Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What can I do with an Insta-Pot?

I bought one about six months ago, and I've never even opened it.

I have no clue what to do or make with it.

To be honest, I don't really even know what it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2022 10:12 PM

Why did you buy it?

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2021 6:16 AM

You have to read the instructions first on how to use it, so you don't hurt yourself, especially with the escaping steam. I really like my Insta-Pot. You can make stuff like boiled eggs, steamed veggies like cauliflower, eggplant, etc. I like to make chicken curry as well as turkey chili. You can even use it to make yogurt! If you buy some special pots, covers, in addition to what they give you, you can make stuff like a turkey meat loaf in it as well. You have to put some water or liquid in there for the pressure cooker to get to pressure, which takes a few minutes depending on what you're cooking, the the time it's at pressure, then you have to decide whether to do a quick or slow release. I never do a quick release, since then the steam will burst out quite forcefully; I usually wait some minutes so it'll continue cooking while the steam starts to relieve itself and maybe then I'll release the valve so it won't come out full blast. But you have to read up on it. It's a very useful way to cook, especially in summer months, as it won't heat up your kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2021 6:23 AM

I had a 30% off online coupon from CVS, so I decided to use it on something fairly expensive.

I got about $40 knocked off the sticker price.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2021 6:24 AM

That sounds scary, R2.

I didn't know it was like a pressure cooker.

Those things terrify me.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2021 6:25 AM

It chiefly is a pressure cooker, but you can also use it as a slow cooker as well. Read the instructions on-line if you can. If you don't open it, you can probably sell it. There are a lot of safety precautions (like the lid won't open up if it's under pressure), etc. built into it. You just have to stand back up from the valve when you release pressure. Plus I use potholders and turn the cover away from me as I open the lid as a shield from steam. I find it very useful; there are plenty of videos and things written about using it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2021 6:31 AM

stand back "away" from the steam valve (keep your head and face, etc.) from it, so you don't get burned, that is.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2021 6:33 AM

My sister bought one of these because it was all the rage in suburban CT and NJ last year. While this seems more like an all-purpose cooker, my sister uses it mainly for steaming vegetables. It seems foolish to spend that much on this just to use it as a steamer. Surely a steamer would have been a better buy for her.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2021 6:34 AM

There are a lot of cookbooks (and videos and recipes on-line) which show you things you can make. I slice up slices of eggplant and put some tomato sauce and cauliflower to make ratatouille. Or just eggplant with tomato sauce and cheese for eggplant parmigiana (with some liquid coming out like tomato soup because you need to have some water in the Insta-pot). Chicken curry with Trader Joe curry sauce, small pototoes (or sweet potatoes), chopped onions, red peppers, and seasoning make very good chicken curry (with liquid like curry chicken soup -- again because you need to add some liquid for the pot to come to pressure).

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2021 6:43 AM

Amazon Prime Day sometime has deals where you can get an Insta-Pot for like $60 or so, which is very good, since they are usually around $100.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2021 6:44 AM

[quote]You can make stuff like boiled eggs,

I prefer this. Takes up way less space than an Instapot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2021 6:48 AM

It’s a sex device, OP. You plug it in, put your junk in it, then turn it on.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2021 6:51 AM

[quote] You can make stuff like boiled eggs,

Or you could always use one of these...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2021 6:53 AM

It turns everything into hot slush.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2021 6:54 AM

[quote]steamed veggies like cauliflower, eggplant, etc.

It's way easier to just steam in a microwave and you still maintain nutrients.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2021 6:58 AM

It’s also handy to disinfect your sex toys and butt plugs!

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2021 7:09 AM

A lot. But just a word of warning, if you have cats it will scare the fuck out of them when you release the valve.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2021 7:58 AM

Here is what you can make.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2021 8:20 AM

I've already got a Crockpot, a rice cooker, a couple plug-in skillets, a waffle maker, and a George Foreman Grill. I do not have a Fry Daddy. Can I replace some/all of these and make fries too? I ran out of wall outlets some time ago.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2021 8:30 AM

Is an Insta-Pot anything like an Insta-HO?

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2021 10:26 AM

You have two choices.

1) Take it back to the store

2) Sell it on ebay

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2021 4:14 PM

Columbian chicken stew. No joke.

I'm used to making chicken stock from scratch for several hours, but I was blown away by how flavorful this was with only a handful of ingredients. The key difference is you don't add any liquid, which is typically mandatory for pressure cooking. It makes it's own broth.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2021 6:05 PM

There is no such thing as an "Insta-Pot." The product is INSTANT POT.

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2021 8:40 PM

OP, allow me to introduce you to Jeff and his Pressure Luck Cooking channel.

Warning: he loves Better than Bouillon and Boursin. Uses them A LOT in his videos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2021 8:53 PM

Yeah I ignore the pressure cooker and air fryers are nothing but tiny convection ovens.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2021 9:06 PM

get fat?

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2021 9:21 PM

make homemade yogurt - your very own poop yogurt!~

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2021 9:33 PM

It’s the best thing I have bought because it’s very versatile and replaces many other appliances. It also makes the best Jasmine rice, 1 cup of rice to 1 cup of water, and you will never use your rice cooker or cook rice on the stove.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2021 9:40 PM

How is that different from a rice cooker, R27?

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2021 1:00 AM

It looks like it’s a lot quicker R28

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2021 4:25 AM

Lots of good recipes here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2021 4:34 AM

I’m probably in the minority here, but I love brussels sprouts. I’ve made them following this recipes numerous times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2021 4:42 AM

I have made excellent pulled port, the best chili I've ever made, some awesome from scratch soups, chicken curry/butter chicken, stews, jam in summer, carnitas, even desserts (although I've never tried a dessert). However, there tend to be a lot more recipes that favor cool weather meals for the most part.

I love brussels, r31. I don't get the hate for them, they are just miniature cabbages.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2021 5:58 AM

^^pulled pork

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2021 6:09 AM

Roasted/crispy B. Spouts are awesome. My favorite vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2021 7:41 AM

There are You-Tube videos you can watch on how to use it safely. I bought one last year and made a chicken dish but it came out too watery and the rice was a mess. I hardly use it. It was a waste of money.

Now my Dutch oven and food processor are worth it.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2021 7:53 AM

I just caught an episode of Pioneer Woman, and Ree Drummond used her Insta Pot to cook short ribs.

It looked so easy, and she could do everything including browning the meat, inside the pot.

She basically browned the short ribs in the pot, then took them out.

After that, she added mirepoix (celery, carrots, onions) and garlic into the pot and sauteed them with oil. Then she added tomato paste, red wine, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and thyme.

After bringing that to a simmer, she put the short ribs back in the pot, closed the lid and set the timer for 40 minutes.

After releasing the steam, she let that sit for about 5 minutes. Then she took out the short ribs, and they were fully cooked, with a nice sauce in the pot, to spoon over the short ribs.

It was so easy!

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2021 4:23 PM

I have the Vortex (basically a mini convection oven) and I love it. Makes potatoes close to fries while minimizing the caloric and fat damage and it whips up a moist boneless breast like nothing I have ever seen. Love the thing but yes, it is a mini convection oven.

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2021 4:31 PM

We use ours constantly. We even bake cakes in it. We use it to cook a whole chicken, or to boil eggs, to make soups, to cook beans, rice, noodles, apples, sauces, cheesecake, you name it, we have done it. About the only things you can't cook in it are things that need a crust, like bread, pie or cookies. We have used ours at least 300 times in the last 3 years. And the pot part itself has held up very well. That thing is indestructible.

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2021 4:35 PM

I do not find the InstaPot website very user friendly... the navigability is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2021 4:36 PM

I was perusing Youtube for recipes for stuffed cabbage. I already know how to make it, but I was just curious how others do it. One thing I came across was a video where the guy used his Instapot to cook and soften the head of cabbage itself, which I thought was genius. Traditionally you would boil it and it doesn't necessarily cook evenly, Plus it's a pain lifting it out of a pot of hot boiling water.

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2021 4:37 PM

OP must have been high when he bought it, thinking it was some sort of instant weed maker.

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2021 4:38 PM

^ If only!

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote]What can I do with an Insta-Pot?

Return it. So you spent $120 in order to save $40, and received something you neither understand, nor need. This is brilliant economic thought, OP...do you work for the government?

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2021 4:54 PM

Well, when you put it [italic]that[/italic] way....

by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2021 5:08 PM

Can you steam artichokes in them? I haven't used mine either.

by Anonymousreply 45August 1, 2021 5:48 PM

Try it R45, and get back to us.

Just play around with it. Couldn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 46August 1, 2021 7:48 PM

Yes, you can steam artichokes in the Instant Pot, but it takes preparation of them, then 30 minutes of steaming at pressure, then 15 minutes of pressure release. I don't like artichokes enough to try it, so I've never tried it. There are written instructions and videos available if you want to try it.

by Anonymousreply 47August 1, 2021 8:12 PM

R45, when in doubt ask YouTube.

I found it for you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2021 8:21 PM

I pressure cook green peanuts in mine.

The 2021 green peanut season has started BTW.

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2021 8:25 PM

R45 I found another video.

This lady tells you how to do it in under 2 minutes.

I like her explanation better than at R48, because she explains a how to use the Instant Pot controls better than the lady at R48.

Although that lady does give a nice little suggestion of cutting off the leave tips, which I like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2021 8:32 PM

This one is only 36 seconds!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2021 8:41 PM

Yet another thing we don't need.

by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2021 8:43 PM

Cooks artichokes in like 8 minutes. I made really good pork shops. I love mine .

by Anonymousreply 53August 1, 2021 9:00 PM

R53

[quote] I made really good pork shops. I love mine .

Lizsha!

by Anonymousreply 54September 12, 2021 5:44 AM

Southern style boiled peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote]Amazon Prime Day sometime has deals where you can get an Insta-Pot for like $60 or so, which is very good, since they are usually around $100.

Also: Definitely check-out the "New & Used" list for deals on units that have been returned due to cosmetic imperfections. I recently bought an 8-quart pressure cooker -- normally listed at $115.95 -- for $55.00! The only thing "wrong" with it was a very small dent on one side. So minor, it took me a few moments to see it. It's only noticeable from a certain angle.

by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2022 10:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!