Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Least deserved best actor oscar wins

Companion thread to my "most undeserved best actress winners". Admittedly I'm not as well versed in actor oscars as I am in actress oscars so feel free to disagree with me or add any other suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2021 5:44 PM

Dishonourable mentions:

Wallace Beery for the Champ tying with Fredric March in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Sean Penn in Milk winning Over Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler

Jeff Bridges in Crazy heart winning over Colin Firth in A single man.

Colin Firth in The King's speech winning over Jeff Bridges in True grit

Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump winning over ANY of his fellow nominees

Denzel Washington in Training day winning over Tom Wilkinson in In the bedroom

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2021 6:40 PM

[quote] Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump winning over ANY of his fellow nominees

A guy who started his career in drag versus one of the Sweathogs. Yeah, that just screams prestige.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2021 6:45 PM

R2 what?

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2021 6:50 PM

Which was the first Oscar-winning male performance to show full frontal nudity? Or has that happened yet?

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2021 7:17 PM

R4 I'm not sure about male, but Holly Hunter showed everything in the piano

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2021 7:33 PM

No Best Actor has shown cock in the winning performance

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2021 7:44 PM

Um, r1 Wallace Beery is terrific in The Champ; it's one of the better Oscar-winning performances.

I voted for Pacino. Scent of a Woman is one of the few films I actually walked out of.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2021 7:44 PM

McConaughey

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2021 7:46 PM

[quote] Which was the first Oscar-winning male performance to show full frontal nudity?

Alan Bates and Olivier Reed went full frontal in 1969 in WOMEN IN LOVE, but weren't nominated for these performances. Bates was nominated that year for THE FIXER but lost to Cliff Robertson (yeah, I know)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2021 7:47 PM

Eddie RedMinge was weak

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2021 7:55 PM

Members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences VOTE to decide who "deserves" an Oscar. It's just a popularity contest that should not be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2021 8:09 PM

R11 =Glenn

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2021 8:10 PM

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED IN THE BEST ACTRESS CATEGORY

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2021 8:10 PM

Dustin Hoffman since his role in "Rainman" was a supporting role.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2021 8:59 PM

Bing for sure. He got it for being a beloved icon, not a fantastic actor

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2021 5:07 PM

Sean Penn was superb in Milk.

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2021 5:29 PM

Milk should have gone to a gay guy. Sean Hayes should have done it. Sean Penn was hammy and overindulgent .

Matthew McBongo for Dallas Buyers Club should also make the list. A ridiculous hetero-wash of a very important moment in LGBTQ history.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2021 5:32 PM

Plus Art Carney.

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2021 5:39 PM

[quote]Milk should have gone to a gay guy.

Get outta here. Anyone who subscribes to the bullshit that only gay and trans people should play gay and trans people needs to be sent back to kindergarten. Actors are called actors because that's what they do. Act.

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2021 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!