Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Britain’s New Entry in Conservative Media Is Off to a Splashy, but Shaky, Start

Advertiser boycotts, dropped microphones and prank calls bedeviled GB News, but its evening talk show drew higher ratings than competitors on the BBC and Sky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 9, 2023 12:16 PM

Does that mean no more BLM in UK?

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2021 10:59 AM

Nope R1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2021 11:26 AM

I wonder what Murdoch’s will be like next.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2021 5:06 PM

[quote] but its evening talk show drew higher ratings than competitors on the BBC and Sky.

Except they aren't competitors, in that BBC News and Sky News are actual rolling news channels, whereas GB News is an opinion channel. And even then - if the evening show is outdrawing BBC and Sky - I note there's no source in the NYT article to back up that claim - is that meant to be impressive? That they're outdrawing rolling news channels at 8pm?

It still looks awful. The only interesting thing about it is how their political correspondent's nudes are all over the web, including him being locked in a chastity cage and showing off his gaping hole.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2021 5:17 PM

R3 Murdoch dropped his plans a few months ago, instead they're going to focus on YouTube. The fact not even Murdoch decided to give this a go should be a good marker of how much viability this concept has

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2021 5:18 PM

I don't know much about the channel but I was genuinely shocked to read this, especially as everything else I've read about it only talks about how many tech problems they've been having.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2021 5:26 PM

R6 What's shocking, exactly? Again, who's watching rolling news at 8pm on a Sunday when there's no breaking news? So the fact their launch night beat the BBC and Sky news channels isn't shocking. They peaked at 336,000 but then lost around 200,000 viewers over the hour.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2021 5:32 PM

r7, Are you seriously saying that it is not shocking to you that some no-name righty news channel outstripped BOTH Sky and the BBC? Even if it was just on launch night, I find that fairly alarming.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2021 5:44 PM

Exactly how many people do you think usually watch news channels on a Sunday evening?

Sounds more like you find it "concerning" rather than alarming.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 5:55 PM

I don't understand why a right-wing news channel needs to be in the UK. They've already got all the major newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2021 5:55 PM

You bothered to respond to me to tell me I find it "more concerning rather than alarming"? Seems like a distinction without a difference, but you do you, r9.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2021 6:12 PM

There's no market in the UK for rolling news.

The BBC are able to keep their channel afloat because they already have the newsroom infrastructure in place, licence fee money, and a public service remit, while Sky News has been operating at a loss for decades but is kept as a status symbol for the Sky brand. The last time another news channel tried to compete (ITV News), it haemorrhaged money and was replaced by a children's channel - and that was in a far less competitive environment.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2021 6:25 PM

It is quite known that there is an even larger proportional market of deplorables in the UK than in the US. And they vote even more against their own interests. Happy Brexitversary!

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2021 6:32 PM

Britain is Trump Town now.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2021 7:57 PM

Did you read the financial backer of this news channel is Discovery. Yes, the channel that owns OWN, HGTV, Food Network and the deplorable Magnolia Network. They recently acquired CNN through a deal with ATT. The right-wingers are infiltrating media and we are doomed!

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2021 8:16 PM

This is scary. Does the UK have laws that separate news from opinion - like the US used to have until it was ruled unconstitutional ? This is the cause of the majority of our problems in US - making “news” into opinion allowed Fox to certify their channel as “news” and convince half the country that the propaganda they are watching is factual information.

Beware UK - don’t underestimate the desire for people to listen to an echo chamber all day every day. It destroys democracy.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2021 8:21 PM

[quote] GB News tweeted its own figures, which it said were based on Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board (Barb) data, trumpeting a 1.1% audience share over the 7pm to 11pm period, versus 0.9% for BBC News and 0.4% for Sky. However, the ratings of all news channels on Sunday were dwarfed by those of the main channels, with BBC News at Ten commanding a 30.6% audience share.

The BBC still won for most watched news report of the night so I doubt they're overly worried

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2021 9:40 PM

R16 They're skirting very close to the edge with the rules in place, and by my reading I'd say they've broken them, but I'm not an expert. I've linked to the rules if anyone's interested.

There's a couple of issues here. One is that they want to seem like martyrs, so if Ofcom do act and try and enforce the rules, it likely helps them with that "oh look how persecuted we are" bullshit. The second is the Tory government is trying to put Paul Dacre in charge of Ofcom. Dacre is the former editor of the Daily Mail. So the question then is, how likely is it that Ofcom, under him, would enforce those rules at all?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2021 10:46 AM

[quote] Sky News has been operating at a loss for decades but is kept as a status symbol for the Sky brand.

Sky Sports’ extortionate subscriptions are what’s propping up the rest of the network. Hopefully the recent outcry re. Super League Football is getting U.K. punters to see sense and stop giving money to these leeches.

Isn’t Sky owned by ComCast now, though, and not Murdoch himself, though?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2021 10:59 AM

Yes, Comcast now own Sky

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2021 10:59 AM

R15 Discovery also recently purchased one of NZ's main tv channels. Will be interesting to see what influence comes of it,

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2021 11:00 AM

I bet the lesbians are loving sultry Inaya on GB News

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2021 11:59 AM

[quote] Does the UK have laws that separate news from opinion - like the US used to have until it was ruled unconstitutional ?

How could The Washington Post fill up its pages if it had to ditch all their wacky opinion pieces?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2021 12:07 PM

Does "conservative" mean any network that is not fully woke and doesn't gleefully embrace CRT?

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2021 12:21 PM

It's now down to 32,000 viewers.

by Anonymousreply 25June 27, 2021 4:08 PM

More amusingly its flagship is getting less viewers than Pawpatrol... Dubbed in Welsh. I think predictions that the channel would would galvanise the British rightwing into turning into gun toting republics may have been an overreaction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 27, 2021 4:53 PM

Isn't this Andrew person rumored to be a closet case?

by Anonymousreply 27June 27, 2021 4:55 PM

“Buy my books” at R23. Grifter. What a sad society we live in today. Where’s an asteroid??

by Anonymousreply 28June 27, 2021 5:11 PM

Why is this a surprise? White Britons have always been racist assholes. We can at least use the excuse that Trump won because of the electoral college NOT because the majority of voters supported him or the Republican party. That rancid shit Boris Johnson is PM because the Brits are prejudiced assholes who never really accepted POC into society which is why those POC isolated themselves. Europe as a whole has always been provincial in their thinking. An Obama could never win there. They'd rather a buffoon like Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 29June 27, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote[ Where’s an asteroid??

Look in your head. It seems to be full of rocks.

by Anonymousreply 30June 27, 2021 5:35 PM

R29 The Tories got a smaller share of the vote than Trump did, and Boris was selected by the party not the people. What the fuck are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 31June 27, 2021 5:36 PM

Fucking Boris insulted most of Britain, but the WANKERS in London voted him for their Mayor. Otherwise he may have been politically finished.

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2021 5:46 PM

r32 I blame Have I got News For You tbh. They made the country think he was OK, and gave him a mass audience he never got as an unknown backbencher. I honestly think in some ways you can trace Brexit back to Angus Deayton doing a line of coke with a hooker.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2021 5:56 PM

r29, screw you too. Try living in a town that relied on a particular industry, where schools funnel you into those jobs and the fucking tories close it all down because you have the cheek to ask for a pay rise and they can buy it cheep from wherever.

Go back to Heath and the Tories taking us in to the EEC. Was he giving a shit about UK workers? Cheap imported labour mate ,exploiting labour from poorer EEC nations. That's why France didn't want us to join, they knew our labour force was against it.

Fucking Capitalist press ran a major campaign to win the retrospective EEC vote,but you can bet damn fine many of us who were pro workers have campaigned for years against it .

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2021 6:10 PM

[quote] The only interesting thing about it is how their political correspondent's nudes are all over the web

Which one? Is he hot?

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2021 6:24 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2021 6:31 PM

Is it this guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2021 6:38 PM

R37 Yep

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2021 7:43 PM

Headlines say ratings have plummeted. Perhaps they should have that correspondent present hole.

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2021 11:19 PM

R4 I wanna see!

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2021 11:31 PM

It’s good this is failing. Right wing newspapers- especially the Daily Mail- which is the most popular website in the world- are totally pro Boris and the Tories. They were totally for Brexit. Brexit has destroyed the UKs economy. But I don’t see labor Getting in anytime soon. Boris is corrupt, we all know this. But here we are. And we are not getting out of ot anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2021 11:52 PM

[quote] Brexit has destroyed the UKs economy

R41 But have you been personally affected in your job? I assume you have a job.

by Anonymousreply 42July 1, 2021 12:45 AM

That's not how you spell Labour, R41. A British person would know that.

by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2021 6:25 AM

R43 Americans love imposing their ignorance onto Britons.

by Anonymousreply 44July 1, 2021 6:27 AM

The people who watch it live in an echo chamber with other cranks and bigots. They have no curiosity about other perspectives because it would challenge their tiny minds.

by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2021 6:32 AM

R45 No different to those who consume the Beeb and Der Gaudrian.

by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2021 6:41 AM

R46, it's spelled Grauniad.

by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2021 6:44 AM

R47 Yours is the London spelling. Mine's Mancunian.

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2021 6:47 AM

The core principles of this new channel seem to be: Britain and its history are great, woke is bad. OK, but the BBC literally bent over backwards to accommodate this viewpoint, handing guest slot after guest slot to people like Laurence Fox, Nigel Farage, David Starkey, and keeping Andrew Neil, Piers Morgan, and any number of Tories on their reporting payroll. These people were built up into media figures to a far greater extent than any comparable figure on the left, and UKIP in particular benefited a great deal electorally. And yet still not enough, apparently?

I'm actually surprised it seems to be doing so poorly. I wouldn't write it off yet, it will play very well to various English demographics.

by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2021 7:03 AM

[quote]handing guest slot after guest slot to people like Laurence Fox, Nigel Farage, David Starkey, and keeping Andrew Neil, Piers Morgan, and any number of Tories on their reporting payroll.

That's not balance, that's being seen to be balanced, so that they can't be accused of lack of balance. The Times and Beeb do the same. 10 min of Morgan, hours of Corbyn. 10 min of Neil, hours of etc.

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2021 7:10 AM

R27, He has always taken great pains to present himself as a dedicated pussyhound. The former Miss India and part time whore Pamella Bordes springs to mind.

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2021 7:16 AM

[quote] it will play very well to various English demographics

I don't think some of you people have ever left the house. White van man who votes Tory to stick it to Europe isn't interested in 24 hour news. He wants Love Island, Tipping Point and to get his rightwing bullshit from his morning delivery of the Daily Mail and Mike on Facebook. There is no audience or demographic in this country that cares about 24 hour rolling news, and even if historically there had been one The culture war and audience for that type of thing has long since shifted online.

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2021 7:22 AM

loooooool.

With the exception of Paul Mason, I'm not sure a single senior political or economics editor on the BBC is a confirmed Labour supporter.

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2021 8:40 AM

R53 English TV newsreaders seem to to have odd views about what 'impartiality' is supposed to mean.

Of course, the old guy was swept away with all the excitement of being surrounded by nubile young women in bikinis and young men full of testosterone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2021 8:58 AM

That's Jon Snow from Channel 4. There's absolutely no doubt Channel 4 News is the most leftwing broadcast on mainstream TV. I don't think there's anyone of his calibre at the BBC now (and Snow will be sadly missed: Cathy Newman and Krishnan Guru-Murthy don't quite cut it).

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2021 9:05 AM

The people in front of the camera are news performers. They didn't write the copy they are reading nor did they decide its content. Content decisions are made by the editor in consultation with the publisher/senior board members. Of course a far better performance is obtained if what the performer reads is consistent with his world view.

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2021 9:07 AM

The pictures of Tom Harwood's blown-out asshole get a bigger audience online than his employer does in broadcast ratings.

How a 24-year-old managed to get his hole in that state ... I shudder to think.

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2021 9:16 AM

[quote] performance

R56 Your use of the word 'performance' suggests that it's all acting and fakery.

I think sensible men seek their own news online rather than pay attention to 'stories' 'performed' by well-groomed puppets on untrustworthy TV shows which are more interested in info-tainment than reliable fact.

by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2021 9:28 AM

R58 Of course it's an act and fakery. Reading news in a dry, dull monotone went out 40 years ago. Now it's happy smiles for the good feeliing stories and somber frowns for those more serious stories, such as wars and murders.

All media is untrustworthy and indoctrination. "Realiable" and "fact" are solely according to the personal outlook of the consumer.

by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2021 9:35 AM

I've watched it a few times. It's not as lifeless as Sky or as establishment as BBC and certainly not as accomplished as both. It's remarkable only for how horrible it looks, terrible/weird lighting, set design. The content is mundane. Banal. The fuss on Twitter, the advertising boycott, the slating it gets in the Guardian (after only a few hours on air) was far more interesting than the thing itself. Reading Twitter the night it launched, you'd almost think Hitler and Goebbels were now broadcasting live on their new tv channel. On your tv!

It's not awful. It's certainly not good. It's just sort of.....whatever.

by Anonymousreply 60July 1, 2021 9:39 AM

[quote]but the BBC literally bent over backwards to accommodate this viewpoint

Bitch, please. It's done nothing of the kind. Even your sampling is wrong. Starkey hasn't appeared on the BBC in years and never touched politics. Morgan appeared on ITV. Fox would have had 15 minutes tops, and Farage about 30 minutes. Contrast this with 24/7 intensely filtered news to align with a predetermined agenda. Even my Nan doesn't trust the BBC anymore.

by Anonymousreply 61July 1, 2021 10:07 AM

You've never lived in the UK, have you?

There's this little thing called 'Question Time' you need to get acquainted with. Ask your Nan about it.

by Anonymousreply 62July 1, 2021 10:21 AM

r62 The show where rightwingers scream the panel is biased while lefwingers scream the audience is biased which overall combines to make it unwatchable?

by Anonymousreply 63July 1, 2021 10:30 AM

R62 The show where leftwingers scream the panel is biased while the rightwingers scream the audience is biased which overall combines to make it only occasionally watchable.

by Anonymousreply 64July 1, 2021 10:41 AM

Why do they copy everything America does? We have Faux News, so they had to have their own version.🙄

by Anonymousreply 65July 1, 2021 10:56 AM

R63 R64 I'm pleased the show appears to be growing on you.

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2021 11:24 AM

[quote]They didn't write the copy they are reading nor did they decide its content.

Actually you're wrong. The hosts of the major bulletins do play an editorial role and do write their own scripts.

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2021 12:34 PM

R65 They’re an American vassal state

by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2021 12:47 PM

I misspelt a couple of things in my post as do it on my phone. I am British/Australian. Lived in London for over 20 years so I guess I don’t get the nuance right? Brexit is dumb. Boris said it himself before he saw it as an opportunity for power. Anyways

by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2021 1:01 PM

These won't last, but if anyone does want to see Tom's gaping hole...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 9, 2021 7:52 PM

Since Tom seems to like toys, I think we can assume he's wearing a big butt plug while doing the broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 71July 9, 2021 8:35 PM

And a cage, of course

by Anonymousreply 72July 9, 2021 9:29 PM

To boost ratings, maybe they should have Tom wear one of those interactive, app-controlled butt plugs during his broadcast and let viewers who send tips shock him with vibrations.

by Anonymousreply 73July 9, 2021 9:54 PM

I've always found Tom Harwood to be argumentative, even when he's shown he has his facts wrong (Tom, are you here? Look for a man with a sneer on his face and a butt plug up his ass--Joan Rivers). Actually, given his sneering, scowling, condescending manner, I thought surely he'd be a nasty dom top, but life is full of surprises.

by Anonymousreply 74July 10, 2021 7:33 AM

I trust his face.

by Anonymousreply 75July 10, 2021 9:02 AM

R74 Well, those pics were taken when he was at university, or around that time. Rumour is he's now at least claiming to be a top, so you may well be right. Maybe he has Darren Grimes locked up now.

by Anonymousreply 76July 10, 2021 9:54 AM

Does he let Andrew Neil fuck him?

by Anonymousreply 77July 10, 2021 9:59 AM

R75 I think his face is quite nice when he’s not arguing with people on TV. I’ve been surprised that someone in TV production hasn’t helped him work on not looking so nasty when he’s arguing with people. Or maybe they like that about him in this age of Piers Morgan.

by Anonymousreply 78July 10, 2021 10:19 AM

Andrew Neil has infamously been made a fool of by Private Eye for being involved with a female escort who was involved with several other high profile men at the same time. I wonder if they were hinting she might have been a spy.

by Anonymousreply 79July 10, 2021 10:52 AM

R76 Well, Grimes recently said he’d take any bugger with a pulse at this point, so you could be right. Gay Tories certainly are getting more prominence in the British media than Log Cabin gay Republicans do in the States, where they are so universally reviled by the rest of the gay community that they can’t get much media attention.

by Anonymousreply 80July 10, 2021 11:00 AM

Gay rights is such a settled issue in the UK now that only a bunch of pearl clutchers are obsessed about economically right wing people being bum boys.

The Tories have 25 openly gay male MPs - 7% of Tory MPs. They include sex pest Nigel Evans, big dinners enthusiast Gary Sambrook and sex pest Rob Roberts, currently banned from Westminster.

Labour have 21 openly "LGBT" MPs, which includes a bi woman in a heterosexual marriage and a queer vegan currently absent from her role because of PTSD. They make up 10% of Labour MPs.

The Lib Dems just have Layla Moran, a pansexual woman of Palestinian heritage who can tell a person's gender by looking into their soul.

The SNP have 9 openly gay MPs - 20% of their total, including Alyn Smith, who defended his younger boyfriend calling Somalis cunts, creepy fat necked John Nicolson and warring lesbians Joanna Cherry and Mhairi Black

by Anonymousreply 81July 10, 2021 11:38 AM

R79 Whatever do you mean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 10, 2021 11:40 AM

GB News doesn't seem to be doing well. Not only have viewers dropped a lot but the rating agency Barb says that some of their broadcasts have attracted zero viewers. Andrew Neil buggered off to his home in France after just two weeks and hasn't tweeted any GB News content since July 6th.

They are also struggling with whether they're a truly 'free speech' news channel or have to appease the racists. Guto Harri on the show 'took the knee' in solidarity with footballers which GB News initially stood behind but then they recanted, saying it was 'an unacceptable breach of our standards'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 16, 2021 4:43 AM

[quote] I don't understand why a right-wing news channel needs to be in the UK. They've already got all the major newspapers.

The conservative idiots aren't big on reading. That's why Murdoch is concentrating to YouTube. A large majority of American idiots get their news from YouTube. trump told them fox was biased. They all got their anti-vaccine, anti-covid lies from YouTube. It doesn't factcheck. Facebook does

by Anonymousreply 84July 16, 2021 4:51 AM

That recurring joke never gets old, R82!

Here's a refresh on the woman, Pamela Chaudry Singh, also known as Pamella Bordes, who won the Miss India crown in 1982:

[quote]"In the late 1980s Singh worked in a brothel which had provided one of British publicist Max Clifford's clients with various services. Clifford asked the madam to reveal details of her girls and clients, and found that one prostitute, Pamella Bordes, was simultaneously dating Andrew Neil (then editor of The Sunday Times), Donald Trelford (then editor of The Observer), Conservative minister for sport Colin Moynihan, and billionaire arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi. Clifford rang News of the World editor Patsy Chapman and drip-fed her the story of Bordes through the investigative reporter she was using on the madam. The story was published in March 1989 under the headline "Call Girl Works in Commons", since it was discovered she had a House of Commons security pass arranged by MPs David Shaw and Henry Bellingham"

by Anonymousreply 85July 16, 2021 5:03 AM

But, R85, has that man's private life lessened his credibility when you watch GN News?

by Anonymousreply 86July 16, 2021 6:10 AM

^ **GB News**

by Anonymousreply 87July 16, 2021 6:17 AM

R86, I think it's amusing and interesting, that's all (and I don't watch GB News). But since you've asked, I do a bit.. it's not the best judgment.

by Anonymousreply 88July 16, 2021 6:17 AM

So far Neil's judgement with regard to GB News doesn't seem good either. Why is he in France? A new channel is obviously going to be tough to establish and he's one of the stars. He should be over there working at it. It feels like it didn't go well at first with all the technical problems so he easily threw in the towel somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 89July 16, 2021 6:21 AM

I wonder how this thread has reached 89 posts when no one here will admit to watching any of it.

I watch some on Youtube but haven't seen anything as amusing as this hilarious Dianne Abbott fiasco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 16, 2021 6:36 AM

R90, right now it's that I'm enjoying what looks like good odds to be a trainwreck.

Some are concerned about a new Fox News-like channel getting traction - the channel that probably did most to prime America to get a President Trump.

by Anonymousreply 91July 16, 2021 6:41 AM

Diane Abbott would be wise to lay off the afternoon mojitos when she's got an evening interview lined up.

Andrew Neil is quite a strange figure. He really is one of the best interviewers in the UK and is able to put aside any bias and political preference he has when challenging a politician, yet he's allowed himself to become associated with this shite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 16, 2021 7:13 AM

GB News ratings down to zero, as predicted by everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 16, 2021 3:05 PM

"@jimwaterson

What’s particularly crazy about this story is the sheer ferocity and fury from GB News viewers demanding presenter Guto Harri be cancelled. They kept it up for days until channel bosses decided they had to act."

"@jimwaterson

Scoop: John McAndrew, GB News’ director of programming, has quit… ex-Sky News executive who pushed for regional reporting… resigned rather dial up culture war… appears there’s a battle for control GB News and the full culture warriors are winning."

"@jimwaterson

Other GB News staff said to be considering their positions… speculation about futures of some presenters… Gill Penlington, a longtime colleague of Andrew Neil, has left… speculation about Neil’s future as he hasn’t tweeted about station in a fortnight…"

by Anonymousreply 94July 16, 2021 3:14 PM

Well, this Guto Harri person knew his 'performance' would get publicity. And he got it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 16, 2021 8:37 PM

To follow on from R94, also from Jim Waterson:

[quote]Lot of chatter at GB News about a possible bigger role for Nigel Farage… not sure how fits with Andrew Neil who has hinted he didn’t want big role for Farage… more culture war content on way… and many staff considering their futures… (my DMs are open, GB News staff)

I do hope Simon McCoy leaves. It was depressing he joined in the first place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 16, 2021 9:34 PM

To follow on from R94, Andrew Neil has this to say.

I can't imagine how many stuff-ups the BBC was committing back in 1949.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 16, 2021 9:38 PM

R97 There's a difference between technical snafus and suspending a presenter because racists demand it, and you were dumb enough to make them your core audience

by Anonymousreply 98July 16, 2021 9:40 PM

Interesting stats, R81. You can see that played out even on Datalounge (in a small way), where many more gays are now leaning right.

by Anonymousreply 99July 16, 2021 9:45 PM

Any shenanigans at GB News will be a welcome distraction for The Guardian's Jim Waterson right now.

His partner Jess Brammer is an ex BBC producer who moved to Huffington Post as editor but was recently sacked as part of the mass clear out to cut costs.

She's been under consideration for a very influential role back at the BBC and many sympathetic to the GB News leanings are running a campaign to stop her appointment being made on the grounds that the role requires someone who is not overtly political, citing Brammer's 10 year tweeting history. This week she deleted all but her recent tweets, including her support for the term pregnant people.

It's been a total shit show - the people who criticise the BBC for having employed Andrew Neil are now saying Jess Brammer's political views are of no concern. And the people who defend the BBC over Andrew Neil are saying Jess Brammer's political views are a bar to her being appointed.

The idea that someone can be biased yet still do their job in an effective and non partisan way is lost on most people.

by Anonymousreply 100July 17, 2021 7:12 AM

R96, it looks like that McCoy is sticking with GB News, comparing it to when Sky News was launched which is fair enough, but it's depressing that GB News has chosen not to be a genuinely free speech channel given that they've cancelled Harri. With Neil appearing to be back on board, GB News still has a fighting chance to establish themselves, but it's clear that they are going to have to be like Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 101July 17, 2021 7:46 AM

[quote] it's clear that they are going to have to be like Fox News.

Does Fox News have a variety of presenters who look like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 17, 2021 7:57 AM

R102, oh come on, they have people like Candace Owens to contribute.

by Anonymousreply 103July 17, 2021 8:05 AM

If Harwood espouses his pro-trans views on GB News, will he be cancelled and suspended from air like Harri? After all, India Willoughby who calls herself politically 'right of centre', able to criticise certain LGBT issues, and is trans herself, quit GB News for 'demonising trans people at every opportunity'.

Or would Harwood keep quiet about those views because the viewers would want to cancel him over it? I think that GB News have chosen where they really stand which is why a couple of people have left and there's talk of Farage having a bigger role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 17, 2021 8:24 AM

I'm sure that GB news is pleased that so many people in three continents are spending so much time speculating over it— even if they haven't watched any of it.

by Anonymousreply 105July 17, 2021 8:33 AM

R105, Lol, what you mean is that you want people to stop discussing GB News's issues. I bet deep down a bunch of people who work at GB News are a bit uncomfortable with what's happened - they're probably mostly libertarian or right of centre types who correctly see socially conservative issues as a cheap way to bring along people but haven't realised just how fucked they could get by it if their own viewers are starting to cancel them for it. It's the same thing that has been going on in Labour - pushing the super-woke thing means that they've been eating themselves somewhat. I see that happening with GB News except on the other side. Eating themselves. And I find it really interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 106July 17, 2021 8:42 AM

[quote] but its evening talk show drew higher ratings than competitors on the BBC and Sky

Isn't that how Foxnews started here in the US? Call me pessimistic, but Britain has fallen!

by Anonymousreply 107July 17, 2021 8:48 AM

[quote] And I find it really interesting to watch.

Voyeur.

by Anonymousreply 108July 17, 2021 9:03 AM

[quote] @Nigel_Farage At 5pm today I will be making an announcement about a big career change. Watch this space.

An official role at GB News was the first thing I thought of but it could be something else..

by Anonymousreply 109July 17, 2021 9:48 AM

r81 and the Greens in Scotland have that annoying bisexual Patrick Harvie who I want to punch in his sanctimonious little face. Anyways, who is Andrew Doyle's BF? That what I want to know. I know Douglas Murray recently broke up with his long term partner, but im pretty sure Andrew is dating someone.

by Anonymousreply 110July 17, 2021 10:02 AM

[quote] bisexual Patrick Harvie

How can anyone in public life claim to have that label with Britain's intrusive media watching all the time?

by Anonymousreply 111July 17, 2021 11:42 AM

R43 That's not how you spell Labour

The Australians, also, don't know how to spell the word 'labour'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 17, 2021 11:52 AM

Confirmed. Nigel Farage is GB News talent!

Also confirmed: GB News is going the Fox News route. This is blatantly red meat for the socially right-wing audience who boycotted the channel because of Harri taking the knee.

"@Nigel_Farage

BREAKING

Watch my new Prime Time evening show on GB News from next week.

Tune into “Farage” Mon - Thurs at 7pm.

I will not be taking the knee on this show!"

by Anonymousreply 113July 17, 2021 4:04 PM

[quote]This is blatantly red meat for the socially right-wing audience who boycotted the channel because of Harri taking the knee.

Oh you make me laugh.

This sounds like pretty much the same show the disgraced Alex Salmond has on Russia Today and no doubt it will be as successful.

by Anonymousreply 114July 17, 2021 4:08 PM

R114, I wish but I think there's very much an audience for cultural right wing news in the UK. Salmond is niche, and he isn't even really culturally right wing, he's for Scottish independence above all.

by Anonymousreply 115July 17, 2021 4:11 PM

The audience for cultural right wing news in the UK is mainly comprised of left wing people on social media who want to be outraged.

That's the audience.

That's why GB News is struggling.

by Anonymousreply 116July 17, 2021 4:15 PM

R116, there are still plenty of 'gammon' boomer white men who can't stand that society is becoming more inclusive - they're the ones who are really making up GB News's audience. I wonder if anyone has done some research as to GB News's audience. I would be shocked if there were many Gen Zers, millennials and even Gen Xers amongst it.

by Anonymousreply 117July 17, 2021 4:19 PM

More people watched the Welsh language soap opera than watched GBeebies.

by Anonymousreply 118July 17, 2021 4:22 PM

There isn't an audience to research, R117.

by Anonymousreply 119July 17, 2021 8:49 PM

"Absurd parody"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 20, 2021 7:33 PM

"ratings on the network have plummeted -- achieving a perfect 0.0 in certain time slots"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 20, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote]That's why GB News is struggling.

It's so trashy - lots of dreary people (usually the tired old newsreaders from other channels) just talking AD LIB. It has no energy. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 122July 20, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote] It has no energy

You need to watch football if you want energy.

Better still you could drag your complaining carcass on to a football field and create your own energy.

by Anonymousreply 123July 20, 2021 8:58 PM

Have read that Farage joining got GB News 100,000 viewers. Big. Their audience is definitely gammon boomers and that's who they're going to target now. Just a tedious show of complaining about wokeness and being 'patriotic' (while Andrew Neil is planted in France, no less) in a fairly cynical move that it will bring people along for right wing economics even though it risks ending up with a populist like Trump. On the flipside, Farage's show didn't get that great reviews but might just be teething problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 21, 2021 8:00 AM

[quote] gammon

Gammon is a pejorative referring to the colour of a person's flushed face.

It was invented by Nishant Kumar of the BBC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 21, 2021 10:51 PM

Ah, your decision to call him Nishant, rather than Nish just tells us so much about you.

And he's not of the BBC. Him appearing on shows aired on the BBC does not make him a BBC employee.

by Anonymousreply 126July 22, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote] And he's not of the BBC

Is Nigel Farage of the GB News?

by Anonymousreply 127July 22, 2021 12:28 AM

First of all "the GB News"? Do you even take a moment to think about what you're saying?

And I have no idea if Farage is an employee or just contracted as a freelancer. If they have any sense it'll be the latter, with a short notice period.

by Anonymousreply 128July 22, 2021 12:45 AM

[quote]Ah, your decision to call him Nishant, rather than Nish just tells us so much about you.

At least he didn't call him Romesh Ranganathan.

Gammon has long been an insult directed at people who go bright red/pink when they get angry. Not even Nish Kumar would claim it as his own.

by Anonymousreply 129July 22, 2021 7:36 AM

Journalists at the Irish Times and the Guardian seem to be the main people watching GB news to judge by the number of their articles on the subject.

by Anonymousreply 130July 22, 2021 8:12 AM

Andrew Doyle talks very quickly and clearly. But it all seems to make sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 22, 2021 8:22 AM

I just checked ignoredar and posts R131, R130, R127, R125, R123, R108, R105, R102, R97, R95, R90, R86 plus some others are by the same person. He sounds upset that people are criticising GB News. I REALLY hope it's someone who works at GB News; that would be too funny, but chances are it isn't?

by Anonymousreply 132July 22, 2021 10:12 AM

You must have a lot of time on your hands, R132.

by Anonymousreply 133July 22, 2021 9:45 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 29, 2021 10:08 PM

[quote] Why is this a surprise? White Britons have always been racist assholes. We can at least use the excuse that Trump won because of the electoral college NOT because the majority of voters supported him or the Republican party. That rancid shit Boris Johnson is PM because the Brits are prejudiced assholes who never really accepted POC into society which is why those POC isolated themselves. Europe as a whole has always been provincial in their thinking. An Obama could never win there. They'd rather a buffoon like Johnson.

Fifty seven percent of white voters voted to re-elect Trump.

by Anonymousreply 135July 29, 2021 10:55 PM

[quote] Europe as a whole has always been provincial in their thinking

R29 Do you believe in homogenised people and global marketing where Chinese slaves provide everything?

by Anonymousreply 136July 29, 2021 10:59 PM

They're looking for "a new chief of staff to help mastermind a comeback from sliding ratings and the departure of its programming head."

[quote] The fledgling news network is advertising for a "disruptor" and "innovator" to join its senior leadership team as its attempts to steady the business after a turbulent start. .. Candidates should have experience working for a start-up, a high-profile consultancy or a private equity firm, according to information in a job advert first reported by the i.newspaper.

[quote] Audience data from two weeks ago showed the number of viewers watching the station had fallen by two thirds from an average of 42,529 to just under 15,000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 30, 2021 7:44 PM

UKIP News are doing great now that they've got Farage on board. Good ratings now and he's making headlines with this RNLI story.

by Anonymousreply 138July 30, 2021 8:16 PM

I'm convinced that most people watching are left wing people desperate to be offended.

by Anonymousreply 139July 30, 2021 8:18 PM

No, they're Kipper-types, R139. 3.9 million people voted UKIP in the 2015 election, for example. They are out there and they're UKIP News's target audience now.

by Anonymousreply 140July 30, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote] I'm convinced that most people watching are left wing people desperate to be offended.

More fool them.

by Anonymousreply 141July 30, 2021 9:12 PM

[quote] I'm convinced that most people watching are left wing people desperate to be offended.

OK, R139, I'm vaguely convinced that most people in this thread are desperate to be offended.

by Anonymousreply 142July 31, 2021 5:12 AM

Ooo, look Owen will save us!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 31, 2021 5:17 AM

Telegraph is quoting GB News sources saying that there are rumours that the relationship between Neil and chief exec Angelos Frangopoulous has completely broken down and that Neil is not involved in any decisions.

[quote]“Many of us are concerned about the direction the channel is now taking,” another GB News source says: “We joined because it had mainstream broadcasters like Andrew, John and Gill. But John and Gill have gone and Andrew is missing in action. Nearly all the new presenter hires are right-wing male shock jocks from Talk Radio. We’re heading towards becoming a British Fox News and this makes most of us uneasy.”

That said, that was always going to be inevitable if they wanted to get the ratings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 12, 2021 2:52 AM

Ratings have fallen sharply. Good!

by Anonymousreply 145August 12, 2021 2:58 AM

TV is teaching our kids bad morals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 12, 2021 12:54 PM

Oh is it still going? I watched some of it for the first few days because there were lots of people saying it was laughably bad, but I got bored of it pretty quickly.

Wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled. Not sure there's really the market for a 24 hour right wing news channel here.

by Anonymousreply 147August 12, 2021 12:58 PM

I've read that they have the funding for 3 years-worth (£60m) so they'll have a decent amount of time to establish themselves. I'm not writing them off because I think there IS a market, but I really really don't want them to take off because Fox News acts as propaganda for so much backwards stuff - anti-vaccines, pro-a President Trump, anti-science, etc.

by Anonymousreply 148August 12, 2021 1:10 PM

Mercy Muroki became a mother at 18 while unmarried. Some conservatives would still think that morally wrong, and in another century she would have been totally ostracised for that. It makes you think - is it really your place to judge what other consensual adults are doing?

by Anonymousreply 149August 12, 2021 1:18 PM

R148 - Not sure that'll fly here because of OFCOM.

by Anonymousreply 150August 12, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote]@jimwaterson After ten weeks GB News is increasingly reliant on Nigel Farage for ratings, has hired ex-Sky News boss Nick Pollard, and is developing a subtly different identity which yesterday saw a presenter suggesting horse dewormer as a Covid vaccine alternative.

Horse dewormer.

by Anonymousreply 151August 26, 2021 6:13 AM

I don't know, R149.

I suspect sexy, sassy busty Mercy might just be pulling our leg at R146.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 26, 2021 8:32 AM

R152 It's in line with GB News's 'anti-woke' and conservative news designed for old, traditional types who read the Daily Mail and voted UKIP. Plus there's nothing really ha-ha funny about it. I wouldn't be shocked if it was insincere from Mercy though. The whole venture seems designed to try to weaponise social issues so that they can get through economic right-wing policies but that can go too far, and will do.

by Anonymousreply 153August 26, 2021 8:46 AM

R153 Are you suggesting that Mercy wants the GB viewers to seethe over Love Island?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 26, 2021 9:17 AM

R154 Yes. Take a look at the Youtube comments from GB News watchers - most of them are agreeing with her.

'Maureen' says: "What kind of parents would allow their children to watch this kind of thing."

'Derek' says: "Mercy is absolutely right to highlight the shallowness of these programmes and the way people are treated as expendable and to be tossed aside when they have failed to maintain the interest of the opposite sex. Too many Parents and adults generally seem to have reached the conclusion that if they satisfy their child’s craving for the materialistic trinkets of today’s world that they have somehow discharged their responsibility to the growth and development of their offspring."

by Anonymousreply 155August 26, 2021 9:32 AM

And it's official, Andrew Neil has officially resigned from GB News. Despite having signed a multi-year contract. What a disaster, and he's an idiot if he thought it wasn't always going to turn into Fox / UKIP News.

by Anonymousreply 156September 13, 2021 9:14 PM

Guardian reports ...

[quote] Per BARB ... on Wednesday, the channel attracted “no measurable audience” between 1pm and 1.30pm and again at 5pm.

by Anonymousreply 157September 13, 2021 9:25 PM

R156 This news will upset their viewer.

by Anonymousreply 158September 13, 2021 9:55 PM

R167

[quote] Guardian

it suffered a £10.1 million operating loss in the 12 months to March 28, after a £17.5 million loss in the same period the previous year.

by Anonymousreply 159September 13, 2021 10:24 PM

I wish I could be in London to see Titania burn the West End.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 13, 2021 11:03 PM

Paywalled Times article says:

- Three senior producers quit within days of each other last week (McConkey, Weaver, and Sharman).

- Simon McCoy is 'openly unhappy' and has 'expressed a desire to leave'. Kirsty Gallacher has 'grown frustrated'.

- GB News has offered Piers Morgan a seven figure sum to join but he's declined so far.

- Frangopoulos is increasingly adding populist commentators and is driving the channel into a Fox News direction.

- Low ratings and an advertiser boycott are still a problem although GB News's digital content is positive on that front, with millions of views.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 13, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote] Paywalled Times

They offered the information given in R159.

All media is going demented chasing each other to get an audience. The Guardian and the Daily Mail are the only two major sources who don't have paywall.

by Anonymousreply 162September 13, 2021 11:23 PM

R162 Bubs, there was exclusive gossip in that Times article that the Guardian didn't have.

by Anonymousreply 163September 13, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote] exclusive gossip

What?

by Anonymousreply 164September 13, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote] exclusive gossip

More pics of Tom Harwood?

by Anonymousreply 165September 14, 2021 3:48 AM

Ugh, here's GB News pandering to homophobes, trying to tap into the culture war of homophobia. The guy who played Nasty Nick on EastEnders had his character written out because he was an actor who wouldn't play a gay character. The point of acting is that you're... acting. That's his job. He wouldn't/couldn't do his job and was written out. Why is GB News trying to make a culture war thing of this? He's on GB News comparing that decision to the fucking Taliban.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 14, 2021 5:56 AM

[quote] he was an actor who wouldn't play a gay character.

The man in the interview doesn't say that.

by Anonymousreply 167September 14, 2021 6:00 AM

Amazing. The Guardian is reporting that GB News is reducing Tom Harwood's airtime because bosses now consider him to be 'too woke'. Shades of Guto Harri - viewers must have been complaining about some of Hardwood's views.

by Anonymousreply 168September 15, 2021 12:25 PM

[quote] The Guardian is reporting

The Guardian hates any rival and The Guardian is still going bankrupt.

by Anonymousreply 169September 15, 2021 9:35 PM

Harwood would probably make more money on OnlyFans. Although, I guess he would choose JustForFans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 15, 2021 10:15 PM

But, R170, is there a difference between OnlyFans and JustForFans? (I subscribe to neither)

by Anonymousreply 171September 15, 2021 10:33 PM

R171 They prodvide the same kind of platform for content creators, but they are different. Some performers opt to be on both OF and JFF.

I believe OF is still owned by a corporation in London.

JFF was started by a gay male porn star, and while inclusive, has been geared to that type of tha type of content from the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 15, 2021 10:58 PM

Thank you, R172.

by Anonymousreply 173September 15, 2021 11:03 PM

It's sad that Andrew Neil has chosen this heap of shit as his legacy. Dyed in the wool Tory he may be, which I am not, but I've always thought him the best political interviewer on UK television. He can get politicians on the ropes like no-one else and has humiliated just as many Conservative and right-wing as Labour or left-wing speakers. Much better than the hugely overrated Jeremy Paxman, because his questions are incisive and lead on one from another, rather than just repeated 15 times.

I did think he subscribed to traditional journalistic values, but that is very hard to square with this pound shop Fox News he has created.

by Anonymousreply 174September 16, 2021 4:29 AM

[quote] he has created

He may have appeared on it but he didn't create or own it. He was just an employee of the company and the mysterious (and bald) Angelos Frangopoulous.

I've tried to google who Frangopoulous is but I can't see anything that's reliable because the media is so full of desperation and spite.

by Anonymousreply 175September 16, 2021 5:02 AM

R175 Just look at what Frangopoulos did with Sky News in Australia to basically have your answer (he spent almost 20 years as boss there so it'd be a pretty good measure).

by Anonymousreply 176September 16, 2021 9:54 AM

[quote] Just look at…

I've not seen it. Have you?

Did it reinforce your beliefs?

by Anonymousreply 177September 16, 2021 10:32 AM

R177 My point is that Frangopoulos isn't really that 'mysterious' since he's been running a news channel for 20 years so if you want have an idea of the kind of ethos he has when it comes to running a news channel, that's a good start - and what's he's been doing with GB News so far does tend to jive with how he ran Sky News Australia.

by Anonymousreply 178September 16, 2021 11:23 AM

Here's a summary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 16, 2021 11:50 AM

Well, after previously saying he won't be launching a TV channel, Murdoch has just announced he is - talkTV. Guess he saw how GB News was doing and decided it wasn't the competition he thought it would be. Anyone want to take bets on how long until it's announced Andrew Neil is getting a show on it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180September 16, 2021 1:15 PM

And Murdoch has signed Piers Moron, and is giving him a weekday show which will air in the US, UK and Australia - presumably on Fox News, talkTV and Sky News Australia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181September 16, 2021 1:16 PM

[quote] Murdoch has signed Piers Moron

Well, that should keep you happy if you're one of those who enjoys endless whining.

by Anonymousreply 182September 16, 2021 1:20 PM

R182 Think you're the one always whining that people are mean to little ickle GB News.

by Anonymousreply 183September 16, 2021 1:39 PM

This thread just proves how desperately the UK needs GB News.

The stunning arrogance of those who think that all we should have is the horrendously biased BBC and ITV because they happen to coincide with their personal ethos and politics.

Like him or not, Piers Morgan speaks for A LOT of people….people who are sick to the back teeth of virtue-signalling cunts like you lot.

Other opinions exist, you annoying bunch of tossers.

by Anonymousreply 184September 16, 2021 1:50 PM

Except the BBC and ITV aren't biased. You lot have had chance after chance after chance to prove those claims of bias to Ofcom and fail every single time.

[quote]Other opinions exist

And this right here exposes what an idiot you are. BBC and ITV news don't report opinions. They report facts.

by Anonymousreply 185September 16, 2021 2:21 PM

Piers Morgan was a big supporter of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 186September 16, 2021 2:32 PM

[quote] And this right here exposes what an idiot you are. BBC and ITV news don't report opinions. They report facts.

The manner in which they report their facts, and their choice of stories, reveal their agenda. E.g., their extremely sympathetic reporting on migrants, whom they label refugees at every chance. E.g., reporting on trans sex workers in obscure corners of the globe.

Also, Ofcom doesn't regulate the World Service. That's why it's about 60% propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 187September 16, 2021 2:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188September 16, 2021 2:53 PM

BBC will never give you this POV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189September 16, 2021 2:57 PM

Yeah but the Conservatives love illegal migrants for cheap workers who don't have rights. That's why they never crack down on it properly. They only want to use it for culture war fodder.

by Anonymousreply 190September 16, 2021 3:05 PM

R185 You’re a moron.

BBC bias is a huge concern, how the fuck have you missed that? And ITV’s agenda has been highlighted by their attitude to Meghan and Harry. They actually told their presenters (not just Morgan) what they may and may not say about them. This is political bias.

R190 All workers have rights in the UK, brainiac. And immigrants or not, they are paid at least the minimum wage. That’s the law, stop making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 191September 16, 2021 3:11 PM

R191 I am not making this up. Look up the Leicester sweat factories, nail bars, and so on. The law is being openly broken all the time and it's not enforced.

by Anonymousreply 192September 16, 2021 3:14 PM

Modern slavery in Leicester was in the news last year. Workers openly being paid lower than the minimum wage, illegal conditions.

[quote]"Machinists are being paid £3 an hour, packers are being paid £2 an hour. That is what seems to be the standard," she said. Outside one factory a worker who asked not to be named told Sky News she is paid between £5 and £6 an hour. "Very little money," she said, in broken English.

[quote]When asked if claims of widespread exploitation in the city are an "open secret", deputy mayor Adam Clarke replied: "You call it an open secret. It's just open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193September 16, 2021 3:19 PM

That’s what tribunals are for. People should use them. If they are prevented, they should go the police.

What else is the government supposed to do?

by Anonymousreply 194September 16, 2021 3:20 PM

R194 No disrespect, but that's naive. These people are desperate and often not legally in the UK. A tribunal would be unthinkable for them. And like I say, the government doesn't care enough to crack down on it, nor on preventing illegal migrants. They COULD if they wanted to, but note how they never do? They just want to pretend to get elected.

by Anonymousreply 195September 16, 2021 3:24 PM

Sorry, but if the MAYOR is reporting his concern about this, how is it evidence of the government “not caring”?

People break the law. The fact that there are laws being broken tends to prove that the government does “care”.

Logic. Try it.

by Anonymousreply 196September 16, 2021 3:24 PM

R196 Like how Priti Patel tells us that she's tackling illegal migrants and will stop them coming while meanwhile new records are broken under her watch? Pay attention to what actually happens and not the words. Politicians are famous for lying after all.

by Anonymousreply 197September 16, 2021 3:35 PM

R185 “BBC and ITV news don't report opinions. They report facts.”

They report one side of the facts yes, and blatantly omit any facts deemed politically sensitive. They have a clear bias.

by Anonymousreply 198September 16, 2021 3:41 PM

Somehow I'm guessing those "facts deemed politically sensitive" aren't actually facts at all, and more like your opinion.

But again, Ofcom is right there.

by Anonymousreply 199September 16, 2021 6:26 PM

Neil's departure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 18, 2021 5:39 PM

R200 Do you expect to find anything vaguely unbiased or truthful in that newspaper?

by Anonymousreply 201September 18, 2021 11:19 PM

R129 fwiw Romesh comes across as an unpleasant person, ethnicity aside. He’s not likeable, and only a very slightly better host than barrel-scraping James Corden.

He even tried to bully and banter off my baby Declan Rice on live television. Dec took it beautifully and responded with charm, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202September 2, 2022 1:25 PM

Still no profit... as predicted by quite literally everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 9, 2023 12:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!