Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Albert Einstein did not fail mathematics classes

He never "flunked a math exam" in school. Upon seeing a column making this claim, Einstein said "I never failed in mathematics.

Before I was fifteen I had mastered differential and integral calculus."

Einstein did, however, fail his first entrance exam into the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School (ETH) in 1895, when he was two years younger than his fellow students, but scored exceedingly well in the mathematics and science sections, then passed on his second attempt.

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2021 1:19 AM

But it's still true that he underachieved in college:

[Quote]In college, Einstein often struggled in math, getting 5s and 6s (out of a possible 6) in physics, but getting only 4s in most of his math courses (barely a passing grade). His mathematics professor, and future collaborator, Hermann Minkowski called him a “lazy dog” and physics professor, Jean Pernet, even flunked Einstein with a score of 1 in an experimental physics course.

[Quote]At the end of college, Einstein had the dubious distinction of graduating as the second-to-worst student in the class.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2021 8:48 PM

Einstein invented gravity.

by Anonymousreply 2June 24, 2021 6:24 PM

r2 I don't know if that was meant as a joke; but generally I would say: and?

by Anonymousreply 3June 24, 2021 6:52 PM

You don’t need a university education to be a genius…it is more likely that university bored Einstein because he obviously had ideas about time and space that they hadn’t even pondered or even consider.

by Anonymousreply 4June 24, 2021 7:20 PM

There's no evidence Einstein had any such ideas when he was in college.

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2021 1:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!