Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ketamine therapy for depression...

Really fucking works. I wish it wasn't so expensive. Have any of you tried it?

by Anonymousreply 62July 12, 2021 1:11 PM

Yes I have had a few IV infusions. It does help. It costs $450/infusion in NYC.

And yes, it is awful that this isn't more affordable/covered by insurance.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2021 11:49 PM

It's $350 in Atlanta. It's nuts that it's so expensive. Ketamine is generic. My doctor has 5 patients going am hour. He's making bank.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2021 12:15 AM

My partner’s sister is on it, and it has decreased her depression a lot. She actually sounds happy when I speak with her, which was never the case previously.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2021 1:27 AM

My friends daughter was in the darkest place. My friend remembered this and fought to get it covered by her daughters state insurance. They said they’d pay some toward it (through the hospital IV only , she said the nasal spray isn’t good and has inconsistent results) the hospital refused to take the partial pay from insurance. She finally found a doctor who used to work at the hospital who did it but it was cash. 3k for 6 sessions. She got a loan out and amazingly after the first session, she saw her daughter come back from the deep dark hole of clinical depression. She got it and it was a miracle. It’s asinine to think Insurance won’t cover it and more hospitals don’t offer it. But my friend made the point: it WORKS. They’re in bed with the insurance companies so they keep using pills to “help with depression” which only temporarily helps but doesn’t CURE it like KETAMINE does.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2021 3:47 AM

My husband had two emergency treatments with his Dr. The results were instantaneous and really effective, and the effects lasted longer than I expected. I wish we could afford to have more regular treatment.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2021 4:37 AM

It's kind of astounding how fast it works. I guess $350 isn't such a bad deal.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2021 3:55 PM

Wow. I never thought this would become a thing. Back in my SPLASH NY days, we'd snort it. How is this done? Ingested? A pill?

I'm actually quite interested in this. While not debilitating, my depression has deepened in recent years and staving severe anhedonia is a daily struggle.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2021 4:01 PM

But how LONG does it last? Is it just a temporary neuro mood changer?

Do we know anything about side effects of many, many infusions?

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2021 4:11 PM

My doctor has been doing it since 2008.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 4:14 PM

So basically poor people will continue to be depressed

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2021 4:23 PM

My dad’s minister is on it and has responded well after trying pretty much every other therapy.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2021 4:32 PM

R7 I believe it’s IV?

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2021 4:32 PM

Just buy it in the shady back alley.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2021 4:42 PM

Which shady back alley?

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2021 4:46 PM

If be too worried about fentanyl. They're putting fent in fucking cocaine now

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2021 7:00 PM

Fentanyl helps get loser addicts off the streets and into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2021 7:05 PM

So you go to the doctor, lay down and go into a K-hole? Do you just lay there?

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2021 7:16 PM

Only safe online resources that one of our DL's have safely used? I would like to know this for research purposes.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2021 7:25 PM

The cat tranquilizer? I used to buy those at raves back in the early 2000s. You Do Not want to be stuck in a K-hole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2021 7:29 PM

Northern California Kaiser covers it but you have to meet a bunch of strict requirements. They basically restrict it to only on the worst of the worst depression cases, even though I've seen articles that say it can make a huge difference in less depressed people with only one treatment. I was referred to TMS therapy instead, and it's working great but is a huge commitment (5 days a week for 6 weeks).

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2021 7:33 PM

How long do the positive effects last? How long between IV sessions?

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2021 8:13 PM

I am poor. We are reduced to unsafe street drugs for any help. Thanks evil pharmaceutical companies.😾

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2021 8:40 PM

they administer it in a doctors office with IV. It definitely gives you a trip but it is very carefully dosed. some patients wear headphones and listen to music by themselves, some patients talk to the doctor and some patients sit in silence. You can also take a spouse or a friend in with you. I've been in all of my husband's sessions. It makes a big improvement for him and lasts about a month. Some people get treatments every couple of weeks and extreme cases get short bursts of back to back treatments, up to twice a week for a short period of time.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2021 9:06 PM

I took K a few times back in my partying days and I swear to god I have never felt so good, so sane and non-anxious, in my entire life. It was astonishing. I haven't done it in 20 years but I think about that feeling all the time -- it didn't even feel like a high like other drugs, it just felt like my brain was mine for the first time in my life and not cluttered full of garbage. If there was a safe way to get that feeling again, a prescription, I'd do it in a heartbeat

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2021 9:17 PM

I knew of this only through a friend who is a medical researcher, but I didn't realize it was in use -- off label according to this 2019 article.

The article also describes a slightly different formulation used as a nasal spray, also against depression.

How long does a dose of the IV administered version last?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2021 9:18 PM

It depends on you. It's a dissociative so you're able to view yourself from outside and then make better choices. It declutters the mind and gets your anxiety and depression from weighing on you.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2021 9:29 PM

[quote] So basically poor people will continue to be depressed

Yes. But they're poor and have nothing to offer. Why be around a happy poor person? No one wants to see that.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2021 9:39 PM

I’d never heard of this and most likely couldn’t afford it but damn, Datalounge continues to be so educational.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2021 9:44 PM

I’m afraid to ask my psychiatrist for this, like he’ll think I’m a drug seeker. I used to be, but he doesn’t even know that.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2021 10:00 PM

In this case I just want to feel sane, not to party into a k hole.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2021 10:01 PM

I desperately want to try it.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2021 10:08 PM

R29, you have to go to a special clinic. What city are you in?

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2021 10:12 PM

My Botox nurse offers it at her clinic for $350 a session. It’s supposed to work on alcoholism and addiction as well. Obviously you can buy it on the street cheaper, but I would be afraid of it being cut with something else. Mushrooms work similarly, and you can grow them yourself or buy from a reputable source online for much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2021 10:14 PM

It sounds like people are running from depression to drug addiction. How could it be good for your mental health? Another American exceptionalism at work here, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2021 10:15 PM

R34, don't spout off about things you clearly don't understand. This is therapeutic Ketamine therapy. It's not "recreational drug use". It's a very, very low dose, done in a drip, over an hour or so. Under a doctor's supervision. It's not done at levels that lead to addition. There are many studies about it, and it's a real therapy that really seems to help some people. Sometimes one treatment is enough, but usually you take a series of treatments over weeks or months. It has lasting effects.

Stop tut-tutting and scolding when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Go read about it instead of just knee-jerk reacting.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2021 10:20 PM

R4, ketamine isn't addictive. And you must be American because you're spouting made up shit about something you know nothing about. Plus you're a puritanical asshole

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2021 10:43 PM

r34 thinks like a 1960s American. Just cheer yourself up! And stop being a fag because being gay is a choice.

to a lot of people, any drug that makes others feel better is scary. Usually that type of person also thinks addicts are weak willed and deserve to die anyway. old school thinking.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2021 10:49 PM

Between this and microdosing shrooms/LSD, etc., I'm glad people are finding alternatives to traditional pill-popping that actually work for them. It's overdue.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2021 11:07 PM

I just do mushrooms. A lot cheaper and best thing I've found for ego destruction and depression. I can go about six months between trips and still feel great.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2021 11:26 PM

R29 I am in Portland Or

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2021 12:45 AM

It looks like you have a few places to choose from, r40. And Atlanta is looking like more and more of a bargain. Just Google ketamine therapy Portland

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2021 1:31 AM

Thanks R41

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2021 1:45 AM

Does it help with anxiety too? I have depression that meds don't seem to help, but bad anxiety and I don't want ketamine to make it worse.

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2021 5:49 AM

Has anyone tried esketamine nasal spray (Spravato)?

by Anonymousreply 44July 8, 2021 10:50 PM

K can trigger bipolar and schizophrenia

by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2021 10:58 PM

R45 So can Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 46July 9, 2021 12:06 AM

Ecstasy is being studied again too. Everything old is new again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 9, 2021 12:10 AM

I did high quality MDMA once and felt great for about a month.

New study shows a big mushroom dose regrows neurons and neural pathways that have died due to depression. We have so much to learn.

The US government has spent decades stopping research in these areas. When there's the opportunity, vote in favor of loosening these bullshit laws and let people get the help they need.

by Anonymousreply 48July 9, 2021 1:46 AM

"K can trigger bipolar and schizophrenia"

R45. that is a bunch of BS

It is used to treat bipolar depression/suicidality

It is not yet been shown to help schizophrenia, but it does not "trigger" schizophrenia which is due to abnormal neuronal migration during the first trimester of pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 49July 10, 2021 8:42 PM

Do you have a link to that, r48? That's really interesting - I'd like know more about it. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 50July 10, 2021 9:25 PM

R47 I trained at UCLA NeuroPsychiatric Institute 15 years ago and they were investigating psychedelics then. West Coast Medical schools have always been way ahead of east coast re these drugs.

I have been referring depressed patients for IV Ketamine for over a decade. It is not a new treatment, but it is now more accepted by patients.

by Anonymousreply 51July 10, 2021 9:27 PM

R50 I am not R48 but here you go:

Psilocybin is a serotonergic psychedelic with untapped therapeutic potential. There are hints that the use of psychedelics can produce neural adaptations, although the extent and time scale of the impact in a mammalian brain are unknown. In this study, we used chronic two-photon microscopy to image longitudinally the apical dendritic spines of layer 5 pyramidal neurons in the mouse medial frontal cortex. We found that a single dose of psilocybin led to ∼10% increases in spine size and density, driven by an elevated spine formation rate. The structural remodeling occurred quickly within 24 hours and was persistent 1 month later. Psilocybin also ameliorated stress-related behavioral deficit and elevated excitatory neurotransmission. Overall, the results demonstrate that psilocybin-evoked synaptic rewiring in the cortex is fast and enduring, potentially providing a structural trace for long-term integration of experiences and lasting beneficial actions.

But remember - SSRI's also cause neuronal growth and for this reason have been prescribed to those with brain injuries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 10, 2021 9:33 PM

There are also psychotherapists that specialize in treating people after ketamine or ayahuasca treatments. It would be ideal to try both together.

by Anonymousreply 53July 10, 2021 9:39 PM

Thank you very much, r52. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 54July 10, 2021 9:52 PM

Yeah, they sell it in pet shops in Romania but I am not that depressed or desperate. Still wish big pharma back home would get more serious about it and ECT.

by Anonymousreply 55July 10, 2021 9:58 PM

I’m on the original shroom thread here….I obtained shroom capsules because I have struggled with moderate to severe depression for over thirty years. If you have depression — try it. It does help. I am going to try the K, I think it will cure me once and for all. If you have it, just know that you are NOT alone, and there are finally tools out there that actually work (unlike traditional therapy and anti-depressants. I am soooooo grateful we live in a time where there are promising treatments out there.

But yes, it is fucking bullshit that insurance won’t pay. How can we change that? Obviously the doctors won’t help — they’re making money hand over fist off this treatment, I think legislation might be the only way to force them to pay. It is inhumane that poor people can’t access this treatment, it makes me ashamed of this country. Kill the rich?

by Anonymousreply 56July 10, 2021 11:42 PM

r56 Nothing will cure you once and for all.

If there is ANYTHING that readers take from this board its that chemical imbalances in the brain can create depression and it's a lifelong issue. Its not the end of the world. But it requires a basic understanding that depressed people will eventually become depressed again. And when they do, they require medical supervision, therapy, and often, medication of some sort (including but not limited to psychededelics)

There are worse problems people have to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 57July 11, 2021 12:13 AM

Where can you get ketamine therapy in NYC ?

by Anonymousreply 58July 11, 2021 1:31 AM

R58 google it, there are a few

by Anonymousreply 59July 11, 2021 2:07 AM

R58. Try Dr. Brooks - I was really happy with him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 11, 2021 2:55 AM

R56 Don't shrooms make you trip and see things? Wouldn't they be bad for people with anxiety, low self-esteem and for paranoid people? A lot of depressed people are also one or more of those things.

by Anonymousreply 61July 11, 2021 9:41 AM

R61, I micro dosed, so no.

R57, people are saying K can cure depression. I don’t know what they mean when they say “cure”, but if it’s something that makes it easier to live with, I’m all in.

by Anonymousreply 62July 12, 2021 1:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!