Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who was the best ever Best Actress Oscar winner, by decade? 1960s edition

Continuing our weekly poll on who was the most deserving BA winner by decade, let's share our thoughts and opinions on the ten winners from the swinging 60s.

As there are actually 11 winners and we didn't have space, I've removed Hepburn's win for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner. Her performance in Lion tends to be much better thought of so I figured that's the one to keep. If you prefer GWCTD please write it in.

Share what you think..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132April 22, 2022 3:07 PM

I find it amusing that Oscar voters would buy Audrey Hepburn as a blind person as long as she didn’t sing.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2021 6:05 PM

Looks like Vivien won the 50s

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2021 6:27 PM

Torn between Bancroft and Neal; went with Bancroft since Neal is essentially supporting in Hud.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2021 6:29 PM

Was Neal's character raped in Hud?

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2021 6:30 PM

When are they getting to the Supporting Actresses? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2021 6:31 PM

Dame Angie I'm sorry to say you wouldn't be featured in that category, even though you should have won twice.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2021 6:36 PM

Was Anne really good in The Miracle Worker?

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2021 6:40 PM

Joan Crawford accepted that award. That’s the closest she ever got to beating me.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2021 7:25 PM

Funny Girl and Barbra Streisand were made for each other - a once in a lifetime combination. Babs deserved the Oscar bigtime!!!

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2021 8:11 PM

No one comes close to Elizabeth Taylor's performance in WIAVW. It's one of the best performances ever irrespective of the decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2021 8:33 PM

Well, what about Julie Andrews?

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2021 8:34 AM

She was way too young for that movie and only won as a consolation prize for not being in [italic]My Fair Lady[/italic]. The character was much older originally.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2021 8:40 AM

Kim Stanley should have won in '64 for Seance On A Wet Afternoon.

I'd give the 1960 win to Deborah Kerr for The Sundowners. Liz didn't need 2 wins.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2021 8:49 AM

Funny how Liz is both in first and last place.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2021 8:51 AM

[quote] As there are actually 11 winners and we didn't have space, I've removed Hepburn's win for Guess Who's Coming To Dinner.

I thought that movie was called [italic]There's Some Black People Coming To Dinner[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2021 8:52 AM

Liz. I know she and Dick were playing out their real relationship but it was such a pleasure to allow us to view it for all eternity.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2021 8:52 AM

At least they had an Edward Albee play to work with then, R16. In their other movies, they weren't so lucky.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2021 8:53 AM

Should Faye have won in 67? Hepburn was good but no way the best of that year.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2021 9:58 AM

Julie Andrews and Babs were at the bottom of the pile among that decade's winners. Julie's win is so inexplicable. Her Mary Poppins is so bland and devoid of any sharp edges.

I never cared for Liz and any of her performances. My favorites from that decade in order: Patricia Neal, Sophia Loren, Anne Bancroft and Kate Hepburn (TLIW).

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2021 10:26 AM

It was also a partial make-up for the fact that James Baskett only won an honorary award as Uncle Remus in [italic]Song of the South[/italic]. Even if Disney treats the movie as a pariah, Baskett's performance is the superior of the two.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2021 10:41 AM

Liz is beyond magnificent in Virginia Woolf. One of my all-time favorite movie performances and not a bad, albeit imperfect, adaptation of a brilliant play. Burton is cute good and Sandy is, as always, a delight.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2021 10:47 AM

There were some good performances by women in the 60s. Taylor was great in Virginia Wolf but I love K.H.'s slow, understated burn in The Lion in Winter. To me it's her best work.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2021 11:54 AM

Maggie was terrific as Miss Jean Brodie

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2021 12:15 PM

R18 that year gave us Faye's performance in Bonnie and Clyde AND Anne Bancroft in The Graduate. Both these women deserved to win over Katherine Hepburn who would've won the following year regardless. imo the best performance that year (in terms of technical acting, not its iconic status) was Edith Evans in The Whisperers. Every gay/lesbian who plan on being alone must see this film. Its on YouTube for free too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2021 12:34 PM

R10 part of the reason Elizabeth's role has remained such a spectacle was her physical transformation. Before that we've had gorgeous people wearing shabby clothes in order appear working-class and win Oscars (namely Grace Kelly) but no one had done a complete physical transformation the way Lizzy did.

But I chose Maggie Smith in The prime of Miss Jean Brodie just because I feel the theme of the fiery teacher is more enduring than the moody unsatisfied housewife.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2021 12:41 PM

Is anyone disputing Loren for 61 or Christie for 65?

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2021 12:55 PM

R26 me

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2021 1:00 PM

Julie you were lucky to get one.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2021 1:01 PM

I agree with R22. Katharine Hepburn for "The Lion In Winter". It was the strongest of her 4 Oscar-winning performances.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2021 1:05 PM

I still think Susan Hayward was robbed.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2021 1:06 PM

R29 that's not saying much

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2021 1:06 PM

R31, Katharine Hepburn is an excellent sparring partner for Peter O'Toole in 'The Lion in Winter'. And she burns with indignation and anger, but also shows moments of vulnerability.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2021 1:13 PM

R32 I mean her other three wins were nothing special. Lion is one of her best

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2021 1:25 PM

R21: Sandy Dennis was never a delight. I hope you're being ironic. At best she was "appropriate", where her tics and twitches fit the role. He "I dance like the wind" line is a real scene stealer because you know that neither Dennis nor her character could dance like anything.

Butterfield8 has its camp value but was really compensation for not giving her an award for "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".

"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" was Stanley Kramer at his most sanctimonious and could have been much better if the characters had been a bit less noble.

Taylor and WAVW, Streisand and "Funny Girl" as well as Hepburn and "Lion in Winter" were all examples of the right actress, the right role, and the right time. Hepburn was much older than O'Toole but possessed a bearing for the part that no younger actress would have had.

Maggie Smith as a headstrong Fascist schoolteacher never seemed all that remarkable to me. It's a reminder that she was really always a character actress rather than a leading lady, at least on film.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2021 1:27 PM

[quote]Hepburn was much older than O'Toole but possessed a bearing for the part that no younger actress would have had.

Agreed. Hepburn had the screen presence to go head to head with O'Toole's King Henry II in a way that a younger actress couldn't have done.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2021 1:36 PM

R18 Yes. Faye was way much better than Hepburn in GWCTD a film which hasn't held up anywhere near as well as Bonnie and Clyde.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2021 1:45 PM

R18 - I'm a huge fan of hers, yet Hepburn should not have won and probably not even nominated. The consensus seems to be it should have been either Dunaway or Bancroft, for their iconic turns in two of the most iconic American films of that era (and both, indeed, were very good). Acting wise - the winner, beyond any doubt, should have been Edith Evans. An amazing, stuttering performance - and a 180 degree change from her familiar, commanding, Lady-Bracknell-ish on screen persona. An amazing master class turn.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2021 2:29 PM

Missed R24 answer to R18 - we seem to be of the same mind.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2021 2:35 PM

R35 - at the time TLiW is scheduled, Eleanor was 61 (Hepburn's age at the time of filming), Henry 50, and O'toole was made up to look old enough for playing the same character he was playing as a young man only 4 years earlier in Becket.

And while Hepburn is very good in it and it's definitely the best of her four winning performances, for me it's not one of her greatest - mostly because I find the material to be lacking . She should/could have won for Little Woman (had she been nominated for it instead of Morning Glory), Alice Adams, The Philadelphia Story, The African Queen (had Leigh not been in the race), Summertime and most of all Long Day's Journey into Night.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2021 2:56 PM

[quote] and most of all Long Day's Journey into Night.

100%. What a magnificent role. Throughout the movie, Hepburn seems on edge. Like she is about to combust at any given second. Very few actresses matched her intensity in that role (Gena Rowlands in A woman under the influence comes to mind).

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2021 3:05 PM

I was torn between Taylor and Smith, but settled on Smith because I watched it most recently and it really holds up. Incidentally, Hepburn's Lion In Winter win is the one time she won and actually deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2021 3:55 PM

Barbra's was the most important win - it confirmed her as an era-defining talent and propelled her film career for the next decade at least. Shame she didn't make better films.

She should've thanked Gregory Peck. It's so funny to think that if she hadn't voted herself, she wouldn't have one it and it would've gone to Hepburn alone.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2021 4:03 PM

R42, I don't remember if I read it here or on some Oscar site, but I recall someone writing that Babs would likely have tied even without her self-vote because the Academy considers two nominees to have tied for the win if the difference between the votes they receive is five votes or less. I don't know if that rule has been changed now.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2021 4:06 PM

R43 the rule changed after the best actor tie in the 30s which is one vote shy (Fredric March had the most votes, Beery was one away). There has to be an exact number of votes now that tie. Streisand was responsible for her win, unless she voted for someone else which is unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2021 4:11 PM

I think Taylor and Smith are generally considered the best in this decade. It was a great decade for stellar work from these ladies. I’m partial to Hepburn TLIW, Loren, Bancroft, Christie and Streisand too. But if I had to pick one it would be Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2021 4:15 PM

R45 I can't wait for the 70s best actress thread. That decade boasted so many great actresses and the sheer number of magnificent female performances we got is unmatched imo. That thread is bound to be the most contentious one so far and I can't wait for the queens to fight over it.

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2021 5:37 PM

It was a shame the only time Hepburn deservedly won she had to share the honor with a strumpet who flashed her fartbox!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2021 5:41 PM

Streisand had told Hepburn backstage when she was performing in Coco she was impressed with her performance for the first time she was on Broadway, not knowing Kate had been on Broadway before. Hepburn pointed this out and said thank you very much and walked away from her pissed. So much for best actress co winner camaraderie.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2021 6:21 PM

Streisand isn't fit to lick Kate, the great shit.

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2021 6:28 PM

R48 Streisand can only dream of having Hepburn's ginormous screen (or stage) presence.

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2021 6:31 PM

She could have, but she preferred Hollywood instead.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2021 6:37 PM

Elizabeth, Virginia Woolf. She was amazing, and only 34 years old.

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2021 6:37 PM

…but yeah, Barbra was a phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2021 6:39 PM

[quote] Julie you were lucky to get one.

Especially after she pissed away her last chance at a Tony on that show she used up the last remnants of her voice on.

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2021 6:41 PM

Barbra in Funny Girl gave what was described by Joe Morgenstern as the greatest musical comedy performance in cinema history. That's doing it a disservice, because she was incredibly effective in the emotional, dramatic scenes as well. That said, this is a tough decade as there's no clear cut winner like Vivien Leigh in the 1930s and 1950s. Taylor was fantastic in WAOVW and Maggie Smith was fire in TPOMJB. Still, I vote objectively for Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2021 6:52 PM

She was only 34? She looks nearly 15 to 20 years older.

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2021 6:52 PM

Though its probably mostly due to make up and a slight weight gain.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2021 7:04 PM

R46: that is because that was the last decade before you started to see the systematic dumbing down of mainstream Hollywood filmmaking.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2021 7:21 PM

R34 See Dennis in 'The Out of Towners' (1970) 'Nasty Habits'(1977) or 'Parents' (1989) She's funny, endearing and as close to a delight as she ever was.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2021 7:38 PM

I once owned a film reference book that claimed she was in [italic]The Million Dollar Duck[/italic] instead of Sandy Duncan.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2021 7:43 PM

Who should have won over Liz in 1960?

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2021 8:34 PM

R61 Shirley "I lost to a tracheotomy" MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2021 8:40 PM

Hepburn's performance in Long Day's Journey into Night (1962) for which she was nominated demonstrates that she was a superb tragedienne and in Bringing Up Baby, Pat and Mike and Adam's Rib she was a superb comedienne.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2021 8:45 PM

R62 Deborah Kerr was named Best Actress for 'The Sundowners' (1960) by the New York Film Critics Circle with Melina Mercouri as runner- up for Never on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2021 8:52 PM

R61, Deborah Kerr in The Sundowners. It was her 6th and final nomination and she was exquisite in the film.

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2021 9:01 PM

Another vote for Deb Kerr for The Sundowners. She was magnificent, and overdue.

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2021 9:14 PM

Right, we will take the 1960 Oscar from Liz and give it to Deborah, posthumously

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2021 9:31 PM

For me it's a tie: the Taylor of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and Patricia Neal in Hud.

by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2021 9:43 PM

Regardless of some of the performances haven't aged well or weren't that good in the first place this is a very impressive list of acting talent which I can say about winners the last two decades or so.

by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2021 12:31 AM

Deborah Kerr was the Glenn Close of those days -- all those nominations without a win.

by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2021 8:30 AM

I’ve seen all those performances and it just occurred to me the best AND worst Best Actress winner of the 1960s was Elizabeth Taylor.

Her performance in BUtterfield 8 was as hilariously bad.

by Anonymousreply 71June 20, 2021 10:05 AM

Well R47, she did win for playing Fanny!

by Anonymousreply 72June 20, 2021 12:48 PM

1960: Deborah Kerr

1961: Sophia Loren

1962: Anne Bencroft

1963: Patricia Neal

1964: Kim Stanley

1965: Julie Christie

1966: Liz Taylor

1967: Edith Evans

1968: Hepburn and Streisand

1969: Maggie Smith

by Anonymousreply 73June 20, 2021 2:18 PM

No one knows Loren’s winning performance. It was a weak year in the category. Taylor thought that Butterfield 8 was a stinker. I’ve never seen Christie in Darling. Her Wikipedia page was written by a super fan. Patricia Neal in Hud is stunning but it’s a supporting performance. Hepburn is a hambone. Streisand’s win was never in doubt but her career afterwards is a mess. Taylor was terrific in Woolf so that’s my vote.

by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2021 3:19 PM

R74 what about Smith?

by Anonymousreply 75June 20, 2021 3:21 PM

I went for Dame Maggie as she was quite brave playing a lesbian back then

by Anonymousreply 76June 20, 2021 5:47 PM

It's very hard to find Two Women. I would love to see it.

by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2021 7:25 PM

Liz Taylor in WAOVW is too much of a drag queen performance for me to really appreciate it. I find her unbearable and completely unbelievable as a real human being.

by Anonymousreply 78June 20, 2021 7:30 PM

So seems the winners so far:

30s: Vivien Leigh - GWTW

40s: Joan Crawford - Mildred Pearce

50s: Vivien Leigh - A Streetcar Named Desire

60s: Elizabeth Taylor - WAOVW?

by Anonymousreply 79June 20, 2021 7:39 PM

I predict Sally Field will win the 70s for Norma Rae over Jane Fonda for Klute.

Lots of mentions of how Diane Keaton should have been nominated for Goodbar, and how Burstyn deserved it for The Exorcist over Alice. Lots of Barbra/Way We Were mentions, and Glenda Jackson will be the least popular for A Touch of Class.

I've been reading DL for way too long.

by Anonymousreply 80June 20, 2021 7:46 PM

Won't our darling Faye win the 70s? I predict Meryl for the 80s and Kathy Bates for the 90s

by Anonymousreply 81June 20, 2021 7:48 PM

Please, Gods of DL, don't let that vanilla, bland, frauey frau Squeaky Field win the 70s poll. Anyone but that 🐮 please! Even insane bitch Faye, one-film wonder Louise or the overrated Glenda in ATOC would be OK. But please, not Squeaky or that other 🐮 Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 82June 20, 2021 7:52 PM

R80 don't forget "why was Fletcher nominated for leading? She was in the movie for 3 minutes?!!!"

I can't wait for that thread. I'm going to share my thesis on why Gena Rowlands in "A woman under the influence" was the performance of the decade and she should've won that year.

by Anonymousreply 83June 20, 2021 7:53 PM

Jane Fonda for 70s

by Anonymousreply 84June 20, 2021 7:53 PM

R82 oh hi Bette! Still not over being "robbed" for "The Rose"?!

by Anonymousreply 85June 20, 2021 7:53 PM

Not Bette, R85. Didn't care for her acting in The Rose either. I could never stand Squeaky Field in anything. To me she is the epitome of a "frau" actress. I loathe her and that awful voice of hers.

by Anonymousreply 86June 20, 2021 7:57 PM

R81, Fonda will probably win for Klute, Meryl will win in the ‘80s amidst some really lame M and G jokes, and the ‘90s are up for grabs.

Bates, Foster, Thompson and Hunter all seem like choices that will earn a lot of support, and even Lange will do surprisingly well. It’ll probably be the closest poll.

by Anonymousreply 87June 20, 2021 8:03 PM

I gather most of you haven't seen "Two Women." Sophia Loren is brilliant in this harrowing story of war-time survival.

Though I have always admired Elizabeth, I don't suspect her Martha was a stretch. Burton deserved the WAOVW Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 88June 20, 2021 8:04 PM

No, the 1970s belong t0 Jane Fonda for Klute , followed by Liza for Cabaret,, Faye Dunaway for Network then Ellen Burstyn for Alice then Sally for Norma. Jill for AUW wuz robbed!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 89June 20, 2021 10:17 PM

"Two Women" is worth watching.

I agree with R74: Neal is really in a supporting role in "Hud".

Field was good in Norma Rae, but Fonda is a better actress, overall, with more in the way of good parts. Field is at her best doing comedy.

by Anonymousreply 90June 21, 2021 1:35 AM

R59: Dennis is almost as bad as hammy Jack Lemmon in "The Out-of-Towners". Granted, it's Neil Simon, so it's annoying and sitcom-ish as well as dated. I haven't seen her in the other two films, but I've seen her twitch her way through plenty of other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 91June 21, 2021 1:46 AM

Well if Patricia Neal is more Supporting who should have won Lead in 1963?

by Anonymousreply 92June 21, 2021 5:54 AM

r92, either Leslie Caron in The L-Shaped Room or Natalie Wood in Love with the Proper Stranger.

by Anonymousreply 93June 21, 2021 1:15 PM

Agree 100%, R39 and R40. Hepburn deserved to win that year.

by Anonymousreply 94June 23, 2021 4:43 AM

Maggie was iconic as the Scottish schoolteacher, sticking up for "my geerls"

by Anonymousreply 95June 23, 2021 6:17 AM

Maggie Smith did not deserve her win. I deserved to win for my performance in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" The Academy didn't give me the award because of Vietnam and because of my dad not liking me. I blame my father.

by Anonymousreply 96June 23, 2021 6:49 AM

There should be more votes for Hud and Mary Poppins

by Anonymousreply 97June 23, 2021 6:56 AM

Patricia Neal in Hud and Maggie Smith in The Prime of Miss jean Brodie were both brilliant. I voted for Neal because I figured Smith ("not intimidated by the quarter-hour") would better accounted for. Both are perfect, though in Neal's relative small screen time she is unimaginably good in her smoldering, slight past prime sexuality, under wraps but not too very much.

by Anonymousreply 98June 23, 2021 8:12 AM

I'm not a big fan of prep school drams which may be part of why I never really got "Jean Brodie". It's based on a play and the adaptation still seems stagey and I half expect Smith to stumble with her accent--it just seems a bit too mannered. The business of being in her "prime" seems a bit apropos of nothing. If it was made now, the lesbian undertones would be more obvious and although easy to make into soap opera, they might make the plot more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 99June 23, 2021 11:05 AM

Who should play Jean Brodie if they do a new version?

by Anonymousreply 100June 23, 2021 12:06 PM

R100, Saoirse Ronan, assuming she can learn the Scots accent

by Anonymousreply 101June 23, 2021 12:09 PM

Maggie Smith is still in her prime!

by Anonymousreply 102June 23, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote]it just seems a bit too mannered.

I think that fits the character and what she thought of herself and her ideas. Both she and Franklin were great in that movie. Too bad Franklin did not have a better career.

by Anonymousreply 103June 23, 2021 2:03 PM

She seems not so much free thinking as dogmatic and a martinet. Is that because she's Scottish? I sthat waht Presbyterian free thinking looks like?

by Anonymousreply 104June 24, 2021 12:23 PM

Poor Julies

by Anonymousreply 105June 24, 2021 1:19 PM

R82 I agree. She doesn't deserve the acclaim she got. It's because people liked that you can go from Gidget, The Flying Nun, and so help us The Girl With Something Extra and win two Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 106June 24, 2021 1:35 PM

Hopefully we can move to surveys of Best Actors after we finish the ladies over the next few decades!

by Anonymousreply 107June 24, 2021 1:47 PM

Judy Davis should have won the 1984 Oscar over Sally, who totally deserved her win for Norma Rae, in spite of what Bette Midler says.

by Anonymousreply 108June 24, 2021 2:06 PM

When will the 70s edition be posted?

by Anonymousreply 109June 24, 2021 3:14 PM

R100 I usually post a new one each Friday!

by Anonymousreply 110June 24, 2021 3:16 PM

Sorry, that was for R109

by Anonymousreply 111June 24, 2021 3:17 PM

I like Julie Christie but she wasn't the best of her year

by Anonymousreply 112June 24, 2021 5:18 PM

r112, who would you have preferred for 1965?

by Anonymousreply 113June 24, 2021 5:30 PM

R113 Maybe Julie A for The Sound Of Music. Obviously Andrews should not have won for Mary Poppins, I would have given that year to Kim Stanley instead.

by Anonymousreply 114June 24, 2021 5:37 PM

After reading the comments in this thread, I watch Hud (first time in years....). Agree that Patricia Neal's performance was supporting. in fact, it's a nothing role. The character adds nothing to the story or plot. Forgettable as a character, but really memorable as a performance. And that says volumes about Neal as an actress and her performance in Hud. Off topic----Melvyn Douglas is terrific and well-deserved his Oscar.

And another vote for Kim Stanley in Seance On A Wet Afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 115June 24, 2021 5:39 PM

Of the 1965 nominees, I'm OK with either Julie winning. The other three nominees wouldn't have made the cut if this wasn't such a weak year for movies and female leading roles. I think Vivien Leigh was stronger than Simone Signoret in Ship of Fools, but hers is more a supporting role despite her top billing.

by Anonymousreply 116June 24, 2021 5:40 PM

Julie Andrews' nomination for TSOM is puzzling. She sang the score very well but Maria von Trapp wasn't exactly an acting tour de force.

by Anonymousreply 117June 24, 2021 5:40 PM

It's a charisma performance, r117. She's utterly charming and you can't take your eyes off her. The nomination was a reward for headlining the-then highest grossing film of all time.

by Anonymousreply 118June 24, 2021 5:43 PM

Julie gave a sappy role some dimension, r117.

by Anonymousreply 119June 24, 2021 5:47 PM

R115, Melvyn Douglas is also great in "Being There". He won a 2nd Oscar for that one.

by Anonymousreply 120June 25, 2021 12:56 PM

R116 It's been a long time since I saw Ship of Fools aka 'Love Boat Nazi Style' , but Signoret's role seemed supporting as well.

by Anonymousreply 121June 27, 2021 8:13 PM

According to screentimecentral, Signoret appears for 27:04 minutes in Ship of Fools, 18.12% of the film's running time. Best Actor nominee Oskar Werner has 38:04 minutes, 25.49%; Best Supporting Actor nominee Michael Dunn has 16:43 minutes, 11.19%.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 27, 2021 8:28 PM

R118 Very well said. For me, a great performance isn't always about pretending well, or crying and carrying on. It's about the whole experience of a created character.

by Anonymousreply 123June 27, 2021 8:30 PM

Wow did Simone's character die or something? She swiped it from Vivien..

by Anonymousreply 124June 27, 2021 8:31 PM

No, r124, but another character dies. It's one of my favorite films. I love the opening credits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 27, 2021 8:35 PM

[quote] "Though its probably mostly due to make up and a slight weight gain."

Nearly thirty pounds. And Nichols said too that the makeup wouldn't have been as convincing/effective had the movie been filmed in color. I LOVE that it was filmed in black and white.

by Anonymousreply 126June 27, 2021 8:52 PM

1. Patricia Neal

2. Sophia Loren

3. Katharine Hepburn (TLIW)

4. Liz Taylor (WAOVW)

5. Babs Streisand

6. Julie Christie

7. Anne Bancroft

8. Julie Andrews

9. Maggie Smith

10. Liz Taylor (B8)

11. Katharine Hepburn (GWCTD)

by Anonymousreply 127July 3, 2021 10:03 AM

Patricia Neal had a reputation for being "a real actress" more than most of these others because of her earlier stage work. She did a lot of television, too, eventually doing TV movies and, of course, "Murder, She Wrote". She seemed to make the most of relatively small parts in movies, but was stuck doing coffee and pain reliver commercials for a while. Those seemed to be refuges (coffee and pain relievers) for people who were having trouble getting cast--Joseph Cotten, Lauren Bacall, etc.

by Anonymousreply 128July 3, 2021 11:14 AM

Patricia Neal also had an important role in the sci-fi classic, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1951).

by Anonymousreply 129July 5, 2021 12:11 PM

R118 'you can't take your eyes off her' (Julie Andrews)

Actually that's truer of Christopher Plummer and Eleanor Parker. Andrews was fine.

by Anonymousreply 130July 6, 2021 1:50 AM

R128, Why would you say, "And, of course, 'Murder, She Wrote'" about Patricia Neal for one episode?

The "of course" would be for Angela Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 131April 22, 2022 2:37 PM

My big take-out from this poll is that hardly anyone has seen Darling. I haven't seen it for ages, but I remember it as a very good film (it's John Schlesinger) and a fine performance.

I'm totally on board about Katharine Hepburn in Long Day's Journey. It was a role that made even her weaknesses strengths. She should have won in 62 and Bancroft should have won in 67.

Judy Davis should have been nominated this year for Supporting Actress in Nitram. It is an amazing performance. There is one scene near the end where she says nothing and you can read her every thought.

by Anonymousreply 132April 22, 2022 3:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!