Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do British people eat on a daily basis?

American children of working parents grow up on Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, hamburgers, hotdogs, macaroni and cheese, canned vegetables, soup, etc. Do UK folks eat that stuff?

by Anonymousreply 147June 24, 2021 8:45 AM

Beans on toast is a staple.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2021 2:53 AM

Aspic

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2021 2:55 AM

Google.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2021 3:00 AM

OP, no they don't. Young children in Britain eat a lot of fresh peas, a snack after school is often salted and buttered radishes, sometimes smoked fish, or beans and bangers.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2021 3:00 AM

Not food but Brits drink a HELL of a lot more than Americans.

I guess gay British boys know where to find the boys and the BOOZE!

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2021 3:03 AM

The diets increasingly varied tbh. Things as far apart as Spaghetti Bolognese and Curry are accepted as part of the national dish. I can't expertly speak for outside England. But London, Manchester and Liverpool have a thriving ethnic food scene. I Grew up in rural Northern England and going home to meet my mothers cooking is a weird blessing/curse. But the diet has changed rapidly over the last decade. if you'd asked someone in 2011 if the ate Tofu they'd probably have punched you in the face. Now its pretty normal

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2021 3:16 AM

Radishes? After school everyday? That sounds dreadful. I guess it's an acquired taste. Also why British children aren't as overweight as American kids. That, and lots more walking. Americans will get in the car and drive a block to a convenience store.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2021 3:16 AM

Scampi is hugely popular, lots of frozen shrimp is consumed by the brits, also Spam is extremely popular and the U.K is second only to Samoa in Spam consumption.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2021 3:22 AM

I ate Eel Pie today, also known as Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2021 3:22 AM

What the hell, OP? I certainly did not grow-up eating the crap listed in your post, and none of the kids I know now eat it either. Where in godsname do you live?

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2021 3:25 AM

[quote] Radishes? After school everyday? That sounds dreadful. I guess it's an acquired taste.

No more an acquired taste than your dreadful crisps and PB&J. Radishes go really well with jellied eels. All the kids love them. It’s the #1 after school snack.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2021 3:27 AM

All school children are dosed with Metamucil starting in Infants School through Key Stage 3.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2021 3:33 AM

Crisps?!

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2021 3:36 AM

When I lived in London most everyone at A LOT of sandwiches. Also take-away Indian food. I never saw a radish...

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2021 3:37 AM

I have to admit I freakin' love the English breakfast. Its the best breakfast to me of all the cuisines. I can't stand pancakes with syrups and cereal craps. I also find toast and beans very appetizing. Delicious, filling and low on sugar. Fuck! I'm so turned on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2021 3:37 AM

OP - what family eats hamburgers and hot dogs every week? Or even hamburger helper?

I think you're describing people on food stamps. Working class people eat much better than that.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2021 3:38 AM

R13 crissops!

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2021 3:39 AM

Spotted dick

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2021 3:39 AM

[quote] OP - what family eats hamburgers and hot dogs every week? Or even hamburger helper? I think you're describing people on food stamps. Working class people eat much better than that.

Most Working-Age SNAP Participants Work, But Often in Unstable Jobs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2021 3:46 AM

Vanity Fair had James McAvoy and Emily Blunt run down a stereotypical British day and they discuss the food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2021 3:47 AM

Tea and crumpets.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2021 3:54 AM

[quote] No more an acquired taste than your dreadful crisps and PB&J. Radishes go really well with jellied eels. All the kids love them. It’s the #1 after school snack.

Troll

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2021 3:55 AM

R3 that article was very informative, but I can't fathom being able to walk around in public with an alcoholic beverage. In America, that would be a citation for public drunkenness. LOL. I love how relaxed the UK is about drinking.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2021 4:04 AM

They eat a lot of toast. They put weird things on sandwiches, like Space Raiders with Dairylea (what we’d call Laughing Cow).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2021 4:21 AM

cheddar cheese and Branston pickle sandwiches - yum

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2021 4:24 AM

Don't forget Marmite!!

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2021 4:29 AM

r23 The best way I can describe it is American drinking laws are flipped on their head. You can drink ANYWHERE except places that are specifically defined as non alcohol spaces

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2021 4:36 AM

New Orleans and Las Vegas allow public drinking.

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2021 4:38 AM

Off the top of my head - curry, pizza, chips, Sunday roast dinners, breaded fish/fishfingers, baked beans, peas, fried bacon, eggs (fried/scrambled/boiled/poached), sausages, toast, cereal, spaghetti bolognese, chicken pie, lasagne, tinned tuna, burgers, sandwiches, lamb/pork chops, fried potatoes, lots of tea, beer, cider, wine, whisky..

But honestly it probably depends on your family and background; there will be differences. P.S. I've never encountered buttered radishes in my life and the spam thing is an outdated stereotype - never had that either.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2021 4:51 AM

What R29 said. I’ve also never had (or even heard of) buttered radishes....and haven’t had Spam since I was at school.

A standard days eating for me (a standard person) is cereal & toast for breakfast, sandwich & soup for lunch and pasta for dinner. I’ll snack on fruit and/or biscuits (cookies), drink loads of tea through the day and may have wine with dinner.

I do agree that, compared to many other nations, we drink a hell of a lot. We have a very strong drinking culture and our city centres are full of puking drunks every Friday and Saturday night. We also take it with us to other countries like Spain, which is shameful.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2021 6:43 AM

Gruel.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2021 6:47 AM

Who cares? They don't brush their teeth to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2021 8:03 AM

R32 Actually we do.

Is your life difficult now that you have to pretend you don’t hate black people? Is that why you are directing your racism elsewhere?

Waddle off and find another tub of lard to eat, yank.

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2021 8:11 AM

Ham, eggs and chips for my lunch today.

Tonight I'm having baked beans on toast for my tea.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2021 8:12 AM

Tomorrow I'm making Chicken, leek and ham pie for lunch.

I may just do a Caesar salad for my tea tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2021 8:16 AM

Only place I’ve ever encountered buttered radishes was at an American restaurant. They were served with olive tapenade and they were good, actually. Can’t imagine anyone eating them every day as some sort of dietary staple, however.

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2021 8:42 AM

[quote]What do British people eat on a daily basis?

Muddy arse.

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2021 8:43 AM

Cheese sandwich, bacon butty, fish fingers, pie 'n' mash with liquor.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2021 8:44 AM

We do not have Hamburger Helper.

We don't say macaroni AND cheese, it's just macaroni cheese, and it's not generally bought in a box like in the US, usually fresh if it's pre-made, but can be frozen.

Canned vegetables exist but I think they are not much of a thing except for sweetcorn. Soup is widespread - you can get pretty much any type of soup in a can and there are loads of fresh options these days.

One thing you never see in the UK which seems to be (or at least was) popular in the US is meat loaf. Even the name sounds gross to me.

In terms of what British people DO eat on a daily basis, well surely like anywhere it varies and we eat cuisine from around the world - there's no set meals! British people love Indian food, Chinese food, Italian, Greek, Spanish, South American - it's not all roast dinners and fish 'n' chips!

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2021 8:49 AM

R24 no, Dairy Lea and Laughing Cow are two different brands of soft spreadable cheese.

R11 is trolling, hardly anyone eats jellied eels these days let alone kids, and salted buttered radishes are not a common schoolchild snack.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2021 8:52 AM

The full fried breakfast is a cliché. The only people who could eat that every day are either doing heavy work that burns it off, or gluttons. The radish thing isn’t true either. I saw Ina Garten saying that French children have it as a snack. Maybe they did in the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2021 9:59 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2021 10:00 AM

Oh yeah R42 mushy peas from a tin is a thing - I forgot them because I don't like them.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2021 10:11 AM

What Brits were ordering during lockdown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2021 10:26 AM

That list has made me hungry R44

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2021 10:41 AM

UK guy here, and I make all my food from scratch. I’m making lamb dhansak for dinner tonight.

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2021 5:33 PM

Buttered radishes are delicious, but they’re a French dish rather than a British dish. Buttered radishes in a baguette, with a bit of salt - very yummy and somehow just a little elegant.

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2021 5:48 PM

I dated an English guy and he bought some kind of canned peas that were atrocious. Mushy or mashy? I love peas but these had a really weird flavor.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2021 5:48 PM

R3 - my roommate's cousin is married to a vegetarian in Exeter. So when he came at Christmas in 2019, we asked him what an English bus driver can eat without meat and he did say it was pretty standard with the beans on toast but no shame in eating falafel, pizza with vegetable toppings, ordering just lentil or vegetable dishes at curry houses and tofu at Chinese places. Not like EVERYONE is always eating a meat pie or Yorkshire steak anymore. Plus so many fast food have vegetarian options now, it's become a non-issue compared to 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2021 6:23 PM

Bangers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2021 6:41 PM

OPs post is a load of bullshit. We never ate that shit in my house growing up. Everything was homemade and nothing came from a box. In fact, I can't recall one time we ate mac and cheese for dinner, much less hot dogs. That was crap I had a handful of times at a friend's house. The one thing we did have on that list was spaghetti, but even then, we made our spaghetti sauce from fresh or home-canned tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2021 7:02 PM

faggots and spotted dick

by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2021 7:38 PM

I'll have more of the former and less of the latter, if you don't mind.

by Anonymousreply 53June 21, 2021 7:46 PM

[quote] young children in Britain eat a lot of fresh peas,

Unless fresh peas are a LOT more readily available in the UK than they are here, I have a hard time believing that. You can't even find fresh peas at most American supermarkets. They're notorious for not having a long shelf life. And pretty much everyone uses frozen peas, which taste the same -- or better-- than fresh ones.

by Anonymousreply 54June 21, 2021 8:00 PM

Mexican style TAK-ohs.

by Anonymousreply 55June 21, 2021 8:49 PM

R54, you can get small bags of fresh shelled peas in just about any supermarket in the UK, pretty much all year round. Relatively expensive though.

I eat a lot more salad now my husbear has established a corner of the garden for the growing of such things, but I strongly believe that radishes should only ever be used as a BDSM accoutrement.

by Anonymousreply 56June 21, 2021 9:03 PM

They can barely grow tomatoes and squash without special care, but those wonderful flowers (and peas) love it.

by Anonymousreply 57June 21, 2021 9:06 PM

If you gave peas to the average child in the UK you would be abruptly advised to fuck off. Who came up with this nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 58June 21, 2021 9:08 PM

I've watched several UK soaps over the years, and it seems someone's always announcing that they've "MADE A LASAGNE" .. lol!

It's also quite common to try to lure others to show up or do something by announcing you're making spag bol or ordering a curry takeaway. The latter is often followed-up by the mention that there will be extra poppadoms!

After a night of heavy drinking (quite common), the standard is to go for a kebab. During recovery the following day, this often becomes the "dodgy kebab" (while running to the toilet).

When people are feigning illness or actually sick, we often hear mention of having eaten "bad shrimp."

Consumption of coffee (lattes, espresso, etc.) is much more prominently featured.

by Anonymousreply 59June 21, 2021 9:31 PM

I'm an advocate for whirled peas. (All we are saying is, give peas a chance.)

by Anonymousreply 60June 21, 2021 9:42 PM

I had a cottage pie for my dinner tonight.

by Anonymousreply 61June 21, 2021 9:43 PM

My grandma was British and she made my mother endure something that was like Cream of Wheat, with fish in it.

by Anonymousreply 62June 21, 2021 9:50 PM

Why do Brits put corn in everything? Youtuber Mike Jeavons puts it in Spaghetti Bolognese and on tuna sandwiches.😝

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2021 9:55 PM

^Also pizza!

by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2021 9:55 PM

We eat a lot more Lamb than people in the US, a personal favorite is slow-roasted Lamb Shoulder (not sure about cider gravy though, I'd probably use red wine).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 21, 2021 9:57 PM

r56 i applaud your use of "accoutrements" in your post. You did me a kindness.

by Anonymousreply 66June 21, 2021 10:03 PM

^^ not sure why the video didn't post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2021 10:05 PM

Digestives.

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 68June 21, 2021 10:07 PM

maybe they're called digestives because they tend to have more fiber/fibre?

by Anonymousreply 69June 21, 2021 10:09 PM

Digestive biscuits are kind of like graham crackers. I don't know how they'd taste in S'mores, though.

by Anonymousreply 70June 21, 2021 10:12 PM

Digestive Biscuits were invented by two Scottish Doctors.

[ITALIC] In 1839, digestives were developed in the United Kingdom by two Scottish doctors to aid digestion. Digestives featured in advertisements for the Berkshire-based biscuit company Huntley & Palmers in 1876, with a recipe being given in Cassell's "New Universal Cookery Book" of 1894.

In 1851 an issue of The Lancet London's advertising section offered brown meal digestive biscuits. At the time, it was asserted grain millers knew only of bran and endosperm. After 10% of the whole grain's coarser outer-bran coat was removed, and because the innermost 70% of pure endosperm was reserved for other uses, brown meal, representing only 20% of the whole grain, remained, consisting of about 15% fine bran and 85% white flour.[8] By 1912 it was more widely known that brown meal included the germ, which lent a characteristic sweetness.

In 1889, John Montgomerie of Scotland filed a U.S. patent application, which was granted in 1890. This patent asserted a prior patent existed in England dated 1886. The U.S. patent, titled "Making Malted Bread", included instructions for the manufacture of digestive biscuits. Montgomerie claimed this saccharification process would make "nourishing food for people of weak digestion" [/ITALIC]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2021 10:18 PM

belVita ?

by Anonymousreply 72June 21, 2021 10:21 PM

R71 Then we fucked up the whole premise of healthy and put chocolate on the Digestive Biscuits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 21, 2021 10:26 PM

My guess was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 74June 21, 2021 10:42 PM

R63 Corn in Spaghetti Bolognese is unusual (unless you are trying to bulk it out).

Tuna with sweetcorn or cucumber is pretty normal, again it may be an attempt to make more sandwiches from a smaller amount of tuna. Not sure why as canned tuna is incredibly cheap in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 75June 21, 2021 10:44 PM

R41 et al, I was served buttered salted radishes in France a few times as an appetizer. With lots of bread as R47 suggests.

by Anonymousreply 76June 21, 2021 10:46 PM

Blech corn in tuna?! Insane. Cucumber or pickle, yes.

by Anonymousreply 77June 21, 2021 10:46 PM

I like corn and tuna on the same salad plate - a kind of variation on a Nicoise salad that I make - since I don't include the olives. But I can't really see mixing them together (with mayo) for some kind of sandwich. That's what I've seen anyway.

by Anonymousreply 78June 21, 2021 10:59 PM

Agreed, r78...i can deal with Nicoise/Salad type dish. Not mixed together as a sandwich spread though. Not okay. Sweet pickle relish provides a balance in tuna salad for that purpose. Corn is way too sweet and sweet pickle provides a bit of a foil with the vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 79June 21, 2021 11:03 PM

Tacos and salsa.

by Anonymousreply 80June 21, 2021 11:11 PM

I’m an American former latchkey kid & have literally never eaten Hamburger Helper. I used to see commercials for it & asked my mom if she could make it & she said no, we don’t eat that! Then I saw the Vacation movie where the White trash family eats HH, minus the hamburger, & figured, okay, we’re not that lowly.

by Anonymousreply 81June 21, 2021 11:15 PM

Cheese and biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 82June 21, 2021 11:15 PM

tea, scones, kebab. at least that seems to be the major food groups.

by Anonymousreply 83June 21, 2021 11:16 PM

Leftovers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 21, 2021 11:27 PM

Parsnip mash is quite common.

by Anonymousreply 85June 21, 2021 11:29 PM

No, parsnip mash isn't common. I've never seen or had it. Potato mash, yes.

by Anonymousreply 86June 21, 2021 11:30 PM

R79 Isn't the predominant canned tuna in the US Albacore (white, milder) tuna? In the UK it's Skipjack which tends to overwhelm anything else in terms of flavour, I think the sweetcorn is 'padding'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 21, 2021 11:33 PM

Parsnips are NOT good. This would be among one of the last possible foods I would consume. Sour.

by Anonymousreply 88June 21, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote] faggots and spotted dick

I had never heard of faggots until I went to a pub in the Cotswold where in big, bright letters it stated: Today's special - Homemade Faggots. I thought I had walked into a Bordello and got excited for a minute. Then I found out they're just meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 89June 21, 2021 11:35 PM

In the US, it's common to have "chunk light" tuna AND white albacore. I have used both in meals and kind of like the "chunk light" better. And this is from a person that doesn't tend to like fish for the most part. I do eat some sushi once or twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 90June 21, 2021 11:38 PM

[quote] the spam thing is an outdated stereotype

Maybe it varies by region, r29. I spent 18 months in Glencoe, and the CoOp there literally had a whole shelf for Spam and they seemed to have trouble keeping it stocked. I didn't see it very much in England, though.

by Anonymousreply 91June 21, 2021 11:45 PM

R89 Hmmm.... Not exactly meatballs. They are made with liver, heart and sometimes kidney wrapped in caul (the fat from around the organs).and then fried.

Taste great if you don't mind offal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 21, 2021 11:48 PM

[quote]radishes should only ever be used as a BDSM accoutrement.

I hate myself for asking, but how?

R91 is lucky, Glencoe is beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 93June 21, 2021 11:48 PM

Offal is AWFUL! i don't understand how anyone likes/eats organ meats. disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 94June 21, 2021 11:50 PM

I heard they eat worms. Is it true?

by Anonymousreply 95June 21, 2021 11:51 PM

I can answer OP's question absolutely and definitively in a single word: FOOD.

by Anonymousreply 96June 21, 2021 11:52 PM

[quote] American children of working parents grow up on Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, hamburgers, hotdogs, macaroni and cheese, canned vegetables, soup, etc.

Only on Datalounge, where it will forever be 1987

by Anonymousreply 97June 21, 2021 11:55 PM

[quote] Hmmm.... Not exactly meatballs. They are made with liver, heart and sometimes kidney wrapped in caul (the fat from around the organs).and then fried.

I mean, technically, that's still a meatball . . .but I get your point. I tried them before I knew what was in them, and they were delicious actually.

by Anonymousreply 98June 21, 2021 11:57 PM

Tomahto soup.

by Anonymousreply 99June 22, 2021 12:03 AM

Macaroni and cheese isn't that popular in the UK, you can get it chilled or frozen in supermarkets but I've never heard anyone say that they were preparing it at home from scratch. It could be something that comes from WWII rationing when bulked out meals were common, my Mother who is 81 hates it.

by Anonymousreply 100June 22, 2021 12:04 AM

When I lived over there, I'd eat rich tea biscuits and chocolate digestives every day. I miss them.

by Anonymousreply 101June 22, 2021 12:07 AM

R88 If you roast Parsnips rather than boiling them they become very sweet, perfect with any grilled or roasted red meat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 22, 2021 12:17 AM

Nutella.

by Anonymousreply 103June 22, 2021 12:38 AM

Prawn cocktail crisps and Percy Pigs.

by Anonymousreply 104June 22, 2021 12:41 AM

Sherbet Lemons

by Anonymousreply 105June 22, 2021 12:43 AM

Has anyone mentioned how inexpensive fresh salmon is in the UK?

It's pretty much the cheapest fish that we can buy, frequently under £3 ($4.50) per pound. Even the people on social benefits aren't keen on eating it..

by Anonymousreply 106June 22, 2021 12:45 AM

Greggs, Asda readymeals, turkey twizzlers, a cheeky Nando’s, curry and spag bol, chip buttys, Mr Kipling slices, Harvester, cauliflower cheese, prawn cocktail crisps, Jammie Dodgers, and pork scratchings.

by Anonymousreply 107June 22, 2021 1:06 AM

I've never known anyone to willingly eat Spam.

by Anonymousreply 108June 22, 2021 1:36 AM

Do Brits still have to put coins in their gas or electric meter?

by Anonymousreply 109June 22, 2021 2:03 AM

R109, poor ones, yes. "As of 2019, around 4.3 million people in the UK have a prepayment energy meter, according to Ofgem."

by Anonymousreply 110June 22, 2021 2:06 AM

Guilt

Shame

Bangers

by Anonymousreply 111June 22, 2021 2:07 AM

No, R109. Coin meters were never common and haven't been a thing for decades. Prepayment meters nowadays are usually operated with a card that's charged offsite, or via an online connection. It isn't 1970.

by Anonymousreply 112June 22, 2021 2:12 AM

Coin meters were common in the 1970s, (even on TV's). My Gran was the worst debtor ever and wouldn't pay anyone (even though she could afford to?). Some of her capers were epic.

They also aren't penalised in terms of cost St now and can't be overcharged as they were in the past.

Still fucking tragic, it's such a cold Country you can need heating for ten months of the year as you move North.

by Anonymousreply 113June 22, 2021 2:20 AM

The foods that the OP listed actually were pretty common dinner staples for a lot of families in the late '60s through '80s. They were introduced as modern, convenient, easy, and fast as housewives were entering the work force. A lot of folks thought they were better than from scratch foods.

A couple of my college roommates in the early '80s came from households that ate just like that. I was kind of amazed because my mom would never cook like that. We ate hor dogs at BBQs and had burgers on occasion. Always fresh veggies, homemade soups, etc. The most processed my mom got were an occasional bag of mixed frozen vegetables and Rice a Roni. One roommate cracked me up when he mentioned how his mother switched from canned to frozen vegetables because they were more modern. I think America was more gullible about advertising back then.

by Anonymousreply 114June 22, 2021 2:37 AM

[quote]I mean, technically, that's still a meatball . . .but I get your point. I tried them before I knew what was in them, and they were delicious actually.

You've had worse faggots in your mouth, undoubtedly.

by Anonymousreply 115June 22, 2021 5:23 AM

R101 You're right about roasted parsnips. When boiled they're loathsome but roasted they have an almost nutty flavour.

by Anonymousreply 116June 22, 2021 12:34 PM

Parsnips roasted in goose fat, and finished with a little drizzle of honey about 10 minutes before they come out of the oven. Heavenly.

by Anonymousreply 117June 22, 2021 2:13 PM

What does OP eat on a daily basis?

by Anonymousreply 118June 22, 2021 3:24 PM

Spag Bol? Why do they always infantilize and abbreviate things? Is it that hard to say spaghetti Bolognese? I've heard brekkie, lippie too. Ugh.

Spag bol sounds like something growing in the sewer.

by Anonymousreply 119June 22, 2021 3:44 PM

It's the new Daleks on Dr. Who.

by Anonymousreply 120June 22, 2021 5:54 PM

OP, growing up as a child in a low income household, we never, ever ate any of those things.

by Anonymousreply 121June 22, 2021 8:33 PM

Take notice when you are browsing the grocery store. When Hamburger/Tuna/Chicken Helper are on sale, the shelves are cleared out. Spaghetti sauce as well.. Working moms buy a lot of bagged, pre-made salads too. I'm just going by what I see. I grew up on a lot of Crock Pot meals. My mother would occasionally make something "fancy" like a chocolate souffle.

by Anonymousreply 122June 23, 2021 1:48 AM

Jellied eels and winkles

by Anonymousreply 123June 23, 2021 1:50 AM

Curry everything and anything.

by Anonymousreply 124June 23, 2021 3:33 AM

clotted cream w/scones

by Anonymousreply 125June 23, 2021 3:53 AM

Which British people? The Anglo-Saxons or the Wogs?

by Anonymousreply 126June 23, 2021 4:19 AM

They eat babies with their snaggle teeth every day, that's the kind of beasts they are.

by Anonymousreply 127June 23, 2021 4:55 AM

They eat babies with their snaggle teeth every day, that's the kind of beasts we're dealing with.

by Anonymousreply 128June 23, 2021 4:57 AM

"Let them eat Bombes Glacées!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 23, 2021 5:26 AM

I think it's odd that they call every dessert pudding.

by Anonymousreply 130June 23, 2021 3:45 PM

I had a British pen pal who sent me a recipe for apple sauce/white vinegar/potatoes/spinach/ale(beer would do) and raisins. It was delicious. Not what we'd call potato salad, but close to what they would.

by Anonymousreply 131June 23, 2021 4:27 PM

I had toad in the hole today.

by Anonymousreply 132June 23, 2021 5:02 PM

Scotch eggs.

by Anonymousreply 133June 23, 2021 5:35 PM

spotted dick

by Anonymousreply 134June 23, 2021 6:09 PM

Are scotch eggs served hot or cold?

by Anonymousreply 135June 24, 2021 1:06 AM

Pickled Eggs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 24, 2021 1:32 AM

R125 Scotch Eggs are usually served cold (picnic food).

The nearest English version is Gala Pie, which has pastry instead of breadcrumbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 24, 2021 2:06 AM

Sorry R135

by Anonymousreply 138June 24, 2021 2:11 AM

R131 That sounds suspiciously like a Wartime/Rationing recipe when eggs and oil were in short supply.

I have eaten it though and it's surprisingly good (don't mention the other Rationing favourite, Woolton Pie which is absolutely horrible).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 24, 2021 2:18 AM

R135 The pub near me serves it "warm" with gravy as a "starter."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 24, 2021 2:21 AM

I thought it was Fish and Chips and Bangers and Mash.

by Anonymousreply 141June 24, 2021 2:23 AM

R140 Seems to be a more modern innovation with Scotch Eggs, I've seen them warm/hot on a few menus?

Cold and greasy (like pork pie) I can cope with, I'm not sure about hot and greasy.....

by Anonymousreply 142June 24, 2021 2:27 AM

OP is describing a working class diet from the 60s and 70s. My nephews and grand nephews didn't grow up eating such garbage. The parents go way out of their way to please their kids and many of them develop fairly sophisticated taste.

by Anonymousreply 143June 24, 2021 2:28 AM

Wow r140's "starter" looks more like a "entree/main" to me.

by Anonymousreply 144June 24, 2021 2:31 AM

Speaking of pork pies -- on a lot of British detective shows, they refer to "telling porkies." Is that Cockney rhyming slang? The only thing I could think that would make sense is "porky pies = lies." Is that how it works? And does anyone say "porky pie?"

by Anonymousreply 145June 24, 2021 2:39 AM

Avocado Toast is a breakfast thing. The avocado is usually smashed and spread on the toast, sometimes served with a fried or poached egg on it, tomatos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146June 24, 2021 6:21 AM

R145, yes common place . Cockney rhyming slang is fabulous. Aussie rhyming slang too

by Anonymousreply 147June 24, 2021 8:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!