Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Victoria's Secret Angels collapse is complete and to be replaced by "VS collective"

Victoria's Secret is saying goodbye to their Angels.

After years of scrutiny, the lingerie brand announced their new marketing brand on Wednesday (June 16), where the company will be introducing a new group of "VS Collective" that will be taking over for the Angels as they look to reinvent beauty standards for women.

When the world was changing, we were too slow to respond,” Chief Executive Martin Waters told The New York Times. “We needed to stop being about what men want and to be about what women want.”

Martin also said that the Angels are being phased out because he doesn't see them as being "culturally relevant" anymore.

Victoria's Secret announced the seven women that have been named the VS Collective, featuring actress Priyanka Chopra-Jonas, soccer superstar Megan Rapinoe, South Sudanese refugee and model Adut Akech, Chinese freestyle skier Eileen Gu, photographer and #Girlgaze founder Amanda de Cadenet, model and inclusivity advocate Paloma Elsesser, and Brazilian trans model Valentina Sampaio.

With the changes, don't expect to see the VS Collective posing in lingerie.

Instead, the group will reportedly focus heavily in marketing materials and new podcasts, with new projects being introduced next spring.

Over the past several years, Victoria's Secrets sales have been plummeting and former CEO Ed Razek was ousted after being accused of sexual assault and bullying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 26, 2021 8:40 PM

Rapinoe can jump into a volcano.

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2021 6:48 AM

[quote]When the world was changing, we were too slow to respond,” Chief Executive Martin Waters

First problem, Victoria's Secret's CEO is a man.

Second problem, they couldn't hide the T model's dick in a g string.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2021 7:03 AM

Somewhere Leonardo DiCaprio and Justin Bieber are in a tight embrace while sobbing.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2021 7:08 AM

There's an obesity epidemic going on and it's harder for the average woman to attain what used to be pretty easy beauty standards to meet regarding weight.

Women used to be skinnier back in the '60s and '70s.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2021 7:28 AM

r4, nowadays women are encouraged to be themselves and embrace their full body figure instead of looking up to an ideal that's not attainable for most women and feeling like shit for being such a big, fat failure.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2021 7:35 AM

R5 "full body" in America means morbidly obese. There's a pretty big range between anorexic and obese and most American women are fat fucks. Diabetes is not 'being yourself'.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2021 7:48 AM

Take that straight men! Gay is the future! Now please give me the male version of this with half naked twinks please

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2021 7:53 AM

[quote] There's a pretty big range between anorexic and obese and most American women are fat fucks. Diabetes is not 'being yourself'.

GAS THEM! GAS THEM ALL! PUT THEM IN A GAS CHAMBER TO END THEIR AND OUR MISERY HAVING TO LOOK AT THESE FAT FUCKS!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2021 8:20 AM

This is going to be an EPIC fail.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2021 8:40 AM

It's not culturally relevant anymore because men can access pics and vids of hot women any time of day, why would they need a runway show or catalog to jack off to? The lingerie can still sell it just doesn't need to be modeled by hotties

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2021 6:08 PM

Nice to see her bearding contract with Nick is paying off: she's finding work!

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2021 2:25 PM

[quote]With the changes, don't expect to see the VS Collective posing in lingerie. Instead, the group will reportedly focus heavily in marketing materials and new podcasts, with new projects being introduced next spring.

So a lingerie brand is trying to virtue signal and prove how "inclusive" they are, without showing any of these people wearing lingerie? Yeah, that will work.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2021 3:12 PM

Most of the statements so far are true.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2021 3:24 PM

This seems like an over correction. There has been legitimate criticism against Victoria's Secret in the past about models being too skinny and not showing enough curvy women, but... just like men like to admire other male bodybuilders as aspirational, women also like to admire other female models as being aspirational. Megan Rapinoe just doesn't seem like someone women want to look like or whom men want to be with.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2021 3:43 PM

Hasn’t their Pink line been the biggest seller for them? I thought I read that somewhere. If so, it’s not a stretch to realize that the bombshell angels could be replaced with a different style model successfully.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2021 3:49 PM

Women certainly don't want men pretending to be women as a "spokesperson". It is insulting and offensive. VS has blundered badly with this decision.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2021 3:55 PM

Have Megan Rapinoe and Frankie Grande ever been seen in the same room together?

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2021 3:56 PM

So basically they're focusing on underwear and not lingerie. Good for them. Fine.

But don't think the supermodels walking down the runway in lingerie didn't make that brand who they are.

They're pivoting now they are such a household name and brand - but if they started off this way, they wouldn't be where they are now.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2021 4:01 PM

why it gotta be butch?

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2021 4:03 PM

Until women who look like the real women of today are posing for Victoria's Secret, everything is bullshit. This is what most American women look like, so cater to them:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2021 4:09 PM

I mean nobody wants to see Chopra, Meghan or the trans dude in lingerie that women buy in the hope of looking better.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2021 4:39 PM

Also a big concern for women is their hips being too large and breasts drooping. A trans model won't be relatable.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2021 4:40 PM

Amanda De Cadenet is a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2021 4:42 PM

Not sure what any of this has to do with the majority of Dataloungers, who don't wear and likely couldn't fit into Victoria's Secret products anyway.

The company is doing what they think will help their brand based on who their customers are, and Dataloungers are not their customers, generally speaking. As for "no one wants to look like Megan Rapinoe," I follow a lot of lesbians on social media who have said otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2021 4:55 PM

That's because lots of lesbians already look like Megan Rapinoe, R24

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2021 5:00 PM

[quote]The company is doing what they think will help their brand based on who their customers are,

The company has been listening to far too much Twitter and far too little actual customers. This will be one of those "what were we thinking???" decisions to be rescinded.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2021 5:06 PM

If bigger ladies want to see bigger lingerie models and be able to purchase dainties in their size, why not go to Fenty? And let Victoria rebrand into whatever they'd like to?

Or couldn't they check in with Lizzo as to where she purchases her unmentionables, so they can shop there too?

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2021 5:12 PM

Goodbye, Angels.

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2021 5:23 PM

In the beginning they were great because they sold nice looking lingerie and undergarments in these romantically decorated stores that were ultra feminine. You could also shop for perfumes.

A big misstep was that they remodeled their stores to look like modern high end shops with lots of shiny reflective surfaces which really doesn’t lend itself creating that aura of forbidden pleasures and romanticism.

Over the years they have branched out to include clothing, shoes , swim wear and makeup which I think diluted their brand. Advertising started catering to younger women to the point it looked like only teenagers shopped were in the stores.

The bras are not constructed to fit real women so they are very uncomfortable and lack support. It got to the point that the only women buying their products were very young and flat chested, you basically aged out 22.

The quality went south really fast in comparison to the price point and most women with money to spend will just buy quality nice looking bras from Nordstrom, Dillards, Saks etc. that are supportive.

In the end they ended up with stores full of cheap uncomfortable underwear, tacky makeup and athletic wear displayed under garish lights. That hardly sounds sexy.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2021 5:48 PM

I used to love Amanda De Cadenet on "The Word" on British TV in the 1990's! I had a crush on Terry Christian but I loved Amanda's nonchalant poshness.

(Staggers off clutching my zimmerframe)

I have a 17 year old relative that models, she is 6ft tall, strong and thin with cheek bones that could cut you. She's doing really well booking for designers and magazines (still at school) but I can't help feeling that this is a terrible time for classic modelling. She would have been perfect for the Linda/ Christy/ Helena era. She does not represent what most girls her age look like, let alone most women.

She's a lovely goofball in real life but her pictures make her look terrifying, she's so genetically blessed. Can't blame a company for trying to make money with relatable models - the visual/ reality gap between high fashion models and the populace just got too wide and people revolted against it.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2021 5:49 PM

Benetton + Lane Bryant = United Colours of Nope

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2021 5:57 PM

R31 - I just spit out my drink you made me laugh so hard.

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2021 6:01 PM

R29 is totally right. Since we are both depressed a lot we went shopping for things to improve the quality of our life as we go through the last months in Europe (small shit and it sounds banal but these things help). One thing she got was a slip and lounging robe in navy blue satin with real silk. I said "very Victoria's Secret" and she was telling me how, despite being a size 4 pre-pandemic she had given up on the place because, besides the bras and a few sweatpants she still has, the quality became crappy and other than a few teenage girls, only obese suburban frau or Latinas were buying their fruity body splashes and bikinis (said she had o idea, and didn't want to know) how they even got those over their ankles with the Sumo build. However, these women were sauntering in with 400 calorie drinks and Cinnabon rolls and the store was probably a thing that they hoped would compensate.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2021 6:10 PM

What r29 said.

I could write paragraphs about this company, but I won’t.

They’re circling the drain now.

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2021 6:53 PM

R25 - that actually got me to wonder what underwear lesbians wear...at least I personally can't imagine the butch ones in anything sexy, satiny, or floral. We all teased our most butchy co-worker when she showed us pics of the 2 years the company sent her to Madrid and she lost 20 lbs and dated a lady who was an executive at a top fashion department store...she made her over with highlights, sexy bob, heels and designer pencil skirts and lace-trimmed camisole tops. "Hey Marge, when are you wearing the lacy satin tops?".

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2021 6:56 PM

It is rumored that VS was involved in prostitution and sex trafficking. I think the owners were associated with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2021 6:57 PM

Well, VS was definitely associated with Jeffrey Epstein. The owner of VS sold JE his enormous Manhattan mansion for a dollar. Apparently, JE managed his money. They have so many reasons to get away from the sexy girls image.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2021 7:55 PM

The bottom line is VS has been tanking because of poor quality and more competition.. As for the models, they went from one extreme to the other. It’s kind of a good thing because they will be an example of what’s happens when you listen to the vocal minority.

DiCaprio is probably gutted.

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2021 1:04 PM

Victoria's Secret Plucks Angels From Future Campaigns. is a much better headline.

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2021 1:14 PM

I think this is your standard "diverse" model strategy. What they do is get a heap of publicity for hiring a range of diverse non-models models, then they slowly phase in a few hot ones and stick the fatties/ordinaries/trannies on Instagram/tiktok and the keep the hotties for the bulk of their instore and online advertising.

by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2021 1:14 PM

Rapinoe did that dye job on a whim right before her fifteen minutes started, now she's stuck with it forever...

by Anonymousreply 41June 20, 2021 1:22 PM

The concept was you got the men jerking off to the VS catalogs and runway shows and then they'd buy the expensive underwear for their women. These days the women are more likely to say "Oh fuck you, I'm not sticking a string of razorwire lace up my buttcrack."

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2021 1:24 PM

Never understood straight men buying uncomfortable underwear for their wives or girlfriends. Completely selfish gift. Oh...

by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2021 1:29 PM

They need to see sexy clothes to get it up for hump #3,458 with the Mrs.

by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2021 1:31 PM

[quote] wonder what underwear lesbians wear...at least I personally can't imagine the butch ones in anything sexy, satiny, or floral.

Can’t speak for the other lesbians, but I certainly like and own many classic-style panties and a few bras trimmed with lace and bows, made with satin, or printed with floral designs. Some are even pink! There’s nothing Hetero-exclusive about ornamentation or colour or frills. Same with floral perfume, or skirts, or lipstick and heels. One doesn’t need to be draggy about it—to me, it is really sexy to see a woman eat subtle little touches alluding to classic ideas of traditional feminiity while still displaying a powerful androgyny.

I don’t think own any boyshorts or boxers, though I had a short phase of wearing them as an insecure teen who hated my changing body. Now I love being a (slim) woman with hips and tits who can wear feminine clothing whenever I like. I don’t believe I should diminish my femme side because I’m lesbian or because I appreciate masculinity in myself and other women.

That said, I agree with R42 and draw the line at floss thongs & G-strings. They hurt like hell thanks to chafing and pinching, plus they will give you a yeast infection if worn too often or too long in stifling conditions. Also, unless your arse is peach smooth and tight and younger than 21, they are not flattering.

As a youngish Millennial hipster-adjacent, I would say my main concern about female lingerie and underwear is ethical and sustainable. These days I want to know that anything I buy hasn’t been made using exploitative sweatshop labour or slavery, and that fair trading standards are in place for the materials. Recycled materials are also attractive. I hate and try not to buy high street store underwear now, because most of it is made unethically.

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2021 1:33 PM

[quote] just like men like to admire other male bodybuilders as aspirational, women also like to admire other female models as being aspirational. Megan Rapinoe just doesn't seem like someone women want to look like or whom men want to be with.

^^^^THIS x 1,000,000

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2021 1:41 PM

Cut her some slack, athletes generally can't dress themselves (and apparently don't know who to ask for help).

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2021 1:47 PM

This decision is almost as bad as the New Coke debacle. Rapinoe is fugly--no woman or man wants to look at that.

by Anonymousreply 48June 20, 2021 2:09 PM

VS has a work out line and they may want MR as the person representing it which in theory should work, an athlete for work out gear but they are forgetting that their main client base is looking for pretty feminine and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 49June 20, 2021 3:32 PM

Do lesbians think Rapinoe is sexy? Or is she purely a media creation?

by Anonymousreply 50June 20, 2021 3:39 PM

A lingerie shop opened near me called ‘Victoria's Secret Pink'. I don’t know why they didn’t just call it Victoria's Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 51June 20, 2021 3:49 PM

Watching this flop is going to be fun.

by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2021 3:56 PM

R45 I just showed my roommate your post and she said the part about feminine and sustainable is ideal. However, those aren't always made in all kinds of length (short, tall, or petite) and are harder to access and present limited quantities, choices and may not be available everywhere or for those on a budget. For example, no way could the employees at Equinox who earn minimum wage be able to afford pair of leggings for $85 at Whole Foods so, naturally, they head for the $15 ones at some fast fashion which you KNOW will be caught using slave labor.

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2021 4:08 PM

I wonder how many in this thread bemoaning this change are actual women.

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2021 4:17 PM

Hardly any R54. Most women already know the brand and know it's a joke that been dying for years. I've heard many women complain about the quality/style.

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2021 7:18 PM

Yeah, there's something shady about Victoria's Secret. Epstein got a lot of money from the founder, Les Wexner, with no real explanation of why Wexner would seemingly gift Epstein that. Wexner now claims that Epstein stole $46m but why did he never sue? And the NYPost has reported that Ghislaine was constantly at Victoria's Secret events:

[quote]“They were always these really trashy shows full of rich men in the audience. Ghislaine acted as the kind of Nazi guard, telling everyone where they were sitting in the audience and that she had new ‘pop tarts,’ which is what she called the young models.”

I wouldn't be shocked if there was more that could potentially come out so this move could be damage control in more ways than one.

by Anonymousreply 56June 21, 2021 2:18 PM

That sounds sexy just like Soviet Russia

by Anonymousreply 57June 21, 2021 2:26 PM

Similar to what happened to Abercrombie. That went well.

by Anonymousreply 58June 21, 2021 2:29 PM

[quote]Victoria's Cunt

I can't find an example online but I seem to remember the first ad I ever saw for VS was actually a print ad in the New Yorker that described how the company was carrying on the tradition of Queen Victoria dressing up in sexy lingerie for Prince Albert, which was supposedly the secret of their happy marriage. So if memory serves Victoria's cunt is actually VS's founding principle. Have a great sex life, great family, life, AND rule an empire! You CAN have it all!

by Anonymousreply 59June 21, 2021 2:37 PM

I worked with a steamy shit who stockpiled groupon and coupons for VS.

If his wife or stepdaughters or grand stepdaughters had an occasion to shop for clothing, he revved up his Dodge Voyager to take them to the mall for underwear.

There is a market for male pervs.

by Anonymousreply 60June 21, 2021 3:35 PM

[quote]The company has been listening to far too much Twitter and far too little actual customers. This will be one of those "what were we thinking???" decisions to be rescinded.

"Actual customers?"

[quote]The concept was you got the men jerking off to the VS catalogs and runway shows and then they'd buy the expensive underwear for their women. These days the women are more likely to say "Oh fuck you, I'm not sticking a string of razorwire lace up my buttcrack."

And R42 nailed it.

The world is changing, whether you like it or not. Women want to buy their own underwear that they like, that feel good, and don't fall apart after being washed once.

The Angels aren't conducive to that.

by Anonymousreply 61June 21, 2021 3:43 PM

Several of my women friends used to love VS but quit shopping there years ago because the quality went down and the prices went up. I think this idea will kill whatever VS had left .Nobody wants to see ugly or fat bitches in sexy lingerie .Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 62June 21, 2021 3:43 PM

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the generational shift. Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s women were more likely to accept being viewed as a sex object by your boyfriend or husband as ok. It’s really an antiquated view on gender roles and a women’s place.

Women today focus on education, careers, kids which has shifted their priorities and views on what their self worth is really about and can’t be bothered to constantly try to be sexually desirable like the ads promote with ultra thin scantily clad women.

Sure women still love lacey pretty things but they don’t feel obligated to wear it to appease their partners because they know their worth more than just a sex object for others.

I feel like the scandals and me too movement has also impacted women’s views.

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2021 5:18 PM

Abercrombie apparently shifted their entire strategy to show more inclusivity in the brand and the company is on a rebound. Good for VS for trying something new to see if they can revive the brand. Otherwise it wound just die.

by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2021 5:22 PM

The question remains: is Rapinoe really appealing to any demographic at all? Is there a huge Megan Rapinoe-hungry market that my imagination fails to conjur at this point?

by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2021 12:30 AM

We could see the end of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issues too, especially with their selecting a trans woman to model this year.

by Anonymousreply 66June 22, 2021 12:38 AM

R65, she might be! I wouldn’t be influenced to buy VS, but she has a certain girl power appeal. I like that she’s not traditionally feminine, and isn’t trying to turn that into some non-binary or trans thing. Girls need to see those role models, too. We had them in the 80s and they disappeared for an entire generation.

by Anonymousreply 67June 22, 2021 1:00 AM

R65 Lesbians and radically feminists, masculine women in general. Maybe she is just a token, though.

by Anonymousreply 68June 22, 2021 1:09 AM

Victoria's Secret is not providing comfortable and flattering undergarments for the average woman so sales keep falling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 22, 2021 1:36 AM

R67 - most women in the US are too Disney brained to get that appeal. A business has to sell to the masses and the masses aren't going to relate to or find Rapinoe appealing at all.

by Anonymousreply 70June 22, 2021 8:28 AM

All of my feminine lesbian friends find Rapinoe a fug with appallingly gross looking skin. Nothing to do with just having short hair.

by Anonymousreply 71June 22, 2021 9:56 AM

WIth now they're expanding their label to cater trannies will their underwear/lingerie line provide "room" the crotch area to accommodate ALL woman ?

by Anonymousreply 72June 22, 2021 11:38 AM

I guess all Rapinoe does is pose like Lebron. She's less threatening than that earlier US soccer player who stripped down to her sportsbra to celebrate that one time.

by Anonymousreply 73June 22, 2021 11:52 AM

The list actually isn’t as radical as it seems: with the exception of the Butch lesbian and the full-figure gal, the rest are quite conventionally pretty and feminine, including - yes - the transgender model

by Anonymousreply 74June 22, 2021 12:05 PM

Surprised nobody mentioned the "allegations" of VS doubling as a high-end prostitution ring.

by Anonymousreply 75June 22, 2021 12:22 PM

R70, “Disney-brained” is a great adjective. I’m stealing that.

Also, you’re right.

by Anonymousreply 76June 22, 2021 12:52 PM

If there are any actual women here, you know how difficult it is to find comfortable and affordable (mostly-) cotton underwear for everyday wear.

Muji has them.

by Anonymousreply 77June 22, 2021 12:53 PM

Megan Rapinoe already did some modeling for Sports Illustrated. She looks like the average woman that Victoria's Secret is trying to sell to because selling hot pink bras and flimsy, trashy underwear to teenage girls does not translate into profits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 22, 2021 9:51 PM

R29 and R42 are right.

For lingerie there are far better options almost ANYWHERE, quality wise. Victoria's Secret is utter crap that falls apart sometimes even before you wash it. Forget the washer! You'll never wear it again. It also offers little support, little sizing range and the whole business model is out of date for reasons already mentioned.

They need to rebrand and make quality, comfortable items for a more inclusive and female (or identifying as female ) customer base. There could be a sexy line, a seamless line, a sporty line, a tailored basics line...

by Anonymousreply 79June 22, 2021 10:00 PM

Thanks a lot R78, vomit all over my caftan...

by Anonymousreply 80June 22, 2021 10:03 PM

Victoria’s Secret became like Spencer’s Gifts, trashy and cheap and with a joke factor.

by Anonymousreply 81June 22, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote] Yeah, there's something shady about Victoria's Secret. Epstein got a lot of money from the founder, Les Wexner, with no real explanation of why Wexner would seemingly gift Epstein that.

There was an interesting article in Vanity Fair about their relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 22, 2021 10:22 PM

Yes, lesbians find Rapino sexy. Like straight women, gay women prioritize other traits over looks. They appreciate a person's character, kindness, and accomplishments. They appreciate someone whose determination won the World Cup and who's not afraid to be herself. And, she may not be Christy Brinkley, but she's not "ugly".

Women don't want to wear this shit. The company's marketing team has worked overtime to convince women that they are good enough to arouse their men, that even the thinnest most attractive women must still wear uncomfortable clothing to help their men get it up. When, ironically, most straight men will get horny for a woman even if she's wearing a caftan...or just plain naked...even if she's overweight. Lingerie is a scam...unless the woman is married to a man who needs all the help he can get in the arousal department. They should market this shit to middle-aged women whose husbands use viagra and rich young women who are trophy wives for old geezers (and who need to get their man hard at least once so they can get knocked up to ensure a good divorce settlement).

by Anonymousreply 83June 22, 2021 10:36 PM

[quote] Megan Rapinoe already did some modeling for Sports Illustrated.

That picture looks so bizarre...like it's been photoshopped to death but not.....I can't quite put my finger on it

by Anonymousreply 84June 22, 2021 10:54 PM

It is pretty mean to convince women to wear this shit when most guys will fuck a watermelon or a knothole in a tree or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 85June 22, 2021 10:56 PM

Ms. Chopra is so unattractive to me. She was very pretty before she had the botched nose jobs. She needed polyp removed my ass...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 23, 2021 1:14 AM

R86, agreed. But honestly, I went to a college with tons of Indian women and there were many that were way more attractive than Chopra, even at her best. She looked much better during her Miss India days but she was never anything special.

by Anonymousreply 87June 23, 2021 1:18 AM

R78, OK, I think I realize why that picture looks so weird to me. It looks kind of like Dorinda from RHONY. It's like a version of her face has been photoshopped on that body.

by Anonymousreply 88June 23, 2021 1:19 AM

Um, they were already collapsing, that's why they decided to make a change

Funny that some people will bitch about this but say nothing about Les Wexner...

by Anonymousreply 89June 23, 2021 1:20 AM

Look for sales to tank.

by Anonymousreply 90June 23, 2021 1:21 AM

Victoria's Secret closed 241 stores in the US and Canada in 2020 and plan on closing 30-50 more this year and the UK arm collapsed into administration last year, so that's another 25 stores. I'm sure there are more closing elsewhere too so it looks like sales were already tanking and this is a bit of a desperate move.

by Anonymousreply 91June 23, 2021 1:26 AM

Women should go to Macy’s for underwear. They have an assortment that will satisfy most shoppers: all cotton, wicking, Brazilian, thong, hipster, brief, bikini, French Hi-cut, Jockey, Calvin Klein, Bali, Vanity Fair, grandma—all in different colors and materials.

by Anonymousreply 92June 23, 2021 1:30 AM

Most women go to Walmart for their underwear.

by Anonymousreply 93June 23, 2021 2:42 AM

la Vie en Rose in Canada has better quality products that fit well.

by Anonymousreply 94June 23, 2021 2:54 AM

Now everyone just picks up a pack at Costco. The glamour days are over.

by Anonymousreply 95June 23, 2021 3:13 AM

To answer the question at R35: ideally, neutral colors (absolutely no pink), relatively plain, and no ribbons or lace or frills. No g-strings, thongs, etc. They look uncomfortable and are anyway too evocative of the straight girls whom I dislike. Lately, I have been trying bralettes.

I would not consider myself butch (I wear skirts and dresses on a regular basis, and I keep my hair at about shoulder length), but I tend to go for a utilitarian look and dislike the trappings of femininity.

by Anonymousreply 96June 23, 2021 3:42 AM

I am a petite older woman - I have always watched my diet. The last thing I want to see is some fat chick in underwear. make it stop.

by Anonymousreply 97June 23, 2021 9:06 AM

I don't wear underwear.

by Anonymousreply 98June 23, 2021 10:53 AM

They made decent underwear.

by Anonymousreply 99June 23, 2021 10:55 AM

I agree that the Angels are terribly dated, but this is not the solution. Just give us the male version with a harem of twinks and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 100June 23, 2021 11:02 AM

It's amazing how many posters here are trying to blame "ugly" women on the demise of VS when there have been multiple articles proving VS has been tanking big time for awhile now. They made bad business decisions and are trying one last desperate attempt to stay relevant but it'ss simply too late for that.

by Anonymousreply 101June 24, 2021 5:50 PM

Men do not give a shit, as someone said upthread. If they’ve got a woman with her clothes off, they don’t care.

I’ve seen so many comments about what men find sexy, and at the top of the list is: sweatpants/yoga pants, white tank top, messy ponytail.

by Anonymousreply 102June 24, 2021 6:05 PM

So true about people (both women and men) buying underwear at WalMart, Target or Costco. Nobody cares anymore about hot designer underwear, they just want it to be comfortable and cheap.

by Anonymousreply 103June 24, 2021 6:25 PM

If people do want sexy lingerie, they'll go somewhere like Agent Provocateur or even a regular department store - Victoria's Secret stuff is too tacky/poor quality for that even.

by Anonymousreply 104June 24, 2021 6:26 PM

People don't care anymore because the quality at fancy places has even gone down. So many synthetic materials make some underwear unbearable. What happened to cotton silk etc?

by Anonymousreply 105June 24, 2021 6:28 PM

Agent Provocateur is much better quality, way sexier, and a lot more stylish.

by Anonymousreply 106June 24, 2021 8:40 PM

Fat chicks need underwear too. They should have just quietly made bigger sizes

by Anonymousreply 107June 25, 2021 3:00 AM

Isn't Amanda De Cadanet's greatest accomplishment fucking Simon LeBon back when he was young and attractive? Oh, and being able to remember the word accessories?

by Anonymousreply 108June 25, 2021 3:07 AM

Sorry, de Cadenet, and wrong Duran - John Taylor, not Simon LeBon

by Anonymousreply 109June 25, 2021 3:08 AM

They were never the same after Alessandra retired. She was the queen of the angels.

This is why we can’t have nice things in the age of the ultra-scold.

by Anonymousreply 110June 25, 2021 5:55 AM

Kiko Mizuhara would make a great model for Victoria's Secret. She's a popular model in Japan and would appeal to the Asian market as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 26, 2021 6:30 PM

[quote]Fat chicks need underwear too. They should have just quietly made bigger sizes

They did. I was with a friend while she was shopping for XL panties on the tablecloth-covered table rounds. She didn’t see her size so she asked the saleswomen if they had her size anywhere else. The saleswoman lifted up the tablecloth and pulled out a large storage bin and said, “here you go.” True story!

Thank god my friend has a good sense of humor and this was some years ago. I can’t imagine if that happened today.

by Anonymousreply 112June 26, 2021 6:53 PM

I don't find Alessandra that attractive - her legs are disproportionately short and she has a pinched horse face.

by Anonymousreply 113June 26, 2021 7:08 PM

This made me laugh. I wonder if it will work, honestly.

I take it were objections to uniform and "unrealistic" beauty standards - which I get, but isn't fantasy part of the point? Certainly for the hetero men looking, but often even for the women who don't meet those standards. There's "realistic" people around all of us all the time.

by Anonymousreply 114June 26, 2021 7:41 PM

" the visual/ reality gap between high fashion models and the populace just got too wide and people revolted against it. "

I guess that's why DL isn't the best group to understand this since many (though not all) gay men embrace the visual/reality gap when lusting after men.

by Anonymousreply 115June 26, 2021 7:47 PM

"Never understood straight men buying uncomfortable underwear for their wives or girlfriends. Completely selfish gift. Oh... "

I think the point was that it was sexy. It didn't necessarily have to be worn as daily underwear. It could just be to play around, to look hot for a little bit, etc. True, there's probably plenty of more comfortable, sexy lingerie, but VS was as a well-known brand to straight men, who could (back in the day prime days of brick and mortar retail) more comfortably just go to VS than waltz into the underwear section at Macy's.

by Anonymousreply 116June 26, 2021 7:51 PM

R114 The fantasy is not translating into profits. Victoria's Secret is closing up to 50 more stores this year.

by Anonymousreply 117June 26, 2021 7:57 PM

"People don't care anymore because the quality at fancy places has even gone down. So many synthetic materials make some underwear unbearable. What happened to cotton silk etc? "

This is almost uniformly true across the world of clothes. You can still find quality clothes, but it can be difficult and expensive - not always, but a lot of the time.

So many basic clothes - jeans, polos, hoodies, workout clothes, t-shirts, sweaters - are so often crap quality. It's really frustrating. Basic mall places like a mid-range department store or The Gap, used to have good quality items that lasted.

It's often said that "fast fashion" is to blame, which had the side effect of making people alter their acceptable price points for many different pieces of clothing. "That's too expensive" is now often applied to prices that aren't even that high. Plus, I think it's easier to get away with cheapness with the ever increasing presence of casual wear that many people prefer - joggers, leggings, hoodies.

I see more and more of the junk clothing every time I go to the store. Fine, i have to replace it in 6 months, but can't it wear well for 6 months. Often, no.

And, please, please top making everyday jeans and shorts with stretchy material. It's not more comfortable and it ruins the shape within a couple wearings. A pair of jeans will hug your ass nicely and three weeks later there's mishape and sag. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 118June 26, 2021 8:05 PM

#MeToo has been huge over the last few years. Remember that the oldest millennials are 40 now and the oldest Gen Z-ers are in their 20s now. They are having less tolerance for trying to meet up to the mostly impossible standards of a VS Angel - VS was always a bit of a creepy enterprise that vibed of escorts for men. No surprise that Ghislaine and Epstein were involved, to be honest.

And, if you're not offering high quality and style as a counter, then VS is fucked at this time which is why they're trying to pull this. I personally doubt it will work but we'll see.

by Anonymousreply 119June 26, 2021 8:14 PM

Most of these “straight” men can easily be fooled by a crossdresser who puts in a little effort.

by Anonymousreply 120June 26, 2021 8:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!