Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pelicans attacked, mutilated in California

If you see something or know something, please let the authorities and the Wetlands and Wildlife Care Center (a wildlife rehabilitation organization in Orange County) know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 25, 2021 7:47 PM

Fuck I hate fucking people. The sooner we all disappear from the planet the better.

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2021 4:32 AM

I know what you did, OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2021 4:38 AM

If you know something or want to donate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2021 4:40 AM

šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2021 4:17 PM

Brutal Attack on Pelicans - Whoā€™s Mutilating Pelicans?

Huntington Beach, CA ā€“ June 16, 2021

WHOā€™S MUTILATING PELICANS?

Someone is intentionally breaking Brown Pelicanā€™s wings. Over 32 Brown Pelicans have been mutilated between San Clemente and Huntington Beach. We need your help to find whomever is performing this atrocious act. Be OUR eyes and ears: Be on the lookout when you are on or near our oceans. Report all suspicious incidences to the CalTIP hotline at 888-334-2258. Or, text ā€œCALTIPā€, followed by a space and the message, to 847411 (tip411) if you have any information on these crimes. Include penal code 597 in the report.

Twenty-two Brown Pelicans have suffered compound fractures to their wings. A compound fracture (also known as an ā€œopen fractureā€) is a broken bone that is accompanied by breaks in the skin, causing the broken ends of the bone to come into contact with the outside environment. ā€œThese are very serious injuries that require emergency surgeries and long term careā€ states Dr. Elizabeth Wood, DVM. Orthopedic surgery and care is costing thousands of dollars per bird.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2021 4:19 PM

It was Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2021 5:06 PM

If I was King of the World, the cunt(s) responsible for this would be vaporized immediately.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2021 5:11 PM

I did it! And youā€™ll never bring me to justice.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2021 5:12 PM

Coverage today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2021 2:55 AM

Are they taking their Boniva?

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2021 2:59 AM

As I get older I find myself immediately and deeply disturbed by cruelty to animals and children. I guess you get through life and you get really fucking tired of imbalances of power, especially if they manifest in physical pain. I hope they get those fuckers and the system fucks them up.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2021 3:09 AM

[quote] Over 32 Brown Pelicans have been mutilated between San Clemente and Huntington Beach.

I'm going to bet it's some freak from Huntington Beach.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote] Fuck I hate fucking people. The sooner we all disappear from the planet the better.

Who said itā€™s human?

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2021 3:23 AM

It may be other animal predators.

Why worry about 32? We have thousands of them in summer where we live.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2021 3:41 AM

So you think those who mutilate cows are animal predators too? How naive are you?

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2021 3:43 AM

R14, because each is an individual with one life to live, just like you.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2021 3:43 AM

Jesus loves every single one of them. Absolutely every singe one of them are precious in his sight.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2021 3:45 AM

Pelican mutilation has been going on for a long time in Southern California and Florida, most often perpetrated by fishermen. A number of years back, fishermen in OC were breaking off the pelicans' upper bill. The birds try to steal the bait fish, become ensnared in the fishing line, and the fishermen then commit unspeakable cruelty.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2021 4:00 AM

A discussion involving mutilation on DL is not complete without hormone supplementsā€¦

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2021 4:02 AM

Someone should mutilate the fishermen. Why canā€™t a new Satanic cult form to do this?

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2021 4:33 AM

These fish are damaging fishermen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2021 4:37 AM

Those whales (or ā€œfishā€ as R21 calls them) should team up with the Satanists and mutilate the fishermen in Huntington Beach.

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2021 4:40 AM

All those bandages in the OP's picture look very labor-intensive.

I'm sure there's lots of bored householders and unemployed people who'd love to volunteer their time to wrap all those bandaged wings.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2021 5:09 AM

It's Orange County, not surprised at all. It's always been full of assholes and what a coincidence, it's also the largest concentration of registered Repulcians in the country. They were big an-maskers back when the pandemic started with hundreds of people in the street openly defying the public health order and police who did nothing about it because they were also on team Trump. Huntington Beach is full of white low IQ surfer dudes and their blond leather skinned babes. There have been 2 major riots there over the decades because straight white dudes are so under represented in society they need to break things.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2021 6:52 AM

No new news about the 32 brown Pelicans.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2021 9:09 AM

Take these broken wings

And learn to fly again

Learn to live so free

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2021 10:30 AM

When I moved to Redondo Beach in 2002, and later Long Beach, the brown pelicans were one of the discoveries that made me most happy. I loved watching them from above the beach as they would drop out of the sky, almost like they were shot and totally a dead drop, plunge into the ocean, be submerged for what seemed close to a minute and then bob up, sometimes with a catch. They always made for good ocean viewing. The cormorants were nice two, but they were much more elusive and for the most part would just just stand and model on the edge of docks, jetties or rocks and then sweepingly glide down into the water to try and make their catch.

It was either that 2002 or 2003 that around Christmastime a lot of brown pelicans were discovered slaughtered. What was weird to me was that the pelican is symbolic of Christ and being that time of year seemed like kind of a religious message was trying to be made.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2021 10:57 AM

Stand the perps up against a fucking wall, break both arms, then drop them into the middle of the fucking ocean from a fucking plane. People who do this kind of thing are irredeemable sociopaths and a waste of oxygen.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2021 11:29 AM

[quote] Huntington Beach is full of white low IQ surfer dudes and their blond leather skinned babes.

I know you weren't trying to be funny, but this made me laugh!

'Ol Leatherass aptly describes both of them pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2021 3:28 PM

R21

Those Killer Whales are brutalā€¦ā€¦..and way too fuckin smartā€¦.if I were a sea lion ..Iā€™d be trying to get on that boat tooā€¦.

Killer Whales helped the whale hunters of old round up other whale species sought after for their oil because after the hunt they would feed on the remainsā€¦ā€¦they didnā€™t get that ā€˜killerā€™ title for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2021 4:07 PM

Did they find who or what did it?

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2021 4:13 PM

Pelicans are annoying here in the south. They literally shit huge turds everywhere. I donā€™t know why people are so attracted to these ugly birds. I am horrified with the animal abuse of course, but theyā€™re really nothing special. Just large, annoying, not particularly good for game. Supposedly has a real gamer flavour.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2021 4:13 PM

I agree with R1.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2021 4:25 PM

Still no action nor news.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2021 11:52 PM

Thanks R34.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2021 11:56 PM

I have been in tears for days.

When will it stop?

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2021 12:04 AM

It was those damn pigeons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2021 12:10 AM

Some good need for animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2021 12:33 AM

*news

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2021 2:26 AM

At least they're not using pelicans in fur coats.

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2021 2:35 AM

That's $172 per bird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 2, 2021 6:36 AM

PETAā€™s got lots of wealthy supporters and star power, could they come up with something better then that offer?

by Anonymousreply 42July 2, 2021 6:43 AM

Death penalty for animal abusers.

by Anonymousreply 43July 2, 2021 6:57 AM

Well, R43, I suppose you wouldn't like the sign I saw down at the marketsā€”

[quote] 'Fish are Food, not Friends'

by Anonymousreply 44July 2, 2021 7:17 AM

R44 is just simply obtuse. FFā€™d.

by Anonymousreply 45July 2, 2021 2:10 PM

So what do all you animal-lovers feel about this exploitative TV show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2021 8:51 AM

I would rather see man bear pigs than real bears. Now that would be a show to watch.

by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2021 8:53 AM

R24 Oh please. Surfers are the last people who would be into abusing animals, especially beach wildlife. Lots more animal abuse going on in the inner city with pitbull abuse and dogfighting. You sound like a racist suburbanite ignoramus.

by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2021 9:09 AM

You have never been to Huntington Beach R48 have you. They had a riot there a few years ago. And not the first time it's happened there. And yes, all white young surfer guys at the beach.

by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2021 9:39 AM

...Surfers with anger issues. Cross a surfers path in the water and see how "friendly" they are.

by Anonymousreply 50July 3, 2021 9:40 AM

The surfers are bullying new people on their beaches. Itā€™s a thing in CA.

by Anonymousreply 51July 4, 2021 2:56 AM

This is still unsolved?

by Anonymousreply 52July 4, 2021 3:01 AM

This is so horrific. I can't deal with the fact that it's still unsolved.

by Anonymousreply 53July 4, 2021 3:02 AM

. I can't deal with the fact that Matthew Camp's arson attack is still unsolved.

by Anonymousreply 54July 4, 2021 3:15 AM

I canā€™t believe they donā€™t know who murdered the Murdaughs yet?

by Anonymousreply 55July 4, 2021 3:27 AM

I grew up in Huntington Beach and my neighbor operated a small fishing charter. Years ago, there was another rash of pelican mutilations. The fisherman/neighbor said that the atrocities were committed by another fisherman (or several) who viewed the birds as competition.

He said the alleged perp was from a culture that has very different views regarding animal cruelty. I won't name the nationality because this was just hearsay and I have no idea if there is a correlation between the current attacks and these.

Yes, some surfers are assholes but this seems more like the work of someone with a specific agenda against these birds. The birds often become entangled in fishing lines when trying to eat the bait. So my vote is either "evil fisherman" or "basic psycho."

by Anonymousreply 56July 4, 2021 7:53 PM

It's a known fact most surfers are ass holes. They are not the laid back dudes you see in movies. That said, they are usually ass holes to other people not to wild life. My guess is fisherman of all stripes. I wouldn't say it's a specific nationality. Fishing is a brutal hobby if you think about it. You kill little living creatures to catch bigger ones which you will also kill or eat or just throw back into the water as "sport". Why not kill a bird at that point if it's interfering with your killing spree. Oh excuse me, I mean your fun.

by Anonymousreply 57July 4, 2021 8:35 PM

R57, The alleged bird torturer in my post was not a hobbyist, but a low-level commercial fisherman (but not from the Newport Beach Dory Fishing Fleet).

I've known a lot of surfers, including some pros, and most are not assholes. The territorial "surf nazis" have been around for decades (especially in HB), but it's a pretty big stretch to say "it's a known fact that most surfers are assholes."

by Anonymousreply 58July 4, 2021 9:41 PM

I love pelicans. I love watching them dive into the water. They are amazing to watch. Their wings tuck in. they stretch their necks and hit the water with almost no splash. A perfect aerodynamic machine.

by Anonymousreply 59July 4, 2021 9:57 PM

R56

[quote] He said the alleged perp was from a culture that has very different views

It's called multiculturalism. We MUST accept people from cultures that have different views

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2021 10:02 PM

If a group of people get the name The territorial "surf nazis" I am pretty sure they earned it and are in fact most likely ass holes. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2021 6:09 AM

[quote] I am pretty sure they earned it

But have they earned the right to be so territorial?

There's nothing worse than amateurs who can't control their boards and take up more wave room than is necessary

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2021 6:12 AM

R62 = Duuuude! I am so with you Bro.

by Anonymousreply 63July 6, 2021 6:49 AM

Multiculturalism is destroying this country.

by Anonymousreply 64July 6, 2021 11:32 AM

Once caught they need to have the Tipi Hendren Hitchcock treatment.

by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2021 11:47 AM

The media are still on it. I'm thankful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2021 3:47 PM

If we had more surveillance and facial recognition, this could be stopped.

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2021 3:49 PM

Greece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 26, 2021 6:50 PM

Re Kostis the seal. Todayā€™s Washington Post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 28, 2021 4:58 AM

Rich Americans must fund special Seal Farms!

by Anonymousreply 70July 28, 2021 5:00 AM

A $25,000 reward is now on offer to get the lowdown on these dry rotten pelican-mutilators.

by Anonymousreply 71July 30, 2021 5:53 AM

I wish they'd go after the crows instead. Those fuckers are annoying!

by Anonymousreply 72July 30, 2021 6:05 AM

Crows are so mordant.

I hate ibises. They are filthy ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 30, 2021 6:11 AM

R73, at first I thought you meant to say "ibex."

by Anonymousreply 74July 30, 2021 6:12 AM

I do hope Linda Moulton Howe is looking into these reports. Perhaps the aliens have moved on from cattle.

by Anonymousreply 75July 30, 2021 6:31 AM

This is my town. I live one block from the wetlands, and I can't believe this is happening. These are not "locals". About five years ago, there were a couple of wayward dolphins who swam into the harbor, here, and some random people went down there and threw bricks and rocks at the lost dolphins!!! It was shocking and disturbing!!!

This is people coming in from the Inland Empire who are misbehaving. Like all the Trump Rallies that happened here! These were not "Locals",! They were QAon people from Riverside County, showing up to get on the news! Fuck these assholes!

by Anonymousreply 76July 30, 2021 6:49 AM

Stop mutilating pelicans!! Let them keep their foreskins!!

by Anonymousreply 77July 30, 2021 6:53 AM

R76, if you see something, please let the police and that rescue know. Not just the police, as they may let it fall through the cracks.

by Anonymousreply 78July 30, 2021 1:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 7, 2021 6:40 AM

Happy Brown Pelicans were highlight on the nature section of CBS Sunday Morning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 3, 2021 3:31 PM

Some good news for animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 25, 2021 7:45 PM

I hate humans.

by Anonymousreply 82October 25, 2021 7:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!