Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

IKEA and their racist Juneteenth Menu

I'm more bothered they spelled it potatoe salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2021 11:17 PM

I don’t see a probleme here.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2021 12:58 AM

Misspellings aside, I'm not mad at that menu. Sounds quite tasty.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2021 1:00 AM

Sounds tasty to me!!

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2021 1:01 AM

Now if they included okra, that might be a bridge too far...

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2021 1:06 AM

The guy clearly meant well, he just doesn't have a clue. And yes, it sounds delicious.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2021 1:08 AM

Hopefully they asked some black folks for input. I've been to many a black family party - they do eat this - and the shit is GOOD. Menu is missing some sweet potato pie and Sprite.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2021 1:16 AM

Is fried chicken really a Juneteenth food though? Everything I've been reading said barbecue (which, if you're having a big party in hot weather, is a hell of a lot more practical than standing for hours over a panful of boiling fat.)

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2021 1:23 AM

I guess Mel Sharples and Archie Bunker work in that Ikea cafeteria.

And it’s 1974.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2021 1:23 AM

Fried chicken and watermelon are SOUTHERN food and always have been. Most "soul" food are southern staples .Now a bitch cant enjoy fired chicken or a slice of cold watermelon without being called a racist ? What next,sweet tea ? Get a fucking life you assholes.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 1:26 AM

What about Hillbilly Day? I guess we get possum and poke salad.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2021 1:36 AM

Ha! I am literally eating watermelon right now. 😂

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2021 1:43 AM

If black people dont want fried chicken and watermelon anymore, we can trade for mayo and hot dogs.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2021 1:50 AM

What’s “tatoes”, precious? What’s “tatoes”, eh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2021 1:59 AM

Fried chicken was invented in Scotland. Lots of Scots immigrated to the South and brought it with them. But the soul food thing is touchy.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2021 3:39 AM

I'd rather the blacks spit watermelon seeds at me than bullets!

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2021 4:48 AM

I laughed so hard reading this. In tears. How obtuse can one be? 🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2021 5:05 AM

As somebody of mixed race, I see nothing wrong with this menu except for the watermelon. That was too much.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2021 11:26 PM

That's hilarious. But that menu looks delicious and watermelon is one of the best things in the world. They left out the pork chops.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2021 11:41 PM

[quote] Fried chicken was invented in Scotland. Lots of Scots immigrated to the South and brought it with them.

Partly true-and very believable since we Scots will deep fry almost anything. In the American South, frying the chicken in fat was likely a Scottish contribution. They also had spiced fried chicken in West Africa, but fried it in palm oil. The southerners in the US used spices like West Africa, but fried it in animal fat like Scotland. The Romans also had deep-fried chicken as early as the 4th century.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2021 11:44 PM

They could have done away with the watermelon, but will someone explain to me what is racist about the rest of the menu?

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote]They could have done away with the watermelon, but will someone explain to me what is racist about the rest of the menu?

That is the Sunday, after church, menu of many southern black grandmothers. But the combination of watermelon and fried chicken probably is what set the people offended by this off. While many black people do love fried chicken and watermelon, I have yet to find one white person who didn't also love it - just as much, but for some reason that food combo is always used to make fun of black people.

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2021 2:00 AM

Why doesn't anybody say "it's racist for you to have swedish meatballs and lingonberry jam on your menu."

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2021 2:01 AM

Because, R22, that’s associated with a specific ethnicity/nationality/store chain rather a race.

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2021 2:14 AM

Because The Birth of a Nation popularized the racist stereotype that blacks are filthy and eat with their hands. There isn't a Birth of Ikea movie that does the same with Swedish people, and Swedish people have not been historically discriminated against in the US and Swedish Americans are not murdered today by American police on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2021 2:17 AM

R23 are you high? You think there are no black people in Sweden that eat fried chicken? Or just people in general?

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2021 2:20 AM

I wish I could attend. I love IKEA food.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2021 2:34 AM

OK..since black cuisine is apparently racist...what wold have been a proper menu?

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2021 4:22 AM

And GRAPE SODA for the beverage.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2021 4:37 AM

There's no chitlins on there.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2021 4:51 AM

Aw you beat me to the chitlins! Forget grape soda, what about purple drank?

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2021 7:08 AM

Sounds delicious! And, in the US context, so racist even David Duke is impressed.

by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2021 7:37 AM

What do "soul food" restaurants serve?

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2021 3:44 PM

Ikea, you in danger, girl.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2021 5:04 PM

There's a soul food restaurant near me and they have the BEST smothered pork chops and fried okra.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2021 5:20 PM

The menu sounds delish. I wish I was invited.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2021 8:07 PM

R29 Will no one think of the chitlins?

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2021 8:36 PM

This is just an example of where we are with cancel culture run amok. Sure, if someone is a vile, racist piece of garbage and there's ample evidence of that, cancel them. I'm totally down with that. Wanna boycott a business because their policies are discriminatory or they have donate substantially to an abhorrent political candidate? Go for it. I support that, too.

This is IKEA, FFS! They were well intentioned and making a good faith effort to be more inclusive. Fried chicken and watermelon ARE associated with Southern black culture, and they're a delicious combination. This outrage is ridiculous. "OMG!!! YOU SAID BLACK PEOPLE ENJOY FRIED CHICKEN!!!" Why is that offensive?

If I'm missing something or being ignorant, I'm open to learning more.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2021 8:49 PM

It’s so ridiculous it sounds like a hack.

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2021 9:04 PM

Here's an interesting article from The Atlantic regarding how watermelon became a racist trope. I can see why it may be offensive in a certain context now.

Once the vast majority of a population is too young to remember why a trope was offensive in the first place (without looking it up), does it cease to become offensive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2021 9:33 PM

That's what racism is a perversion, a twisting of the mind.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2021 11:10 PM

[quote] perversion

How can this perversion be cured, R40? Should we try and think laterally to find a solution?

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2021 11:13 PM

Oh FFS.

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2021 11:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!