Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was Shirley Temple Black openly supportive of the gay community?

I always hear how she was pro-choice and gay friendly. A quick internet search confirms she was socially progressive, but I can't find anything relating to the Briggs Initiative, Proposition 8, the Equality Act or the gay community in general. Was she an ally or not?

by Anonymousreply 61June 28, 2021 4:36 AM

Anybody?

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2021 8:59 PM

[Quote] Was Shirley Temple Black

No

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2021 9:03 PM

She was a Republicunt.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2021 9:04 PM

I picked up my mother at the hairdresser's in Woodside Calif in the 90s and Shirley was sitting there getting her hair done. That's all I got.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2021 9:05 PM

Classic pin curls?

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2021 9:06 PM

Shirley loved the gays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2021 9:13 PM

R5. Fuck, yeah

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2021 9:15 PM

Little Shirley & her mother were invited to the home of legendary actress Helen Hayes (Hayes had a daughter close in age to Shirley), Helen commented, that when Shirley was older, Shirley should play the role of Juliet in "Romeo and Juliet", and Helen could play the role of the nurse.

Mrs. Temple, apparently not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, replied "Isn't there suicide in that?"

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2021 9:28 PM

Who cares ?she’s dead what difference does it make? Does she need to be canceled? FFS!

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2021 9:31 PM

repug or not? but try this

Graham Greene’s infamous (and racist) review of Shirley’s Wee Willie Winkie (1937)

The owners of a child star are like leaseholders — their property diminishes in value every year. Time’s chariot is at their backs: before them acres of anonymity. What is Jackie Coogan now but a matrimonial squabble? Miss Shirley Temple’s case, though, has peculiar interest: infancy with her is a disguise, her appeal is more secret and more adult. Already two years ago she was a fancy little piece — real childhood, I think, went out after The Littlest Rebel). In Captain January she wore trousers with the mature suggestiveness of a Dietrich: her neat and well-developed rump twisted in the tap-dance: her eyes had a sidelong searching coquetry. Now in Wee Willie Winkie, wearing short kilts, she is a complete totsy. Watch her swaggering stride across the Indian barrack-square: hear the gasp of excited expectation from her antique audience when the sergeant’s palm is raised: watch the way she measures a man with agile studio eyes, with dimpled depravity. Adult emotions of love and grief glissade across the mask of childhood, a childhood skin-deep. . It is clever but it cannot last. Her admirers — middle aged men and clergymen — respond to her dubious coquetry, to the sight of her well-shaped and desirable little body, packed with enormous vitality, only because the safety curtain of story and dialogue drops between their intelligence and their desire. “Why are you making my Mummy cry?” — what could be purer than that? And the scene when dressed in a white nightdress she begs grandpa to take Mummy to a dance — what could be more virginal? On those lines in her new picture, made by John Ford, who directed The Informer, is horrifyingly competent. It isn’t hard to stay to the last prattle and the last sob. The story — about an Afghan robber converted by Wee Willie Winkie to the British Raj — is a long way after Kipling. But we needn’t be sour about that. Both stories are awful, but on the whole Hollywood’s is the better.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2021 9:44 PM

She reported Arthur Freed exposed himself to her when she was a child. She obviously could not making that horrible story up. I wonder if he did it to Judy, too.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2021 9:50 PM

Let’s ask Bonnie Mace. Maybe she has a story about Shirley to tell.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2021 9:57 PM

Great. Now a suppose On the Good Ship Lollipop was something dirty. Is that it?

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2021 10:00 PM

I always liked the rumor that she was a 40 year old dwarf.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote] I always hear how she was pro-choice and gay friendly.

Always? Who do you hang out with? How does this "always" come up? It's kind of weird.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2021 10:33 PM

"How does this "always" come up? It's kind of weird."

I imagine it goes like this: Hello! - Catch up - Shirley Temple Talk

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2021 10:47 PM

"her neat and well-developed rump . . .she is a complete totsy. . .Her admirers — middle aged men and clergymen — respond to her dubious coquetry, to the sight of her well-shaped and desirable little body. . ."

Heterosexuals are fucking weird.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2021 10:48 PM

I met her briefly at Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, Ca.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2021 12:38 AM

Well, she wasn't thrilled with Myra Breckinridge...

"After this movie's first previews, the White House insisted that the footage inserted into this movie from Heidi (1937) be immediately withdrawn. The footage featured Shirley Temple-Black, who at the time was a United States Ambassador."

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2021 12:43 AM

Listen little Shirley saved Daryl's ass big time. She should have become a billionaire with what they owed her. Disney a while ago paid 71 billion for Fox and they already owned Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2021 1:08 AM

I believe back in the day Shirley was a huge donor to the Mattachine Society and was seen handing Marsha Johnson a brick that fateful June evening

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2021 1:23 AM

r17...not heterosexuals...pedophiles.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2021 3:13 AM

I must be missing something because what's quoted at r10 isn't racist.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2021 3:18 AM

R17, Greene was calling out the pedos who liked Shirley Temple and the studio who knew exactly who they were marketing her to. He specifically mentions middle-aged men and the clergy.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2021 3:19 AM

John Ford, who directed Wee Willie Winkie, called her "One Take Temple."

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2021 3:25 AM

Why does this matter at this late date? She's dead. She's largely forgotten---her merch is worthless on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2021 3:26 AM

She should have been the dirndl-clad ambassador to Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2021 4:26 AM

She was clearly a fore-barker in the furry scene.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2021 5:32 AM

She was a Republican.

What do you think, OP?

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2021 5:38 AM

I'm not even going to try, R6!

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2021 9:29 AM

I tried to confide my love of the dick to that little bitch, and she wouldn't hear of it.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2021 10:04 AM

During her lifetime the Republican party was the first to support the ERA, R29. It was a lot more moderate than it is now.

by Anonymousreply 32June 27, 2021 3:13 PM

Love that review in R10. Very well written. A couple years ago I saw something with ST on the tee-vee, and I was taken aback as the reviewer was at how risque and adult the dance routine was. You could interpret it as childish camp, but I felt dirty seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 33June 27, 2021 3:22 PM

Shirley was a Republicunt of a long ago age - pro-choice, pro-business and gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2021 4:22 PM

Where's the proof, R34? That's the point of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 35June 27, 2021 4:29 PM

She did have a gay son-

by Anonymousreply 36June 27, 2021 4:43 PM

Her gossipy hairdresser told me Shirley was very upset about not having a piece of the income her films were generating. This was around 2000 when ads for video cassettes of her films were running regularly on TV.

by Anonymousreply 37June 27, 2021 4:48 PM

These ads drove Ambassador Black batshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2021 4:59 PM

I was working for the State Department when Shirley was Ambassador to Czechoslovakia. While I did not know her personally, she had a great reputation and respect from all who worked with her. She spoke, at least, five different languages and made a great social and political representative for our country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 27, 2021 5:03 PM

If you think about how other Hollywood legends ended up(Monroe dead from an overdose, Crawford starring in B movies, Lamarr a recluse), representing your country abroad while keeping your legacy intact isn't a bad way to bow out.

by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2021 5:14 PM

True. And the fact that she started so young could have easily led to disaste. Instead she married and raised a family in Woodside a quiet affluent village above Palo Alto. She was a nice person. Her eyes sparkled even in old age.

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2021 5:42 PM

R39 Are you still with the State Department? Where you an FSO?

by Anonymousreply 42June 27, 2021 5:50 PM

^^ No, retired FSO now. Served in Nicaragua (1985-1988); Colombia (1989-1991); New Zealand (1992-1995); England (1996-1998); Saudi Arabia (1999-2002); Bahrain (2003-2004). It was a wild ride!

by Anonymousreply 43June 27, 2021 9:15 PM

Which was your favourite, R43?

by Anonymousreply 44June 27, 2021 9:22 PM

^Diplomatic answer is all for different reasons. But, personally, it was New Zealand... hands down. Wellington is gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 45June 27, 2021 9:30 PM

She was a secret smoker who died from COPD.

by Anonymousreply 46June 27, 2021 11:14 PM

She died in her 80s so I'd say go ahead and smoke.

by Anonymousreply 47June 27, 2021 11:31 PM

She was a prostitution whore probably got fucked by everyone in Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 48June 27, 2021 11:41 PM

Surely, she was neither a temple nor black. Discuss...

by Anonymousreply 49June 27, 2021 11:46 PM

R43 I am an FSO myself, although only on my second tour. Hope my career can be as illustrious as yours! I

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2021 11:46 PM

R46 people weren't secret smokers back then - everybody smoked

by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2021 11:57 PM

[quote] "She reported Arthur Freed exposed himself to her when she was a child. "

As I recall, she reportedly giggled at him. It may have been out of nervousness/not knowing how to respond in the moment, but I think that's funny, even if the entire situation is disgusting.

Roger Edens > Arthur Freed.

Edens wasn't a sexual predator, was better looking (though that isn't a great accomplishment, given Freed was almost as physically repulsive as George Cukor), lived as a gay man in Hollywood beginning in the 1930s, and had one more Academy Award nominations and wins than Freed.

So, fuck that cold, dead pedophile Arthur Freed. I'm with Shirley on this one.

by Anonymousreply 52June 28, 2021 12:00 AM

[quote]people weren't secret smokers back then - everybody smoked

It wasn't so much that she smoked secretly, but like Jackie O, she didn't want her smoking to be seen as part of her public image, even as an older woman.

by Anonymousreply 53June 28, 2021 12:02 AM

r51 she hid her smoking because she didn't want to set a bad example. She smoked to the end.

by Anonymousreply 54June 28, 2021 12:27 AM

If all Shirley Temple Black did wrong was smoke cigarettes and be a Republican then I don't care. I just don't.

I read her autobiography. Why? Well I don't really know why exactly but I did just all the same.

When she was barely out of diapers she was doing shorts and such. One of the directors had a mode of punishment for the wee children where they had to go into a windowless and tiny wooden portable closet of a sort and sit on a block of ice if they missed a line one to many times or what have you. Think of those little dresses for toddler girls back then. Sick!

She was worked like a dog and her mother would read her scripts aloud to her while she was laying in bed. She couldn't even have anytime to herself in her own bedroom prior to going to sleep. Her mother would give her dinner, give her a bath, set her hair, and read her scripts aloud to her instead of a bedtime story or just let her play with her dolls or something.

Her parents also went through her money. She got a great deal less than she was supposed to. A very great deal less.

Somehow Shirley Temple Black hung in there. Haven't a clue as to how but she did. I think she was naturally intelligent and that might have been her saving grace.

Apparently Republicans from ages ago were what one might call moderate. I'm not a Republican of any sort personally. Maybe Shirley Temple Black wasn't homophobic is how I figure it. She obviously wasn't intolerant minded because she did a few movies with Bill Robinson and got along well with him because he was a decent man (and apparently really patient with her) but she had to defend that in interviews for ages.

I'll leave you all with the poor dear being interviewed on "Attitudes." I was going to go with her Larry King interview but Linda Dano's ensemble and fangirling is just too much. Consider it a gift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 28, 2021 12:56 AM

She was a stunning woman. You could see where her daughter Karen got her beauty from.

by Anonymousreply 56June 28, 2021 12:58 AM

Linda Dano is on the dolls in that clip. Liza territory.

by Anonymousreply 57June 28, 2021 2:20 AM

Linda Dano was such a drag queen! Loved her. She rocked those 80s fashions like nobody else.

by Anonymousreply 58June 28, 2021 2:41 AM

I was on a business trip in San Francisco about fifteen years ago when I stopped for dinner alone at a restaurant on Market Street on my way to a night out in the Castro. This 50-something guy was by himself next to me at the bar, black-out adjacent. He kept trying to make conversation with me as I ate. Eventually I guess he decided it was time to go home. He tried to pay me to drive him in his car back to Noe Valley or wherever. After I declined several times, he walked out of the restaurant, so I told the bartender what had happened. Bartender went outside and (I hope) called the guy a cab. When the bartender came back in, he let me know that the drunk guy was a regular and that he was Shirley Temple’s son.

I never watched Heidi again.

by Anonymousreply 59June 28, 2021 3:19 AM

She wasn't, but Jane Withers was. She even made a special fragrance for her gay fans to use: Eau de Jane Withers.

by Anonymousreply 60June 28, 2021 3:21 AM

Anyone know the latest on her daughter Lori Black/Lorex? Apparently she led quite a colorful life - and apparently has pulled it together.

by Anonymousreply 61June 28, 2021 4:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!