Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sarah Paulson felt 'trapped' while doing AHS: Roanoke : 'I just don't care about this season at all'

On her own personal ranking of American Horror Story seasons, Sarah Paulson would probably place Roanoke at the bottom.

The actress, who's now returning to the Ryan Murphy anthology series for season 10's Double Feature theme, opened up a bit about her experience coming off of playing Marcia Clark on The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story and heading into Roanoke.

"I just don't care about this season at all," she admitted during a conversation on The Hollywood Reporter's Awards Chatter podcast with host Scott Feinberg. "I know people will get mad at me for saying it, but for me, this was post having played Marcia and it was what I went to do right after finishing Marcia.

"I was so underwhelmed by the whole experience," she continued, "because I felt like I had entered into a new place inside of myself in terms of what I thought possible, in terms of what I might be willing to see if I can do. I felt really kind of trapped by my responsibility and my contractual obligation to do American Horror Story. As much as it's my home, and I've loved it always, it was the first time I felt like I wish I could have gone to Ryan and said, 'Please let me sit this one out.

Show representatives didn't immediately respond to EW's request for comment.

Roanoke, the sixth season of American Horror Story, was set on Roanoke Island, N.C. Paulson notably played Audrey Tindall, an actress in the cast for the documentary My Roanoke Nightmare that dramatized paranormal experiences had by the Miller family. Paulson also reprised her role of Lana Winters from the Asylum season that year.

The Murphy muse ended up returning for the seventh season, Cult, because she "wanted to be there because of what we all went through as a country," she said on the podcast. "I liked the idea that it was mirroring what we were experiencing. Enough time had gone by." Paulson also came back for season 8's Apocalypse theme for the Coven crossover event, but she did sit out season 9's 1984.

American Horror Story: Double Feature, set to premiere on FX Aug. 25, will now be split into two separate stories, "one by the sea, one by the sand," per a teaser video. The only tidbits Paulson gave to EW about who she's playing are, one, the character "has some issues" and, two, she has "a hair color" Paulson's "never had in life nor in the show."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 17, 2021 4:34 AM

Rofl.

You and me both, honey.

Roanoke was the WORST season of AHS, ever.

And that's really saying something.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2021 6:54 PM

The last season I watched was Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2021 6:56 PM

Honey, we don't care about it either.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2021 6:56 PM

Will no one rid me of this omnipresent kewpie doll?

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2021 6:59 PM

apocalypse was way worse

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2021 7:00 PM

I liked Apocalypse, R5.

At least it was watchable.

Roanoke and 1984 were the only two seasons I stopped watching after a few episodes.

Both of them SUCKED royally.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2021 7:02 PM

I actually enjoyed that season. Cult was worse

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2021 7:02 PM

Will Sarah be cancelled by Ryan Murphy and FX for saying this?

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2021 7:02 PM

I feel trapped by Ryan Murphy shitshows on every platform, every week!

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2021 7:08 PM

I actually liked this season... I skipped it originally and watched it years later... I would put it in the top 3 or 4 for sure

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote] I felt really kind of trapped by my responsibility and my contractual obligation to do American Horror Story.

I'm always happy when an actor who constantly works with him tries to do something else. It seems like many of them get stuck. Yeah, I'm sure the "exposure" and paycheck might make it worth it but it's not like his work usually rises above anything other than camp.

They probably don't want to say no because then he may never call them again.

[quote]Will Sarah be cancelled by Ryan Murphy and FX for saying this?

I'd wager she's speaking up because she's at a point where she not scared of him and is over it. If anything she's become synonymous with his work. It's a benefit to him to have her on AHS since fans expect her.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2021 7:10 PM

Kathy Bates was memorable in Roanoke but I can't remember much else.

I gave up on the Trump one and the one with the ski guy after the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2021 7:11 PM

I had a hard time keeping up with that season with the back and forth between real life and the documentary

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2021 7:57 PM

Hotel was the worst. Lady Fuckface was a huge let down from La Lange.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2021 8:19 PM

Hotel was the BEST, R14.

Stylish, scary, and substantive.

You're clueless.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2021 8:34 PM

We've all felt trapped.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2021 8:35 PM

The whole franchise took a huge shit after the second season.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2021 8:53 PM

Hotel, Cult, Roanoke, 1984 all sucked ass.

Apocalypse was okay but nothing will ever compare to the Lange years.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2021 9:02 PM

I only watched the two Stevie Nicks seasons.

Oh, and the one where Dylan McDermott got groped by the gay.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2021 9:06 PM

[quote] American Horror Story Spinoff Teases the Return of Murder House

Horror comes home.

This was the very message highlighted in the new teaser pic for American Horror Story's spinoff series, titled American Horror Stories. Promising an "American Horror Summer" ahead of AH Stories' July 15 premiere on FX on Hulu, the new promotional image featured a key fixature American Horror Story fans know quite well. We're, of course, talking about the season one's terrifying location: Murder House.

Surrounded by dark clouds, crows and a blood red field, Murder House sits in the distance as a new Rubber Man, or rather Rubber Woman, looks on. So, how much of Murder House can we expect from the new spinoff? We aren't necessarily sure.

As E! News readers may recall, AH Stories "is a weekly anthology series that will feature a different horror story each episode," according to FX Chairman John Landgraf. Thus, Murder House may only return for one part of the new show.

In regard to the mysterious Rubber Woman? It's unclear who has picked up the daunting suit, which was first made famous by Evan Peters' Tate Langdon character in season one. Later on in the series, devil spawn Michael Langdon (Cody Fern) donned the suit to commit murders in, you guessed it, the Murder House.

Earlier this month, creator Ryan Murphy took to Instagram to reveal the cast—which includes Glee's Kevin McHale, Pose's Dyllón Burnside, Riverdale's Charles Melton and The Prom's Nico Greetham—who would be leading AH Stories. Alongside a photo of the four actors, Ryan wrote, "The Fantastic Four."

Following the announcement, Kevin also took to Instagram to share the same group photo, writing, "Prom + Glee + Pose + Hotel = ?" (For the record, Charles is an American Horror Story alum, having appeared in two episodes from season five, American Horror Story: Hotel.)

Fans of the franchise are certainly in for a scary summer as, once the spooky spinoff wraps, season 10 of the OG series, titled American Horror Story: Double Feature, will premiere Wednesday, August 25 on FX. Last month, the network teased, "More horror than you can handle."

You can say that again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2021 12:31 AM

Roanoke had to be my least favorite season.

I do have to give them credit for at least trying something different with the reality show angle, but in the end it was just dismal. Also Evan Peters had such a small role and was hardly in that season. I always enjoy his work on AHS - even if he is chewing the scenery at times, at least you can tell he's enjoying himself.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2021 12:42 AM

SHE felt trapped?

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2021 12:51 AM

[quote] Yeah, I'm sure the "exposure" and paycheck might make it worth it but it's not like his work usually rises above anything other than camp.

I agree that that’s probably what motivates the return players, but I don’t think it’s accurate to call this crappy series ‘camp’.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2021 12:53 AM

Did you see 1984, R23?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2021 1:02 AM

I think she feels trapped by dating her 80 year old girlfriend.

THIS is how your life could be Sarah...take some guidance from your younger sister and you could have a smoke show like her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2021 1:15 AM

Isnt that funny,I quit watching AHS because I was sick to death of seeing her face and shitty acting.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2021 1:33 AM

I’ve never liked her face, either. It bothers me in the same way that Vera Farmiga’s face does. Just something … alien about both of them.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2021 1:36 AM

Maybe it's just you're too sensitive, r27.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2021 7:04 AM

Hotel was when I dropped the series. It was fucking terrible. All style, no substance

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2021 7:20 AM

These things have been trash for a long time.

He should try something different, like a creature feature. He does variations of the same thing over and over and over.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2021 7:38 AM

I liked Cult. The worst one was Apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2021 7:44 AM

The only good things about Roanoke were Lily Rabe and Adina Porter in starring roles and Evan playing gay for the first time. Other than that it was a lousy season. Cult was lackluster. Apocalypse was amazing but could've used more episodes. They tried to cram way too much into that season. 1984 had it's moments. But was a bit of a letdown. Emma Roberts (playing against bitchy mean girl type for once) and Angelica Ross made a great team. It was also nice to see studly Finn Wittrock again.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2021 9:45 AM

I preferred Roanoke to Cult. I've liked all the seasons though, overall - it's one of my favourite shows.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2021 10:10 AM

[quote]The only good things about Roanoke were Lily Rabe and Adina Porter in starring roles and Evan playing gay for the first time

I think this was the last time they had the whole gang together. Wes Bentley, Kathy Bates and Lady Gaga appeared briefly. Cheyenne Jackson, Leslie Jordan, Taissa Farmiga and Dennis O'Hare were there as well. Matt Bomer even did a voice-over in the last episode. Angela was there too. Adina Porter being *the* lead, in the end, was a breath of fresh air. It broke the formula in a way that it needed to. How many times can we revolve the show around Sarah and company? I liked the season for being different.

Of course, that was also the season where Ryan did no promotion other than saying he'd let the story be revealed and speak for itself. He of course never did that again.

I would have liked Hotel if it didn't focus on Lady Gaga's character. I didn't think she was strong enough to carry it. They should have let it finally focus on Angela instead with Gaga's Countess as just another resident.

Apocalypse was fun because it reminded me of all of the earlier seasons, even if it seemed rushed and disjointed. It was nice having "The Coven" back together which just reminded me of how much I loved the earlier seasons before Hotel.

In comparison to what Sarah has said, Gabourey Sidibe did a brief appearance in AHS: Hotel as a favor to Ryan Murphy as Emma Roberts had to drop out of the episode last minute. She got permission from "Empire" to let her do it. She then returned for Apocalypse for a few episodes after getting permission from Empire as well. Angela Basset wasn't originally planned to be in Apocalypse but fans made a stink and Angela herself said she was never asked so of course Ryan then had to write in her very brief appearance in the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2021 2:06 PM

[quote] The only good things about Roanoke were Lily Rabe and Adina Porter in starring roles and Evan playing gay for the first time.

I don't remember that. What role did he play?

The only gay I remember Evan playing, was when he fucked Colton Haynes.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2021 4:46 PM

All I remember about her performance during that season was her awful British accent. You could tell she was phoning it in.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2021 6:11 PM

I can’t stand this crafty, opportunistic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2021 11:53 AM

I felt so trapped making more money for a few months work than most people would make in their life. I felt so trapped having roles written for me to star in, instead of having to audition.

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2021 12:48 PM

Roanoke was the one with the most developed African-American protagonists (Andre Holland, always great) and Adina Porter. That's why I watched it.

She should have kept her privileged piehole shut, since she's not all that special as an actor, but she gets cast by RM in everything he does, regardless.

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2021 1:03 PM

Ryan Murphy is like a white Tyler Perry. Everything they do (and they both do a lot) is really just awful. It is not even mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2021 2:29 PM

R31 I am binge-watching Apocalypse right now. Missed it entirely when it aired and it's actually quite fun to watch. SP was completely wooden in it, but all the other actors camped it up to the max. LMAO when the "white witch" showed up...

by Anonymousreply 41July 17, 2021 2:35 AM

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the first season. The second season was strange but cool. I can take or leave Coven, Apocalypse was meh at best. I never got into Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 42July 17, 2021 4:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!