Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Napoleon Bonaparte was not short.

He was actually slightly taller than the average Frenchman of his time.

After his death in 1821, the French emperor's height was recorded as 5 feet 2 inches in French feet, which in English measurements is 5 feet 7 inches (1.70 m).

He was actually nicknamed le Petit Caporal (The Little Corporal) as a term of endearment.

Napoleon was often accompanied by his imperial guard, who were selected for their height and this may have contributed to a perception that he was comparatively short.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2021 6:47 PM

That's nice. Was he a big-cock top or not?

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2021 2:47 PM

Most hot French men I met were short, about 172-175 cm tall, but all of them sported massive, unmutilated dong.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2021 2:49 PM

but he did have fleas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2021 3:00 PM

So stop comparing me!!

I AM standing up!

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2021 3:06 PM

Sizemeat verificatiae

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2021 3:16 PM

r2

what's that in REAL measurements?

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2021 5:15 PM

I saw his gray coat that he wore to Russia. Man...that coat was something else. A simple gray coat where you could see he wasn't too short or too tall. Also, his horse is stuffed. His pajamas are there as well as a funny-looking skull cap he ALWAYS wore when he went to bed regardless of anything. My grandfather said his parents used to make him wear a night cap when he went to bed as a kid in Germany. Just how they thought you would prevent a head cold.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2021 5:37 PM

OP, it seems you have some sort of complex.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2021 10:31 PM

Judging from his clothes I've seen displayed at various museums he was much shorter than 5'7".

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 11:21 PM

Napoleon Bonespurs is not short, either.

He's at least 14 feet wide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2021 11:33 PM

Not tonight, Josephine.

In an army's strength therein lies the denouement. But from here, you're haunting me. By the Seine so beautiful, only not to be of use.

Impossible.

So strange, victory.

1,200 spires, the only sound, moscow burning. Empty like the Tuileries.

Like a dream Vienna seems, only not to be of use—impossible.

In the last extremity, to advance or not to advance.

I hear you laughing. Even still you're calling me:

"Not tonight, not tonight, not tonight"

Josephine

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2021 11:59 PM

R9 - precisely what we thought when we went to Paris in 2019 and saw the coat. He wasn't close to my height (six one) and was closer to my roommate's height (five six). But in general people seemed smaller then.

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2021 8:30 AM

Why did he always have his hand stuck in his waistcoat, couldn't he have just worn gloves?

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 8:44 AM

^ According to r3 he had fleas so he was probably scratching himself

by Anonymousreply 14June 24, 2021 8:51 AM

Napoléon was 169 cm when he died when the average French men were 165 cm.

But his personal guards were minimum 170 Both his close guards and his generals were wearing higher hats making him look smaller.

Petit caporal is a term of endearment, "petit" taken in the acception of "young".

Then you have the British propaganda by cartoonists James Gillray...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2021 8:53 AM

He probably smelled tho.

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2021 9:13 AM

R16 - all of Paris smells honey. We stayed at a place called "Hotel Splendide Etoile" with a view of the Arc D'Triumph and, after four hours of walking around in July in Paris, my roommate would run back for a shower and a night of shopping. I am ashamed to admit I didn't and hit the bars instead but even the best ones had bathrooms that smelled like the subway. The main compromise I had to make sharing a suite like that (I mean pre-pandemic it was 500 bucks a night so it was cheaper to split the cost) was leaving shoes at the door and rubbing down the phone with isopropyl alcohol. But really, you do step in urine on the subway and touch some funky handlebars so it made sense.

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2021 9:28 AM

R11, I adore that song. My favourite from To Venus and Back.

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2021 10:04 AM

Similarly, if we're talking about "things we think we know but are wrong about" when it comes to the French, it's actually a fact that historically they have been much more belligerent, starting more wars and also WINNING them, than the stereotype of them surrendering and running away would have us believe.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2021 10:06 AM

The Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA is bigger than the Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2021 10:11 AM

I like the idea of an Imperial Guard.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2021 10:12 AM

R21 is The Donald. Emperor of the French Fries.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2021 10:15 AM

They're coming to take me away HA HA

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2021 6:15 PM

If humanity's upward trend continues, might people start to grow so tall they have health problems? I'm 6'4" and my blood barely touches my extremities... I can't imagine how the 8ft tall freaks of the future will survive

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2021 6:45 PM

OP = Pete Buttigieg.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2021 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!