Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I wonder if ‘to go’ cocktails are going to stick around.

I’m really enjoying getting cocktails with my meals to take home. I had a skinny margarita tonight with my cheese enchilada carry out meal. It’s a little odd that they consider it OK, because of open container laws. They literally put Saran Wrap over the lid. Also, I’m not sure why anyone would pay the high markup on a bottle of wine for carry out.

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2021 11:12 PM

Fat lush thread.

by Anonymousreply 1June 24, 2021 12:24 AM

They just ended this in NYC. I understand why, but a year ago, it was really fun to wander around with a cup and sit in a public place and chill. There’s a little plaza near me where everyone would get go-cups or stand around and just enjoy life.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2021 12:34 AM

Every drink is a to-go drink if you have a paper bag or empty soda cup.

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2021 3:19 AM

Nope r3. I found this out the hard way in the Minneapolis airport. I was traveling for work, and poured what was left of my $14 cocktail into a water bottle, so that I could make it to the gate on time. Bitchy waitress ratted me out, and I was stopped on the way to the gate by airport security. I even tipped her 30%. Fucking Karen…I assume that her husband left her for a man so she hates all gay men.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2021 3:37 AM

[quote]R4 It’s a little odd that they consider it OK, because of open container laws.

I work as a personal assistant and have to get these for my boss with lunch and dinner orders. (Usually a margarita.)

I put it in the trunk for the ride back.

by Anonymousreply 5June 24, 2021 3:56 AM

R4

I guess they would've preferred you slam that cocktail back so you could get on the plane shitfaced.

by Anonymousreply 6June 24, 2021 4:05 AM

R4 being wheeled through the airport.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2021 4:09 AM

I found this article on CNN today. Some states have extended to go cocktails until 2025, while others are stopping already (NY). It seems really shitty to the already struggling restaurant owners, especially in the summer. I am looking forward to getting cocktails and a nice meal, and eating in the park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2021 3:09 PM

[quote] I wonder if 'to go' cocktails are going to stick around.

Probably not. The government hates freedom.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2021 3:50 PM

Time to load up on minis. They're everywhere, easily hidden, way less pricey and make any juice or soda a fantastic beverage!

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2021 3:58 PM

[quote] I had a skinny margarita tonight with my cheese enchilada carry out meal.

Nothing you have is skinny.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2021 4:05 PM

It’s not the drink itself but the liability behind it.

As an operator or server, it becomes more difficult to spot a drunk that’s been nursing one of these to go drinks all day and publicly imbibing invites all sorts of bad behavior that goes along with it as well.

The truth is families and lawyers won’t hesitate to sue when something goes wrong and to go drinks blur who is responsible for serving it.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote] and to go drinks blur who is responsible for serving it.

Are you drinking now? To-go or otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2021 4:24 PM

Hospitalizations due to alcohol-related health problems sky-rocketed during the pandemic across the US. Extending this order will only exacerbate all the health problems that have already put a strain on our health care system.

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2021 4:24 PM

Link?

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2021 4:25 PM

R12, I have noticed that some restaurants limit to go cocktails to 2 per ID shown. Other places will give you en entire fifth of booze and mixers. It shouldn’t be that much different than buying a fifth at the liquor store. You are theoretically bringing it home to drink, just like if it were purchased at the store.

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2021 6:31 PM

Sho convenient and time-shaving!

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2021 6:38 PM

R13, restaurants and bars have different laws, restrictions and insurance coverage than a liquor store. You also cannot guarantee a to go drink wouldn’t wind up with a minor. The general intention of a liquor license is for drinks poured, measured and consumed inside of an establishment and protocols overseen by management, not transported outside where there’s less control but now has the indentical liability- this was lifted during COVID but isn’t necessary anymore. It assigns responsibility a lot more blurry legally than if you had bought a sealed drink from a liquor store.

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2021 8:59 PM

I hate these stupid, old laws of not allowing open containers. If you're walking around any major city and not causing trouble, what's the big deal? Even beaches...why the fuck can't you sit in the sand and enjoy a beer or mixed drink? If you get caught drinking and driving you're fucked anyway. If you're being responsible, why should it matter?

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2021 10:11 PM

[quote] Hospitalizations due to alcohol-related health problems sky-rocketed during the pandemic across the US.]

I would not be surprised if this were true. People in general just did not react to the lockdowns well on the whole and this not just MANGA’s.

[quote]Extending this order will only exacerbate all the health problems that have already put a strain on our health care system

This conclusion I believe is wrong however.

Most (but of course not all) hard core drinkers (and I consider myself medium core) always have money to consider. No one is going to a bar/restaurant and paying for a $12 jack and coke to go 8 times a day (or even in a 2-3 hour period). I’m not saying some don’t sit in a bar and drink 8 jack and cokes (I have), but to get one, leave, drink it, and then go back and get another?

It is too inconvenient and expensive. People who have health problems from drinking will just buy the 1.5 liter of Jim Beam, go home (or carry it around with them) and get plastered.

I do kind of wonder about people sipping these drinks in their cars not he way home from work, but even then.

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2021 10:33 PM

Fourteen year olds were getting it delivered to Carson Beach at night in South Boston. A fracas resulted.

Not sure how long MA will continue allowing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2021 10:34 PM

Texas made it permanently legal. We already had a few drive thru daiquiri places but now there's a ton of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2021 10:37 PM

California has made it permanent but a San Francisco Lyft driver told me a tale of police cracking down on passengers with open containers in cars (i.e. citing drivers for having passengers with open containers in cars).

by Anonymousreply 23June 27, 2021 10:45 PM

R22 Well finally Gov Hot Wheels Abbott did one thing right!

by Anonymousreply 24June 27, 2021 11:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!