Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has Merrick Garland gone rogue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 12, 2022 7:48 AM

There was some controversy when Obama nominated him for Supreme Court- some Libs felt he was really conservative. I guess we see that Obama had poor judgement. Biden needs to kick this old douche to the curb. He sucks . And damn. Lisa Monaco looked abjectly miserable at the press conference last week. I think she knows he's full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2021 4:47 AM

He was not Obama’s first choice; he was the candidate that Obama thought McConnell would approve.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2021 4:53 AM

Oh so he was obamas bend over and present hole candidate. Now it makes more sense. Now it makes even more sense to replace him before it gets ugly or more harm is done.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2021 8:25 AM

What is it with Dems hiring all these textbook jellyfish? The GOP can basically elect anyone short of Satan himself and it’s fine, and we put Mr Whipple focusing on who squeezed the Charmin in the AG role.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2021 8:34 AM

They will nominate me, R4.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2021 10:34 AM

Now that Biden is hitting his stride, he needs to replace all the fail-safe Obama era appointees. Let's say a gentle push, by year end?

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2021 10:03 PM

"The principle that no one is above the law is not self-enforcing. Justice can only be served if law enforcement agencies are willing to pursue justice against anyone who violates the law--regardless of the office they hold. There is no greater threat to the rule of law than failing to hold accountable the most powerful among us," he wrote before adding, "Neither Mueller nor Barr made a final decision as to whether Trump should be prosecuted for obstruction of justice because DOJ policy precluded that outcome as long as he was president. Now that Trump is no longer president, the department needs to decide whether he will be prosecuted, and Attorney General Merrick Garland should let the American people know how that decision will be made. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2021 3:32 PM

He is a milquetoast that is what I see when I see Merrick Garland. What a queenie name too.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2021 3:44 PM

Are we seeing a Sinema/Manchin situation here? Because I'm convinced they're both compromised or "controlled opposition". Is Garland on the Pee Anthology?

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2021 4:35 PM

AG should've been (should be) Sally Yates.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2021 5:01 PM

Agreed. Poetic Justice has been served. Now it's time for action and yes, I do believe Garland sympathizes with the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2021 5:03 PM

Not sure I agree that Garland wasn’t his first choice. Obama is a pretty conservative Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2021 5:03 PM

I feel like this is Obama 2.0 where we don’t want to ruffle feathers and let bygones be bygones in the name of normalcy— and in the spirit of bipartisanship—while these motherfuckers plan to nothing but obstruct and grift.

We need the political version of this, not this useless DC bureaucrat who thinks it’s business as usual. Stop fucking around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2021 10:17 PM

I wonder if Garland is being threatened by someone.....

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2021 10:19 PM

He needs to be replaced right away. Fire his ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2021 9:01 AM

Merrick Garland is the best thing that ever happened to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2021 9:43 AM

Milquetoast is the best description for Garland. But so is Biden and Schumer. Can we get rid of Garland and replace him with Sally Yates? Can we please replace Schumer with Amy Klobuchar? But you see, Biden himself is also a milquetoast and probably a closet sexist because of White Male Privilege and believes females can’t be tough and are too emotional.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2021 11:38 AM

Apparently Garland spent like 25 years just hearing administrative law cases which is why he’s such a poindexter AG. He’s not really the man for this job at this time.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2021 11:54 AM

So why did he get the job?

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2021 4:57 PM

Bill Clinton was right when he observed about Americans "When Americans are feeling insecure, they prefer wrong and strong, rather than weak and right." He said that in the context of speaking about America's wars with foriegn countries.

Now, America is at war with itself.

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2021 5:11 PM

“probably a closet sexist because of White Male Privilege “

Perfect example of the kind of crappy knee jerk thinking that gets Republicans elected.

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2021 5:22 PM

Will Garland and DOJ investigate the federal law fraud coming out of the Weisselberg indictment?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2021 9:45 PM

Does he still have his job. Please tell me he’s gone.

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2021 11:35 PM

Pretty hilarious to see what utter duds people like Garland and Mueller really are. They probably play golf with Kavanaugh and Grover Norquist.

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2021 12:10 AM

How polite Democrats are...giving him two weeks to hand it over. Just fucking take it now.

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2021 12:29 AM

On Monday night, there was a brief moment of serious consternation at the news that the Department of Justice (DOJ), under Attorney General Merrick Garland, had declined to prosecute former Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross for lying to Congress after the department's Inspector General forwarded a serious referral presenting evidence that Ross had lied. The next day, the Associated Press, which published the report, issued a correction to say that it was actually the William Barr Justice Department that had issued the declination, not Garland which was a welcome relief for those who have been growing more and more concerned about whether there will be any real accountability for the Trump administration's lawlessness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2021 4:21 PM

Thank you for not spelling it “rouge”, OP.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2021 4:30 PM

he's actually gone vogue, r27.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2021 9:38 PM

It's about the Separation of Powers. Congress has limited direct access to Executive Branch materials without a subpoena. And even then, a lot of it remains up to the discretion of the individual cabinet department.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2021 9:41 PM

^ Blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2021 10:22 PM

Yet, R26, Ross remains uncharged.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2021 10:31 PM

He's a sheep in sheep's clothing.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2021 10:33 PM

Oh, all Hispanics look rogue-ish

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2021 10:34 PM

Why did they choose him in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote]How polite Democrats are...giving him two weeks to hand it over. Just fucking take it now.

Democrats are the officials politely asking Warden Norton to please, pretty please come out of his office with his hands up, knowing full well that demon has no interest in doing the right thing, even when the jig is up. Like, "Bitch you DO know he will shoot you AND your mama dead in the face rather than surrender, right?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2021 10:48 PM

What a bunch of wimps to begin with.

A changing of the guard is much needed.

Garland is textbook example of a pencil pushing limp wristed wimp who you can do anything to...

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2021 8:43 AM

A new development from Merricks DOJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2021 1:45 PM

^Excellent news.

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2021 11:19 PM

It's been over a month since OP's article. Did I miss news that the memo has been turned over, or is Garland still refusing to do so? Does congress have any power to force him to hand it over?

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2021 11:31 PM

It's common for prosecutors to target low-level offenders first in wide-ranging cases in hopes of turning up evidence against higher-level defendants, and journalist Marcy Wheeler tweeted out a theory she's developed about the Justice Department strategy against those who plotted and carried out the U.S. Capitol riot: “DOJ seems to be prioritizing trespasser arrests based off video they want to get from them,"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 25, 2021 4:08 PM

"Trump is still walking around, free as a bird, even as the people he compelled to storm the U.S. Capitol are being sent to prison at a steady clip. Considering how much public evidence there is for Trump's criminality, it's hard not to conclude that the Department of Justice's failure to prosecute is less about the law and more about politics. Specifically, there's reason to fear that Attorney General Merrick Garland worries that Republicans will seize on any legitimate prosecution of Trump as an excuse to launch a thousand illegitimate prosecutions against Democrats the next time they control the DOJ."

I guess Merrick has not gone rogue. He's playing politics - badly. The Dem way. Ok keep him. I'm fed up and tired. I give up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 31, 2021 8:56 PM

The exchange, one of a dozen times that Weisenheimer blocked former officials from answering committee questions, underscores the tension facing the Biden DOJ and Attorney General Merrick Garland. Although congressional Democrats have largely hailed Garland’s willingness to make witnesses available, the interviews show that the Biden administration will still move to protect Executive Branch interests.

And that tension may sharpen as House and Senate investigators begin to delve more deeply into the Trump White House’s role in orchestrating efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 8, 2021 4:30 PM

He is certainly not compromised or working undercover for the GOP, but I think this administration made a very bad call early on to focus on the future and not look back and examine what happened under Trump. My gut says that came from Biden, not Garland. And there’s an overwhelming amount of work right now, with the same employee resource crunch in government that’s hitting other workplaces, so it’s easy for Garland to just keep his eyes on the present. To me it’s a huge mistake and betrayal of our country’s future not to expose the corruption that happened.

R24 I don’t think Garland is one of those, but plenty of liberal/moderate establishment types do golf with Kavanaugh.

by Anonymousreply 43October 8, 2021 4:45 PM

Told ya he was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 44October 8, 2021 4:48 PM

I don’t think it came fromBiden he has been vehemently opposed to interfering with investigations

by Anonymousreply 45October 8, 2021 4:54 PM

A sheep in sheep's clothing.

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2021 3:06 PM

Get me Sally Yates! Special Prosecutor, Sally Yates!

by Anonymousreply 47October 10, 2021 10:46 AM

[quote] [R24] I don’t think Garland is one of those, but plenty of liberal/moderate establishment types do golf with Kavanaugh.

The "good ole boy network" continues to destroy the country.

by Anonymousreply 48October 11, 2021 6:21 PM

Obama was a pussy. He only wanted this guy because he was ONCE AGAIN trying to kiss the ass of the repugs. When they told him he didn't get a pick, he went and hid under a rock. PUSSY

I remember when he nominated gwb appointee james comey on as head of the FBI. That was stupid obama just wanting to reach across the aisle like a PUSSY

Garland knows that biden just wants to move past Jan 6th. Biden doesn't have it in him to fight a paper bag

I have never seen such weakness as I have with top democrats. They are fucking USELESS. Even my 8 and 10 yr old niece and nephew are tougher than the democrats. My niece and nephew can at least get their point across. That's something the democrats have never been able to do

by Anonymousreply 49October 11, 2021 8:03 PM

I've said this r49 and I was called a racist.

by Anonymousreply 50October 11, 2021 10:44 PM

But Obama was a pussy

by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2021 1:01 AM

Trump will get away with everything. Democrats are not going to prosecute any top official, I just don't see it. All of these are together behind the scenes. They're playing the public against each other.

And the media is part of this grand conspiracy. Washington & the media are working together to keep the public upset and divided and people don't even realize it. Politics is nothing but political theater. This is just one big show for the public, while Washington the media and big money rape the country.

This is one big game!

It's a big club & you're not apart of it.

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2021 1:50 AM

I think Joe wants his people to make it look like they needed to be convinced. He's very politically savvy that way.

He's going to get everything he wants. Just have patience.

And the Deplorables are not going to vote in 2022. They hardly ever voted before Trump, and he's not on the ballot that year. Hell, a lot of them didn't even bother to vote in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2021 2:04 AM

The instant DOJ announced it would defend Trump against E. Jean Carroll I knew all hope was lost. If Garland thinks rape is in the scope of a president’s job, then he thinks insurrection is in the job description.

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2021 2:06 AM

[quote] Obama was a pussy. He only wanted this guy because he was ONCE AGAIN trying to kiss the ass of the repugs. When they told him he didn't get a pick, he went and hid under a rock. PUSSY I remember when he nominated gwb appointee james comey on as head of the FBI. That was stupid obama just wanting to reach across the aisle like a PUSSY Garland knows that biden just wants to move past Jan 6th. Biden doesn't have it in him to fight a paper bag I have never seen such weakness as I have with top democrats. They are fucking USELESS. Even my 8 and 10 yr old niece and nephew are tougher than the democrats. My niece and nephew can at least get their point across. That's something the democrats have never been able to do

[quote] I've said this [R49] and I was called a racist.

[quote] But Obama was a pussy

You may or may not be a "racist" but you are definitely an idiot. Republicans controlled the senate and the senate has to approve the nominee. President Obama chose a Democrat who, under normal circumstances, a Republican controlled senate would have confirmed. McConnell wouldn't even give Garland a hearing, much less confirm him. What would have been the point of choosing a more liberal Democrat? There would have been no point at all.

The President cannot stop the senate from blocking nominees. Why do you believe that you are smarter or tougher than a man who beat all the odds and became the first black president. What have you done in your life, that is comparable?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2021 3:44 AM

You're a Republican lite wuss too r55 with tired ideas that produced nothing but defeat for the people but wins for the corporations. .

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2021 8:23 AM

[quote] McConnell wouldn't even give Garland a hearing, much less confirm him. What would have been the point of choosing a more liberal Democrat? There would have been no point at all.

Obama could have sued Mcconnell. But he didn't give a fuck. He was tired of being the president and couldn't wait to leave office

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2021 9:48 AM

[quote]The President cannot stop the senate from blocking nominees. Why do you believe that you are smarter or tougher than a man who beat all the odds and became the first black president. What have you done in your life, that is comparable?

I've done pretty well with my life. I wouldn't have been a dumb ass like Obama and picked james comey. How'd that work out? I wouldn't have tried to reach across the aisle to the repugs. How'd that work out?

He got Obamacare passed and gay marriage, but NOTHING ELSE

The republicans are vile, but damn they have a plan for EVERYTHING. They think outside the box too. The dems can't think of one damned thing. The dems are trying to play catch up from the republican actions of 2020. The dems should have been passing things left and right. And yes, there's sinema and manchin. Workplaces all over the country have problem employees and manage to get rid of them or work around them. But the dems can't think outside the box

The dems are too stupid to realize that the next republican president will make sure we don't ever have another democratic president.

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2021 9:59 AM

^ The SC "passed" gay marriage. Obama had nothing to do with that ruling as he wasn't on the court.

by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2021 1:12 PM

Lord the Obama hate on here is really mind boggling. Obama was the first black POTUS; he had a lot on his back. First and foremost he had to get reelected; he COULD NOT be a one termer. He also could not be as radical as many wanted him to be as he was not afforded such a luxury like the other white POTUSes. Even in something as revolutionary and universally beneficial as Obamacare, the white trash teabaggers who would benefit out of it made it into such a horrible act communism, that he lost midterms because his own party failed to show up and vote in midterms. Even after all that, under him gay marriage passed yet bitches like r59 are unashamedly claiming he had nothing to do with it. SMH. Mind boggling...

by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2021 1:41 PM

I think Merrick Garland has gone to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2021 3:50 PM

[Quote] Obama was the first black POTUS; he had a lot on his back. First and foremost he had to get reelected;

Um, why? Is that a rule?

by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2021 3:56 PM

[quote]Obama was the first black POTUS; he had a lot on his back. First and foremost he had to get reelected;

He did get re-elected. Then he did nothing. Those 4 yrs were a waste.

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2021 7:00 PM

R63 Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2021 10:47 PM

R55, Obama did have options. He was just unwilling to use them. He was always a hair's breadth from impeachment with the House and Senate under Republican control. Thus, he was not going to push the envelope.

Garland has not gone rogue. He prosecuted Timothy McVeigh for the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing, so he's not unfamiliar with terrorists who are white US citizens. He has been a judge for a long time, however, and it takes awhile to get back into a leadership role. I think there was also a lot of rot internally in DOJ that needed addressing in terms of Trump employees being buried in the organization. And DOJ had/has policy changes that need to be made, of which some are challenging. You don't want a sitting President to be able to strong arm DOJ attorneys into political activity.

I think if the Jan 6 Select Committee refers those defying subpoenas for criminal prosecution, those subpoenas will be enforced. DOJ did a nice job challenging the Texas abortion law. That decision, so full of detail and analysis, will make it hard for the Supreme Court to do what it did last time. I would love to see the Committee ultimately subpoena Trump. I think Garland would enforce that as well, if asked to do so.

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2021 11:57 PM

Some have forgotten what the acronym ACA is. It is the AFFORDABLE Care Act. Sorry hon, but that affordable part is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 66October 13, 2021 7:54 AM

Obama had both Senate and House with DP majorities after the 2008 elections.

by Anonymousreply 67October 13, 2021 9:44 AM

[QUOTE] I think if the Jan 6 Select Committee refers those defying subpoenas for criminal prosecution, those subpoenas will be enforced. DOJ did a nice job challenging the Texas abortion law.

DOJ is also defending TRUMP against E. Jean Carroll. So it’s defending a rapist — because he used to be president. Therefore I doubt it will help the committee.

by Anonymousreply 68October 13, 2021 10:07 AM

Merrick Garland won't even indict Matt Gaetz. That would have been an easy one to do. Robert Mueller 2.0.

Outside of Pete Buttigieg and one or two others, the Biden cabinet is weak.

by Anonymousreply 69October 13, 2021 10:25 AM

Please release the unredacted Mueller Report!!!. How much do I have to plead…or pay!…or who do I have to fuck for Chris sakes!

The single GOOD thought I have for Merrick Garland is if he could be re-assigned to the Supreme Court with Sally Yates taking over the DOJ. Then, if Garland would kick the bucket the next day so that we could retain a fighting chance!

I shouldn’t have to imagine such things.

by Anonymousreply 70October 13, 2021 11:26 AM

"I would have wiped the floor with every last one of you motherfuckers."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 13, 2021 2:42 PM

The Dems are cumrags they have at a year before they lose the House. Yet here they are Aunt Pitty Patting their power away. Been there done that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 13, 2021 3:27 PM

R63 he was a lame duck president in his second term with McConnell not compromising one bit with anything he wanted to do. His first term he tried to pass Obamacare but the press ran with the tea party narrative.

I do feel Obama was naive where he gave the American people too much credit in that he thought his election gave him a mandate and he thought they were smart enough to realize what he wanted to do for the country, so he wore a laissez faire attitude, thinking the ACA would pass with the two branches of government. Apparently you have to spoon feed Americans with how you want to help them. Democratic voters fell hook line and sinker for the so-called liberal media and the Tea Party's narrative that we couldn't afford the ACA and that senior citizens would be killed. They didn't show up to vote for midterms.

I do recall that black woman telling Obama at a town hall meeting barely a year into his presidency that she felt she was making excuses for him in front of her conservative, white coworkers. That wasn't fair of her but it showed how the media turned on him and how quick the Democrats were to abandon him, expecting change overnight from the first "black" POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 73October 13, 2021 3:54 PM

[quote] Apparently Garland spent like 25 years just hearing administrative law cases which is why he’s such a poindexter AG. He’s not really the man for this job at this time.

That's a ridiculously untrue statement. Apparently you don't know who this man is.

When I started practicing in DC Garland was an Asst US Attorney (our local prosecutors) and he continued to handle criminal cases when he went to Main Justice and while on the bench. He has tons of experience in criminal law at all levels.

by Anonymousreply 74October 13, 2021 5:04 PM

[Quote] Obama was naive where he gave the American people too much credit in that he thought his election gave him a mandate and he thought they were smart enough to realize what he wanted to do for the country,

No, not naive. Inexperienced. Hubris. Just black. White liberals voted for him because he was black so that they could tell everyone and themselves they were not racist. Which, if you ask me, is racist.

by Anonymousreply 75October 13, 2021 5:09 PM

[quote]Democratic voters fell hook line and sinker for the so-called liberal media and the Tea Party's narrative that we couldn't afford the ACA and that senior citizens would be killed. They didn't show up to vote for midterms.

I saw it more as disappointment with the watered-down, no-public-option ACA we ended up with.

by Anonymousreply 76October 13, 2021 5:14 PM

Disappointment r76? I was outraged! The public option was not even put on the table! With Obama airily saying oh it would not have passed and neoliberals going along with that.

He didn't want to fight for it. He had no balls, just talk. He was not a leader, rallying forces, winning people over, knocking heads, changing people's minds, threatening, negotiating like LBJ. He was s right wing Reagan Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 77October 13, 2021 5:24 PM

"We'll just make everybody buy insurance instead! Isn't that great?"

I was furious that he didn't start out at single-payer and negotiate from there.

by Anonymousreply 78October 13, 2021 5:28 PM

R77 you're looking at ca. 2010 with AOC colored glasses.

by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2021 1:45 AM

Yes, R78. He was simply too inexperienced and not very brave. Which is why I was furious the superdelegates shoved Hillary aside.

But he was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2021 2:35 AM

This type of truth paralysis also occurs when both parties get caught with their hands in the proverbial cookie jar. Just keep this in the back of your mind when seemingly easy/obvious slam-dunks do not materialize The so-called truth may implicate a powerful Dem or two.

by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2021 11:13 AM

R80. I will pat my own back when I heard all that bullshit roll off Obama’s tongue during his campaign. I stuck with Hills all the way. When Obama claimed he liked Reagan’s trickle down financial policy, it should have put a nail in his coffin, but it didn’t. Go figure. I realized McCain was going to lose the very moment he announced Sarah Palin as his running mate. I mean, WTF?

by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2021 11:22 AM

Some of you bitches are truly delusional. You think America is radically liberal when just this past January people ( who almost half the country and agrees with ) tried to overthrow via insurrection a centrist liberal leader to put their bigoted conservative leader back in power. And that orange leader has not even been arrested or charged (and hardly will) while most of the insurrectionists have only gotten a slaps on their wrists. Yet you wanted Obama to be that great far left savior and thought Hillary would've been any better? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2021 3:29 PM

R83 I was with Hillary all the way too, in 2008 as well as in 2016.

I liked Obama too but I thought and still do, he'd do/ have done a better job, right-wing though he was, if he was veep under Hillary for 8 years first.

It was/is hard to tell what effect Obama would have had on a Hillary presidency since he was an unknown and had virtually no resume to judge him by. But he did have the gift of the gab and could relate to crowds one could see.

I think Hillary is an amazing woman. One of the great women America has produced. I also thought she was a bit too corporatist at home and hawkish abroad.

Her love of the country is undeniable however even though the country had moved so far to the right by then.

I don't know if this makes sense to you but even though she had become too center right, I felt she was the best candidate for POTUS could produce at that time. It probably speaks to the immense disappointment in the country that I was feeling at the time after 8 years of W and Cheney.

Her moment is past though. But I think she is of great value as an elder statesman for the country still.

by Anonymousreply 84October 14, 2021 3:48 PM

Sorry I meant r82 not r83.

by Anonymousreply 85October 14, 2021 3:49 PM

"... they're sending a message to Bannon and the other witnesses they're targeting this this investigation that if you don't comply, they will try to force you. But it's a lengthy process. It's ultimately up to the attorney general whether to actually prosecute."

That would be Merrick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 15, 2021 7:29 AM

You are referring to Mr. Sock Puppet. Good luck with that…

by Anonymousreply 87October 15, 2021 11:40 AM

Meanwhile, Trump has been ordered by a judge in the Bronx to sit for a videotaped deposition. I wonder which top-drawer attorneys will be there to hold his hand for this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 15, 2021 12:32 PM

"Should Garland fail to quickly initiate a contempt prosecution against Bannon once it gets to his doorstep, it will be a signal that Trump loyalists will continue to have impunity in breaking the law. It could also be an invitation for them to commit more crimes against the democratic process in the future."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 15, 2021 2:20 PM

I know everyone wants to see "punishment" but there are laws, regulations and a process that have to be followed.

What may seem like some slam dunk case against a hated individual may be incredibly complex and in fact be nothing more than a house of sand when it comes to actually finding activity that meets the essential elements of a crime. Sad thing is that many people who commit or play with crimes have advisors who can keep them from going over that line into criminality. Of course one can only hope that someone like the Ex who seems to listen to no one did not listen to those advisors.

Also if the government is working on a large and complex conspiracy case that can take a long time in normal times and we still have US attorneys and Justice people still working from home a certain number of days each week. Despite techie things that slows things down. We still have less than the usual number of grand juries sitting. The system is not back up to speed and even if it were this kind of case would still take time.

Patience. There are many people working on it who would love to see a reckoning. But they also don't want to end up with egg on their faces and refuel support for the Ex with some poorly constructed case that any half way intelligent and fair judge would throw out.

by Anonymousreply 90October 15, 2021 5:04 PM

Wuss ^

by Anonymousreply 91October 15, 2021 5:57 PM

R90. Is that you, Adam Schiff? Is your tail neatly tucked between your legs and (presumptively) protecting what you consider a scrotum?

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2021 9:32 AM

Adam Schiff is a righteous man he would never let Bannon escape justice

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2021 3:50 PM

Adam Schiff:

. "When he came in under subpoena, he brought 25 questions written out for him by the White House by people who were the subject of the investigation, and he said these are the only questions I am going to answer and I've already answered them and the answer is no, and the Republicans were more than content with that. But things are not the same for Steve Bannon."

"The Republicans would not press these subpoenas and the witnesses knew they had attorney general in Bill Barr who would never hold them in contempt, would never prosecute them for violating the law because, after all, Bill Barr had been held in contempt," Schiff added.

"Now we have a Justice Department that is independent, Merrick Garland believes in the rule of law, that no one is above the law. If witnesses do not show up, we will hold them in contempt, we will vote them in contempt in the House, and we'll refer them for prosecution.

That will be a sign that our democracy is recovering that the Justice Department is upholding a principle that no one is above the law."

by Anonymousreply 94October 17, 2021 1:49 AM

Welp, righteous one r94. I am waiting….and still waiting…and waiting…waiting……..(died I’d waiting too long).

I bid one, Adieur.

by Anonymousreply 95October 18, 2021 11:59 AM

Merrick Garland was an Obama pick for the Supreme Court that Mitch McConnell suggested would be agreeable to Republicans as he is a Republican. Obama put him up for nomination and Mitch the bitch wouldn't even give Garland a tryout much less proceed to a hearing for nomination. Mitch is such a weasel! But Merrick Garland is just as bad. What a pussy. He doesn't want to make Mitchie or any of the republicans mad at him and Joe Biden needs to grow a brain cell and replace his (Garlands) grandma wrinkled ass fast.

by Anonymousreply 96October 19, 2021 3:05 AM

Merrick?….Merrick?….(crickets…….crickets….). Merrick? Please pick up on Red line. Merrick? Merrick?

Check his pulse please.

Merrick? Line one, two or three….please pick up. Merrick? It’s Joe. Merrick?…..please pick up…..

by Anonymousreply 97October 19, 2021 12:14 PM

Bitches be silent, okay?

by Anonymousreply 98October 19, 2021 2:03 PM

Douchebags be silent, okay?

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2021 5:43 PM

Michael Cohen has a felony on his record and spent time in prison for paying at the direction of President Trump hush money to Stormy Daniels and another woman," Cohen explained.

"I believe it's pretty well known that Trump was 'Individual 1' as described in the indictment."

"He couldn't be indicted because of Department of Justice policy, you don't indict a sitting president," the lawmaker continued.

"He's no longer a sitting president. Do you believe that not looking into and indicting 'Individual 1' -- equally if not more guilty than Michael Cohen -- is not an abuse of equal protection under the law and an abrogation of the idea that the rule of law is principle."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100October 21, 2021 5:46 PM

Merrick reply ^^ . Note he says all is equally protected not equally prosecuted under the law.

Weasel. Fire his ass to save the country.

by Anonymousreply 101October 21, 2021 5:50 PM

His head looks like one of those Southern hillbilly apple dolls they make in the backwoods of West Virginia. Swallwell said today on Ari Melber the most complaints his office receives are about Merrick Garland but of course, Eric was cautious in his criticism but he left me feeling like the Democrats will be surprised-pleasantly-if he chooses to prosecute walking festering postulant boil on the balls of humanity, Steve K. Bannon.

by Anonymousreply 102October 23, 2021 5:38 AM

[quote] The single GOOD thought I have for Merrick Garland is if he could be re-assigned to the Supreme Court

I think he'd probably side with the repugs almost as often as he sided with the dems

He's bad news

by Anonymousreply 103October 23, 2021 7:58 AM

Why do they keep him?

by Anonymousreply 104October 23, 2021 7:59 AM

What R 52 said

by Anonymousreply 105October 23, 2021 9:20 AM

[quote]He's going to get everything he wants. Just have patience.

Why does this sound familiar?

by Anonymousreply 106October 23, 2021 3:29 PM

"No wonder parts of the public in the U.S. are confused about whether what happened on January 6 at the Capitol was simply a petty offense of trespassing with some disorderliness, or shocking criminal conduct that represented a grave threat to our democratic norms," said Howell, who was nominated by former president Barack Obama in 2010.

"Let me make my view clear: The rioters were not mere protesters," Howell said, before asking why, when prosecutors called the insurrection an "attack on democracy . . . unparalleled in American history," some defendants are being treated the same as nonviolent protesters who routinely disrupt congressional hearings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 28, 2021 9:31 PM

R107 Ironically if they were all Black, they’d be treated differently. As Trump would say “Everyone knows this.”

by Anonymousreply 108October 28, 2021 9:35 PM

The Left's embrace of Merrick Garland is yet another example of our utter incompetence at the political game. The whole point of Garland was that he was the most palatable Democrat to Republicans, and if they would reject him it would point out their hypocrisy. He was specifically put there to highlight the R's obstructionism. It was a smart, late-Obama move since he's no dummy and knew there was no way McConnell was ever going to give him so much as a hearing.

So I never understood why everyone was so excited about his nomination, except as a useless "fuck you" to McConnell who could not give less of a shit. In some ways, this was just another victory for him. He got the Democrats to make the Most Palatable To Republicans guy the G-d Attorney General AND he still got the seat.

Just like Mueller, he was never really on our side and was never going to deliver anything remotely close to what we want. His appointment was a huge Biden misstep made for emotional reasons, and I say that as a B supporter. It's almost as bad as Obama putting Comey in charge of the FBI to prove he was true to his word on bipartisanship, only for him to fuck the Democrats 8 years later and hand the country to Trump. Garland is almost as bad an appointment.

by Anonymousreply 109October 28, 2021 9:38 PM

[Quote] The Left's embrace of Merrick Garland is yet

What Left? What embrace?

by Anonymousreply 110October 28, 2021 10:15 PM

R107, not every defendant is similarly situated, even in similar situations. That's why we don't sentence people in groups. All the parties have a role to play - judge, prosecutor and defense. I know for a fact some of those defendants were arrested on the grounds and in the parking lot and not in the building. .

Do you think this judge ever railed for 10 minutes, let alone an hour, over the old mandatory minimum drug sentences? Um. no.

by Anonymousreply 111October 28, 2021 11:39 PM

[Quote] I know for a fact some of those defendants were arrested on the grounds and in the parking lot and not in the building. .

^ do you know some of these people personally, you're a part of their group? R111 Were you there? I'm fascinated.

by Anonymousreply 112October 29, 2021 4:03 AM

Schiff states that the Department of Justice "should be doing a lot more" when it comes to investigating "any criminal activity that Donald Trump was engaged in,"

That's Rep. Adam Schiff, the California Democrat who chairs the House Intelligence Committee, talking.

We're sunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 30, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote] ^ do you know some of these people personally, you're a part of their group? [R111] Were you there? I'm fascinated.

Well besides the arresting documents, yes, I know OF their situations personally. Many of my colleagues are representing them, I chose not to be available for these cases.

by Anonymousreply 114October 30, 2021 9:15 PM

Obviously dem lawmakers and their sides read DL. See what they've come to now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 1, 2021 8:09 AM

Any XX female person would possess naturally higher testosterone blood levels then these two non-verified “male” appearing human specimens.

by Anonymousreply 116November 1, 2021 9:58 AM

He looks like Mr. Magoo

by Anonymousreply 117November 1, 2021 10:55 AM

Has he been paid off?

"In New York, prosecutors have been moving forward with its investigation into the Trump Organization. In Atlanta, the local prosecutor is reportedly convene a special grand jury for her investigation into Trump's effort to overturn the election. But the DOJ has remained silent"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 11, 2021 12:52 PM

Fire him...now!

by Anonymousreply 119November 11, 2021 1:48 PM

So Trump has won a stay? Then on to the loaded Supreme Court. Playing by the cooked books are we now, Merrick?

We need the SDNY more than ever. Fuck DC. C'mon New York.

by Anonymousreply 120November 11, 2021 9:34 PM

Merrick will be the one person in a position of accountability who is worse than Donald Trump, if he fails to prosecute the former president for his crimes.

by Anonymousreply 121November 12, 2021 3:29 PM

R75, what a ridiculous statement. I would not have voted for McCain/Sarah Palin and no one in their right mind would have. It had nothing to do with Obama's color. Can you imagine if McCain had gotten a second term and checked out early?? Sarah Palin as President??:

by Anonymousreply 122November 13, 2021 2:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 13, 2021 2:49 AM

Noting that "we are living in an era of political violence," Acosta said the question isn't whether the situation will get worse, but whether we'll do anything about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124November 14, 2021 8:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 28, 2021 3:27 AM

He is a Eunuch at the very least!

by Anonymousreply 126November 28, 2021 9:06 AM

He reminds me of my granny. He just needs to slip into a flannel nightgown. Sorry but this weasel disgusts me and why Biden put him in that job is questionable. And I'm sure to get slammed for saying Biden used bad judgement picking Kamala Harris for VP. She is very unimpressive. These are 2 albatrosses bringing Biden's Presidency down. Among others.

by Anonymousreply 127November 28, 2021 5:00 PM

I’m still a little giddy that Numero Uno Eunuch Obamballs failed to put Bambi Eunuck Garland on the bench!

by Anonymousreply 128November 29, 2021 11:30 AM

R127, Garland worked at DOJ before he became a judge. Do you know what the Oklahoma City bombing was? Do you know who Timothy McVey was? Do you know who prosecuted McVey and got the conviction in this case? Garland has a strong history and background in dealing with white supremacists. As such, he was a good candidate for AG.

by Anonymousreply 129December 1, 2021 9:17 PM

R129: That was then, this is now. When is Garland going to put a halt to insurrectionist activities?

Piss--or get off the pot.

by Anonymousreply 130December 2, 2021 6:58 AM

Unlikely it seems ^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 24, 2021 12:50 AM

Biden is getting rid of the filibuster (fucking finally!).

by Anonymousreply 132December 24, 2021 12:55 PM

Worthless coward.

by Anonymousreply 133December 24, 2021 1:23 PM

He was Obama's pick so I don't have much confidence in him.

by Anonymousreply 134December 24, 2021 6:48 PM

It's been 6 months since the OP. What's Garland done so far? Also did he ever produce the Barr memo he was asked by the Senate Democrats?

by Anonymousreply 135December 24, 2021 6:53 PM

He's a fucking little weasel. He had better step it up or Biden should force him to resign and he can appoint someone else-but will the Republicunts vote for any replacement Biden would seek to appoint. But he could do what Trump and appoint a temp. AG. Fuck it-this is important. Garland and Biden will go down in history as being responsible for the death of democracy if Trump et al pull off a real coup. The dress rehearsal coup on Jan. 6 2020-enough people died who shouldn't have.

by Anonymousreply 136December 25, 2021 3:04 AM

John Dean had a thread on Twitter this morning, putting the prosecution of January 6 insurrectionists into context by comparing it with the Watergate prosecutions. His thread is summarized below. Essentially, it took 2-3 years to get the people at the top. Having been Nixon's white house counsel and prosecuted himself by DOJ while cooperating with the investigation, he is a true expert here. He is optimistic that DOJ will go after top officials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 1, 2022 4:08 PM

Still... nuthin'

“The compelling evidence of criminal activity by Trump revealed by the committee in its recent 61-page court filing should spur DoJ to act expeditiously,” Paul Pelletier, a former acting chief of DoJ’s fraud section, told the Guardian.

“Given the gravity of the revelations, the department should consider a strike force or even a special counsel to coalesce sufficient resources to focus on these criminal attacks that strike at the heart of our democracy,” Pelletier added. “There is no time to waste now that the House committee has provided the clearest view yet into how Trump and his campaign apparently schemed to upend our democracy.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 11, 2022 9:06 AM

[quote] I guess we see that Obama had poor judgement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139March 11, 2022 9:27 AM

He! He! Kick the can down the road should be on Obama’s epitaph.

by Anonymousreply 140March 11, 2022 11:11 AM

The problem is, how many times does the public have to see the same thing happen over and over again? The Republicans are total bullies not caring about rules and the (Constitutional) law and the Democrats dropping the ball to make these Republicans suffer the consequences of their actions?

For me, even AOC, a very progressive member of the Democratic Party, is too weak. The Dems do need some Antifa guys who will literally cut a Republican bitch. If these Republicans are caught lying, stealing, cheating, breaking the law, shoot them in the knee caps, drain their bank accounts, tar and feather them. Make them fucking pay. Make them suffer. Treating them with dignity and respect will not make them change their bully ways. Turning them into bloody messes will.

by Anonymousreply 141March 11, 2022 2:50 PM

Merrick had defended Trump n this case too (!) but now it cannot be held up any longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 11, 2022 5:48 PM

All these posts about Obama having poor judgement. He attempted to appoint Garland to SCOTUS, NOT Attorney General. There's a big difference. As a judge, all Garland would have to do is listen to cases and make a decision. Once voted, he'd get some blowback but it'd all go away. As AG, he has to actually work, and very aggressively. And not be swayed and/or scared off by his Republicunt taunters. Apparently, it ain't workin' out so well.

What pisses me off is Biden doing nothing about it. He should fire Garland, and appoint a temporary AG like Trump did. Someone who will press charges! I do not understand why Dems don't use the Republican playbook against them to not only teach them a lesson, but to get things back to the way they're supposed to be. The argument that the Repubs will reverse when getting back in power is ridiculous. The more we reverse, the less power they will currently have and the longer it will take for them to take back the reigns.

by Anonymousreply 143March 11, 2022 6:05 PM

^ This.

by Anonymousreply 144March 11, 2022 6:10 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 145March 12, 2022 5:34 AM

R143. Because the DUMS, errr…DEMS always take the high road.

by Anonymousreply 146March 12, 2022 5:46 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 147March 12, 2022 5:22 PM

The clock is running out....

by Anonymousreply 148March 14, 2022 5:51 PM

¿Compromised, how?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 29, 2022 6:58 PM

Has DL been compromised too?

Meanwhile, in related news. What does Biden see in him? Still?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 1, 2022 7:36 PM

He can't be trusted. He's an Obama man and therefore right-wing.

by Anonymousreply 151April 3, 2022 6:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152April 3, 2022 9:43 AM

Our government (both DEMS and GQP) are hopelessly compromised folks. The corruption goes so deep that if you try digging for the truth in one area, you’ll be sure to find a set of skeleton bones. And then when you try to dig some other area of dirt to bury that set of bones, you’ll end up digging up yet another set of bones! And on and on it goes.

by Anonymousreply 153April 4, 2022 12:02 PM

Garland has just hired ANOTHER 100 prosecutors/investigators. Personally, I think he is going to plead out the jerked off idiots who were enticed to DC, and go after the coordinators and legislators who were a part of the election count and overturn. The true seditionists, traitors and saboteurs of our Democracy.

Ginni Thomas may never appear before the 1/6 HUAC, but she will be indicted by the DoJ.

by Anonymousreply 154April 4, 2022 12:20 PM

One can hope, at least. Thoughts and prayers, too.

by Anonymousreply 155April 4, 2022 2:10 PM

R141, Nancy Pelosi is no wimp. She is very aware that Trump et al planned and carried out an attack on the Congress to stop the acceptance of the vote. That attack nearly killed her and her colleagues and did injure and kill officers who were defending them. As a leader, I think she heavily feels the responsibility for making sure this does not go away. That said, Garland and DOJ are another branch of the government and she does not have control over that unit. The January 6 Commission is the impetus to see that more is done to bring Trump and others to justice.

by Anonymousreply 156April 12, 2022 2:49 AM

R156 That this is being debated as though it were merely some inter departmental or inter agency matter is astounding.

by Anonymousreply 157April 12, 2022 4:44 AM

Why doesn't Biden just fire his sorry ass?

by Anonymousreply 158April 15, 2022 9:21 AM

I told you so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 5, 2022 3:04 PM

So he has to be compelled? Did he watch the hearings? I read he said he would watch as much as he can. SMH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160June 12, 2022 2:04 AM

Thursday's hearing made indisputable, the biggest threat to the DOJ's reputation of independence from politics is Trump himself. As long as Trump is free to worm his way back into the White House, legally or not, the DOJ is in very real danger of being corrupted in Trump's image.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161June 23, 2022 10:02 PM

Garland must go asap. Biden should tell him to resign or be fired.

by Anonymousreply 162June 23, 2022 11:30 PM

Why does he need to be jolted? Cattleprod his wimpy ass. I still don't trust him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 12, 2022 7:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!