Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carole Landis, gone too soon

I watched Moon over Miami this on TCM today. Betty Grable and Carole Landis as sisters trying to hook rich men in Miami.

Carole must have been 20 in 1941 when the movie was made. I didn't realize who she was and thought she was pretty but fragile looking. Something about her eyes. Then I remembered she committed suicide and went down that internet rabbit hole.

Married the first time at 15 and three more times before dying. Was having an affair with Res Harrison when she committed suicide. He found her unconscious and didn't call an ambulance and was blamed for the negligent way in which he handled that. She died before help finally came.

Hers is quite a story. She worked regularly but never hit it big like other stars of the era. It's said she killed herself over Harrison but after reading things she's said, it sounds like she also struggled with depression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 12, 2022 1:10 AM

Argh! My kingdom for an edit feature on DL!

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2021 2:47 AM

She was a huge whore!

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2021 2:50 AM

Didn't Rachel Roberts also kill herself because of Rex Harrison?

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2021 2:55 AM

Glad to see more Old Hollywood posts again (my favorite). I can’t imagine being married five times before 30. Won’t post it, but I accidentally came across a photo of her suicide while googling it. How awful.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2021 3:01 AM

Here are more photos of Carole on a website run by her great niece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2021 3:01 AM

R3, yes! He was also married SIX times. Not to mention multiple affairs. I don’t find him particularly attractive, but this guy must have had a magical schlong. Anybody here ever see it??

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2021 3:06 AM

Carole's last day.

So sad. I'm embarrassed about how morbid I am.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2021 3:12 AM

Carlos Thompson, Lilli Palmer's husband after Rex Harrison, was quite good looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2021 3:18 AM

"This was at least the third time she had attempted suicide but in the past she had always been rescued by friends."

I mean, Rex as obviously a lout, but I think this explains it all. She probably had borderline personality disorder - suicide and suicide attemps are common, along with self-harm, with that condition.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2021 3:33 AM

*Rex WAS - and I misspelled attempts... common with the condition of illiteracy... sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2021 3:34 AM

Zanuck's 4pm.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2021 3:40 AM

Quite big tits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2021 3:49 AM

Aw, OP, she sounds like she was troubled and threw herself into work to feel better.

All of her traveling during WWII to entertain the troops probably helped keep her depression at bay.

She was a knockout, wasn't she? What a fucking shame. I mean Rex Harrison? Bleh.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2021 6:45 AM

Carole’s house today:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2021 4:35 PM

Lilli Palmer wrote there was a pet cemetery in Hollywood (later satirized in the novel THE LOVED ONE) that would send a card commemorating your deceased pet each year, saying, “Somewhere in Heaven, Spot” (or whoever) “is thinking of you and wagging his tail today.”

For years the aghast Lilli and Rex received the same type of card every July 5th that said, “Somewhere in Heaven, Carole is thinking of you and wagging her tail today.”

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2021 4:58 PM

I just fell down the Carole Landis rabbit hole (after watching I Wake Up Screaming)

They published her death photos:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2022 5:48 PM

Rex Harrison was a complete doichebag. And a racist to boot. I think that even his own children despised him.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2022 6:14 PM

Rex Harrison had so many affairs the movie tabloids and gossip columnists used to refer to him as "Sexy Rexy." On the other hand, he was supposedly an enormous misogynist and extremely rude to women--he regularly referred to them as "cunts" within their hearing (though to be fair, that word is not as offensive to Brits as it is to Americans). He was extremely obnoxious and harassing towards Julie Andrews during rehearsals for "My Fair Lady" and she is reportedly one of the nicest and most professional people in entertainment. (Although she was apparently frustrating for a long time during rehearsals because it took her forever to learn how to do the right Cockney accent--she had had proper diction and an upper-class accent hammered into her as a child star, and getting her to unlearn that finally involved Moss Hart taking her aside for an entire weekend--he had to threaten that if she didn;t get the right accent by the end of the weekend, they would have to let her go.)

Another weird detail about how unpleasant Harrison was--he was apparently enormously flatulent the 1950s and farted constantly during the performances of My fair Lady (both Andrews and Alan jay Jerner talk about this in their memoirs--Andrews describes him as "a windy gentleman").

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2022 6:15 PM

I didn’t know that she was so helpful to African Americans. Bless her heart for that.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2022 6:17 PM

There were rumors that Landis worked as a call girl when she was a young actress trying to make it. She also had the reputation of being, essentially, a studio whore, DTF whatever executives or other bigwigs that needed fucking.

You Must Remember This did an excellent podcast on her:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2022 6:47 PM

Is there truth that Carole Landis and Jacqueline Susann had an affair??

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2022 7:32 PM

Rachel Roberts had been divorced from Harrison for nearly a decade when she took her own life, so I don't think he can be blamed for her suicide. Also, I believe I heard that Jennifer North in VOTD was based on Landis.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2022 7:45 PM

Rachel Roberts' method of suicide was much more dramatic than Carole's.

After taking some barbituates, she also swallowed some drain cleaner to make sure the job got done. The drain cleaner built up pressure in her system and exploded tossing her through the sliding glass door in her California home. She did it the weekend that ex Rex was opening in a revival of MY FAIR LADY in LA and hoped to get the headlines - but her body wasn't discovered for about a week - so no go, RR.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2022 3:06 PM

Yikes r23

by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2022 3:09 PM

Shit R23.

I'm wondering if Landis went back in the bathroom to puke. That many pills make you nauseous.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2022 4:16 PM

R20, thank you so much for that link! I will dive into it today.

by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2022 4:39 PM

R20, I also heard that podcast episode when I ALSO went down an Old Hollywood rabbit hole a few weeks ago. Excellent podcast in general and extremely well researched.

As for Landis, I always got that impression about her even before listening to that epi. She was basically one of the studio's good-time girls but thought she could pull a Crawford or Monroe and become a star from it.

Instead she's closer to a Barbara Payton (another great episode from that podcast).

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2022 5:07 PM

[quote]Also, I believe I heard that Jennifer North in VOTD was based on Landis.

With a dash of Marilyn?

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2022 5:15 PM

Jesus said a few good things.

One of them was "Let he who is without sin should cast the first stone, R17 and R18".

And another one, "People who still seethe over events from six decades ago, R17 and R18, could do with looking at themselves".

by Anonymousreply 29March 11, 2022 10:35 PM

Carole Landis was good friends with Kay Francis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 11, 2022 10:43 PM

Her real name was Frances Ridste.

And they worked poor Francis like a horse; 60 movies in ten years.

by Anonymousreply 31March 11, 2022 10:48 PM

R22, She had recently tried to get back with him. Unrequited love was definitely what moved Rachel to her hideous method of suicide.

And given what Carole Landis felt she had to do for her career, plus her association with Harrison, her suicide isn't a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 32March 11, 2022 10:50 PM

In the diary of Richard Burton he writes that he and Liz watched in horror as drunk Rachel Roberts crawled about the floor and tried to masturbate a dog.

by Anonymousreply 33March 11, 2022 10:55 PM

^ Liz and Dick did worse.

by Anonymousreply 34March 11, 2022 11:13 PM

Carole Landis was no Carole Lombard.

She wasn't even a poor man's Rita Hayworth or even a poor man's Betty Grable.

by Anonymousreply 35March 11, 2022 11:26 PM

Carole Landis did 60 movies.

But which was the best one?

by Anonymousreply 36March 12, 2022 12:09 AM

R35, Landis was originally going to be cast by Zanuck for the title role in My Gal Sal. But Landis refused to dye her hair red for the part. So Zanuck borrowed Rita Hayworth from Columbia to play Sal, and cast Landis in a small part in the film where she gets ditched early in the film by Victor Mature for Rita Hayworth's character.

by Anonymousreply 37March 12, 2022 1:02 AM

Carole was very beautiful and had a sensational figure and photographed well. But her singing voice was unpleasantly flat, by comparison Grable sound like Garland. Carole also got bad publicity for her own "wardrobe malfunction" while attending the 1941 Ceremony ceremony when her slip fell out of her dress. By 1942, Zanuck threw Landis into B-films where she came across very well having great screen chemistry with her frequent co-star and friend Caesar Romero. DANCE HALL is a terrific, tough romantic comedy (coming across as more Warners than Fox) and A GENTLEMEN AT HEART about a bookie who gets involved with art forgers is very funny.

Interesting tid-bit. For years it was believed that Caroles1941. B-musical CADET GIRL was lost. Not even Fox had a print of it. One 35 mm copy was discovered at UCLA and was screened at the 2010 Cinecon.....though she was at her most beautiful, and had handsome George Montgomery as a co-star, it had a weak score buy Robin & Rainer and a worse plot. and it was pretty bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 12, 2022 1:03 AM

OFGS, r34. Shut up with your fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 39March 12, 2022 1:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!