Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Angel Heart - the movie Discuss!

Creepy mystery thriller. Who else loves this oldie?

Was Mickey Rourke ever hotter?

All fans and stairwells and churches. So many layers of symbols and meanings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143June 24, 2021 3:47 PM

I watched it with friends in a drive in

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2021 2:58 AM

and rourke was never hotter

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2021 2:58 AM

How did Charlotte Rampling not recognize that Harry Angel was Johnny Favorite? Wasn't she a major part in abducting the real Harry and switching his soul for Johnny's?

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2021 3:03 AM

Christ knows it's better than that similarly titled Jennifer Lopez film from the 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2021 3:06 AM

I remember thinking how Lisha Bonet, who played Denishe on the Coshby Show, wash all grown up!

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2021 3:09 AM

I haven’t seen the movie in years but I remember loving it because it was so bizarre. I’ll have to watch it again sometime if it’s ever on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2021 3:10 AM

Love this film. Alan Parker was such an interesting director who wasn't afraid to try different genres. Fame... Shoot the Moon... Pink Floyd's The Wall... Birdy... Angel Heart... Mississippi Burning... The Commitments... Evita.

Rouke, indeed, was never hotter. And De Niro gave a great supporting performance.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2021 3:13 AM

The sex scene with Bonet in the cheap hotel room is lurid but still great. Rourke was at the peak of his hotness in this. If that was his ass not a body double it was a thing of beauty. I wanted him to fuck me the same way with water pouring over us minus the blood. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2021 3:19 AM

R3, I wondered the same thing so I went back and re-watched the movie last night.

If you remember, when Mags and her old man sprang Johnnie from the hospital, his face was all bandaged from where he had to have reconstructive surgery on his face.

Where he was performing during the war (WWII), he was hit in the shoulders and face from shrapnel. I think this was only mentioned once about the facial surgery.

Since Johnnie was still bandaged and had amnesia, he wouldn't have known Mags and she never saw his "new" face.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2021 3:30 AM

Love this film. Bought the steelbook Blu-ray last summer. Interesting interviews in the extras.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2021 3:35 AM

This film had tremendous buzz when it came out. I saw it on cable the next year and was blown away. De Niro was terrific--I guess spoilers already, so--as the devil. Watched it again recently and couldn't capture the impact. Was it the twist at the end that made it so memorable the first time?

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2021 3:38 AM

Thanks, R9. Some things still don't make sense though.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2021 3:42 AM

Who is the figure in black seen scrubbing blood off the church walls in Harlem?

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2021 3:43 AM

Rourke is his hottest in Year of the Dragon.

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2021 3:46 AM

You never see who it is—but there is a scene at the end where you see DeNiro (not in character) dressed in the black veil/dress.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2021 3:47 AM

Very atmospheric; Rourke was hot, so was Bonet; De Niro was perfect as the devil and those long fingernails he wore made my skin crawl; saw it during its first run and saw it again during lockdown and was still caught up in the film's aesthetic. I loved New Orleans in my golden youth.

by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2021 3:47 AM

Yeah, Lisa Bonet was smoking hot in it as well.

I might have to get that Blu-ray. Those interviews sound worth it.

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2021 3:51 AM

9 1/2 Weeks is another favorite—love how how the cinematography captured 80s NYC culture like Angel Heart captured 50s NYC/New Orleans. Mickey was also at his most beautiful and sexy in the film. Soundtrack is also great!

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2021 3:53 AM

I found a website that goes into how everyone involved with Johnny Favorite was brutally murdered, including the hot number who helped out Angel find newspaper clippings about Johnny Favorite.

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2021 3:56 AM

I like the elevator shots symbolizing his slow descent into hell as he realizes who he is/was.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2021 4:01 AM

I like this German poster art the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2021 4:02 AM

It’s actually one of my favorite De Niro movies…he’s a bad little devil in that one…

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2021 4:08 AM

This is the creepy song playing at the end—Johnny Favorite’s hit song. Yeah, I’m a big fan of this film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2021 4:09 AM

I would advise anyone interested in this movie to read the book it was based on, "Falling Angel", by William Hjortsberg. It's a great, pulpy read.

I liked the movie. It had some great acting by Mickey Rourke (who looked greasy but sexy) and Robert De Niro. It had some beautifully shot scenes, like the one where the distraught Harry Angel runs off into the pouring rain, as a record plays a song called "Girl of My Dreams', presumably sung by the crooner Johnny Favorite.

A big difference in the movie from the book was the Lisa Bonet character Epiphany. In the novel she is indeed a voodoo mambo who performs wild rites and sacrifices chickens. She's quite uninhibited sexually. But she's also the proprietor of a successful herb shop; she essentially runs the business by herself, with a couple of employees. She takes college classes in her spare time. She also dresses in proper clothing; a suit and blouse, skirts, dresses. In the movie she is what I think the author of the book called a mere "fuck bunny" living in poverty, dressed in see through rags and with an illegitimate toddler with glowing eyes. In the movie the character is lessened into basically just a sperm receptacle for Harry Angel. Too bad; in the novel she's intelligent and independent and making a living on her own, in addition to being an expert on voodoo and a very sexual young woman. I thought the novel Epiphany was a much more interesting, faceted character.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2021 4:16 AM

I love the music in this.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2021 4:20 AM

It's one of my favorites , many great moments. Harry Angel in the Hoodoo shop, clumsily asking questions and being shut way down by the clerk. Madame Cruisemark side eyeing Harry Angel during his reading.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2021 4:30 AM

Well, share it, r19!

Stop holding out in us!

Is the Epiphany character in the book also Favorite's daughter, r24?

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2021 4:34 AM

R24 is Epiphany’s mother, Evangeline, described the same day in the book, or is she different?

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2021 4:36 AM

Alan Parker's finest moment

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2021 4:48 AM

The lyrics sum up some past relationships lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2021 4:53 AM

Can't find the site I stumbled on years ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2021 4:53 AM

In the novel Harry Angel seeks to question Evangeline Proudfoot, Johnny Favorite's older lover, but is told by Epiphany that her mother died years ago. Evangeline Proudfoot was a West Indian woman, a voodoo mambo, who got seriously involved with Johnny Favorite. She's fascinated by him but is also aware he's dangerous; he's into devil worship. They have a passionate affair that results in their daughter, Epiphany. In the novel Epiphany tells Harry Angel she's Favorite's daughter and that her mother said Favorite was "a fabulous lover."

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2021 4:54 AM

I think I understand why they didn’t develop Epiphany’s Lisa character more, First, Bonet wasn’t that great of an actress and she was more gimmick at the time since it was such a contrast to her TV role. .lSecond, it would have made the movie even more complex/confusing for the average viewer. I agree it would have been more interesting, but I remember it was a big scandal and Bill Cosby was appalled. Lol

Here’s the RS cover

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2021 5:07 AM

Wasn’t there a scene where there was an orgy in hell?

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2021 5:12 AM

I remember that, too, r33.

A lot of people were clutching their pearls that Bonet was naked or half naked in most of the movie after being on a "family" show.

Not like kids would be flocking to the theater to see this anyway.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2021 5:14 AM

I don't know if it was necessarily "hell", r34.

From what I read on another site, it actually took place in the room where Favorite performed the ritual murder of the soldier and ate his heart.

That could be someone's opinion, but it sounds like something that would happen.

On a tangent, Margaret said that Johnnie got sent overseas before he could complete the ritual to cheat the devil out of his soul.

Why couldn't he complete it overseas? Did he need Margaret's help? She seemed to be the one who helped him kill that soldier.

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2021 5:22 AM

Yea there is a flash of a scene that looks like some kind of ritualistic Satanic orgy. I think R36 is right.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2021 5:30 AM

I think it was R20 who mentioned, but I have to second mention the ending. One of the most horrific and creepiest ever. The sound effects alone of the elevator's creaks as it continues it's descent into hell. Gave me nightmares. Angel Heart gets my vote for the scariest movie of that decade.

Then Fight Club went and stole it's ending!

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2021 8:24 AM

I…KNOW…WHO I AM…

I love how he just gets more and more ragged aa the movie goes on. And the nose guard lol

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2021 8:28 AM

In an interview years later, Lisa Bonet admitted that she loved pissing off Bill Cosby. She eluded that she had been on to him for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2021 8:33 AM

^^alluded. (I wish we could correct our own replies after posting them).

by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2021 8:34 AM

Yeah it sucks. But typos in DL are why some eldergays still look forward to each day, so consider yourself an inspiration to others.

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2021 8:41 AM

Otherwise, we wouldn't have Shitley MacLaine and Lens Dunham.

by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2021 8:49 AM

Scary and creepy, lisa bonet actually does a good job in the role

by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2021 12:32 PM

I thought she was great as well.

by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2021 3:25 PM

I saw it when it was first released and was completely unimpressed.

by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2021 3:46 PM

I like it. It's like Chandler with a supernatural twist.

by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2021 4:09 PM

Mikey rourke likely did his best acting in it

by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2021 4:29 PM

[quote]I found a website that goes into how everyone involved with Johnny Favorite was brutally murdered, including the hot number who helped out Angel find newspaper clippings about Johnny Favorite.

Interesting that her death isn't mentioned at all. I'd assumed that everyone Johnny/Harry did in received their comeuppance because they had helped Johnny weasel out of his deal with the devil- he does say that he guided Harry's hand.

by Anonymousreply 49June 17, 2021 4:33 PM

Why, R46, what was underwhelming to you? Don't just drop a poison pill and run away. We'd love to hear what you didn't appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 50June 17, 2021 4:59 PM

Plenty of other movies "stole" the twist ending or some variation of it after this movie came out.

If you didn't see Angel Heart when it came out, the ending may not have been as shocking to you but it still made you think.

On a psychological level, it made me wonder how much we really know ourselves? Johnnie was able to "hide" himself from Harry for the most part. Yet Johnnie was able to push Harry aside and kill.

Did DeNiro always know who Johnnie was? The murders were just DeNiro manipulating Johnnie to get the electric chair but why wait 12 years?

And what happened to Harry's soul? He was just an innocent murder victim at the end of this and Johnnie was still owing his soul to Satan so what happened to Harry's soul?

by Anonymousreply 51June 17, 2021 6:09 PM

Its best asset is of course the phenomenal acting of Lisa Bonet.

LISA BONET: "I would like to play this part like I'm completely stoned all the time."

ALAN PARKER: "You mean just like your character on 'The Cosby Show'? A brilliant choice! How will you get into character?"

LISA BONET: "Uh, let me go back to my trailer for a few minutes..."

by Anonymousreply 52June 17, 2021 6:15 PM

Honestly it’s a film about the supernatural—not a math equation. I kind of get annoyed when films are analyzed to death, because more often than not, anything that isn’t completely explainable is used as justification for writing off the entire movie.

by Anonymousreply 53June 17, 2021 6:22 PM

In the novel the satanic orgy was in a subway. It included the sexual ravishment of a young teen virgin and the throat slitting of an infant. Harry Angel witnesses the black mass and takes pictures of it as evidence. (prominent people are taking part in it). Little good it does him. He was doomed from the start.

by Anonymousreply 54June 17, 2021 7:06 PM

sounds like the L train

by Anonymousreply 55June 17, 2021 8:14 PM

R18, I love it, too. All of Adrian Lyne’s movies are beautiful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 56June 17, 2021 8:36 PM

The colors are muted and some of the editing a bit disjointed so it makes most of the movie seem like some weird dream.

by Anonymousreply 57June 17, 2021 9:05 PM

R16, not sure if it's true, but a Redditor shared a detail about De Niro's nails in this movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 17, 2021 9:16 PM

Mickey Rourke was so handsome in this movie. It has to be my favorite movie of his. It’s a creepy thriller. Is it worth reading the book?

by Anonymousreply 59June 17, 2021 10:29 PM

I remember being stuck by the images of slowly turning blades of electric fans throughout the movie that eventually turned out to be tied to the critical ritual scene.

After the movie came out very hack threw in backlit images of fans without any purpose reducing it to a cliché.

by Anonymousreply 60June 17, 2021 10:36 PM

I feel like DeNiro becomes more evil looking in the same way Harry deteriorates and becomes more disheveled during the movie. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 61June 17, 2021 10:42 PM

I know I saw this a few times at the cinema during its 1st run - it was quite the controversy at the time because it originally got an X rating and it was said that Parker was forced to cut several seconds from the sex scene.

I don’t remember much about it other than the general milieu of witchcraft. Wasn’t Mickey Rourke kind of chunky in this?

by Anonymousreply 62June 17, 2021 10:42 PM

Oh wow I remember that. Didn’t it get released uncensored on VHS?

by Anonymousreply 63June 17, 2021 10:46 PM

Yes, r61, both.

DeNiro's fingernails get longer and he becomes more menacing as the movie goes on.

Harry gets more pale, anxious and his eyes start to look more sunken.

Part is costuming and makeup part is acting. Rourke becomes more frantic and DeNiro becomes more calm and deliberate as the movie goes on.

The direction is really excellent.

by Anonymousreply 64June 18, 2021 12:03 AM

I heard that De Niro was offered the role of Harry Angel but instead took the one of Louis Cypher, probably knowing that although the role was smaller it was pivotal to the music. Also I think he knew he would have a good time playing the role. De Niro seemed to be really enjoying himself as evil incarnate.

by Anonymousreply 65June 18, 2021 12:30 AM

Rourke and De Niro are excellent in this. 1987 was a great year for Rourke. This and Barfly are two of his finest performances. Then he went into boxing, got bad plastic surgery and did shit like Wild Orchid for the next decade and wasted so much of his talent until The Wrestler.

by Anonymousreply 66June 18, 2021 1:13 AM

I do, too r25. I was very disappointed when I bought the soundtrack, and it turned out they'd overlaid the music with excerpts of dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 67June 18, 2021 1:23 AM

I really think this movie has started a cult following. It’s beautifully shot. I love Robert De Niro as Lucifer. Mickey is so sexy in it. It’s so scary what he’s become now. This plastic surgery nightmare. It’s a really good movie. I think it’s being appreciated much more now.

by Anonymousreply 68June 18, 2021 1:30 AM

Rourke looked great in Body Heat, imo. Better than in Angel Heart. Wtf drugs did he use to ruin his looks? Or was it alcohol?

by Anonymousreply 69June 18, 2021 1:43 AM

crazy times for him

by Anonymousreply 70June 18, 2021 1:45 AM

I just remembered he turned his back on show business. And started boxing. Then he came back and started doing these really lame movies. And getting this horrible plastic surgery. I guess to replace the boxing injuries. It was all downhill from there.

by Anonymousreply 71June 18, 2021 1:56 AM

Angel Heart was as good as it got

by Anonymousreply 72June 18, 2021 2:02 AM

Nobody mentioned that Epiphany was killed when he stuck a gun in her vagina and fired it?

Or did I make that up? I thought that was part of the scandal/controversy.

And Bill Cosby had the nerve to be offended by Bonet being in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 73June 18, 2021 2:04 AM

nope, it was strongly implied at least. and she was apparently his daughter too

by Anonymousreply 74June 18, 2021 2:04 AM

For some reason, Angel Heart reminds me of Jacob's Ladder but I think the latter is a better movie.

by Anonymousreply 75June 18, 2021 2:12 AM

Didn’t De Niro model his look after Scorsese (the slicked back dark hair and groomed beard), or was that just some critic’s conjecture?

by Anonymousreply 76June 18, 2021 2:15 AM

Yes—that’s how she died—that’s what the fat detective tells him—and it Harry’s gun.. And he was her father—wasn’t that why the child had demon eyes at the end? I remember the explicit violence, sex and implied incest were why it was so controversial.

by Anonymousreply 77June 18, 2021 2:21 AM

Angel Heart was ok... but I loved him in "The Wrestler!" He had destroyed his face with plastic surgery by then but I didn' care because his body was jacked! I used to jack off to the scene where he fucked some whore!

by Anonymousreply 78June 18, 2021 2:23 AM

Interesting that we keep bringing up Adrian Lyne and Alan Parker.

Reading this thread and looking at my own Blu-Ray collection, I own Fame, Foxes, Flashdance, Birdy, 9 1/2 Weeks, Fatal Attraction, Angel Heart, Mississippi Burning, and Jacob's Ladder.

Lyne and Parker made some truly influential films - and many of them have stood the test of time.

Like Norman Jewison, they both were able to move from different genres and tell great stories. But they also had such strong visuals.

by Anonymousreply 79June 18, 2021 2:28 AM

Yes, it's true, r58. Alan Parker claimed in an interview that it was his idea.

Johnny Favorite was Epiphany's father, but not the father of the little boy. The child had "demon eyes" because he was sired by a loa (god) during a ritual. Some people think his eyes match DiNiro's to imply that Lucifer was the spirit who'd mounted her.

A lot of people liked the book, but I thought the story was mediocre until Parker reworked it. The author liked what he did with the storyline, except for adding the pointless child. I like the movie Lucifer better because he guides Johnny/Harry to kill off everyone who helped him get out of his deal- in the book, Lucifer kills everyone himself and merely frames Harry. The dreamlike visuals and the music also gave the story more impact.

[quote]Bill Cosby had the nerve to be offended by Bonet being in this movie.

Cosby actually gave her approval to do it, but then criticized it after its release, because he felt that the film used a black woman and hoodoo for titillation, not to present a well-developed character.

by Anonymousreply 80June 18, 2021 3:54 AM

Yeah, the whole voodoo = devil thing annoyed the shit outta me. Aside from that, the whole movie was pretty tight.

That krusmaek dude at the end - Margaret's dad - was so excited about Johnnie's powers and his deal with the devil.

It was funny how he weirdly admired Johnnie for practicing black magic but was freaked out by his own daughter doing it with him.

by Anonymousreply 81June 18, 2021 4:45 AM

The story in the novel was not "mediocre." It was an absorbing detective/horror story. It's one of my favorite works of horror fiction.

by Anonymousreply 82June 18, 2021 4:52 AM

Mickey and Bobby started their decades-long backbiting feud on the set of this movie, because DeNiro was a Method actor and only wanted to talk to O'Rourke in character, during the scenes. Mickey made a lot of public remarks about DeNiro not being from the streets and thinking he was too good to talk to other actors. He also later thought that DeNiro had blocked him from getting a part in The Irishman. DeNiro denied it, saying that Mickey had never been considered for a part and he had nothing to do with who had been cast.

Alan Parker said that the two actors had very different styles on the set of Angel Heart and that O'Rourke going off script in every scene annoyed Bobby, who supposedly refused to work with him after that.

by Anonymousreply 83June 18, 2021 5:49 AM

I thought Rampling was was so alluring in this.

by Anonymousreply 84June 18, 2021 9:05 AM

Thanks to the fan sharing all of these details about the book/film. So fascinating. This is one of my favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 85June 18, 2021 9:08 AM

I agree, great that DL can do that

by Anonymousreply 86June 18, 2021 12:27 PM

I'm not a fan of the horror genre, but I do remember loving this movie. I don't remember diddly squat about it, but I do remember being very taken by it back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 87June 18, 2021 12:46 PM

I love atmospheric films with great visuals and mood and this is a favorite. The cinematography, the sets, the performances, the music, and the telling of the story are all beautifully done.

The labyrinth of spaces in that Harlem church and the views out to the street, the creepy junkie doctor, Charlotte Rampling's interesting but mummified apartment, Louis Cyphre's creepy fucking egg rolling and the egg shaped fingernails to match, the fans, the elevators, the breathless of so many scenes, that bayou plantation scene where the guy ends up in the giant vat of gumbo and the other grisly deaths, the tension in the scenes with Toots Sweet, and the brilliant fuck scene in a New Orleans deluge with Johnny and Epiphany (one of the best sex scenes in film)... it does what a lot of horror or suspense films only want to do, and does it from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 88June 18, 2021 1:44 PM

Yes R75, I was thinking the same thing. It's because Lyne and Parker came out of the same tradition as Ridley and Tony Scott - British commercial directors who transitioned into features. I think Ridley and Parker led the way with that. It's why the films are so visually striking.

R79, I would add Parker's Shoot The Moon to that list. Devastating look at the disintegration of a marriage, with a great screenplay by Bo Goldman, with Diane Keaton and Albert Finney - Dana Hill is incredible in it, as the young daughter who is just mature enough to feel the impact of it. I never understood all the praise for Noah Baumbach's myopic Marriage Story - it doesn't hold a candle to Shoot The Moon. Lyne's Unfaithful is also worth a viewing, if you haven't seen it already, if only because of what he does with Diane Lane (who always deserved to be in an Adrian Lyne film).

by Anonymousreply 89June 18, 2021 5:29 PM

I disapprove of anything with explicit consensual sex.

by Anonymousreply 90June 18, 2021 5:32 PM

Yeah, who cares what Cosby's critique was? He's in prison and refuses to get therapy so can't get out. That says it all. I've known others like him who will never, ever rethink their lives--they are perfect.

Now that posters have listed the films, I realize all those mentioned were unforgettable to me. Shoot the Moon was amazing. I'm going to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 91June 18, 2021 5:47 PM

I loved this film and saw it in the cinema - you could smoke in those days and I spent much of the film trying to light a match with my thumbnail just like Mickey Rourke. I was actually too young to legally see it. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 92June 18, 2021 5:51 PM

Another film that had that growing sense of horror- falling down the rabbit hole style

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 18, 2021 6:25 PM

Absolutely, R93. I first caught bits and pieces of the director's cut on HBO and was so creeped out I couldn't stop thinking about it. I've gotten over some of the chill factor after seeing the entire film, but--like Hereditary--I actually can't watch it beginning to end with the sound up.

by Anonymousreply 94June 18, 2021 7:28 PM

I love Zodiac for the same reason. The way Fincher perfectly captured 1970s SF with the cinematography and use of period music in what is essentially a horror film is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 95June 18, 2021 10:04 PM

Similar descent into madness, too, r95.

I also enjoyed "zodiac". It does have a similar style.

by Anonymousreply 96June 18, 2021 10:27 PM

The attention to detail in Zodiac is insane. Obviously much of the film is digital recreation, so it’s a lot more polished,. But it’s still, along with Angel Heart, one of my favorite films of all time.

by Anonymousreply 97June 18, 2021 10:35 PM

The lack of polish just adds to the atmosphere of Angel Heart, though. It was a gritty detective story on its face.

Even as a "supernatural" thriller, the lack of polish made it more menacing.

by Anonymousreply 98June 18, 2021 11:08 PM

"The lack of polish just adds to the atmosphere of Angel Heart"

Well maybe it isn't polished per se but AH was rigorously shot and art directed. It's a master class in production design and also cinematography.

by Anonymousreply 99June 18, 2021 11:22 PM

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. My comment referred to the fact that Zodiac is a bit more artificial looking because of many of the digital recreations of external locations, etc. I think they are each amazing in their own right. I love the dingy NYC realism of AH and 9 1/2 Weeks.

by Anonymousreply 100June 18, 2021 11:44 PM

After I saw this movie, I really wanted to go to New Orleans. And I did. A few years later. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 101June 18, 2021 11:44 PM

I can't wantch anything by Fincher anymore. I liked him a lot back in the but it just seems like ALL of his movies--even The Social Network--have the same antiseptic style and mood. I tried to watch Mindhunter but I just felt it was more of the same stuff Fincher has already done.

by Anonymousreply 102June 18, 2021 11:49 PM

R93, it's McCauley's best peformance. Probably because he barely has any lines and [SPOILER ALERT] he dies.

by Anonymousreply 103June 18, 2021 11:50 PM

R102, I find Fincher antiseptic as well but Mindhunter is worth watching, imho, and it's only two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 104June 18, 2021 11:56 PM

I haven't seen this but I get this mixed up with another one that dealt with voodoo with Bill Pullman?

by Anonymousreply 105June 19, 2021 12:19 AM

Yes I like Zodiac because of the attention to detail. The rest of Fibcher’s films aside from Se7en and Fight Club are meh IMO. I haven’t see Girl With The Dragon Tattoo remake because I like the original too much and don’t want to. Antiseptic is a good word to describe it—the attention to perfection gives it an artificiality so that it lacks a needed grittiness. The HBO series The Deuce was like that sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 106June 19, 2021 12:36 AM

It’s tread makes me so happy. I thought I was the only one that really like this movie. It kinda got lost. Such a good creepy thriller. Beautiful scenes of New Orleans. I love the part at the end. When he’s going down to hell in the elevator. That creepy music.

by Anonymousreply 107June 19, 2021 12:53 AM

It’s sad there wasn’t a a better soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 108June 19, 2021 1:03 AM

Angel Heart and Zodiac are two of my favourite films. Dark, scary and completely engrossing. Parker and Fincher tell great stories, though I much prefer Parker because he had more diversity in his filmography.

I love both films because they deal with deep, dark mysteries and obsession.

I think this is what I miss about cinema nowadays -- just telling really good stories, that have suspense and have a strong emotional layer. Good writing. No other agenda than just telling a story visually.

by Anonymousreply 109June 19, 2021 1:52 AM

I love micky Rourke looking sexy. Marc Russo in tight checked pants in zodiac is even better

by Anonymousreply 110June 19, 2021 1:57 AM

Me, too, r109. I'd much rather watch AH than the dumb superhero movies that proliferate these days.

I think the other "voodoo" movie out around the same time was the Serpent and the Rainbow. It showed up on my Prime "because you watched AH" list.

If you have prime, Angel Heart is free. The movie release. I'd like to get the Blu-ray with the commentary that was mentioned upthread.

by Anonymousreply 111June 19, 2021 2:02 AM

Bump for more insight

by Anonymousreply 112June 19, 2021 7:12 PM

The Serpent and the Rainbow is a bad 80s film. No comparison to Angel Heart.

by Anonymousreply 113June 19, 2021 7:17 PM

Mickey Rourke was fantastic in The Wrestler R48, and won every award going but the Oscar, which he should have won too.

by Anonymousreply 114June 19, 2021 7:37 PM

In the novel Epiphany and Harry "shack up" for a few days. During that time she tells him about voodoo and its practices. They spend quiet times together, sitting in front of a fire, having breakfast, reading the morning papers. They are "in love." They also have wild sex together. During one sex romp Epiphany "lathers" she and Harry's "privates" with whipped cream and then they...well, you can guess the rest. It would have been interesting if they had showed THAT in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 115June 19, 2021 7:42 PM

[quote]The Serpent and the Rainbow is a bad 80s film.

It's also an insult to the actual book, which was thoughtfully written by someone allowed to observe rituals with several Haitian voodoo societies.

by Anonymousreply 116June 19, 2021 7:45 PM

Is there any other movies like this? I love creepy thrillers. Can you recommend any? Please

by Anonymousreply 117June 19, 2021 10:15 PM

I liked this film and prefer the domestic remake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 19, 2021 10:25 PM

R114 Rourke didn’t win at SAG. When Penn won there it was all but over for Rourke Oscar wise. Penn was wonderful in Milk and thought more of an actors actor. Rourke was great in the Wrestler, but I think the squandering of his early talent with the shitty movies in the 90s and his general weirdness hurt him in the Oscar voting.

by Anonymousreply 119June 19, 2021 10:43 PM

Rourke is toxic but he made interesting choices in his career. The opening scenes with the meeting between Harry Angel and Louis Cyphere are my favorite bits.This character is the stereotypical hard bitten run down private eye with more than a few secrets. The film didn't perform well but there was a lot of hype for it.

by Anonymousreply 120June 19, 2021 11:00 PM

Night of the Demon, R117. It's old, but very well done, has supernatural stuff, dark mood, and Dana Andrews makes a decent protagonist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 20, 2021 3:24 AM

Agreed R100. The NYC of 9 1/2 Weeks is astounding. There's not much in NYC that looks like that today. Even Fatal Attraction is quite an NYC time capsule too.

by Anonymousreply 122June 20, 2021 5:55 PM

Hey r117 as mentioned, Zodiac is also really worth seeing. It's very long but engrossing.

If you like New Orleans-based thrillers with references to the occult, I recommend Eve's Bayou and The Skeleton Key. I also love Cat People from 1982, though it's not similar to Angel Heart in any way, except that it's set in New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 123June 20, 2021 6:06 PM

I remember sharing 9 1/2 Weeks with a hetero couple I was friends with in college and going on about the film and it’s cinematic merits. All they did was go back to their dorm room and fuck. It was my first realization that most people didn’t appreciate films like I did.

by Anonymousreply 124June 20, 2021 6:29 PM

You might check out Cronos and The Devil’s Backbone—early Guillermo Del Toro.

by Anonymousreply 125June 20, 2021 6:30 PM

Skeleton Key was surprisingly good, r123. The setting is really beautiful. I'd love to see that old house IRL. The swamps fascinate me for some bizarre reason.

I seriously need to visit NOLA. Part of me is afraid I would be disappointed because the city is nothing like it was pre-katrina.

by Anonymousreply 126June 20, 2021 6:48 PM

I visited NOLA psot-Katrina r126 and I still adored it. I'm Canadian so, for me, it was a big deal visiting in 2013.

There's still much to admire about NOLA. The architecture, the parks, the zoo, the swamps, the cemeteries (not something I would normally visit, but they are fascinating), the music, the food!!

I enjoyed the more laidback attitude in NOLA. Nobody rushes you. When I went to Starbucks each morning, they were not pumping out those drinks like they do in NYC or Toronto. I think I waited 15 minutes in line each time and there were usually three customers at a time lol

One of the things I wish I had done was visited all the shooting locations for films like The Skeleton Key, Cat People, Angel Heart, Double Jeopardy, etc. Next time...

by Anonymousreply 127June 20, 2021 6:58 PM

Loved The Skeleton Key. Very creepy. I may have to finally watch Angel Heart tonight.

by Anonymousreply 128June 20, 2021 9:49 PM

I'm another fan of Skeleton Key, although I wouldn't put it in the same league as Angel Heart.

by Anonymousreply 129June 21, 2021 2:48 AM

[quote]If you like New Orleans-based thrillers with references to the occult, I recommend Eve's Bayou and The Skeleton Key

Eve's Bayou is so good, one of my top all-time films.

[quote]When I went to Starbucks each morning, they were not pumping out those drinks like they do in NYC or Toronto. I think I waited 15 minutes in line each time and there were usually three customers at a time lol

That's probably because all the locals were at CC's!

by Anonymousreply 130June 21, 2021 3:09 AM

One of hing that nobody has mentioned is the name of the movie "Angel Heart" which refers to Harry Angel's heart that Johnnie Favorite fucking ATE.

Raw.

by Anonymousreply 131June 21, 2021 7:44 AM

R126, I saw the city for the first time in 2019 and it was magical.

Granted, you have to have a strong tolerance for evil.

by Anonymousreply 132June 21, 2021 7:58 AM

Granted, you have to have a strong tolerance for evil.

How so, r132?

by Anonymousreply 133June 21, 2021 8:24 AM

Oh, I say, R133.

Have you heard of this thing called "the history of New Orleans"?

by Anonymousreply 134June 21, 2021 8:49 AM

Spill, r134!

I am intrigued and want to visit some day. Should I take a hoodoo bag of protection with me?

I don't wanna end up in some seedy hotel room during a satanic orgy as the sacrifice or some shit like that.

by Anonymousreply 135June 21, 2021 10:05 PM

I love NOLA but I did find it a bit scary at night. I'm not really one to get scared or have issues walking around at night by myself, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're on Bourbon Street or in a busy area.

The hotels in NOLA are nice. The one I stayed at was great. I don't recommend staying near Bourbon Street of course if you're sensitive to noise. The architecture in NOLA is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 136June 21, 2021 11:33 PM

As much as I’ve enjoyed and respect this discussion, I went back and watched this for the first time since its release and this film is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 137June 22, 2021 8:14 PM

In what way, r137?

I agree that parts are a bit hard to follow (like the apartment with the red shade and fan in the window during some of the flashbacks) but why do you think it's a mess?

by Anonymousreply 138June 22, 2021 9:36 PM

Alan Parker’s screenplay is a huge mess. It’s like he knew what he wanted to film but doesn’t actually know how to tell the story.

by Anonymousreply 139June 22, 2021 11:05 PM

[quote] . It’s like he knew what he wanted to film but doesn’t actually know how to tell the story.

No kidding

by Anonymousreply 140June 22, 2021 11:11 PM

Suspension of belief required to view Angel Heart, plot lines have holes.

by Anonymousreply 141June 22, 2021 11:32 PM

Suspension of belief is required for most movies, r141.

by Anonymousreply 142June 24, 2021 3:47 AM

It's the point of fiction!

by Anonymousreply 143June 24, 2021 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!