

by Anonymousreply 240July 1, 2021 8:59 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 1, 2021 9:04 AM

More on the patronages Harry and Meghan lost and the private patronages he retained.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 1, 2021 9:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!